Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Civilian Conservation Corps Historical Markers

Markers relating to the Great Depression-era New Deal federal work relief program that operated from 1933 to 1942 in the United States for unemployed, unmarried young men from relief families.271 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 71
 
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., September 22, 2011
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt Marker
New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Welshpool — President Franklin Delano Roosevelt1933 - 1945
The Great Depression 1929-1941 The depression was world-wide. In the U.S., the banking system collapsed and 12.8 million people were unemployed. Hardest hit were youth, minorities, the elderly, and workers in the consumer durables industries. . . . — Map (db m54783) HM
Alabama (Bibb County), Brierfield — Sunshine & Dorothy Morton HouseBrierfield Iron Works Historical State Park
Originally located off Patton Chapel Road in what is today Hoover, Alabama, the Sunshine and Dorothy Morton house was moved to the Brierfield Park in March 2005 by the Morton family and restored over the next two years by restoration specialist . . . — Map (db m37177) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Chewacla State Park(CCC)
Side 1 Under President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal (1933-1942), the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established to provide work for single young men. The CCC's Company 4448, Camp Alabama SP-12, began work in September 1935 to . . . — Map (db m85164) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Civilian Conservation Corps(C. C. C.) Camp — 1935~1940
This rock entrance is all that remains of Camp Ala. SP-16, 3486 and Camp Ala. TVA-7, 3483 which were built here due to available water. They were part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's conservation projects. When WW II started the men enlisted in . . . — Map (db m55607) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Trans-Canyon Telephone Line
Trans-Canyon Telephone Line, built in 1935 by CCC workers, maintained by Mountain Bell, has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m78832) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — Hart Pump House
A designated Sedona Historic Landmark built in 1932 by the Civilian Conservation Corps — Map (db m94814) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Duffy Brothers Grocery StoreBuilt 1912
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Cormick E. Boyce built this large brick structure intending it to be used as a bank, although it served as a grocery store during . . . — Map (db m33417) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Summerhaven — Lemmon Rock Lookout TowerCoronado National Forest
Lemmon Rock Lookout Tower was erected in 1928. It is the oldest lookout still in use on the Forest. This general locale has been used as a fire lookout since the Coronado Forest Reserve was established in 1902. The current lookout structure was . . . — Map (db m55554) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Vail — The CCC WorkerCamp SP-10-A — Colossal Cave Mountain Park 1934 – 1937
Honoring the young men who served in the Civilian Conservation Corps here and across the nation. With shovel and hammer, trowel and chisel, they moved earth, planted trees, crafted stone, and built structures that shape our landscape and remain a . . . — Map (db m30614) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — Mount Diablo Beacon:Left Dark by War, Lighted in Remembrance
A large flashing light atop this rotunda once guided airplanes flying through the night skies of the Bay Area. Originally held aloft on a 75-foot tower erected by Standard Oil in 1928, it served as a crucial route-finding aid in the days before . . . — Map (db m93631) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — Mt Diablo State ParkWhat's In A Name?
Like many other isolated peaks, Mt. Diablo is steeped in lore - much of it involving the mountain's name. On a 1824 map, "M. del Diablo" signifies a Christian Indian village, not a peak. The reference to "diablo" or devil can be traced back to . . . — Map (db m93632) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Lompoc — La Purisima Mission State Historic Park
Across this bridge lies California's eleventh mission and a glimpse of life during the 1820's. The Civilian Conservation Corps restored the buildings and grounds between 1934 - 1941. We hope you enjoy your visit to the past. — Map (db m11116) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Camp Mt. Madonna
[Side-bar on left:] At New Almaden During the Depression (1933-1942) and after most mining activity had ceased, New Almaden once again gave jobs, hope and future to young men through a program created by Franklin D. Roosevelt called . . . — Map (db m52778) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — English Camp
[Side-bar on left:] Once a Bustling Community Within view stood English Cam’s Methodist Church, Company Store, Mine Office, School House, Centennial Hall, Helping Hand Hall and a multitude of family cabins. As quicksilver . . . — Map (db m52775) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Site of English Town ★ CCC Camp Mt. Madonna
The Civilian Conservation Corps, established in 1933 by the Federal Government for nine years became one of the most constructive national service programs. CCC Companies: 1917-V, 1235, 3341, 3325, 739, 4500 occupied this camp between 1933 and 1939. . . . — Map (db m52774) HM
California (Shasta County), Castella — 4 — CCC Camp (1934-1939)
For just six short years Sims was the location of a bustling Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp... With its wooded valley and beautiful river setting, Sims was a haven to the boys from Company 978 who came from the busy cities of San . . . — Map (db m69843) HM
California (Shasta County), Castella — 1 — Sims Bridge: A CCC First
It took a bit of grit and determination for the Forest Service and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) crew to build this sturdy bridge... Raymond Huber, who supervised the project remembers... “I was given a pickup and a plan of a 160-foot . . . — Map (db m69821) HM
California (Shasta County), Old Station — Historic Crossroads Gateway
This stone monument, built in 1935, stands at the historic north entrance to Lassen Volcanic National Park from Lassen National Forest. Before the highway intersection was rerouted to its current location, visitors drove past this monument into the . . . — Map (db m58126) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Tule Lake — Civilian Conservation Corps
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt established the Civilian Conservation Corps on March 31, 1933, to provide employment for America's youth and promote the nation's economic recovery. The CCC's work involved conservation projects on forest, park . . . — Map (db m547) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Tulelake — Attracted to Water
“When I was a child…I played around Tule Lake where the tules and grass grow thick… We used to go out in the tall grass… and look for chub fish… and shoot at (them) with our arrows.” Peter Schonchin, last surviving . . . — Map (db m63249) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Tulelake — Camp Tulelake
1935-1942 Civilian Conservation Corps This camp was built and staffed by the CCC, an organization that was established during the Great Depression by President Franklin Roosevelt to reduce unemployment and to preserve the nation's . . . — Map (db m88000) HM
California (Tulare County), Three Rivers — The CCC Boys
Shaping a Park The CCC Boys Tunnel Log reminds us of the work of young men who struggled to survive the Great Depression in the 1930s. The drive-through hole in the log was carved by the “boys” of the Civilian Conservation Corps . . . — Map (db m103433) HM
Colorado (Elbert County), Kiowa — 272 — Trail Under Siege / Rising to the Challenge
Trail Under Siege Indians of Colorado’s High Plains Kiowa and Comanche Indians migrated to these prairies in the 1700s, followed by Cheyennes and Arapahos in the early 1800s. The region’s vast grasslands, thick bison herds, and brisk fur . . . — Map (db m45756) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Red Rocks Park — Red Rocks AmphitheatreCity and County of Denver Landmark
Principle construction by Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1848, SP-13C, Mt. Morrison, CO. 1936 - 1941 Dedicated as a memorial to all who served at Mt. Morrison and to the 3 million who served in the CCC nation-wide, 1933 - 1942. The CCC left . . . — Map (db m57683) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Red Rocks Park — Red Rocks Park
Red Rocks Park is a national Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places. The Trading Post and the Amphitheater are Denver Landmarks. The Trading Post, an example of the Pueblo-style architecture, is made of brick and stucco and . . . — Map (db m57641) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Fruita — Rocky RoadsColorado National Monument
The first people to witness this view were probably Indians who had to scale the steep cliffs and talus slopes. Later, ranchers dug narrow passages up into the canyons to bring their cattle to graze in the rich highland trails below. Begun during . . . — Map (db m61910) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Cornwall Bridge — Camp Macedonia Company 1191
To Honor The Men Of Camp Macedonia Company 1191 Established 1935 Civilian Conservation Corps 1933-1942 Created By President Franklin D. Roosevelt Renewing The Country's Natural Resources And Challenging The Human Spirit Of A . . . — Map (db m41092) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Torrington — To Honor The Men Of Camp Wolcott
To Honor The Men Of Camp Wolcott Company 176 Established 1933 Civilian Conservation Corps 1933-1942 Created By President Franklin D. Roosevelt Renewing The Country's Natural Resources And Chellenging The Human Spirit Of A Nation . . . — Map (db m30242) HM
Connecticut (Middlesex County), East Hampton — Comstock Covered Bridge
Comstock Covered Bridge Built in 1873 by the Towns of Colchester and East Hampton The Comstock Covered Bridge is one of only three historic covered bridges remaining in Connecticut. With a main span 80 feet in length (measured from the faces of . . . — Map (db m84109) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — An Army of Restoration (CCC)
To provide employment and vocational training for youthful citizens of the United States…through the performance of useful public work in connection with the conservation and development of the natural resources of the United States and its . . . — Map (db m4491) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Springfield Crossroads — SC-108 — St. John's Methodist Church
The origin of this congregation can be traced to the organization of “Johnson’s Society” in the 1830’s. Meetings were held in private homes and the local school. On July 3, 1852, trustees were elected to supervise the building of the . . . — Map (db m38635) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 17 — Aunt Betty's StoryBattleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail
Elizabeth Proctor Thomas (1821-1917), a free Black woman whose image appears on each Brightwood Heritage Trail sign, once owned 11 acres in this area. Known, respectfully in her old age as "Aunt Betty," Thomas and her husband James farmed and kept . . . — Map (db m72830) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — Fort Stevens
Civil War Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 The partial reconstruction of Fort Stevens that you see today was done by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1937. No visible evidence of the original fort remains. Battle of Fort Stevens July 11-12, . . . — Map (db m3028) HM
Florida (Baker County), Olustee — A Legacy Remembered
(Left side text) During the Great Depression, President Roosevelt approved a plan to recruit thousands of unemployed young men into a "Civilian Conservation Corps" (CCC) From 1933-1942 the CCC employed over 3 million Americans. They . . . — Map (db m55674) HM
Florida (Columbia County), near Mikesville — "CCC Boy" Statue
This "CCC Boy" Statue was erected by Chapter 143, NACCCA, Gainsville, Florida In 2007. Chapter 143 was organized by CCC veterans of the area on October 1, 1988. This statue was donated to Chapter 143 and O'Leno State Park by . . . — Map (db m66128) HM
Florida (Columbia County), near Mikesville — Civilian Conservation CorpsApril 5, 1933   June 30, 1942
2,876,638 American youth served in 4500 CCC Camps restoring ravaged lands of a depressed America. Some Accomplishments 2 to 3 billion trees planted, 800 parks built, 3980 historical sites restored, and 6 million days . . . — Map (db m65804) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — Fort Clinch
Fort Clinch Reconstruction And construction of roads Buildings and grounds Was performed by Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1420 1937-1942 — Map (db m33457) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — Fort Screven BakeryBuilding #97
Activated just prior to the Spanish-American War and inactivated at the close of World War II, Fort Screven served as a military post for almost 50 years. During that time, Fort Screven was a coast artillery installation, an infantry post, District . . . — Map (db m13076) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — The Parade
The Confederates used earth and a “blindage” of timbers as protection against shot and shells falling within the fort. To reduce casualties from flying debris, the “light colonnade” or veranda roof along the gorge was . . . — Map (db m67782) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Rutledge — Hard Labor Creek State Park
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate Hard Labor Creek State Park This park was built in 1934 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a New Deal program sponsored by President . . . — Map (db m17574) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Rutledge — Rutledge
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Rutledge In the 1840s, the heirs of Hezekiah Rutledge deeded right-of-way to the Georgia Railroad. The farm came to be referred . . . — Map (db m17303) HM
Georgia (Stephens County), Toccoa — Ralls Dormitory & Broom Factory
A building to be used as a print shop was constructed by the Kiwanis Club and the citizens of Toccoa on the site later occupied by Ralls Dormitory. The plan for a print shop never developed, so the building was turned into a broom factory. But . . . — Map (db m64442) HM
Idaho (Franklin County), Franklin — Franklin Relic Hall - 1937
The log Relic Hall is a fine example of Depression Era rustic architecture. Completed in 1937, it also represents a successful early effort to preserve and interpret community history. The building was designed in 1935 by architect Chris Gunderson . . . — Map (db m44458) HM
Illinois (Coles County), Lerna — The Reuben Moore Home
Left Panel: “This will certify that the foregoing plot of the town of Farmington laid by me as proprietor is correct. Witness my hand and seal this 30th day of April 1852.” J. J. . . . — Map (db m30979) HM
Illinois (Du Page County), Oak Brook — Ben Fuller HouseGraue Gristmill
The Ben Fuller House is one of, if not the oldest surviving buildings in DuPage County. The farmhouse was built sometime between 1835 and 1842 by Benjamin Fuller, one of DuPage County’s earliest settlers. Mr. Fuller reportedly arrived to the area . . . — Map (db m48058) HM
Illinois (Menard County), Tallula — Historic Tree
To the south stands a mature red hawthorne tree, planted around 1930 under the direction of the Garden Clubs of Illinois to beautify the highways leading to Lincoln's new Salem. Several organizations, including the Civilian Conservation Corps, . . . — Map (db m57346) HM
Indiana (Jennings County), North Vernon — 40.1999.1 — Muscatatuck Park
Side one: Opened 1921 as Indiana's fourth state park for its natural beauty and recreation potential. Named Vinegar Mills State Park after stone-cutting mill in park. Renamed Muscatatuck State Park 1922. Stone shelters and stairways, . . . — Map (db m45877) HM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), New Carlisle — Rooted in Studebaker History
In 1926 the Studebaker Corporation purchased 850 acres from area farmers to develop an automobile proving ground. This same year, the Clubhouse was built for employee lodging, including a caretaker's apartment. The Clubhouse transformed over the . . . — Map (db m64814) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 112 North 1st Avenuecirca 1874
T.S. Mardis constructed this building and most of the brick structures facing the square. Dry goods and boots and shoes were sold here in the 1880's. By the 1890's the first floor was a hardware store with a tin shop in the back. For the next 60 . . . — Map (db m72803) HM
Kansas (Crawford County), Crawford State Park — C.C.C. Volunteer
We dedicate this monument to the 3.5 million men of the Civilian Conservation Corps. We celebrate their legacy of accomplishments they left for the future to enjoy. This is the home of Camp Farlington, Co. 788th "Fire Devils" SCS-10-L, who built . . . — Map (db m50187) HM
Kansas (Crawford County), Crawford State Park — Education
Another advantage the Civilian Conservation Corps offered to its enrollees was the chance to further their education. In their spare time, they could enroll in classes, such as radio operator and maintenance, surveying, photography, leather works, . . . — Map (db m50207) HM
Kansas (Crawford County), Crawford State Park — Lake Crawford
This lake constructed by the United States Department of Agriculture Soil Conservation Service Civilian Conservation Corps cooperating with Kansas State Forestry-Fish-Game Commission — Map (db m50236) HM
Kansas (Crawford County), Crawford State Park — The Beginning
The story of the Civilian Conservation Corps cannot be told without knowing the tale of the times from which it was created. The stock market crash of 1929, which led to the Great Depression coupled with the lack of soil conservation enabled the . . . — Map (db m50186) HM
Kansas (Crawford County), Crawford State Park — The Camp of Co. 788 of the Civilian Conservation Corps
You Are Here! The Water Tower. Rumor had it that whoever had the job of testing and chlorinating the drinking water in the tower received more than his share of ribbing from the men. The only recorded time of discontent was over the sulfur . . . — Map (db m50233) HM
Kansas (Geary County), Fort Riley — National Rifle Range1900-1992
This area encompasses a portion of the National Rifle Range. The idea for such a site originated with Congressional legislation in 1904. The Army's growing emphasis on marksmanship and the idea that Fort Riley was the geographical center of . . . — Map (db m74298) HM
Kansas (Marion County), Marion — C.C.C. Worker
From 1933 to 1942 the Civilian Conservation Corps had more than 3.5 million enrollees, including 38,163 Kansas youth and veterans. The CCC left a legacy of improvements in our natural resources and infrastructure. This statue honors them for . . . — Map (db m60995) HM
Kansas (Marion County), Marion — Marion County Park & Lake
Marion County Park & Lake is the result of two FDR New Deal programs that were born during the 1930s depression. The Civilian Conservation Corps and Works Progress Administration's goals were to put men to work and conserve our natural . . . — Map (db m60994) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Morris County 4-H Fairgrounds Circle of History
1821 • The Santa Fe Trail is first used by travelers throughout this area. 1827 • Big John Spring, now buried beneath the highway berm 100 ft. south, is discovered and named by George Sibley survey party. 1844 • John C. Fremont's party, . . . — Map (db m44996) HM
Kansas (Stafford County), Hudson — Cultivating America’s Bread BasketAgriculture on the Prairie
When settlers came to the prairie in the 1870s, they learned from the land that grasses grew better than any other crop here. In 1874, Russian Mennonite immigrants brought seeds of Turkey Red winter wheat from the Russian steppes. Well . . . — Map (db m64254) HM
Kansas (Stafford County), Quivira National Wildlife Refuge — A Brief History of the Growth of the National Wildlife Refuge System
1903 • Pelican Island established in Florida 1905 • Congress establishes the Wichita Mountains Forest and Game Preserve 1908 • National Bison Range established in Montana 1912 • National Elk Refuge established in Wyoming 1918 • . . . — Map (db m64274) HM
Kentucky (Hickman County), Columbus — Polk's Firepower
This Model 1829 Cannon # 209 was affectionately called a "32-pounder". This simply means it shot a 32-pound, round iron shot. Most of the large cannons used at Forts DeRussy, Henry, Donelson, Pillow, and Island #10 were this size. Cast in 1839 at . . . — Map (db m37300) HM
Kentucky (Hickman County), Columbus — The History of Columbus, Kentucky
Settlement and Early Growth The French explorers Marquette and Joliet first explored the area around Columbus in 1673. The French gave Columbus the name "Iron Banks," believing the color of the banks indicated the presence of iron. In 1783, the . . . — Map (db m37014) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Corbin — 2002 — CCC at Cumberland Falls
Some 80,000 Kentuckians served in Civilian Conservation Corps. Three camps located in area (Companies 509, 563, and 1578). All helped develop Cumberland Falls State Park, blazing foot trails, drawing maps, and erecting cabins. Men also built DuPont . . . — Map (db m9811) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Corbin — 2002 — Civilian Conservation Corps
Roosevelt's New Deal included Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Begun in 1933, the Corps employed men throughout U.S. building roads and dams., and planting trees for flood control. Jobless boys ages 18-25 received three meals a day and usually . . . — Map (db m9812) HM
Maine (Cumberland County), Cape Elizabeth — CCC Headquarters
One of Franklin Delano Roosevelt's New Deal programs, the Civilian Conservation Corps hired unemployed young men during the Great Depression. The CCC provided training to men between the ages of 18 and 25 for work on conservation projects including . . . — Map (db m25390) HM
Maine (Cumberland County), Cape Elizabeth — Civilian Conservation Corps
This plaque was dedicated by Chapter 111 Alumni by former members of the Civilian Conservation Corps in memory of Franklin Delano Roosevelt and the members, who served at this post and other C.C.C. camps in Maine and throughout the United States . . . — Map (db m50361) HM
Maine (Cumberland County), South Portland — Civilian Conservation Corps
This plaque was dedicated by Chapter 111 Alumni by former members of the Civilian Consservation Corps in memory of Franklin Delano Roosevelt and the members, who served at this post and other C.C.C. camps in Maine and throughout the United States . . . — Map (db m55601) HM
Maine (Hancock County), Bar Harbor — Thunder Hole Ranger Station
Built as a ranger residence in 1934, the Thunder Hole ranger station later housed the first interpretive displays in the park. Rangers were stationed here to answer visitor questions and present programs about the park. The Civilian Conservation . . . — Map (db m54414) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Avalon — The C.C.C. Builds Our ParkThe Civilian Conservation Corps Legacy
"There is much to be discovered < indistinguishable > way of beautiful scenery inaccessible on account of lack of trails and < indistinquishable > time this parkwill be one of the nicest in this part of the county." - Tell W. Nicolet, . . . — Map (db m8845) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Thurmont — A Tradition of ConservationCatoctin Mountain Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
Many organizations and individuals have played a part in cultivating Catoctin Mountain Park’s legacy of conservation and education. Since the 1930’s thousands of adults and school children have participated in learning-by-doing programs. They have . . . — Map (db m61237) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — New Germany LakeNew Germany State Park — Friends of New Germany
Long before 1930, thirteen acres of low-lying land in the village of New Germany was flooded and dammed. An earthen dam was constructed, largely through the efforts of John Swauger, to hold back the waters of Poplar Lick Run for the operation of his . . . — Map (db m61167) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Swauger MillNew Germany State Park — Friends of New Germany
In 1850, this land was the site of a three-story gristmill, which processed wheat, buckwheat and cornmeal for the people who lived in the village of New Germany. John Swauger built the gristmill piece by piece, using hardwood from his own property, . . . — Map (db m61169) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Civilian Conservation Corps1933 -1942
A nationwide program established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt to perform emergency natural resource conservation work on public lands. The C C C employed millions during the depression and set the standards for the development of our State and . . . — Map (db m42005) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Cabin John — Lockhouse 10Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park
After being neglected for nearly a decade, the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal received new life with the New Deal programs in the late 1930s. Two African American Civilian Conservation Corps camps were setup at nearby Cabin John and Carderock to restore . . . — Map (db m105328) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Zittlestown — Washington Monument
Volunteer villagers of nearby Boonesboro celebrated their Independence Day July 4, 1827, by building and dedicating this first monument to the memory of George Washington. Repaired and altered many times over a hundred years by patriotic citizens, . . . — Map (db m1908) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Brimfield — Civilian Conservation Corps (1933-1941)
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was created by president Franklin Roosevelt during the Great Depression to provide employment opportunities and to improve the country’s forest and recreation resources. Administration and logistics were the . . . — Map (db m106408) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), Mackinac Island — Scout Barracks / Parade Ground
Scout Barracks In 1929, Park Commissioner Roger Andrews invited eight Eagle Scouts, including future President Gerald Ford, to serve as the “Governor’s Honor Guard” and tour guides at Fort Mackinac. Scouts raised . . . — Map (db m107087) HM
Michigan (Montmorency County), Lewiston — L0647 — Camp Lunden
In June 1933 two hundred unmarried, able-bodied men between the ages of seventeen and twenty-three, members of the Civilian Conservation Corps, set up camp on Hunt Creek. Soon after, they relocated to this site, which they named Camp Lunden. In 1936 . . . — Map (db m33293) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0182 — Fort Wayne
No hostile shots have ever been fired from this star-shaped fort built in the 1840s to guard against a British invasion from Canada which never came. This third bastion to protect the river approach to the city was named for General "Mad" Anthony . . . — Map (db m14292) HM
Minnesota (Crow Wing County), Garrison — Mille Lacs Lake
Names from the fur traders' phrase "The Thousand Lakes Region." This lake is 1250 feet above sea level and covers about 200 square miles. It formerly included much low ground and several adjacent lakes. When visited by Du Luth in 1679, Sioux . . . — Map (db m78405) HM
Minnesota (Kandiyohi County), Willmar — 37 — C.C.C. Worker1933 - 1942
. . . — Map (db m79461) HM
Minnesota (Morrison County), Little Falls — Lindbergh State Park
After Charles Lindbergh took off on his motorcycle in 1920, headed for the University of Wisconsin, he rarely came back to Little Falls. He made one visit by airplane in 1923, landing his "Jenny" - the first plane he owned - in a field near . . . — Map (db m78196) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — A New Deal for Fort Ridgely State ParkThe New Deal and Fort Ridgely State Park — United States Civilian Conservation Corps
President Franklin D. Roosevelt Creates the CCC During the early 1930s close to 40% of America's youth (16 to 24 years old) were unemployed and not in school. Twenty-five percent of adult men were unemployed. Out of this great economic . . . — Map (db m71893) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — CCC Camp Life is a Healthful OneThe New Deal and Fort Ridgely State Park — United States Civilian Conservation Corps
"Life in a CCC camp is a different kind of life than most boys have known. An enrollee, as a CCC man is called, does not have his own private room. There is no one to pamper him. He lives with 200 other men of . . . — Map (db m71888) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Fort Ridgely State Park's Buildings TodayThe New Deal and Fort Ridgely State Park — United States Civilian Conservation Corps
The legacy of the hard work by the young men of the CCC and veterans of the VCC during the five years the camp was here lives on in the structures we still use and enjoy today. "The CCC has . . . — Map (db m71918) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Working Year-Round to Develop the ParkThe New Deal and Fort Ridgely State Park — United States Civilian Conservation Corps
Although Fort Ridgely had been a state park since 1911, little development for recreation had occurred. Under the direction of the Department of Interior, the National Park Service (NPS) planned, designed, and supervised the . . . — Map (db m71881) HM
Minnesota (Scott County), Savage — Camp Savage
During World War II, some 5,000-6,000 Japanese American soldiers, members of the U.S. Army's Military Intelligence Service, were given intensive and accelerated classes in the Japanese language at Camp Savage. Their subsequent work translating . . . — Map (db m41673) HM
Missouri (Carter County), Van Buren — CCC - A Peace-Time Army
During the 1930s, a depression slowly strangled the nation. By 1933, nearly 13 million people suffered unemployment. In March, newly elected president Franklin D. Roosevelt responded with a bill creating the Civilian Conservation Corps. Its purpose . . . — Map (db m36191) HM
Nebraska (Antelope County), Orchard — 296 — The Prairie States Forestry Project
The Prairie States Forestry Project was initiated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1935 to combat the severe wind-caused soil erosion of the Dust Bowl days. From 1935 through 1942, the U.S. Forest Service, working with the Works Progress . . . — Map (db m9633) HM
Nebraska (Thayer County), Hebron — 452 — The Hebron CCC And POW Camps

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was authorized by Congress in 1933 to provide employment and vocational training to young men during the Great Depression. The CCC worked on forestry and soil conservation projects across the nation. . . . — Map (db m79890) HM

Nevada (Clark County), Boulder City — Bootleg Canyon
Originally a Native American trail, Bootleg Canyon – also called the Hooch Highway was a well-known backdoor into Boulder City and the Hoover Dam construction site during prohibition. Bootleggers brewed illegal alcohol in stills hidden in . . . — Map (db m29324) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 12 — Westside School1923
The first school in West Las Vegas opened with two rooms and two teachers for four grades. From 1904 until 1923, children from McWilliams' Townsite crossed the railroad tracks to get to school in Clark's Townsite. This dangerous situation . . . — Map (db m51054) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Overton — Lost City Museum
This property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Museum was built in 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps to display artifacts of prehistoric Native American cultures. — Map (db m4038) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Overton — The Cabins
These three cabins were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.) soon after the Valley of Fire became a state park in 1935. They are constructed of native sandstone and were used for many years to shelter campers and travelers visiting the . . . — Map (db m72360) HM
Nevada (Humboldt County), Orovada — Frank W. Barker, George J. Kennedy, Walter James, Earnest R. Tippin, Frank J. Vitale
. . . — Map (db m59254) HM
Nevada (Lincoln County), Panaca — Cathedral Gorge
More than a million years ago, a large freshwater lake covered all of Meadow Valley - the area along U.S. 93 between Caliente and Panaca. Later, uplifting and faulting of the terrain caused the waters to drain, leaving behind a thousand feet of . . . — Map (db m62077) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bass River — Civilian Conservation Corps
Site of Civilian Conservation Corps Company 225    Camp S-55 1933 – 1942 — Map (db m76180) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), High Bridge — High Bridge Company 1268 / Civilian Conservation CorpsVoorhees State Park
[Main Marker]: On October 31, 1933, CCC Company 1268, S.P.-5, arrived at High Bridge, N.J., four years after former Governor Foster M. Voorhees donated his 325 acre farm, known as Hills Acres, to the State of New Jersey to become a park. . . . — Map (db m16930) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Sunnyside — Echo Hill
Established as a summer camp in 1936 by Robert and Hermia Lechner. Site developed through federal government's Works Progress Administration (WPA) and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) programs. — Map (db m16822) HM
New Jersey (Monmouth County), Sandy Hook — A Last Tragic Episode of the American Revolution
On New Years Eve 1783, British forces were evacuating New York City as part of their final withdrawal from the new American Nation. The British warship H.M.S. Assistance was anchored in Sandy Hook Bay when 11 seamen deserted the ship. 1st . . . — Map (db m22579) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Branchville — Stokes State Forest
Governor Edward C. Stokes established the Board of Forest Park Reservations in 1905. The new forestry commission acquired 5,432 acres on Kittatinny Mountain in 1907 to create the E. C. Stokes Reserve. Stokes State Forest grew to 12,429 acres by . . . — Map (db m16817) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sussex — Public Parks: Refuge & Recreation for AllHigh Point State Park
The First Public Park Was an Urban Oasis When Europeans first arrived in America the land seemed limitless. However, by the late 1800s settlements stretched from the Atlantic to the Pacific. More people were living in crowded cities and needed . . . — Map (db m24583) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sussex — The Gift of a State ParkHigh Point State Park
High Point – One of New Jersey’s First State Parks Like many early parks, High Point was privately owned for many years. During the early 1900s it was the summer estate of Anthony Kuser and his wife, Susie Dryden Kuser. Senator John F. . . . — Map (db m24581) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Lake Arthur — Civilian Conservation CorpsLake Arthur Campsite
The Civilian Conservation Corps was established to provide employment for the nation's young men during the Great Depression of the 1930's. More than 50,000 were enrolled in the program in New Mexico between 1933 and 1942. CCC enrollees at the Lake . . . — Map (db m56142) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Carlsbad — Carlsbad Caverns National ParkCCC Rattlesnake Springs Campsite
The Civilian Conservation Corps provided employment for more than 50,000 young men in New Mexico during the great depression of the 1930's. At the National Park Service CCC Camp, they developed nearby Rattle Snake Springs into a permanent water . . . — Map (db m61474) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Carlsbad — Civilian Conservation Corps Carlsbad Campsite
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) provided employment for more than 50,000 young men in New Mexico during the Great Depression as part of President Roosevelt's New Deal Program. Three CCC companies were located where the Carlsbad Hospital now . . . — Map (db m61461) HM
New Mexico (Socorro County), Magdalena — Magdalena Livestock Driveway
South across the road lies one of the west's historic "hoof highways" which was used annually from 1885 until 1971. Sheep and cattle were driven to and from the railroad at Magdalena, NM or to Springerville, AZ. The driveway was 5 to 10 miles wide . . . — Map (db m60565) HM
New York (Allegany County), New Hudson — Hanging Bog
Hanging Bog is a man-made pond built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930's on then federally owned land. In 1962 Hanging Bog was transferred to New York State. The pond is referred to as Hanging Bog because of its unique mat of floating . . . — Map (db m86561) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Red House — Civilian Conservation Corps
1933-1942 Allegany State Park - Salamanca, New York Camp SP-50 - Red House - Company 1250 Camp SP-51 - Red House - Company 249 Camp SP-19 - Red House - Company 2218 Dedicated this 7th day of October 1990 to the memory of those young men . . . — Map (db m77525) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Red House — Outdoor Museum
A foundation is all that remains of a pavillion-style, outdoor museum, built by Company 249 of the Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.). It was one of the first C.C.C. projects completed in Allegany State Park.

Articles in the Salamanca . . . — Map (db m77526) HM

New York (Cattaraugus County), Red House — Ski Jumpingat Allegany State Park
This is the site of Allegany State Park's 30-meter and 50-meter ski jumps. The two jumps and the park's ski slopes at Bova were Depression-era projects constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps and New York State's Temporary Emergency Relief . . . — Map (db m77524) HM
New York (Chemung County), Elmira — Newtown Battlefield ReservationA Remarkable History
In 1879, a crowd of thousands celebrated the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Newtown and dedicated a monument built by the Newtown Monument Association atop the hill that figured prominently in accounts of the battle. Soon after, the monument . . . — Map (db m33484) HM
New York (Franklin County), Paul Smiths — The Site of Camp S-60Barnum Pond - Town of Brighton — 1933-1942
The Site of Camp S-60 Barnum Pond - Town of Brighton 1933-1942 U.S. Civilian Conservation Corps Company 220 Paul Smiths, N.Y. Honored for these accomp[lishments: Fought fires, helped build Meacham Lake and Fish Creek Campsites, . . . — Map (db m57181) HM
New York (Hamilton County), Blue Mountain Lake — Lake Durant
Lake Durant Named in Honor Of William West Durant 1850 - 1934 Who Devoted Much of his Life To Developing the Adirondacks And Making Known their Beauties — Map (db m46723) HM
New York (Hamilton County), Wells — Sacandaga Public Campsite
1885 - 1935 Campsite. Sacandaga Public Campsite. One of the First Two Built On Forest Preserve Land In 1920 by the Conservation Dept. For Public Recreation. — Map (db m32952) HM
New York (Jefferson County), Sackets Harbor — 7 — Fight for the Cantonment AreaThe Americans' Last Stand
The Americans suffered heavy losses and were ordered to retire and form a new defense line at their wooden barracks. it was here that some of the most intense hand-to-hand combat occurred. The U.S. regulars were trapped in their rooms stubbornly . . . — Map (db m75774) HM
New York (Monroe County), Hamlin — A New Park
The young men of the Civilian Conservation Corps' Company 1252 built much of what you see in the park today, including the comfort station and concession stand here. They built these structures from heavy stone and wooden timbers that they quarried . . . — Map (db m82682) HM
New York (Monroe County), Hamlin — Building a Park
Originally called Northwest Beach Park when Monroe County began its development in 1929, the park's name was changed to Hamlin Beach State Park when New York State took title in January 1938. Company 1252 of the Civilian Conservation Corps arrived . . . — Map (db m82648) HM
New York (Monroe County), Hamlin — The CCC Goes to Work
In 1935 and 1936, the young men of Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1252 pruned trees, cleared the beach, and built roads and a large parking area in the park. They also quarried stone in Orleans County that would later be used to construct the . . . — Map (db m82655) HM
New York (Monroe County), Hamlin — The West Shelter
The West Shelter, or Shelter 3 as it is known today, was built by the men of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 1252 in 1937. They quarried the stone locally and cut the timbers in the CCC camp sawmill. The West Shelter as it . . . — Map (db m82681) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam — Home of Jimmy Carter
U.S. Army Rotterdam Housing Area Home of Jimmy Carter October 1952 - October 1953 James Earl Carter, Jr., President of the United States 1977-1981, and his wife Rosalynn, lived in Quarters Number 7 when he . . . — Map (db m6870) HM
New York (Wyoming County), Attica — Site of U.S. CCC Camp #1285
Site of U.S. CCC Camp #1285 1935-1940 World War II P.O.W. Camp 1942-1945 — Map (db m62084) HM
New York (Wyoming County), Genesee Falls — CCC Statue
This statue is dedicated to the more than 3,000 men who served in four Civilian Conservation Corps camps in Letchworth State Park between 1933 and 1941. They joined more than three million others nationwide during the "Great Depression" in an . . . — Map (db m75933) HM
New York (Wyoming County), Genesee Falls — Lower Falls Camp SP-49Letchworth State Park
On this field stood the 24 buildings of Camp SP-49, one of four Civilian Conservation Corps camps in Letchworth State Park. In operation from July 1935 until October 1941, Camp SP-49 included a tree nursery of over 30,000 plants for use in . . . — Map (db m75910) HM
North Carolina (Bladen County), White Lake — I-78 — White Lake CCC Camp
An installation of the Civilian Conservation Corps. Initiated modern park improvements. Established here 1835; closed 1942. — Map (db m60360) HM
North Carolina (Hyde County), Swan Quarter — B 58 — Mattamuskeet Nat'l Wildlife Refuge
The refuge, observation tower, and hunting lodge were rehabilitated by Civilian Conservation Corps enrollees, 1934-42. — Map (db m57012) HM
North Carolina (Swain County), Cherokee — The Appalachian Trail
You are standing alongside the Appalachian Trail, one of the longest continuous footpaths in the world. The trail winds more than 2,150 miles through 14 states. Few stretches are more remote or difficult than the section through the Great Smokies. . . . — Map (db m20064) HM
North Carolina (Swain County), Cherokee — The Great Smokies
(Side One): The Great Smokies: scenic, diverse, culturally rich. The scenic view here are well known; lesser known is the abundance of life. The Smokies' rugged topography creates a diversity of species found in few other places in North . . . — Map (db m20066) HM
North Carolina (Swain County), Great Smoky Mountains National Park — Civilian Conservation Corps
In Honor of the Civilian Conservation Corps 1933 – 1942 whose hands built roads, trails, bridges, buildings, campgrounds, and picnic areas in Great Smoky Mountains National Park for the benefit and enjoyment of the people. . . . — Map (db m58439) HM
North Carolina (Swain County), Great Smoky Mountains National Park — Hands That Built
Nature forged the Great Smokies, but the hands of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) helped shape the national park we know today. During the 1930s, enrollment peaked as 4,300 men worked here, building roads, campgrounds, trails, and buildings. . . . — Map (db m99065) HM
North Carolina (Transylvania County), Brevard — P 67 — Civilian Conservation Corps
CCC camps were established as a New Deal relief measure. Camp John Rock, among first, operated here, 1933-36. — Map (db m43543) HM
North Dakota (Billings County), Medora — 4 — CCC Camp
The Civilian Conservation Corps was a peacetime “army” of civilians between 1933 and 1941 which served to create jobs for unemployed men and to protect natural resources. Two CCC camps were located near Medora. In 1934 the CCC camp of . . . — Map (db m87782) HM
North Dakota (Billings County), Medora — Tribute to the Civilian Conservation Corps
I propose to create a Civilian Conservation Corps . . . We can take a vast army of these unemployed out into healthful surroundings. We can eliminate to some extent at least the threat that enforced idleness brings to spiritual and moral . . . — Map (db m87538) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Hamley Run — Snake Ridge Lookout Tower
Reconstructed on this site, this lookout tower once stood off S.R. 278 southwest of Nelsonville in Athens County. Known as the Snake Ridge Lookout Tower this tower was originally built in 1939. Many of the lookout towers were built by the . . . — Map (db m28511) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Wright-Patterson Air Force Base — Final Honors
The Wright brothers were the most memorialized of Americans in the 20th century. Of all their countrymen, only Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln have inspired commemorative zeal to match. Wright biographer Tom Crouch To perfect a flying . . . — Map (db m4593) HM
Ohio (Meigs County), Rock Springs — 53-18 — Meigs County Fairgrounds
Situated in an agriculturally rich area, county fairs have long been a significant tradition and event in Meigs County. The Meigs County Agricultural Society held its first fair on October 22, 1851, in Middleport and its second at the Rock-Spring . . . — Map (db m28495) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Fort Ancient — Changes at Fort Ancient
Many changes have occurred at Fort Ancient over the last 2,000 years. Hopewell Indians built the site and used it as a ceremonial and social gathering area. The Fort Ancient Indians lived in the South Fort 500 years after the Hopewell people left. . . . — Map (db m26618) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Fort Ancient — 9-83 — The Civilian Conservation CorpsThe Civilian Conservation Corps of Fort Ancient
Side A: The Civilian Conservation Corps During the Great Depression of the 1930s, the federal government established the Civilian Conservation Corps, known as the CCC or triple C's under the direction of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New . . . — Map (db m26482) HM
Oregon (Deschutes County), Sisters — Time Traveler
Welcome to historic Fish Lake. Now a quiet and peaceful place, it was once filled with the hustle and bustle of people working and traveling across the Cascades. Nearby is the Fish Lake Remount Depot which has been in continuous use as a . . . — Map (db m62025) HM
Oregon (Grant County), John Day — Civilian Conservation CorpsMalheur National Forest
The CCC was created in 1933 to provide young men useful work during the Depression. Camp Canyon Creek (Company 1231) was established in 1937. The CCC built numerous facilities such as District offices, the John Day Compound, fire guard stations, . . . — Map (db m107548) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gardners — Camp Michaux
This is the site of Pine Grove Furnace Prisoner of War Interrogation Camp (1943-1945). Here the U.S War Department operated a clandestine facility where intelligence officers interrogated enemy prisoners. During its thirty-month existence, thousands . . . — Map (db m84037) WM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gardners — Pine Grove Furnace POW Interrogation Camp
During WWII, the US War Dept. operated this secret facility a mile north along Michaux Rd., one of three such sites in the US. Military intelligence relating to topics such as weaponry development and Axis operations was gained from thousands of . . . — Map (db m84036) HM
Pennsylvania (Lycoming County), Trout Run — Civilian Conservation Corps
In March 1933, the federal government created the CCC to combat the Great Depression. During nine years, the CCC enrolled some 3,000,000 youths nationwide--including 194,572 men at 114 camps in Pennsylvania. Members of the 367th CCC company first . . . — Map (db m43552) HM
Pennsylvania (Tioga County), Wellsboro — Civilian Conservation Corps
In March 1933, the federal government created the CCC to combat the massive unemployment of the Great Depression. Continuing until 1942, the CCC enrolled some three million youths nationwide. In Pennsylvania, 194,572 men were enrolled at 114 camps. . . . — Map (db m43209) HM
Pennsylvania (Tioga County), Wellsboro — United States Civilian Conservation CorpsColton State Park
Born at our nation’s lowest point, the CCC rebuilt a land and its people. We all owe thanks to the thousands of men who helped build Pennsylvania’s parks and reforest its hills.

Beginning late in 1929, the Great Depression was a desperate time . . . — Map (db m90048) HM

South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Parsons MountainLand Renewed
At 832 feet, Parsons Mountain holds the title of the highest point in the general geographic area surrounding Parsons Mountain. Mr. James Parsons, the mountain's namesake, acquired it through a land grant in 1772. In the mid 1800s, gold was . . . — Map (db m43727) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Sullivans Island — Civilian Conservation Corps
Marker Front:Civilian Conservation Corps March 31, 1933 to June 30, 1942 The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established by the 73rd Congress in order to put young men to work restoring the natural resources of this country . . . — Map (db m19119) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Barracks in the Woods
Look around and you'll notice lumps in the terrain. These overgrown foundations are all that's left of wooden barracks that once housed the men who built this park. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) began work here in 1935, transporting . . . — Map (db m20301) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Bull's Eye!
An archery range was one of the planned recreational features when the Civilian Conservation Corps designed the park in 1936. Eventually laid out between here and the Sulphur Springs parking lot, the course began with a posted diagram and . . . — Map (db m20243) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Open to the Sky
Political speeches, group baptisms, concerts and more have drawn spectators to this amphitheatre since the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built it of local stone in the 1930s. It is one of South Carolina's only remaining amphitheaters with . . . — Map (db m20274) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Welcome to Paris Mountain State Park
About Paris Mountain State Park What is now Paris Mountain State Park traces its beginnings to an innovative plan by the City of Greenville to protect this fragile mountain watershed while supplying the city with water. Four lakes were . . . — Map (db m20147) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — What's So Special About this Bridge?
Leading America out of the Great Depression, President Franklin Roosevelt implemented programs to give citizens jobs that improved our nation's infrastructure: adding schools, roads, parks and, yes, bridges! One such building program was the . . . — Map (db m20145) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Hodges — Park’s / Greenwood County
Park's: America's Most Trusted Gardening Resource Building a Family Tradition Since 1868 It all started in 1867 when 15 year-old George Watt Park, a very enterprising lad, passed around to friends and neighbors a list of seeds he had . . . — Map (db m11628) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Lake GreenwoodA Changing Landscape
A Lake is Formed The Great Depression of the 1930s altered the economy and landscape of Greenwood County. Farmers were impoverished, land values declined, and local textile mills struggled to survive. President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New . . . — Map (db m30443) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — New Priorities of Protection
Rock walls communicate that a place is important and worth of protection -- a sanctuary. In the 1940s, Civilian conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees were using the boulders scattered before you to erect a rock wall guarding Lake Greenwood State . . . — Map (db m30424) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Ninety Six National Historic Site / Greenwood County
Ninety Six National Historic Site A Brief History of Ninety Six National Historic Site The Ninety Six National Historic Site is an area of unique historical and archaeological significance. In the late 1700s traders gave the town its . . . — Map (db m11129) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Welcome to the Lake Greenwood State Recreation Area
About Lake Greenwood State Recreation Area Lake Greenwood became a part of the South Carolina State Park System in April 1938. the land for the park was donated by Greenwood County. Originally the park consisted of 1,114 acres. Later the . . . — Map (db m30441) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Mountain Rest — Andrew Pickens Ranger District / Oconee County
Andrew Pickens Ranger District Side The Ranger District was named for Andrew Pickens, an able commander of South Carolina's rebel militia during the American Revolution. Born of Scots-Irish immigrants near Paxtang, Pennsylvania, Pickens . . . — Map (db m14210) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Mountain Rest — Civilian Conservation Corps Monument
"The promptness with which you seized the opportunity to engage in honest work, the willingness with which you have performed your daily tasks, and the fine spirit you have shown in winning the respect of the communities in which your camps have . . . — Map (db m14329) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Mountain Rest — The Civilian Conservation Corps1933-1942
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1933 as part of the comprehensive relief effort during the grim depression years. Three million men were involved in the CCC during its ten-year . . . — Map (db m14350) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Mountain Rest — Walhalla State Fish HatcheryThe CCC and Resource Conservation
The historic buildings below are products of the great Depression-era Works Progress Administration (WPA) and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The WPA, the CCC, and President Franklin D. Roosevelt's other New deal programs provided jobs to . . . — Map (db m14217) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Oconee State Park
Oconee State Park was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s during the Great Depression and continues to serve as a destination itself and as a gateway to the nearby Chattooga and Chauga rivers and to the blue Ridge and Smoky . . . — Map (db m14324) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Oconee Station / Oconee County
Oconee Station The South Carolina Frontier Experience Oconee station & the William Richards House This site was a frontier outpost and a meeting place between European American and Cherokees of this region during the late . . . — Map (db m14372) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Patriot's Hall: Oconee Veterans MuseumLest We Forget — South Carolina National Heritage Corridor
Built in 1933 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, the “Old Rock Building” was constructed from rock found at nearby historic Stumphouse Tunnel. The building is owned by Oconee County. Before becoming the home to the Oconee Veteran's . . . — Map (db m46853) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Pickens — A CCC Classic
Young men determined to escape economic hardship built this lodge from 1973-1940. They were enrollees in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), one of President Franklin Roosevelt's programs to battle the Great Depression. The CCC provided . . . — Map (db m30217) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Pickens — Civilian Conservation Corps1933-1942
Erected in appreciation of the effort, skill and dedication of the men of the Civilian Conservation Corps. This peacetime army healed the scars on our landscape, beautified and protected our mountains, seashores and forests, and created the . . . — Map (db m30218) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Pickens — Parkitecture
Ever wonder why so many park buildings share the same look? That style -- rendered in stone and wood to help the structures complement their natural surroundings -- is called "parkitecture" and it became the hallmark of the Civilian Conservation . . . — Map (db m30168) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Pickens — Table Rock State Park
About Table Rock State Park Table Rock Mountain is a towering landmark at the edge of the Blue Ridge Escarpment, most recognized for its spectacular natural beauty. Within the watershed of Table Rock lie more than 3,000 acres of . . . — Map (db m30063) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Pickens — The Civilian Conservation Corps1933 - 1942
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1933 as part of the comprehensive relief effort during the grim depression years. Three million men were involved in the CCC during its ten-year existence. . . . — Map (db m21051) HM
South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Two Parks, One Mountain
Kings Mountain National Military Park The sacrifices and significance of what happened on this mountaintop echo loudly through two centuries of American history. Five times-in 1815, 1855, 1880, 1909, and 1930-great crowds of Americans from . . . — Map (db m17675) HM
South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-35 — The CCC in York County / Tom Johnston Camp, (SCS#10), CCC
The CCC in York County One of the most successful of Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal programs was the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), created in 1933. It gave many young men and World War veterans jobs planting trees, fighting forest fires . . . — Map (db m24818) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Houghton — Civilian Conservation Corps Camp
Camp BF-2 (Sand Lake): 2 1/2 miles W and 2 1/2 miles S at headquarters. Company: 2749--6/28/35 - 7/31/39. The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal work-relief program during the Great Depression. From 1933 to 1942, the CCC provided work . . . — Map (db m100979) HM
South Dakota (Custer County), Custer — Civilian Conservation Corps Camp
Camp F-14 Lightning Creek: located 0.7 mile NW on road 288. Companies: 1783V--10/17/33-Spring 34 791--4/30/34-Fall 41 The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal relief program during 1933-1942 that gave jobless men work renovating abused . . . — Map (db m34296) HM
South Dakota (Fall River County), Hot Springs — The CCC's Enduring LegacyWind Cave National Park
The Civilian Conservation Corps established a camp here during the Great Depression of the 1930s to make improvements to the park. This camp employed 200 men at a time and provided much needed jobs and training. Over an eight-year period, the young . . . — Map (db m70977) HM
South Dakota (Haakon County), Philip — Civilian Conservation Corps Camps
Camps NP-2: 8 miles S of Wall on SD 240. 13 miles W (1 mile W of Sage Creek); and NP-3: 3/4 mile S. of Cedar Pass Visitor Center. Company: 2754 (NP-2) -- 11/1/39 - 10/24/41; (NP-3) -- 10/24.41 - 3/25/42.

The Civilian Conservation Corps was a . . . — Map (db m45287) HM

South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Civilian Conservation Corps Camp
Camp F-6 (Roubaix): 100 yards N of Lake entrance: W of road. Companies: 792--6/3/33-5/15/35: 10/18/35 6/1/40; 10/1/40-10/11/41; 2759V-(Detachment from Park Creek)--5/15/35-10/18/35. The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal work-relief . . . — Map (db m34248) HM
South Dakota (Meade County), Sturgis — Civilian Conservation Corps Camps
Camps D-Army-1 & SCS-6 (Fechner): 1/2 mile S on W edge of Ft. Meade D-Army-1 company: 2758--7/20/34-10/31/35. SCS-6 companies: 2765--10/15/36-5/27/42; 4725V--5/28/42-7/27/42. The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal work-relief program during . . . — Map (db m34300) HM
South Dakota (Pennington County), Hill City — Civilian Conservation Corps Camp
Camp F-2 (DF-2) Horse Creek: Located 2 miles W on Horse Creek. Companies: 791--5/22/33-4/30/34 2752--7/30/34-10/21/35 2761--10/25/35-01/36 2748--01/36-5/25/36 The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal relief program during 1933-1942 that . . . — Map (db m34275) HM
South Dakota (Pennington County), Hill City — Multiple Purpose Management in Action
This young Ponderosa Pine forest was thinned by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1935 to improve the growth of the remaining trees[.] The first commercial harvest was made in 1959 when the area was thinned again for posts and poles. From now on a . . . — Map (db m37116) HM
South Dakota (Pennington County), Johnson Siding — Civilian Conservation Corps Camp
Camp F-4: Pactola Campsite inundated by Lake Pactola. Companies: 1789--6/8/33-10/35 2748--5/25/36-1940 The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal relief program during 1933-1942 that gave jobless men work renovating abused lands. The Army . . . — Map (db m34249) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Townsend — Civilian Conservation Corps
In Honor of the Civilian Conservation Corps 1933 – 1942 whose hands built roads, trails, bridges, buildings, campgrounds, and picnic areas in Great Smoky Mountains National Park for the benefit and enjoyment of the people. “If you . . . — Map (db m58440) HM
Tennessee (Coffee County), Manchester — The Civilian Conservation Corps
The Civilian Conservation Corps was launched by President Franklin D. Roosevelt April 5, 1933 as a lifeline for undernourished sons of the Great Depression. Each company consisted of about 200 men who were housed in Tennessee barracks under the . . . — Map (db m81376) HM
Tennessee (Hardin County), Shiloh — 4C 30 — Civilian Conservation CorpsCo. 2425 MP-3
CCC Company 2425, with Negro veterans of WW I as its members, was formed at Ft. Oglethorpe, Georgia, June 27, 1933. The Corpsman then moved to Shiloh National Military Park and lived in tents while building Camp Young, which was to be their . . . — Map (db m19199) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Confederate ParkReunions and Memorials
Opened in 1906 as part of the Memphis Park and Parkway System, Confederate Park commemorates the Battle of Memphis. When Confederate forces retreated to Mississippi after the Battle of Shiloh in April 1862, unfortified Memphis became vulnerable to . . . — Map (db m82849) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 14638 — The Civilian Conservation Corps and Forestry in Texas
Continuing efforts started in the 1920s by the Texas Forest Service (TFS), the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), established through the Emergency Conservation Work Act (1933) during the Great Depression, aided in efforts to preserve Texas forests. . . . — Map (db m29427) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Zavalla — 16536 — Camp Nancy
Camp Nancy began as one of the many logging camps established in the piney woods of East Texas during the early 20th century. The camp was first created in Nacogdoches County, but was moved to the Angelina County community of Dunkin ca. 1918. Once . . . — Map (db m37285) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 12974 — Site of Booker T. Washington School
With overcrowded buildings at the African American school in southwestern Bartlett, the Bartlett trustees bought four buildings from Camp Swift in Bastrop to enlarge the facilities. A bond issue passed in 1948, and plans began for a U-shaped . . . — Map (db m29037) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9725 — Longhorn Cavern Administration Building
Longhorn Cavern opened as a state park in 1932. From 1934 to 1942, Company 854 of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked here to explore and develop the cavern. Using hand labor and native materials, the CCC workers built this structure in a . . . — Map (db m27593) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 13138 — Scenic Drive
As early as 1881, El Paso leaders promoted the idea of creating a place along the base of the Franklin Mountains to provide visitors a panoramic view of the area. The automobile brought new attention to the idea, and in 1920, the city council and . . . — Map (db m37872) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Socorro — Rio Vista Farm
English: El Paso County's second poor farm, known as the El Paso Poor Farm, was established here in 1915. John O'Shea, a wealthy farmer and businessman whose farm was nearby, assumed operation of the farm. His wife, Agnes O'Shea, was in . . . — Map (db m37987) HM
Texas (Foard County), Crowell — Foard CoEst. Feb. 21, 1891
Mr. J.G. Witherspoon has been called the Father of Foard Co., for he was the governing force which led the organization of a new county. Through his acquaintance with people in several surrounding counties, he was able to acquire the 700 sq. miles . . . — Map (db m81394) HM
Texas (Houston County), Ratcliff — 7035 — Ratcliff CCC Camp
J.H. Ratcliff's 1880s sawmill and village here gave way to major timber industry operations that by the early 1930s had decimated Houston County's densest virgin forest. As part of federal efforts to restore the nation's natural resources, Civilian . . . — Map (db m29454) HM
Texas (Randall County), Canyon — 16005 — The Civilian Conservation Corps at Palo Duro Canyon State Park
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a New Deal program developed under the administration of President Franklin D. Roosevelt to provide jobs to the unemployed during the great depression of the 1930s. The program was initially designed to . . . — Map (db m91527) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 16822 — Civilian Conservation Corps at Fort Griffin
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) operated nationwide between 1933 and 1942 to conserve natural resources and to provide work for young men during the Great Depression. The Federal program provided employment for 2.5 million young men working . . . — Map (db m101585) HM
Texas (Taylor County), Buffalo Gap — 12511 — The Civilian Conservation Corps at Abilene State Park
President Franklin D. Roosevelt and the U.S. Congress created the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1933 to provide jobs on public lands for unemployed workers, specifically young men and World War I veterans. Quick to recognize the benefits of . . . — Map (db m79332) HM
Texas (Trinity County), Groveton — 7960 — Groveton
Named for a grove of black jack oak trees, Groveton resulted from the establishment of the Trinity County Lumber Company sawmill in 1882. After the Trinity and Sabine Railroad Company built a sixty-five mile branch line through area forests, the . . . — Map (db m53396) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Escalante — 501 — Old Boulder Mail Trail
The isolated trails between Boulder and Escalante, Utah, were important in the history of the two towns. The foot trail, used by Indians for centuries, connected the two areas and was known as the Death Hollow Trail. Mules, horses, or people . . . — Map (db m74759) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — Dalton Wells
Civilian Conservation Corps Camp DG-32 (Co. 234) 1935-1942 During the Great Depression of the 1930s, CCC Camps were scattered all over the USA. They provided gainful employment to youth of the nation with work on public service . . . — Map (db m47587) HM
Utah (San Juan County), Blanding — C.C.C.
. . . — Map (db m95064) HM
Utah (Washington County), Leeds — "They Were Poor, Hungry, and They Built to Last"The Civilian Conservation Corps
The era of the "Great Depression" began with the crash of the stock market in 1929. The economy of the United States changed dramatically. Americans were in peril; unprecedented numbers were jobless. President Franklin D. Roosevelt took office in . . . — Map (db m59941) HM

271 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 71
Paid Advertisement