Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Illinois State Historical Society Historical Markers

Markers of the Illinois state historical markers program administered by the Illinois State Historical Society.
204 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 4
 
Augustine Tolton Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Pfingsten, June 11, 2012
Augustine Tolton Marker
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Augustine Tolton
Father Tolton, the first negro priest in the United States, was born of slave parents in Brush Creek, Missouri, in 1854. Educated at Quincy schools, he returned to this city after his ordination in Rome, Italy, in 1886. He celebrated his first . . . — Map (db m58799) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Navy Reserve
On this site stood the U.S. Naval Reserve Training Center of Quincy. Built in the late 1940's, it had 3 Quonset huts, office building, and surface division 9-29(m) with up to 120 personnel. Many were veterans of W.W. II, Korea and Vietnam. Others . . . — Map (db m150027) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Stephen A. Douglas in Quincy
Statesman and politician Stephen A. Douglas began his distinguished national career in Quincy. A resident of the city from 1841-1847, he served as Associate Justice of the Illinois Supreme Court from 1841-1843, then in the U.S. House until he was . . . — Map (db m149962) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — The Mormons in Quincy
Mormons in Missouri were forced to flee their homes or face death because of an "extermination order" issued in 1838 by Governor Lillburn Boggs. Many of them crossed into Illinois at Quincy and were made welcome by the people here. In April 1839 . . . — Map (db m149828) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Thomas Scott Baldwin 1858-1923
The home of Major Thomas Scott Baldwin, aviation pioneer, once stood at this location. Baldwin invented the first folding parachute here in 1887, and by the 1890's had become one of the highest paid parachute exhibitionists in the nation. He built . . . — Map (db m150016) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Welcome to Illinois
In 1673 the areas of the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers were explored by Frenchmen Louis Joliet and Father Jacques Marquette. Their voyages resulted in French claims on the area until 1763 when, by the Treaty of Paris, France ceded the land to . . . — Map (db m150015) HM
Illinois (Alexander County), Cairo — Cairo, Illinois
Pierre Francois Xavier de Charlevoix, a French Jesuit, reported as early as 1721 that the land at the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers would be a strategic location for settlement and fortification. Nearly a century later, in 1818, the . . . — Map (db m144870) HM
Illinois (Bureau County), Cherry — Cherry Mine Disaster
Just north of town are remnants of the Cherry Coal Mine, where 259 miners lost their lives in one of the worst mine disasters in United States history. The St. Paul Coal Company began mining coal at Cherry in 1905 and by 1909 was mining 300,000 . . . — Map (db m36734) HM
Illinois (Bureau County), Princeton — Owen Lovejoy Home
This two-story frame structure was the home of abolitionist Owen Lovejoy, who was born in Maine in 1811. Lovejoy moved into the house in 1838, when he became a Congregationalist minister. He was leader in the formation of the Republican Party in . . . — Map (db m44351) HM
Illinois (Carroll County), Lanark — A Stone Arch Bridge on the Galena Road
The Stone Arch Bridge that stands to the east of the present highway was on the Galena Road, once the most important trail in northern Illinois. Along this route innumerable people streamed northward to the lead mines near Galena every spring and . . . — Map (db m55806) HM
Illinois (Carroll County), Mount Carroll — Lewistown Trail
Lewistown Trail ran from Springfield to Galena via Lewistown. From 1827 to 1837 it was one of the main routes to the Galena lead mines. In general the trail ran in a northerly direction, crossing the Rock River at Prophetstown. It then zigzagged . . . — Map (db m34241) HM
Illinois (Carroll County), Mount Carroll — Shimer College
Mount Carroll Seminary was founded as a coeducational institution in 1853 by Frances Ann Wood (later Mrs. Shimer). After the Civil War, enrollment was limited to women. Rechartered in 1896 as the Frances Shimer Academy of the University of Chicago, . . . — Map (db m34479) HM
Illinois (Carroll County), Savanna — Helen Scott Hay
Helen Scott Hay, famous Red Cross nurse, was born near Lanark in this county. She was a graduate of Savanna High School, Northwestern University in Evanston, and the Illinois Training School for Nurses in Chicago, where she was later Superintendent. . . . — Map (db m55838) HM
Illinois (Carroll County), Savanna — Plum River Falls
Steamboats once navigated to this point, where Plum River Falls powered saw, powder, grist, and flour mills at various times between 1836 and 1885. Near here the Rock Island Military and Prophetstown Trails to Galena were intersected as early as the . . . — Map (db m34261) HM
Illinois (Cass County), Chandlerville — Chandlerville
Founded 1832 by Dr. Charles Chandler of Rhode Island. — Map (db m58403) HM
Illinois (Christian County), Moweaqua — Moweaqua Coal Mine Disaster
This is the site of the Moweaqua Coal Mine Disaster which on December 24, 1932, took the lives of all 54 miners entering the mine that day. The Moweaqua Coal Mine was Shelby County's largest. An unprecedented drop in barometric pressure allowed . . . — Map (db m55619) HM
Illinois (Christian County), Taylorville — Christian County Courthouse1840 - 1856
The first courthouse of Christian County (originally Dane County) was built in 1840 for $2,350. It was located in the center of Taylorville’s Public Square. Court was held on the lower level with County Officers sharing the upstairs floor. Since the . . . — Map (db m29091) HM
Illinois (Clark County), Marshall — Fancher Pony Truss Bridge
Hiram B. Trout and his brother, Everett Trout, were born on a farm about five miles north of this location. They operated a machine shop in Shelbyville, Illinois in the late 1800’s at which in time they invented and patented the unique design for . . . — Map (db m59336) HM
Illinois (Clark County), Marshall — Old Stone Arch Bridge
This Bridge was completed by Army Engineers sometime between 1834 and 1837 as part of the Old National Road, between Cumberland, Maryland and Vandalia, Illinois, was authorized by the enabling act of 1803 and was the Nation's first federally . . . — Map (db m71127) HM
Illinois (Clay County), Flora — Lewis Baldwin Parsons
Near this site was the home of Brevet Major General Lewis B. Parsons, who lived in Flora from 1875 until his death in 1907. Born in New York in 1818, Parsons graduated from Harvard Law School and began practice in Alton, Illinois. In 1854 he moved . . . — Map (db m98934) HM
Illinois (Clinton County), Carlyle — The General Dean Suspension Bridge
This bridge was built in 1859 at a cost of $40,000 and used for nearly seventy years. Previously, travelers at Carlyle crossed the Kaskaskia by ferry or on a mud bridge supported by logs. The Historic American Buildings Survey recognized the . . . — Map (db m98933) HM
Illinois (Coles County), Lerna — Moore House
Here on January 31, 1861, President-Elect Abraham Lincoln visited his stepmother, Mrs. Sarah Bush Lincoln and her daughter Mrs. Reuben Moore (Matilda Johnston). This was his last visit to Coles County before leaving Illinois for his inauguration. . . . — Map (db m30888) HM
Illinois (Coles County), Lerna — The Last Lincoln Farm
In 1837 Thomas Lincoln erected a cabin on a tract of land situated one-half mile to the east. Here he resided until his death in 1851. Abraham Lincoln visited here frequently, and after 1841 held title to forty acres of land on which his parents . . . — Map (db m30933) HM
Illinois (Coles County), Oakland — Home of Dr. Hiram Rutherford
This was the home of Dr. Hiram Rutherford, who was involved in 1847 in a case in which Abraham Lincoln represented a slaveholder. Rutherford and Gideon Ashmore harbored a family of slaves who had sought their help. The slaves belonged to Robert . . . — Map (db m30877) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Battle of Fort DearbornAugust 15, 1812
From roughly 1620 to 1820, the territory of the Potawatomi extended from what is now Green Bay, Wisconsin, to Detroit, Michigan, and included the Chicago area. In 1803, the United States government built Fort Dearborn at what is today Michigan . . . — Map (db m67806) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Mary Bartelme, Illinois’ First Female Judge
This park is named for Mary Bartelme (1866-1954), a pioneering Illinois Lawyer. Bartelme became the first female judge in Illinois (1923) and the second female judge in the United States. Born at Fulton and Halsted Streets in Chicago, she became a . . . — Map (db m132021) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — The Eastland Disaster
While still partially tied to its dock at the river’s edge, the excursion steamer Eastland rolled over on the morning of July 24, 1915. The result was one of the worst maritime disasters in American history. More than eight hundred people . . . — Map (db m61452) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — The 1992 River West Gas Fires
At 4 P.M. on January 17, 1992, a series of explosions and fires ravaged the River West community. The fires were in an area bounded by the Chicago River, the Kennedy Expressway, and Kinzie and Division Streets. The devastation was caused by . . . — Map (db m61460) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — West Side GroundsHome Field of the Chicago National League Ball Club from 1893 to 1915
First Game: May 14, 1893 (Cincinnati 13, Chicago 12) Last Game: October 13, 1915 (Chicago 7, St. Louis 2) Seating Capacity: 16,000 Career Record at West Side Grounds: 1,018 wins, 640 loses World Series Champions: 1907, 1908 National . . . — Map (db m82399) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Franklin Park — Burial Site of Josette Beaubien
Josette Beaubien, a survivor of the Fort Dearborn Massacre, was buried here in 1845. She was married to Jean Baptiste Beaubien, one of Chicago's first settlers. Her brother was Claude LaFramboise, a chief of the Potawatomi Indians. Chief Alexander . . . — Map (db m55452) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Glenview — Kennicott House
Kennicott House was built in 1856 by John A. Kennicott, a prominent Illinois physician, horticulturist, and educational and agricultural leader. Kennicott moved to the Grove from New Orleans with his family in 1836 shortly after the birth of his . . . — Map (db m55575) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Homewood — Dixie Highway
Dixie Highway was the first national road linking industrial northern states to agricultural southern states. Several governors met in 1915 to consider an improved road to Miami. Ten states lobbied for inclusion, resulting in eastern and western . . . — Map (db m87086) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Homewood — Washington Park Racetrack
Opening on July 3, 1926, with the American Derby and a $100,000 purse, Washington Park Racetrack, built by Washington Park Corporation and Illinois Jockey Club, became a home for the nation's finest thoroughbreds. Colonel Matt Winn and the American . . . — Map (db m87089) HM
Illinois (Cook County), River Forest — River Forest, IllinoisProud Heritage – Bright Future
The site of present-day River Forest was once home to prehistoric Native Americans, who constructed large effigy mounds throughout the region. Soon after the American Revolution Chippewa, Menominee, and Potawatomi Indians moved onto the landscape, . . . — Map (db m94461) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Thornton — Camp Thornton #2605 and the Civil Conservation CorpsCamp Motto: "String Along"
In the spring of 1934, Camp Thornton opened on this site as a home to young men of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). At first, the men slept in tents in grass and weeds three feet tall. Later they built their own military style barracks with . . . — Map (db m148602) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Winnetka — The Green Bay Trail
One branch of the Green Bay Trail traversed this region. Originally an Indian trail, after 1816 the route connected Fort Dearborn at Chicago with Fort Howard at Green Bay. Couriers faced hunger, cold and Indians to carry dispatches on a round trip . . . — Map (db m66618) HM
Illinois (Crawford County), Palestine — Auntie Gogin's Store
On this block Mary Ann (Elwell) Gogin operated a General Merchandise Store in the late nineteenth century. One of the first women in Illinois to own and manage her own store. Mrs. Gogin was affectionately known as "Auntie" to the residents of . . . — Map (db m23315) HM
Illinois (Crawford County), Palestine — Cullom Homestead
Here stood the home of Edward N. Cullom who with Joseph Kitchell platted the Village of Palestine in 1818. They donated to the county the land including the Public Square for the County Seat. Early court sessions were held in the Cullom home. — Map (db m23311) HM
Illinois (Crawford County), Palestine — Dubois Tavern
Here stood the Dubois Tavern. Jesse K. Dubois, a close friend of Abraham Lincoln, was an official in the United States Land Office in Palestine from 1849-1853 and later became the Auditor of Public Accounts for Illinois. His son, Fred T. Dubois, . . . — Map (db m23309) HM
Illinois (Crawford County), Palestine — Fort Foot
About 1813 the William Eaton family and other restless pioneers considered Fort LaMotte too crowded and therefore constructed a new stockade on a site several hundred yards North of here. A family trait of the Eatons, large feet, led to the name . . . — Map (db m23319) HM
Illinois (Crawford County), Palestine — Fort LaMotte
About 1812 the settlers in this area built Fort LaMotte for protection from hostile indians. The pioneers farmed the adjoining land but stayed within easy reach of the protective walls. After the War of 1812 the Indian threat diminished and . . . — Map (db m23308) HM
Illinois (Crawford County), Palestine — Gov. Augustus C. French
On this site stood the home of Augustus C. French (1808-1864) when he was elected the ninth Governor of Illinois. The early settlers in Illinois came mostly from Southern States so that French, a native of New Hampshire, was the first "Yankee" to . . . — Map (db m23318) HM
Illinois (Crawford County), Palestine — Houston - Dickson Store
Two early residents of Palestine, John Houston and Francis Dickson, purchased this lot as the site for a combination dwelling and store about 1818. By 1820 their stock of merchandise provided nearby settlers with goods which they previously had . . . — Map (db m23313) HM
Illinois (Crawford County), Palestine — Kitchell Grist Mill
In this area Joseph Kitchell who settled here in 1817 erected a Grist Mill and Distillery which eliminated the trip to Shakertown, Indiana where the farmers had previously taken their grain. Horses were used for power, grain was taken in pay, . . . — Map (db m23307) HM
Illinois (Crawford County), Palestine — Palestine, Illinois
This area reminded Frenchman John LaMotte of the land of milk and honey, Palestine. While a member of the LaSalle exploring party, he became separated from the group, traveled down the Wabash River, and first gazed upon the region in 1678. Other . . . — Map (db m23328) HM
Illinois (Crawford County), Palestine — United States Land Office
A United States Land Office was located at this site in 1820 and operated until 1855. Settlers from as far as Chicago came here to file on homesteads. Young Abraham Lincoln passing through Palestine in 1830 with his family in emigrant wagons . . . — Map (db m23316) HM
Illinois (DeKalb County), Shabbona — Shabbona
In the early 1800's Shabbona was a principal chief of the Ottowa, Potawatomi, and Chippewa group of tribes which banded together to form "The Three Fires." Shabbona camped briefly in a large grove one-half mile south of here. He fought with the . . . — Map (db m31672) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Addison — Army Trail Road
This road followed an Indian trail that began in Chicago and went through DuPage, Kane, De Kalb, Boone, and Winnebago Counties to a Winnebago Village at Beloit, Wisconsin. In August, 1832, during the Black Hawk War, United States Army reinforcements . . . — Map (db m47438) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Glen Ellyn — Stacy’s Tavern
Moses Stacy, soldier in the War of 1812, arrived here in 1835. This inn, built in 1846 and his second home, was a halfway stop between Chicago and the Fox River Valley and a probable stage stop for Rockford-Galena coaches. For many years the village . . . — Map (db m97573) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Naperville — Fort Payne
Near this site in 1832 a 100-foot square stockade enclosed by wooden pickets, with two blockhouses on diagonal corners, was built. Here Captain Morgan L. Payne and his company of forty-five men protected the settlers from roaming Sauk Indians during . . . — Map (db m97574) HM
Illinois (Edgar County), Chrisman — Pontiac Peace Treaty
A few miles west of here on July 18, 1765, Pontiac, an Ottawa Chief, and George Croghan, British Representative, met in a formal peace council which ended the most threatening Indian uprising against the British in North America. Following the . . . — Map (db m10997) HM
Illinois (Edgar County), Paris — Zion's Camp MarchThrough Edgar County
In 1834, Joseph Smith, prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS), together with about 200 LDS Volunteers from Kirtland, Ohio, marched to assist threatened church members in Jackson County, Missouri. Called “Zion’s . . . — Map (db m23351) HM
Illinois (Fayette County), Vandalia — Cumberland Road
Vandalia was the western terminus of the Cumberland or National Road which extended eighty feet wide for 591 miles from Cumberland, Maryland through Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana. Illinois construction by the Federal Government began in 1811 and . . . — Map (db m42345) HM
Illinois (Fayette County), Vandalia — First State Capitol1820 - 1823
The first capitol building owned by the State was erected on this site. It was a thirty by forty feet two-story frame structure. The Second and Third Illinois General Assemblies met here, the House on the first floor and the Senate on the second. . . . — Map (db m42366) HM
Illinois (Fayette County), Vandalia — Flack's Hotel
In 1836 Colonel Abner Flack took over the large three-story frame building which stood here and operated it under the name Vandalia Inn. In 1853-1854 it was the headquarters for Chief Engineer Charles F. Jones, in charge of construction of the . . . — Map (db m42347) HM
Illinois (Fayette County), Vandalia — House of Divine WorshipErected in 1823
The Illinois General Assembly donated five lots in Vandalia to promote the construction of a church for the use of all denominations. The forty-five by sixty feet one-story frame structure erected in the summer of 1823 was used primarily by the . . . — Map (db m42340) HM
Illinois (Fayette County), Vandalia — Old State Cemetery
The Illinois General Assembly authorized Governor Edward Coles in 1823 to convey to Vandalia one and one-half acres for a state burial ground. Here were buried four members of the legislature and several state officials who died while in office. . . . — Map (db m42371) HM
Illinois (Fayette County), Vandalia — Public Printer
This is the site of a two-story frame building occupied by Robert Blackwell, State Printer 1818-1832, and publisher of the Laws of the United States. In 1823 he became publisher of the Illinois Intelligencer newspaper. The first periodical in . . . — Map (db m42348) HM
Illinois (Fayette County), Vandalia — Robert K. McLaughlin Home
On this site lived Robert K. McLaughlin, State Treasurer 1820-1823, State Senator 1828-1832, 1836-1837, and Register of the United States Land Office 1837-1845. Here the Governors of Illinois resided when the Legislature was in session. The . . . — Map (db m42339) HM
Illinois (Fayette County), Vandalia — Second State Capitol1824 - 1836
The second state capitol owned by the State was a two-story brick building erected here in 1824, using the walls of the first State Bank which burned January 28, 1823. Abraham Lincoln was a member of the House in the 1834-1835 and 1835-1836 . . . — Map (db m42351) HM
Illinois (Fayette County), Vandalia — Site of Blackwell's White House
Colonel Robert Blackwell's new two-story frame store and boarding house opened on this site in time for the convening of the Ninth General Assembly on December 1, 1834. He advertised board and lodging for 'thirty or forty.' — Map (db m144303) HM
Illinois (Fayette County), Vandalia — Site of Ernst Hotel
Here stood a two-story log building erected in 1819 for Ferdinand Ernst who brought the German colony to Vandalia. Named Union Hall, it was operated as a hotel. After Ernst's death in 1823 it was managed by E.M. Townsend, and from April 1825 by . . . — Map (db m42363) HM
Illinois (Fayette County), Vandalia — Third State CapitolErected in 1836
The third capitol building owned by the state was restored as a memorial in 1933. It was the capitol from December 3, 1836 to July 4, 1839. Abraham Lincoln was a member of the House during the three sessions of the legislature held in this . . . — Map (db m42346) HM
Illinois (Franklin County), Benton — The First Beatle In AmericaGeorge Harrison
In the late summer of 1963, four musicians from Liverpool, England — John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr — collectively known as the Beatles, were poised to conquer pop culture and music history. With three hit . . . — Map (db m146915) HM
Illinois (Fulton County), Lewistown — Lewistown Trail
Lewistown Trail, from Springfield to Galena via Lewistown, was one of the main routes to the Galena Lead Mines from 1827 to 1837. The Trail crossed the Illinois River at Havana, where Ossian M. Ross, the founder of Lewistown, operated a ferry. He . . . — Map (db m129216) HM
Illinois (Gallatin County), Old Shawneetown — Marshall House
This was the original site of the home of John Marshall, one of the founders and president of the Bank of Illinois, the first bank chartered by the Illinois Territorial Legislature. The charter was issued in 1816. The bank opened at Shawneetown in . . . — Map (db m60312) HM
Illinois (Greene County), Carrollton — Thomas Carlin
Thomas Carlin, sixth elected Governor of Illinois (1838-1842), was an early settler of Illinois and a prominent figure in organizing Greene County and establishing Carrollton as its county seat in 1821. Born in Kentucky in 1789, Carlin came to . . . — Map (db m142746) HM
Illinois (Grundy County), Diamond — The Diamond Mine Disaster
The Diamond Mine of the Wilmington Coal Mining and Manufacturing Company, located near Braidwood on the Grundy-Will County line, was the site of a major mine disaster in Illinois. The mine was on a marshy tract of land that had no natural . . . — Map (db m6868) HM
Illinois (Hancock County), Carthage — The "Old Jail"
In the old Carthage jail which stands one block south of here, Joseph and Hyrum Smith, Prophet and Patriarch of the Mormon Church were killed by a mob on June 27, 1844. Two years later the Mormons withdrew from Illinois, where they had settled in . . . — Map (db m57872) HM
Illinois (Hancock County), Hamilton — Welcome to Illinois
In 1673 the areas of the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers were explored by Frenchmen Louis Joliet and Father Jacques Marquette. Their voyages resulted in French claims on the area until 1763 when, by the Treaty of Paris, France ceded the land to . . . — Map (db m55418) HM
Illinois (Hancock County), Nauvoo — Historic Nauvoo
In 1839 the Mormons, or Latter Day Saints, settled at Nauvoo and made it their chief city. During their residence its population reached 15,000. After long friction with non-Mormons the Mormons were expelled in 1846. Three years later French . . . — Map (db m55444) HM
Illinois (Hancock County), Nauvoo — Nauvoo, Illinois
Nauvoo was once the site of a Sauk and Fox village. After the Indians moved west of the Mississippi, promoters attempted to develop town sites here but the marshy bottom lands attracted few settlers. In 1839, the Mormon Prophet Joseph Smith . . . — Map (db m55432) HM
Illinois (Hancock County), Nauvoo — The Icarian Community in Nauvoo
A communal society of French Icarians was established at Nauvoo in 1849. Led by Etienne Cabet, a French political theorist, the Icarians believed that all property must be held communally. The community was incorporated by the Illinois General . . . — Map (db m55442) HM
Illinois (Jefferson County), Mount Vernon — Appellate Courthouse
This building was constructed for the Southern Division of the Illinois Supreme Court, one of three divisions created by the Constitution of 1848. Court met in lodge halls in Mount Vernon prior to completion of the center section of this . . . — Map (db m61702) HM
Illinois (Jefferson County), Mount Vernon — Goshen Road
The Goshen Road was one of the main arteries of travel in the early 1800's, when Illinois was frontier country. The road ran in a Northwesterly direction from Shawneetown to Edwardsville - A distance of more than 150 miles. Shawneetown and . . . — Map (db m88993) HM
Illinois (Jersey County), Otterville — Hamilton Primary School
In 1834 Dr. Silas Hamilton, physician and humanitarian, bequeathed $4,000 for construction and operation of a building for educational and religious purposes. A stone schoolhouse was opened in 1836, and the tuition-free education for local students . . . — Map (db m142751) HM
Illinois (Jo Daviess County), Galena — The De Soto House
Opened in April, 1855, the five-story, 240 room De Soto House was “the largest and most luxurious hotel in the West.” Abraham Lincoln spoke from its balcony in 1856 and Stephen A. Douglas in 1858. Ulysses S. Grant maintained his 1868 . . . — Map (db m72275) HM
Illinois (Kane County), Dundee — Billy and Ma Sunday
Evangelist William "Billy" Sunday and his wife Helen "Ma" Sunday owned this farm, 1899-1913, and spent their summers here. Ma was born on the farm. Billy was born in Ames, Iowa, in 1862. He played outfield for Chicago and other National League . . . — Map (db m55486) HM
Illinois (Kane County), Elgin — Elgin Milk Condensing Company
Gail Borden, pioneer in the food preservative industry, established a milk condensing plant on this site in 1865. His discovery incorporated a process by which water was evaporated from milk, and sugar added as a preservative. This process, patented . . . — Map (db m63650) HM
Illinois (Kane County), Elgin — Elgin National Watch Company
From 1866 to 1966 this site was occupied by the Elgin National Watch Company. This was the first watch factory built west of the Alleghenies and grew to become the world's largest. During its lifetime over 60 million 'Elgin' watches were . . . — Map (db m55455) HM
Illinois (Kane County), Elgin — Elgin Road Races
This marker is along the “south leg” of the Elgin road races. Beginning in 1910, many leading drivers and mechanics competed here in grueling tests of speed and endurance that contributed to the development of the modern automobile. . . . — Map (db m55454) HM
Illinois (Kane County), Elgin — Illinois Watch Case Company(1890-1963)
For more than 70 years this site was occupied by the Illinois Watch Case Company. The firm was a leader in the domestic watch industry and by the 1920s had produced more than 30 million watch cases. A subsidiary produced jewelry goods, lockets, . . . — Map (db m55458) HM
Illinois (Kane County), West Dundee — Pinkerton’s Early Home
Allan Pinkerton, famous detective, had his home and cooperage on this lot, 1844-1850. Here he sheltered and employed slaves escaping to freedom. After helping to capture some counterfeiters, he became deputy sheriff of Kane County in 1848. In 1850 . . . — Map (db m55485) HM
Illinois (Kankakee County), Bourbonnais — Bourbonnais Grove
Bourbonnais Grove’s first families came from Quebec’s Upper St. Lawrence Valley in the 1830s and ’40s to settle what would become the largest 19th century French-Canadian agrarian village in Illinois. Some immigrants moved on to found St. Anne, St. . . . — Map (db m105623) HM
Illinois (Kankakee County), Bourbonnais — The Durham-Perry Family Legacy
Thomas Durham bought 160 acres on this site in 1835 from Gurdon S. Hubbard. Known as the Jonveau Reserve, the land lay in an area called Bourbonnais Grove. Durham opened 20 acres for cultivation. In January 1836, parts of Cook and Iroquois Counties . . . — Map (db m105729) HM
Illinois (Kankakee County), Momence — Hubbard Trail
This trail was blazed by Gurdon S. Hubbard, 1822–1824, connecting the trading posts of the American Fur Company between Vincennes and Chicago. Momence, near the upper crossing of the Kankakee River, is on this trail. Known also as the . . . — Map (db m105838) HM
Illinois (Knox County), Galesburg — Carl Sandburg Birthplace
Carl Sandburg, poet and historian, was born in this modest three-room cottage on January 6, 1878. He was the son of a Swedish immigrant railroad worker. Carl attended Lombard College in Galesburg, and his first poetry was published in this town. . . . — Map (db m150543) HM
Illinois (Knox County), Galesburg — Lincoln-Douglas Debate
On October 7, 1858, Abraham Lincoln and Stephan A. Douglas met in Galesburg for the fifth of seven joint debates. From a platform erected along the east side of Old Main on the Knox College campus, Lincoln said: "He is blowing out the moral lights . . . — Map (db m37056) HM
Illinois (Lake County), Highland Park — Fort Sheridan
This U.S. Army Post was named after Civil War Cavalry General Philip Sheridan, to honor his many services to Chicago (1868-1883). The Commercial Club of Chicago, concerned since 1877 with the need for a military garrison, was motivated by the . . . — Map (db m55515) HM
Illinois (Lake County), Lake Bluff — The Dwyer Settlement in Lake County, Illinois
In 1837 William Dwyer, his wife Mary, and her brother, Dr. Richard Murphy, established a claim to the property on this site and created what was known as the Dwyer Settlement. The Dwyer homestead included a tavern and one of the three stage stops . . . — Map (db m66619) HM
Illinois (Lake County), Libertyville — Adlai Ewing Stevenson II1900 – 1965
Adlai Ewing Stevenson – Governor of Illinois from 1949 to 1953, twice the Democratic Party nominee for president, and United States Ambassador to the United Nations – Built this residence in 1938. Known as "The Farm," the house, . . . — Map (db m41247) HM
Illinois (Lake County), North Chicago — Washburn and Moen Manufacturing CompanyThe Waukegan Works and North Chicago
The Washburn and Moen Manufacturing Company of Worcester, MA. established a wire mill – The Waukegan Works – east of this location along Lake Michigan. The land for its Illinois operation was purchased January 16, 1891, on the . . . — Map (db m38184) HM
Illinois (Lake County), Rondout — The Rondout Train Robbery
On June 12, 1924, the largest train robbery in U.S. history occurred near here. Bandits boarded the train in Chicago and forced postal clerks to surrender sacks containing more than two-million dollars in securities and cash. Local police . . . — Map (db m54066) HM
Illinois (Lake County), Wauconda — Andrew C. Cook House
In 1840, Andrew C. Cook and his wife Mary Oakes came to Wauconda Township from Vermont, via the Erie Canal, the Great Lakes to Chicago and then to Wauconda. They purchased 380 acres of land at $1.25 per acre. A log cabin was erected before clearing . . . — Map (db m54062) HM
Illinois (Lake County), Waukegan — Joseph T. Bowen Country Club
From 1912 to 1962, Bowen Park was the site of the Joseph T. Bowen Country Club, owned by the Hull-House Association of Chicago. Here, children from many national, racial and religious backgrounds learned to respect each other and the environment. . . . — Map (db m54019) HM
Illinois (LaSalle County), LaSalle — La Salle-Peru, Illinois
The story of the twin cities of LaSalle and Peru is closely interwoven with the history of the Illinois River and the Illinois and Michigan Canal. In 1673, Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet passed through this area by way of the Illinois River . . . — Map (db m51066) HM
Illinois (LaSalle County), Ottawa — The First Lincoln-Douglas Debate
On August 21, 1858, the first of seven debates between Abraham Lincoln and United States Senator Stephen A. Douglas took place in this park. Approximately 10,000 people gathered to hear the two candidates discuss the question of slavery in America. . . . — Map (db m65299) HM
Illinois (LaSalle County), Streator — Clyde Tombaugh
Clyde William Tombaugh was born near Reading (south of Streator) in 1906. He attended Heenanville Grade School and Streator High School and became interested in astronomy at an early age. In 1922 his family moved to Kansas. He built telescopes and . . . — Map (db m145184) HM
Illinois (Lawrence County), Sumner — Vincennes Tract
The western boundary of the Vincennes Tract passed through this point. The line extended south-southwest thirty-nine miles from present-day Crawford through Lawrence, Wabash, and Edwards counties in Illinois. The Vincennes Tract was seventy-two . . . — Map (db m98964) HM
Illinois (Lee County), Dixon — Lincoln in the Black Hawk War
On May 12, 1832 Captain Abraham Lincoln's company of Illinois volunteers camped one mile west. Lincoln re-enlisted in two other companies and was frequently in Dixon. Discharged from service near Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, on July 10, Lincoln passed . . . — Map (db m78300) HM
Illinois (Livingston County), Chatsworth — The Chatsworth WreckMidnight August 10-11, 1887
One-half mile north on the Toledo, Peoria and Western Railroad occured one of the worst wrecks in American rail history. An excursion train- two engines and approximately 20 wooden coaches - from Peoria to Niagara Falls, struck a burning culvert. Of . . . — Map (db m30042) HM
Illinois (Livingston County), Dwight — Cardiff, Illinois
The village of Cardiff was built on this site in 1899, after the discovery of underground coal deposits. A mine was sunk and a relatively large town developed within months. The town, originally known as North Campus, incorporated as the Village . . . — Map (db m47311) HM
Illinois (Logan County), Atlanta — Atlanta Public Library-Museum
The Atlanta public library was founded in 1873 by public spirited citizens who realized the importance of books. In 1973, the museum was added for the purpose of preserving Atlanta's heritage. In 1979, this octagonal structure was listed on the . . . — Map (db m56326) HM
Illinois (Logan County), Lincoln — Abraham Lincoln and Lincoln, Illinois
Near this site Abraham Lincoln christened the Town with the juice of a watermelon when the first lots were sold on August 27, 1853. President-Elect Lincoln spoke here, November 21, 1860, while traveling to Chicago, and Lincoln's Funeral Train . . . — Map (db m12347) HM
Illinois (Logan County), Lincoln — Deskins Tavern
On this site Dr. John Deskins erected a tavern in 1836. Abraham Lincoln, David Davis and other lawyers frequently stayed overnight here while the Eighth Judicial Circuit Court was in session at the Postville Court House. The judge, lawyers, . . . — Map (db m56327) HM
Illinois (Logan County), Lincoln — Lincoln College
On Abraham Lincoln's last birthday, February 12, 1865, ground was broken for Lincoln University, now Lincoln College. The town proprietors, Robert B. Latham, John D. Gillett and Virgil Hickox, donated the tract of land for the original campus, and . . . — Map (db m105968) HM
Illinois (Logan County), Lincoln — Lincoln Public Library
The Lincoln Public Library is a fine example of public neo-classical construction. This W.A. Otis structure was completed in 1903. A stained glass dome and oak woodwork highlight the interior. Major benefactors were Steven Foley who guided its . . . — Map (db m105969) HM
Illinois (Logan County), Lincoln — Logan County Circuit Court
On this site stood two former Logan County Courthouses in which Abraham Lincoln practiced law from 1856 to until elected President. During the March term, 1859, Lincoln substituted for David Davis as the presiding judge of the Logan County Circuit . . . — Map (db m105970) HM
Illinois (Logan County), Lincoln — Postville Park
In 1835 Russell Post, a Baltimore adventurer, laid out the town of Postville which became the first Logan County seat. The town square is now Postville Park. Here Abraham Lincoln and his friends played townball a predecessor of baseball, threw the . . . — Map (db m106028) HM
Illinois (Logan County), Lincoln — Robert B. Latham Home
On this site stood the home of Robert B. Latham who joined John D. Gillett and Virgil Hickox to found the town of Lincoln in 1853. Abraham Lincoln, judges and lawyers of the eighth judicial circuit were frequent guests in his home. — Map (db m147790) HM
Illinois (Logan County), Lincoln — Stephen A. Douglas Speech
On this site during the senatorial campaign of 1858 Stephen A. Douglas spoke to a Democratic political rally in a circus tent on September 4th. Douglas' opponent for the Senate seat, Abraham Lincoln, was on the train from Bloomington to Springfield . . . — Map (db m105971) HM
Illinois (Logan County), Lincoln — The First Poem by Langston Hughes1916
This internationally known African-American author (1902-1967) acknowledges in his autobiography The Big Sea that he wrote his first poem while attending Central School here in Lincoln. Ethel Welch, his eighth grade teacher, asked him to write the . . . — Map (db m105976) HM
Illinois (Logan County), Lincoln — The Lincoln House
On this site the Town proprietors erected the original Lincoln House in 1854. Leonard Volk met Abraham Lincoln on the sidewalk in front of the hotel on July 16, 1858, and arranged to make Lincoln's life mask later. — Map (db m12349) HM
Illinois (Logan County), Lincoln — The Niebuhr Family of Theologians
The Niebuhr family, called “The Trapp Family of Theology” by Time magazine, produced four distinguished professors of Christian studies. In 1902, the Rev. Gustav and Lydia Niebuhr came to Lincoln, where he became pastor of St. John’s . . . — Map (db m105975) HM
Illinois (Logan County), Lincoln — The William Maxwell Boyhood Home
William Maxwell (1908-2000), author and editor, lived in this home from 1910-1920. He often returned to this home and Lincoln in his novels and short stories. His Midwestern childhood, particularly his mother's death in the Spanish influenza . . . — Map (db m106025) HM
Illinois (Logan County), Mt. Pulaski — Bi-Plane - Train Race 1910
The historic race between a Wright Brothers bi-plane (2 wings) and an Illinois Central Steam train took place September 29, 1910 from Washington Park in Chicago to the State Fairgrounds in Springfield. Wilbur Wright was a passenger on the train. . . . — Map (db m12323) HM
Illinois (Logan County), Mt. Pulaski — Mt. Pulaski Court House
Mt. Pulaski served as the seat of Logan County from 1848 to 1853. The First County Court was at Postville, now part of Lincoln, Illinois. In 1848 Logan County voters approved the removal of the Court from Postville to Mt. Pulaski. Local citizens . . . — Map (db m12327) HM
Illinois (Macon County), Decatur — Lincoln National Memorial Highway
From the site of the Lincoln cabin on the Sangamon three miles south of here, to the Wabash River opposite Vincennes, the Lincoln National Memorial Highway follows substantially the route taken by the Lincoln family in their migration from Indiana . . . — Map (db m55617) HM
Illinois (Macon County), Decatur — Lincoln’s First Illinois Home
On an eminence overlooking the Sangamon River three miles south of here stood the first home of Lincoln in Illinois. To this site came the Lincoln family in March, 1830. Here they lived until 1831, when the parents removed to Coles County and . . . — Map (db m55618) HM
Illinois (Macon County), Decatur — Site of the Lincoln Cabin
The Lincoln Cabin stood near the north bank of the Sangamon River about 600 yards to the east. — Map (db m12433) HM
Illinois (Macoupin County), Bunker Hill — Bunker Hill Indian Trail
During the historical period, the earliest inhabitants of the present-day community of Bunker Hill were the Peoria, Kickapoo, and Winnebago Indians who established an encampment near North Washington and West Morgan Streets. Another Native American . . . — Map (db m143178) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Elijah Parish Lovejoy
Elijah Parish Lovejoy was the first pastor of Upper Alton Presbyterian Church, now College Avenue Presbyterian Church. A minister, teacher, newspaper editor, and martyr to free speech and the abolition of slavery, he was fatally shot on Nov. 7, . . . — Map (db m142159) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — First Soybeans Planted in Illinois, 1851
Bitten by gold rush fever in 1849, Dr. Benjamin F. Edwards, brother to former Illinois governor Ninian Edwards and the Honorable Cyrus Edwards, left Alton and traveled to San Francisco to try to capitalize on the economic opportunity. Days before he . . . — Map (db m140668) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Haskell Playhouse
This unique Queen Anne style playhouse was built in 1885 for five year old Lucy J. Haskell, daughter of Dr. William A. and Florence Hayner Haskell. It is believed Lucy's grandfather, John E. Hayner, commissioned prominent local architect, Lucas J. . . . — Map (db m133293) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — John Mason Peck
On this site in 1831, John Mason Peck (1789-1858), pioneer Baptist preacher, author, and educator, established the school which became Shurtleff College. In 1817, Peck had left his home in New England with a vision "to bring the lamp of learning and . . . — Map (db m139658) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Ruins of First State Prison in Illinois
Ruins of first state prison in Illinois. Built in 1830-31. Unsanitary conditions aroused persistent criticism from Dorothea Dix, pioneer in prison reform. All inmates were transferred to Joliet prior to 1860. During the Civil War many Confederate . . . — Map (db m144762) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Scott Bibb and the Alton School Desegregation Case(1897-1908)
Scott Bibb (1855-1909) was the plaintiff in the Alton School Case, a series of lawsuits that sought to retain Alton's desegregated schools, which had existed in Alton from 1872 to 1897, a short-lived outcome of the Reconstruction era. When Alton . . . — Map (db m133294) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — The Legend of the Piasa
In 1673 Jacques Marquette reported that he and fellow French explorer Louis Jolliet discovered a Painting of what was probably two "Water Monsters" on the bluffs of the Mississippi River near present day Alton. By 1700 those pictographic creatures . . . — Map (db m89339) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Collinsville — The D.D. Collins House
Built circa 1845 by Daniel Dove Collins (1814-1892) for his bride Elizabeth M. Anderson (1826-1902), the Collins House is an example of Greek revival architecture. As the first president of the Collinsville village board, Collins held board meetings . . . — Map (db m144010) HM
Illinois (Madison County), East Alton — Wann Railroad Disaster
The Wann Disaster of January 21, 1893, is Madison County’s most horrific railroad tragedy. It caused the greatest loss of life and cases of personal injury in a single incident. The accident occurred at the Wann Junction on the Big Four Railroad, . . . — Map (db m139657) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — Fort Russell
One quarter-mile to the west stood Fort Russell, a wooden stockade which served as a base of supplies and operations for the Illinois Militia during the War of 1812. From here, for months at a time, Governor Ninian Edwards administered the affairs . . . — Map (db m54759) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — Goshen Road Terminus
The Goshen Road was one of the main arteries of travel in the early 1800's, when Illinois was frontier country. The road ran in a northwesterly direction from Shawneetown to Edwardsville -- a distance of more than 150 miles. Shawneetown and . . . — Map (db m138859) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — Governor Coles and Slavery
Site of the courthouse where, in 1824, political enemies convicted Governor Edward Coles of illegally freeing his slaves. "To preserve to a continuous line of generations that liberty obtained by the valor of our forefathers, we must make . . . — Map (db m143182) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — LeClaire, Illinois
Social visionary N.O. Nelson founded the village of LeClaire in 1890, naming it after Edme Jean LeClaire, who inaugurated profit sharing in France. In contrast to unsanitary urban tenement districts, LeClaire was a model cooperative village offering . . . — Map (db m143190) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — The Mississippi River Festival
The once world-renowned concert venue Mississippi River Festival ("MRF") began as a pioneering experiment in regional cooperation between Southern Illinois University Edwardsville and the St. Louis Symphony. The Symphony was invited to establish . . . — Map (db m144301) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Granite City — Six Mile Prairie
Six Mile Prairie, located in the American Bottom six miles from St. Louis, was first settled in the 1830's by American farm families who migrated from the Upland south. With their crude farm implements, these pioneers broke through the tough prairie . . . — Map (db m138844) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Wood River — Lewis and Clark ExpeditionSee Historic Illinois
Meriwether Lewis and William Clark originally planned to camp west of the Mississippi River during the winter of 1803-04. Carlos Dehault Delassus, the Spanish commandant at St. Louis, however, had not received formal notification from his government . . . — Map (db m141787) HM
Illinois (Marion County), Salem — Salem, Illinois
Salem is locally known as the “Gateway to Little Egypt”. Egypt refers to southern Illinois. In the early days of statehood, crop failures threatened the existence of the isolated settlements in northern and central Illinois, and trips . . . — Map (db m99120) HM
Illinois (Marion County), Salem — William Jennings Bryan
Lived in Salem, Illinois, from his birth, March 19, 1860, until 1875. A national figure after his “Cross of Gold” speech in 1896, Bryan was the unsuccessful Democratic candidate for President in 1896, 1900, 1908, and served as Secretary . . . — Map (db m99119) HM
Illinois (Marshall County), Toluca — Toluca Coal Mine
In 1893 the Sante Fe Railroad authorized Charles Devlin, their manager of mining properties, to purchase the mineral rights here to 11,000 acres. The Devlin Coal Company sank two shafts and began producing coal using the longwall method, . . . — Map (db m33669) HM
Illinois (Massac County), Belknap — George Rogers Clark Campsite
Lt. Col. George Rogers Clark and his troop of 170 volunteers, principally Virginians, camped near this site, called Indian Point, on June 30, 1778. They were marching from Fort Massac to attack the British post at Kaskaskia. This was the first of . . . — Map (db m146332) HM
Illinois (Massac County), Brookport — Welcome to Illinois
In 1673 the areas of the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers were explored by Frenchmen Louis Jolliet and Father Jacques Marquette. Their voyages resulted in French claims on the area until 1763 when, by the Treaty of Paris, France ceded the land to . . . — Map (db m146313) HM
Illinois (Massac County), Metropolis — Illinois in the American Revolution
George Rogers Clark arrived at Fort Massac on June 30, 1778, with about 175 men, under orders from Virginia to capture the British outposts in Illinois. British failure to regarrison the old French fort here enabled Clark to enter the Illinois . . . — Map (db m60313) HM
Illinois (McHenry County), Barrington Hills — David Haeger School and Cemetery
This former school, now a residence, and cemetery were named for the David Haeger family, from Germany, who settled in this part of McHenry County. This area was the boyhood home of David Henry Haeger, the eldest son of the Haeger children, who . . . — Map (db m65892) HM
Illinois (McHenry County), Barrington Hills — Goodrich Homestead
In 1843 Ira C. Goodrich purchased this land from the United States Government. As an early settler to McHenry County, Goodrich founded the local school system, served as director and was road master. Farmsteads like this established by the early . . . — Map (db m65532) HM
Illinois (McHenry County), Hebron — Welcome to Illinois
In 1673 Louis Jolliet and Father Jacques Marquette explored the Illinois Country for France. By the 1763 treaty ending the French and Indian War, this area passed to England. During the American Revolution, George Rogers Clark's men captured it for . . . — Map (db m76530) HM
Illinois (McHenry County), McHenry — McHenry County’s First Couthouse1840-1844
McHenry County's first commissioners met in this building on August 5th, 1840. The original structure was built on the Court Street side of the public square, now Veterans Memorial Park, as McHenry County's first courthouse. McHenry County . . . — Map (db m76532) HM
Illinois (McLean County), Bloomington — David Davis Mansion
This Victorian Mansion was the home of Judge David Davis, an associate of Abraham Lincoln's. Construction began in 1870 and was completed in 1872. The house is built of yellow hard-burned face brick with stone quoins in the corners. It is 64 . . . — Map (db m12249) HM
Illinois (McLean County), Bloomington — Florence Fifer Bohrer(1877 - 1960)
The first woman elected to the Illinois Senate, Florence Fifer Bohrer served two terms from 1925 to 1933. She chaired the Senate committee to visit charitable institutions, led efforts to revamp Illinois' child welfare laws, and sponsored . . . — Map (db m55616) HM
Illinois (McLean County), Bloomington — Home of Adlai E. Stevenson I
This was the home of Adlai E. Stevenson I, Vice-President of the United States, 1893-1897. Stevenson was born in Kentucky in 1835 and came to Bloomington in 1852. He attended Illinois Wesleyan University in Bloomington and Centre College in . . . — Map (db m55614) HM
Illinois (McLean County), Bloomington — Home of Joseph W. Fifer
This was the home of Joseph W. Fifer, Republican Governor of Illinois, 1889-1893. Fifer was born in Virginia in 1840 and came to Illinois in 1857. During the Civil War he served in the 33rd Illinois Infantry Regiment. He graduated from Illinois . . . — Map (db m55615) HM
Illinois (Menard County), Athens — Long Nine Banquet Site
In this structure, built about 1832, residents of the Athens area held a banquet on August 3, 1837, for the 'Long Nine' - Abraham Lincoln and the other State legislators from Sangamon County. The men, whose height totaled fifty-four feet, were . . . — Map (db m78608) HM
Illinois (Menard County), Petersburg — Dr. Benjamin Franklin Stephenson1823 - 1871
Founder of the Grand Army of the Republic, Menard County resident, Rush Medical College graduate 1850, Surgeon 14th Illinois Volunteers 1861-1864. He originated the G.A.R. name, ritual and constitution of Post No. 1, Decatur April 6, 1866, called . . . — Map (db m12315) HM
Illinois (Menard County), Tallula — Lincoln’s Store Partner
William F. Berry, 1811 - 1835, is buried two miles west in the cemetery of Rock Creek Cumberland Presbyterian Church. His father, the Rev. John M. Berry, founded the church in 1822. Abraham Lincoln and Berry were partners in a store at New Salem in . . . — Map (db m78614) HM
Illinois (Menard County), Tallula — Mentor Graham1800 - 1886 — Teacher of Abraham Lincoln —
"I think I may say that he was my scholar and I was his teacher." At New Salem, Lincoln read Graham's books and in 1833 studied grammar and surveying. Teacher in Kentucky and Illinois more than fifty years, Graham died in South Dakota. In 1933 his . . . — Map (db m124185) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Maeystown — Maeystown
Maeystown, where three streams descend down the bluff, was founded by Jacob Maeys in 1852. The original settlers were German members of the forty-eighter movement. The village is unique in manner with structures integrated into the landscape. The . . . — Map (db m140382) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Wartburg — Holy Cross Lutheran Church of Wartburg
The church was organized in 1841 by pastor G. A. Schieferdecker and settlers from Saxony, Thuringia, and Westfalia, Germany. The site was donated in 1849 by Johann Christian and Katherine Just. The present church was erected in 1863, and the tower . . . — Map (db m140384) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Bellefontaine House
Bellefontaine was one of the first settlements made by Americans in what is now Illinois. The earliest settlers included families of Revolutionary War veterans who had served with George Rogers Clark. Captain James Moore brought a band of pioneers . . . — Map (db m140335) HM
Illinois (Montgomery County), Waggoner — The Coalfields of Illinois
Beneath us lies one of the nation's richest coal seams, formed 300 million years ago and covering two-thirds of Illinois. Coal made this state an industrial and economic powerhouse by the 1880s - it drove the machinery, heated the homes, smelted . . . — Map (db m149886) HM
Illinois (Morgan County), Jacksonville — Big Eli Wheel No. 17
"I have discovered the machine I want to design and build, a portable 'Ferris Wheel'", W. E. Sullivan, 1893.

A young man's dream became reality when W. E. Sullivan of Roodhouse, Illinois, designed and built a small, portable, revolving wheel, . . . — Map (db m57658) HM

Illinois (Morgan County), Jacksonville — First Illinois State Hospital for the Insane
Miss Dorothea Dix in her "memorial to the Senate and House of the Representatives of Illinois" urged their serious consideration of the afflicted condition of an increasing class of insane sufferers, whose healthful exercise of their intellectual . . . — Map (db m149907) HM
Illinois (Morgan County), Jacksonville — Greene Vardiman Black
G.V. Black, father of modern dentistry, was born in 1836 on a farm near Winchester, Illinois. He studied medicine and dentistry and in 1857 began his practice of dentistry in Winchester. After serving in the Civil War, he resumed dental practice in . . . — Map (db m57631) HM
Illinois (Morgan County), Jacksonville — The Farmers State Bank and Trust Company
The site of the Farmers State Bank and Trust Company Building, formerly known as the Ayers National Bank Building, has been associated with banking longer than any other site in the State of Illinois and possibly the entire Old Northwest. By . . . — Map (db m149896) HM
Illinois (Ogle County), Polo — Lincoln in Polo
Abraham Lincoln was a guest in this house, August 15-17, 1856. His host was Zenas Aplington, founder of Polo. On Saturday, August 16, John D. Campbell and James W. Carpenter, who were law partners in Polo, joined Lincoln and Aplington in a drive by . . . — Map (db m55803) HM
Illinois (Ogle County), Polo — The Galena Road
In the early 1830’s pioneer traffic moving north from Peoria crowded primitive trails and forced a direct route to Galena. In 1833, Levi Warner’s state survey marked the Galena Road. It cut through this schoolyard. Private Abraham Lincoln passed . . . — Map (db m55795) HM
Illinois (Ogle County), Stillman Valley — Stillmans Defeat
Here, on May 14, 1832, the first engagement of the Black Hawk War took place when 275 Illinois Militiamen under Maj. Isaiah Stillman were put to flight by Black Hawk and his warriors. So thoroughly demoralized were the volunteers that a new army had . . . — Map (db m59710) HM
Illinois (Peoria County), Brimfield — Zion Protestant Episcopal Church
Founded by the Rt. Rev. Philander Chase, first bishop of Illinois, 1845. Restored and rededicated by the Rt. Rev. William L. Essex, Bishop of Quincy Nov. 4, 1945. — Map (db m150540) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Aladdin — Illinois
The fertile prairies in Illinois attracted the attention of French trader Louis Jolliet and Father Jacques Marquette as they explored the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers in 1673. France claimed this region until 1763 when it was surrendered to Great . . . — Map (db m136729) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Atlas — Welcome to Illinois
In 1673 the areas of the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers were explored by Frenchmen Louis Joliet and Father Jacques Marquette. Their voyages resulted in French claims on the area until 1763 when, by the Treaty of Paris, France ceded the land to . . . — Map (db m78655) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Detroit — Earl C SmithAgricultural Leader
This was the home of distinguished agricultural leader, Earl Clemmons Smith, born in Pike County February 19, 1881. In 1907, Smith began farming his grandmother Clemmons' land at this site. Smith became active in the early national farm bureau . . . — Map (db m78648) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Griggsville — Mormontown Site
On February 22, 1839, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, refugees driven from Missouri under the “Extermination Order” of Governor Lilburn Boggs, settled on this site. The property was owned by Thomas Edwards, . . . — Map (db m78649) HM
Illinois (Pulaski County), Mound City — The Marine Ways
During the Civil War the naval depot of the western river fleet was located at Mound City. Here the keels of three of the famous Eads ironclad gunboats were laid, and a large force of workmen were employed to keep the fleet in fighting trim. The . . . — Map (db m144869) HM
Illinois (Pulaski County), Mound City — United States Military Hospital
The southern portion of the brick building at the Ohio levee, 150 yards east of here, was part of a large warehouse which was converted into a Military Hospital in 1861 and staffed during the Civil War by the Sisters of the Holy Cross. Following the . . . — Map (db m144868) HM
Illinois (Randolph County), Kaskaskia — Illinois in the American Revolution
George Rogers Clark's capture of Kaskaskia in July, 1778, doomed British control of the Illinois country. The occupation of Kaskaskia was the first step in Clark's plan to capture the western headquarters of the British at Detroit. Under . . . — Map (db m143482) HM
Illinois (Rock Island County), Hillsdale — Black Hawk War Campsite
In 1832 when Black Hawk and his Sauk and Fox followers returned to Illinois, 1500 mounted volunteers advanced along the banks of the Rock River to capture them. 505 men under Colonel Zachary Taylor followed in supply boats and late at night on May . . . — Map (db m78266) HM
Illinois (Rock Island County), Milan — Lincoln and the Black Hawk War
On May 8, 1832, while encamped approximately one mile west of this point, Abraham Lincoln was mustered into the military service of the United States. Captain Lincoln's company was mustered into state service at Beardstown April 28, the day before . . . — Map (db m32972) HM
Illinois (Rock Island County), Rock Island — Fort Armstrong
Fort Armstrong was built in 1816-1817. Its riverside was protected by limestone bluffs and its other sides were formed in part by the rear walls of barracks and storehouses. Blockhouses, like the replica, stood at three corners. The pyramid of . . . — Map (db m33225) HM
Illinois (Rock Island County), Silvis — Hero Street, U.S.A.
Hero Street, U.S.A. received its name in 1968 to honor the fifty-seven servicemen from thirty-three families on this block-and-a-half who served in defense of America between 1941 and 1968. Six men died in World War II and two in the Korean . . . — Map (db m33236) HM
Illinois (Saline County), Carrier Mills — Carrier Mills Archaeological District
This area of some 143 acres located approximately two miles south of Carrier Mills was inhabited by prehistoric people throughout three different archaeological periods. Until the turn of the century, the South Fork of the Saline River was a . . . — Map (db m146461) HM
Illinois (Saline County), Eldorado — Homestead of Judge Samuel Elder
Here was located the home of Samuel Elder, cofounder of Elder-Redo now called Eldorado. Judge of the county court 1849-1856, school commissioner, collector, Internal Revenue, Justice of the Peace, and farmer. He and his son, William, together with . . . — Map (db m146459) HM
Illinois (Sangamon County), Springfield — Abraham Lincoln and the Talisman
Prior to the coming of the railroads, Springfield was handicapped by inadequate transportation facilities. Early in 1832, Vincent A. Bogue, Springfield businessman and promoter, planned to supply the Sangamon River region with steamboat service. He . . . — Map (db m54765) HM
Illinois (Sangamon County), Springfield — Camp Butler
Camp Butler was established in 1861as a Civil War training camp and mobilization center for Illinois recruits. Selected by State officials and Brigadier General William T. Sherman and named for Illinois State Treasurer William Butler (1859-1863), . . . — Map (db m51876) HM
Illinois (Sangamon County), Springfield — Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices
This portion of the Tinsley Building, a merchant block constructed in 1840-1841, is the only surviving structure in which Abraham Lincoln maintained a law office. Intended originally for commercial use, much of the building was rented for other . . . — Map (db m4656) HM
Illinois (Sangamon County), Springfield — Old State Capitol
The Old State Capitol was the fifth Statehouse in Illinois history. The building served as Capitol from 1839 to 1876. Its cornerstone was laid during ceremonies held July 4, 1837. During the 1840s and 1850s the building dominated Springfield's . . . — Map (db m4821) HM
Illinois (Sangamon County), Springfield — The Lincoln Depot
From this building on February 11, 1861 Abraham Lincoln departed Springfield, Illinois to assume the Presidency of the United States. After bidding farewell to a number of friends, he delivered a brief, spontaneous and moving farewell address to the . . . — Map (db m4595) HM
Illinois (Schuyler County), Beardstown — The Base Line Survey
Nearby is one of two sites in Illinois that serve as the basis for all land surveys in the state. It is the point just northwest of Beardstown, where the 4th principal meridian intersects its base line. Originally, land was measured by "metes . . . — Map (db m24943) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Gustavus Koerner1809-1896
Gustavus Koerner came to Belleville from Germany in 1833. He took a law degree from the University of Heidleberg in 1832. Shortly after, he was arrested during a political demonstration. He escaped and joined a party of emigrants. In Illinois his . . . — Map (db m140531) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — John Messinger, 1771-1846
John Messinger received a formal education in New England before settling on the Illinois frontier in 1802. After serving as St. Clair County Surveyor, he was appointed Deputy United States Surveyor and platted much of the government land between . . . — Map (db m140532) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — French-Colonial Home Site Of Jean Baptiste Hamelin
With this marker we honor Captain Jean Baptiste Hamelin and the citizens of Cahokia for their sacrifice, and the role they played in the American Revolutionary War. In the latter days of the Revolutionary War, both American and British had ambitions . . . — Map (db m132349) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — Illinois in the American Revolution
George Rogers Clark captured Kaskaskia on the night of July 4-5, 1778, and then sent a small company under Captain Joseph Bowman northward to Cahokia. Bowman met no resistance from the French settlers along the way, and took possession of Cahokia on . . . — Map (db m140497) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), Cahokia — John Jacob Hays(1770-1836)
John Jacob Hays was born in New York circa 1770. His family emigrated to North America from the Netherlands in 1720. The Hays family belongs to Congregation Shearith Israel, the oldest Jewish Congregation in the United States.

John Jacob Hays . . . — Map (db m140422) HM

Illinois (St. Clair County), Freeburg — The Mississippi Bubble
"They related that there are mines of gold and silver.... There is reason to believe that the French who will settle among the Illinois Indians will make all these rich discoveries when the colony becomes more thickly populated." Thus, John Law, . . . — Map (db m143282) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), Lebanon — The Deneen Family
On this site stood the home of the Deneen family long associated with the history of McKendree College -- Rev. William L. Deneen; Professor Samuel H. Deneen; and Charles S. Deneen, Governor of Illinois, 1905-1913, and US Senator, 1925-1931. They . . . — Map (db m143284) HM
Illinois (Stephenson County), Cedarville — Cedarville
Birthplace of Jane Addams 1860 - 1935 Humanitarian, Feminist, Social Worker, Reformer, Educator, Author, Publicist, Founder of Hull House, Pioneer, Settlement Center Chicago, 1889. President Women's International League for Peace and, Freedom. Nobel . . . — Map (db m128729) HM
Illinois (Tazewell County), Tremont — Tremont Courthouse1839 - 1850
Abraham Lincoln attended court in the fine two story rectangular brick courthouse with four Grecian columns and copper dome on this site. Here in 1842 he was challenged to a duel by James Shields. Lincoln last spoke here August 30, 1858. — Map (db m12184) HM
Illinois (Warren County), Monmouth — Founding of Pi Beta Phi Fraternity
On April 28, 1867, the National Women's Fraternity Movement began here in the home of Jacob Holt. In a second floor bedroom, shared by Ada Bruen and Libbie Brook, twelve Monmouth College co-eds founded I.C. Sorosis, known today by its Greek motto, . . . — Map (db m55447) HM
Illinois (Warren County), Monmouth — Wyatt Earp Birthplace
Wyatt Berry Stapp Earp, famous for the 1881 gunfight at the O.K. Corral in Tombstone, Arizona Territory, was born on March 19, 1848, in Monmouth. According to family history, his birthplace is located at 406 South 3rd Street. When Earp was two, his . . . — Map (db m55448) HM
Illinois (Washington County), Irvington — Illinois Agricultural College
Illinois agricultural College at Irvington was the first college in the state for instruction in scientific and practical agricultural methods. It was chartered by the Illinois General Assembly in 1861 and opened in 1866. The main buildings were . . . — Map (db m146179) HM
Illinois (Whiteside County), Prophetstown — Prophetstown
Prophetstown occupies the site of the village of the Winnebago Prophet, which the Illinois volunteers destroyed on May 10, 1832, in the first act of hostility in the Black Hawk War. — Map (db m78268) HM
Illinois (Whiteside County), Rock Falls — Illinois and Mississippi Canal
Construction on the “Hennepin Canal,” as it was commonly known, began in 1892 and was completed in 1907 at a cost of more than seven million dollars. The main canal extended 75 miles from the Illinois River near Hennepin to the Rock . . . — Map (db m78269) HM

204 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 4
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2020