Touch FIRST to browse through the results shown on this page.
American Quarter Horse Markers Historical Markers
Historical markers which celebrate the American Quarter Horse, from the establishment of the breed in 1600 through the 20th century, highlighting their varied employment in racing, ranch work, rodeo, recreational riding, and other purposes.
The first World's Championship Quarter Horse Speed Trials were held just north of this site in 1941 at the newly-constructed Hacienda Moltacqua Racetrack. Bob Locke, owner of the track, was a member of the Southern Arizona Horse Breeders . . . — — Map (db m40473) HM
This famous track on the banks of the Rillito River was the birthplace of many racing innovations still in use today. The Southern Arizona Horse Breeders Association, the organization that pioneered Quarter Horse Racing in Tucson, had been hosting . . . — — Map (db m83215) HM
Seeing whose horse was fastest or who had the best working ranch horse was a natural form of competition for early settlers in Arizona cattle country. So began the race and show tradition at Sonoita. The Sonoita Quarter Horse Show began at the Santa . . . — — Map (db m46881) HM
Peter McCue was one of the greatest sires of the American Quarter Horse breed. Sired by Dan Tucker out of Nora M, he was foaled at Samuel Watkins' Little Grove Stock Farm on February 23, 1895. The 16-hand bay horse had tremendous speed. Watkins . . . — — Map (db m78610) HM
In November 1967, the Ohio Quarter Horse Association hosted a three-day American Quarter Horse show at the Ohio State fairgrounds that drew more than 5,000 people. They could not have known that this horse show would grow to become the largest . . . — — Map (db m2047) HM
Royal King was 17 months old in 1944 when Earl Albin and Jack Whiteside of Comanche, Texas, bought the colt for $250 from breeder Felton Smathers of Llano, Texas. Royal King was by King P-234 and out of Rocket (later registered as Rocket . . . — — Map (db m72310) HM
Founded as St. Clair, about 3 miles east. Moved to present site on Glade Creek and T&P Railway, 1872. Population grew from 500 to 7000 after oil was discovered in 1931. It became hub of production and refining operations.
Manufacturing, . . . — — Map (db m33490) HM
The first American Quarter Horse Association-approved show was held here on July 2-4, 1940, in conjunction with the Texas Cowboy Reunion. AQHA had just been organized and incorporated in March of the same year in Fort Worth. DEL RIO JOE, a 1936 . . . — — Map (db m92492) HM
Marker on front side of statue
Shown in halter competition, Sacred has earned multiple AQHA World Champion and Reserve World Champion titles. The 1995 chestnut mare also has won the All American Quarter Horse Congress multiple . . . — — Map (db m55943) HM
Originally called Hutchins City. Promoted by Santa Fe Rwy. Named for Judge William Pitt Ballinger (1825-1888), railroad attorney and townsite official. Distinguished Texas statesman, veteran of the Mexican War. In the Civil War helped establish . . . — — Map (db m61476) HM
Prior to 1940, Quarter Horses, also called Steeldusts or Billys, did not have an official breed name. However, there were shows where horsemen brought their Quarter Horses to be judged. William Anson of Christoval, TX, sponsored and judged this type . . . — — Map (db m53425) HM