Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

South Carolina, Beaufort County Historical Society Historical Markers

 
Beaufort Marker, moved to a new location in 2010, looking west along Boundry Street (US 21) image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, January 2011
Beaufort Marker, moved to a new location in 2010, looking west along Boundry Street (US 21)
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-1 — Beaufort
. . . — Map (db m19642) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-10 — Beaufort Arsenal
Erected in 1798 and rebuilt in 1852, the Beaufort Arsenal was the home of the Beaufort Volunteer Artillery, commissioned in 1802, which had its roots in an earlier company organized in 1776 and served valiantly in the Revolutionary War. The BVA was . . . — Map (db m5664) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-26 — Beaufort College
(Text front) Beaufort College, a college preparatory academy founded in 1795, occupied this Greek Revival building from 1852 to 1861. The school opened in 1084 at Bay and Church Sts. but closed in 1817 after a yellow fever epidemic, reopening . . . — Map (db m8705) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-21 — Beaufort Female Benevolent Society
The Society, founded in 1814 to educate and provide relief for destitute children, built this house in 1895 and leased it for many years, using the income to help the needy. Tenants included the Clover Club, which operated a circulating library . . . — Map (db m5681) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — First Fort
On or near this site in the settlement known as Stuart Town stood the "Tight Watch House" erected in 1683-4. After the destruction of the town by the Spanish in 1686 it was replaced by a fort, approximately 100 feet square defended by "9 Great Guns" . . . — Map (db m5939) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-22 — St. Helena's Church
(Marker Front): This Episcopal Parish was established by Act of the Assembly June 7, 1712. The first known rector, William Guy, conducted early worship services in homes of settlers. The parish suffered greatly during the 1715 Yemassee . . . — Map (db m5827) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Verdier House
John Mark Verdier 1759-1826 Builder Of This House 1795-1800 General Lafayette Spoke To The People Of Beaufort From This Portico March 18, 1825 — Map (db m19644) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Bluffton — 7-2 — Bluffton, S.C.
Settled in 1825, as a summer resort of rice and cotton planters, this town was incorporated in 1852. Here in 1844 the was launched the protest against the Federal tariff known as the "Bluffton Movement". — Map (db m21553) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Frogmore — 7-32 — The Great Sea Island Storm
( Front text ) On the night of August 27, 1893, a huge "tropical cyclone," the largest and most powerful storm to hit S.C. until Hurricane Hugo in 1989, made landfall just E of Savannah, Ga. With gusts as high as 120 mph and a storm . . . — Map (db m8782) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Grays Hill — 7-5 — Battle of Port Royal Island
Near the old halfway house, in the vicinity of Grays Hill, on February 3, 1779, a force of South Carolina Militia, Continentals, and volunteers, including men from Beaufort, under General William Moultrie, defeated the British in their . . . — Map (db m14738) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — Northern Most Known Bastion of Spanish Florida
Less than three decades after Columbus had discovered America, on Aug. 18, 1521 ( St. Helena's Day ), Spanish seafarers from Santo Domingo sighted this magnificent harbor, named its Eastern headland the Punta de Santa Elena, from which the area . . . — Map (db m21253) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Pinckney Island — 07-19 — Charles Cotesworth Pinckney (1746–1825)
[Front]: Born in South Carolina, Pinckney was educated in England and served in the First and Second Provincial Congresses. A commander in the Revolution, he later served in the SC General Assembly, signed the US Constitution, and was . . . — Map (db m30536) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Pinckney Island — 07-20 — Pinckney Island
[Front]: Inhabited for some 10,000 years, Pinckney Island was known as Espalanga, Look–out, and Mackey's prior to about 1775. Alexander Mackey received two Proprietary grants for land on the island in 1710. Charles Pinckney later . . . — Map (db m6611) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Sheldon — 7-4 — Ruins of Old Sheldon
Ruins of Old Sheldon Prince William's Parish Church Built 1745-55. Burned 1779 by British. Rebuilt 1826. Burned 1865 by Federal Army. Named for ancestral home of the Bull family in Warwickshire, England. ——— Annual Services . . . — Map (db m26366) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), St. Helena — 7-3 — Chapel of Ease
To St. Helena's Church, Beaufort, S.C. Built about 1740. Made a separate church after the revolution. Burned by forest fire Feb. 22, 1886. — Map (db m19647) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Grahamville — 27-7 — Tomb of Thomas Heyward, Jr. 1746-1809
Member of South Carolina Provincial Congress and Council of Safety and of Continental Congress. Signer of Declaration of Independence and Articles of Confederation and captain of militia at Battle of Port Royal and Siege of Charleston. Prisoner of . . . — Map (db m6415) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement