Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments Historical Markers

In 1935/1936 the State of Texas Legislature created a commission to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Texas independence from Mexico. Part of this consisted of placing about 1,100 statues, and granite and bronze markers and monuments around Texas. See more at the Texas Historical Commission website 1936 Texas Centennial Markers.328 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 128
 
Pilgrim Predestinarian Regular Baptist Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Gustafson, October 10, 2010
Pilgrim Predestinarian Regular Baptist Church Marker
Texas (Anderson County), Elkhart — 8799 — Pilgrim Predestinarian Regular Baptist Church
Organized in Illinois in 1833 by Daniel Parker Members moved to Texas First meeting in Stephen F. Austin's Colony January 20, 1834 Log church built December, 1839 Old graveyard adjoins. Present church fourth on the same site . . . — Map (db m36924) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Frankston — 8770 — Site of the Kickapoo Battlefield
Here General Thomas J. Rusk with 200 Texans on October 16, 1838, attacked a band of hostile Indians and allied Mexicans, molestors of frontier settlements, and routed them. — Map (db m102008) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 167 — Andrews County
. . . — Map (db m61419) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Huntington — 7008 — Site of the Town of Jonesville
Site of the town of Jonesville Second county seat of Angelina County August 22, 1854 ••• May 19,1858 — Map (db m37243) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6981 — Angelina County
Created and organized in 1846. Originally a part of Nacogdoches County. Bears the name of the river traversing the region. The following towns have served as the county seat; Marion,1846-1854; Jonesville,1854-1858; Homer, Feb. 3 - May 17, 1858, when . . . — Map (db m29862) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 7004 — Site of the town of Homer
Also known as Angelina Third county seat of Angelina County, 1858 - 1890 — Map (db m31629) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 2537 — Home of George W. Fulton
Home of George W. Fulton Born at Philadelphia, June 8, 1810 Served in the Texan Army in 1836 A pioneer resident of Refugio County After an engineering career of distinction elsewhere, he returned to Texas and became a cattle . . . — Map (db m53700) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 2733 — Site of One of the Homes of James Power
Site of one of the homes of James Power Born in Ireland, 1789 Died in Live Oak Point, Texas, 1852 With James Hewetson he was granted authority January 11, 1828 to settle 200 families in Texas Served Texas under three flags as . . . — Map (db m53708) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Lamar — 3018 — Site of the Town of Lamar
Site of the town of Lamar Named for Mirabeau B. Lamar 1798 – 1859 President of the Republic of Texas 1838 – 1841 Established in 1838 Made a Port of Entry in 1839 Sacked by Union Troops Feb. 11, 1864 . . . — Map (db m53711) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 180 — Aransas County
Created September 18, 1871 from Refugio County; Organized in 1871 with Rockport as the County Seat. Named for the River Nuestra Señora de Aranzazu — Map (db m53705) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Goodnight — 4850 — Site of Old Goodnight Ranch
First ranch in the Texas panhandle Established in 1876 by Charles Goodnight 1836- 1929 Noted scout, Indian fighter, trail blazer and rancher The Burbank of the range — Map (db m49328) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Goodnight — 5528 — Town of Goodnight
. . . — Map (db m100447) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 223 — Atascosa County
As early as 1722 El Camino Real (The King's Highway) from the Rio Grande to San Antonio was well established in this area. The Spanish word "Atascosa," denoting boggy ground that hindered travel, gave region its name. The county was created in 1856 . . . — Map (db m56663) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 5514 — A Town Hall
Near this site stood A Town Hall Built about 1830 in which were held the First and Second Conventions of Texas, 1832 and 1833, and the Consultation of 1835 the provisional government functioned here until March 2, 1836, when . . . — Map (db m43759) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 276 — Bailey County
. . . — Map (db m73669) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 293 — Bandera Pass
Celebrated Indian pass known from the earliest days of Spanish settlement · Identified with many a frontier fight and many a hostile inroad · Old ranger trail from the Medina to the Guadalupe River and the United States Army route between frontier . . . — Map (db m24384) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9185 — Felipe Entrique Neri, Baron De Bastrop1770 - 1829
Erected in recognition of the distinguished service to Texas of Felipe Entrique Neri, Baron De Bastrop 1770 - 1829 Pioneer Red River empresario. Land commissioner of Austin's colony. Member of the Congress of Coahuila and Texas. In . . . — Map (db m82609) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9156 — Site of Bastrop Military Institute
A Methodist Institution · Chartered January 24, 1852 as Bastrop Academy · · Rechartered under the Auspices of the Methodist Episcopal Church South in 1853 · In 1856 became the Bastrop Military Institute — Map (db m65159) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Elgin — 9171 — Site of the Home of Col. Robert M. Coleman — (1799 -1837)
Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence Aide-de-camp to Gen. Houston at San Jacinto Commander of a regiment of Rangers 1836-37 Here his widow Mrs. Elizabeth Coleman and son, Albert V. Coleman were killed by Indians and . . . — Map (db m82688) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 2535 — Home of Elijah Sterling Clack Robertson
This house was built 1856-1860 by Elijah Sterling Clack Robertson 1820-1879 Texas pioneer, patriot, soldier and jurist, and one of the founders of Salado College. — Map (db m29312) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 5586 — Home of Orville Thomas Tyler
Pioneer Texan--County Judge Member of the legislature President of the board of trustees of Salado College Built in 1857 — Map (db m29250) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 1179 — The Davis Mill
Built in 1864 by William A. Davis First stone mill with carding machine in this vicinity. A sawmill and gin were added in 1866. French burrs, Leffel water wheel and silk bolt brought from Galveston by wagon in 1871. Made flour for Central Texas . . . — Map (db m29251) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Gonzales Men at the Alamo
Erected in grateful recognition of the supreme act of heroism of the thirty two men from Gonzales who gave their lives in the Alamo in response to the appeal of Travis. Erected March 1, 1936 — Map (db m30777) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 95 — The Alamo Cenotaph"The Spirit of Sacrifice"
In memory of the heroes who sacrified their lives at the Alamo, March 6, 1836, in the defense of Texas. “They chose never to surrender nor retreat. These brave hearts, with flag still proudly waving, perished in the flames of . . . — Map (db m30709) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 1182 — The Dawson Massacre
Occurred in this vicinity on September 18, 1842 when Captain Nicholas Mosby Dawson and 53 men from La Grange, in attempting to join Captain Mathew Caldwell (Old Paint) and his company of Texas volunteers during the Battle of the Salado, were . . . — Map (db m85981) HM
Texas (Bowie County), New Boston — 9469 — Bowie County
Named for James Bowie (1799-1836), who fought for Texas freedom from 1819, when he joined the Long Expedition, to 1836 — when he died in defense of the Alamo. Inhabited before 1800 by agricultural Indians, charted 1819 for . . . — Map (db m96141) HM
Texas (Bowie County), Texarkana — James Bowie
Front Hero of the Alamo "They never fail who die in a just cause" Love of adventure brought the young South Carolinian to Texas with James Long in 1819. Romance made of him a Mexican citizen and won for him in San . . . — Map (db m96572) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), Brazoria — Henry Smith
(South Face of Monument) Henry Smith was born in Kentucky, May Twentieth 1788, came to Texas in 1827 and settled in what is now Brazoria County which he regarded as his home until his death. He was severely wounded in the Battle of . . . — Map (db m90101) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), Jones Creek — 9581 — Peach Point
. . . — Map (db m90243) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 9575 — Home of George B. McKinstry1802 - 1837
A member of Austin's colony, 1829. Soldier in the Battle of Velasco; delegate to the General Convention, 1832; chief justice of Brazoria County, 1836. In this home, built about 1830, Stephen F. Austin died, December 27, 1836 — Map (db m78618) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 9526 — Site of the Home of Josiah Hughes Bell1791 - 1838
One of the “Old Three Hundred” who came to Texas with Stephen F. Austin in 1821 • First alcade (sic, alcalde) of Austin's Colony • On this tract of 6,642 acres, granted him in 1824, was later built the town of Columbia, First . . . — Map (db m52793) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 503 — Brewster County
Formed from Presidio County Created February 2, 1887. Organized February 14, 1887. In 1897 the territory of Buchel and Foley counties was added to Brewster. Named for Henry Percy Brewster, 1816-1884 soldier and statesman, a hero . . . — Map (db m60923) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Big Bend National Park — Comanche Trail
You are now traveling the Comanche Trail blazed by Comanche Indians, en route from the western plains to Mexico, and traveled later by emigrants and soldiers. It extended south from the Horse Head Crossing of the Pecos by Comanche Springs . . . — Map (db m53931) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Marathon — 2003 — Fort Peña Colorado (Red Rock)
Established in 1880 as a means of preventing Indian raids into Mexico. Raided by Apaches in 1881. Abandoned in 1893 after Western Texas had been permanently cleared of Indians. — Map (db m73723) HM
Texas (Briscoe County), Silverton — 512 — Briscoe County
Formed from Bexar Territory Created August 21, 1876 Organized March 15, 1892 Named for Andrew Briscoe 1810-1849 Defender of Texan liberty at the Battle of Concepcion, the Capture of Bexar and the Battle of San Jacinto. Chief . . . — Map (db m99865) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Bertram — 9700 — Black's Fort
Built as a defense against the Indians in 1855 by William Black (1815-1907) on land owned by him. In the stockade, constructed of cedar logs, sentries were kept on guard on moonlight nights. Guns and ammunition for public use were kept here. . . . — Map (db m27429) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9704 — Burnet County
Formed from portions of Travis, Williamson and Bell counties. Created Feb. 5, 1852; organized August 28, 1852. Named in honor of David G. Burnet (1788-1870), president of the Provisional Government of the Republic of Texas in 1836. County seat, . . . — Map (db m27463) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Lockhart — 9759 — Caldwell County
A part of De Witt’s Colony, 1825-1836. A part of Gonzales County to 1848. First settlements were on Plum Creek and the San Marcos River Created     March 6, 1848 Organized     August 7, 1848 Named in honor of Mathew . . . — Map (db m91552) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 3091 — Site of the Town of Linnville
. . . — Map (db m75088) HM
Texas (Callahan County), Baird — 360 — Belle Plain
First official county seat of Callahan County, 1877 - 1883. The first unofficial county seat was Callahan City where the commissioners court was organized, July 30, 1877, and several civil and probate cases filed. By an invalid election, October . . . — Map (db m79092) HM
Texas (Callahan County), Baird — 634 — Callahan County
Formed from Bexar Territory Created February 1, 1858 Recreated August 21, 1876 Organized July 3, 1877 Named in Honor of James H. Callahan, 1812-1856 Soldier in the Texas Revolution Captain of the Texas Rangers County . . . — Map (db m80805) HM
Texas (Callahan County), Baird — 709 — Captain Andrew Jackson Berry
Veteran of San Jacinto • Officer in the Confederate Army • Born in Indiana, May 16, 1816 • Died at Baird, Texas, July 31, 1899 — Map (db m80900) HM
Texas (Callahan County), Baird — 3378 — Military Telegraph Line
The United States Military Telegraph Line Established in 1874-1875 from Fort Griffin to Fort Concho, crossed here — Map (db m79316) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Wallisville — 9127 — Mission Nuestra Señora de la Luz
. . . — Map (db m60348) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Alto — 6860 — Site of Neches Indian Village
Here at the opening of the 18th century stood a village of the Neches Indians. Their name was given to the river and later to a mission, San Francisco de Los Neches, established near by. With the Cherokees, the Neches Indians were expelled from . . . — Map (db m27041) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Rusk — 6826 — Mountain Home
Birthplace of James Stephen Hogg, son of Lucanda McMath Hogg and Joseph Lewis Hogg. Born March 24, 1851. Died March 3, 1906. First native Texan to serve as governor. Inspirer of the passage of the Railroad Commission Law, Stock and Bond Law, Alien . . . — Map (db m40474) HM
Texas (Childress County), Childress — 829 — Childress County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created • Organized August 21, 1876 • April 11, 1887 Named in honor of George Campbell Childress 1804 – 1841 A member of the Convention in 1836 Co-author of the Texas . . . — Map (db m96825) HM
Texas (Clay County), Henrietta — 910 — Clay County
Formed from Cooke County Created December 24, 1857 Organized August 6, 1860 Disorganized in 1862 because of Indian raids Reorganized August 4, 1873 Henrietta, headquarters for buffalo hunters until 1878 The first Hereford . . . — Map (db m96691) HM
Texas (Cochran County), Morton — 927 — Cochran County
Created August 21, 1876, from Bexar County. Named for a native of New Jersey, Robert Cochran, a private who died for Texas Independence in the siege of the Alamo. Indian hostilities and the distance to market and supplies made settlement slow. . . . — Map (db m76252) HM
Texas (Coke County), Blackwell — 1973 — Fort Chadbourne
Established by the United States Army, October 28, 1852, as a protection to frontier settlers against Indians. Named in honor of Lieutenant T.L. Chadbourne,killed at Resaca de la Palma, May 9, 1846. Occupied by Federal troops, 1852-1859; . . . — Map (db m77861) HM
Texas (Coke County), Blackwell — 4374 — Route of the Southern Overland Mail Line
One mile southeast to Fort Chadbourne, a station on the Butterfield Mail and Stage Line, which linked St. Louis and San Francisco, 1858-1861. The fort was established in 1852, occupied until its surrender to State forces in 1861, and garrisoned at . . . — Map (db m77943) HM
Texas (Coke County), Robert Lee — 933 — Coke County
Formed from Tom Green County Created      March 13, 1889 Organized      April 23, 1889 Named in Honor of Richard Coke 1829 - 1896 Governor of Texas      1874-1876 Member of United States Senate 1878 - 1896 County Seat, . . . — Map (db m82995) HM
Texas (Coke County), Robert Lee — 2414 — Hayrick
Hayrick First County Seat of Coke County. 1889–1890 Robert Lee Then Became the County Seat — Map (db m82903) HM
Texas (Coleman County), Coleman — 940 — Coleman County
Formed from Travis and Brown counties. Created February 1, 1858, Organized October 6, 1864. Named in honor of Robert M. Coleman 1799-1837 A signer of the Declaration of Independence A hero of San Jacinto, Organizer of . . . — Map (db m91740) HM
Texas (Coleman County), Coleman — 4381 — Ruins of Camp Colorado
Originally established on the Colorado River by the United States Army as a protection for the frontier against hostile Indians Moved in August, 1856, to this site Abandoned by Federal troops February 26, 1861 The site became . . . — Map (db m94553) HM
Texas (Coleman County), Santa Anna — 940 — Coleman County
In early Texas had Apache, Comanche, Kiowa camps and mountain lookouts. White settlement began at Camp Colorado, U.S. 2nd Cavalry post on Jim Ned Creek, 1857. County was created Feb. 1, 1858. Named for Robert M. Coleman (1799-1837), a signer of . . . — Map (db m94526) HM
Texas (Collingsworth County), Wellington — 951 — Collingsworth County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created • Organized August 21, 1876 • November 4, 1890 Named in Honor of James Collinsworth 1806-1838 The first Chief Justice of the Republic of Texas. Signer of the Declaration of . . . — Map (db m100235) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 368 — Benjamin Beason's Crossingof the Colorado River
Site of the camp, March 19-26, 1836 of the Texas Army under General Sam Houston, who directed the retreat from Gonzales to the San Jacinto — Map (db m76821) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 973 — Colorado County
A part of Stephen F. Austin's First Colony Created March 17, 1836 Organized in 1837 The river traversing the region was called “Colorado” (red) by Spanish explorers who mistook it for the reddish Brazos. From the river, the . . . — Map (db m71994) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 4923 — Site of the Camp of Gen. Joaquín Ramírez y Sesma
Site of the Camp, March 20-26, 1836, of one division of General Santa Anna's Army under the command of General Joaquín Ramírez y Sesma. It crossed the Colorado at Atascosita Ford, eight miles below Columbus. — Map (db m29707) HM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — 989 — Comanche County
First settled in 1854 by five families, the county, created and organized 1856, was named for Comanche Indians, Lords of Texas frontier, who were losing hunting grounds to settlers. First county seat was Cora. Comanche has been county seat . . . — Map (db m98274) HM
Texas (Concho County), Paint Rock — 1017 — Concho County
Created February 1, 1858 Organized March 11, 1879. Named for the river which the Spaniards called the Concho because of the many shells that they found in it. Paint Rock, The County Seat — Map (db m30087) HM
Texas (Cooke County), Gainesville — 590 — Butterfield Overland Stage Line
Gainesville was a station on the Southern Overland Mail Line (Butterfield Route), which provided semi-weekly mail and stage service between St. Louis and San Francisco, 1858-1861. The line was 2795 miles long – one of the longest stage . . . — Map (db m96750) HM
Texas (Crane County), Crane — 1105 — Crane County
Formed from Tom Green County Created February 26, 1887 Organized September 3, 1927. Named in honor of William Carey Crane 1816-1885. A Baptist minister President of Baylor University 1863-1885 Crane, The County Seat. — Map (db m85569) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 1110 — Crockett County
. . . — Map (db m7413) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Sheffield — 4383 — Ruins of Fort Lancaster
Established in 1855 by the United States Government as a protection to travelers and mail on the overland route from San Antonio to San Diego. Abandoned in 1861. Reoccupied in 1868 for a short time. — Map (db m79334) HM
Texas (Crosby County), Crosbyton — 1114 — Crosby County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created • Organized August 21, 1876 • September 20, 1986 Named in honor of Stephen Crosby 1800-1869 came to Texas in 1845 Commissioner of the General Land Office County seat, . . . — Map (db m105191) HM
Texas (Crosby County), Lorenzo — 4779 — Site of Estacado
A town founded in 1879 by a colony of English Quakers under the leadership of Isaac Paris Cox who purchased for them 82 sections of land. The town, first named Marietta in honor of Mary Cox, wife of the leader, was renamed Estacado in 1886 when . . . — Map (db m106238) HM
Texas (Culberson County), Pine Springs — 7929 — The Pinery
. . . — Map (db m30350) HM
Texas (Culberson County), Van Horn — 7931 — Culberson County
Formed from El Paso County; Created March 10, 1911; Organized April 18, 1911; Named for David B. Culberson 1830-1903 famous constitutional lawyer, a Confederate officer, member of the Texas legislature, member of the United States congress; Van . . . — Map (db m43479) HM
Texas (Dallam County), Dalhart — 1158 — Dallam County
Formed from Young and Bexar territories Created    Organized August 21, 1876    July 28, 1891 Named in honor of James W. Dallam 1818-1847 Compiler of digest of decisions of Supreme Court of the Republic of Texas, 1845 . . . — Map (db m88747) HM
Texas (Deaf Smith County), Hereford — 1195 — Deaf Smith County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created August 21, 1876 Organized October 3, 1890 Named in honor of Erastus “Deaf” Smith 1787-1837 Came to Texas in 1821 Rendered valuable service as a scout and spy during . . . — Map (db m56022) HM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 2767 — John B. Denton

Born in Tennessee July 26, 1806, came to Texas in January, 1836, as a Methodist circuit rider. Killed in the Village Creek Indian fight May 24, 1841 in what is now Tarrant County. Named for Gen. Edward H. Tarrant who commanded the volunteers. . . . — Map (db m28869) HM

Texas (Dickens County), Dickens — 1219 — Dickens County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created August 21, 1876 Organized April 15, 1903 Dickens, County Seat — Map (db m104770) HM
Texas (Dickens County), Spur — 2043 — Fourth U.S. CavalryIn Memory Of
Privates Gregg, William Max, W. H. Kilpatrick and other soldiers who met death in this region while serving under General R. S. MacKenzie, Fourth U.S. Cavalry, 1871-1872 and 1874-1875. With no hope of honor if victorious; no dream of mercy if they . . . — Map (db m104773) HM WM
Texas (Dickens County), Spur — 4721 — Site of Anderson's Fort or Soldier's Mound
Here behind extensive breastworks Major Thomas M. Anderson, Tenth U.S. Infantry, maintained a supply camp for the Cavalry under General Ranald S. Mackenzie, Fourth U.S. Cavalry, who in 1874-1875 forced the Indians of the region onto reservations and . . . — Map (db m104771) HM
Texas (Donley County), Clarendon — 1250 — Donley County
Formed from Young and Bexar territories Created • Organized August 21, 1876 • March 22, 1882 Named in honor of Stockton P. Donley 1821 – 1871 a Confederate officer elected to the Texas Supreme Bench in 1866 . . . — Map (db m96829) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Ranger — 1804 — Site of First Oil Well Drilled in Eastland County
The J.H. McCleskey No. 1 Discovery Well of the Ranger Pool was drilled by Warren Wagner under the supervision of W.K. Gordon of the Texas Pacific Coal and Oil Company, July 2 - October 17, 1917. Initial production was three million feet of gas. . . . — Map (db m98133) HM
Texas (Ector County), Odessa — 1379 — Ector County
Created February 26, 1887 from Tom Green County Organized January 15, 1891 Named in honor of Matthew Duncan Ector 1822-1879 Member of the Texas Legislature A Confederate Officer and outstanding jurist Odessa, The County . . . — Map (db m86704) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 8830 — Captain Frank Jones
Born in Austin, Texas 1856 Killed by bandits June 30, 1893 near San Elizario while commanding Company D Texas Rangers — Map (db m37950) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 15207 — El Camino Real(The King's Highway)
The regal highway extending between his Catholic majesty's far flung kingdoms of New Spain, from Mexico City to the Kingdom of New Mexico, passed here. From 1581 onward it was the route followed by conqueror, padre, merchant, adventurer and settler. . . . — Map (db m37802) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 1427 — El Paso del Rio del Norte
On May 4, 1598, Don Juan de Oñate, Adelantado and Capitain-General, Governor of New Mexico, first named El Paso del Rio del Norte. Through this old pass, the lowest snow-free feasible route from the Atlantic to the Pacific through the Rocky . . . — Map (db m24743) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 1067 — First Mission and Pueblo in TexasCorpus Christi de la Ysleta
. . . — Map (db m37959) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 4524 — San Antonio de Senecú
Approximate site of the Mission and Pueblo of San Antonio de Senecú Established by Don Antonio de Otermín and Father Fray Francisco Ayeta. O.F.M. in 1682 - Maintained by Franciscan missionaries for the civilizing and Christianizing of the . . . — Map (db m37951) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 5090 — Stage Station
This block was the site of the stage station of the Southern Overland Mail line which connected St. Louis and San Francisco with a semi-weekly stage and mail service, 1858-1861. — Map (db m60719) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 4501 — Salt War
Resentment over private control of the salt lakes in the region, often called Guadalupe Lakes, in 1877 led to the El Paso Salt War which entailed the loss of many lives and much property. — Map (db m37988) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 4532 — San Elizario
Site of the Presidio de Nuestra Señora Del Pilár y Glorioso Señor San José established by Don Domingo Jironza Petríz de Cruzate in 1683 near Misión de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe in present Ciudad Juárez, México. Located on this site in 1773 and . . . — Map (db m37990) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Socorro — 4972 — Socorro
Site of the mission and pueblo of Nuestra Señora de la Concepción del Pueblo de Socorro established by Don Antonio de Otermín and Father Fray Francisco Ayeta, O.F.M. in 1683. Maintained by Franciscan missionaries for the civilizing and . . . — Map (db m37984) HM
Texas (Falls County), Perry — 2630 — Indian Battlefield
At this site, near the pioneer home of George Morgan, a battle took place, January 16, 1839, between settlers in this region and Indians under Chief José María in which the colonists were defeated. A treaty with these Indians made soon after . . . — Map (db m84671) HM
Texas (Fannin County), Bonham — 8872 — Fannin County
This area was first settled by Anglo - Americans who traveled up the Red River by steamboat in 1836. Fannin County was created in 1837, organized 1838, and named for James W. Fannin (1805-36), who was massacred with his soldiers at Goliad (March 27, . . . — Map (db m96688) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Hostyn — 1141 — The Oldest Czech Settlement
in Texas was established at Hostyn when in November, 1856, the families of Josef Janda, Valintin Kolibal, Frantisek Koza arrived here from Czechoslovakia and in December, 1856, arrived here Alois Klimicek, Benjamin Klimicek adn Frantisek Marak. — Map (db m71598) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 5580 — Site of a Twin Blockhouse
Built about 1828 - used as a place of defense against the Indians and known as Moore's Fort in honor of its builder and owner, John Henry Moore, 1800-1880, noted Indian fighter and commander of the Texans at the Battle of Gonzales, October 2, 1835 - . . . — Map (db m53228) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 575 — Site of Burnam's Ferry
(obverse) First ferry in present-day Fayette County. Established about 1824 at the crossing of the La Bahia Road by Jesse Burnam. After the Army of the Republic of Texas crossed on March 19, 1836, the ferry was destroyed by order of General . . . — Map (db m53220) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 5607 — The First U.S. Postal Rural Mail Route in Texas
Authorized effective August 1, 1899 La Grange, Fayette County — Map (db m95433) HM
Texas (Fayette County), West Point — 5902 — Site of Woods' Fort
Used by colonists of this vicinity as a protection against Indian attacks 1828-1842 fortified residence of Zadock Woods veteran of the War of 1812 One of the old "Three Hundred" of Austin's colonists Oldest man killed in the "Dawson Massacre" . . . — Map (db m79696) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 1928 — Floyd County
. . . — Map (db m104806) HM
Texas (Foard County), Crowell — 1933 — Foard County
Formed from Hardeman, King Cottle, and Know Counties Created      March 3, 1891 Organized      April 27, 1891 Named in Honor of Robert L. Foard 1831 - 1898 A Confederate Officer Prominent Lawyer of Columbus Texas . . . — Map (db m81442) HM
Texas (Foard County), Crowell — 3966 — Pease River Battlefield(Site Located 8 Miles Northeast)
In 1860 at the Battle of Pease River, Indian captive Cynthia Ann Parker and her daughter, Prairie Flower, were rescued by Texas Rangers under Capt. L.S. Ross (later Governor of Texas).      Cynthia Ann, most celebrated of all Comanche captives, . . . — Map (db m81438) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 8993 — Site of Fort Bend
Built in November 1821 by William Little, William Smithers, Charles Beard, Joseph Polly, and Henry Holster. - Its name was given to the county when created in 1837. — Map (db m88506) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 9004 — Site of the Home of Mirabeau B. Lamar1798-1859
Father of Texas education. President of the Republic of Texas, 1836-1841. He lived here from 1851 to 1859. — Map (db m95421) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 9001 — Site of the Home of Randal Jones1786 - 1873
. . . — Map (db m65460) HM
Texas (Freestone County), Fairfield — 9878 — Freestone County
Formed from Limestone County Created September 6, 1850 Organized January 6, 1851 So named from the nature of its stone County Seat, Fairfield Formerly known as Mound Prairie — Map (db m36943) HM
Texas (Gaines County), Seminole — 2095 — Gaines County
Created August 21, 1876 Organized October 24, 1905 Named for James Gaines Born in Virginia in 1779 Established a ferry across the Sabine River in 1819 A signer of the Declaration of Independence Member of the Congress of . . . — Map (db m61422) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 7537 — First Navy of the Republic of Texas
Dedicated to the First Navy of the Republic of Texas Established by Governor Henry Smith November 25th, 1835 The Fleet Brutus • Independence Liberty • Invincible Commemorating the heroism of its personnel . . . — Map (db m65031) HM WM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 7183 — General Sidney Sherman
Born in Massachusetts July 26. 1805. Came to Texas February 1836 as captain of a company of volunteers he had recruited in Kentucky and Ohio. Commanded the second regiment of volunteers at San Jacinto. First to sound the immortal war cry opening the . . . — Map (db m49823) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 7509 — Lafitte's Grove
Fort and settlement established here in 1817 by the freebooter Jean Lafitte who maintained headquarters here while preying on shipping in the Gulf of Mexico. The Battle of the Three Trees was fought here between Lafitte's men and Karankawa . . . — Map (db m87726) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 7530 — Site of the Home of Michel Branamour Menard1805 - 1856
A signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. Founder of the city of Galveston. Member of the Congress of the Republic of Texas. — Map (db m58099) HM
Texas (Gillespie County), Doss — 10068 — Lange's Mill
Established in 1849 by Doss brothers. Operated 1859-1878 by William F. Lange; 1878-1888 by Julius Lange. Its products were famed throughout the region. One of the last of the old burr mills in Texas; one of few in as perfect a state of preservation. . . . — Map (db m91745) HM
Texas (Gillespie County), Fredericksburg — 10044 — Gillespie County
The trails of roving Indians crossed these hills Settled by German pioneers in 1846 A group of Mormons settled at Zodiac in 1847. Created February 23, 1848 Organized June 5, 1848 Named for Richard Addison Gillespie A Texan . . . — Map (db m94337) HM
Texas (Gillespie County), Fredericksburg — Otfrid Hans Freiherr von Meusebach — [In memory of]
Born at Dillenburg, Nassau, Germany May 26, 1812. Commissioner-General of the Society for the Protection of German Immigrants in Texas who became a citizen of the Republic of Texas under the name of John O. Meusebach. Founder of . . . — Map (db m35893) HM
Texas (Gillespie County), Fredericksburg — 10039 — Site of Fort Martin Scott
Established by the United States Army December 5, 1848 as a protection to travelers and settlers against Indian attack. Named in honor of Major Martin Scott, Brevet Lieutenant Colonel, 5th United States Infantry, killed at Molino . . . — Map (db m35905) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 2203 — Goliad County
First known to Spanish settlers as Nuestra Senora de Loreto, later called La Bahia del Espritu Santo. Established as a mission in 1749. Became a strategic fort under Spanish, Mexican, Texas occupancy, 1810-1821, 1835-1836. Name changed to Goliad . . . — Map (db m34291) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 4833 — Site of Mission Nuestra Señora del Rosario
Established in 1754 for the Cujane Nation. Here faithful Franciscan missionaries attempted to Christianize and civilize the Indians of the region until 1794. — Map (db m34284) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 3409 — Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zúñiga
First established at the site of La Salle's Fort on Garcitas Creek, Victoria County, among the Coco, Cujanes, Karankawa and other Indian tribes in 1722. Moved to Mission Valley, Victoria County, on the Guadalupe River among the Jaranames and . . . — Map (db m68955) HM
Texas (Gray County), Pampa — 15289 — Gray County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created August 21, 1876 Organized May 27, 1902 Named in Honor of Peter W. Gray 1819–1874 Member of the First Legislature of Texas Member of the Confederate Congress Appointed to . . . — Map (db m55821) HM
Texas (Hale County), Plainview — 5389 — General Ranald Slidell MacKenzieThe Old MacKenzie Trail — By “Larry” Chittendon
Stretching onward toward the sunset, o'er prairie, hill and vale, far beyond the double mountains winds the Old MacKenzie Trail. Ah, what thoughts and border memories does that dreaming trail suggest; thoughts of travelers gone forever to the . . . — Map (db m91267) HM
Texas (Hale County), Plainview — 2331 — Hale County
. . . — Map (db m91323) HM
Texas (Hall County), Memphis — 2336 — Hall County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created   •   Organized August 21, 1876 • June 23, 1890 Named in honor of Warren D.C. Hall 1788 – 1867 Member of The San Felipe Convention in 1832 Second in Command of . . . — Map (db m96346) HM
Texas (Hansford County), Gruver — 4752 — Site of Cator Buffalo Camp
Established by James H. and Bob Cator in the spring of 1872 while hunting buffalo in the fall of 1875. The camp became a trading post known as Zulu. — Map (db m93405) HM
Texas (Hansford County), Spearman — 2366 — Hansford County
Formed from Young and Bexar territories Created, August 21, 1876 Organized, March 11, 1889 Named in honor of John M. Hansford came to Texas in 1837 Member of the Texas Congress Judge of the Seventh Judicial District, . . . — Map (db m93468) HM
Texas (Hardeman County), Quanah — 2370 — Hardeman County
Created February 1, 1858 Recreated August 21, 1876 Organized December 30, 1884 Named in honor of Bailey Hardeman, 1785-1836, signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, and Thomas Jones Hardeman, 1788-1854 member of . . . — Map (db m104891) HM
Texas (Hardin County), Kountze — 11154 — Hardin County
Created January 22, 1858 Organized August 9, 1858 Named in honor of the Hardins of Liberty County, five brothers - Benjamin Watson, Augustine Blackburn, William, Franklin and Milton A. who came to Texas in 1825 County seat, Hardin, 1858-1887 . . . — Map (db m44982) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10654 — Amos B. Edson
Arrived in Texas January 28, 1836, having been recruited in New Orleans for the Army of Texas by Captain Amasa Turner in whose company he served at San Jacinto. Died in Houston, 1837. — Map (db m59589) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10664 — First White House of the Republic of Texas
. . . — Map (db m61060) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10708 — Issaac L. Jaques
Came to Texas in October, 1835. Fought at San Jacinto in Captain Thomas H. McIntire's company. Died at Lynchburg, August 6, 1836. — Map (db m90110) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10767 — Site of Battle of San Jacinto, 1836
Near here on the afternoon of April 21, 1836, the army of The Republic of Texas commanded by General Sam Houston was drawn up to attack an invading Mexican army commanded by General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna. — Map (db m53670) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10752 — Site of the Home of Dr. George Moffit Patrick
Site of the home in 1836 of Dr. George Moffit Patrick 1801-1889 Pioneer surveyor • Here the Texas Army encamped after the Battle of San Jacinto and cabinet meet- ings were held — Map (db m53323) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10768 — The Texas Army Attacked in Four Divisions
The Texas Army attacked in four divisions; the Cavalry on the right, commanded by Mirabeau B. Lamar; next, the Infantry under Lieutenant Colonel Henry Millard; the “Twin Sisters” cannon under Colonel Edward Burleson; the 2nd Regiment, . . . — Map (db m53486) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10771 — Will You Come to the Bower, Battle of San Jacinto
To the tune of “Will You Come to the Bower,” the Texans advanced; “Remember the Alamo! Remember Goliad!” was their cry. With cannons and gunshot, clubs and Bowie knives they fought — no quarter was given; the rout . . . — Map (db m54115) HM
Texas (Hartley County), Hartley — 2399 — Hartley County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created August 21, 1876 Organized February 5, 1891 Named in honor of two brothers Oliver Cromwell and Rufus K. Hartley Distinguished members of the Texas Bar Hartley, the . . . — Map (db m93240) HM
Texas (Haskell County), Haskell — 2404 — Haskell County
Created February 1, 1858 Recreated August 21, 1876 Organized January 13, 1885 Named in Honor of Charles Ready Haskell, 1817-1836 A Tennesseean who was shot with Fannin in the Massacre at Goliad Haskell, the County Seat . . . — Map (db m82083) HM
Texas (Hays County), San Marcos — 10319 — Site of the First Town of San Marcos
Known officially as Villa de San Marcos de Neve. Established in 1807 by Mexican settlers. The population on January 6, 1808 was 81. A flood in 1808 and subsequent Indian raids led to its abandonment in 1812 — Map (db m76023) HM
Texas (Hemphill County), Canadian — 2433 — Hemphill County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created August 21, 1876 Organized July 5, 1886 Named in honor of John Hemphill, 1809-1862 First Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the State of Texas Adjutant General of the Somervell . . . — Map (db m55742) HM
Texas (Hockley County), Levelland — 2506 — Hockley County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created August 21, 1876 Organized February 19, 1921 Named in honor of George W. Hockley Commander of the artillery at San Jacinto. Secretary of War of the Republic of Texas. Died in 1851. . . . — Map (db m73654) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11212 — Houston County
Created from Nacgodoches County June 12, 1837 Organized the same year named in honor of Sam Houston 1793-1863 Commander-in-Chief of the Texan Army at San Jacinto President of the Republic and Governor of the State of Texas . . . — Map (db m63530) HM
Texas (Hudspeth County), Salt Flat — 1435 — El Paso Salt War
Resentment over private control of the salt lakes in this region, often called Guadalupe Lakes, led to the El Paso Salt War 1877 which entailed the loss of many lives and much property — Map (db m61508) HM
Texas (Hudspeth County), Sierra Blanca — 2590 — Hudspeth County
Formed from El Paso County Created February 16, 1917 Organized August 25, 1917 Named in honor of Claude Benton Hudspeth Born in 1877 A native Texan Holder of larger ranching interests Member of the Texas Legislature and the . . . — Map (db m60750) HM
Texas (Hutchinson County), Borger — 319 — Battle of Adobe Walls
Fifteen miles to the site of the Battle of Adobe Walls Fought on November 25, 1864 between Kiowa and Comanche Indians and United States troops commanded by Colonel Christopher Carson 1809 – 1868 This was "Kit" Carson's . . . — Map (db m93256) HM
Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 478 — Fort Davis
Established by Lieut. Col. Washington Seawell with six companies of the Eighth U.S. Infantry in October 1854 for protecting travelers on the San Antonio-El Paso Road. Named in honor of the then Secretary of War, Jefferson Davis, it was abandoned by . . . — Map (db m26357) HM
Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 10475 — Jeff Davis County
Formed from Presidio County. Created March 15, 1887. Organized May 16, 1887. Named in honor of Jefferson Davis. 1806-1868. President of the Confederate States. Fort Davis, County Seat, Presidio County, 1875. County Seat, Jeff Davis County, . . . — Map (db m51483) HM
Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 10484 — Manuel Musquiz
Ruins of the ranch home of Manuel Musquiz, a pioneer who settled here in 1854 Abandoned due to Indian raids the deserted buildings served as a Ranger Station intermittently, 1880 - 1882 while the country was being cleared of . . . — Map (db m5836) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Beaumont — 10540 — The Lucas Gusher
Discovery well of the Spindletop Oil Field and the first important well on the Gulf Coast. It blew in on Jan. 10, 1901, flowing 100,000 barrels of oil a day from a depth of 1020 feet. The oil production which resulted made Beaumont a city and the . . . — Map (db m64411) HM
Texas (Jones County), Abilene — 2004 — Fort Phantom Hill
Established November 14, 1851 Abandoned April 6, 1854 Repaired and Used by Southern Overland Mail, 1858-1861 Sub-Post of Fort Griffin in 1871 and 1872 A thriving village which grew up in its vicinity after the Civil War served as . . . — Map (db m74737) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — Anson Jones
Born in Massachusetts January Twentieth 1798 was licensed to practice medicine in 1820. Came to Texas in 1833. Doctor Jones participated in the Battle of San Jacinto 1836 while a surgeon in the army of Texas. He was a member of the Congress of the . . . — Map (db m78967) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — 2844 — Jones County
Site of Emigrant Trail, the Frontier Military Road, and Fort Phantom Hill, founded in 1851 to guard the military road.      County created 1858 from Bexar and Bosque counties. Named for Anson Jones (1798–1858), a veteran of San Jacinto, . . . — Map (db m78965) HM
Texas (Jones County), Lueders — 2005 — 8.6 Miles South to Fort Phantom Hill
Established November 14, 1851 by the United States Army as a protection of the settlers against the Indians. Abandoned and burned April 6, 1854. Repaired and used by Southern Overland Mail, 1858-1861, sub-post of Fort Griffin, 1871-1872, temporary . . . — Map (db m78401) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), College Mound — 8535 — Methodist Church, 1844
In 1844 A.J. Beck, Henry Beck Wilson Fogleman, A.H. Henry W.T. Patton, Ed. King settled in this vicinity A Methodist church was organized in 1845 with Rev. J.W. Fields as pastor A.H. Henry, Ed. King, stewards, A.H. Henry . . . — Map (db m97065) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 8528 — Kaufman County
Created February 26, 1848 Organized August 7, 1848 Named in honor of David Spangler Kaufman 1812-1851 Came to Texas in 1837 and located at Nacogdoches Member of the Texas Congress 1839-1845 Member of the United States Congress . . . — Map (db m96206) HM
Texas (King County), Guthrie — 2944 — King County
Created Aug. 21, 1876, from Bexar County, whose diamond-shaped boundaries extended from the Rio Grande to the Panhandle to El Paso. Named for William King, who died at the Alamo. Chief industry, ranching, is reflected in its famous cattle brands: . . . — Map (db m105091) HM
Texas (Knox County), Benjamin — 2970 — Knox County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created February 1, 1858 Recreated August 21, 1876 Organized March 20, 1886 Named in honor of General Henry Knox 1759–1806 Major General of the Continental Army, 1781 . . . — Map (db m81302) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8204 — Lamar County
Created December 17, 1840 from Red River County Organized in 1841 Named in honor of Mirabeau B. Lamar, 1798 – 1859 Father of Texas education President of the Republic of Texas 1838 – 1841 Lafayette, 1841 . . . — Map (db m96841) HM
Texas (Lamb County), Earth — 5018 — Spring Lake
Indian camp and watering place extensively used in hunting buffalo. Became cattle territory in 1882 when Tom Lynch drove his herds from New Mexico. After acquisition by the Capitol Syndicate this became headquarters of largest division of the . . . — Map (db m104434) HM
Texas (Lampasas County), Lampasas — 2594 — Hughes' Springs
One of the Lampasas sulphur springs named in honor of first settler in this vicinity in 1853, Moses Hughes, whose wife regained health through its waters. — Map (db m71609) HM
Texas (Lavaca County), Hallettsville — 2340 — Hallettsville
Founded 1838 County Seat, Lavaca County since 1852 Named for Mrs. Margaret Hallett, widow of John Hallett, a member of Austin's colony and a veteran of San Jacinto, who donated the town site. — Map (db m95361) HM
Texas (Lee County), Giddings — 8154 — James Goucher
In this grave rests James Goucher and five members of his family murdered by Indians November 26, 1836. With the true pioneering spirit he had opened the first road from San Felipe to the settlements on the Colorado, known for many years as . . . — Map (db m84810) HM
Texas (Lee County), Giddings — 16066 — Serbin
Here in 1854 under the leadership of Rev. John Kilian Ev. Lutheran pastor about 600 Wends seeking religious liberty established the first Wendish settlement in Texas — Map (db m84606) HM
Texas (Lipscomb County), Higgins — 3082 — Lipscomb County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created, August 21, 1876 Organized June 6, 1887 Named in honor of Abner S. Lipscomb, 1789-1856 Secretary of State in President Lamar's cabinet Member of the Constitutional Convention, 1845 . . . — Map (db m55738) HM
Texas (Llano County), Llano — 14653 — Nine Miles West is the Enchanted Rock
From its summit, in the fall of 1841 Captain John C. Hays while surrounded by Comanche Indians who cut him off from his ranging company, repulsed the whole band and inflicted upon them such heavy loss that they fled. — Map (db m71920) HM
Texas (Llano County), Llano — 9452 — Packsaddle Mountain
Two and one half miles east on the Packsaddle Mountain in a battle fought August 4, 1873 Captain J. R. Moss, Stephen B. Moss William B. Moss, Eli Lloyd Arch Martin, Pink Ayers E. D. Harrington and Robert Brown routed a band of Indians . . . — Map (db m20643) HM
Texas (Loving County), Mentone — 2227 — Goodnight-Loving Trail
Blazed from the Fort Griffin-Dodge City Trail through New Mexico to Colorado about 1860 by Oliver Loving 1812-1867 first cattle trail driver from Texas — Map (db m61470) HM
Texas (Loving County), Mentone — 3142 — Loving County
Formed from Tom Green County Created February 26, 1887 Organized July 8, 1893 Named in honor of Oliver Loving, 1812-1867, farmer, rancher and an early trail driver. Mentone, the county seat — Map (db m61281) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — 14862 — Yellowhouse Canyon
Known to Spanish explorers of the 17th and 18th centuries - Described by Albert Pike who visited the region in 1832 - The last battle in Lubbock County between White buffalo hunters and the red men who had called the plains their own occurred on . . . — Map (db m106352) HM
Texas (Madison County), Normangee — 9621 — El Camino RealThe Old San Antonio Road
First blazed in 1691 by Captain Don Domingo Teran de Los Rios, first provincial governor of Texas, in an expedition officially directed by Father Fray Damian Massanet O.F.M. apostolic missionary and explorer in Texas. The general route was northeast . . . — Map (db m68680) HM
Texas (Mason County), Mason — 11285 — Mason County
Created January 22, 1858, and organized August 2, 1858, this county was named for its most important settlement, Fort Mason.      Garrisoned intermittently from July 6, 1851, to March 23, 1869, Fort Mason was named for Lt. G.T. Mason of the United . . . — Map (db m91741) HM
Texas (Mason County), Mason — 11275 — Site of Fort Mason
Established July 6, 1851 by the U. S. Army as a protection to the frontier Named in honor of Lieut. George T. Mason, killed in action near Brownsville, April 25, 1846 Albert Sidney Johnston, George H. Thomas, Earl Van Dorn and Robert E. Lee, of . . . — Map (db m29972) HM
Texas (Maverick County), Eagle Pass — Fort Duncan
Established by Captain S. Burbank, first U.S. Infantry, March 27, 1849 as a protection to western communication. Garrisoned by Federal troops until March 20, 1861 and since 1868. Now known as Camp Eagle Pass — Map (db m56146) HM
Texas (McCulloch County), Brady — 4747 — Site of Camp San Saba
Here was stationed, 1862-1864, Captain W.G. O’Brien’s company of mounted volunteers, a unit of the Frontier Regiment organized to protect the frontier against Indians. The regiment in 1864 became the Forty-Sixth Texas Cavalry in the Confederate Army. — Map (db m90987) HM
Texas (Medina County), Quihi — 5537 — Town of Quihi
Surveyed in October, 1844 by Henri Castro 1781---1861 Distinguished pioneer and colonizer of Texas Established in March, 1845 by ten families in charge of Louis Huth, agent for Castro Many settlers were killed by . . . — Map (db m64185) HM
Texas (Menard County), Menard — 4795 — Site of Fort McKavett
Established March 14, 1852 by the United States War Department as a protection to frontier settlers against hostile Indians. Named in honor of Captain Henry McKavett, who fell at the Battle of Monterey, September 21, 1846. Evacuated by federal . . . — Map (db m29879) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — Midland County
Formed from Tom Green County. Created March 4, 1885 Organized March 25, 1885 Named for its location which is halfway between Ft. Worth and El Paso. County Seat Midland First named Midway — Map (db m86535) HM
Texas (Milam County), Buckholts — 7939 — Bryant Station
Pioneer village of Milam County Established as an Indian trading post by Major Benjamin F. Bryant, frontiersman who had commanded a company in the Battle of San Jacinto. Appointed Indian agent in 1842 by Sam Houston President . . . — Map (db m90647) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 8004 — Steamboat Washington Landed Here
In the winter of 1850-1851 with Captain Basil M. Hatfield, commander, the Steamboat Washington landed here with a shipment of merchandise from Washington-on-the-Brazos to J. W. McCown and Co., merchants at Cameron. The first, last and only . . . — Map (db m74414) HM
Texas (Milam County), Hearne — 7950 — Port Sullivan
Early important trade and educational center. Established by Augustus W. Sullivan in 1835. River navigation extended to this point for many years. The Austin-East Texas and the Houston-Waco roads crossed here. On this spot was located Port Sullivan . . . — Map (db m84664) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 14050 — Site of Mission San Francisco Xavier de Los Dolores
Established by Franciscan missionaries in 1749 with the hope of civilizing and christianizing the Coco, Mayeye, Orcoquiza, Karankawa, and other tribes of Indians. The martyrdom of Padre José Ganzabal and the circumstances connected therewith caused . . . — Map (db m84661) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 7988 — Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria
Established by Franciscan missionaries in 1749 with the hope of civilizing and christianizing the Coco, Mayeye, Orcoquiza, Karankawa, and other tribes of Indians. The martyrdom of Padre José Ganzabal and the circumstances connected therewith caused . . . — Map (db m84618) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 7990 — Site of the Mission San Ildefonso
Established by Franciscan missionaries in 1749 with the hope of civilizing and christianizing the Coco, Mayeye, Orcoquiza, Karankawa, and other tribes of Indians. The martyrdom of Padre José Ganzabal and the circumstances connected therewith caused . . . — Map (db m84617) HM
Texas (Mills County), Goldthwaite — 3388 — Mills County
Formed from Brown, Comanche Hamilton and Lampasas Counties Created March 15, 1887 Organized August 30, 1887 Named in honor of John T. Mills 1817 - 1871 Judge of the Third and Seventh Judicial Districts in the Republic of . . . — Map (db m89810) HM
Texas (Mitchell County), Colorado City — 995 — Comanche Village Massacre
In this vicinity on a bank of the Colorado October 21, 1840 a Comanche Indian village was completely destroyed and much stolen property recovered including 500 horses 128 Indians were killed 34 were captured The expedition . . . — Map (db m73318) HM
Texas (Moore County), Dumas — 3455 — Moore County
Created 1876 from Bexar Land District. Named in honor of Edwin W. Moore (1810-1865), Commodore of the Navy, Republic of Texas. County was organized July 5, 1892, with Dumas (named for promoter of the townsite) as county seat. Stagecoach and . . . — Map (db m88789) HM
Texas (Motley County), Matador — 3483 — Motley County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created • Organized August 21, 1870 • February 5, 1891 Named in honor of Dr. Junius William Mottley 1812-1836 signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, Aide to General Rusk at the . . . — Map (db m104710) HM
Texas (Motley County), Matador — 12939 — Teepee City
Camp of early buffalo hunters. Only settlement west of Henrietta, north of Fort Griffin and south of Fort Elliott (now Mobeetie), 1875-1880. Headquarters of Texas Rangers under Captain G.W. Arrington at intervals, 1879-1881. Abandoned about 1886. . . . — Map (db m104861) HM
Texas (Nacogdoches County), Douglass — 9303 — Presidio Nuestra Señora de Los Dolores
Built by Capt. Domingo Ramon, 1716. Repaired and enlarged by Marquis of San Miguel de Aguayo, 1721. Abandoned about 1730. Built by the Spanish government as a fort and headquarters for soldiers to guard the East Texas missions and the borders of the . . . — Map (db m30037) HM
Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacgodoches — 9298 — Nacogdoches County
Home of the Nacogdoches Indians in the 17th century. Spanish settlements, 1716. Alternately settled and abandoned in 18th century due to French encroachments. Scene of the Fredonian Rebellion in 1827. Organized a municipality, 1832 under the . . . — Map (db m28737) HM
Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9399 — Charles S. Taylor(1808 - 1865)
Site of the home of Charles S. Taylor (1808 - 1865) Citizen of Nacogdoches, 1830-1865. A signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. Land commissioner and Chief Justice of Nacogdoches County. Born in London, England, in 1808. Died . . . — Map (db m27180) HM
Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9398 — Charles Standfield Taylor
Land commissioner of East Texas, 1883. A signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, 1836. Chief Justice of Nacogdoches County, 1837. District Attorney, 1839. Rio Grande land commissioner, 1854. Born in London, England 1808. Died November 1, . . . — Map (db m27210) HM
Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9271 — Haden Edwards
Empresario Leader of the Fredonian Rebellion, 1826-27 Sent to the United States to raise funds for the Texas Revolution, 1836 A leader in the development of a nation.Born in Virginia August 12, 1771 Died August 14, 1849 His wife Susan . . . — Map (db m27412) HM
Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9356 — Home of Adolphus Sterne
A pioneer citizen of Nacogdoches. Born in Cologne, Germany, April 5, 1801. Alcalde at Nacogdoches under the Mexican Government, member of the Congress of the Republic of Texas. Died March 27, 1859. Buried in Nacogdoches. Here General Sam Houston . . . — Map (db m29575) HM
Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9347 — Homesite of John S. Roberts(1796-1871)
A native of Virginia, came to Texas in 1826. An active participant in the struggle for Texas Independence. One of the leaders in Battle of Nacogdoches. Delegate to Consultation, November 3, 1835. Commanded the Nacogdoches Company in storming of . . . — Map (db m29705) HM
Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9346 — John S. Roberts
Sheriff in Natchitoches Louisiana in 1826. One of the leaders in Battle of Nacogdoches. Member of Consultation 1835. Commanded the Nacogdoches company in storming of Bexar, 1835. Signer of Texas Declaration of Independence. Born in Virginia, July 13 . . . — Map (db m27222) HM
Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9281 — La Calle Real del Norte
An 18th-century trail connecting the Indian villages of the Nacogdoche and Nasoni Indians. Traveled by Spanish missionaries, soldiers and settlers, French traders and American filibusters before Anglo-American colonists came to make Texas their home. — Map (db m29143) HM
Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9345 — On this site stood the old "Red House"
Headquarters of Colonel Jose de las Piedras, commander of the Mexican garrison in Nacogdoches, 1827-1839. The property, after the Texas Revolution, of General Thomas J. Rusk. Served as classrooms for the University of Nacogdoches, 1845-1852. — Map (db m29325) HM
Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9301 — Site of Old North Church
First known as Union Church as several denominations joined here to worship as early as 1836. Organized in 1838. A small log church was completed that year on ten acres donated by Dr. John M. Sparks. The present structure dates from 1859. In its . . . — Map (db m29792) HM
Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9268 — Site of the home of James Dill
Born in Pennsylvania in 1770. Pioneer Indian trader. Recognized by the King of Spain as a public - spirited citizen. First Alcalde of Nacgodoches under the Mexican government in 1821. — Map (db m27387) HM
Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9302 — Site of the Home of Juan Antonio Padilla
A native of Nacogdoches. Land Commissioner, 1829. Vice-Governor of the State of Coahuila and Texas. Active in the Texas Revolution. Died in Houston in July, 1859. His wife, Maria Montes del Padilla, Died here, August 14, 1846. — Map (db m29295) HM
Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9348 — Site of the Home of Thomas J. Rusk1803 - 1857
Soldier - Statesman of the Republic of Texas - A hero of San Jacinto - Commander-In-Chief of the army 1836 - Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, 1839 - President of the Constitutional Convention, 1845 - United States Senator, 1846 - He called . . . — Map (db m27122) HM
Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9286 — Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe
A Spanish outpost founded in 1716 by the pioneer Franciscan Antonio Margil de Jesús as a means of civilizing the Nacogdoche Indians. Abandoned temporarily due to the French incursions from Louisiana in 1719. Restored by the Marquis of Aguayo in . . . — Map (db m29275) HM
Texas (Nacogdoches County), Nacogdoches — 9275 — William ("Bill") GoyensTexas' First Black Capitalist — 1794-1856
Born a slave in South Carolina, 1794 Escaped to Texas in 1821 Rendered valuable assistance to the Army of Texas, 1836 Interpreter for the Houston-Forbes Treaty with the Cherokees, 1836 Acquired wealth and was noted for his charity Died at . . . — Map (db m29461) HM
Texas (Navarro County), Corsicana — 7237 — Jose Antonio Navarro
Lover of liberty. Foe of despotism. Born in San Antonio, Texas, February 27, 1795. Died January 13, 1871 and buried there. Member of the Legislature of Coahuila and Texas, 1821; land commissioner of De Witt's colony 1831 and of Bexar District, . . . — Map (db m62998) HM
Texas (Navarro County), Corsicana — 11622 — The Birthplace of the Petroleum Industry
West of the Mississippi River, in this well, drilled by H. G. Johnston, E. H. Akin, and Charles Rittersbacher under contract for a water well for the city of Corsicans in 1894, the first oil in commercial quantities in the . . . — Map (db m60000) HM
Texas (Ochiltree County), Perryton — 3662 — Ochiltree County
Formed from Young & Bexar territories Created, August 21, 1876 Organized, February 21, 1889 Named in honor of William Beck Ochiltree, 1811-1867 Associate Justice, Supreme Court of Texas, 1842; Secretary of the Treasury, 1844; . . . — Map (db m93481) HM

328 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 128
Paid Advertisement