Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

South Carolina, Preservation Society of Charleston Historical Markers

 
113 Ashley Avenue Bennett - Hayne House, southside with Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, December 18, 2011
113 Ashley Avenue Bennett - Hayne House, southside with Marker
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 113 Ashley Avenue — Bennett - Hayne House — circa 1800
This two-and-one-half-story Adam Style house was built circa 1800 by Thomas Bennett, Jr., (1781-1865). Bennett served as intendent of Charleston (1812-1813) and governor of South Carolina (1820-1822). The frame structure rests on a raised . . . — Map (db m50820) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 123 Tradd Street — Charles Graves House — circa 1795
This three-story masonry single house with hipped roof and Federal style details was constructed for Charles Graves, a local factor. One of the oldest building along upper Tradd Street, the house is located on portions of Lots 226 and 227 of the . . . — Map (db m48674) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 125 Tradd Street — Captain John Morrison House — circa 1805
This Adam style Single House was constructed circa 1805 by Captain John W. Morrison on the site of the circa 1790 garden of Robert Squibb, who brought many exotic plants to Charleston, exported rare species from Charleston to England, and published . . . — Map (db m48759) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 126 Tradd Street — The Dr. Peter Fayssoux House — circa 1732
Residence of the Surgeon General of the Continnetal Army and boyhood home of Confederate Generals Hamilton Prioleau Bee & Bernard Bee. One of only three South Carolina homes with early exposed interior corner post . . . — Map (db m48236) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 14 George Street — Middleton-Pinckney House — circa 1796
This three-story, masonry residence set on a raised basement was begun circa 1796 by Mrs. Frances Motte Middleton, daughter of Jacob and Rebecca Motte. The house was completed by Mrs. Middleton and her second husband and former brother-in-law, . . . — Map (db m51273) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 17 Limehouse Street
This residence was built on the original Robert Limehouse farmlands. The house was definitely standing in 1855 and was occupied that year by Joseph Dawson, a druggist in business at 17 Broad St. — Map (db m51899) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 19 State Street — Frederick Wolfe House — circa 1796
This two-and-a-half story Charleston Single House is thought to be built by Frederick Wolfe after the fire of 1796, which destroyed much of the State Street area between Broad and Queen Streets. The house was moved back on its original lot at 21 . . . — Map (db m50513) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 23 Tradd Street — William Bell House — circa 1797-1800
This three-story stucco house with a clay tile hip roof was built by Charleston merchant William Bell following the destruction of an earlier residence by fire in 1778. The fire, the second of five great Charleston fires between 1740 and 1860, . . . — Map (db m47978) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 26 Tradd Street — Adam Ewing House — circa 1783
This town house was constructed by Adam Ewing, a Scots merchant, for his residence and place of business. He and his partner Robert Ewing (who bore the same surname but was no relation) had their counting house in the front room of the ground . . . — Map (db m47977) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 28 Chapel Street — Vanderhorst Mansion — circa 1832
Built as a suburban villa by a member of the wealthy Vanderhorst family, owners of much of Kiawah Island, the stuccoed brick house stands two stories above a raised basement and has a piazza approached on the main floor by a double, semicircular, . . . — Map (db m51345) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 31 Savage Street    — George N. Barnard Tenement — 1872
This two-story frame Greek Revival style residence was constructed in 1872 for Civil War photographer George N. Barnard. The house is distinguished by a one-story front porch supported by jigsaw-cut columns and Italianate style balustrades. In . . . — Map (db m51397) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 32 Legare Street — Sword Gate House
Legare Street is named for goldsmith Solomon Legare “the Huguenot,” who built the first house on this property. Before the lot left the family in 1803, his descendants had become wealthy plantation owners and commission merchants. . . . — Map (db m47750) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 36 Meeting Street — c. 1740
This Georgian Style residence is an early example of the "Charleston Single House." The original woodwork is notable; the drawing room mantle is attributed to Charleston cabinet maker, Thomas Elfe. Unique in the kitchen building is the original . . . — Map (db m47763) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 37 Meeting Street — James Simmons House — circa 1760
Charlestonian James Simmons is believed to have built this Georgian style house circa 1760. It is located on Lot 278 of the "Grand Model of Charles Town", the earliest plan of the city. Otis Mills, the original owner of the Mills House bought the . . . — Map (db m47837) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 39 Meeting Street — c. 1766
. . . — Map (db m47875) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 42 Church Street — Brailsford & Susan Jenkins House — circa 1905
This substantial house was built by J. Brailsford Jenkins, soon after they purchased the site in 1905. The lot previously had been part of the extensive grounds of present-day 38 Church Street, where Dr. Vincent LeSeigneur had a famous garden in the . . . — Map (db m47611) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 54 King Street — The James Brown House Circa 1768
The James Brown House is situated on a portion of Lot Number 82 of the Grand Modell, the city plan for Charleston that was developed in 1670. The lot was originally granted by the Lords Proprietors on June 12, 1694 to John Frowman, a butcher, for . . . — Map (db m47899) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 55 Ashley Avenue   The Baker House
The Baker House was constructed in 1912 as the Baker-Craig Sanitarium. This sixty-bed hospital and nursing school was founded by Dr. Archibald E. Baker Sr. and Dr. Lawrence Craig. The Baker House was designed by John D. Newcomer and Ernest V. . . . — Map (db m51630) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 58 Tradd Street — Cleland-Wells House — circa 1760
This three-story stuccoed single house was constructed circa 1760 by Charleston physician Dr. William Cleland as a residence for his son William. After William's death the property was purchased in 1778 by Scottish ιmigrι Robert Wells, . . . — Map (db m48141) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 6 Water Street - Francis Saltus House — circa 1820s
Captain Francis W. Saltus, Sr., a Charleston ship owner and cotton factor built this two and one half story Federal style single house. The frame structure rests on a raised basement and features a closed return box cornice and a gable roof with an . . . — Map (db m50449) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 69 Ashley Avenue    Eli Gedding House
circa 1860 This three story late Regency Style Single House was constructed circa 1860 by prominent Charleston physician Eli Geddings. In 1825, Geddings became the first graduate of the Medical College in Charleston, now known as the Medical . . . — Map (db m51657) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 72-74 Tradd Street — Fotheringham-McNeil Tenements
circa 1740 Local merchant James Matthews constructed this three-story over raised basement, double tenement building circa 1740. The house features a Flemish bond brick pattern and nine over nine light windows. The gambrel roof with a . . . — Map (db m47902) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 8-10 Tradd Street — The Lamboll Double Tenement
circa 1726 rebuilt 1781 The masonary structure of this double residence was constructed by Charleston merchant Thomas Lamboll circa 1726. The date of construction is based on surviving land grants showing the establishment of common use alleys . . . — Map (db m62151) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 83-107 East Bay Street   Rainbow Row
Rainbow Row represents the longest cluster of intact Georgian row houses in the United States. The earliest structures on this portion of East Bay Street, between Tradd and Elliott Street, were built by 1680. The buildings were constructed on lots . . . — Map (db m51737) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 90 East Bay Street Ancrum Wharf Building — Circa 1781 — Altered circa 1855
The Ancrum Wharf Building was constructed by Parker Quince and John Ancrum, both North Carolina natives, who were married to Savannah and Mary Rhett. The Rhett sisters were heirs to Col. William Rhett. The Ancrum Wharf Building is one of the . . . — Map (db m103639) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 95 Ashley Avenue — Mayor William A. Courtnay House
circa 1840
The construction of this circa 1840 three-and-a half story single house is attributed to Charleston cotton planter and factor Theodore D. Jervey. The house was built in the Greek Revival style but was altered in 1886 by William Ashmead . . . — Map (db m51725) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 95 Lenwood Boulevard — Circa 1867
This simply detailed two story wooden dwelling, and the neighboring dwelling at 93 Lenwood Boulevard, were originally one building. This building was located at the present intersection of Tradd Street and Lenwood Boulevard, and was used by the U.S. . . . — Map (db m48144) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Alexander Christie House — c. 1805
Handsome Adam style single house and gabled carrage house was built on Lot 36 of Grand Model house. It has been rectory of St. Philip's Church since 1908. A successful Scot, Alexander Christie built the house as his residence and . . . — Map (db m47906) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Ann Peacock House — Built c. 1760
The front portion of this fine example of the Charleston single house was built on part of the original lot #37 of the plat of Charleston known as the "Grand Modell." The home was erected by Wm. Hall for Ann Peacock, a wealthy widow from . . . — Map (db m47911) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Branford-Horry House — A Private Residence — c. 1751
Outstanding Georgian House designated "of National Importance," was built by William Branford, planter and member of the Colonial Assembly. It is famous for its carved cypress paneling and drawing room which has been called "one of the most . . . — Map (db m39313) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Casper Christian Schutt House — 51 Easy Bay Street — Constructed 1800-1802
This large, three and one-half story masonry single house was constructed circa 1800-1802 by Caspar Christian Schutt, a Charleston merchant of German descent. As was the custom of the day, he operated his business activities on the first floor . . . — Map (db m47964) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Col. Othneil Beale's House — 99 - 101 East Bay — C. 1723 - 1740
Othneil Beale, sea Captain from New England, Colonel of Provincial Troops, Engineer, Successful merchant, built this house about 1740, with ground floors for mercantile use, and living rooms above Finely Cypress Paneled. The previous owners, . . . — Map (db m19665) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Cooper - O'Conner House
circa 1855 During the last months of the Civil War, several Union officers were confined by the Confederacy in this house. As retaliation for this imprisonment, President Lincoln moved six hundred Confederate prisoners from Fort Delaware to the . . . — Map (db m51783) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Daniel Huger House — c. 1760
Handsome Georgian "Double House" constructed of brick but covered by stucco after 1886 earthquake. Drawing room has handsome ceiling plaster work decorations and carved overmantel with ionic pilasters. Residence of last Royal Governor Lord William . . . — Map (db m47909) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Daniel Ravenel II House
Built in 1796 by Daniel Ravenel, the Second of Wantoot Plantation, as a summer home replacing an earlier building destroyed in the great fires of that year. The property came to his wife in 1749, having been owned since 1710 . . . — Map (db m27512) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — David Ramsay House — c. 1740
Notable for its fine Georgian paneling, this was home and office to Dr. David Ramsay, the distinguished patriot, Revolutionary Historian and physician. Dr. Ramsay introduced the Small Pox vaccine to Charleston and helped found the . . . — Map (db m27447) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Dr. Joseph Johnson House   — 56 Society Street
circa 1840 This substantial three-story Greek Revival Period Charleston single house is constructed of stucco-covered brick and features a two-tiered piazza with Tuscan columns and turned balusters, piazza screen and entrance door complete with . . . — Map (db m51485) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Dr. Vincent Le Seigneur House — 38 Church Street — circa 1812
This three and one half story stuccoed masonry Adamesque single house with a two tiered piazza was constructed between September of 1811 and June of 1812 by George Keenan, a grocery merchant. The house was purchased in 1814 by Dr. Vincent Le . . . — Map (db m47588) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Glover - Sottile House
C. 1775 and 1826 This splendid mansion was built in 1826 by Dr. Joseph Glover, a noted Charleston physician, utilizing the service wing of an older house of about 1775. In 1906 it was purchased by the Cavaliere Giovanni Sottile, . . . — Map (db m51308) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — I. Jenkins Mikell House — c. 1854
This is one of the last grand antebellum houses of Charleston built by Edisto Island cotton planter, I. Jenkins Mikell. He adopted design sophistication and colour of an Italian villa unusual in Charleston. Notice the . . . — Map (db m54714) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Jacob Motte House — circa 1731
Standing on land bought from Robert Tradd, which was part of lot 60 of "Grand Modell" of 1672. Early Georgian house built by Jacob Motte, prominent Huguenot and one time royal treasurer of province. Original paneling from second floor living room is . . . — Map (db m39320) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — John Cordes Prioleau House — 68 Meeting Street — circa 1810
This property, originally known as Town Lot Number 54 of the Grand Modell of Charles Town, was granted by the Lords Proprietors to William Jones March 23, 1682. In 1808, the property was purchased by John Cordes Prioleau, a wealthy planter. Madame . . . — Map (db m27461) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — John McCall House — 66 Church Street — Circa 1784
First granted to Thomas Rose by the Lords Proprietors in 1681 and delineated as Lot 64 of the Grand Modell, this lot was part of the early walled city of Charleston. A brick house was initially built on the property that survived the fire of 1740 . . . — Map (db m47632) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Joseph Verree House — 47 Church Street — circa 1767
Joseph Verree, a prosperous Charleston master carpenter, constructed this two-and-one-half story Georgian single house circa 1767. It occupies the southernmost part of Town Lot No. 77 of the "Grand Modell of Charles Town," the original plan of the . . . — Map (db m47613) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Kornahrens-Guenveur House
C. 1884 Built by John H. Kornahrens, soda water manufacturer who used timber from an original house on the lot built circa 1772 by John Delke', a tanner. Owned and occupied since 1925 by Edward Leon Guenveur, Sr., a plumbing . . . — Map (db m54433) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Major Peter Bocquet's House — c.1770
Peter Bocquet the younger built this house shortly after the lot was given to him in July, 1770, by his father Peter Bocquet, senior, a Huguenot immigrant. The younger Bocquet became a major in the Revolutionary forces, a member of the . . . — Map (db m27446) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — One North Adger's Wharf — circa 1735-1750
In the 18th century the wharves along this area of the Cooper River served as a center of Charleston's important shipping industry, playing a vital role in the city's economic growth until early in the 20th century. North Adger's Wharf was . . . — Map (db m47927) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Robert Brewton House — Private Residence
Built circa 1720 for Colonel Robert Brewton wealthy wharf owner and provincial powder receiver. One of the earliest fine examples of a single house. [Plaque] Robert Brewton House Has Been Designated a Registered . . . — Map (db m47642) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Benjamin DuPrι House
C.- 1804 This significant single house was built by Benjamin DuPrι, a French tailor, sometime after 1803. The entire area was known as “Gadsden’s Green” after Christopher Gadsden who divided this land into six wharf lots and 197 . . . — Map (db m51826) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Colonel Alexander Hext Tenements — 51-53 Tradd Street — circa 1736
This Georgian double-tenement is located on part of lot number 60 of the Grand Modell, a city plan developed between 1670-1680. Lot number 60 was granted originally to Robert Tradd, after whose family Tradd Street is named. The property was . . . — Map (db m39323) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Confederate Home — c. 1800
This handsome building, c. 1800 was constructed by Gilbert Chalmers. From 1810 to 1825 it was the home of Gov. John Geddes, who married the builder's daughter. During Gov. Geddes' term in office, Pres. James Monroe visited here. In 1867 Mary . . . — Map (db m27514) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Douxsaint House
This property, a part of one of the original town lots in the Grand Model of Charles Towne was bought by Paul Douxsaint, merchant, planter, and French Huguenot immigrant, in 1725. The Charleston single house of French type . . . — Map (db m27543) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Footlight Players Workshop — 20 Queen Street
The building at 20 Queen Street was built circa 1840 for use as a cotton warehouse. It is considered a notable example of vernacular warehouse architecture in Charleston, influenced by Roman Revival and West Indian architecture. In 1934, the . . . — Map (db m27545) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The John Blake House — 58 South Battery — circa 1800
The John Blake House was constructed circa 1800 by Blake, a captain in the Continental Army, member of the South Carolina General Assembly, and president of the Bank of South Carolina. The Blake House is constructed of cypress and heart pine on a . . . — Map (db m39311) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The John N. Tidemann House — 9 Judith Street
This Charleston Single house was constructed between 1835-1852. The house was lived in by John Tidemann, a German immigrant who arrived in Charleston in 1846 at age nineteen. He established a successful hay & grain business at the corner of Prioleau . . . — Map (db m31851) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Moses C. Levy House
circa 1816 Moses C. Levy, a Polish born King Street merchant, built this valuable Federal style single house between 1811 and 1816. The house is located on land originally owned by Henry Laurens, one of the wealthiest merchants in the United . . . — Map (db m51808) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The South Carolina Society
Founded by French Huguenots September 1, 1737, was incorporated May 1, 1751, by the Provincial General Assembly and the Charter confirmed at the Court of St. James by George II December 20, 1752. To further the Society's activities this Hall and . . . — Map (db m27457) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Thomas Bee's House — 94 Church Street — circa 1730
Thomas Bee, a leader in the colonial government and a patriot of the Revolution, built this fine house about 1730. A later owner was Governor Joseph Alston and his wife, Theodosia, daughter of Aaron Burr. She was mysteriously lost . . . — Map (db m47910) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Thomas Legare House — c. 1759
Handsome Georgian style house built by a prosperous Huguenot merchant. An outstanding example of an early Charleston single house well adapted to the narrow lot purchased in 1752. In 1816 an adjacent house was demolished to provide space for the . . . — Map (db m50453) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Thomas Rose's House — c. 1735
In 1680, Town Lot No. 61 was granted by the Lords Proprietors to Elizabeth Willis, and in 1701 was deeded to William Elliott. This notable early Georgian house replaced a smaller house on the premises, and was built by Thomas Rose soon after his . . . — Map (db m47625) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Timothy Ford's House — circa 1800 — A Private Residence
Timothy Ford, a native of Morristown, New Jersey, Princeton educated attorney who as a youth served in the American Revolution, built this fine Charleston single house in the Adamesque style. Ford entertained the Marquis de Lafayette here on the . . . — Map (db m39318) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — William Bull's House — c. 1720
These lots as shown on the "Grand Modell of Charles Town" were granted in 1696 to Stephen Bull of Ashley Hall and Sheklon. This house, one of the oldest on the city, was built circa 1720 by his son, William Bull, later Lt. Governor of . . . — Map (db m48089) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — William Harvey House — 58 Meeting Street — circa 1770
This three-story, stucco-over brick building was constructed circa 1770 on Town Lot No. 60 of the Grand Modell of Charles Town by merchant and planter William Harvey. It was the western half of a double tenement (18th century term denoting rental . . . — Map (db m39314) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — William Mills Tenement — c. 1801
The builder of this tenement, William Mills, was born in Dundee, Scotland, and became a prosperous tailor and planter in Charleston. He was the father of Robert Mills, pupil of Thomas Jefferson and America's first native . . . — Map (db m50481) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Young-Johnson House — c. 1770
"Tradition of American Revolution" written in this house. — Map (db m47590) HM

65 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement