Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Erie Canal Historical Markers

Markers related to the Erie Canal extending from the Hudson River to Lake Erie.
 
The Erie Canal / Albany Basin Marker image, Touch for more information
By Howard C. Ohlhous, April 11, 2005
The Erie Canal / Albany Basin Marker
New York (Albany County), Albany — The Erie Canal / Albany Basin
The Erie Canal. This site marks the east end of the canal, opened in 1825. It carried products and people between the Hudson River and Lake Erie Albany Basin. For nearly 100 years boats entered the Erie Canal at nearby Lock 1, . . . — Map (db m5174) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Juncta
Junction of the Original Erie and Champlain Canals First Settlement and Name of Cohoes. Site of the First Post Office. — Map (db m6161) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — The Erie Canal — Power Canal Park | Cohoes NY
The Erie Canal flowed through Cohoes along two distinct paths during the 19th century. The first phase, 1825-1841, is commonly referred to as "Clinton's Ditch" after New York Governor DeWitt Clinton, who was the foremost advocate for construction of . . . — Map (db m42224) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Maplewood Historic Park
Site of Erie Canal lock & former Weighlock Bldg.1850-1915 located near "The Juncta" of old Erie and Champlain Canals — Map (db m40996) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — The Erie Canal
For nearly a century, canal boats were pulled by mules and horse over this portion of New York State's famed Erie Canal. One of the slowest and most crowded parts of the waterway started to the north of the Flatts at Maplewood. Here Began the . . . — Map (db m14742) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — The Weighlock Building — 1850-1915
This Greek-revival building was one of several weigh stations along the Canal used to levy the tolls for barges carrying merchandise and farm goods. Until 1850 freight cargoes were measured by the displacement theory, but this hydraulic type . . . — Map (db m40999) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Erie Canal
Completed 1825 Terminus at Hudson River. Locks called Sidecut allowed entry to navigable waters — Map (db m12214) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Brutus — Conduit For Ideas — The Canalway Trail
The Erie Canal tied together western New York and became a conduit for ideas as well as for commerce. Seneca Falls was the site of the first Women's Sufferage convention, organized by Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Lucretia Mott in 1848 to advocate . . . — Map (db m83670) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Brutus — The Boom Years — The Canalway Trail
The opening of the Erie Canal had a huge economic impact on the citizens of New York State. Producers could afford to ship products to previously inaccessible markets at a cost that dropped from $100.00 per ton (by wagon) to just a few dollars. . . . — Map (db m83674) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Brutus — The Erie Canal — The Centreport Aqueduct — Centreport Aqueduct Park
In 1807 Jesse Hawley, a prisoner in the Canandaigua jail, wrote a series of essays proposing a waterway from Lake Erie to the Atlantic Ocean. Following the War of 1812 the settling of western New York and Ohio resulted in an increased demand for . . . — Map (db m83708) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Brutus — The Erie Canal — Historic New York
Construction of the Erie Canal was hailed as the greatest engineering accomplishment to that time. Under the leadership of Governor De Witt Clinton, construction began July 4, 1817. With little technical knowledge, thousands of workers surveyed, . . . — Map (db m88628) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — A Landmark and Pride in Our Community — Byron Lapp Memorial Trail and Montezuma Heritage Park
A Landmark and Pride in Our Community. The Town on Montezuma purchased the lot and is restoring it for it [sic] significance to the town's history. Volunteers helped clear the site and in a community effort has [sic] taken the important first step . . . — Map (db m83561) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — Early Aqueduct
Early Aqueduct This towpath leads to the Richmond Aqueduct built 1849 second largest aqueduct carrying Erie Canal waters over the Seneca River. — Map (db m83562) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — Montezuma Heritage Park — Mural & Historic Markers Dedication — May 4, 2013
In 1828, the Cayuga-Seneca Canal opened in Montezuma allowing transportation of people and goods into the Finger Lakes and beyond by connecting with the Erie Canal at this site. The Exchange Hotel provided lodging for travelers and was the center of . . . — Map (db m83560) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — Old Erie Canal
Old Erie Canal Completed from Utica to here 1819. The "Montezuma" built here was the first boat on the canal. Took passengers to Syracuse 1820. — Map (db m83542) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — Opened in 1828 — Cayuga Seneca Canal
Opened in 1828 Cayuga Seneca Canal Extended navigation of the Erie Canal to Finger Lakes Site of crossover bridge and Exchange Hotel — Map (db m83547) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — A Metaphor for Change — The Canalway Trail
Lock 52 in Port Byron was a busy place prior to 1917. In the vicinity of the lock, you would have seen a bustling waterfront, with dozens of boats locking up or down the canal. At Tanner's Dry Dock, just up the canal from the lock, canal boats were . . . — Map (db m83641) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Blacksmith Shop and Mule Shed — Port Byron / Old Erie Canal Heritage Park
The mules that pulled boats along the Erie Canal were cared for here, fed and shoed. — Map (db m103563) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Glaciers, Drumlins, and High Level Lakes — Port Byron / Old Erie Canal Heritage Park
During the ice ages of the last 2 million years, glaciers sculpted the land surface forming, amongst other features, the many rounded and elongated hills called drumlins that are seen from the Thruway between Rochester and Syracuse. From this . . . — Map (db m103583) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Port Byron's Lock 52
Lock 52 on the Erie Canal was once a busy place. Built in 1851 and lengthened on the berm side in 1887 to accommodate two boats hitched together in tandem, the lock created a popular stopping point for canal boatmen. The 11-foot lift at Lock 52 . . . — Map (db m103581) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Tanner's Dry Dock — The Canalway Trail
The O.B. & H.E. Tanner Dry Dock was established near Lock 52 in Port Byron in 1873, replacing the earlier Ames Dry Dock. In its heydey, Tanner built and repaired a variety of canal boats, employing a crew of 18, including a shipwright, carpenters, . . . — Map (db m83644) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Tanner's Dry Dock
About two hundred feet from here was once the location of the D. B. Tanner Dry Dock, built in 1863 on the former Clinton's Ditch alignment. Craftmen built and repaired canal cargo boats in the dry docks that carried grain, coal, lumber and the . . . — Map (db m103582) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — The Erie Canal in Port Byron — Erie Canal Heritage Park at Port Byron — Today's Canal System in New York
The Erie Canal in Port Byron When the original Erie Canal or "Clinton's Ditch" was completed here in 1819, Port Byron was transformed from a frontier settlement to a thriving canal town. Indeed, the local citizens were so hopeful with the new . . . — Map (db m103580) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — The Erie House — Port Byron / Old Erie Canal Heritage Park
This 1894 saloon and hotel belonged to the Van Detto family, recently arrived Italian immigrants. Located a few hundred feet east of Lock 52, the Erie House was a popular destination for the canal community. — Map (db m103562) HM
New York (Chemung County), Elmira — Chemung Canal
The Chemung Canal 1833-1878 here joined the Chemung River, extending northward linking the river to the Erie Canal via Seneca Lake. — Map (db m32306) HM
New York (Erie County), Amherst — A Dam on Tonawanda Creek — The Canalway Trail: Amherst
A Dam on Tonawanda Creek Tonawanda Creek was the only section of the original Erie Canal that was not man-made. The problem was that the creek level ran 4-½ feet too low. The alleviate this, a wooden dam was constructed in 1823 just west . . . — Map (db m98569) HM
New York (Erie County), Amherst — The Erie Canal at Amherst — Erie Canalway Trail - Amherst
During more than 175 years of existence, the Erie Canal has followed more than one path. In some places, two or three generations of Canal infrastructure still exist side by side. When technology, especially mechanized boats, made it possible for . . . — Map (db m94637) HM
New York (Erie County), Angola — Western New York — Historic New York
Following La Salle's arrival at the Niagara River in 1678, that waterway between Lakes Erie and Ontario became a natural route to and from the river during the 18th century. Permanent settlement of the Western New York began in 1800 following the . . . — Map (db m24593) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — "The Black Rock"
The black rock that gave this area its name was located in the Niagara River at the bend of the present day Niagara Street, near School Street, north of where the Peace Bridge is now situated. Comprised of Onondaga limestone, the rock ledge jutted . . . — Map (db m98187) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — A Changing Waterfront
You are looking across a restoration of the Commercial Slip, originally the western terminus of the Erie Canal. In its heyday, this area was one of the world's great transportation centers, teeming with canal, lake, and rail traffic, a busy port . . . — Map (db m84559) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Black Rock
Black Rock Neighborhood The Black Rock neighborhood has endured for over 200 years and is the oldest intact neighborhood in the City of Buffalo. Black Rock was once an independent village and rival of the Village of Buffalo. The neighborhood . . . — Map (db m93804) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Black Rock Harbor — June 1823
Black Rock Harbor June 1823 Designated as the western most Port of the Erie Canal for Transfer of passengers and cargo — Map (db m57121) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Buffalo - A Network of Canals — Sail Lofts, Stables, Grain Elevators, Brothels, Saloons
Commercial Slip connected the Buffalo River to the Erie Canal mainline, 100 yards northeast of this site. It marked the original terminus of the Erie Canal, but was soon joined by many other artificial waterways around Buffalo Harbor. As commerce . . . — Map (db m84868) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Buffalo - An Industrial Powerhouse — Tanneries, Clothiers, Piano Makers, Saddlers and Breweries
Already a major transportation center, Buffalo was evolving into a center of industry and and manufacturing. At the height of the canal era, in the mid-1800s, countless manufacturing enterprises took advantage of the huge volume of raw materials . . . — Map (db m84897) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Buffalo - Queen City of the Lakes — Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor
When the Erie Canal was completed here in October 1825, Buffalo was transformed from a small lakefront hamlet to a thriving muscular metropolis. Buffalo was the port where grain, lumber, and other products from the interior of the American continent . . . — Map (db m84859) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Buffalo Riverfront Historical Eras to 1930
Pre-1800 The Ongiara Confluence of Little Buffalo Creek and the Buffalo River with Lake Erie in the background, 1815. The region's original inhabitants were the Ongiara, a peaceful Iroquois tribe, from whom the name Niagara is derived. Long . . . — Map (db m84777) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor
The Erie Canal was America's most successful and influential public works project. Completed in 1825, the 363-mile-long waterway established the first all-water route for navigation between the Atlantic Ocean and the upper Great Lakes, opened the . . . — Map (db m84822) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — From Frontier to Major City / Buffalo City Hall — Buffalo History and Architecture — Niagara Square West
From Frontier to Major City In the early 1800s, Buffalo was a sleepy village known as New Amsterdam, on the edge of America's then western frontier. Holland Land Company surveyor Joseph Ellicott, inspired by Pierre L'Enfant's radial street . . . — Map (db m92798) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Harboring Hopes
There was fierce competition between Buffalo and Black Rock for the Canal's western terminus. Albany, the link to New York City, emerged as the perfect choice for the eastern end of the Canal. The western end was a far less obvious proposition. . . . — Map (db m84496) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Hunting and Fishing off the Porch
Residents of the "Towpath" fished and hunted the Erie Canal from a cluster of weather beaten homes, hunting and fishing clubs, taverns and stores leaning at strange angles, perched on wobbly stilts. Fishing was a popular pastime, as well as an . . . — Map (db m80459) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Improvements in Ship Design — The Industrial Heritage Trail
The maritime industry of the Great Lakes expanded greatly after completion of the Erie Canal in 1825. The canal allowed a growing U.S. population into the Midwest, which turned the Great Lakes into busy nautical highways for moving wheat, corn, . . . — Map (db m86025) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Lighthouse Point Park
Welcome to one of the most historic places in Buffalo - the place where villagers built a harbor that, in turn, built a city. The parkland, promenade and restored lighthouse here were once key elements of the old Port of Buffalo. Early in the 19th . . . — Map (db m84923) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Our Legacy of Abundant Water — Buffalo History and Architecture — Niagara Square South
The presence of a vast inland sea and its wide river tributary in western New York soon attracted settlers. The tiny village of Black Rock, north of Ellicott's Niagara Square, was expected to flourish, however, not Buffalo. Black Rock already has an . . . — Map (db m92835) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Rebirth & Renewal
In 1926, the Hamburg drain, a major sewer line draining South Buffalo was built; as a result, the Commercial Slip, the Erie Canal's original western terminus, was filled in. Today the Commercial Slip has been restored: the redesign incorporates . . . — Map (db m84477) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Big Picture
The background map is based on an early 20th century map surveying the canal system of New York, expanded to show the network of shipping routes that grew in the wake of the Erie Canal. There is no clearer picture of America's growing economy: the . . . — Map (db m84908) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Early Grain Trade / Influence of the Erie Canal — The Industrial Heritage Trail
Wheat was one of the first agricultural products planted by European colonists in the New World. In colonial times, it was not only a staple of life, but also became an item of national and foreign trade. The western movement of population . . . — Map (db m85538) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Engineers of the Grain Elevators — The Industrial Heritage Trail
During the first half of the twentieth century, over 30 concrete grain elevators lined Buffalo's inner and outer harbors, representing the culmination of over 60 years of grain elevator design. Beginning in 1842 with entrepreneur Joseph Dart and . . . — Map (db m85435) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Erie Canal / Two Waterfronts
The Erie Canal This site marks the west end of the canal opened in 1825. It carried products and people between Lake Erie and the Hudson River. Two Waterfronts The convergence of lake and canal made possible the . . . — Map (db m84473) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The First Grain Elevator / Early Grain Elevators — The Industrial Heritage Trail
In the years following the opening of the Erie Canal, Buffalo's harbor was becoming increasingly clogged with ships awaiting their turns to unload their cargos. A full team of dock workers could unload at most 2,000 bushels a day, and even then, . . . — Map (db m85530) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Grain Industry Decline / Buffalo's Grain Legacy — The Industrial Heritage Trail
Buffalo was the leading wheat market in the United States for the first three decades of the twentieth century. However, by the 1930s, Buffalo's strategic position in the grain trade weakened as U.S. and Canadian grain began to bypass the port's . . . — Map (db m85484) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Grand Canal
Skeptics dubbed the project "Clinton's Folly" and "Clinton's Ditch" when construction of the Erie Canal began near Rome on July 4, 1817, deriding both the project and its principal promoter. Things were very different by October 24, 1825 when . . . — Map (db m84848) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Industrial Heritage Trail — Monuments to the Movement of Grain — Maritime Heritage
Lifting Buffalo to World Renown. In 1924 Buffalo led the world in handling grain. 300,000,000 bushels passed throught Buffalo harbor, unloaded, lifted, stored, and reloaded by the grain elevators that still stand tall along the banks of the . . . — Map (db m84694) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Wedding of the Waters — The Completion of the Erie Canal
It was at this spot on the morning of October 26, 1825, that Governor DeWitt Clinton officially opened the waterway that transformed America. More than eight years had passed since he broke ground on the canal, and after 363 miles, the engineering . . . — Map (db m84500)
New York (Erie County), Clarence — Niagara Frontier — Historic New York
The Niagara River between Lakes Ontario and Erie was the natural route to the interior of the continent. Following the arrival of French explorers in 1678, missionaries, traders, troops and settlers traveled by its waters. At the outlet of the . . . — Map (db m57072) HM
New York (Erie County), Grand Island — Strawberry Island — Past to Present
Strawberry Island formed near the end of the Wisconsin Ice Age about 12,000 years ago. When meltwaters broke through gracial till and created the present course of the Niagara River, gravel and sand carried downstream by river currents settled out . . . — Map (db m101061) HM
New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — City of Tonawanda — A Community Built Around Lumber
Welcome to Tonawanda Gateway Harbor - where the Niagara River meets the Erie Canal. Prior to the 1800's this area was a wilderness frequently traversed by Seneca Indians from the Iroquois Confederacy. The first known white settlers were Henry . . . — Map (db m87802) HM
New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — Engineering the Erie Canal
You are standing on the bed of the Erie Canal, a 363 mile long, 40 ft. wide, 7 ft. deep "ditich" built from 1817 to 1825 that connected Lake Erie waters with the Hudson River and ultimately the Atlantic Ocean. It unleashed a flood of products, . . . — Map (db m98540) HM
New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — Erie Canal Site
To avoid the strong current of the mighty Niagara River, the Erie Canal was built adjacent to the river from here to Buffalo in 1825. — Map (db m78352) HM
New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — Gastown — Erie Canalway Trail
In 1884, the Tonawanda Gas Light Company was incorporated to supply gas to both Tonawanda and North Tonawanda for street and house lighting. The "gas works" was located on property once owned by Mary Long. Between the Canandaigua and Erie . . . — Map (db m87872) HM
New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — Gateway to the West
During the 1800s, many Americans and newly arrived immigrants were eager to move west, but this undertaking proved difficult because of the Appalachian Mountains. A natural barrier running from Alabama through Pennsylvania, New York and on into . . . — Map (db m77385) HM
New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — Lumber Capital
Thanks to the Erie Canal, the Niagara River, a naturally commodious harbor and a growing railroad center, the Tonawandas became a thriving lumber port during the last half of the nineteenth century. Lumber from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and . . . — Map (db m77350) HM
New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — The Dam
An Overview In the spring of 1823, work on the Erie Canal at this end of the state began with the building of a dam. Its purpose was to raise the water level of Tonawanda Creek 4 to 4 1/2 feet so that its ten-mile stretch between Pendleton . . . — Map (db m77499) HM
New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — The Long Homestead
In December of 1828, Benjamin and Mary Hershe Long arrived here from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, in a covered wagon drawn by oxen. With them were their five daughters, ranging in age from 6 months to 16 years.

Their home, built the . . . — Map (db m77330) HM

New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — The People — Erie Canalway Trail
Life on the Canal Boat The average canal boat owner was a family man, and often his family traveled the canal with him. Living quarters were the cabin under the stern deck and in the small space a woman did her washing and ironing in addition to . . . — Map (db m87777) HM
New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — The Railroad
Rise of the Railroad On August 26, 1836, the first steam locomotive in Western New York made its maiden run between Black Rock and Tonawanda at a speed of 15 - 20 miles an hour. By the 5th of November that same year, regular trips were made . . . — Map (db m77302) HM
New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — Westward to Buffalo — Niagara River Greenway
The westernmost leg of the Erie Canal completed in 1825 followed a route paralleling the Niagara River between Tonawanda and Buffalo. From where you are standing, the Canal travelled some ten miles through the mostly unsettled Township of Tonawanda . . . — Map (db m98556) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — Herkimer Little-Falls Area — Historic New York
Where the Mohawk Valley narrows and pierces the ridge separating the Great Lakes from the Atlantic watershed were "The Little Falls," the first portage in travel up the river. Here lived the Canajoharie Indians, the Mohawk Upper Castle. The . . . — Map (db m64986) HM
New York (Kings County), Brooklyn — Governor DeWitt Clinton
Born March 2, 1769 at Little Britain, New York, DeWitt Clinton was one of the greatest statesmen produced by the State of New York. He was a State Senator, United States Senator, Mayor of the City of New York and Governor of the State of New York. . . . — Map (db m40099) HM
New York (Livingston County), Nunda — Lock 42
Lock 42 in use from 1851-1878 on the Genesee Valley Canal. Canal linked Erie Canal in Rochester with Allegheny River near Olean NY. — Map (db m87689) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — The Erie Canal — Historic New York
Construction of the Erie Canal was hailed as the greatest engineering accomplishment to that time. Under the leadership of Governor De Witt Clinton, construction began July 4, 1817. With little technical knowledge, thousands of workers surveyed, . . . — Map (db m65012) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brockport — Brockport and the Canal
The opening of the Brockport to Buffalo section in October 1825 marked the completion of the 348 mile Erie Canal. By linking the Hudson River with the Great Lakes, the Canal provided the first economical means of transportation from the eastern . . . — Map (db m75943) HM
New York (Monroe County), Brockport — Canal Commerce in Brockport — Luther Gordon, the spirit of canal commerce in Brockport
1. Luther Gordon epitomized Brockport's involvement in canal commerce during its heyday. He owned a sawmill and 7,000 acres of timberland in Michigan and transported logs via the Great Lakes and the canal to his Brockport sawmill and planing . . . — Map (db m75934) HM
New York (Monroe County), Bushnell's Basin — Bushnell's Basin
Historic District Western Terminus Erie Canal 1822-1825 1800's farming community Trolley stop R&E Railroad — Map (db m57681) HM
New York (Monroe County), Bushnell's Basin — Richardson Tavern
Beside old Erie Towpath at Hartwell's, now Bushnell's Basin, near Great Embankment western canal terminal 1821-1823 Shipping port until after 1850. — Map (db m62001) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Fullam's Basin
Early rival of Fairport. Named for Elisha Fullam. From this settlement Erie Canal passengers often took stage to Rochester. — Map (db m65106) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — New York State Canals — The Great American Canal
The Erie Canal was the most important of America’s inland waterways. It facilitated the opening of the American frontier and provided a route west for tens of thousands of settlers and immigrants. Villages, towns, and cities were born along its . . . — Map (db m65107) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Old Erie Canal — 1825-1975
150th Anniversary commemorated Sept. 1975 — Map (db m57770) HM
New York (Monroe County), Greece — Henpeck
The Port of South Greece with the "8 Mile Grocery" and post office, School No. 12, apple dryhouse, 25 houses, and 2 doctors' offices was a busy Erie Canal stop in the 1800s. — Map (db m58066) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Cartersville
An active shipping port on the Erie Canal. Horses were changed here in the Towpath era. — Map (db m61913) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Erie Canal — Albany to Buffalo
Begun 1817, completed 1825. Enlarged 1850's and early 1900's. This section opened 1822, making Pittsford an active commercial port. — Map (db m57405) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Erie Canal — Heritage Trail
"The Great Embankment" completed 1822 is one mile long, 70 feet high across Irondequoit Creek Valley — Map (db m57427) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Phoenix Hotel
Federal style inn built about 1812 to serve Erie Canal and turnpike trade. Restored in 1967 — Map (db m57428) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Spring House - 1822
Resort hotel on stage route and near old lock 62 on the original Erie Canal renowned for sulphur springs nearby — Map (db m57431) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Crossroads of Transportation — Rochester transitions from horse & wagon to canals, railroads, subway, buses and automobiles
Canals provide an inexpensive way to move people and goods 1825 The Erie Canal The Erie Canal connects the Hudson River and Lake Erie. The 363 miles of navigable waterway provided a cost-efficient way to transport goods to and from the . . . — Map (db m61901) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Curtis Point
Dedicated by the County of Monroe and the City of Rochester in honor of Ted Curtis Visionary advocate for the City of Rochester, the Genesee River and the Erie Canal 14 July 2011 On the 20th anniversary of the Corn Hill Waterfront & . . . — Map (db m57771) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Erie Canal
Officially opened on October 26, 1825, the Erie Canal stretched 363 miles from Albany to Buffalo, connecting the Great Lakes with the Hudson River and the Port of New York. It carried thousands of pioneers from the east to Rochester and cut the cost . . . — Map (db m62082) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark — Erie Canal
National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark The Erie Canal Begun at Rome, N.Y., July 4, 1817 - Completed 1825 Benjamin Wright (1770-1842) Chief Engineer ASCE 1967 — Map (db m63996) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Second Erie Canal Aqueduct
Second Erie Canal Aqueduct Over Genesee River - Lower Level completed in 1842 Outstanding example of Erie Canal Construction and engineering Built in conjunction with the first major improvement and enlargement of the canal Nathan S. . . . — Map (db m63995) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Transportation and Commerce
From Seneca fording place to aqueduct and bridge — a perpetual crossing place Erie Canal Rerouted South of the City and out of Downtown The last canal boat passed through the Erie Canal in downtown Rochester in 1919. The city had . . . — Map (db m65116) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Widewaters Field
These stones from the first aqueduct and the locks were set October 30, 1926 at the eastern widewaters to commemorate the first centenary of the Erie Canal presented to the City of Rochester — Map (db m57403) HM
New York (Monroe County), Scottsville — Genesee Valley — Historic New York
The Genesee River rises in Pennsylvania and flows northward 150 miles before emptying into Lake Ontario. Starting as a placid stream, the Genesee, in Letchworth State Park, plunges over three impressive cataracts, dropping 300 feet in three miles. . . . — Map (db m57085) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Sweet Canal Store
»————› Built circa 1850 to service Barges on Erie Canal, served As store and forwarding Warehouse for goods shipped Across river to Amsterdam — Map (db m50148) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Hunter — Building Block of the Erie Canal
Limestone was used to build locks, aqueducts, and other features throughout New York State's canal system both because of its availability and its durability. This limestone block was a capstone from the Schoharie Aqueduct. Local limestone formed . . . — Map (db m64591) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Hunter — Lock 30
Lock 30 of the Enlarged Erie Canal was built between 1838 and 1841 in this location to allow for the efficient operation of the Schoharie Aqueduct, which carried the canal over, and totally apart from, the Schoharie Creek. Prior to the aqueduct's . . . — Map (db m66552) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Hunter — Putman's Lock Grocery
Putman's Lock Grocery, owned by the Garret Putman family from 1855 into the 1900s, is typical of the many stores which lined the canal. Part of the store, which contained living quarters and rooms for rent, was destoyed by fire in the 1930s. The . . . — Map (db m47503) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Hunter — Site of Queen Anne Chapel
Site of Queen Anne Chapel Built 1711-12 for use of Mohawk Indians. Torn down 1821 to make way for Erie Canal — Map (db m47295) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Root — Dam. That's Not a Bridge?
Mighty floods sweep down the Mohawk almost every spring. Builders of the original Erie Canal recognized the river's power and laid out their artificial waterway well above flood levels. Barge Canal engineers dredged river channels and replaced stone . . . — Map (db m97601) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Root — Then and Now
Although basic principles of operation remain the same, locks along the Erie Canal have changed over the years. The canal's first locks, products of careful stonework by masons, measured 15 feet wide and 90 feet long. The concrete lock that you see . . . — Map (db m97634) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Root — Transportation is King / Modernization
Transportation is King The world kept changing, and the Erie Canal along with it. Completed in 1825, the Canal has been rebuilt - or enlarged - twice. The original Erie Canal, known as Clinton's Ditch, was only 40 feet wide and four feet deep. New . . . — Map (db m97633) HM
New York (New York County), New York — The Story of a Lighthouse
The Hudson River was essential to the history and economic development of New York. The river provided food for early settlers and is still an important waterway for commerce, which led to the expansion and growth of the City. The recognized source . . . — Map (db m41584) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 4 — “Lockport Flight of Five”
To overcome the great elevation of the Niagara Escarpment, the original canal builders constructed a unique flight of 5 double locks, to lower easterly and raise westerly bound boats some sixty feet. The Erie Canal was constructed in three . . . — Map (db m76938) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 13 — Barge Tie Ups & lock view looking west
When the Barge Canal opened on May 15, 1918, a large steam tug was chartered by the government to tow state boats on the new canal. The wages were based on a monthly scale for a twelve-hour workday and included board. The Captain received $175 per . . . — Map (db m76998) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Big Bridge
Big Bridge. One of the widest bridges in the world; 399 ft. in width, 129 ft. in length. Built 1914. — Map (db m70644) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Canal Bridge No. E-224 — Canal Road
Originally Millards Hwy. Bridge. Built 1910 by Empire Engineering Corp. Rehabilitated 1993 by N.Y.S.D.O.T. — Map (db m77554) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Canal Bridge No. E-225 — Day Road
Originally Wakeman's Hwy. Bridge. Built 1909 by Empire Engineering Corp. Rehabilitated 2003 by N.Y.S.D.O.T. — Map (db m77553) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Canal Comparisons
To see the comparison table click on the image to the right to enlarge it Sidebar on the right Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) Was the third President of the United States. In 1808 a delegation from the state of New York approached . . . — Map (db m76963) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 6 — Electric Building
Originally built in 1826 for visionary businessman Lyman A. Spalding, the smaller three-story stone building built on this site became the Norman & Evans Iron Foundry. After the building burned in 1840, it was rebuilt several times and enlarged to . . . — Map (db m76996) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 12 — Life on the Barges
Life aboard the canal barges involved hard work. All members of the family had important roles. The man would be in charge of the animals and manage the entire operation. The wife (and mother) had many chores in addition to caring for the household. . . . — Map (db m76893) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 7 — Lock Construction
From the original Erie Canal to the Barge Canal System, crossing the Niagara Escarpment posed immense challenges to canal engineers. The first Lockport locks were designed by Nathan Roberts, who was in charge of constructing the Erie Canal from . . . — Map (db m76954) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Lockport — The Canalway Trail
After the Erie Canal opened in 1825, Lockport changed from a village of log cabins filled with construction workers into an industrial city. English traveler, Francis Trollope describing Lockport said that "It looks as if the demon of machinery, . . . — Map (db m77812) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Lockport Locks — Erected August 16, 1975
In commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the completion of the original locks which opened a connecting waterway between the Hudson River and the Great Lakes. This completion of the Erie Canal was the opening of a door to the settling of the . . . — Map (db m65659) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 1 — Lockport Municipal Building
The City of Lockport wishes to express its appreciation to City Historian William H. Riley (1922-1990) for his dedication, assistance, patience and love for the City of Lockport, New York. Riley’s Way: a walking tour on the Erie Canal is . . . — Map (db m76962) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 10 — Lower Lock Construction
In 1903, the people of New York voted to build the Barge Canal System. The new canal, unlike the old, utilized canalized natural water courses as well as artificial channels. The new concrete locks (57 in all) were electrically operated and could . . . — Map (db m76934) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 5 — Old City Hall
In 1864, Dwight Keep constructed this typical canal era stone structure which began as the Benjamin C. Moore Company Mill. Around 1884, the building was converted from a flour mill to one of the first water pumping plants in America. The Holly Water . . . — Map (db m76994) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 11 — Old Locks West
“The site of the locks at Lockport, from the time of the original canal to the present had never changed. The early engineers found the logical location for locks in this vicinity and the same place has been used ever since. The romance of . . . — Map (db m76892) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The "Deep Cut" at Lockport
The "Deep Cut" at Lockport Here, only several miles from Lake Erie, Canal engineers faced a major natural barrier. To tap the water of Lake Erie and keep boats afloat, they knew the canal's channel had to flow downhill from the lake. But the . . . — Map (db m93026) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 2 — The “Big Bridge”
The first bridge across the canal in Lockport was located a the extreme eastern end of the Big Bridge. It was a narrow log bridge, only wide enough for one way traffic, with a log on either side for guard rails. Called the “Main Street . . . — Map (db m76955) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Erie Barge Canal at Lockport
The New York State Barge Canal System is 524 miles long of which 348 miles is within the Erie Barge Canal. Although water depths vary, the depth of the water in the Lockport section is approximately 8 - 12 feet.

The Lockport Locks Nos. 34 and . . . — Map (db m74517) HM

New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Great American Canal — The Canal System
Different panels appear on opposite sides of the marker The Erie Canal was the most important of America’s inland waterways. It facilitated the opening of the American frontier and provided a route west for tens of thousands of settlers . . . — Map (db m76895) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Sluice and Hall Spillway
Three waterways: Culvert No. 125, the old raceway, and Eighteen Mile Creek, met the canal in this area.

The old raceway entered the canal about 125 feet east of this point and has since been abandoned. It was used to supply the lower level of . . . — Map (db m74791) HM

New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 9 — Tour Boat Then & Now
A packet boat was upwards of 80 feet long, 9 feet wide at is extreme breadth, with 50 feet of cabin space in the center for passengers. This left 10 feet of space in the prow and 20 feet for the steerage deck. The long but narrow cabin was . . . — Map (db m76935) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 8 — Upper Locks View
The canal ride from Rochester to Lockport was some what of a lark. The Long Level, as it was known, was a 63 mile trip uninterrupted by locks. The approach to Lockport, after all, marked the next to last stop in a long, weary trip across the state. . . . — Map (db m76894) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 14 — Upson Park
The Raceway Tunnel was invented by Birdsell Holly. Blasting for the tunnel began in 1858. Construction of the 2,430 foot tunnel took 18 months. The tunnel contains old gates and ruins of buildings from the beginning of the Industrial Age. The cave . . . — Map (db m76936) HM
New York (Niagara County), Pendleton — Controlling Water in the Erie Canal — Erie Canalway Trail
Controlling Water in the Erie Canal Since 1825 it has been necessary to protect the Erie Canal from flooding or low water in the Tonawanda Creek, which has historically been part [of] the canal route. As the canal has evolved since then different . . . — Map (db m92390) HM
New York (Niagara County), Pendleton — Grand Erie Canal
At 9:00 am on the twenty-sixth day of October eighteen hundred and twenty-five, the Grand Erie Canal was officially opened. In Buffalo at the foot of Main Street, Governer DeWitt Clinton boarded the packet boat, Seneca Chief, which was elegantly . . . — Map (db m74004) HM
New York (Niagara County), Pendleton — Pendleton
Erie Canal village & portage at Tonawanda Creek junction Sylvester Pendleton Clark first Postmaster & tavern settled 1821 — Map (db m78378) HM
New York (Niagara County), Royalton — 150th Anniversary — May 23, 1976
Gas Port, formerly called James' Port, was the name suggested by George W. Clinton when he and a group of scientists came to this place on the canal where "considerable quantities of gas bubbled through the water." On his return journey May 26, 1826 . . . — Map (db m81811) HM
New York (Niagara County), Royalton — Gasport — The Canalway Trail
[west side] The Erie Canal served as a natural classroom for engineers and scholars. During planning and construction, engineers learned to overcome a variety of natural obstacles. After the canal opened, scholars and students learned from the . . . — Map (db m81822) HM
New York (Oneida County), Rome — Clinton's Ditch — (Old Erie Canal)
Construction began in Rome N.Y. on July 4, 1817. The canal measured 40'x 28'x 4' and was 363 miles long. It went from Albany to Buffalo and was used into the 1830's. — Map (db m54216) HM
New York (Oneida County), Rome — Erie Canal
Construction began here July 4, 1817. First boat trip from Rome to Utica Oct. 22, 1819. 363 Mile Canal completed Oct. 20, 1825 — Map (db m11952) HM
New York (Oneida County), Rome — Erie Canal Enlargement
Begun in the 1830's and enlarged to 70'x 56'x 7'. The improvement included double and larger locks and the capacity of handling more traffic. The enlargement was used until 1918 when the barge canal opened and horse-drawn boats became a thing of the . . . — Map (db m54197) HM
New York (Oneida County), Rome — The Erie Canal - July 4, 1817 — Historic New York
The ceremonies outside the village of Rome on Independence Day, 1817, climaxed years of discussion about building the Erie Canal. Dignitaries and local citizens assembled at sunrise to attend the start of construction. Judge Joshua Hathaway, a . . . — Map (db m50330) HM
New York (Oneida County), Westmoreland — Utica Area — Historic New York
Historic New York Utica Area Situated on the important Mohawk Valley route between the Hudson River and the Great Lakes, Utica has long been a travel crossroads. Indian trails converged there, and Fort Schuyler was built on the site . . . — Map (db m54343) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Camillus — 9 Mile Creek Aqueduct
[Obverse]: 9 Mile Creek Aqueduct Built 1842 By NY State. In Use 1845 - 1918, Replacing 1819 Aqueduct Located Just Downstream. One of 32 On The 19th Century Erie Canal. Canal Society of N.Y.S. . . . — Map (db m24186) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Jordan — Erie Canal
Opened 1819 in Jordan Abandoned Fall of 1917 Aqueduct built 1841 when the canal was enlarged Canal Park built 1932 — Map (db m12544) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Syracuse Area — Historic New York
Onondaga Indians, the keepers of the council fires for the Iroquois League, lived here. French soldiers and Jesuit missionaries came from Canada in 1654 to seek their friendship. In that year, Father Simon Le Moyne discovered salt springs in the . . . — Map (db m57112) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Syracuse Area — Historic New York
Onondaga Indians, the keepers of the council fires for the Iroquois League, lived here. French soldiers and Jesuit missionaries came from Canada in 1654 to seek their friendship. In that year, Father Simon LeMoyne discovered salt springs in the . . . — Map (db m64982) HM
New York (Ontario County), Geneva — Cayuga-Seneca Canal Entrance
At this point in 1828, water from Seneca Lake was first released into the newly constructed Cayuga-Seneca Canal, forming a navigable link to the Erie Canal. The waterway enabled commerce to flow between Seneca and the Hudson River and soon became an . . . — Map (db m60113) HM
New York (Ontario County), Victor — Rochester Area — Historic New York
Seneca Indians often camped along the lower Genesee River where Rochester eventually developed. During the 17th century, French soldiers and missionaries visited the area. In 1803, Nathaniel Rochester, William Fitzhugh and Charles Carroll of . . . — Map (db m57114) HM
New York (Orleans County), Albion — Calamity Sept. 28, 1859
250 people & 5 horses gathered here on a wooden bridge to watch a tightrope walker cross the canal. It collapsed killing 15 people — Map (db m78125) HM
New York (Orleans County), Albion — Erie Canal 1825
Main passage to the west Became NYS Barge Canal 1903 Newport (now Albion) grew at planned canal and Oak Orchard Road after 1821 — Map (db m78122) HM
New York (Orleans County), Holley — 1823 Canal Bed
1823 Canal Bed Site of the only original loop of "Clinton's Ditch," still visible west of Rochester — Map (db m92512) HM
New York (Orleans County), Holley — The Holley Loop — The Canalway Trail
The Holley Loop The unusually deep ravine formed by the east branch of the Sandy Creek presented a difficult engineering problem for the builders of the original Erie Canal in the early 1820s. Engineers decided to diverge from the canal's general . . . — Map (db m92515) HM
New York (Orleans County), Kendall — Norway Colony
Norway Colony Site of first Norwegian settlement in America, 1825. The "Sloopers" were the first immigrant group to travel on the completed Erie Canal. — Map (db m90135) HM
New York (Orleans County), Medina — John Ryan 1801-96 / Medina Sandstone
[facing west] John Ryan 1801-96 The first to establish a stone quarry business here in 1837 naming his product Medina Sandstone. (over) [facing east] Medina Sandstone Used for paving blocks, walks, curbs and in . . . — Map (db m77920) HM
New York (Orleans County), Ridgeway — 1833 Servoss-Hagood House — National Register of Historic Places
1833 Servoss-Hagood House National Register of Historic Places A fine example of Greek revival architecture, the Servoss-Hagood House is further distinguished by its plank-on-plank construction. The home was built by Erie Canal workers, . . . — Map (db m83357) HM
New York (Orleans County), Ridgeway — The Culvert Road
Only road under the Erie Canal in Ripley's Believe It Or Not. Culvert built in 1823. — Map (db m81992) HM
New York (Orleans County), Ridgeway — The Medina Culvert
The first and only road culvert ever built under the Erie Canal passes directly below here. The culvert was built in 1823 during construction of Clinton's Ditch. Its cornerstone, which still exists, is part of the foundation of the Vernon Toussaint . . . — Map (db m81988) HM
New York (Orleans County), Ridgeway — Unlock the Adventure — The Canalway Trail — An Agricultural Highway
[east side] Welcome to the Canalway Trail System, offering hundreds of miles of scenic trails and numerous parks for walking, bicycling, cross country skiing and other recreational activities. The Canalway Trail parallels the New York State Canal . . . — Map (db m82030) HM
New York (Rockland County), Stony Point — The Lighthouse at Stony Point
In the 19th century, improved navigational aids were required, as the number of commercial vessels increased. In 1825, the Erie Canal was opened, allowing ships to sail from the Great lakes to the Atlantic Ocean by way of the Hudson River, a tidal . . . — Map (db m11693) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Clutes Dry Dock
Volvyder's Dry Dock, 1825. Re-established by Nicholas Clute, 1852. Canal boats built and repaired here. Settlement abandoned 1907. — Map (db m49876) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Erie Canal
Canal Dug in 1822 and enlarged in 1842. Remains of both canals are evident. Opened from Albany to Buffalo, 1825. — Map (db m12059) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Aqueduct, 1842
Aqueduct, 1842 Second aqueduct erected on site to carry Erie Canal across Mohawk River. Nearby are Locks 21 & 22 and a former canal store. — Map (db m37826) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Stillwater — Surviving Portion of Champlain Canal
Built in the 1820s, many years after the Revolutionary War, this section of the Champlain Canal followed the same natural north-south route chosen by Burgoyne’s invading army. Linking the Hudson River with Lake Champlain, the canal joined northern . . . — Map (db m36829) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Vischer Ferry — Cast Iron Whipple Truss Bridge, 1869
This bridge was designed and built by Squire Whipple (1804-1887), a Union college graduate, class of 1830. Originally erected over the Erie Canal at Fultonville in Montgomery County, the bridge was moved after the canal closed in 1917 to the . . . — Map (db m59702) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Vischer Ferry — Lock 19
Double chamber lock for raising-lowering boats. Built 1842 during enlarge- ment of Erie Canal. Far chamber lengthened 1885. — Map (db m59685) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Vischer Ferry — Whipple Iron Truss Bridge
Gift of the Citizens of Montgomery County Originally built by Squire Whipple across the Enlarged Erie Canal at Sprakers in 1869 This type of bridge was adopted by the Canal Commissioners in the 1850s as the standard iron bridge to cross the . . . — Map (db m59693) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Waterford — Lock 2 Park
[Front Side- Left Panel] Welcome to Lock 2 Park You may continue across Lock 2 to stay on the Champlain Trail to access: •Garret Field •Old River Lock #4 •The Waterford Rural Cemetery •The Northside Business District . . . — Map (db m50971) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam — Enlarged Erie Canal Lock 23 — Erie Canal Lock 23
The stonework surrounding you is the remains of lock 23 of the Enlarged Erie Canal. Canal boats, drawn by mules and horses, passed through the chambers on either side of you on their way toward revolutionizing transportation in the mid-nineteenth . . . — Map (db m25101) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam — Enlarged Lock 23
About 3000 feet from modern Lock 8 is Lock 23, built in 1841 during the enlargement of the Erie Canal (1836-1862). It replaced original Erie Canal Lock 26. Enlarging the canal became imperative by the mid-1830's after user demand outstripped the . . . — Map (db m93716) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam — Gateway Landing — Schenectady Harbor 1660 - 1820
Head of navigation on the Mohawk, this thriving gateway post funneled traders, soldiers and settlers west for over 160 years. Warehouses -- filled with furs, grain, salt, potash and other goods -- lined the far bank of the Binnekill. Hundreds of . . . — Map (db m53146) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Stockade Historic District
The Seventeenth Century The Schenectady Stockade is one of the oldest communities in America. Founded by the Dutch on land purchased from the Mohawk Indians in 1661, it came under English rule three years later. From the earliest days a timber . . . — Map (db m58817) HM
New York (Schuyler County), Burdett — Warehouse
On this site in 1823 a vessel loaded 70 tons of wheat and reached port of New York through the Erie Canal. — Map (db m68613) HM
New York (Seneca County), Waterloo — The Finger Lakes — Historic New York
The Finger Lakes of central New York occupy deep north-south valleys bordered by beautiful sloping shore lines which are occasionally cut by picturesque glens and gorges. From west to east these sparkling lakes are Canandaigua, Keuka, Seneca, . . . — Map (db m57113) HM
New York (Wayne County), Macedon — Erie Lock 60
Through these hallowed chambers passed untold thousands. Built in 1821Clinton's Ditch Lock #71 1841 Erie enlargement Lock #60 1874 doubled - 1888 lengthened — Map (db m61898) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Conneautville — Erie Extension Canal
Part of the old channel lies near the highway. The Conneaut Line, from Erie to near Conneaut Lake, was begun by the State, 1838, and completed by the Erie Canal Company, 1843-44. Canal in use until 1871. — Map (db m60439) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Hartstown — Erie Extension Canal
Cut off from the rest of Pymatuning Swamp by a 3-mile bank, this became the 600-acre "Pymatuning Reservoir" of the canal, which lay at its western edge. Begun by the State, 1838; finished by the Erie Canal Company, 1843-44. — Map (db m60437) HM

167 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement