Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Idaho State Historical Society Historical Markers

Markers of the Idaho Highway Historical Marker Program administered by the Idaho State Historical Society in cooperation with the Idaho Transportation Department.
 
Airmail Service Marker at BSU image, Touch for more information
By Rebecca Maxwell, September 24, 2009
Airmail Service Marker at BSU
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 72 — Airmail Service
U.S. commercial airline service began with a Varney Airlines flight from Pasco to Boise which landed here on April 6, 1926. Army planes had delivered airmail before that time. After Varney Airlines was merged with newer companies to become United . . . — Map (db m22734) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 376 — Arrowrock Dam
Higher than any other dam from 1915 until 1934, Arrowrock Dam still is an essential part of Boise Valley's irrigation system. Located six miles upstream from here, Arrowrock is 350 feet high and 1,150 feet wide. Built at a cost of $4,725,000 to . . . — Map (db m22597) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 379 — Basque Country
Idaho has a large Basque community that preserves it's ancient European traditions in a new land of opportunity. Coming here originally to herd sheep on mountain and desert ranges, they shifted into other occupations as quickly as possible, making . . . — Map (db m31680) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 359 — Beaver Dick's Ferry
In 1863 and 1864, overland packers hauling supplies from Salt Lake City to Idaho City crossed here and took a direct route northward to More's Creek. They cut a steep grade from the Oregon Trail down to Beaver Dick's Ferry, which served a . . . — Map (db m22641) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 402 — Boise State University
Expanding from a two-year community college (1932-1965) to a campus with a graduate program, Boise State was designated as a university in 1974. Originating as an Episcopalian academy founded in 1892, this institution was located a mile north of . . . — Map (db m22735) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 343 — Diversion Dam
Diversion Dam was completed in 1909 to lift water into an already constructed New York canal system, greatly expanding its irrigated farmlands. After a quarter century of failure to dig a large canal above Diversion Dam, United States Reclamation . . . — Map (db m22586) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 318 — More's Creek
More's Creek is named for J. Marion More, leader of the party of miners who founded Idaho City, October 7, 1862. Like most of Idaho's early miners, he came originally from the South. Unlike most of them, he struck it rich. During the Idaho gold . . . — Map (db m22595) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 375 — Oregon Trail
Indians, trappers, and emigrants who came this way before 1900 used a more direct route to get between Boise and Glenns Ferry. Their road still can be seen at Bonneville Point 5 miles from here. Following close to a line of hills bordering a . . . — Map (db m22181) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 151 — The Oregon Trail
The Oregon Trail is still clearly visible coming off the rimrock across the river. Here the west bound emigrants after 1840 came gratefully down into this green valley. The first cart passed here with Spalding and Whitman, pioneer missionaries, . . . — Map (db m22639) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Meridian — 193 — Initial Point
All Idaho land surveys refer to a beginning point --"Initial Point"-- 16 miles directly south of here. When he began surveying Idaho in 1867, Lafayette Cartee, first surveyor general of Idaho Territory, established the initial point on a . . . — Map (db m53439) HM
Idaho (Adams County), Council — 420 — Old Railroads
An ambitious railroad project to a high Seven Devils copper mine (elevation 6800 ft.) created a lot of excitement here in 1898-1899. This would have been Idaho's highest mountain railroad if funding had been available to complete it. Construction . . . — Map (db m23226) HM
Idaho (Adams County), Meadows — 183 — Packer John's Cabin
John Welch -- always known as Packer John -- hauled supplies from Lewiston to Idaho City during a major Boise Basin gold rush of 1863-1864. He built a cabin (1/4 mile north of here) that immediately became an historic Idaho landmark. Territorial . . . — Map (db m37957) HM
Idaho (Adams County), Mesa — 374 — Mesa Orchards
For more than half a century, after 1910, an apple orchard of nearly 1400 acres, thought to be the largest in the United States under one management, covered this area. Investors, mostly from the eastern U.S., bought 10-acre shares to finance the . . . — Map (db m23222) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Bloomington — 319 — British SettlersBear Lake — LDS Church
Most early Bear Lake settlers came from Britain. One was the first woman convert to the LDS church in Europe.

Born in Preston, England, Aug. 24, 1806. Ann Elizabeth Walmsley Palmer was baptized July 30, 1837. An invalid, she was carried into the . . . — Map (db m99318) HM

Idaho (Bear Lake County), Montpelier — 446 — Bank Robbers
On Aug. 13, 1896, Butch Cassidy and his infamous Wild Bunch of gunmen invaded Montpelier's bank and scooped up more than $16,500 in gold, silver and currency. Leaving a surprised cashier and his terrified customers, they calmly rode away. A . . . — Map (db m90806) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Montpelier — 335 — Big Hill
On their way west to Oregon and California, emigrant wagons often crossed high ridges in order to avoid gullies and canyons. When he came here in 1843, Theodore Talbot noted that he "had to cross a very high hill, which is said to be the . . . — Map (db m90807) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Montpelier — 456 — McAuley's Road
Coming west with Ezra Meeker in 1852, Thomas McAuley decided to build a road to let emigrants bypass Big Hill. Worst of all Oregon Trail descents, Big Hill needed replacement. Eliza McAuley reported that her brother Tom "fished awhile, . . . — Map (db m90808) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Montpelier — 159 — Smith's Trading Post
In 1848, Pegleg Smith established a trading post on the Oregon Trail at Big Timber somewhere near here on the river. Some travelers called it "Fort Smith", though it had only four log cabins and some Indian lodges. Packing a plow and tools . . . — Map (db m90805) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), Montpelier — 157 — Thomas Fork
A bad ford gave trouble to wagon trains crossing this stream on the trail to California and Oregon in 1849. In that year, gold-seeking 49'ers developed a shortcut that crossed here. Then emigrants built two bridges here in 1850. But an . . . — Map (db m90804) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Carey — 354 — Goodale's Cutoff
When emigrants began to take their westbound wagons along an old Indian and trapper’s trail past this lava, they had to develop a wild and winding road. At this spot, like many others, they had hardly enough space to get by. At times, they . . . — Map (db m4650) HM
Idaho (Boise County), Grandjean — 435 — Emile Grandjean
An immigrant from Denmark where he had studied forestry, he came to this part of Idaho in 1883 to mine, hunt and trap. Before Idaho became a state in 1890, he built a winter cabin below Grandjean Peak on a site later occupied by Grandjean Ranger . . . — Map (db m22638) HM
Idaho (Boise County), Horseshoe Bend — 278 — Horse Shoe Bend
Gold was struck in Boise Basin (over the ridge to the east) in 1862, and the rush to these new mines came through here. Traffic came by steamer up the Columbia to Umatilla, and thence overland. At first there were only pack and saddle trains, but . . . — Map (db m23235) HM
Idaho (Boise County), Idaho City — 188 — Grimes' Creek
Named for George Grimes who, with Moses Splawn, led the party which on August 2, 1862 made the strike that started the Boise basin gold rush. The party was searching for a rich basin described to Splawn a year earlier by an Indian. Farther up . . . — Map (db m22600) HM
Idaho (Boise County), Idaho City — 186 — Idaho City
This roaring metropolis was founding early in October, 1862, about ten weeks after gold was discovered in Boise basin. By the next summer, this was the largest city in the Northwest, with 6,275 people -- 5,691 of them men! Families followed, and . . . — Map (db m22601) HM
Idaho (Boise County), Idaho City — 266 — The Old Toll Road
The Old Toll Road to Idaho City crossed the ridge from Boise through the lowest point you can see in the skyline across the valley. Climbing the More's creek canyon wall, it crossed this highway about here and swung north. The road was built and . . . — Map (db m22599) HM
Idaho (Boise County), Lowman — 442 — Emma Edwards
A talented artist, Emma Edwards went to work in 1890 to to design Idaho's state seal when she was only 18 years old. Although her father had moved to California after serving as governor of Missouri (1844 to 1848), Emma preferred to spend much of . . . — Map (db m22637) HM
Idaho (Boise County), Lowman — 444 — Lowman
In 1907, Nathaniel W. Lowman settled here, and four years later, when he started a post office in his large log house, this community was named for him. Only a few scattered settlers lived here then. Lowman got all its supplies once a year from a . . . — Map (db m22616) HM
Idaho (Bonner County), Hope — 148 — Kullyspell House
Idaho’s fur trade began in the fall of 1809 when David Thompson built a trading post 2.5 miles southwest of here. Kullyspell House (Thompson spelled “Kalispell” that way) was the earliest fur trade post in the American . . . — Map (db m73475) HM
Idaho (Bonner County), Hope — 320 — Lake Pend Oreille
When the last of the continental ice sheets blocked this valley, a great lake extended over 200 miles into Montana. Ice about as high as the mountain ridges held back water as deep as 800 to 1000 feet at Missoula, ten to twenty thousand . . . — Map (db m73490) HM
Idaho (Bonneville County), Idaho Falls — 224 — Eagle Rock Ferry
On June 20, 1863, Bill Hickman started a ferry 9 miles up Snake River for thousands of gold hunters headed for mines that now are in Montana. Named for an eagle that had a nest on a rock there, his ferry flourished until James Madison . . . — Map (db m70584) HM
Idaho (Bonneville County), Idaho Falls — 223 — Taylor's Bridge
Idaho’s earliest toll bridge spanned Snake River at this rocky site in 1865, replacing Eagle Rock Ferry, 9 miles upstream. James Madison Taylor (a relative of Presidents Madison and Taylor and a founder of Denver, Colorado) settled here in . . . — Map (db m70583) HM
Idaho (Butte County), Arco — 152 — Atoms for Peace
An important page in atomic history was written here on July 17, 1955, when the lights of Arco were successfully powered from atomic energy. Chosen by the Atomic Energy Commission as an experiment in the peaceful use of atomic power, Arco, Idaho . . . — Map (db m68916) HM
Idaho (Butte County), Arco — 304 — Lost River
When its water is not diverted for upstream irrigation, Lost River flows past here into a sink 14 miles to the northeast. Lava flows in the Snake River plains buried old channels of Lost River, Little Lost River, and Birch Creek. No longer able . . . — Map (db m70448) HM
Idaho (Butte County), Arco — 297 — Nuclear Reactors
Since 1949, more nuclear reactors – over 50 of them – have been built on this plain than anywhere else in the world. This 900-square-mile Idaho National Laboratory is the birthplace of the Nuclear Navy. Commercial power reactor . . . — Map (db m70447) HM
Idaho (Canyon County), Caldwell — 455 — Emigrant Crossing
After reaching Boise River, emigrant wagons had to travel 30 miles to find a good crossing about 1/4 mile north of here. They had to avoid a wide zone of shifting channels, so they descended Canyon Hill where the route is still visible. In . . . — Map (db m22326) HM
Idaho (Canyon County), Caldwell — 291 — The College of Idaho
Planned by the Presbyterians of southern Idaho in 1884 and opened with 19 students in 1891, this is Idaho's oldest college. William Judson Boone, the founder, remained president 45 years. From a modest beginning with a faculty of 8 (including two . . . — Map (db m26193) HM
Idaho (Canyon County), Givens Hot Springs — 358 — Givens Springs
Natural hot water available here has been a popular attraction for thousands of years. A winter village site for about 5000 years, these hot springs had large pit houses typical of plateau communities northwest of here from 4,300 to about . . . — Map (db m47336) HM
Idaho (Canyon County), Middleton — 75 — The Ward Massacre
Only 2 young boys survived the Indian attack on Alexander Ward's 20 member party, Oregon bound on August 20, 1854. Military retaliation for the slaughter so enraged the Indians that Hudson's Bay Co. posts Fort Boise and Fort Hall had to be . . . — Map (db m22328) HM
Idaho (Canyon County), Notus — 361 — Lower Boise
Confederate refugees from Missouri started farming in this area in 1863 and 1864, when gold and silver mining camps created a great demand for flour and cattle. Driven out from their Missouri River homes below Kansas City by extremely bitter Civil . . . — Map (db m21988) HM
Idaho (Canyon County), Parma — 78 — Marie Dorion
An Iowa Indian who came through here with Wilson Price Hunt's fur trappers in 1811, Marie Dorion spent an incredible winter in this region in 1814. She and her two infant children were sole survivors of a mid-January Bannock Indian clash at John . . . — Map (db m21995) HM
Idaho (Canyon County), Parma — 85 — Old Fort Boise
An important Hudson's Bay Company fur trade post was established in 1834 four miles west of here on the bank of the Snake River. Fur trading declined, but this British post became famous for its hospitality to American travellers on the Oregon . . . — Map (db m21992) HM
Idaho (Cassia County), Albion — 306 — Diamondfield Jack
J.L. Davis... Diamondfield Jack... spent most of 6 years in the Cassia County jail while the courts and pardon board were trying to figure out what to do with him. By far the best known of the gunmen who fought in Idaho's sheep and cattle wars, he . . . — Map (db m31639) HM
Idaho (Cassia County), Burley — 208 — Milner Dam
When completed in 1904, Milner Dam raised Snake River 38 feet to divert water into major north and south side canals. A gravity system unmatched in size in national reclamation development, this project irrigates 360,000 acres of land. Twin Falls, . . . — Map (db m31636) HM
Idaho (Cassia County), Burley — 28 — Starrh's Ferry
In 1880, George Starrh, a Snake River placer miner, started a ferry across Snake River one mile north of here. From 1880-2, freighters hauling supplies for a mining rush to Wood River used Starrh's ferry (powered by river current when stiff winds . . . — Map (db m31635) HM
Idaho (Cassia County), Malta — 169 — Hudspeth's Cutoff
This shortcut to the California goldfields, followed by most of the 49'ers, came out of the hills to the east and joined the old California trail just about here. Opened by "Messrs. Hudspeth & Myers, of the Jackson County, Missouri, Company," who . . . — Map (db m31638) HM
Idaho (Cassia County), Oakley — 344 — City of Rocks
A vast display of towering granite rocks (16 miles southeast of here) attracted emigrants who were on their way to California. A gold rush visitor, July 14, 1849, reported that "you can imagine among these massive piles, church domes, spires, . . . — Map (db m31637) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Challis — 303 — Michel Bourdon
This Valley was discovered in 1822 by an expedition of Hudson's Bay Company trappers led by Michel Bourdon. Bourdon had come to the Northwest with David Thompson, who had started the Idaho fur trade in 1808-9. Trappers searched everywhere for . . . — Map (db m59949) HM
Idaho (Elmore County), Glenns Ferry — 198 — Oregon Trail
A perilous ford at Three Island State Park was a formidable Oregon Trail barrier. Those who could not cross here faced a longer, more difficult southern route. No other ford between Missouri and Oregon troubled them so much. This was their largest . . . — Map (db m31677) HM
Idaho (Elmore County), Mountain Home — 195 — Rattlesnake Station
At the junction of the Rocky Bar Road with the Oregon Trail, this was a major stage line stop for 20 years. Stage service commenced in 1864, and a road to the Rocky Bar mines was opened 2 months later. In 1878 the station owners thought it . . . — Map (db m70449) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Ashton — 391 — Caldera Lookout
High on Island Park Caldera's west rim, a 72-foot forest service lookout tower affords an excellent view of this large volcanic feature. No other steel tower has been preserved in this part of Idaho. When it was erected in 1936, lookouts . . . — Map (db m72955) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Macks Inn — 452 — Pierre J. DeSmetJesuit leader
Roman Catholic Missionary services began in Idaho on Sunday July 10, 1840 in Teton Valley, followed by a mass held near here at Henry's Lake, July 23. Pierre J. DeSmet a Belgian Jesuit leader accompanied a Pend Oreille - Flathead band on their . . . — Map (db m31214) HM
Idaho (Gem County), Emmett — 377 — Black Canyon Dam
Constructed in 1924, this $1,500,000 concrete gravity dam has a 1,039 foot crest and a 183 foot structural height. A 29 mile canal, along with lesser ditches, serves 58,250 acres of Boise and Payette valley farms. A power plant at Black Canyon . . . — Map (db m23237) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Bliss — 300 — Fossil Beds
Fossil bones of zebras, beaver, otter, pelicans and other water birds are found in sediments left from a 3,400,000 year old pond on the bluff across the river. Lava flows, pouring out over the plains on this side, met and dammed up sedimentary . . . — Map (db m31598) HM
Idaho (Idaho County), Grangeville — 294 — Nez Perce War
Near the base of this hill, over 100 cavalrymen and volunteers met disaster in the opening battle of The Nez Perce War. Rushing from Grangeville on the evening of June 16, 1877, Captain David Perry planned to stop the Indians from crossing Salmon . . . — Map (db m4643) HM
Idaho (Idaho County), Lolo Summit — 247 — Lolo Summit
The Lewis and Clark party crossed this pass Sept. 13, 1805, westbound for the Pacific after a long detour to the south. From the headwaters of the Missouri they had crossed the mountains to the Salmon. Finding that river impassable, they traded . . . — Map (db m27120) HM
Idaho (Jerome County), Hunt — 340 — Hunt (Camp)Minidoka Internment National Monument — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
Excluded from their west coast homes by military authorities, more than 9000 Japanese Americans occupied Hunt Relocation Camp 4 miles north of here between 1942 & 1945. Until they could resettle in other places, they live in wartime tarpaper . . . — Map (db m61972) WM
Idaho (Jerome County), Hunt — 276 — Prehistoric Hunters
Bone fragments of extinct species of ground sloth, horse, camel, and elephant found in a nearby cave mingle with weapons and radiocarbon dates from Idaho’s earliest hunters.

Archaeologists have confirmed that people camped here at least 10,000 . . . — Map (db m62963) HM

Idaho (Jerome County), Twin Falls — 326 — Emigrant Road
More than a century ago, fur trappers and emigrants followed an old Indian trail that crossed here on its way to Oregon. Hudson's Bay Company traders preferred this route between Fort Hall and Fort Boise, but early emigrant wagons had to . . . — Map (db m31500) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Cataldo — 144 — Old Mission of the Sacred Heart
Opened for services in 1853, this is the oldest building in Idaho. Black-robed Jesuits founded the mission on the St. Joe River in 1842, but moved here in 1846 and raised this imposing building in a complete wilderness. Dwellings and . . . — Map (db m80912) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Carmen — 241 — Fort Bonneville
In a grove of cottonwoods across the river, Capt. B.L.E. Bonneville established a winter fur trade post. Sept. 26, 1832. His fort, described by a rival trapper as "a miserable establishment" - - -"consisted of several log cabins, low, badly . . . — Map (db m59848) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Gibbonsville — 269 — Lewis and Clark
On their way north searching for a route over Idaho's mountain barrier, Lewis and Clark left this canyon and ascended a high ridge to reach Bitterroot Valley, September 3-4, 1805. No Indian trail came this way, but Tobe, their experienced Shoshoni . . . — Map (db m59798) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), North Fork — 122 — Lewis and ClarkHoping for an Easy River Trip to the Pacific
Clark explored the first few miles of the rugged canyon of the Salmon below here late in August 1805. His small advance party camped here with poor but friendly Indians. Clark reported that the Salmon "is almost one continued rapid," and that . . . — Map (db m59847) HM
Idaho (Madison County), Rexburg — 404 — Brigham Young University - Idaho
Brigham Young University - Idaho had its beginning in 1888 as an academy affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Initially known as Bannock Stake Academy. It was renamed Fremont Stake Academy, Smith Academy, and Ricks . . . — Map (db m35477) HM
Idaho (Oneida County), Keogh — 317 — Lake Bonneville
20,000 years ago, this land was under water. Not far to the north, you can see the old shore of Lake Bonneville. Formed in a basin from which no river reached the ocean, this became the largest lake in North America. Finally the lake rose high . . . — Map (db m32888) HM
Idaho (Owyhee County), Marsing — 283 — Froman's Ferry
In 1888 George Froman built a ferry about a mile downstream from here. It operated until a bridge was built here in 1921. The ferry barge was connected by ropes to a pulley which slid along a cable spanning the river. By angling the barge into . . . — Map (db m26192) HM
Idaho (Owyhee County), Melba — 194 — Steamer "Shoshone"
The boat was built in 1866 to provide easy river travel for a part of the route from the Columbia to Boise and Silver City. It was intended to ply 105 miles between here and Old's Ferry. Once it even explored the river for 60 miles above here, . . . — Map (db m32175) HM
Idaho (Payette County), Fruitland — 336 — Salmon Festival
Long before fur hunters explored here in 1811, an annual Indian salmon festival was held each July in this area. Indian peoples came great distances to trade, celebrate, and arrange intertribal marriages. Cheyenne and Arapaho bands brought . . . — Map (db m23197) HM
Idaho (Payette County), Fruitland — 263 — Snake River
The valley of the Snake, historic passage from the Midwest to the Northwest, has been a primary route for travel since the days of Indians and fur traders. The Oregon Trail forded the river at Old Fort Boise, the Hudson's Bay Company 12 miles . . . — Map (db m23195) HM
Idaho (Shoshone County), Mullan — 421 — Lead-Silver Mines
In more than a century after rich lodes were discovered in 1884, this valley has become North and South America’s largest producer of silver. More than 5 billion dollars worth of lead, silver, and zinc—including more than a billion ounces . . . — Map (db m91487) HM
Idaho (Shoshone County), Mullan — 373 — Willow Creek Slide
A spectacular avalanche, Feb. 10, 1903, swept away part of a trestle—300 feet high—that let Northern Pacific Railway trains descend from this pass since 1890. An engine that plunged 80 feet was buried in 30 feet of snow; a passenger . . . — Map (db m91447) HM
Idaho (Shoshone County), Wallace — 367 — Wallace
Founded as a mining town in 1884, Wallace became a railroad center in 1887 and the Shoshone County seat in 1898. Rebuilt after a disastrous fire in 1890, Wallace has preserved its pioneer mining heritage. North Idaho's 2,000,000-acre forest . . . — Map (db m27170) HM
Idaho (Twin Falls County), Hagerman — 330 — Fishing Falls
When John C. Fremont came this way mapping emigrant roads in 1843, he found an important Indian village at Fishing Falls (Kanaka rapids) about 4 miles above here. He reported that native salmon spearers there were "unusually gay...fond of laughter; . . . — Map (db m31652) HM
Idaho (Twin Falls County), Hagerman — 206 — Payne's Ferry
A scow powered by oarsmen let Oregon Trail wagons cross Snake River here from 1852 to 1870. Then Overland Stage service from Boise to a rail terminal in Kelton, Utah was moved to this crossing, and M.E. Payne installed a large (14 by 60 foot) new . . . — Map (db m31653) HM
Idaho (Twin Falls County), Hagerman — 204 — Salmon Falls
In 1812, Joseph Miller found 100 lodges of Indians spearing thousands of salmon each afternoon at a cascade below here. Each summer they dried a year's supply. After 1842, they also traded salmon to Oregon Trail emigrants. John C. Fremont marveled . . . — Map (db m31597) HM
Idaho (Twin Falls County), Hagerman — 166 — Thousand Springs
Old lava flow changed the geologic structure of this area and thus created a multitude of famous springs here. Over thousands of years, volcanic activity repeatedly spread lava over the Snake River plain, slowly forcing the river southward in a . . . — Map (db m31595) HM
Idaho (Twin Falls County), Hansen — 393 — Hansen Bridge
Until 1919, when a high suspension bridge was completed here, this 16-mile long river gorge could be crossed only in a rowboat. With 14 cables, each more than 900 feet long, a $100,000 suspension bridge was wide enough to accommodate two lanes of . . . — Map (db m62131) HM
Idaho (Twin Falls County), Hansen — 342 — Rock Creek Station
An 1864 overland stage station at Rock Creek, 5 miles south and a mile west of here, offered a desert oasis for 40 years before irrigated farming transformed this area. James Bascom's 1865 store and Herman Stricker's 1900 mansion have been . . . — Map (db m31521) HM
Idaho (Twin Falls County), Murtaugh — 284 — Caldron Linn
In 1811 the Hunt party likened the terrific torrent of the Snake River three miles east of here to a boiling caldron, adding the the old Scottish word "linn," meaning a waterfall. They had lost a man and a canoe in a roaring chute upstream. . . . — Map (db m31523) HM
Idaho (Twin Falls County), Twin Falls — 411 — College of Southern Idaho
In 1964, Twin Falls County voters established a community college, and Jerome County soon voted to join their college district. Started in 1965 as part of a state and national effort to expand local educational opportunity, College of Southern . . . — Map (db m31519) HM
Idaho (Twin Falls County), Twin Falls — 172 — Shoshone Falls
4 miles east of here, the Snake River falls in thunder 210 feet over a rocky ledge higher than famous Niagara. Indians, trappers, and travellers all knew the "Great Shoshonie." Now the waters upstream have been harnessed for irrigation and power, . . . — Map (db m31520) HM
Idaho (Valley County), Cascade — 155 — Long Valley Ambush
While hunting stolen horses on Aug. 20, 1878, WM. Monday, Jake Groseclose, Tom Healy, & "Three Finger" Smith were ambushed in a rocky basin 9/10 mile by road from here. Monday and Groseclose were killed immediately, and Healy wounded; Smith, . . . — Map (db m23231) HM
Idaho (Valley County), Smiths Ferry — 496 — Splash Dams
Prior to the arrival of the railroad in 1912, the North Fork of the Payette River provided an avenue for logs destined to downstream mills in Horseshoe Bend and Emmett. In 1903, $100,000 was spent to dynamite open a clear channel in the river. . . . — Map (db m23233) HM
Idaho (Washington County), Cambridge — 185 — Brownlee Ferry
Guiding Oregon Trail emigrants and a party of prospectors who had discovered gold in Boise Basin, Tim Goodale opened a new miners' trail through here in August 1862. A gold rush followed that fall, and John Brownlee operated a ferry here from . . . — Map (db m23227) HM
Idaho (Washington County), Cambridge — 378 — Seven Devils Mines
More than a century ago, miners faced a hopeless problem of hauling copper ore to this canyon for shipment to smelters. They started with Albert Kleinschmidt's road grade down from their mine, more than a vertical mile above Snake River, and more . . . — Map (db m23228) HM
Idaho (Washington County), Weiser — 487 — 11,000 Years of Indian Occupation
The Weiser Valley provided an abundant environment for early hunters and food gatherers. Archaeological excavation along Monroe Creek in conjunction with US-95 realignment yielded one of the most significant prehistoric sites in the region. Spear . . . — Map (db m23220) HM

85 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement