Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Nebraska State Historical Society Historical Markers

Markers of the Nebraska state historical markers program administered by the Nebraska State Historical Society.
 
Naval Ammunition Depot Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, September 23, 2014
Naval Ammunition Depot Marker
Nebraska (Adams County), Hastings — 366 — Naval Ammunition Depot
The U.S. Naval Ammunition Depot, known locally as "the NAD," was the largest of the navy's World War II inland munitions depots, occupying almost 49,000 acres of Adams and Clay County farmland. Construction began in July 1942; loading, assembly, and . . . — Map (db m78005) HM
Nebraska (Antelope County), Orchard — 296 — The Prairie States Forestry Project
The Prairie States Forestry Project was initiated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1935 to combat the severe wind-caused soil erosion of the Dust Bowl days. From 1935 through 1942, the U.S. Forest Service, working with the Works Progress . . . — Map (db m9633) HM
Nebraska (Box Butte County), Heminford — 146 — Box Butte Country
A flat-topped hill to the southeast was named Box Butte by early cowboys and travelers. This area is part of the Box Butte Tableland, semi-arid short grass country that stretches far to the west. Box Butte has given its name to the creek that flows . . . — Map (db m89342) HM
Nebraska (Boyd County), Naper — 453 — Lost Airmen of World War II
On August 3, 1944, a C-47 transport carrying twenty-eight men of the U.S. Army Air Forces crashed in a ravine six miles southwest of Naper during a severe storm. There were no survivors. It was the largest single military air disaster in Nebraska . . . — Map (db m70623) HM
Nebraska (Brown County), Ainsworth — 380 — Ainsworth Army Air Field
Ainsworth Army Air Field, completed on November 30, 1942, was a satellite of Rapid City Army Air Field and under command of the Second Air Force. The field was one of eleven Army Air Force training bases built in Nebraska during World War II. The . . . — Map (db m77760) HM
Nebraska (Brown County), Johnstown — 236 — Lakeland Sod High School
Lakeland High School was constructed 20 miles south of this site by ranchers from several rural school districts during the summer of 1934. School began that September with 11 students. Constructed of prairie sod, with a sod roof supported by pole . . . — Map (db m9623) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Elm Creek — 91 — Historic Platte Valley
Through this valley passed the Oregon Trail, highway for early explorers, fur traders, California-bound gold seekers, freighters, and brave pioneers seeking new homes in the West. Traffic was especially heavy from 1843 to 1866. At times as many as . . . — Map (db m45521) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Gibbon — 201 — Gibbon

Gibbon, near here, was the site of a unique experiment in homestead colonization. The Soldiers' Free Homestead Temperance Colony was responsible for bringing the earliest settlers, mostly Union veterans, to this locality. Traveling via the . . . — Map (db m79716) HM

Nebraska (Buffalo County), Gibbon — 115 — Gibbon1871 - 1971

Gibbon, on the old Mormon Trail, was the site of a unique experiment in homestead colonization. Originally conceived as a financial venture by Colonel John Thorp of Ohio, the Soldier's Free Homestead Colony was responsible for bringing the . . . — Map (db m79880) HM

Nebraska (Buffalo County), Gibbon — 359 — Nebraska Centre - Boyd Ranche
James E. Boyd settled near here in 1858 and by 1860 operated a trail ranche supplying travelers on the Platte Valley Overland Route (Mormon Trail). The ranche included 2200 acres of corn and barley. Nebraska Centre Post Office was here until it was . . . — Map (db m45425) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — 488 — Buffalo County’s Lincoln Highway Seedling Mile
The Lincoln Highway Association was founded in 1913 to promote a transcontinental automobile route from new York City to San Francisco. Dedicated on October 31, 1913, the route was marked by the letter “L” within red, white, and blue . . . — Map (db m45520) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — 153 — Historic Kearney
In 1847 Brigham Young led the first migration over the Mormon Trail along the north bank of the Platte River, and in 1866 the Union Pacific Railroad pushed its main line westward to this valley, bringing pioneer settlers. However, it was not until . . . — Map (db m45427) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — 148 — Kearney Cotton Mill
In the late 1880's, Kearney business leaders envisioned the city as a major manufacturing center. The Kearney Cotton Mill was among the many enterprises launched as part of this venture, which included paper, woolen, and oatmeal mills; plow and . . . — Map (db m101852) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — 364 — The Great Platte River Road
The trail which followed the south side of the Platte River was the main route to Oregon and California. Fur traders going to the Rocky Mountains took the first wagons over the trail in 1830. Oregon-bound missionaries followed in the mid-1830s, and . . . — Map (db m53268) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — 178 — The Watson Ranch
In 1888, H. D. Watson established the historic Watson Ranch, at one time containing 8,000 acres, reaching from the fertile Platte Valley on the south to the rolling hills on the north and from downtown Kearney to a point five miles west. . . . — Map (db m101853) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Kearney — 125 — University of Nebraska at Kearney
In 1903 the legislature appropriated $50,000 to establish a state normal school in central or western Nebraska. After 111 ballots, the State Board of Education chose Kearney as the site. The city donated twenty acres on the west edge of town for a . . . — Map (db m45500) HM
Nebraska (Buffalo County), Shelton — 407 — Joseph E. Johnson and the Huntsman’s Echo
In April 1860 Joseph E. Johnson, a Mormon, established a road ranche at Wood River Center, today’s Shelton, and began publishing The Huntsman’s Echo, the first newspaper in Nebraska west of Omaha. He had earlier edited papers in Council Bluffs, . . . — Map (db m45423) HM
Nebraska (Butler County), David City — 252 — Shinn's Ferry
Moses Shinn and his son Dick began operating Shinn's Ferry across the Platte in 1859. The original site was near Savannah, the first Butler County seat, and a short distance from the present Schuyler bridge. Just above this location the Platte was . . . — Map (db m39143) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Elmwood — 41 — Bess Streeter Aldrich, 1881-1954
"Love is more like a light that you carry .... that is what love is to a woman - a lantern in her hand," says Abbie Deal the courageous heroine in Bess Streeter Aldrich's novel about the pioneers who with dreams and hard work forged this great State . . . — Map (db m82510) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Plattsmouth — 242 — Company A – First Nebraska Volunteer Infantry1861-1866
When the outbreak of war between the states became imminent in the spring of 1861, the citizens of Plattsmouth were quick to respond to the impending crisis. Without waiting for President Lincoln's call for volunteers, Dr. Robert R. Livingston . . . — Map (db m78024) HM
Nebraska (Cass County), Weeping Water — 118 — Weeping Water Academy
This building was constructed by community effort in 1871 of native limestone as the Congregational Church and served in that capacity until a new brick church was constructed 1887-1890. The nearby stone parsonage, first occupied in 1867, was sold . . . — Map (db m82521) HM
Nebraska (Cedar County), Crofton — 167 — Historic Missouri Valley
During their exploration of the Missouri and Columbia Rivers, Lewis and Clark held councils with Ponca, Omaha, and Sioux Indians inhabiting this region. The council with the Sioux occurred August 28-31, 1804 at Calumet Bluff now the southern . . . — Map (db m101395) HM
Nebraska (Cedar County), Crofton — 168 — Scenic Missouri Valley
This scenic overlook provides a clear view of the valley of the Missouri River, the longest waterway in North America. To the west is the Gavins Point Dam and the Lewis and Clark Recreation Area. The dam was built to harness the fury of the . . . — Map (db m101391) HM
Nebraska (Chase County), Champion — 43 — Champion Water-powered Mill
Champion, on the Frenchman River (Creek), is the site of probably the oldest functioning water-powered mill in Nebraska. Preliminary construction on the mill was begun in the fall of 1886. The work was completed and the mill placed in operation by . . . — Map (db m79376) HM
Nebraska (Cherry County), Bayonne — 4 — Opening the Sandhills
The first ranch in this area was set up on the Niobrara River about five miles south of here in 1877. E. S. Newman established his ranch to sell cattle to the government for delivery to the Indians at the Pine Ridge Agency to the north. The . . . — Map (db m9622) HM
Nebraska (Cherry County), Valentine — Bryan Bridge
This arched cantilever truss bridge, connected in the center with a single pin, is the only one of its kind in the United States. It was built in 1932 by the Department of Public Works and named by the local citizenry in honor of Governor Charles . . . — Map (db m70625) HM
Nebraska (Cherry County), Valentine — 87 — Fort Niobrara
When a Sioux Indian reservation was established north of here in Dakota Territory in 1878, early settlers in the region grew fearful of attack. They requested military protection, and in 1880 Fort Niobrara was built a few miles east of present-day . . . — Map (db m77753) HM
Nebraska (Cherry County), Wood Lake — 483 — Midair Collision of P-47 "Thunderbolt" Fighter Planes, 1944
At 10:45 a.m. on February 5, 1944, 1st Lt. John B. Beatty of Sandusky, OH, and 2d Lt. Earnest W. Fanslau of Mantua, NJ took to the air from the Ainsworth Army Air Field in two P-47 "Thunderbolt" fighter planes for an instrument training flight. Lt. . . . — Map (db m77754) HM
Nebraska (Cheyenne County), Sidney — 16 — Fort Sidney
Sidney Barracks, when established in 1867, was a temporary camp with one permanent structure, a blockhouse located to the north. In 1869 the Fort was relocated at this site and in 1870 the name was officially changed to Fort Sidney. The primary . . . — Map (db m76864) HM
Nebraska (Cheyenne County), Sidney — 362 — Sioux Army Depot
Sioux Army Depot was established on 23 March 1942 as Sioux Ordnance Depot. It was the only U.S. Army Ammunition Depot in Nebraska during World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. The depot was initially under the command of the U.S. Army . . . — Map (db m76863) HM
Nebraska (Clay County), Sutton — 49 — Sutton
The first permanent settler in the town of Sutton was Luther French, who arrived in 1870. He and his seven children lived near here in a dugout on the bank of School Creek. This dugout had a tunnel to the creek bank and the inside entrance could be . . . — Map (db m78007) HM
Nebraska (Clay County), Sutton — 422 — The Soldier's Monument
On March 27, 1879, George G. Meade Post 19, Grand Army of the Republic, Department of Nebraska, was founded in Sutton by twenty former Union soldiers. The G.A.R. was a national fraternal organization created to provide for the welfare of Union . . . — Map (db m78006) HM WM
Nebraska (Custer County), Broken Bow — 45 — Broken Bow
A discarded Indian bow suggested the name for a town. Wilson Hewitt, an early homesteader, had applied for the location of a post office on his place. Approving the location, the government rejected Hewitt's first three suggested names as being too . . . — Map (db m77816) HM
Nebraska (Custer County), Broken Bow — 59 — The Nebraska State Grange
The National Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry was organized in Washington, D.C. in 1867. During the 1870's, it was the major voice of the American farmer and its social, educational, and fraternal activities brightened farm life. "Granger Laws", . . . — Map (db m77761) HM
Nebraska (Custer County), Westerville — 248 — 1880 Westerville 1980
Westerville, nestled in picturesque Clear Creek Valley, was the first town in Custer County. It was named for James H. Westervelt on whose land the townsite was platted August 11, 1880. The town became an important early trade center after pioneer . . . — Map (db m77819) HM
Nebraska (Dawes County), Chadron — 42 — Bordeaux Trading Post
From about 1846 until 1872, an Indian "trading house" occupied a site near here. Built by James Bordeaux, the trading station was once attacked and set afire by hostile Crow warriors. Fortunately, some friendly Sioux Indians came to the rescue and . . . — Map (db m4529) HM
Nebraska (Dawes County), Chadron — 331 — The Chadron-Chicago Cowboy Race
America’s longest horse race began here June 13, 1893. The 1,000 mile race ended June 27 in Chicago at Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show. The race apparently was the idea of Chadron jokester John G. Maher. Seven of nine riders finished, some traveling . . . — Map (db m51693) HM
Nebraska (Dawes County), Chadron — 304 — The Fort Pierre-Fort Laramie Trail
From about 1837 until 1850, more than a quarter million buffalo robes bought from Indians and 27 tons of fur company trade goods were hauled over the 300 mile long Fort Pierre-Fort Laramie Trail that followed the White River through this area. First . . . — Map (db m4530) HM
Nebraska (Dawes County), Crawford — 227 — Crawford
Crawford sprang up as a tent city on land owned by homesteader/newspaper correspondent William E. Annin in 1886 when the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad pushed through the Nebraska Panhandle. To Incorporate the town, editor William . . . — Map (db m44254) HM
Nebraska (Dawes County), Fort Robinson State Park — 392 — Buffalo Soldiers at Fort Robinson
Black soldiers of the Ninth and Tenth Cavalry regiments (called "buffalo soldiers" by the Plains Indians) garrisoned Fort Robinson for eighteen years and played an important role in northwestern Nebraska's history. Organized in 1866, the regiments . . . — Map (db m4134) HM
Nebraska (Dawes County), Fort Robinson State Park — 102 — Fort Robinson
In March, 1874, the U.S. Government authorized the establishment of a military camp at the Red Cloud Indian Agency on the White River. Home of some 13,000 Indians, many of whom were hostile, the Agency was one of the most troublesome spots on the . . . — Map (db m4489) HM
Nebraska (Dawson County), Cozad — 182 — Central Platte Valley
Here in Dawson county, much of the early history is concerned with the pioneer trails to the west. The Mormon Trail to Utah and the first transcontinental railroad passed through here on the north side of the Platte River; the Oregon Trail and the . . . — Map (db m68060) HM
Nebraska (Dawson County), Cozad — 17 — The 100th Meridian
The 100th longitudinal line west of Greenwich was the major goal set by Congress in building the first transcontinental railroad. Construction of the Union Pacific track reached the Meridian on October 5, 1866. To celebrate this record-breaking . . . — Map (db m101791) HM
Nebraska (Dawson County), Gotenburg — 350 — Swedish Crosses Cemetery
One of the many Swedish settlements in Nebraska during the late nineteenth century was north of Gothenburg in northwestern Dawson County. An enduring symbol of this settlement is Swedish Crosses Cemetery, where three children of Mr. and Mrs. Berg . . . — Map (db m62797) HM
Nebraska (Dawson County), Overton — 221 — The Tobin Indian Raid
Railroads played an important role in the settlement of the Great Plains. Their construction was particularly damaging to the Indian way of life, since railroads helped the military to patrol rapidly along their lines, and villages and farming . . . — Map (db m101854) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — 114 — Big Springs
     The history of Big Springs, northeast of here, has been closely associated with the Union Pacific Railroad since 1867, when a station was established at that point. A nearby spring, from which the station derived its name, provided an . . . — Map (db m68069) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — 382 — Phelps Hotel
The Phelps Hotel was built in 1885 by the Edwin A. Phelps family, who were among the first settlers in the Big Springs area. Also known as the “House of Three Chimneys,” the hotel was the most important nineteenth-century landmark in . . . — Map (db m51249) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — 37 — Sam Bass and the Big Springs Robbery
The first and greatest robbery of a Union Pacific train took place near here on the night of September 18, 1877. The legendary Sam Bass and five companions, after capturing John Barnhart, station-master, and destroying the telegraph, forced Union . . . — Map (db m51231) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — 113 — The Great Platte River Road
     Since 1841, Nebraska's Platte River Valley has been the historic highway of westward migration. In this area, the Overland Trail divided into two branches, one which followed the north and the other the south forks of the river. Emigrants . . . — Map (db m68070) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — 383 — Waterman Sod House
The Wallace W. and Libby King Waterman sod house, located nine miles north of here on the Day Road, was built about 1886. The original dwelling had three rooms. In 1925 it was enlarged and remodeled by Virgil and Helen Burke Waterman, and the sod . . . — Map (db m51246) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Chappell — B-24J Bomber Crash
During World War II Nebraska was home to eleven air bases, which filled the sky with planes engaged in training aircrews. On June 7, 1944, fifteen B-24 bombers departed from the Lincoln Army Air Base en route to the west coast. During a thunderstorm . . . — Map (db m100094) HM WM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Chappell — Historic Lodgepole Creek Valley
Here is the valley of Lodgepole Creek through which passed historic trails, telegraph lines, and railroads. The famed Pony Express followed the valley in 1860-61. "Nine Mile" Pony Express station was located just southeast of present Chappell; "Pole . . . — Map (db m100093) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — 50 — The Bank of Florence
The Bank of Florence was chartered by the Nebraska Territorial legislature on January 18, 1856. It was located in this substantial building, constructed during the same year. Sheet steel one quarter inch thick, shipped by river steamboat from . . . — Map (db m90468) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — 81 — The Florence Mill
The Florence Mill, one of the earliest in Nebraska, was constructed by the Mormons at Winter Quarters during the winter of 1846-1847. Supplying both flour and lumber, the water-powered mill enabled the Mormons to cope more readily with the adverse . . . — Map (db m90460) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — 19 — Winter Quarters
Here in 1846 an oppressed people fleeing from a vengeful mob found a haven in the wilderness. Winter Quarters, established under the direction of the Mormon leader Brigham Young, sheltered more than 3,000 people during the winter of 1846-1847. . . . — Map (db m90527) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 447 — Buffalo Bill at the Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition and Indian Congress of 1898
William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody held the first official performance of his Wild West show just half a mile northeast of here on May 19, 1883. Eight thousand people attended the premiere at the Omaha Driving Park near Eighteenth and . . . — Map (db m33040) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 30 — Capitol Hill
This site on Capitol Hill was for a decade the location of Nebraska's second territorial capitol. The building was erected here in 1857 and 1858 and served until the seat of government was removed to Lincoln in 1868. Acting-Governor Cuming . . . — Map (db m33415) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 428 — Captain William Clark and Private Reuben Field
On July 27, 1804, Lewis and Clark's Corps of Discovery left their “White Catfish” camp and proceeded up the Missouri River. After traveling some distance, Clark “took one man R. Field and walked on Shore with a View of Examoning . . . — Map (db m32964) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 220 — Central High School
The first session of Omaha High School, now Central High School, was held on November 10, 1859, in Nebraska's territorial capitol on Ninth Street between Douglas and Farnam. Following the removal of the territorial government from Omaha, Nebraska's . . . — Map (db m33252) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 210 — Crook House
On April 27, 1875, General George A. Crook assumed command of the Department of the Platte, which then included Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, and part of Montana and Idaho. When the headquarters was shifted from downtown Omaha to Fort Omaha (Omaha . . . — Map (db m33113) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 226 — Father Flanagan's Boys' Home(The Original "Boys Town")
Boys Town was founded as a home and school for homeless, abandoned, neglected or otherwise underprivileged boys, regardless of color or creed, by Father Edward J. Flanagan (1886-1948) on December 10, 1917. The first Father Flanagan's Boy's Home at . . . — Map (db m53109) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 75 — Fort Omaha
A military post was first established here in 1868 and named Sherman Barracks after the famous Civil War general, William Tecumseh Sherman. The post's name was soon changed to Omaha Barracks and, in 1878, to Fort Omaha. In 1879, General George . . . — Map (db m33057) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 287 — Historic Prospect Hill -- Omaha's Pioneer Cemetery
Founded in 1858 by Byron Reed, early Omaha real estate developer and financier, Prospect Hill is the final resting place for over 15,000 citizens. While burial permit #1 was issued for Territorial Legislator Alonzo Salisbury on October 4, 1858, . . . — Map (db m53108) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 340 — Lewis and Clark CampsiteJuly 27, 1804
At the camp established very near here Captain Clark wrote about the "butifull Breeze from the N W. this evening which would have been verry agreeable, had the Misquiters been tolerably Pacifick, but thy were rageing all night." Clark may have . . . — Map (db m7886) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 310 — Malcolm “X”
El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz was born Malcolm Little at University Hospital in Omaha, Nebraska, May 19, 1925. He was the son of Earl and Louise Little, 3448 Pinkney Street. Reverend Little helped organize the Universal Negro Improvement Association. . . . — Map (db m33050) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 155 — Omaha
Buried here at Ak-Sar-Ben is Omaha, one of the immortals of the American turf. His sire Gallant Fox was the 1930 winner of the Triple Crown, and Omaha succeeded him to this title in 1935. To win the Triple Crown a three-year-old must win the . . . — Map (db m66486) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 406 — Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition of 1898
At this site in 1898, Omaha hosted the Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition. Following the model of other “world's fairs,” the exposition highlighted the “Progress of the West,” drawing over 2.5 million . . . — Map (db m33018) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 400 — Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition of 1898
In 1898, following the financial panic of 1893 and the droughts of 1894-95, a world-class exposition was held in Omaha under the guidance of Gurdon W. Wattles and other civic leaders. The Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition emulated . . . — Map (db m33044) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 404 — William Henry Jackson1843 - 1942
From 1867 to 1869 the first photography studio of William Henry Jackson, renowned photographer, artist, and explorer of the Old West, stood on the northwest corner of this block. His autobiography, Time Exposure, reports that in 1869 Omaha . . . — Map (db m35193) HM
Nebraska (Dundy County), Benkelman — 22 — General Custer in Nebraska
General George Armstrong Custer, commanding troops A, D, E, H, K, and M of the Seventh Cavalry, camped near here June 22, to 30, 1867, after a march from Fort McPherson, Nebraska. They were campaigning against the elusive Sioux and Cheyenne . . . — Map (db m79233) HM
Nebraska (Dundy County), Haigler — 126 — Texas Trail Canyon
After the slaughter of the buffalo and the last of the Indian hunts, ranchers moved into this part of the Republican River country in 1875. Among them were I.P and Ira Olive, who were using this canyon on their range in 1876. Herds of Texas cattle . . . — Map (db m79219) HM
Nebraska (Fillmore County), Exeter — 278 — 1879 Exeter 1979
The first settler in Exeter Township, Fillmore County was Warren Woodard, who built the first house in 1870. The Burlington and Missouri River Railroad, building westward, determined Exeter's location in 1871. The town was laid out by the railroad . . . — Map (db m78010) HM
Nebraska (Fillmore County), Fairmont — 381 — Fairmont Army Air Field
Fairmont Army Air Field, located 3 1/2 miles south, was one of eleven army air force training fields built in Nebraska during World War II. The 1,980-acre field provided final training for the 451st, 485th, 504th, and 16th Heavy Bombardment Groups . . . — Map (db m78009) HM
Nebraska (Fillmore County), Fairmont — 360 — Fairmont Army Air Field
Construction began on the Fairmont Army Air Field September 17, 1942. Located east of here, it was one of eleven built in Nebraska during World War II. The 1,980-acre field began as a satellite of the Topeka Army Air Base. Early in 1943 the name . . . — Map (db m82566) HM
Nebraska (Fillmore County), Fairmont — 309 — Fairmont Creamery Company
The Fairmont Creamery Company was incorporated March 29, 1884, as a stock company by Wallace Wheeler and Joseph H. Rushton. This building was the original office and the creamery was half a mile east of town. From a small, part-time business, the . . . — Map (db m78008) HM
Nebraska (Fillmore County), Ohiowa — 460 — The Ohiowa Auditorium
The Ohiowa Auditorium, completed in 1940 and preserved in near original condition, is one of several Nebraska buildings constructed by the Works Progress Administration during the Great Depression. The WPA, a federal government relief program, . . . — Map (db m82530) HM
Nebraska (Franklin County), Franklin — 329 — Franklin Academy
The Franklin Academy occupied this site from 1881 until 1922. It was one of six Congregational Church-affiliated academies in Nebraska. Others were located at Crete, York, Neligh, Weeping Water, and Chadron. Over 2,500 students in college . . . — Map (db m58998) HM
Nebraska (Franklin County), Franklin — 140 — Franklin County
Present Franklin County was formerly a part of the buffalo hunting range of the Pawnee Indians, whose villages were at one time located further down the valley of the Republican River. Cheyenne and Sioux hunting parties also frequented the area . . . — Map (db m59005) HM
Nebraska (Furnas County), Oxford — 39 — The Republican River Flood Of 1935
On May 30, 1935, torrential rains fell in eastern Colorado and southwestern Nebraska; by early morning of the 31st, the usually peaceful Republican River was running bluff-to-bluff along its upper reaches. When the waters subsided two days later, . . . — Map (db m48549) HM
Nebraska (Gage County), Barneston — 214 — The Oto and Missouri Agency
After 1854 the Oto and Missouri Indian village and agency were located near here. For many years the two tribes had been living along the lower portion of the Platte River, but when Nebraska became a territory they relinquished all claims to . . . — Map (db m78011) HM
Nebraska (Garden County), Lewellen — 15 — Ash Hollow
Ash Hollow was famous on the Oregon Trail. A branch of the trail ran northwestward from the Lower California Crossing of the South Platte River a few miles west of Brule, and descended here into the North Platte Valley. The hollow, named for a . . . — Map (db m2503) HM
Nebraska (Garden County), Lewellen — 160 — Ash Hollow Geology
Ash Hollow is a focal point for understanding the geologic history of the Central Great Plains prior to the onset of the Great Ice Age. It is the type locality of the Ash Hollow Formation, named by Henry Engelmann after a visit in 1858–1859. . . . — Map (db m2505) HM
Nebraska (Garden County), Lewellen — 403 — The Battle of Blue WaterNebraska Historical Marker
On September 3, 1855, the U.S. Army’s 600-man Sioux Expedition, commanded by Col William S. Harney, attacked and destroyed a Lakota village located three miles north on Blue Creek. The fight became known as the Battle of Blue Water, sometimes the . . . — Map (db m51218) HM
Nebraska (Garden County), Lewellen — 130 — Windlass Hill Pioneer Homestead
The stones surrounding this marker are the remains of the homestead dwelling of Reverend Dennis B. Clary, a pioneer Methodist Minister, who received final patent for his homestead Mar 22, 1899. Mr. Clary was born September 1st 1822, in Maryland and . . . — Map (db m2501) HM
Nebraska (Greeley County), Scotia — 144 — Chalk Mine
The fertile North Loup Valley provided food and construction materials for the early settlers of this region. When they came here in 1872 they were greeted by Jack Swearengen, a trapper, guide, and government scout. He lived near here in a dugout in . . . — Map (db m77914) HM
Nebraska (Hall County), Grand Island — 171 — Grand Island

You are near the Platte River's famous Grand Island. It is approximately forty miles in length and two miles at its widest. Providing abundant wood and water, it often served as a campsite for Pawnee Indians. Journalists for the expeditions of . . . — Map (db m79694) HM

Nebraska (Hall County), Grand Island — 480 — Hall County Courthouse
Designed by Omaha architect Thomas Rogers Kimball (1862-1934), the Hall County Courthouse is an exceptional example of Beaux-Arts classicism and borrows on Germanic design sources. Constructed of brick accented with limestone, the building features . . . — Map (db m53239) HM
Nebraska (Hall County), Grand Island — 55 — La Grande Isle
Grand Island, in the Platte River, has given its name to the city of Grand Island. The island was formed by a narrow channel branching off the Platte River approximately 28 miles upstream from the present city of Grand Island and rejoining the main . . . — Map (db m53258) HM
Nebraska (Hall County), Grand Island — 157 — Mormon Trail
Religious freedom, An American ideal, has on occasion been denied certain sects because of prejudice. Mormons were once persecuted and forced from their homes. The north bank of the Platte River served as the exodus route for thousands of members of . . . — Map (db m45171) HM
Nebraska (Hall County), Grand Island — 490 — Old Dodge SchoolWorld War II POW Branch Camp
Old Dodge School served as one of two branch camps in Hall County housing German prisoners of war. On July 9, 1944, Leo B. Stuhr, president of the county Non-Stock Labor Association, announced plans to use the school for this purpose. About one . . . — Map (db m53254) HM
Nebraska (Hall County), Grand Island — 141 — Pioneer Park
Pioneer Park, site of the first Hall County courthouse, honors the courageous settlers who peacefully inhabited this area in 1857 when only Pawnee lived here. In 1866 the Union Pacific reached Grad Island and in 1868 the railroad donated Block 19 . . . — Map (db m45189) HM
Nebraska (Hall County), Grand Island — 255 — The Lincoln Memorial Highway
The Lincoln Highway association, formed in 1913 to build a New York to San Francisco highway, sold “highway memberships” to raise funds for the project. In Nebraska the road, which traversed twelve states, extended westward from Iowa . . . — Map (db m45203) HM
Nebraska (Hall County), Grand Island — 482 — The Seedling Mile
Here is a section of an original Seedling Mile on the Lincoln Highway. It was completed November 3, 1915. Grand Island was the second city in the United States to build such an example of concrete roadway. The original Seedling Mile extended from . . . — Map (db m53234) HM
Nebraska (Hall County), Wood River — 336 — Original Townsite of Wood River
Between 1844 and 1866 thousands of emigrants, gold seekers, and Mormons moved west through the Platte Valley. The first settlers along Wood River 1858-60 operated road ranches to serve travelers. They included Patrick, Richard, and Anthony Moore; . . . — Map (db m45282) HM
Nebraska (Hamilton County), Aurora — The Hamilton County Courthouse

This building is Hamilton County's third courthouse. The first was built in Orville City, the original county seat, in 1870. After five elections, Aurora was chosen as county seat in 1876. To assure the victory, the town constructed the second . . . — Map (db m79846) HM

Nebraska (Hitchcock County), Culbertson — 95 — CulbertsonFirst Hitchcock County Seat
Culbertson was the county seat of Hitchcock for twenty years, and this marks the site of the first court house, used 1886-1893. Founded as a trading post in July 1873 by W.Z. Taylor, it became the county seat when Hitchcock County was organized . . . — Map (db m79363) HM
Nebraska (Hitchcock County), Stratton — 352 — The Leavenworth and Pike’s Peak Express
In the spring of 1859, William H. Russell and John S. Jones established The Leavenworth and Pike’s Peak Express to carry passengers and freight from the Missouri River to the Colorado gold fields. The route crossed northern Kansas, detouring . . . — Map (db m79359) HM
Nebraska (Hitchcock County), Trenton — 8 — Massacre Canyon
The adjacent stone monument erected in 1930 was first placed about a mile south of this area. Originally on the highway overlooking the canyon, it was moved to this location after the highway was relocated.

Massacre Canyon is the large canyon . . . — Map (db m79361) HM

Nebraska (Holt County), Ewing — 76 — The Savidge Brothers, Aviation Pioneers
Near here was the scene of some of Nebraska’s earliest experiments with flight in a heavier-than-air vehicle. Sometime before late 1907, Martin P. Savidge’s sons set out to construct a flying machine. They began by studying hawks, then went . . . — Map (db m101688) HM
Nebraska (Holt County), O’Neill — 78 — O’Neill
One of the most colorful leaders in the early development of Nebraska was General John O'Neill, founder of O'Neill. After leading several ill-fated raids against British military posts in Canada 1866-1871, O'Neill lost his leading position in the . . . — Map (db m9632) HM
Nebraska (Howard County), St. Paul — 317 — Grover Cleveland Alexander
Grover Cleveland Alexander, the third winningest pitcher in major league baseball history, was born near Elba, Nebraska, on February 26, 1887. After pitching for local and minor league teams, Alexander signed with the Philadelphia Phillies. In 1911, . . . — Map (db m104682) HM
Nebraska (Johnson County), Tecumseh — 203 — TecumsehNebraska Historical Marker
Tecumseh, the county seat of Johnson County, was incorporated in 1856. It was first called Frances in honor of the wife of Colonel Richard M. Johnson, for whom the county is named. In 1857 the town was renamed for the famous Shawnee Indian chief, . . . — Map (db m48209) HM
Nebraska (Kearney County), Dobytown — 96 — Dobytown
Following the 1848 establishment of Fort Kearny two miles east of here and the later expansion of overland commerce and emigration, the small commercial center of Kearney City was established here in 1859. The town's more common name, Dobytown, . . . — Map (db m58979) HM
Nebraska (Kearney County), Kearney — 229 — Fort Kearny
The growth of overland emigration to Oregon after 1842 resulted in the establishment of military posts across the West to protect travelers. The first post, Fort Kearny, was established in the spring of 1848 “near the head of the Grand . . . — Map (db m43237) HM
Nebraska (Kearney County), Newark — 239 — The Burlington & Missouri River Railroad
The Burlington & Missouri River Railroad entered Nebraska at Plattsmouth in 1870 and built west to join the Union Pacific at Kearney Junction (now Kearney city) on September 3, 1872. The railroad bridge into Kearney was used for 104 years. It . . . — Map (db m58980) HM
Nebraska (Keith County), Brule — 313 — California HillNebraska Historical Marker
The large hill to the north, which became known as “California Hill,” was climbed by thousands of covered wagon emigrants heading west between 1841 and 1860. Many were bound for Oregon. California became the destination of the majority . . . — Map (db m51229) HM
Nebraska (Keith County), Ogallala — 98 — Ash HollowGateway to the Northern Platte Valley
Although some wagon trains continued to follow the South Platte, most crossed at one of several fords in this area and took a northwesterly route toward the North Platte River. The trail then followed the North Platte Valley through the remainder of . . . — Map (db m61967) HM
Nebraska (Keith County), Ogallala — 24 — Boot HillNebraska Historical Marker
Boot Hill was the final resting place for many early westerners who helped make Ogallala a booming cowtown in the 1870’s and 1880’s. These people, the cowboys, settlers, and drifters, came to Ogallala when the railroad and the Texas Trail opened a . . . — Map (db m51223) HM
Nebraska (Keith County), Ogallala — 99 — Court House Rock, Chimney Rock and Scott’s Bluffs
Traveling northwest from Ash Hollow, the emigrants encountered three natural features of the North Platte Valley which became well-known milestones. First was Court House Rock, rising abruptly from the plains as the vanguard of the bluffs farther . . . — Map (db m61968) HM
Nebraska (Keith County), Ogallala — 5 — Cowboy CapitalNebraska Historical Marker
Named for the Oglala band of Dakota Sioux and located on the Union Pacific Railroad, Ogallala was a lusty cowtown of the Old West. From 1875 to 1886 it was a wild and woolly cowboy capital where gold flowed across the gaming tables, liquor across . . . — Map (db m51222) HM
Nebraska (Keith County), Ogallala — 97 — Ogallala and the Platte Valley
This region holds much that is significant to the history of the West. At this point, I-80 follows the route of the Overland Trail, along the South Platte River. Leaving the South Platte near here, the trail continued up the North Platte Valley, . . . — Map (db m61966) HM
Nebraska (Lancaster County), Lincoln — 105 — County - City BuildingLincoln, Lancaster County, Nebraska
On March 6, 1855, Lancaster County was created by act of the Territorial Legislature. Many early settlers came for land, while others were attracted by the commercial possibilities of the nearby Salt Basin. In 1859, a site east of the Salt Basin was . . . — Map (db m88549) HM
Nebraska (Lancaster County), Lincoln — 376 — Lincoln Army Air Field - Lincoln Air Force Base
Lincoln Army Air Field was constructed in 1942 on the former Lincoln Municipal Airport. The 2,750-acre property was leased to the army by the City of Lincoln. The base provided technical training for aircraft mechanics, basic training for army . . . — Map (db m66966) HM
Nebraska (Lancaster County), Lincoln — 254 — Lincoln's Founding Block
The Territorial Legislature at Omaha drew the boundaries of Lancaster County in 1855. Settlers first arrived in 1856 and a county government was established "on paper" in 1859. Methodist Elder John M. Young arrived at the head of a colony in . . . — Map (db m66883) HM
Nebraska (Lancaster County), Lincoln — 90 — Nebraska Statehood Memorial
From 1854 to 1867 the seat of territorial and state government was in Omaha. In 1867 the State Legislature appointed a Capital Commission to select a location for the new state capital. Commission members Governor David Butler, Auditor John . . . — Map (db m87800) HM
Nebraska (Lancaster County), Lincoln — 290 — Pershing Rifles
General John J. Pershing, commander of the American Expeditionary Forces to Europe in World War I, was Professor of Military Science at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln between September 1891 and June 1895. Upon his arrival in Lincoln, which was . . . — Map (db m54351) HM
Nebraska (Lancaster County), Lincoln — 253 — The Ferguson House
William Henry Ferguson, Lincoln businessman and investor built this house in 1909 - 11. It is one of the best examples of the Second Renaissance Revival style in Lincoln and perhaps in Nebraska. Architects were Searles, Hirsh, and Gavin of . . . — Map (db m87762) HM
Nebraska (Lancaster County), Lincoln — 436 — The Nebraska State Historical Society
In 1878 public-spirited citizens, led by former governor Robert W. Furnas, organized the Nebraska State Historical Society. The legislature designated the Society a state institution in 1883 and began providing financial support.

The Society's . . . — Map (db m47377) HM

Nebraska (Lancaster County), Lincoln — 441 — U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (Old City Hall)
In 1874 construction began on Lincoln's first U.S. Post Office and Courthouse on a block originally intended as a market square. The building was completed by 1879 at a cost of about. $200,000. Alfred B. Mullet, supervising architect of the U.S. . . . — Map (db m66884) HM
Nebraska (Lincoln County), Maxwell — 14 — Fort McPherson
The fort was established on the Oregon Trail on the south side of the Platte River in October 1863, on the eve of intensified Indian raids on the Plains. Built next to the well-known Cottonwood Springs and McDonald ranch, it commanded a . . . — Map (db m101821) HM
Nebraska (Lincoln County), North Platte — 232 — Scout's Rest
William Frederick Cody (1846-1917), known to the world a "Buffalo Bill," was the most noted Nebraskan of his day. The Many national and European tours of his various "Wild West" exhibitions made him the living symbol of the American West.

Cody . . . — Map (db m76753) HM

Nebraska (Lincoln County), Sutherland — 109 — Crossing the Overland Trail
      Beneath this platform, evidence of the great westward migration still remains. These shallow depressions were once deep ruts created by thousands of hooves, shoes and wheels. The Overland Trail is often visualized as a single well-defined . . . — Map (db m88677) HM
Nebraska (Loup County), Taylor — 375 — Harrop
In 1908 John Harrop, originally from Roca, Nebraska, filed a homestead claim just west of the Calamus River about thirteen miles north of Taylor in Loup County. Harrop acquired 640 acres under the Kinkaid Act of 1904, which had been passed to . . . — Map (db m77919) HM
Nebraska (Merrick County), Central City — 92 — Lone Tree
Lone Tree, a giant, solitary cottonwood, was a noted Platte River landmark as early as 1833. Standing on the north side of the river some three miles southwest of present Central City, the tree was visible at great distance. Several travelers . . . — Map (db m53229) HM
Nebraska (Merrick County), Central City — 6 — The Mormon Trail
For thousands of Mormons, the great pioneer trail along the north bank of the Platte which paralleled the river about a mile south of here was an avenue of escape from persecution and a roadway to a new life. Brigham Young led the first mass . . . — Map (db m53233) HM
Nebraska (Morrill County), Bayard — 152 — Chimney Rock
Rising 470 feet above the North Platte River Vally, Chimney Rock stands to the south as the most celebrated of all natural formations along the overland routes to California, Oregon, and Utah. Chimney Rock served as an early landmark for fur . . . — Map (db m25061) HM
Nebraska (Morrill County), Bridgeport — 418 — Bridgeport, Nebraska“Trail City, USA”
Bridgeport, founded in 1900 as a station by the Burlington Railroad, celebrated its centennial in 2000. The town is located on or near many historic trails of the West, including the Oregon, California Mormon, Pony Express, and Sidney-Black Hills . . . — Map (db m79389) HM
Nebraska (Morrill County), Bridgeport — 391 — Camp Clarke Bridge and Sidney-Black Hills Trail
Just north of here the Camp Clarke bridge crossed the North Platte River. The bridge was built in the spring of 1876 by entrepreneur Henry T. Clarke to improve the trail from the Union Pacific Railroad at Sidney, Nebraska, to the gold mining towns . . . — Map (db m79422) HM
Nebraska (Morrill County), Bridgeport — 371 — Courthouse and Jail Rocks
Courthouse and Jail Rocks are two of the most famous landmarks of western migration. Nearby passed the Oregon-California Trail, the Mormon Trail, the Pony Express Trail, and the Sidney-Deadwood Trail. The rocks were vanguards of unforgettable scenic . . . — Map (db m79391) HM
Nebraska (Morrill County), Lisco — 296 — Narcissa Whitman
Narcissa Whitman, trail-blazer and martyred missionary, is one of the great heroines of the frontier West. In 1836 she and Eliza Spalding, following the north side of the Platte on horseback, became the first white women to cross the American . . . — Map (db m39706) HM
Nebraska (Nemaha County), Auburn — Auburn Post Office Mural
During the 1930s, President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal created government programs to counter the effects of the Great Depression. Hundreds of post offices were built and the U.S. Treasury commissioned art for many of them. Twelve Nebraska . . . — Map (db m78462) HM
Nebraska (Nemaha County), Auburn — 58 — Half-Breed TractNebraska Historical Marker
It was an accepted custom for many early fur traders to marry into Indian tribes. As the Indians ceded their lands, the rights of the half-breed descendants were not always identified. This situation was recognized by the government in 1830, byt . . . — Map (db m48131) HM
Nebraska (Nemaha County), Peru — 80 — Peru State College
Peru State College, originally incorporated as Mount Vernon Seminary, became Nebraska's first state-supported college on June 20, 1867. The school was initially organized and largely financed by local residents, then offered to the Methodist . . . — Map (db m78461) HM
Nebraska (Nuckolls County), Nelson — 28 — 1864 Indian Raids
During the Civil War many regular troops were withdrawn from Plains military posts to fight in the east. The Sioux, Cheyenne and Arapaho, seizing this opportunity, attempted to drive white settlers from their lands. Beginning on August 7, 1864, . . . — Map (db m76706) HM
Nebraska (Nuckolls County), Ruskin — 330 — The Skirmish at Spring Creek
From April through October 1870 Company C of the second U.S. Cavalry garrisoned a temporary military post, Camp Bingham, located northeast of here on the Little Blue River, to protect nearby settlements from Indians.

On May 15 Sergeant Patrick . . . — Map (db m85665) WM

Nebraska (Otoe County), Nebraska City — 438 — Mother Church of Methodism in NebraskaThe First United Methodist Church of Nebraska City
After Nebraska Territory was organized in 1854, Dr. W. H. Goode came to establish Methodist missions. In 1855 Goode appointed Rev. William D. Gage to lead the Nebraska City Mission. Construction of a church began at this site in 1855. It was . . . — Map (db m66936) HM
Nebraska (Otoe County), Nebraska City — 468 — U.S. Air Force Atlas Missile Site
The Atlas-F ICBM (operational 1961-65) was an important component of national defense during the Cold War. Twelve Atlas sites, one located half a mile west, were manned by the 551st Strategic Missile Squadron, Lincoln Air Force Base. On November . . . — Map (db m54341) HM
Nebraska (Perkins County), Grant — 29 — Wild Horse Spring
Named for the beautiful, spirited wild horses so numerous in this area when white men first visited this lush plains, this Spring symbolized the hope and faith its discovery brought to the early pioneers. Though the rich land beckoned them, men . . . — Map (db m79379) HM
Nebraska (Perkins County), Madrid — 128 — The Texas Trail
After the Civil War, herds of Texas cattle were driven north to marketing points in eastern Nebraska, but settlement by homesteaders forced the trail farther west each year. Beginning in 1875, Union Pacific selected Ogallala as its main shipping . . . — Map (db m79377) HM
Nebraska (Pierce County), South Branch — 434 — The Meridian Highway: From Canada to Mexico
The Meridian Road was organized in 1911 by a group of "good roads" boosters. Proposed as a direct north-south automobile route through the central United States. Its name and derived from the Sixth Principal Meridian. In 1912 the route was largely . . . — Map (db m76707) HM
Nebraska (Platte County), Columbus — 424 — Andrew Jackson Higgins(1886-1952)
Andrew Jackson Higgins, designer and manufacturer of World War II landing craft known as "Higgins boats," was born August 28, 1886, at Columbus, Nebraska. His parents were John Gonegle Higgins, a prominent lawyer and judge, and Annie Long O'Connor . . . — Map (db m9775) HM
Nebraska (Platte County), Columbus — 100 — The North Brothers
The West produced many fighting men and ranking high among them are Frank and Luther North of Columbus, leaders of the legendary Pawnee Scouts. The Pawnee, located at their nearby reservation, were eager to cooperate with the Army in fighting their . . . — Map (db m53147) HM
Nebraska (Platte County), Columbus — 305 — The Villasur Expedition1720
In June 1720 a Spanish military force led by Sir Pedro de Villasur left Santa Fe, New Mexico, to gather information on French activities near the Missouri River. The force included 45 veteran soldiers, 60 Pueblo Indian allies, some Apache scouts, . . . — Map (db m53143) HM
Nebraska (Platte County), Duncan — 127 — Duncan1871 - 1971
The history of Duncan, Nebraska has been closely associated with overland routes through the Platte and Loup River valleys. The Mormon Trail passed nearby during the mid-19th Century and the first transcontinental railroad was completed to this . . . — Map (db m53194) HM
Nebraska (Platte County), Duncan — 462 — The Lincoln Highway - Gardiner Station Section
The Lincoln Highway Association was founded in 1913 to promote a coast-to-coast, toll- free automobile route. The Lincoln Highway, which followed existing roadways through thirteen states, was dedicated on October 31, 1913. The route was marked by . . . — Map (db m53206) HM
Nebraska (Polk County), Osceola — 57 — Osceola And The Early Pioneers
The early settlement of Polk County in 1867 brings us in close touch with the trail of the pioneer. Then from year to year, others came and settlement advanced. These early settlers came by covered wagon, many with ox team. The nearest railroad was . . . — Map (db m76945) HM
Nebraska (Red Willow County), McCook — 25 — George William Norris1861-1944
George W. Norris, whose home is on Norris Avenue, McCook, Nebraska, served forty years in the Congress of the United States. Born in Ohio, he worked his way through college, followed the footsteps of the pioneers westward, settling in Nebraska. He . . . — Map (db m79364) HM
Nebraska (Richardson County), Falls City — 79 — First Oil Well
The first publicized report of oil in Nebraska was an 1883 newspaper account of a "vein of petroleum" discovered in Richardson County. Over the next 57 years, the search for oil consumed thousands of dollars, and hundreds of wells were drilled . . . — Map (db m80107) HM
Nebraska (Saline County), DeWitt — 48 — Swan City
Near here was located the first town and county seat in Saline County. Situated on Swan Creek from which it took its name, Swan City held prominence for only a few years. The first settlement buildings, including a store and a sawmill, were . . . — Map (db m76751) HM
Nebraska (Saline County), Dorchester — 469 — PFC Charley Havlat
PFC Charley Havlat of Dorchester, Nebraska, was the last confirmed American combat fatality in the European Theater during World War II. He was born in rural Saline County, the oldest son of Anton and Antonia (Nemec) Havlat, Czech immigrants to . . . — Map (db m76758) HM WM
Nebraska (Saline County), Dorchester — 473 — Pleasant Hill
The village of Pleasant Hill once stood in the valley to the east. Founded in 1867, it became a thriving community with several businesses, including a general store, post office, sawmill, and gristmill. From 1871 to 1878 Pleasant Hill was the . . . — Map (db m76764) HM
Nebraska (Saline County), Tobias — 136 — Sergeant Leodegar Schnyder
Sergeant Leodegar Schnyder, who is buried in nearby Atlanta Center Cemetery, served in the U.S. Army for fifty-three years, longer than any other non-commissioned officer. Thirty-seven years were spent at the same frontier army post.

Born in . . . — Map (db m76754) HM

Nebraska (Saline County), Wilber — 35 — Czech Capital
Many nationalities blended in America and Nebraska to create our great nation and state. Prominent among them were the Czechs. They left a land which knew a great history and culture. The first university in Central Europe was established in . . . — Map (db m76756) HM
Nebraska (Sarpy County), Bellevue — 186 — Bellevue Log Cabin
This log cabin was built about 1835 in the Missouri River floodplains. Soon after 1835 cholera occurred at lower elevations, and the cabin was moved to the upper plateau. In about 1850 it was moved to this location, where it was used as a residence . . . — Map (db m80854) HM
Nebraska (Sarpy County), Bellevue — Oto Mission
In November 1833 Moses and Eliza Merrill, missionaries sponsored by the Baptist Missionary Union, arrived at the government Indian agency at Bellevue and opened a mission school for the Oto and Missouri Indians living in eastern Nebraska. The . . . — Map (db m78023) HM
Nebraska (Saunders County), Ashland — Platte River
Eastbound travelers will soon cross the Platte River, which has paralleled the Interstate across most of Nebraska. It has long been noted for its great width and shallow depth. The Platte is a major tributary of the Missouri River, which it flows . . . — Map (db m78022) HM
Nebraska (Saunders County), Ashland — 219 — The Ox-Bow Trail
This marker sits astride the Ox-Bow Trail, also known as the Old Fort Kearny or Nebraska City Road. Beginning in the 1840's, this route carried thousands of emigrants and millions of pounds of freight destined for the settlements, mining camps, or . . . — Map (db m80433) HM
Nebraska (Saunders County), Memphis — 409 — The Armour and Company Icehouse
The Armour and Company Icehouse was built in 1897-98 northwest of Memphis, Nebraska. It was one of the largest icehouses in the country, measuring approximately 180 feet wide, 700 feet long, and 52 feet high. A 300-horsepower steam engine and two . . . — Map (db m80432) HM
Nebraska (Saunders County), Wahoo — 82 — Saunders County
Saunders County was originally Oto Indian territory, and a large earthlodge village under Chief Itan was located here during the early historic period. Later, the Pawnee established villages in the area and in 1855 held peace conferences with . . . — Map (db m80430) HM
Nebraska (Scotts Bluff County), Mitchell — 190 — Fort Mitchell, 1864-1867
Mitchell Pass and the city of Mitchell, Nebraska, derive their names from a military post built near here during the Indian Wars. No trace of the sod structure remains at the site on the North Platte River bend northwest of Scott’s Bluff. It was . . . — Map (db m79426) HM
Nebraska (Scotts Bluff County), Morrill — 369 A & B — “The Great Smoke”The Horse Creek Treaty
Three panels make up this marker “The Great Smoke” From all directions they came in late summer 1851 - Plains Indian tribes, summoned by government officials so their chiefs could smoke the peace pipe and sign a . . . — Map (db m79439) HM
Nebraska (Scotts Bluff County), Scottsbluff — 21 — Rebecca Winters
          Rebecca Winters, daughter of Gideon Burdick, a drummer boy in Washington’s army, was born in New York State in 1802. She was a pioneer in the Church of Latter Day Saints, being baptized with her husband Hiram in June 1833.           . . . — Map (db m86666) HM
Nebraska (Seward County), Beaver Crossing — 363 — Beaver Crossing, Nebraska
The original site of Beaver Crossing was located about three miles to the northwest. Here a trail from Nebraska City to Fort Kearny crossed Beaver Creek. John Leonard and Daniel Millspaugh were the first settlers in this area in 1862. Roland Reed . . . — Map (db m76748) HM
Nebraska (Seward County), Beaver Crossing — 394 — The Beaver Crossing Mill
This millstone is believed to be from the gristmill built by William Smith in 1871 on the Big Blue River south of Beaver Crossing. W. J. Thompson took over the mill in 1873, and it continued to operate until about 1917. Gristmills were an . . . — Map (db m76747) HM
Nebraska (Seward County), Milford — 454 — Historic Milford
Founded by J. L Davison in 1864 near the limestone ford where the Nebraska City to Fort Kearny "Steam Wagon Road" crossed the Blue River, Milford is the oldest town in Seward County, serving as the first county seat until 1871. Milford was home to . . . — Map (db m76765) HM
Nebraska (Seward County), Milford — 179 — Tall Grass Prairie
This rest site is near the center of Nebraska's tall-grass prairie on the eastern edge of the hunting grounds once used by the Pawnee Indians. Nebraska's largest tribe, the Pawnee located villages on major area streams, including the Blue, Loup, and . . . — Map (db m92536) HM
Nebraska (Seward County), Milford — 180 — The Big Blue River
Except for the occasional Indian or white hunting parties, the scenic valley of the Big Blue River was seldom visited prior to 1860. The establishment of the Nebraska City-Fort Kearny Cutoff in 1861 brought through the region thousands of overland . . . — Map (db m78021) HM
Nebraska (Seward County), Seward — 421 — Plum Creek Prairie Historic Site
On January 2, 1863, Robert T. Gale filed the first homestead in Seward County, then “Greene County.” A surveyor, he chose an irregular tract along Plum Creek that provided shelter from the north winds and fresh spring water . . . — Map (db m101844) HM
Nebraska (Seward County), Seward — 221 — Seward, 4th of July City
Since 1868, Seward has, with but few interruptions, sponsored a yearly 4th of July celebration which has gained national attention. This square, the original site of the festival, is today its focal point. Special trains once brought revelers . . . — Map (db m101843) HM
Nebraska (Sioux County), Fort Robinson State Park — 86 — The Cheyenne Outbreak
On September 9, 1878, after a year of suffering on an Oklahoma reservation, some 300 Northern Cheyenne Indians began a trek back to their homeland. Dull Knife's band of 149 Indians were captured and taken to Fort Robinson. For months they refused to . . . — Map (db m9594) HM
Nebraska (Sioux County), Harrison — 260 — Coffee Siding
Large pioneer ranches were established in this region of Nebraska in the 1870's and early 1880's. Charles F. Coffee was one of these pioneers, with ranch headquarters on Hat Creek in Nebraska and Rawhide Creek in Wyoming. By June, 1886, the Fremont, . . . — Map (db m9584) HM
Nebraska (Sioux County), Harrison — 302 — Village of Harrison
A railroad camp named Summit (elev. 4876 ft.) was located on this site in 1884. When the Fremont, Elkhorn, and Missouri Valley Railroad reached here in 1886, an unincorporated townsite named Bowen was platted and designated the county seat of Sioux . . . — Map (db m9593) HM
Nebraska (Thayer County), Deshler — 315 — Friedensau
Located three miles north of this corner, near the Little Blue River, the village of Friedensau ("Peaceful Meadows") was established in 1874 by Lutheran missionary pastor John J. Kern. The town was first settled by his former parishioners from . . . — Map (db m85667) HM
Nebraska (Thayer County), Hebron — 433 — Thayer County

The boundaries of the future Thayer County were first defined in 1856, and the county was named Jefferson. In 1867 Jones County to the east was attached. The legislature in 1871 divided the single large county into two, naming the western . . . — Map (db m79885) HM

Nebraska (Thayer County), Hebron — 452 — The Hebron CCC And POW Camps

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was authorized by Congress in 1933 to provide employment and vocational training to young men during the Great Depression. The CCC worked on forestry and soil conservation projects across the nation. . . . — Map (db m79890) HM

Nebraska (Valley County), Arcadia — 298 — Arcadia Centennial 1885-1985
In 1873 the first settlers, George McKeller and Porter Brown, arrived near the Valley County site which would later become Arcadia. They were followed in 1874 by Samuel Hawthorne, his brother Boone and their families. Mrs. Hawthorne named the . . . — Map (db m77820) HM
Nebraska (Valley County), Arcadia — 442 — Arcadia Congregational Church
Three years after the town of Arcadia was platted in October 1885, the First Congregational Church was organized on November 25, 1888, the second church in town. Articles of incorporation were recorded on December 2, 1889, and the building, costing . . . — Map (db m77821) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Blair — 420 — Brewster Cemetery
Founded in 1870 by Israel Swihart, the cemetery was named for his wife, Mary Brewster Swihart. Those buried here include three civil war veterans, and several children who succumbed to the harsh conditions of life on the Great Plains. The cemetery . . . — Map (db m7817) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Blair — 177 — Congregational Church of Blair
Religous institutions have played an important role in the history of Nebraska. During the frontier period, churches fulfilled both the spiritual and social needs of the early inhabitants. The Congregational Church was one of Nebraska's pioneer . . . — Map (db m7841) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Blair — 217 — Cuming City Cemetery and Nature Preserve
Traditionally known as the Cuming City Cemetery, this eleven-acre tract of land was set aside in 1976 primarily as a preserve for native vegetation. Never plowed, this prairie looks much like it did to the Indians and to the first white men who . . . — Map (db m7793) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Blair — 119 — DeSoto Townsite
The town of DeSoto was platted on this site in 1854 and incorporated in 1855. Steamboating on the Missouri was then in its heyday. DeSoto provided a landing for passengers and goods. A number of boats sank nearby, notably the Cora and . . . — Map (db m7837) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Blair — 342 — Lewis and Clark CampsitesAugust 3 and 4, 1804
On August 3 Lewis and Clark held a council with the Oto and Missouria Indians at a site they named "Council Bluff," near present Fort Calhoun, Nebraska. It was the first of many councils they would hold on their journey to the Pacific Ocean. . . . — Map (db m7794) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Blair — 137 — Steamboat Bertrand
During the mid-nineteenth century, steamboats played a major role in the settlement and development of the nation. In March 1865 the fully laden sternwheeler Bertrand left St. Louis under command of Captain James Yore. The cargo of general . . . — Map (db m74161) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Fort Calhoun — 117 — Fort Atkinson
From 1820 to 1827, the nation's largest and most westerly military post occupied this site, the earlier scene of Lewis and Clark's Council Bluff. In late 1819, troops under Colonel Henry Atkinson established Cantonment Missouri along the river near . . . — Map (db m7769) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Fort Calhoun — 2 — Fort Atkinson
Civilization came to the west bank of the Missouri with establishment of Fort Atkinson in 1820 about a half mile southeast of here. Named after its founder, General Henry Atkinson, this western-most Fort protected the frontier's developing commerce. . . . — Map (db m7890) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Fort Calhoun — 341 — Lewis and Clark CampsiteJuly 30 - August 2, 1804
On July 30 the explorers arrived at the bluff where Fort Atkinson would be built less than two decades later. Clark wrote, "The Situation of this place which we Call Council Bluff which is handsom ellevated a Spot well Calculated... for a . . . — Map (db m7887) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Fort Calhoun — 457 — The Death of Marshal Suverkrubbe
About 3 a.m. on December 5, 1932, Fort Calhoun marshal Albert Suverkrubbe was shot while trying to apprehend two men fleeing Kruse's Red and White Grocery at 106 S. Fourteenth Street. Suverkrubbe died from his wounds nine days later, leaving his . . . — Map (db m7767) HM
Nebraska (Webster County), Red Cloud — 108 — 1871 Red Cloud 1971
Red Cloud, named for the Oglala Sioux chief, was founded early in 1871 on homestead land filed upon by Silas Garber and company July 17, 1870, at Beatrice, the nearest land office. It is one of the oldest communities in the Republican Valley. When . . . — Map (db m77975) HM
Nebraska (Webster County), Red Cloud — 123 — 1871 Webster County 1971
On April 10, 1871, Acting Governor William James issued a proclamation calling for the organization of Webster County, with officials to be elected nine days later. The dugout of Silas Garber, later to serve as Nebraska's governor, was the polling . . . — Map (db m77977) HM
Nebraska (Webster County), Red Cloud — 262 — Burlington Depot
Built in 1897, the main section of Red Cloud's Burlington Depot contained sleeping quarters on the second floor, and freight room, agent's office, and waiting room below. The building was moved here from its site near the tracks directly . . . — Map (db m77974) HM
Nebraska (Webster County), Red Cloud — 264 — Cather Childhood Home
Built ca. 1876, this is the house in which Willa Cather lived from 1884 to 1890. She describes it in "Old Mrs. Harris," in "The Best Years," and in this quotation from Song of the Lark: "They turned into another street and saw before . . . — Map (db m77976) HM
Nebraska (Webster County), Red Cloud — 261 — Grace Episcopal Church
Built in 1884 on the corner of Second and Walnut, the Grace Protestant Episcopal Church was moved to its present location in 1891. The brick veneer was added sometime after 1922. Willa Cather joined this church in 1922 and remained a loyal . . . — Map (db m77978) HM
Nebraska (Webster County), Red Cloud — 176 — Willa Cather Memorial Prairie
Willa Cather first came to Webster County from Virginia in 1883 at the age of nine. The vast open prairies of Nebraska made a lasting impression on her. "This country was mostly wild pasture and as naked as the back of your hand. I was little and . . . — Map (db m77973) HM
Nebraska (York County), Bradshaw — 440 — Bradshaw
After 1861 an important variant of the overland trails system, the Nebraska City – Fort Kearny Cutoff, passed nearby, over which freight was transported from the Missouri River to western forts and mining camps. The region’s first . . . — Map (db m101842) HM
Nebraska (York County), York — 174 — Nebraska City-Fort Kearny Cut-Off

Massive freighting of supplies by ox and mule trains was a direct result of the establishment of Fort Kearny and other western military posts. The Mormon War and the discovery of gold in the territories of Colorado and Montana increased this . . . — Map (db m79830) HM


195 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement