Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Michigan Historical Commission Historical Markers

Markers of the Michigan state historical markers program administered by the Michigan Historical Commission and its predecessors.654 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 454
 
Michigan at Perryville Marker (side 2) image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, August 18, 2011
Michigan at Perryville Marker (side 2)
Kentucky (Boyle County), Perryville — S555C — Michigan at Perryville
(side 1) Among the 61,000 Union soldiers who at the Battle of Perryville ended Confederate attempts to gain control of Kentucky were six Michigan units. The most heavily engaged of these were Coldwater’s Loomis Battery (Battery A of the . . . — Map (db m46357) HM
Kentucky (Madison County), Richmond — S273 — Michigan Light Artillery Regiment / Batteries F and G
(Obverse Side) Michigan Light Artillery Regiment During the Civil War more than three thousand men served in Michigan's First Regiment of Artillery. The twelve batteries saw action in both major theaters. Unlike in infantry . . . — Map (db m66937) HM
Kentucky (Taylor County), Campbellsville — L1515C — Michigan at Tebbs Bend
Side 1 During the first week of July 1863, while the people of the North and the South focused their attention on Gettysburg and Vicksburg, five Michigan companies defended the bridge across the Green River here at Tebbs Bend. They were . . . — Map (db m99030) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — S580C — Stonewall Regiment
More than 90,000 Michigan men served in the Union Army and Navy during the Civil War. The 17th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment was mustered at the Detroit Barracks in August 1862 under the command of Colonel William H. Withington. The regiment . . . — Map (db m398) HM
Michigan (Alger County), Au Train — S0121 — Lake Superior
Le lac superieur the French called it, meaning only that geographically it lay above Lake Huron. In size, however, Lake Superior stands above all other fresh water lakes in the world. The intrepid Frenchman Brule discovered it around 1622. . . . — Map (db m41968) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Allegan — S226 — Allegan County
Allegan County's name was coined by the noted student of the Indians, Henry Schoolcraft. The county was set off in 1831 and organized in 1835. Settlement of the county seat, Allegan, was promoted in 1835 by eastern capitalists who were attracted by . . . — Map (db m69891) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Allegan — L242 — Episcopal Church of Good Shepherd
On June 15, 1858, the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd was organized; its parish was admitted into the Diocese of Michigan two years later. Built in 1866-69, this Gothic structure was designed by Gordon W. Lloyd and first used for Divine . . . — Map (db m69890) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Allegan — S549A — The Second Street Bridge
This simply ornamented wrought-iron bridge was built in 1886. It replaced an earlier wooden one that had begun to fall into disrepair. Designed by the King Iron Bridge and Manufacturing Company of Cleveland, Ohio, the double-intersection Pratt truss . . . — Map (db m69901) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — L1801 — Douglas Union School
Side 1 In 1866, faced with the growth of what were then separate villages of Douglas and Dudleyville, Saugatauk Township District No. 3 and 4 merged to form Union District No. 3. The Douglas Union School opened for classes in September . . . — Map (db m45325) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — L1239 — Dutcher Lodge No. 193 / Douglas
Dutcher Lodge No. 193 Masons from Douglas, Fennville, and Saugatauk chartered Dutcher Lodge No. 193 on January 19, 1867. From 1867 to 1870 they held meetings in a building owned by Worshipful Master Thomas Dutcher. In 1875, the western . . . — Map (db m45393) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — L1628 — Pier Cove
Surveyed in 1839, the village of Pier Cove was once hailed as "the busiest port between St. Joseph and Muskegon." Before the Civil War, Pier Cove was a bustling community and a major point for lumber distribution, with ships departing daily carrying . . . — Map (db m73498) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Fennville — L589 — Fifty-Seventh Street Bridge
Spanning the Kalamazoo River, this 422-foot bridge is one of Michigan’s longest pony truss highway bridges, and among the oldest surviving swing bridges in the United States. The Milwaukee Bridge and Iron Company fabricated the $5,000 structure, . . . — Map (db m73574) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Hamilton — L1318 — Oakland Christian Reformed Church
A Dutch settlement known as Oakland sprang up in this area about a decade after the founding of nearby Holland in 1847. Many residents worshipped with the Vriesland and Drenthe congregations until they formed their own churches. One group, North . . . — Map (db m73681) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Holland — L77 — Ebenezer Reformed Church
Members of the First Reformed Church in Holland founded this congregation in 1866 to provide a place of worship for the settlers living southeast of town. Heavy immigration from the Netherlands prompted this move. The Dutch language was used . . . — Map (db m73682) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Holland — L483 — Graafschap Christian Reformed Church
(Side One) Erected in 1862, this church was the center of the Dutch immigrant community. The first settlers in this area arrived in early 1847 led by the Reverend Albertus C. V. Raalte. In June of that year a separate group of seventy . . . — Map (db m73685) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Holland — L1611 — Laketown Township Hall
Laketown Township was settled by Dutch immigrants who arrived in the area in 1847. Originally part of Newark Township, Laketown was set off in 1858 and named for its proximity to Lake Michigan. Officials did not have a meeting hall until 1884 when . . . — Map (db m73641) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Holland — L70 — Old Wing Mission
The main portion of this building was the residence of George N. Smith, a Congregational missionary to the Indians in this area and at Waukazoo's Village on nearby Lake Macatawa. The mission was named after an Indian convert. Built in 1844-45 by . . . — Map (db m73683) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Otsego — L2119 — Otsego Methodist Church
The Otsego Methodist Church was organized in 1842 and served by a traveling minister. The first church was built on this site in 1847. On December 22, 1889, over 900 townspeople attended the dedication of the present church. Many donated money . . . — Map (db m69960) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Overisel — L1566 — Overisel / Overisel Reformed Church
(Side One) Overisel Seeking religious liberty and better economic opportunity in a new land, the Reverend Seine Bolks and a congregation of about two dozen families, left Hellendoorn, Province of Overisel, The Netherlands, on . . . — Map (db m73646) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — L0908A — All Saints Episcopal Church / Gordon W. Lloyd
All Saints Episcopal Church An Episcopal parish was organized in Saugatauk on All Saints Day, November 1, 1868. Services were held at various locations until 1873. In 1871 the parish purchased property. Detroit architect Gordon W. Lloyd . . . — Map (db m45324) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — S697 — Felt Mansion
(Side One) Chicago inventor and businessman Dorr Felt built this house as a summer home for his wife, Agnes. Felt held numerous patents, mostly notably for the Comptometer, the first machine to do complex calculations. In 1919 Felt . . . — Map (db m73640) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — L1818 — First Congregational Church
On January 11, 1860, eight years before Saugatuck was incorporated as a village, a council of area Congregational leaders met in the Pine Grove schoolhouse and organized a church. During the summer the congregation built a church on this site, which . . . — Map (db m45457) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — 2172 — Reed's Livery
Roger E. Reed, whose father was a blacksmith and carriage maker, built this structure in 1905. The front of the building housed an office and carriages, while the back was a stable of 25 stalls. Here travelers boarded stages bound for Holland, Grand . . . — Map (db m45238) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — S191 — Singapore, Michigan
Beneath the sands near the mouth of the Kalamazoo River lies the site of Singapore, one of Michigan's most famous ghost towns. Founded in the 1830's by New York land speculators, who hoped it would rival Chicago or Milwaukee as a lake port, . . . — Map (db m45269) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — L1908 — The Allegan Road
When Allegan county was organized in 1835, the only road from the interior to Lake Michigan followed an Indian Trail along the Kalamazoo River. In 1838 Ralph Mann of Connecticut was supervising improvements at the short-lived town of Richmond. He . . . — Map (db m73603) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Wayland — L1274 — Henika Ladies Library
Upon her death in April 1899, Julia Robinson Henika bequeathed two thousand dollars to the Wayland Ladies Library Association for construction of a library building. Her husband George H. Henika, and mother, Mary Forbes, later donated additional . . . — Map (db m73679) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — L746 — Alpena County Courthouse
"Alpena has blazed a new trail in construction," architect William H. Kuni of Detroit declared at the opening of the Alpena County Courthouse on October 21, 1935. Calling it "the first monolithic building erected in a cold climate," Kuni designed . . . — Map (db m66795) HM
Michigan (Arenac County), Omer — L444 — Omer Masonic Hall
This churchlike white frame structure with its graceful cupola was built in 1890 as the second Arenac County Courthouse. The first courthouse on this site burned the previous year. Omer had been a part of Bay County until Arenac was organized in . . . — Map (db m70969) HM
Michigan (Baraga County), Baraga — S0135 — Keweenaw Bay
This region's history is long and rich. Father Menard, the Jesuit missionary, wintered near what is now L'Anse in 1660-1661. Near here Father Baraga set up his mission in 1843. He and the head of the neighboring Methodist mission, the Rev. J. H. . . . — Map (db m76282) HM
Michigan (Barry County), Hastings — S561C — Hastings Mutual Insurance Company
On April 5, 1885, the Michigan Mutual Tornado, Cyclone, and Windstorm Insurance Company became the first mutual windstorm company incorporated by the state of Michigan. Starting in a one-room office above Grant's store, the company occupied and . . . — Map (db m33250) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L1413 — "Ten Hours or No Sawdust"
Side 1 When Bay City's sawmills opened in 1885, mill owners notified workers that wages would be 12 to 25 percent lower than in 1884. On July 6, 1885, Bay City millhands began to walk off the job. Their slogan, "Ten Hours or No Sawdust," . . . — Map (db m33693) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L2122 — Center Avenue
Center Avenue presents one of the most spectacular displays of late nineteenth and early twentieth century residential architecture in Michigan. Between 1870 and 1940 Bay City's prominent citizens favored Center Avenue as "the" place to live. Early . . . — Map (db m33961) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L2084 — First Presbyterian Church
Side 1 In 1848, James G. Birney and his wife led Bay City's earliest Presbyterian services in a schoolhouse. Birney, an elder in the church, twice ran unsuccessfully for president on the antislavery ticket. The Reverend Lucius Root organized . . . — Map (db m33696) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L0858 — Trinity Church/Trinity Episcopal Church
(front side): Trinity Church Trinity Church grew from a small group of settlers served by Episcopal missionaries beginning around 1842. Church records credit William and Ann Fitzhugh with founding the church. On March 4, 1854, . . . — Map (db m33912) HM
Michigan (Benzie County), Benzonia — S0245 — Benzonia College

In 1858, in what was then a remote wilderness, the Rev. Charles E. Bailey and four families from his Ohio Congregational parish founded Benzonia colony. It was to be an "educational Christian colony" modeled after the earlier Congregational . . . — Map (db m97478) HM

Michigan (Benzie County), Benzonia — S0560 — Bruce Catton

(Side A) Historian, author, editor, Bruce Catton (1899-1978) is best known for his two Civil War trilogies -- The Army of the Potomac and The Centennial History of the Civil War. Born in Petoskey, Catton spent most of his . . . — Map (db m97480) HM

Michigan (Benzie County), Benzonia — L0468 — Mills Community House

This building was a girls dormitory erected in 1909 for the Benzonia Academy. Named Mills Cottage in honor of the Reverend Harlow S. Mills, pastor of Benzonia Congregational Church from 1896 to 1916, it became property of that church when the . . . — Map (db m97479) HM

Michigan (Benzie County), Frankfort — S0272 — Marquette's Death

On May 18, 1675, Father Jacques Marquette, the great Jesuit missionary and explorer, died and was buried by two French companions somewhere along the Lake Michigan shore of the lower peninsula. Marquette had been returning to his mission at St. . . . — Map (db m97466) HM

Michigan (Berrien County), Benton Harbor — S717 — Israelite House of David / Mary's City of David
(Obverse Side) Israelite House of David Based on the teachings of the Christian Israelite tradition begun by Joanna Southcott in England in 1792. Benjamin and Mary Purnell founded the House of David communal religious community in . . . — Map (db m64809) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Benton Harbor — S155 — The Fruit Belt
Because of Lake Michigan's moderating effect, a narrow coastal strip from Indiana to Grand Traverse Bay, 300 miles north, is blessed by a climate uniquely suited to fruit growing. This fact was observed by the 1840's when peaches already were being . . . — Map (db m64812) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Benton Harbor — L37 — The Morton House
This house built in 1849, by Eleazar Morton and his son Henry, was occupied until 1936 by four generations of Mortons. The oak-framed barn was built in 1840. Members of the Morton family, pioneers in this area, were prominent in Benton Harbor's . . . — Map (db m43844) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Berrien Springs — S250 — Andrews University
This, the oldest Seventh-day Adventist college and the pioneer in a world-wide system of Christian education, was chartered in 1874 at Battle Creek as Battle Creek College. It was moved to Berrien Springs in 1901 where its name was changed to . . . — Map (db m64917) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Berrien Springs — HB50 — Berrien Springs Courthouse
This building, a fine example of the Greek Revival style, was designed by Gilbert B. Avery in 1838. James Lewis, the contractor, agreed to complete the building by April, 1839. Built almost entirely of whitewood, the courthouse has hand-hewn timbers . . . — Map (db m64918) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Berrien Springs — L2130 — Union Church and Cemetery
In 1857 Protestants of different denominations established a church and cemetery on property purchased from Zera and Eliza Wright. They dedicated the Greek Revival-style Union Church on July 4, 1858. The denominations held services on alternating . . . — Map (db m64939) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Bertrand — S0286 — Bertrand
Nearby French and English trading posts were known as parc aux vaches or “cowpens” for the wild buffalo once found here. Joseph Bertrand, an early trader, married the daughter of a Potawatomi chief and through her acquired land in . . . — Map (db m1604) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Bertrand — L1363C — Parc Aux VachesMadeline Bertrand Park
Known as Parc aux Vaches, or “cow pasture,” this area was named by the French for the wild buffalo that once grazed here. Two major Indian trails crossed here: the Sauk Trail, also called the old Chicago Trail, which linked Detroit and . . . — Map (db m64552) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Bertrand — 260 — St. Joseph's Mission
Here, in 1837, in the then flourishing settlement of Bertrand, a fine brick church, dedicated to St. Joseph, was built to serve the Catholics of this area. In this church, on September 8, 1844, the habit of the Sisters of the Holy Cross was given . . . — Map (db m64931) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Buchanan — L1368A — Portage Prairie United Methodist Church
(Side 1) Persuaded by reports of good land from the Reverend John Seybert, Bishop of the Ohio Conference, the Jacob and David Rough families came to Portage Prairie from Pennsylvania in the spring of 1849. In 1851 they organized the Zion . . . — Map (db m64835) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Lakeside — L2134 — Lakeside Inn
Known as Ames Grove, this property served as a picnic ground and recreation area beginning in the 1880s. John Aylesworth purchased the property in 1901 and opened the Lakeside Inn in this building as early as 1915. The hotel once had its own zoo and . . . — Map (db m64830) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), New Buffalo — L1256 — New Buffalo Welcome Center
The nation’s first Highway Travel Information center opened on May 4, 1935, on US-12 at New Buffalo, not far from here. Other states followed Michigan’s lead, and by 1985 there were 251 travel information centers across the nation. The New Buffalo . . . — Map (db m1593) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), New Buffalo — 718 — West Michigan Pike
(side 1) At the turn of the twentieth century, deep ruts and sand made West Michigan roads nearly impassable. In 1911 the West Michigan Lakeshore Highway Association was founded to promote the construction of the first improved highway . . . — Map (db m60839) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L0477 — Ferry Street School
Constructed in 1867 at a cost of nearly $3,000, the Ferry Street School opened in January, 1868 as Niles’s school for “colored children.” In 1870 the Niles school system was integrated, and this facility closed. It reopened as an . . . — Map (db m1635) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — S0004 — Fort St. Joseph
The French fort built here in 1691 controlled southern Michigan’s principal Indian trade routes. Missionaries and fur traders were here already. The fort became a British outpost in 1761. Two years later it was one of the forts seized by Indians . . . — Map (db m1628) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L1643 — Four Flags Hotel
The Four Flags Hotel opened with much fanfare on July 6, 1926. The newly formed Niles Hotel Corporation had raised $350,000 to build a hotel on the site of the Pike House hostelry. Chicago architect Charles W. Nicol designed the hotel, which was . . . — Map (db m1629) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — S0655 — John and Horace Dodge / The Dodge Brothers
John and Horace Dodge. Auto barons John (1864–1920) and Horace (1868–1920) Dodge were born and raised in Niles. During the 1830s, their grandfather, Ezekiel, had migrated from Massachusetts to Niles, where he ran a steam engine . . . — Map (db m1707) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L2112 — Johnson Cemetery
John Johnson Sr. donated property for this cemetery in 1838. His son Samuel had been buried on the land in 1835. John Johnson Jr. was among the township's first white settlers. The Johnsons and many pioneers are buried here. All but 20 of the 211 . . . — Map (db m64953) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L1874 — Michigan Central Railroad Depot / Michigan Central Railroad Company
(Obverse Side) Michigan Central Railroad Depot This Richardsonian Romanesque-style depot was constructed in 1892 by the Michigan Central Railroad Company. Seeking to create a lasting impression of Michigan for passengers . . . — Map (db m68480) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L732A — Morris Chapel Church
The local Methodist Episcopal Society, the oldest Methodist society in Berrien Township, was organized in 1840. In 1846 it voted to name its church in honor of Bishop Thomas A. Morris, then the head of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Michigan. . . . — Map (db m64952) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — S0339 — Ring Lardner
Sportswriter, humorist, sardonic observer of the American scene, Ring Lardner was born in the house across the street on March 6, 1885. Possibly the best-known American author in the 1920s, he began his career writing sketches of sporting events for . . . — Map (db m1632) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — S0344 — Saint Mary’s
The Roman Catholic Church in Niles traces its origin to the Indian Mission established at nearby Fort St. Joseph in the late 1600’s. Reestablished at Bertrand, three miles south of Niles, in the 1830s, the mission moved into town in 1849 and was . . . — Map (db m1606) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L1902 — Second Baptist Church
In 1851 the Reverends J.W. Hackley and D.G. Lett organized the Second Baptist Church under the Anti-Slavery Baptist Association. The first of four churches—a log building—was erected on the southeast corner of Sixth and Ferry streets. In . . . — Map (db m1607) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L0475 — The Chapin House / Henry Austin Chapin
The Chapin House. This Queen Anne style house, completed in 1884, was the Henry A. Chapin family home until 1902. In 1932, when the City of Niles bought the property at auction for $300, the Chapin children stipulated that it be used only for . . . — Map (db m1706) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L0062 — Trinity Church
This is the oldest existing church structure in Niles, located in the oldest Episcopal parish in the Diocese of Western Michigan. The first Episcopal service in Niles was conducted by Bishop Philander Chase in 1832. The parish was organized in 1834. . . . — Map (db m1634) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L0734 — Wesley United Methodist Church
In 1839 circuit riders from Ohio began preaching in Niles, using the barroom of a local hotel. In 1832 nine worshipers formed the Methodist class that grew to be the Wesley United Methodist Church. They dedicated their first house of worship in . . . — Map (db m1605) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Sodus Township — L1923 — The Hogue House
In 1854 Robert Hogue (1846-1905) migrated from Pennsylvania to Pipestone Township with his family. At age seventeen, he began teaching in a local school. He attended Adrian College, later graduating from the University of Michigan before he resumed . . . — Map (db m64868) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — S234 — Burnett's Post
William Burnett, an American patriot from New Jersey, established a trading post on the bank of the St. Joseph River immediately east of this point between 1775 and 1782. He was the first permanent white resident of this area. He married Kakima, . . . — Map (db m64855) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — 6 — Fort Miami
Here in November 1679, on the Miami River, as the St. Joseph was then called, La Salle, the French explorer built a fort as a base for his western explorations. Here he awaited the Griffin, the upper lakes' first ship. When the ill-fated vessel did . . . — Map (db m64837) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — L1019A — Old St. Joseph Neighborhood
During the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, local river captains, mill owners, merchants and other professionals built homes in this neighborhood. Over one hundred of their homes remain. They exemplify popular architectural styles . . . — Map (db m64856) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Three Oaks — S0239 — The Dewey Cannon
This cannon, captured in the Spanish-American War by Admiral Dewey, was presented to Three Oaks when its citizens raised $1,400 for a memorial to the men of the battleship Maine. This was the largest contribution, per capita, of any community in the . . . — Map (db m1603) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Union Pier — L2179 — Gordon Beach Inn
Built in 1924 by Louis and Lena Gordon, and expanded four years later, Gordon Beach Inn was the centerpiece of the Jewish resort subdivision of the same name. The Gordons operated the inn for a decade before losing it during the Great Depression. . . . — Map (db m64829) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Bronson — L2090 — Bronson Public Library
The Bronson library originated in the early 1880s as the Ladies Library Association. In 1888 the township assumed ownership. Built with funds donated by steel tycoon Andrew Carnegie, the Classical Revival Bronson Public Library opened on May 23, . . . — Map (db m64550) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Bronson — S162 — The Chicago Road
One of the great routes for the pioneers coming west was the Chicago Road. The survey of the road began at Detroit in 1825 and followed closely the Sauk Trail which Indians had marked and traveled for centuries before the coming of the white man. . . . — Map (db m64549) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L1642C — Branch County / Branch County Courthouse Site
(Obverse Side) Branch County Branch County, named for John Branch, President Andrew Jackson's secretary of the navy, was one of thirteen counties established by the Michigan Territorial Legislature in 1829. The village of Branch, . . . — Map (db m66759) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L657A — First Presbyterian Church
Organized in 1837, the same year that Coldwater became a village, the local Presbyterian society held services in various quarters until 1844 when it erected its first church. It completed the present Romanesque Revival-style brick church in 1869 at . . . — Map (db m66767) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — S489 — Governor Cyrus Gray Luce
On this site lived Cyrus Gray Luce, twenty-seventh Governor of Michigan. Born in Ohio in 1824, he moved to Branch County about 1849. He soon became involved in township, local and state politics, serving on the Board of Agriculture, in the . . . — Map (db m66760) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L2258 — H.C. Lewis Art Gallery / Masonic Temple
H.C. Lewis Art Gallery Businessman Henry Clay Lewis and his wife, Alma, built the original part of this structure in 1869 to house their extensive art collection and make it available to the public. The Italianate building complimented the . . . — Map (db m103503) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L1490C — Harriet Quimby
(Front Side) According to a long-standing Quimby family tradition, early aviatrix Harriet Quimby was born in the Coldwater area on May 1, 1875, to Ursula (Cook) and William Quimby. She spent her childhood in Arcadia, Michigan, and Arroyo . . . — Map (db m67528) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — S275 — Michigan Library Association
The first formal step toward the founding of a state library association was taken by Mary A. Eddy, of the Coldwater Free Public Library, in a letter to Henry M. Utley of the Detroit Public Library on January 13, 1891. They had discussed this matter . . . — Map (db m66717) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — S530B — State Public School at Coldwater / Coldwater Regional Center
State Public School at Coldwater In 1871 the Michigan legislature authorized the building of a special state public school to furnish temporary support and instruction for dependent and neglected children between the ages of four and . . . — Map (db m68976) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L19 — The City of Coldwater, 1861-1961
Potawatomie Indians ceded Coldwater Prairie to the United States in 1827. The Indians called it “Chuck-sew-ya-bish,” meaning “cold spring water.” Coldwater is located at the junction of Old Sauk and Fort Wayne Indian trails. . . . — Map (db m65858) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — S445 — Wing House Museum
(Front Side) This impressive Second Empire style home with mansard roof was constructed in 1875 for Jay M. Chandler (1850-1884) and his young bride Frances. On this site from 1847-1871 had stood the Parrish flouring mill. Jay, the fourth . . . — Map (db m66761) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Girard Township — L2015 — Methodist Episcopal Church
Methodists held the first religious services in Girard Township. Organized in 1832 by the Reverend Ezekiel Gavit, a circuit rider, the congregation met in homes and a school until a church was built in 1844. When that structure burned in 1887 it was . . . — Map (db m65812) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Quincy — L1508A — Quincy Public Library
(Front Side) In 1906 Quincy businessman Charles W. Bennett and steel entrepreneur Andrew Carnegie both offered to build a library in Quincy Township. Carnegie required that the township provide the land and name the building after him. . . . — Map (db m66774) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — L2190 — First Congregational Church
On March 7, 1837, the Reverend Calvin Clark of Homer led sixteen people in organizing the First Congregational Church of Union City. The congregation is likely the oldest of this denomination in the state. This Romanesque Revival building dates from . . . — Map (db m65805) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — L28 — Union City Iron Furnace
On March 17, 1847, the Union City Iron Company was incorporated with leading citizens of the town as stockholders. The company was formed to produce iron from the bog and kidney iron ore deposits in Union and neighboring townships. A furnace was . . . — Map (db m65808) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — L1835 — Union City Methodist Episcopal Church
(Side One) During 1836-37, cabinetmaker David Hull led the organization of the township's first religious society. Circuit-riding ministers held services for Union City's fledgling Methodist congregation on alternate Sundays. The group . . . — Map (db m65806) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Albion — 212 — Albion College
Methodists obtained a charter for Spring Arbor Seminary from the Territorial Council of Michigan in March, 1835. Later the institution was established in Albion on land donated by Jesse Crowell, a leading Albion pioneer and benefactor. In 1841 the . . . — Map (db m27744) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Albion — 215 — Birthplace of "Old Rugged Cross"
"The Old Rugged Cross," one of the world's best-loved hymns, was composed here in 1912 by the Rev. George Bennard (1873-1958). The son of an Ohio coal miner, Bennard was a lifelong servant of God, chiefly in the Methodist ministry. He wrote the . . . — Map (db m27745) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Albion — 216 — Birthplace of Famed Song
It was in the spring of 1911 that two freshmen at Albion College, Byron D. Stokes and F. Dudleigh Vernor, wrote the words and music for a song they called "The Sweetheart of Sigma Chi." The song made a hit with their fraternity brothers, and . . . — Map (db m27742) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Albion — 1695 — First Presbyterian Church
(Front) In February 1837 the Reverend Calvin Clark, a circuit riding pastor sent by the American Home Missionary Society, met with twenty-four persons and organized the Albion Presbyterian Church. The first church was built in 1840 on the . . . — Map (db m28378) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Albion — 97 — Gardner House Museum
Augustus P. Gardner (1817-1905), a wealthy hardware merchant, built this Victorian style house in 1975. A three-story, thirteen-room mansion with a mansard roof, it was Gardner's home until his death in 1905. In 1966, after decades of neglect, the . . . — Map (db m28379) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Albion — 1723 — Mother's Day In Albion / Mother's Day
Marker Front: On May 13, 1877, the second Sunday of the month, Juliet Calhoun Blakeley stepped into the pulpit of the Methodist-Episcopal Church and completed the sermon for the Reverend Myron Daugherty. According to local legend, Daugherty . . . — Map (db m27817) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Albion — 13 — The First Home
The first house at what was then known as the "Forks of the Kalamazoo" was erected near this site by Tenney Peabody, a New Yorker. To this cabin with its thatched roof of grass from the banks of the nearby Kalamazoo River, Albion's first settler . . . — Map (db m27815) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Albion — 566 — The Observatory
The Albion College Astronomical Observatory was built in 1883-84 at the urging of Dr. Samuel Dickie, who later became president of the college. Dickie helped raise $10,000 to build and equip the facility. The observatory still harbors its original . . . — Map (db m27743) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Homer — L439 — Homer Fire Station
This brick structure with arched windows and a decorative cornice was built in 1876, five years after Homer incorporated as a village. A fire station, jail, and city offices initially occupied the building which is located in the center of the . . . — Map (db m78879) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marengo — 1 — Marengo Pioneer Cemetery
This site on Territorial Road was a gift of Seeley Neal (1778-1862) from 640 acres acquired from the government in 1831. Neal, a veteran of the War of 1812, built the first log house in the township. His was the first family to locate in the . . . — Map (db m28398) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 1240 — American Museum of Magic
Presto-Change-O! From saloon to billiard parlor, to clothing store, to bakery, to museum, this edifice, built in 1868, has known many transformations. Since April Fools' Day 1978 it has housed a unique collection that celebrates the magician's arts . . . — Map (db m28371) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 491 — Charles T. Gorham
Gorham (1812-1901) came to Marshall in 1836 from New York State. First a merchant, he became a banker and in 1865 organized the First National Bank of Marshall, now the Michigan National Bank. He was a defendant in the famous Crosswhite fugitive . . . — Map (db m28375) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 1226 — First Baptist Church
The Reverend Thomas Z.R. Jones, a traveling missionary, began visiting the Marshall area in 1838. On January 16, 1840, he helped organize the First Baptist Church of Marshall with eight members. The group erected this church in 1850-51. They . . . — Map (db m28377) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 1051 — Grand Army of the Republic / The G.A.R. Hall
(Front): In 1866 northern Civil War veterans organized the Grand Army of the Republic to fight for veterans' pensions and other benefits. Michigan's first chapter was formed the next year. National membership peaked in 1890 with 409,489 . . . — Map (db m28380) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 512 — Harold C. Brooks / Fitch-Gorham-Brooks House
(Front) Harold Craig Brooks (1885-1978) was Marshall's mayor from 1925 to 1931, patron, and philanthropist. His interest in city beautification set a standard for preservation and adaptive use as early as 1921. He owned and protected more . . . — Map (db m28382) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 42 — Honolulu House
Abner Pratt settled in Marshall in 1839 and in the 1850s became Chief Justice of the State Supreme Court. In 1857-59 he was United States Consul to the Sandwich (Hawaiian) Islands. Returning home, he built this house in 1860 to recreate the island . . . — Map (db m28384) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 989 — Howard F. Young / Postmasters
(Front) Howard F. Young (1889-1934), a native of Allegan, designed this Marshall post office building in 1932. Young studied engineering at the University of Michigan and was involved in construction work in Albany, New York, Detroit and . . . — Map (db m28390) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 503 — Isaac E. Crary and John D. Pierce / State School System
(Front) When attorney Isaac E. Crary came to Marshall in 1832 from Connecticut, he became fast friends with another transplanted easterner, the Reverend John D. Pierce. Interested in government and education, these two men in 1834-35 . . . — Map (db m28391) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 397 — Isaac E. Crary House
Michigan's first congressman lived here from the early 1840s until his death in 1854. Located on lots one and two, original plat, lower village, the house was a wedding gift from his father-in-law, Judge Abner Pratt. Arriving here in 1831, Crary was . . . — Map (db m28392) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 888 — James A. Miner
James A. Miner, born in Marshall in 1842, began studying law in Clinton, Iowa, in 1860. Completing his studies in Marshall, he was admitted to the Calhoun County bar in 1863. There he was circuit court commissioner (1866-1870) and prosecuting . . . — Map (db m28393) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 454 — John D. Pierce Homesite
On this foundation stood the log house of the Reverend John D. Pierce. Born in New Hampshire, Pierce moved to Marshall in 1831, where he founded the Congregational church. In 1834 he and Isaac Crary designed Michigan's school system, and from 1836 . . . — Map (db m28394) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 654 — Lieutenant George A. Woodruff
(Front): Lieutenant George A. Woodruff (1840-1863) graduated early from West Point because of the start of the Civil War. Young Woodruff served valiantly with the Army of the Potomac. At Gettysburg he was mortally wounded while defending . . . — Map (db m28395) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 375 — Marshall
Founded in 1831 by Sidney Ketchum and settles from New York and New England, the town was named in honor of Chief Justice John Marshall. Townsmen Isaac Crary and the Rev. John Pierce planned in 1834 the innovative Michigan public school system. . . . — Map (db m28450) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 2161 — Mary Miller / Hillside
(Front) This house, built for local attorney Henry W. Taylor and long owned by the Schuyler family, was also home to Mary "Mazie" Miller (1871-1941) and her husband, Craig. An outspoken suffragette and Republican political activist, Miller . . . — Map (db m28451) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Cassopolis — L487 — Cass County Courthouse
Completed in 1899, this wooden frame building with limestone veneer is the third courthouse to serve Cass County. The Territorial Government of Michigan established the county in 1829 and named it after then Governor Lewis Cass. Two years later . . . — Map (db m64729) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Cassopolis — L1352 — Chain Lake Baptist Church and Cemetery
In the 1830s southern runaway slaves bound for freedom in Canada came into Michigan near Cassopolis. In 1840, Cass County's Quaker community, which provided a haven for the fugitives, became an integral part of the Underground Railroad. Many free . . . — Map (db m64712) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Cassopolis — L367 — Newton House
Designed by Christian Haefner in the 1860s, this house belonged to George Newton, a state legislator. The cupola, projecting eaves, and symmetrically grouped windows distinguish its architecture. This building is located in the 580 acre densely . . . — Map (db m64730) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — L1977 — First Methodist Episcopal Church
Circuit-riding ministers established a Methodist class in Silver Creek Township in 1843. Five families attended the earliest meetings, held in the home of Leroy L. Curtis, the first class leader. In 1844 the Reverend David Whitlock was appointed . . . — Map (db m64737) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — L1724 — Indian Lake Cemetery
Indian Lake Cemetery has been in use since the 1840s and contains the remains of many of the earliest settlers of Silver Creek Township. Many of the community’s first funerals were held in a log schoolhouse immediately to the south of here. In 1852 . . . — Map (db m75358) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — L348 — Sacred Heart of Mary Catholic Church
Chief Leopold Pokagon and his tribe of Potawatomi Indians built a log church here in 1838 and deeded the forty acres of land on which it stood to the Catholic Bishop of Detroit. Pokagon, who came to Silver Creek Township from his village outside of . . . — Map (db m64735) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — L1028A — St. Paul's Church / Episcopal Church
(Obverse Side) St. Paul's Church Under the leadership of Justus Gage (1805-1875), this structure was built as a Universalist church. Completed at a cost of $3,000, it is Dowagiac's oldest public building. At the time of completion, . . . — Map (db m64731) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Edwardsburg — L821A — District Schoolhouse
This late-Victorian schoolhouse was built in 1874-75. Constructed at a cost of $3,000, it is made of locally manufactured yellow and red brick. The 1882 Cass County History described it as "the best rural schoolhouse in the State." Its two . . . — Map (db m64644) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Edwardsburg — L652A — Smith's Chapel
The first Methodist church in Milton Township was organized in 1839. The following year, this church was built and named Smith's Chapel to honor Canon Smith, who had contributed generously to the construction of the church. Smith, a native of . . . — Map (db m64740) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Edwardsburg — L2079 — The Presbyterian Church
In 1831, Luther Humphrey of the American Home Missionary Society organized the Presbyterian Church of Edwardsburg. He described the village as "a few log cabins...standing amongst the bushes and brush." Members worshipped in homes until the chapel . . . — Map (db m64739) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Jones — L1817C — Poe's Corners
In 1835, George Poe (1779-1851) emigrated from Crawford County, Ohio, and settled on land deeded to him by the U.S. government. Within two years he acquired 520 acres of land in Newberg Township. Many members of the Poe family settled in this . . . — Map (db m64546) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Pokagon — L668 — Methodist Episcopal Church / The Old Rugged Cross
(Obverse Side) Methodist Episcopal Church Circuit-riding Methodist ministers held religious services in Pokagon Township during the 1830s and 1840s. A class was organized in Sumnerville in 1840. In 1876 the Methodists purchased . . . — Map (db m64747) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Sumnerville — S666/L667 — Sumnerville Mounds / Sumnerville Cemetery
(Obverse Side) Sumnerville Mounds Between the first and fourth centuries A.D. Hopewell Indians built nine burial mounds near here. The six remaining earthen mounds reflect the Hopewellian culture, which flourished in the Eastern . . . — Map (db m64742) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Vandalia — S137 — The Underground Railroad
Vandalia, prior to the Civil War, was the junction of two important "lines" of the "Underground Railroad." Slaves fleeing through Indiana and Illinois came to Cass County, where Quakers and others gave them shelter. Fugitives seeking a refuge in . . . — Map (db m64724) HM
Michigan (Charlevoix County), Big Rock Point — S0701 — Big Rock Point / Nuclear Power Plant

(Side A) Big Rock Point Big Rock Point is named for a large boulder used as a landmark by Native Americans. At least as early as the mid-nineteenth century Odawa (Ottawa) Indians used Big Rock, which they called Kitcheossening, . . . — Map (db m97483) HM

Michigan (Charlevoix County), Horton Bay — S0463 — Horton Bay

Named for pioneer settler Samuel Horton, this village was founded as a lumbering community in 1876, complete with sawmill, shanty boys, boarding house, company store, blacksmith shop and draft horses. The store and many early buildings still . . . — Map (db m98027) HM

Michigan (Cheboygan County), Indian River — 127 — Inland Waterway
The glaciers of the last Ice Age retreated to the north some 25,000 years ago, leaving behind the lakes that rank as Michigan's most notable geographical feature. Among the state's largest inland lakes is Burt Lake, named after William A. Burt, who, . . . — Map (db m33247) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 377 — Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse
This light is opposite the turning point for ships making the difficult passage through the Straits of Mackinac, one of the busiest crossroads of the Great Lakes. McGulpin's Point light, two miles to the west, had been established in 1856, but it . . . — Map (db m40053) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 1154 — Old Mill Creek
In 1780 the British garrison at Fort Michilimackinac moved to Mackinac Island as a safer location during the American Revolution. Robert Campbell built a sawmill on this site to furnish lumber for the new fort and settlement. His sawmill and dam . . . — Map (db m59978) HM
Michigan (Chippewa County), DeTour Village — 2252 — DeTour Reef Light Station
Side One: Located where the St. Mary’s River enters Lake Huron from Lake Superior, DeTour Passage separates the Upper Peninsula from Drummond Island. It has long been a choke point for Great Lakes shipping. Anticipating increased traffic as a . . . — Map (db m70781) HM
Michigan (Chippewa County), Paradise — 725 — Emerson
Once a thriving hub of pine lumbering, Emerson is now a fishing hamlet. Just one mile south of the mouth of the Tahquamenon River (immortalized in Longfellows poem “Hiawatha”), this settlement overlooks picturesque Whitefish Bay. The . . . — Map (db m44588) HM
Michigan (Chippewa County), Paradise — 272 — Whitefish Point Lighthouse
This light, the oldest active on Lake Superior, began operating in 1849, though the present tower was constructed later. Early a stopping place for Indians, voyageurs, and Jesuit missionaries, the point marks a course change for ore boats and other . . . — Map (db m40054) HM
Michigan (Clare County), Clare — L1909 — Clare Congregational Church
Saginaw architect William T. Cooper designed this church in a Greek cross plan. The church, built in 1909, is one of only a few in Michigan that reflect how early twentieth-century Protestants adopted the architecture of the fifth- and sixth-century . . . — Map (db m98777) HM
Michigan (Clinton County), Lansing — S0625 — Michigan Education Association / Michigan Association of Counties
Michigan Education Association When completed in 1928, this building marked the Michigan Education Association's seventy-fifth anniversary. The Lansing architectural firm of Warren Holmes-Powers Company designed the Neo-Georgian structure. The . . . — Map (db m103661) HM
Michigan (Clinton County), St. Johns — L765 — Paine-Gillam-Scott House
Lured by the railroad, John W. Paine (1821-1870) moved from the nearby Rochester Colony to St. Johns. In 1860 he built the town's first brick store and this house. The office was later added to this site. Dr. Samuel Gillam (1845-1908) remodeled the . . . — Map (db m68222) HM
Michigan (Crawford County), Grayling — L2270 — Michelson Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1882, residents of Grayling built the town's first church for the Methodist Episcopal congregation that had organized in 1879. In 1918, local lumberman Nels Michelson donated funds to erect a large brick church in honor of his late wife, . . . — Map (db m95652) HM
Michigan (Crawford County), Grayling — S0709 — The Return of Kirtland's Warbler
The Kirtland's Warbler was first identified in 1851 from a specimen collected on Dr. Jared Kirtland's Ohio farm. The birds originally depended on fire-created young jack pine forests for summer nesting. Such forests in northern Michigan became their . . . — Map (db m33239) HM
Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — S0151A — Bay View / Bay View Association

(Side A) Bay View Bay View comprises one of Michigan's most spectacular collections of Victorian era architecture. Sweeping verandas and stately turrets characterize the Queen Anne style evident in the cottages and public buildings. . . . — Map (db m97487) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — S0151 — Stafford's Bay View Inn

J. W. Howard completed this spacious inn in 1887, naming it the Woodland Avenue House because of its proximity to that street. Later he called the hotel the Howard House. In 1923 the popular resort became the Roselawn in honor of Horace Rose, . . . — Map (db m97565) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — Terrace Inn

When the Terrace Inn opened in 1911, its owners billed it as Bay View's "newest and most modern hotel." One of only two remaining hotels among the resort's four hundred Victorian houses and public buildings, it was built to accommodate the . . . — Map (db m97485) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Cross Village — S0612 — The Legs Inn

(Side A) The Legs Inn, named for the stove legs that trim the roofline, is one of Michigan's most exuberant and unusual landmarks. The building reflects Stanley Smolak's creativity and the craftsmanship of local Odawa (Ottawa) Indians. A . . . — Map (db m97844) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Harbor Springs — S0352 — Andrew J. Blackbird House / Makade Binisii Wegamik

(Side A) Andrew J. Blackbird House Andrew J. Blackbird (c.1815 - 1908), an important figure in the history of the Odawa (Ottawa) tribe, was the son of a chief. Educated in the traditions of the Odawa, he also attended Euro-American . . . — Map (db m97594) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Harbor Springs — S0248 — Ephraim Shay

The many-sided house across the street, sheathed in steel plates, was built for Ephraim Shay, inventor of the Shay locomotive. Patented in 1881, the locomotive operated by a gear-drive mechanism. Its great traction and ability to operate on . . . — Map (db m97600) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Harbor Springs — L2165 — GR&I Railroad Depot

The Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad linked Harbor Springs to its main line in 1882, further opening the Little Traverse Bay area to resort and commercial development. Grand Rapids architect Sidney J. Osgood designed this depot, built in 1889, . . . — Map (db m97604) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Mackinaw City — S0011 — Fort Michilimackinac
This fort, built about 1715, put French soldiers at the Straits for the first time since 1701. French authority ceased in 1761 when the British troops entered the fort. On June 2, 1763, during Pontiac's uprising, Chippewa Indians seized the fort, . . . — Map (db m7670) HM
Michigan (Emmet County), Middle Village — L0491 — St. Ignatius of Loyola Church and Cemeterychi-twah Ignatius nuh-ma guh-mik

(Side A) St. Ignatius of Loyola Church and Cemetery By the 1740s, French Catholic missionaries had come to this area, known to the Odawa as Waganakising, to minister to local tribes. Later, missionary work was taken up by others, . . . — Map (db m97790) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — L2067 — Hotel Perry

During the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, city-dwellers from the Midwest escaped hot summers in the fresh air of northern Michigan. Constructed in 1899 for Norman J. Perry, the Hotel Perry catered to these vacationers with its . . . — Map (db m97875) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — S0166 — Little Traverse Bay
For centuries this region has been the home of Ottawa Indians, whose warriors and orators fought bravely to retain their land. Around 1700 a mission was built by French Jesuits at the famous L'Arbre Croche villages which stretched from Cross Village . . . — Map (db m55405) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — L164 — Fenton House
Constructed soon after the Detroit and Milwaukee Railroad reached town in 1855, this hotel has been a favorite resting and dining spot for over a century. It was said in 1883 that the guests were "entertained in a style unsurpassed in many large . . . — Map (db m94761) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — L1387 — Fenton United Methodist Church
In March 1837 the Reverend Washington Jackson formed a Methodist congregation in Dibbleville (present-day Fenton) at the home of Levi Warren. Warren donated land and the first church was built in 1853. Its brick walls collapsed during the . . . — Map (db m94759) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Fenton — L2019 — Saint Jude's Episcopal Church
On May 3, 1858, the Reverend Henry Banwell held Fenton's first Episcopal service for the Ladies Mite Society. The society formally organized as Saint Jude's Episcopal Church on July 18, 1859. In 1860 members built their first church on this site, . . . — Map (db m94716) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Otisville — L2180 — E. S. Swayze Drugstore
E. S. Swayze opened a drugstore on this site prior to 1870. When the store burned in 1874, Swayze built this one. Members of the Free Methodist Church used the second-floor meeting hall for services from 1887 to 1890. In 1903 Masonic Lodge #401 and . . . — Map (db m33728) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Otisville — L2191 — Laing-Mason House
This house was built in stages between the 1860s and the 1930s. In 1889 Dr. John B. Laing and his wife, Harriet, purchased the house. Raised in Vermont, Laing (1846-1908) came to Otisville in 1871 as one of the village's earliest physicians, and . . . — Map (db m33731) HM
Michigan (Gogebic County), Bessemer — 292 — Copper Peak Chippewa Hill
At an altitude of more than 1500 feet, 300 feet above the surrounding terrain, this location was the southernmost area in Michigan to offer a prospect of producing copper in commercial amounts. The Chippewa Copper Mining Company began work here in . . . — Map (db m45043) HM
Michigan (Gogebic County), Bessemer — 89 — Gogebic Iron Range
The Gogebic was the last of the three great iron ore fields opened in the Upper Peninsula and northern Wisconsin. Beginning in 1848 with Dr. A. Randall, federal and state geologists had mapped the ore formations almost perfectly long before any ore . . . — Map (db m45035) HM
Michigan (Gogebic County), Ironwood — 560 — Curry House
Here lived Solomon S. Curry, pioneer in the mining industry of the Ironwood area. Curry, a progressive, broad-minded man, was also instrumental in the building of the city of Ironwood, which through his efforts, grew from a wilderness to one of the . . . — Map (db m45047) HM
Michigan (Gogebic County), Ironwood — 523 — Newport Hill
On this site, on October 8, 1871, geologist Raphael Pumpelly of Harvard University discovered one of the iron ore formations that created Gogebic County’s “boom era”. The Newport Mine, named for Pumpelly’s home in Rhode Island, began . . . — Map (db m45048) HM
Michigan (Gogebic County), Ironwood — 12 — Norrie Park
This recreational area was named in honor of A. Lanfear Norrie, who in 1882 began to explore for iron ore on the Gogebic Range. His discovery resulted in the opening of the Norrie Mine in Ironwood. Soon other mines, such as the Ashland, Aurora, . . . — Map (db m45038) HM
Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Old Mission Point — L2059 — Hesler Log House

(Side A) The Hesler house is a rare surviving log house dating from the early settlement of the Old Mission Peninsula. From 1854 to 1856, Joseph and Mary Hesler built the house of hand hewn pine and hemlock logs fourteen miles south of . . . — Map (db m98182) HM

Michigan (Grand Traverse County), Traverse City — L0297 — Grand Traverse County Courthouse

Grand Traverse County was officially organized in 1851. Its first courthouse and jail were built in 1854 for $600 on land donated by the lumbering firm Hannah, Lay and Company. The courthouse, a wooden structure, burned in 1862. The county used . . . — Map (db m98213) HM

Michigan (Gratiot County), Alma — 181 — Alma College
On October 26, 1886, the Presbyterian Synod of Michigan accepted an offer by Ammi W. Wright of Alma of thirty acres of land, containing two buildings, and a gift of $50,000 from Alexander Folsom of Bay City, for the purpose of establishing Alma . . . — Map (db m91690) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Alma — S0567 — Michigan Masonic Home
In November 1885 the Michigan Masonic Home Association was established to raise funds for a home and health care facility for aged Masons. In 1891 Michigan's first Masonic Home, located on Reed's Lake near Grand Rapids, was opened. When fire . . . — Map (db m91683) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Ithaca — 176 — Gratiot County
This county was named for Gen. Charles Gratiot, builder of Fort Gratiot at Port Huron in 1814. A few Chippewas and other Indians lived in the area in 1831 when the county was laid out. A Lutheran Indian mission was set up in 1846 near what is now . . . — Map (db m90001) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Ithaca — L2224 — Henry R. Pattengill

Side 1
Henry R. Pattengill (1852-1918) was Michigan superintendent of public instruction from 1893 to 1897. As a textbook author, an orator and editor of Moderator-Topics, a journal for educators, he shaped Michigan's . . . — Map (db m91669) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Ithaca — L1703 — Jackson - Weller HouseBuilt 1881, 1906
Map (db m90511) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Riverdale — L545 — Lumberjack Park

Side 1
In 1926, when George Beck of Ithaca learned that one of the last stands of white pine in Gratiot County was going to be cut, he called on local lumberjacks and rivermen to buy the threatened forty-acre tract and preserve . . . — Map (db m91707) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Allen — L1899C — Captain Moses Allen
Moses Allen fought in the War of 1812, later serving as a captain in the Michigan militia. He became the first "white settler" in present-day Hillsdale County, settling here in April 1827, two years after working on the Chicago Road (present-day . . . — Map (db m66775) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — L1275 — College Baptist Church
This church was incorporated as the First Free Will Baptist Church on November 24, 1855. The congregation met at the Hillsdale College Chapel until the present church was constructed in 1867-68. This Romanesque building was designed by a Chicago . . . — Map (db m32250) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — S0294 — Hillsdale
The plat for the village of Hillsdale was filed in July, 1839, though the first settlement probably occurred a few years previously. Before that time this area had been inhabited mainly by a band of Potawatomi Indians led by their chief, Baw Beese. . . . — Map (db m33598) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — 230 — Hillsdale College
In 1844 a group of Freewill Baptists organized Michigan Central College at Spring Arbor. This college was the first in Michigan to grant degrees to women. Moved to Hillsdale in 1853 and chartered by the legislature in 1855, the school was renamed . . . — Map (db m34216) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — L1985 — Saint Peter's Episcopal Church
In 1839 Episcopalians held the first church service in Hillsdale. Saint Peter's Church was organized in 1844. The original Gothic Revival church dates from 1859 and forms the sanctuary of the present church. Saint Peter's housed the first pipe organ . . . — Map (db m33602) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — L1645 — St. Anthony's Catholic Church
The origins of Catholicism in Hillsdale County date to the 1840s when Irishmen who worked for the Southern Railroad settled here. In 1853 the Reverend Joseph Kindekens of Adrian and eighty-five people organized St. Anthony's parish. The former . . . — Map (db m33601) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Jonesville — 84 — Grace Episcopal Church
William N. Lyster, Irish-born missionary, preached in Jonesville in 1836, and Darius Barker organized the parish in 1838. A church featuring Classical and Gothic styling was begun in 1844 and consecrated by Bishop Samuel McCoskry in 1848. Panelling . . . — Map (db m32190) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Jonesville — 500 — Grosvenor House
Side 1 Completed in 1874, this structure of High Victorian Italianate design is one of the most magnificent residences in Michigan. The interior, an excellent example of a living museum of the 1870s, contains thirty-two rooms with . . . — Map (db m33656) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Litchfield — L814 — Congregational Church of Litchfield
Twenty charter members, led by the Reverend Elisha Buck, established this church on July 14, 1839. Founded as a Presbyterian mission, it was reorganized under the congregational polity by the Reverend J.J. Bliss in 1844. At first, worship services . . . — Map (db m63316) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Moscow — L1310 — Michigan and Ohio Railroad Depot
A grand celebration and a baseball game greeted the Michigan and Ohio Railroad when its track reached Moscow on September 4, 1883. This Stick Style station, completed the following month, was "quite an ornament to the place," according to the . . . — Map (db m66791) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Mosherville — L653A — Mosherville Church / Mosherville School
(Obverse Side) Mosherville Church The Mosherville Church was built in 1861-62 on land donated by Joseph and Mary Riggs. Originally part of the Litchfield circuit of the Methodist Episcopal Church, it became the home church of a . . . — Map (db m66790) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Somerset Center — S0624 — W. H. L. McCourtie / W. H. L. McCourtie Estate
W. H. L. McCourtie Somerset Center native W. H. L. McCourtie (1872-1933) was introduced to the cement industry by W. F. Cowham of Jackson in 1897. McCourtie soon went to Dallas, Texas, where he made a fortune speculating in oil and established . . . — Map (db m33416) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Calumet — L0112 — Calumet Theater
One of the first municipal theaters in America, the Calumet opened on March 20, 1900, "the greatest social event ever known in copperdom's metropolis." The theater contained a magnificent stage and elegant interior decorations, including an . . . — Map (db m76299) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Calumet — L1089 — St. Paul the Apostle Church
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church was established in 1889 by Slovenian immigrants who came to the area to work in the mines of the Copper Country. The wood frame church erected by the parish in 1890 was destroyed by fire in 1902. The following year . . . — Map (db m76302) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Calumet — 1337 — The Italian Hall / Italian Hall Tragedy
Side A The Italian Hall The building that stood on this site was called the Italian Hall, and was home to the Societa Mutua Beneficenza Italiana, which aided immigrants and others in need. Built in 1908, the hall housed a saloon . . . — Map (db m76300) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Houghton — S0690 — The Amphidrome / The Birth of Professional Hockey
side 1 The Amphidrome The Amphidrome stood on this site from 1902 until 1927, when it burned. The first hockey game was played in the arena on December 29, 1902, when Portage Lake beat the University of Toronto, 13-2. The Amphidrome . . . — Map (db m76308) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Houghton — L1319 — Trinity Episcopal Church
Many of the Cornish miners, storekeepers and mining captains who immigrated to this area during the Copper Country mining boom (1842-1860) were Anglicans. On July 17, 1860, the Reverend Samuel A. McCoskry, Episcopal Bishop of Michigan, met with nine . . . — Map (db m76306) HM
Michigan (Huron County), Huron City — S0369 — Pointe Aux Barques Lighthouse
The Pointe aux Barques Lighthouse and Lifesaving Station aided mariners for over a century, beginning in 1847. That year the United States Lighthouse Service built the first lighthouse on this site to mark the turning point of Lake Huron into . . . — Map (db m41201) HM
Michigan (Huron County), Port Hope — L0021 — Port Hope Chimney
This chimney was built in 1858 by John Geltz. It is all that remains of the lumber mill established that year by William R. Stafford. Port Hope grew up around the mill. For a score of years this town was a center of lumbering in the Thumb. It also . . . — Map (db m41202) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — L1894 — Collegeville / East Lansing
Collegeville In 1849 when D. Robert Burcham settled in this vicinity, Chippewa and Ottawa Indians lived along the Red Cedar River. Burcham journeyed here on the Indian trail that became the Grand River Road, also known as the Lansing-Howell . . . — Map (db m102977) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — L2094 — Masonic Temple
Local Masons organized in 1915 and promptly hired Lansing architect, Samuel D. Butterworth, a fellow Mason, to design a meeting hall. Butterworth rejected the practice of designing Masonic halls as elaborate classical temples, and instead blended . . . — Map (db m102986) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — L1338 — Michigan Automobile Dealers Association
In 1920 the Michigan Automotive Trade Association was founded in Detroit. On May 19, 1921, the group was incorporated, with the following officers: G.S. Garber, President: H.H. Shuart Secretary; and Clark Graves, Treasurer. The association's purpose . . . — Map (db m102983) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — S649 — Michigan State Medical Society / Michigan State Medical Society Headquarters
Michigan State Medical Society In 1819 five physicians organized the Michigan Medical Society in Detroit. Its purpose was "to examine medical students and certify those so deemed as doctors." The group reorganized in Ann Arbor as the . . . — Map (db m102984) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — L1502 — Monsignor Jerome V. MacEachin / St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Parish
Monsignor Jerome V. MacEachin Affectionately known as Father Mac, the Reverend Monsignor Jerome V. MacEachin (1904-1987) was associated with Lansing area Catholics for nearly 45 years. A native of Ubly, he was ordained in 1932. Father Mac . . . — Map (db m102974) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L2226 — Carnegie Library
Side A Andrew Carnegie credited libraries with opening the "treasures of knowledge and imagination through which youth may ascend." This belief led him to provide funding for more than 1,600 libraries across the United States. Designed by . . . — Map (db m103324) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L790A — Central United Methodist Church
The first recorded Methodist meeting in Lansing was held in 1845 when the Reverend Lewis Coburn preached in the log cabin of Joab Page of North Lansing. In 1850 a Methodist class (congregation) was formed in what is now central Lansing. Its first . . . — Map (db m103630) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1632 — Church of the Resurrection / Monsignor John A. Gabriels
Church of the Resurrection On June 15 1922, the Most Reverend Michael J. Gallagher, bishop of Detroit, sent Father John A. Gabriels to Lansing to establish a Catholic parish east of the Pere Marquette railroad tracks that would include East . . . — Map (db m103656) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L2147 — Durant Park / Arch
Durant Park William C. Durant was one of Michigan's most important industrialists and the founder of the General Motors Corporation. In 1919 Durant purchased this three-acre city block, once the estate of Mortimer Cowles, an Eaton Rapids . . . — Map (db m103629) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1471C — First Presbyterian Church
Side A This church, Lansing's first congregation to affiliate nationally (with the Marshall Presbytery), was founded on December 17, 1847. It was organized by the Reverend Calvin Clark, an agent for the American Home Missionary Society. . . . — Map (db m103502) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1908 — George E. Palmer / Old Newsboys
George E. Palmer George E. Palmer (1862 - 1944) served Lansing as a truant officer, police officer and superintendent of buildings for the Lansing Public Schools. Beginning in 1900 as a truant officer, Palmer worked with students who were not . . . — Map (db m103930) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L0521 — Grand Trunk Depot
Constructed in 1902, this castle-like building with its square tower was the Lansing station for the Grand Trunk Western Railroad until 1971. For decades passengers streamed through its doors. Here servicemen left and returned from military duty. . . . — Map (db m104014) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1430 — John T. Herrmann House
This English Tudor house was built in 1893 for John T. Herrmann, a Lansing tailor. Herrmann immigrated to Lansing from Bernsberg, Germany in 1872 with his wife, Katharine, and two children Henry and Christian, In 1878 John Herrmann opened the . . . — Map (db m103355) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1468 — Kerns Hotel Fire / Box 23 Club
Kerns Hotel Fire At 5:30 A.M. on December 11, 1934, the alarm outside the Kerns Hotel sounded. The 211-room four-story brick hotel that stood on this site had 215 registered guests. Before the last embers of the fire were extinguished, . . . — Map (db m104407) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L1449 — Lansing Community College
Lansing Community College was established on April 8, 1957, by the Lansing Public Schools. It opened that fall with 425 students and sixteen faculty members. It offered civil mechanical and electronics technologies as well as practical nursing and . . . — Map (db m103351) HM

654 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 454
Paid Advertisement