Touch FIRST to browse through the results shown on this page.
Missouri’s Civil War Historical Markers
Marker series published by Missouri’s Civil War Heritage Foundation, Inc., highlighting activities across the state. Not to be confused with the series published by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.
By Cosmos Mariner, September 9, 2017
Civil War Marker (wide view; showing marker, kiosk, and City Square Park in background)
A violent encounter between Southern partisan cavalry and Union forces occurred in and near Centralia on September 27, 1864. /The Southern forces were irregular Confederate partisan rangers under the overall command of William "Bloody Bill” . . . — — Map (db m116878) HM
The Civil War divided Missouri, but in Callaway County more soldiers served with the pro-Southern Missouri State Guard (MSG), the Confederate Army or irregular partisans. The MSG was a state-sanctioned force, organized in May 1861 to defend . . . — — Map (db m70386) HM
"The Columns" atop this hill are the venerated remains of Westminster College's original academic building, Westminster Hall, destroyed by fire in 1909. Founded in 1851, Westminster was one of the few Missouri colleges to function in some . . . — — Map (db m70437) HM
Missouri's Civil War
The Civil War on the Missouri-Kansas border was an extension of the raiding and looting that took place during the Bleeding Kansas era of 1854 to 1860. Early in the war, Kansas Jayhawkers and Redlegs dressed in blue . . . — — Map (db m20318) HM
The City of Union was founded in 1825. It was the second county seat of Franklin County, replacing New Port, which served the county from the time it separated from St. Louis County in 1818. In 1859, John T. Vitt constructed the brick building that . . . — — Map (db m124309) HM
Washington Railroad Depot Burns
Confederate General Marmaduke's forces were advancing on Washington as October 1864 approached, with fear and widespread panic among the town's residents. Many citizens crossed the river to evade the advance . . . — — Map (db m125893) HM
Settlers to what we now call Iron County arrived in the first few decades of the 19th century. Little did they know what would unfold just a few more decades later when the Civil War erupted in Missouri.
One of those first settlers was Ephraim . . . — — Map (db m99167) HM
You are standing on the site of the Danville Female Academy, and at your front is the sole surviving building of the Academy, the chapel and dormitory.
The Female Academy was founded in 1853 by the Reverend James H. Robinson at a time when . . . — — Map (db m42744) HM
Missouri achieved statehood in 1821 as a result of the famous "Missouri Compromise." It was decreed that Missouri be admitted as a slave state, but thereafter no state north of the 36º 30' North latitude in the Louisiana Territory would be . . . — — Map (db m44280) HM
More than one hundred and fifty years ago, Brigadier General John Pope faced a tactical dilemma on the Mississippi River. Confederate batteries at Island No. 10 blocked passage through a complex series of river bends. Although Pope held New Madrid, . . . — — Map (db m82003) HM
To further protect New Madrid from Union attack, a smaller fort was built on the east side of town at the mouth of St. John's Bayou. This upper fort, named Fort Bankhead (the original location was washed away by the ever-changing Mississippi River) . . . — — Map (db m82002) HM
In February 1862, Union Gen. John Pope, then stationed in central Missouri, was placed in command of the 20,000-man Army of the Mississippi and ordered to advance on Island #10 and New Madrid. On February 28th, Pope and his men left Commerce, MO and . . . — — Map (db m82006) HM
Northwest Missouri Tinderbox
Conflict and uncertainty were widespread in northwest Missouri in the summer of 1864. Federal forces struggled in a heavy-handed manner to control areas much too large for their capabilities. Raiders from . . . — — Map (db m65997) HM
The Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery was established by joint resolution of Congress in 1866, among the first burial grounds officially designated in the wake of the Civil War. Under the care of the Veterans Administration, the facility is open . . . — — Map (db m124986) HM
Nevada City was laid out as Vernon County's seat of government in 1855, and was named for a California town prominent during the Gold Rush. Founding spirit DeWitt C. Hunter had spent some years mining there before returning to western Missouri . . . — — Map (db m34210) HM