Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Wisconsin Historical Society Historical Markers

Markers of the Wisconsin Historical Markers Program administered by the Wisconsin Historical Society.546 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 346
 
South Arkdale Cemetery image, Touch for more information
By Keith L, April 19, 2008
South Arkdale Cemetery
Wisconsin (Adams County), Arkdale — 390 — Site of the First Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Roche-a-Cri
In 1850, a group of Norwegian settlers from Koshkonong, the foremost Norwegian settlement colony in the United States at the time, left their southern Wisconsin home and migrated north, settling here in "Roch-a-Cree" or Roche-a-Cri. Imbued with . . . — Map (db m36123) HM
Wisconsin (Adams County), Friendship — 260 — Roche-A-Cri State Park
This prominent butte, perhaps the steepest hill in Wisconsin, was called La Roche-a-Cri by 17th and 18th century French voyageurs. Rising 300 feet above the surrounding plain, this landmark undoubtedly guided Indians and early pioneers. Indians of . . . — Map (db m19822) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Ashland — 304 — Fleet Admiral William D. Leahy
William Daniel Leahy was born in Iowa in 1875 and his family soon moved to Wisconsin. He graduated from Ashland High School in 1892 and for the rest of his life considered Ashland his home town. Leahy graduated from the Naval Academy and served . . . — Map (db m48412) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Ashland — 224 — Northland College
North Wisconsin Academy, founded in 1892 by the Congregational Churches, provided the first high school education available to young people of the small, isolated lumber camp, sawmill and farm communities in the area known as the Great Lakes Pinery, . . . — Map (db m48411) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Ashland — 6 — Radisson-Groseilliers Fort
A crude structure of boughs of trees “layed acrosse, one upon an other” was erected near here by Pierre Radisson and Medart Groseilliers in 1659. The two French traders came to Chequamegon Bay from Montreal and Radisson's account of . . . — Map (db m48410) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), Glidden — 54 — Great Divide
You are now on the great divide which seperates the two principal drainage areas of Wisconsin. Water falling to the north of this point finds its way into Lake Superior, then down through the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River 2,000 miles into . . . — Map (db m47222) HM
Wisconsin (Ashland County), La Pointe — 108 — Madeline IslandKnown to the Ojibway Indians as Moningwunakauning, "The Home of The Golden Breasted Woodpecker"
The largest of the Apostle Islands was one of the earliest areas of Indian settlement, fur trade, missionary activity and commercial fishing in the interior of North America. It was discovered by French explorers in 1659. Trading posts were built . . . — Map (db m57662) HM
Wisconsin (Barron County), Chetek — 218 — Pine Was King
Vast forests of virgin white pine were the treasure which brought the first wave of white settlers to Northern Wisconsin. The farms came later, but for half a century the forests were local history. In 1847, the Knapp, Stout & Co. purchased . . . — Map (db m45069) HM
Wisconsin (Barron County), Dobie — 469 — Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church
The congregation for this church traces its roots back to 1870 when people first held services in their homes in what was originally called Stanfold. This community later became Dobie. Their first Catholic church was built in 1876 but was destroyed . . . — Map (db m45151) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Bayfield — Schooner PretoriaHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places In the waters off Outer Island lies the wreck of the Pretoria, one of the largest wooden vessels ever to sail the Great lakes. On September 1, 1905, Captain Charles Smart and nine crew . . . — Map (db m98244) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Cornucopia — 28 — Tragedy of The Siskiwit
Once upon a time, according to an old Indian legend, the sand beach on the east side of this bay was a favorite camping ground. One spring a few lodges of Chippewa from La Pointe encamped here. When their chief, Bi-aus-wah, returned from the hunt, . . . — Map (db m30843) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Herbster — 522 — "The Gym"
When the community sought funding for a new gymnasium and town hall, they looked to the Work Progress Administration, a depression-era program, which utilized local materials and labor to create jobs for unemployed workers. Architect Roland C. Buck . . . — Map (db m36553) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Port Wing — 145 — School Consolidation
As the 20th century began, logging operations were in full swing in this area and the small log schoolhouses could not handle the increasing number of students. Some classes were held in churches but additional facilities were needed. T.N. . . . — Map (db m30845) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — 49 — Madeline Island
To the east is Madeline Island, known to the Ojibway as Moning-wunakauning, “The Home of the Golden Breasted Woodpecker.” The French soldier Pierre le Sueur built his post there in 1693. In 1718 a fort was erected which remained France’s . . . — Map (db m30844) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Allouez — 239 — Heritage Hill State Park
This park, built to portray and preserve Wisconsin's beginnings, is located on a site that is itself a part of history. On this 40-acre site stood Camp Smith--a temporary location of Fort Howard--part of the pioneer settlement known as Shantytown, . . . — Map (db m10544) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — 189 — Marquette–Jolliet
Here in June, 1673, an expedition headed by Jesuit priest Jacques Marquette and his companion Louis Jolliet departed from St. Francis Xavier Mission to find and explore the upper Mississippi River. In September they returned here to record their . . . — Map (db m10393) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — 266 — Rapides des PeresVoyageur Park
The rapids at De Pere were well known to all early travelers along the Fox and Wisconsin rivers, which provided the best access to the Mississippi. Despite Indian domination, the waterway served explorers, fur traders and voyageurs, missionaries, . . . — Map (db m11053) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — 262 — White Pillars
This building was erected in 1836 to serve as the office of the Fox River Hydraulic Company, which was chartered by Wisconsin's first Territorial Legislature to construct a dam at Rapides des Peres. Following the 1837 financial crisis, notes issued . . . — Map (db m10887) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Denmark — 373 — Denmark
In 1848, immigrants from Langeland, Denmark, seeking economic opportunity and plentiful farmland, settled in this vicinity. The Danes purchased land here and called their early settlement "Copenhagen," later changed to Denmark. In subse­quent years, . . . — Map (db m22453) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 494 — Cnesses Israel Synagogue
Upon this site stood Cnesses Israel Synagogue, the first Jewish congregation in Brown County dedicated September 4, 1904 (24 Elul 5664). Designed by local architect Henry A. Foeller, the synagogue was Moorish in design and had two octagonal towers . . . — Map (db m51362) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 237 — Green Bay Packers
The Green Bay Packers, an institution and a legend, are unique. The only publicly-owned club in professional sports, they were founded as a town team in 1919 by E. L. "Curly" Lambeau, who coached them to six world championships. They acquired . . . — Map (db m37200) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 156 — Hazelwood
On this site Morgan L. Martin (1805-87) built this home in 1837, after his marriage to Elizabeth Smith of Plattsburgh, N.Y. It was a center of social, literary and political accomplishment for nearly a century. Coming here in 1827 as a young . . . — Map (db m37202) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 540 — Historic Green Bay Road
In 1829, citizens of the Green Bay area petitioned Congress to build a road to Chicago. Following an ancient Indian trail, the military road to connect Fort Howard at Green Bay with Fort Dearborn at Chicago was surveyed by the U.S. War Department . . . — Map (db m68166) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 62 — Red Banks
Many of the explorers who followed Columbus were more interested in finding an easy route to Asia than they were in exploring and settling this continent. In 1634 Jean Nicolet, emissary of Gov. Samuel de Champlain of New France, landed at Red Banks . . . — Map (db m22457) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Lawrence — 105 — Eleazer Williams
This site is part of a 4800-acre tract patented to Eleazer Williams by the United States. In 1882 Williams led a delegation of New York Indians to the Fox River Valley, hoping to set up an Indian Empire in the West. A year later he married the . . . — Map (db m57219) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Oneida — 502 — Revolutionary War Veteran
James Powlis, whose Oneida name Tewakatelyλ·thale! means "I'm Worried", was born around 1750, probably in New York State. In 1777, after the disintegration of the Iroquois Confederacy's neutrality, Congress sought to offset the allegiance of . . . — Map (db m11097) HM
Wisconsin (Buffalo County), Alma — 230 — Beef Slough
The Beef Slough was a sluggish branch of the Chippewa River that provided an excellent storage pond for the logs floated downstream by numerous logging companies. Here loggers were employed to arrange the mixed-up logs into orderly rafts to be towed . . . — Map (db m10103) HM
Wisconsin (Burnett County), Grantsburg — 241 — Crex Meadows
During the last Wisconsin glaciation the advance of the Grantsburg sublobe blocked drainage, resulting in the formation of Glacial Lake Grantsburg. Natural succession eventually formed the extensive peat marshes known today as Crex Meadows. Prior . . . — Map (db m68641) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), Brothertown — 425 — The Brothertown Indians of Wisconsin
The Brothertown (Brotherton) are descendants of the Pequot and Mohegan (Algonquin-speaking) tribes in southern New England. They became a tribe in 1769 when seven Christian and English-speaking communities organized and moved to land in upstate New . . . — Map (db m31792) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), New Holstein — 419 — New Holstein
"If I cannot be the citizen of free Germany, then I would at least be a citizen of free America" --Carl Schurz, German Revolutionary Leader, 1848 In 1848, a small group of immigrants from the Schleswig-Holstein area of . . . — Map (db m46184) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), New Holstein — 525 — St. Martin’s Church
In 1853, a group of German Catholics from Silesia, Prussia, emigrated to the Charlestown area. By 1866, the congregation had built a log church where they could assemble for services. They erected the current church in 1875, using limestone from a . . . — Map (db m53326) HM
Wisconsin (Calumet County), Stockbridge — 416 — Stockbridge Harbor
Around A.D. 1100, there was a large Native American village on the north side of Stockbridge Harbor. The pottery recovered from archaeological excavations at this site indicates that the villagers came from two formerly distinct cultural groups. . . . — Map (db m31799) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 222 — Nation's First Cooperative Generating Station
On Sunday, May 2, 1937, Wisconsin Power Cooperative was organized by an assembly of farmers for the purpose of developing a generating and transmission facility to provide low-cost electric service for the rural areas of Buffalo, Chippewa, Clark, . . . — Map (db m13798) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 330 — Northern Wisconsin Center for the Developmentally Disabled
Before the 19th-century social reform movement, developmentally disabled people were relegated to almshouses and county poor farms where the “indigent, insane, epileptic and “idiotic” were housed together without regard to . . . — Map (db m13297) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 427 — Northern Wisconsin State Fair
Primarily rural in the 19th century, Wisconsin promoted the state fair to advance better state farming practices. Since 1851 to the present, this fair has been held in southern Wisconsin. Recognizing the impracticality of entering or attending the . . . — Map (db m13318) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cobban — 278 — The Cobban Bridge
The Cobban Bridge, constructed in 1908 by the Modern Steel Structural Company of Waukesha, is a two-span Pennsylvania overhead truss type bridge and is the oldest of its kind in Wisconsin. Originally it crossed the Chippewa River just upstream from . . . — Map (db m12761) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Cornell — 429 — Cornell Pulpwood Stacker
In 1912, after a permanent dam was built across the Chippewa River near this location, the Cornell Wood Products Company, a large paper milling operation, began production here. The company manufactured paper products, cardboard and wallboard. The . . . — Map (db m45015) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Jim Falls — 14 — Old Abe, the War Eagle
This wayside is part of the old McCann farm, childhood home of Old Abe, the War Eagle. In the Spring of 1861 a band of hungry Chippewa came to the McCann farm and traded a young eagle for corn. The eagle became a family pet. When Company C, Eighth . . . — Map (db m13984) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Colby — 161 — The Home of Colby Cheese
At his father's cheese factory about one mile south and one mile west of here, Joseph F. Steinwand in 1885 developed a new and unique type of cheese. He named it for the township in which his father, Ambrose Steinwand, Sr., had built northern Clark . . . — Map (db m9189) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Thorp — 537 — St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony
St. Hedwig's In 1891, a wooden church was built and named St. Hedwig's for a queen of Poland. In 1904, the present-day structure was built and accommodated the growing congregation with seating for 700 people. Members of the congregation . . . — Map (db m48771) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — 324 — Governor James Taylor Lewis / Governor Lewis: Civil War Era
Governor James Taylor Lewis · 1819 – 1904 Governor James T. Lewis, the ninth Governor of Wisconsin (1864-66), led the state through the tumultuous conclusion of the Civil War. He was born in New Your State and in 1845 settled in . . . — Map (db m22918) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Merrimac — 187 — The Merrimac Ferry
Merrimac’s first permanent settler, Chester Mattson, obtained a territorial charter in 1848 to provide ferry service across the Wisconsin River. The State Legislature of 1851 authorized a road, subsequently to become State Trunk Highway 113, to . . . — Map (db m1932) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Pardeeville — 423 — Historic Pardeeville / Belmont Hotel
Historic Pardeeville In 1848, New York native and Milwaukee merchant, John S. Pardee hired agents to oversee his Fox River land holdings and to establish business operations from this location. Yates Ashley, the most notable of Pardee's . . . — Map (db m22896) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 61 — Fort Winnebago
In the autumn of 1828 a permanent fort was built on this site by the First Regiment of the United States Infantry under the command of Maj. David E. Twiggs, later a general in the Confederate Army. The fort was constructed primarily to control the . . . — Map (db m2364) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 317 — Frederick Jackson Turner1861 – 1932
Considered the most important historian of the United States in the twentieth century, Frederick Jackson Turner brought a new understanding to the meaning of the American experience. He was born in Portage; his father was Andrew Jackson Turner, a . . . — Map (db m20029) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 451 — Ketchum’s Point
Ketchum’s Point, named for a local family, stands above the low, marshy Portage connecting the Fox River and Great Lakes with the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers. This waterway served as a vital thoroughfare for supplies and furs during the fur . . . — Map (db m2407) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 63 — Marquette
On June 14, 1673 Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet started the portage (1.28 miles) from here to the Wisconsin River, which led to their discovery of the Upper Mississippi June 17, 1673 at Prairie du Chien. The expedition, in two birch bark . . . — Map (db m2341) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 106 — Potters' Emigration Society
Near here in 1849 Thomas Twiggs began a settlement of unemployed potters from Staffordshire, England. To help farmers on both sides of the Fox River reach his store and blacksmith shop at Twiggs' Landing, he operated Emancipation Ferry, named to . . . — Map (db m20084) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 480 — Society Hill Historic District
This 137 building district is bounded, in part, by Emmett, Cass, Wisconsin and MacFarlane streets. Most of the houses were constructed between 1870 and 1910 and are in the Italianate and Queen Anne architectural styles. Society Hill reflects . . . — Map (db m20042) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — 513 — Zona Gale
Zona Gale was born August 26, 1874, in Portage. She graduated in 1899 from the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a Masters in Literature. Gale then spent six years as a journalist in Milwaukee and New York. Her visits to Portage . . . — Map (db m20009) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — 29 — John Muir View
John Muir (1838-1914), world famous naturalist and "father of the national park system," often stopped to rest and admire this view as he walked from his home in Marquette County to the University of Wisconsin. Muir loved the wilderness from which . . . — Map (db m20148) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — 259 — Rest Areas on the I-Roads
Early roadside rest areas were rural school grounds and country churchyards with their two little houses in back. In Wisconsin, by 1920, curves were built to eliminate sharp road corners. Local garden clubs, with the American Legion and . . . — Map (db m22690) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — 178 — The Circus
Wisconsin has a unique heritage as the birthplace of circuses. More than a hundred had their beginnings in Wisconsin, with Delavan providing winter-quarters for twenty-six between 1847 and 1894. New York brothers Edmund and Jeremiah Mabie brought . . . — Map (db m109259) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — 545 — Wallis Rowan and His Cabin
Wallis/Wallace Rowan (1800-1847) was born in Kentucky of Scotch Irish descent. He was a lead miner, trader, innkeeper, land speculator, farmer, and mill owner. In 1818 he married Elizabeth “Betsy” Metcalf in Illinois. By 1828 Rowan was . . . — Map (db m67233) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — 177 — Kingsley Bend Indian Mounds
The mounds of this group are a fairly representative sample of those built by the people of the Effigy Mound Culture between A.D. 700-1000. It has been through excavation of other burial mounds quite similar to these that archeologists have learned . . . — Map (db m7731) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — 447 — Stroud Bank
Perry G. Stroud, a young attorney from New York, established this early bank in Kilbourn City, now Wisconsin Dells, in ca. 1870. Over his thirty-year career as the town's first attorney, Stroud preserved much of the city's early documentary history. . . . — Map (db m7850) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wyocena — 468 — Major Elbert Dickason / Dickason's "Hotel"
Major Elbert Dickason Major Elbert Dickason founder of Wyocena, was born in Virginia in 1799. He moved to Illinois where he joined their militia during the Black Hawk War. Representing a Milwaukee land investor, he founded Columbus in 1839. . . . — Map (db m22839) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Ferryville — 528 — Patrick Joseph LuceyGovernor of Wisconsin, 1971 – 1977
Patrick J. Lucey was born in La Crosse on March 21, 1918, to Ferryville parents, Gregory C. and Ella McNamara Lucey. He was educated at Campion Academy, College of St. Thomas, and the University of Wisconsin. Lucey served in the U.S. Army . . . — Map (db m35407) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Gays Mills — 23 — Gays Mills Apple Orchards
Farmers in this area learned early that the land on both sides of the Kickapoo River offered excellent conditions for apple-growing. In 1905 John Hays and Ben Twining collected apples from eight or ten farmers around Gays Mills for exhibit at the . . . — Map (db m31676) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Lynxville — 149 — Rafting on the Mississippi
After 1837 the vast timber resources of northern Wisconsin were eagerly sought by settlers moving into the mid-Mississippi valley. By 1847 there were more than thirty saw-mills on the Wisconsin, Chippewa, and St. Croix river systems, cutting largely . . . — Map (db m23456) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — 431 — Black Hawk's Surrender
On August 2, 1832, the Black Hawk War effectively ended when the U.S. Military massacred many followers of Sauk Indian leader Black Hawk at the Battle of Bad Axe, located about 35 miles north of here. Black Hawk, known as Ma-ka-tai-me-she-kia-kiak, . . . — Map (db m43531) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — 91 — Museum of Medical ProgressSite of Second Fort Crawford Military Hospital
The Second Fort Crawford Military Hospital was built here in 1831. In 1934 this portion of it was restored with original stone as a memorial to William Beaumont, M.D. (1785-1853), pioneer military surgeon. Among prominent military personnel . . . — Map (db m43641) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — 188 — Pere Marquette and Sieur Jolliet
In 1673, Louis Jolliet, Canadian fur-trader and explorer, and Father Jacques Marquette, French Jesuit Missionary, with five French Canadian boatmen, were the first white men to enter the upper Mississippi River. Indians directed them to the . . . — Map (db m43530) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — 116 — Prairie du Chien
In prehistoric times water from melting glaciers cut a wide valley between the bluffs of the Mississippi River to form a broad flood plain. On it French explorers, traders and missionaries found a large and well-established Fox Indian village. The . . . — Map (db m43529) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — 432 — Site of the Second Fort Crawford1829 – 1856
The first Fort Crawford was built in 1816, and stood on the site now occupied by the "Villa Louis." After a decade of Mississippi River flooding, the U. S. Army relocated Fort Crawford to this site, constructing the new fort of locally quarried . . . — Map (db m43532) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — 474 — Villa Louis
This hilltop mansion commands a sweeping view of a landscape steeped in history. Descendants of pioneer fur trader Hercules Dousman built the house in 1870 atop a mound overlooking the Mississippi River, which drew European explores to this spot in . . . — Map (db m23586) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — 10 — Villa Louis
On the site of old Fort Crawford, Col. Hercules Louis Dousman, important agent in John J. Astor's fur company, built his "house on the mound" in 1843. Later it was named Villa Louis. Today this luxurious mansion appears much as it did in the days . . . — Map (db m23589) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — 142 — War of 1812
Although Prairie du Chien belonged to the United States after the American Revolution, its pioneer residents were tied by trade, tradition and family to the French-British community at Mackinac and to the St. Lawrence River ports. During the . . . — Map (db m23591) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Soldiers Grove — 112 — James Davidson
Product of a small American community, James 0. Davidson's life illustrates the romance of citizenship in a democracy. Born 1854 in Norway, where he received little formal education, he emigrated in 1872 and was a farmer and tailor before coming in . . . — Map (db m31671) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Soldiers Grove — 405 — Soldiers Grove Origin
In late July, during the Black Hawk War of 1832, Sac Indian leader Black Hawk led his starving followers through this area in their escape from the General Henry Atkinson and his military forces. After Black Hawk's brilliant delaying tactics at the . . . — Map (db m31659) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Belleville — 329 — Primrose Lutheran Church
In the mid-nineteenth century, many newly arrived Norwegian immigrants in southern Wisconsin depended upon the spiritual and practical guidance of itinerant Lutheran ministers to help successfully adapt to the new land. One of the most influential . . . — Map (db m55047) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — 18 — Brigham Park
Ebenezer Brigham (1789-1861), first permanent white settler of Dane County, came here as a prospector in 1828. The inn he built for his miners became popular with travelers on the old Military Road, and Blue Mounds became a well-known landmark. . . . — Map (db m36125) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Fitchburg — 364 — The McCoy Farmhouse
Located on one of Dane County's earliest and most successful tobacco farms, the cream-brick-Italianate McCoy Farmhouse was built by Benjamin Brown in 1861. Tobacco growing began here in 1853 and boomed during the Civil War when Southern tobacco . . . — Map (db m33682) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 84 — 9XM - WHA"The Oldest Station in the Nation"
On this campus pioneer research and experimentation in "wireless" led to successful transmissions of voice and music in 1917, and the beginning of broadcasting on a scheduled basis in 1919. Experimental station 9XM transmitted telegraphic . . . — Map (db m33629) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 111 — Camp Randall
From these historic grounds went forth Wisconsin's sons to fight for the preservation of the nation in the American Civil War -- 1861-1865. More than 70,000 men trained for service within the boundaries of this camp named after Alexander W. Randall, . . . — Map (db m31743) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 351 — Ceramic Arts Studio of Madison
Once located at this site on North Blount Street, the Ceramic Arts Studio of Madison operated from 1940 until its closing in 1956. Founded by Lawrence Rabbitt and Reuben Sand, the company was one of the largest manufacturers of figurines in the . . . — Map (db m31833) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 365 — John Mann House
Once the centerpiece of a 130 acre farm, this stone house and adjacent outbuildings were built by New York native John Mann in 1856. Of classical proportions, the vernacular Mann House displays a mixture of Greek Revival and Italianate architectural . . . — Map (db m33643) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 202 — North Hall
The first building erected by the University of Wisconsin-Madison was North Hall, opened as North Dormitory for men on September 17, 1851. It was built of Madison sandstone at a cost of $19,000. Initially, the first three floors housed from 50 to 65 . . . — Map (db m31583) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 382 — Peck Cabin
Once located here, Peck Cabin -- Madison's first residence, business and post office -- was built by entrepreneurs Ebenezer and Roseline Peck in 1837. Constructing their cabin with adjoining additions near the new territorial capitol site, the Pecks . . . — Map (db m31701) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 459 — Site of Former Greenbush Cemetery Burials
Nineteenth century cemeteries were sometimes relocated as a community expanded. In 1845, land was purchased for a cemetery in the Greenbush neighborhood of Madison where St. Marys Hospital is located today. The cemetery became overcrowded with . . . — Map (db m27060) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 37 — State Historical Society
Dedicated to the conservation, advancement and dissemination of the American heritage, the Society was founded in 1846, chartered in 1853. Legislative support, the first bestowed in any state, began in 1854; the Society became a state agency in . . . — Map (db m31582) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 387 — The Dean House / Nathaniel Dean
Marker Front: The Dean House This simple flat-roofed cream brick structure with wood cornice and dentils was built by the Dean family as their country home. After 1871, the home was used by tenant farmers and in the 1920's as the Monona . . . — Map (db m31790) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 397 — Third Lake Passage
On July 20th, during the Black Hawk War of 1832, Black Hawk led about 700 Sac, Fox and Kickapoo Indians past this point and through the “Third Lake Passage,” the juncture of the Yahara River and Lake Monona. By sunset, the military also . . . — Map (db m31777) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 396 — Tragedy of War
On July 21, 1832, during the Black Hawk War, the U.S. Militia "passed through the narrows of the four lakes," Madison's Isthmus, in pursuit of Sac Indian leader Black Hawk and his band. Near this location, the Militia shot and scalped an old Sac . . . — Map (db m31700) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 340 — Yahara River Parkway
In January 1903, the leader of Madison's park development and President of the Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association, John M. Olin, presented a grand development plan for the Yahara River to city leaders. The plan called for deepening, . . . — Map (db m32644) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Marxville — 399 — Indian Lake Passage
On July 21, 1832, during the Black Hawk War, Sac Indian leader Black Hawk and his band left Pheasant Branch, west of Madison, retreating ahead of the military forces commanded by Colonels Ewing and Dodge. The band fled north following a route past . . . — Map (db m31806) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Mazomanie — 337 — Mazomanie
In 1850, the Milwaukee and Mississippi Rail Road Company began building a line to span the lower third of Wisconsin between Milwaukee and Prairie du Chien. Chief Engineer Edward Brodhead concluded that this area's topographical features were ideal . . . — Map (db m19472) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), McFarland — 125 — Stephen Moulton Babcock1843 – 1931
Stephen Moulton Babcock came to the University of Wisconsin faculty in 1887 and remained until his death in 1931. His life was filled with a great eagerness to know and a persistent desire to serve. He is best known for the perfection of the . . . — Map (db m71752) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Middleton — 398 — Pheasant Branch Encampment
On the night of July 20th, during the Black Hawk War of 1832, Sac Indian leader Black Hawk and his followers camped near this location. Desperate for food and frightened by the approaching military, the Indians fled northwest towards the Wisconsin . . . — Map (db m31753) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Monona — 498 — Royal Airport / Charles Lindbergh
Royal Airport The site of an airplane landing field, hangars, flying schools and stunt shows, this field was the center of Madison aviation from 1926 to 1938, mainly through the efforts of Howard Morey and his founding of Madison Airways . . . — Map (db m37008) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Monona — 384 — The Outlet Mound
The largest of nineteen conical, oval and linear mounds once located in this vicinity, the Outlet Mound was constructed as a burial place by Woodland Indians about 2,000 years ago. It was saved from destruction by the Wisconsin Archaeological . . . — Map (db m19958) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Oregon — 470 — Revolutionary War Veteran
Nathaniel Ames, whose grave is near the crest of this hill, was born on April 25, 1761, in Scituate, Rhode Island. He first enlisted in the Continental Army at the age of 18 and served several short enlistments under General George Washington over . . . — Map (db m35341) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Sauk City — 395 — Battle of Wisconsin Heights
On July 21, 1832, during a persistent rainstorm, the 65-year old Sac Indian leader, Black Hawk, led 60 of his Sac and Fox and Kickapoo warriors in a holding action against 700 United States militia at this location. The conflict, known as the . . . — Map (db m32301) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Stoughton — East Park Historic District
The origin of the East Park neighborhood begins in 1879, when local residents formed the Stoughton Fair Association. They built a racetrack, a grandstand and held the first Stoughton Fair here that same year. This venture was short-lived. By 1890, . . . — Map (db m84365) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Stoughton — 361 — Main Street Historic District
This district is a collection of Victorian and early 20th-century commercial buildings, largely built between 1860 and 1910. Once southern Dane County's mercantile center, the district provided extensive retail and professional services. Extending . . . — Map (db m22708) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Stoughton — 3 — Robert Marion La Follette, Sr.1855-1925
Wisconsin's most famous political leader and greatest statesman. Born on a farm in Primrose Township, Dane County, he was the first native son and first University of Wisconsin graduate to become Wisconsin Governor. He rose from Dane County District . . . — Map (db m82559) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Sun Prairie — 481 — Georgia O'Keeffe
This world-renowned artist was born in the Town of Sun Prairie on November 15, 1887. She was the second of seven children born to Francis and Ida O'Keeffe. Georgia grew up on the family farm south of the city of Sun Prairie. As a child, she received . . . — Map (db m22692) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Town of Albion — 95 — Albion Academy
Albion Academy and Normal Institute, chartered in 1853 and opened in 1854, on land donated by Jesse Saunders, was founded and operated by Northwestern Seventh Day Baptist Association until 1894; by Peter Hendrickson, former Beloit College professor, . . . — Map (db m40436) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Beaver Dam — 458 — Frederick Douglass
Frederick Douglass was a former runaway slave who was a leading orator and author of the abolitionist movement. He is regarded as one of the most influential Americans of the nineteenth century. On October 20, 1856, Douglass came to Beaver . . . — Map (db m22986) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Fox Lake — 220 — Bernard R. "Bunny" Berigan(1908–1942)
This was the hometown of famed jazz trumpeter and band leader, Bunny Berigan. As a child he played in the Fox Lake Juvenile Band directed by his grandfather, John C. Schlitzberg. In his early teens, he began his professional career with the . . . — Map (db m22989) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Juneau — 277 — Adrian "Addie" Joss
Tall and lanky, Wisconsin native Adrian "Addie" Joss became one of baseball's greatest pitchers, praised for his terrific speed and accurate control. Born in nearby Woodland on April 12, 1880, his family moved here to Juneau in 1886, where he played . . . — Map (db m22978) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Lomira — 301 — World War II
More than 330,000 Wisconsin residents, including 9,000 women, served in the armed forces between December 7, 1941, and the surrender of Japan on September 2, 1945. They participated in every theater of war and in virtually every major campaign, from . . . — Map (db m37976) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Lowell — 421 — Lowell Women Firefighters
On July 11, 1972, three women joined the ranks of the Lowell Volunteer Fire Department, setting a precedent for official recognition of women firefighters in Wisconsin. The Lowell women firefighters were conferred all the voting rights and . . . — Map (db m22941) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Mayville — 193 — Wisconsin’s First Iron Smelter
Mayville was founded in 1845 by Alvin and William Foster and Chester and S.P. May. Iron ore was discovered by these men approximately four miles south of Mayville. A quantity of the ore was taken to the nearest iron smelter in Mishawaka, Indiana, in . . . — Map (db m36919) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Theresa — 345 — Solomon Juneau House
Born in 1793, Solomon Juneau, a French Canadian agent for the American Fur Company and founder of the City of Milwaukee, established one of his outlying trading posts in this vicinity along the east branch of the Rock River in the early 1830s. He . . . — Map (db m36920) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Waupun — 45 — Auto RaceGreen Bay to Madison
In 1875 the Wisconsin Legislature offered a prize of $10,000 to the citizen of this state who could produce a machine "which shall be a cheap and practical substitute for the use of horses and other animals on the highway and farm." Such machine was . . . — Map (db m55383) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Waupun — 92 — Horicon Marsh
Horicon Marsh, an area of 31,653 acres, was scoured out by the Wisconsin glacier, at least 10,000 years ago. Gradually the upper Rock River made deposits which slowed its current and spread its waters over the marshland. The Marsh became a haunt of . . . — Map (db m23090) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Fish Creek — 386 — The Alexander Noble House
The Alexander Noble House was built in 1875 on land purchased from Asa Thorp, the founder of the Village of Fish Creek. This Greek Revival Style-influenced resi­dence is the Village's oldest existing dwelling still in its original location. Born in . . . — Map (db m105232) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Jacksonport — 493 — Jacksonport United Methodist Church
Also known as “The Little White Church by the Lake,” the Jacksonport United Methodist Church was completed in 1892. Its simple design is attributed to George Bagnall Sr., one of the original builders. Alex Halstead, Harry Wilson Sr. and . . . — Map (db m12114) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Jacksonport — 544 — Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church
On January 18, 1889, Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was formally incorporated. The congregation consisted mostly of German Lutheran immigrants from the district of Saxon-Weimar-Eisenach who settled in the Jacksonport area. That spring the newly . . . — Map (db m67017) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Jacksonsport — 521 — The Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity
The Reverend W. R. Gardner founded the Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity in 1882 to serve the Canadian Anglicans who had relocated to the area after the Civil War to cut and haul timber. Services were held once a month at the village . . . — Map (db m59212) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Namur — 321 — Belgian Settlement in Wisconsin
Wisconsin's and the nation's largest Belgian American settlement is located in por­tions of Brown, Kewaunee and Door counties adjacent to the waters of Green Bay. Walloon-speaking Belgians settled the region in the 1850s and still constitute a high . . . — Map (db m12141) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — 417 — Leathem and Smith Quarry
John Leathem and Thomas Smith established this dolomite quarry at the mouth of Sturgeon Bay in 1893. Though they produced dimension stone for building harbors around Lake Michigan, Leathem and Smith's quarry became a major operation by capitalizing . . . — Map (db m39345) HM
Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — 98 — The Orchards of Door County
In 1858 Joseph Zettel, a native of Switzerland, acquired the farm directly south of this Station and established the first commercial orchard on the Door Peninsula. The high yields and quality of his fruit aroused the interest of Emmett S. Goff of . . . — Map (db m5190) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Brule — 170 — Brule River
The Brule River flows in the former channel of a larger river which once flowed in the opposite direction and drained melting ice from glacial lake Duluth. The receding glacier created Lake Superior and also carved the valley now occupied by the . . . — Map (db m58502) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Lake Nebagamon — 151 — Evergreen Park Cottage Sanatorium
Here, in 1903, Dr. W.B. Hopkins, Cumberland, opened the first tuberculosis sanatorium in Wisconsin. He built an office and three one-story frame buildings with screen sides – the men’s ward, the women’s ward and a dining hall. Hopkins . . . — Map (db m72193) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Poplar — 64 — Major "Dick" Bong"America's Ace of Aces"
It was here that Major Richard I. Bong was born, received his education, and grew to manhood. After attending Superior State College where he received his first pilot training, he joined the U.S. Army Air Corps on May 29, 1941. Assigned to the New . . . — Map (db m72259) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Solon Springs — 120 — Brule–St. Croix Portage
The Brule and St. Croix rivers provide the natural water highway between Lake Superior and the Upper Mississippi. Daniel Greysolon, Sieur du Lhut, in 1680 was the first white man to use this passage. Traveling from Prairie du Chien in 1766, . . . — Map (db m43476) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Superior — 192 — Burlington Northern Ore Docks
These docks, the largest in the world, consist of three structures of concrete and steel. The longest dock is 2244 feet long, 80 feet high, and contains 374 individual pockets which can hold 100,000 long tons of ore, or 7 average trains of 205 cars . . . — Map (db m68702) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Superior — 210 — Northwest Portal of Wisconsin
Over millions of years, the forces of nature have given Northwest Wisconsin some of the finest scenery in the world. The most striking feature is Lake Superior, largest freshwater lake in the world and the "Gitche Gumee" of Henry Wadsworth . . . — Map (db m43390) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Superior — 15 — Old Stockade Site
The Sioux uprising in Minnesota during the Summer of 1862, culminating in the New Ulm Massacre, caused great alarm in Superior. A Committee of Safety was chosen, a Home Guard organized, and a stockade built on the bay shore here. An inventory of all . . . — Map (db m33950) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Superior — 205 — S.S. MeteorLast of the Whalebacks
The Great Lakes whaleback fleet was the revolutionary result of Capt. Alexander McDougall's attempts to improve conventional ship design. Between 1888 and 1898, 43 whalebacks were launched and became forerunners of the bulk fleet on the Great Lakes . . . — Map (db m31632) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Superior — 213 — Summer White House - 1928
On May 31, 1928, President Calvin Coolidge accepted former Senator Irvine Lenroot's invitation to spend the summer in the Superior area. Henry Clay Pierce had offered Cedar Island Lodge, part of a 4,000 acre Brule River estate, to serve as living . . . — Map (db m52127) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Superior — 231 — The Superior Entry
The Superior Entry is the only natural opening through the longest fresh water sandbar in the world. Sand deposits from the lake and the rivers created the bar forming the harbor about 3000 years ago. The Entry, as first charted in 1861, was . . . — Map (db m43395) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Superior — 320 — The University of Wisconsin-Superior
Authorized by the legislature in 1893, the University of Wisconsin-Superior opened its doors in 1896 as the state's seventh Normal School to train teachers, drawing most of its students from ten northern Wisconsin counties. The original building, . . . — Map (db m43388) HM
Wisconsin (Dunn County), Downsville — 174 — Caddie Woodlawn
On this site during the Civil War Caroline Augusta Woodhouse, known throughout the world as "Caddie Woodlawn," experienced the excitement of growing up in pioneer Wisconsin. Her tomboy adventures with her two red-headed brothers, and her fearless . . . — Map (db m31194) HM
Wisconsin (Dunn County), Menomonie — 199 — Chippewa Valley White Pine
Here and northeast of here lies the vast Chippewa Valley. At the start of lumbering in Wisconsin it held one-sixth of the nation’s white pine. Surveyors estimated the total pine stand in the state at 136 billion board feet of prime lumber. Lumbermen . . . — Map (db m2059) HM
Wisconsin (Dunn County), Menomonie — 501 — Dr. Stephen TainterRevolutionary War Veteran
Up the hill on the left lies patriot Dr. Stephen Tainter, born October 13, 1760, in Westborough, Massachusetts. He first enlisted in December 1776, at the age of sixteen, as a drummer with Captain Kimball's company in Colonel Sparhawk's . . . — Map (db m21255) HM
Wisconsin (Dunn County), Menomonie — 526 — Evergreen Cemetery / Earliest Evergreen Burials
Evergreen Cemetery In 1873, local lumber company Knapp, Stout & Company, Co. provided fifty-two acres to establish a proper burial site. They hired landscape architects, William Merchant Richardson French and Horace Shaler Cleveland, to . . . — Map (db m88546) HM
Wisconsin (Dunn County), Menomonie — 290 — Mabel Tainter Memorial
Erected to the memory of Mabel Tainter, daughter of lumberman Andrew L. Tainter and his wife Bertha, and given to area citizens on July 3, 1890, the Memorial reflects advanced American architectural, social, educational and religious thought of the . . . — Map (db m9854) HM
Wisconsin (Dunn County), Menomonie — 306 — World War I
The outbreak of war in Europe in August 1914 did not involve the United States directly. Americans expected to remain neutral in the struggle between Great Britain, France, Russia and Italy against Germany and its allies. The desire for neu­trality . . . — Map (db m2167) HM
Wisconsin (Eau Claire County), Augusta — 510 — Dells Mill
Water-powered grist mills ground the wheat that dominated Wisconsin’s Civil War-era economy. Built in 1864, this mill was one of several serving area farmers. After wheat production moved westward, owners adapted the building to mill flour and grind . . . — Map (db m21228) HM
Wisconsin (Eau Claire County), Eau Claire — 436 — Silver Mine Ski Jump
Dominating the vicinity, the Silver Mine Ski Jump is 351 feet above the Chippewa River and is considered one of the largest ski jumps in the country. Built by the Eau Claire Ski Club in 1969, this jump replaces another built in 1887, at the nearby . . . — Map (db m21231) HM
Wisconsin (Fond du Lac County), Auburn — 539 — Haskell Noyes Memorial Woods
This scientific area preserved in natural condition for future generations is symbolic of the spirit of Haskell Noyes of Milwaukee (1886-1948) - one of Wisconsin's foremost conservationist's. Leader of citizen action for outdoor programs featuring . . . — Map (db m35203) HM
Wisconsin (Fond du Lac County), Brandon — 370 — The Raube Road Site
The Raube Road Site is one of Wisconsin's few remaining intact Old Military Road segments from the state's territorial period. Located on farmland purchased by Albert and Martha Raube in 1911, this 123-foot-long Military Road segment was part of the . . . — Map (db m36007) HM
Wisconsin (Fond du Lac County), Fond du Lac — 452 — County Home CemeteryFond du Lac
This site marks the Fond du Lac County Farm Cemetery. The Farm, no longer extant, was founded in 1856 to assist indigent and mentally ill county residents. The cemetery, about 65' x 295' in size, was also known as the Courthouse Burial Grounds. . . . — Map (db m73387) HM
Wisconsin (Fond du Lac County), Fond du Lac — 484 — Home of Governor James Duane Doty(1799-1865)
The home of James Duane Doty, oldest residence in Fond du Lac County, was built in 1839. Doty served as Federal Judge, Congressman, Governor of the Territory of Wisconsin and Superintendent of Indian Affairs. He was Governor of Utah when he died. . . . — Map (db m38487) HM
Wisconsin (Fond du Lac County), Fond du Lac — 208 — The Military Road
The Military Road, built in 1835, became the first highway to cross the state. Congress appropriated $5,000 to connect the St. Lawrence and Mississippi River basins. The troops at Fort Crawford constructed the road from Prairie du Chien to . . . — Map (db m46182) HM
Wisconsin (Fond du Lac County), Fond du Lac — 227 — Wisconsin Progressive Party
Near this site on May 19, 1934, the Wisconsin Progressive Party was formally organized. The Party was the result of a movement begun forty years before on the principle that the will of the people should be the law of the land. The legislation it . . . — Map (db m3648) HM
Wisconsin (Fond du Lac County), Johnsburg — Father Caspar Rehrl / St. John the Baptist Parish
Father Caspar Rehrl A priest, missionary, teacher, founder of churches and schools, and organizer of parishes, Father Rehrl was born in Salzburg, Austria, in 1809. He became a mission­ary to North America, arriving in the new diocese of . . . — Map (db m3293) HM
Wisconsin (Fond du Lac County), Ripon — 135 — Birthplace of Republican Party
In 1852 Alvan Earle Bovay of Ripon met with Horace Greeley in New York and advocated dissolution of the Whig Party and formation of a new party to fuse together anti-slavery elements. At the same time he suggested the name "Republican" because he . . . — Map (db m3225) HM
Wisconsin (Fond du Lac County), Ripon — 273 — Carrie Chapman Catt
A national leader of the woman suffrage movement, Carrie Chapman Catt was born in Ripon, Wisconsin, in 1859 and spent most of her life as a tireless crusader for women’s rights. A gifted organizer, political strategist and public speaker, Catt . . . — Map (db m4331) HM
Wisconsin (Fond du Lac County), Ripon — 181 — Ceresco
The Long House is one of the few visible remains of the pioneer settlement of Ceresco. Founded in 1844 and named for Ceres, the Roman Goddess of Agriculture, Ceresco was the home of the Wisconsin Phalanx, an experiment in communal liv­ing according . . . — Map (db m4330) HM
Wisconsin (Fond du Lac County), Ripon — 184 — Ripon College
Incorporated January 29, 1851. The first College building, East Hall, was staked out that spring by Ripon city founders David Mapes and Alvan Bovay. Chartered as Brockway College, it was renamed Ripon College in 1864 and graduated its first class, . . . — Map (db m3596) HM
Wisconsin (Fond du Lac County), St. Peter — 339 — Edward S. Bragg
Born in New York in 1827, Edward S. Bragg was admitted to the bar in 1848 and moved to Fond du Lac in 1850, where he practiced law and played an active role in politics. When the Civil War broke out in 1861, Bragg joined other "War Democrats" in . . . — Map (db m4118) HM
Wisconsin (Forest County), Crandon — 55 — Northern Highland
Sugarbush Hill which you see across the valley is one of the highest points in the northern highland geological province. This province, which includes some 15,000 square miles in northern Wisconsin, is underlain by the crystalline rock on an . . . — Map (db m33686) HM
Wisconsin (Forest County), Laona — 207 — Laona School Forest
In 1927 this tract of land was purchased for the Laona School Forest, the first in Wisconsin and the United States. It was dedicated April 22, 1928. Motivated by the suggestion of Dean H.L. Russell, of the College of Agriculture, University of . . . — Map (db m33539) HM
Wisconsin (Forest County), Mole Lake — 122 — Battle of Mole Lake
This is the home of the Sokoagon Band of the Chippewa tribe. According to tradi­tion handed down from one generation to the next, the first chief of the Band was Getshee Ki-ji-wa-be-she-shi, or the Great Marten. Each summer the Sokoagon Band . . . — Map (db m33479) HM
Wisconsin (Grant County), Boscobel — 80 — The Gideons
"And they stood every man in his place round about the camp." Judges 7:21 One night in September 1898 two salesmen, John H. Nicholson and Samuel E. Hill, shared room 19 in the Central Hotel, Boscobel. They wondered if some organization could . . . — Map (db m43533) HM
Wisconsin (Grant County), Cassville — 171 — Denniston House
When Wisconsin Territory was established by Congress in 1836, more than a dozen communities eagerly sought to become the capital. Daniels, Denniston, and Company of New York offered this building free if Cassville were chosen. When the Legislature . . . — Map (db m43565) HM
Wisconsin (Grant County), Cassville — 511 — Village of Cassville
Cassville was named for Lewis B. Cass, governor of the Michigan Territory. The earliest mention of the present site was by Henry Schoolcraft in 1820. The settlement began in 1827 when a lead-smelting furnace and a government warehouse were erected . . . — Map (db m43544) HM
Wisconsin (Grant County), Fennimore — 286 — The "Dinky"
Fennimore's narrow gauge train, affectionately known as the "Dinky," operated from 1878 to 1926, far longer than most 3-foot gauge lines in Wisconsin. At a nearby depot, standard and narrow-gauge trains exchanged their passengers and freight. Trains . . . — Map (db m23570) HM
Wisconsin (Grant County), Hazel Green — 172 — The Point Of Beginning
Late in 1831, when Wisconsin was still in Michigan Territory, Lucius Lyon, U. S. Commissioner on the survey of the northern boundary of the State of Illinois, set a post and erected a mound of earth 6 feet square at the base and 6 feet high, at a . . . — Map (db m39020) HM
Wisconsin (Grant County), Lancaster — 103 — Nelson DeweyFirst Governor of Wisconsin
When Nelson Dewey left his parents' home at Hamilton, New York, at the age of 23, he traveled by stage coach, steamer, sailing vessel, horse-back, and on foot to reach Wisconsin. The trip took five weeks, and Dewey arrived in Cassville in June of . . . — Map (db m21489) HM
Wisconsin (Grant County), Lancaster — 394 — Pleasant Ridge
In 1850, pioneer African-American families began arriving in this area when Charles and Caroline Shepard and Isaac and Sarah Shepard arrived from Fauquier County, Virginia. The Shepards came with William Horner, the great-nephew of their former . . . — Map (db m23181) HM
Wisconsin (Grant County), Platteville — 276 — First State Normal School
Wisconsin's first college devoted wholly to training teachers, the Platteville Normal School, opened here on October 9, 1866, in Rountree Hall, which since 1853 has housed its predecessor, the Platteville Academy. The Academy (1842-1866) had . . . — Map (db m33681) HM
Wisconsin (Green County), Albany — 517 — "English Settlement" Cemetery
This cemetery marks the gravesites of Welsh families, who began settling here in 1845. They purchased land from the federal government for $1.25 per acre and began establishing farms, building homes, and forming a tight knit community. "The Yankees . . . — Map (db m35401) HM
Wisconsin (Green County), Monroe — 514 — First Methodist Episcopal Church
Side A The First Methodist Episcopal congregation began building this church in 1869 to replace an earlier church built in 1843. The parsonage was completed in 1886 and the congregation dedicated the completed church in 1887. The church . . . — Map (db m35406) HM
Wisconsin (Green County), Monticello — 435 — Nickolaus Gerber(1836-1903)
Born in 1836 in Canton Berne, Switzerland, where he learned cheese making, Nickolaus Gerber immigrated to New York and founded that state's first Limburger cheese factory. After hearing reports of successful dairy cattle-raising in Green County, . . . — Map (db m35473) HM
Wisconsin (Green County), New Glarus — 434 — Herbert O. Kubly1915-1996
Herbert Kubly, the grandson of Swiss immigrants, was born on the Kubly Family Farm in New Glarus. A noted author and playwright, Kubly's first book, American in Italy, won the National Book Award in 1956. Kubly also authored ten other books . . . — Map (db m32127) HM
Wisconsin (Green County), New Glarus — 110 — New Glarus
In 1845 the Emigration Society of the Canton of Glarus, Switzerland, sent Nicholas Duerst and Fridolin Streiff to the United States to purchase land for a Swiss settlement. They were joined in August by 108 settlers who began their homesteads on . . . — Map (db m5052) HM
Wisconsin (Green Lake County), Berlin — 362 — Lucy Smith Morris(1850 – 1935)
Before women achieved the right to vote, clubs often served as women's political and cultural forums. Foreseeing the political power of a statewide alliance of women, Lucy Smith Morris organized Wisconsin's women's clubs into one coalition in 1896. . . . — Map (db m20162) HM
Wisconsin (Green Lake County), Berlin — 67 — Upper Fox River
On these banks of the Upper Fox River June 7, 1673, explorers Marquette and Jolliet visited the Mascoutin Indian Tribe that lived here. For many years traders and missionaries camped here while visiting the Indians. In 1846 Nathan Strong, a . . . — Map (db m20165) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Arena — 7 — Village of Dover
Beginning in 1844, nearly 700 settlers were brought into this area by the British Temperance & Emigration Society, organized the previous year in Liverpool, England. By 1850 Dover boasted a hotel, post office, cooper, blacksmith, shoemaker, wagon . . . — Map (db m6780) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Dodgeville — 403 — Dodge's Grove and Fort Union
Arriving in Dodgeville in 1827, Henry Dodge, later renowned as a Black Hawk War military leader, territorial governor and state senator, began his Wisconsin career as a miner. In circa 1830, Dodge established living quarters and a large two-furnace . . . — Map (db m32450) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Dodgeville — 250 — Iowa County Courthouse

This is the oldest courthouse in Wisconsin. Construction started June 11, 1859. It was dedicated in 1861, enlarged in 1894 and again in 1927. In 1937 the Doric columns, pediment and cupola were restored exactly as the 1859 original. In 1969 the . . . — Map (db m71717) HM

Wisconsin (Iowa County), Dodgeville — 38 — Old Military Road
You are traveling the route of the Old Military Road, built in 1835-36, to connect Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien and Fort Howard at Green Bay, via Fort Winnebago at "The Portage" between the Fox-Wisconsin rivers. The section from Prairie du . . . — Map (db m36908) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Mineral Point — 335 — Fort Defiance
Fort Defiance was one of the last garrisoned stockade forts constructed in territorial Wisconsin. Located in the booming lead mining region, an area of early settlement, the fort was built by local settlers in 1832 when developing tensions over . . . — Map (db m32043) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Mineral Point — 343 — Historic Mineral Point
In the 1820s, after hearing reports of abundant lead in the area, prospective miners with "lead fever" began pouring into southwestern Wisconsin. Finding ore just beneath the surface, miners set up "diggings" and soon established Mineral Point. It . . . — Map (db m35335) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Mineral Point — 433 — Laurence F. Graber"Mister Alfalfa"
In 1887, Professor Laurence F. Graber was born on a nearby Mineral Point farm about three miles southwest of this location. In 1910, he began his career as an agronomy instructor at the University of Wisconsin - Madison and was given the . . . — Map (db m71721) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Mineral Point — 5 — Shake Rag
In the 1830’s, tin miners from Cornwall, England started coming to S. W. Wisconsin to work the newly discovered lead ore deposits. In certain localities they built their stone cottages similar to the ones of their homeland. Shake Rag, the . . . — Map (db m2968) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Mineral Point — 472 — Site of Fort Jackson
In June, 1832, an alarm spread throughout the mining region that Black Hawk and his band were on the march north from Illinois. Hastily built stockades were erected throughout the lead region. Fort Jackson was built on this site using vertically . . . — Map (db m32065) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Mineral Point — 137 — Wisconsin Territory
On July 4, 1836, here in Mineral Point, Col. Henry Dodge took the oath of office to become the first Governor of the newly-created Territory of Wisconsin. This Territory, previously attached to Michigan, embraced the vast and important area of what . . . — Map (db m35336) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Spring Green — 134 — Frank Lloyd Wright
Frank Lloyd Wright, Wisconsin-born, world-renowned architect, lived and worked in Wyoming Valley, 6 miles southwest of here, at Taliesin, his home and school for apprentices. In the practice of "organic" or natural architecture, he sought to blend . . . — Map (db m19276) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Spring Green — 404 — Military River Crossing
In this vicinity, during the Black Hawk War of 1832, General Henry Atkinson and approximately 1,000 soldiers crossed the Wisconsin River in pursuit of Sac Indian leader Black Hawk and his followers. On July 26th, at the old abandoned Village of . . . — Map (db m19150) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Spring Green — 238 — Shot Tower
Twenty years before Wisconsin became a state, the discovery of vast lead deposits brought a population boom to this area. Green Bay merchant Daniel Whitney organized the Wisconsin Shot Company to build a shot tower on this site. T.B. Shaunce . . . — Map (db m35334) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Hurley — 113 — Gogebic Iron Range
The Gogebic Iron Range, which may be seen to the south of here, extends 80 miles from Lake Namekagon, Wisconsin to Lake Gogebic (Chippewa for “place of diving”) in Michigan. Prior to the discovery of iron ore the area was relatively . . . — Map (db m45103) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Hurley — 314 — Iron Mining in Wisconsin
Although iron mining in Wisconsin had its beginnings in Sauk, Dodge and Jackson counties in the southern part of the state in the 1850’s, discoveries of vast new deposits shifted the focus to northern Wisconsin in 1880. The major iron mining area . . . — Map (db m30849) HM
Wisconsin (Jackson County), Alma Center — 240 — Silver Mound
This large, isolated hill is a famous site where prehistoric Indians gathered to quar­ry a particularly attractive quartzite for the manufacture of chipped stone tools. Several aboriginal quarries are scattered along the rimrock of this mound. . . . — Map (db m3195) HM
Wisconsin (Jackson County), Black River Falls — 228 — Black River Valley
White pine trees were growing here when Columbus made his voyage to America. In 1819 the first attempts to saw lumber were unsuccessful, but in 1839 Jacob Spaulding founded Black River Falls by erecting the first permanent sawmill and settlement on . . . — Map (db m3322) HM
Wisconsin (Jackson County), Black River Falls — 300 — Highground Veterans Memorial
Wisconsin Vietnam veterans provided leadership for the establishment of a memo­rial dedicated to the men and women of the state who served in America's 20th century conflicts. In 1985, the Wisconsin Vietnam Veterans Memorial Project acquired . . . — Map (db m3309) HM
Wisconsin (Jackson County), Black River Falls — 247 — Martin W. Torkelson(1878 – 1963)
Martin Torkelson, born in Jackson County, served the State of Wisconsin for more than fifty years. He was a pioneer in the development for both land and air trans­portation. After graduating from the University of Wisconsin in 1904, . . . — Map (db m3477) HM
Wisconsin (Jackson County), Black River Falls — 66 — Mitchell Red Cloud, Jr.(1925–1950)
Corporal Mitchell Red Cloud was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his courageous action in battle between U.S. troops and Chinese Communists near Chonghyon, Korea, Nov. 5, 1950. Red Cloud’s Company was entrenched beside Hill . . . — Map (db m1865) HM
Wisconsin (Jackson County), Black River Falls — 195 — The Passenger Pigeon
Huge flocks of passenger pigeons once roamed North America. Larger than the mourning dove which it resembled, the passenger pigeon derived its name from an Indian word meaning "wanderer" or one who moves from place to place. Flying at a normal speed . . . — Map (db m3307) HM
Wisconsin (Jackson County), Millston — 204 — Sphagnum MossWisconsin’s Invisible Industry
Marshy sections of Jackson, Monroe, Wood and Clark counties produce large quan­tities of Sphagnum moss, providing a major but little known state resource. The ability of Sphagnum to hold 20 times its weight in water makes it invaluable for keeping . . . — Map (db m49765) HM
Wisconsin (Jackson County), Millston — 203 — Winnebago Indians
Winnebago Indians call themselves “Hochunkgra.” A Siouan people, they once occupied the southern half of Wisconsin and the northern counties of Illinois. The Black Hawk War of 1832 and a series of treaties forced the Winnebago out of . . . — Map (db m3425) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Cambridge — 19 — Lake Ripley
As a boy Ole Evinrude (1877-1934) lived near Cambridge. His father hoped to keep him on the farm and when Ole built a sailboat like he had seen in a picture book his father destroyed it. In a secret place in the woods the boy built another. Here on . . . — Map (db m35297) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Fort Atkinson — 407 — Black Hawk War Encampment"Burnt Village"
A large Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) Village dating from the 1700s once stood in this vicinity. Just before the 1832 Black Hawk War, the village was burned during an intra-tribal battle. On July 6th and 8th, the United States Military camped at this site in . . . — Map (db m31764) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Fort Atkinson — 152 — Fort Koshkonong
"Whilst lying here we have thrown up a stockade work flanked by four block houses for the security of our supplies and the accomodation of the sick," wrote General Henry Atkinson of this spot in his army report to General Winfield Scott on July 17, . . . — Map (db m31765) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Fort Atkinson — 322 — Lake Koshkonong Effigy Mounds
Between AD 650 and 1200, groups of Native Americans throughout the southern half of Wisconsin and portions of adjacent states built earthen mounds of various shapes and sizes, including mounds shaped like animals, today called effigy mounds. The 11 . . . — Map (db m31766) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Fort Atkinson — 303 — Lorine Niedecker
Fish      fowl           flood      Water lily mud My life in the leaves and on water My mother and I         born in swale and swamp and sworn to water Lorine Niedecker (1903-70) lived on Black Hawk Island most of her life and . . . — Map (db m32181) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Fort Atkinson — 99 — Panther Intaglio
Discovered in 1850 by Increase A. Lapham, this is the only known intaglio Effigy mound in the world. It was excavated for ceremonial purposes by American Indians of the Effigy Mound Culture about 1000 A.D. A part of the tail has been covered. Of ten . . . — Map (db m82646) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Ixonia — 46 — Highway Marking
In the old days when both automobiles and roads were few in number, it was easy for those who had cars to get far enough away from home to get lost. While there were some “trails” such as the Cannon Ball Trail and the Yellowstone Trail . . . — Map (db m88574) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Johnson Creek — 313 — In Service to Their Country
Wisconsin contributed significantly to the military activities of the United States since it became a state in 1848. During the Civil War, for instance, Wisconsin made a major contribution to support the Union. About 50% of Wisconsin’s adult male . . . — Map (db m37216) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Lake Mills — 11 — Aztalan
Indian people lived at Aztalan between AD 900 and 1200. The village encompassed 20 acres and was well-planned. The inhabitants planted corn, beans and squash, hunted wild game, fished and collected native plants for food. An elite group of . . . — Map (db m37429) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Lake Mills — 257 — Drumlins
This is glaciated country. Here, as you approach the western edge of Wisconsin’s kettle moraine, you see many land features created by glacial ice some 15,000 years ago. Among the most interesting of these are long, oval hills known as drumlins. . . . — Map (db m37215) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Lake Mills — 515 — Princess Burial Mound
Ancient people built this mound to mark a young woman's grave. The mound was the last in a line that once bordered the western side of the ancient community of Aztalan and the only one that contained a burial. Her community placed the young woman on . . . — Map (db m35479) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Palmyra — 408 — Black Hawk War Encampment
During the Black Hawk War of 1832, General Atkinson camped near this location on two occasions. On July 7th, Atkinson led his entire militia, including future President's Abraham Lincoln and Zachary Taylor here. On July 19th, Atkinson returned . . . — Map (db m31762) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Watertown — 74 — First Kindergarten
The first kindergarten in the United States was founded by Margarethe Meyer Schurz in this building in 1856. Moved to the present site and restored in 1956 by the Watertown Historical Society. — Map (db m35450) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Watertown — 519 — Milwaukee Street Bridge
One of the nation’s most innovative bridge designers of the 20th century, Daniel B. Luten, designed the Milwaukee Street Bridge. Constructed in 1930 by Eau Claire Engineering, the bridge was a rare example of a steel-reinforced, three span, . . . — Map (db m35452) HM

546 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 346
Paid Advertisement