Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

South Carolina, Aiken County Historical Society Historical Markers

 
1953 Gas Explosion Marker along Laurens Street image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, March 14, 2010
1953 Gas Explosion Marker along Laurens Street
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 1953 Gas Explosion
On January 27, 1953, an explosion caused by a natural gas leak killed ten people and destroyed five buildings on the northern half of this block. The five buildings destroyed were Platt's Drug Store, the Jones Electric Company (the site . . . — Map (db m28716) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-23 — Aiken
Aiken, chartered in 1835 and the county seat of Aiken County since its creation in 1871, was an early stop on the railroad line from Charleston to Hamburg. It was named for William Aiken (1779–1831), the first president of the S.C. Canal and . . . — Map (db m9640) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-32 — Aiken County Farmers' Market
The Aiken County Farmers’ Market, founded in 1951, was originally an open air market sponsored by the Edisto Grange. This building, which opened on May 21, 1954, was designed by Woodrow Jackson and built by the Aiken County chain gang. Farmers . . . — Map (db m28630) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-47 — Aiken Hospital / Aiken County Hospital
Aiken Hospital The first public hospital in Aiken, at the corner of Richland Ave. and Vaucluse Rd., was built in 1917 for the Aiken Hospital and Relief Society, with donations from members of the “Aiken Winter Colony.” The City of . . . — Map (db m54518) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-24 — Pickens - Salley House
(Front text) This plantation house, first known as “Edgewood,” is an excellent example of Federal-era architecture. Originally near Edgefield, it was built in 1828 for Francis W. Pickens (1807-1869), state representative and . . . — Map (db m43154) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-19 — Schofield School
This school was founded by the Freedmen's Bureau shortly after the Civil War to educate freedmen, women, and children. In 1868 Martha Schofield, a Quaker from Pennsylvania, came to Aiken and began her long career as superintendent. The school soon . . . — Map (db m28821) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-41 — World War II POW Camp
German prisoners of war were held in a camp on this site from November 1943 to May 1946. This camp, one of 21 in S.C., was at first a sub-camp of the POW camp at Camp Gordon (now Fort Gordon), in Augusta, Ga. It was later a sub-camp of Fort . . . — Map (db m36396) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Eureka — 2-20 — Marie Cromer Seigler House
This house was for many years the home of Marie Cromer Seigler (1882-1964), educator and national pioneer in agricultural instruction. In 1910, as teacher and principal of Talatha School, she founded a Girls' Tomato Club, the first of many such . . . — Map (db m28714) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Graniteville — 2-22 — Graniteville Mill
This mill, the largest textile mill in antebellum S.C., was chartered in 1845 and opened in 1847. It was founded by William Gregg (1800–1867), a Virginia native and advocate of industrial development who chose this site for its proximity . . . — Map (db m9763) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Montmorenci — 2–10 — Pascalis Plantation / Pascalina
Pascalis Plantation Elizabeth Pascalis purchased these 790 acres in 1835, settled here with her son Cyril Ouviere, and brought the orphaned children of her daughter, here, to live. Cyril, a civil engineer, was a resident engineer . . . — Map (db m9797) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement