Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Florida, Sanford Historic Preservation Board Historical Markers

 
St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church Erected - 1910-1913 819 Cypress Avenue
Saint James African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church has been located on Cypress Avenue since 1880 on land purchased from General Henry S. Sanford. The current structure was designed by Prince W. Spears and built in 1910-1913. The design of the . . . — Map (db m54207) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Bishop Block Erected - 1887 301-309 East First Street
Construction began in December 1887 by Captain J.O. Northesag, of New York, for the owner J.N. Bishop. Completion in 1888 made the Bishop Block a significant structure of Sanford's downtown commercial district. It was originally occupied by a . . . — Map (db m53222) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Brumley - Puleston Building Erected - 1922 100 East First Street
The contractor, George A. Fuller, who was also the builder of the Lincoln Memorial, the FlatIron Building, and the New York Biltmore Hotel, started construction on this building in 1922 for Dr. L.A. Brumley and Dr. Samuel Puleston. The first . . . — Map (db m53591) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The DeForest Block Erected - 1887 121 East First Street
The DeForest Block, built in 1887, was Mr. Henry L. DeForest's first brick building in the downtown commercial district. It is one of the oldest brick buildings in Sanford and the only one that survived the disastrous fire of 1887. One of the . . . — Map (db m53316) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The DeForest Building Erected - 1889 104 East First Street
After construction in 1889, the DeForest Building, named for its owner Henry L. DeForest, became one of Sanford's original structures in the late nineteenth century commercial district. This was Mr. DeForest's second downtown building. The city . . . — Map (db m53309) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The E. E. Brady Livery Stable Erected - 1890 113 South Palmetto Avenue
Built between 1890 and 1895, this small building originally housed a blacksmith and wagon shop. From 1910 to 1914, E.E. Brady ran a livery, feed, and sales barn here. By 1916 this building was serving as the Seminole County Jail. It later served as . . . — Map (db m53223) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The First National Bank No. 1 Erected - 1883 101 West First Street
Constructed in 1883, this building was originally the Lyman Bank and is the oldest brick building in the downtown commercial district. The bank was reorganized as the First National Bank of Sanford and in 1908 the building was remodeled. The . . . — Map (db m53553) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The First National Bank No. 2 Erected - 1922 101 East First Street
The First National Bank opened for business in this building on October 4, 1923. Designed by the New York form of Mowbray and Uffinger and constructed by the George A. Fuller Co., this six story building was Sanford's first "skyscraper". This was . . . — Map (db m53555) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Henry B. Lord Building Erected - 1895 112 South Park Avenue
This small one story rectangular building was built between 1890 and 1895. Constructed of brick, it has a flat roof with a parapet. The exterior is covered with ceramic tile, stucco and metal lath which mask the early wood storefront. However, the . . . — Map (db m53317) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Hill Hardware Building Erected - 1917 108 South Magnolia Avenue
This building was erected in 1917 by the Directors of the Seminole County Bank shortly after the adjacent bank building facing First Street was completed. It was constructed of brick and stucco and intended to provide room for two stores downstairs . . . — Map (db m53307) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Imperial Opera House Erected - 1910 119 South Magnolia Avenue
Sanford's center for entertainment, the Imperial Opera House opened June 15, 1910. The contractor W.G. Hammond built the building for the owners T.J. Miller and son. George A. DeCottes was the first lessee of this building which replaced a barn-like . . . — Map (db m53292) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Meisch Building Erected - 1923 224 East First Street
When constructed in 1923 the Meisch building was considered a typical example of American commercial architecture. It was designed by W.B. Talley, and built by R.J. Gallespie for the Sanford Investment Co., John Meisch, President. The materials were . . . — Map (db m53082) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The N.P. Yowell and the Garner-Woodruff Buildings Erected - 1910 200-208 East First Street
the N.P. Yowell Building was built in 1910 for a prominent Orlando merchant of the same name. It was designed by Jacksonville architect W.B. Talley, and built by George Venable. When opened, it was a dry goods store. Built at the same time was an . . . — Map (db m53308) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Peoples Bank Building and Block Erected - 1905-1910 201-203 East First Street
The Peoples Bank building, on the Southeast corner of First Street and Magnolia Avenue, was completed in 1906 and was the most modern building in this block. The Peoples Bank opened its doors on August 30, 1906. It was built by the contractor W.G. . . . — Map (db m53246) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The PICO Block Erected - 1887 114 West First Street
The PICO block was completed about 1887 for Henry B. Plant, President of the Plant Investment Company (PICO) and served as the company offices. The remains of a carriageway may be seen on the west side along Oak Avenue which was originally Railroad . . . — Map (db m53597) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The PICO Hotel, Restaurant, and Stores Erected - 1887 209 North Oak Avenue 200 North Park Avenue
Built as a hotel in 1887 for Henry B. Plant, President of the Plant Investment Co. (PICO), the PICO Building served as a terminal hotel for the railroads and two river steamers owned by Plant that served Sanford. The architect was W.T. Cotter of . . . — Map (db m53606) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Sanford Herald Building Erected - 1910 107 South Magnolia Avenue
This two story building was built in 1910. It served the Sanford Herald, a newspaper that began publication in 1908, as offices and printing room. The architect and builder was W.G. Hammond. The Sanford Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows . . . — Map (db m53247) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The U.S. Post Office Erected - 1917 230 East First Street
The U.S. Post Office Building was built in 1917 by Algernon Blair of Montgomery, Alabama with James Wetmore serving as the supervising architect. The Post Office opened for business August 1, 1918. It is typical of buildings constructed by the U.S. . . . — Map (db m53081) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The Whalers Saloon Erected - 1887 112 South Palmetto Avenue
Finished in 1887, this building was built by Colonel A.M. Thrasher who was President of the Sanford Ice and Cold Storage Company. It originally housed a saloon and a sporting goods store. The Romanesque Revival architecture style is typical of many . . . — Map (db m53226) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement