Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Missouri, Pleasant Hill Downtown Association Historical Markers

Markers placed by the Pleasant Hill Downtown Association highlighting building histories, many being listed in the National Register’s Pleasant Hill Downtown Historic District.
 
105 First Street and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 25, 2015
105 First Street and Marker
Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 105 First StreetHistoric Building 1881

In 1858 John Armstrong purchased this and surrounding land from the U.S. knowing the Pacific Railroad would site its station here. Armstrong sold some land to the railroad for $1.00. By 1865, when the railroad began construction, business men . . . — Map (db m88421) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 111 First StreetHistoric Building 1870

This building was the post office from 1874-90. Other tenants included an insurance agency, a variety store, a shoe shop. and the Commercial Bank (1912). Since 1955 it has been a radio and TV shop, photo shop, telephone office, watch repair shop, . . . — Map (db m88423) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 113 Wyoming StreetHistoric Building 1891

Until 1977 this building was always a drug store. Some space was rented to the Mo. Kan. Telephone System (Bell) for their central office. A veterinarian also leased space. A church leased the building from 1977 to 1986 at which time Randy and . . . — Map (db m88417) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 117 First StreetHistoric Building circa 1895

From 1895 to 1913 Rolly Brothers restaurant was here. They had a waiting room for ladies in front and a dining room being cut off by a row of palms. In 1904 the rear half was added facing the Mo. Pacific Depot enabling the restaurant to cater . . . — Map (db m88569) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 118 First StreetHistoric Building circa 1903

First housed a funeral parlor until 1906. For the next 52 years O.L. Beasley and his heirs the Woodmancys operated a clothing store. From 1962-77, it was a sporting goods and liquor store. Later a pawn shop. After extensive remodeling it became . . . — Map (db m88425) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 119 First StreetHistoric Building circa 1907

The first building was destroyed by fire in 1893. In 1907 the present building was erected for a pool hall. It was constructed to hold a second story that was never built on. The pool hall is believed to be the oldest in the state of Missouri . . . — Map (db m88567) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 120 First StreetHistoric Building

No record available of when 120 First St. was built. From 1902 to 1907 it was a post office. From 1907 to 1930 a grocery store. On July 26, 1909 Carrie Nation gave a lecture in front about the evils of alcohol. It has been an electrical shop, . . . — Map (db m88428) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 121 First StreetHistoric Building 1894

In June 1894, the new building was the home of a drug store. The upstairs was occupied by a savings & loan co and a real estate co. In 1904 the upstairs became the offices of a doctor and a lawyer. In 1929 a bakery was opened downstairs, then a . . . — Map (db m88485) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 124 First StreetHistoric Building 1893

This building was the home of the Citizens State Bank from 1893-1943. The assets were purchased and incorporated into the Pleasant Hill Bank. From 1943-58 it was a shoe and dress shop. In 1958 it became a liquor store for several years. Later . . . — Map (db m88429) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 126 First StreetHistoric Building 1900

From 1900 until 1915 this building was the home of various jewelry businesses, then the Bargain Spot and in 1917 a shoe shop. From 1919-1921 it was a millinery store. Early 1921 it was a feed store. Later that year Pleasant Hill Times Publisher . . . — Map (db m88460) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 129 Wyoming StreetHistoric Building 1920

The first frame building was built in 1868 as a home for boots and shoes. It was a shoe repair shop until 1916. In 1920 Jones Lumber Co. was moved to this location after the original building was razed. Later it was a shoe repair and store . . . — Map (db m88419) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 134 First StreetHistoric Building circa 1890

Since 1890 this location has been a barber shop. Half the building has been an insurance agency and jewelry store. A new barber pole was installed in 1908. It is now in Miller's Museum.

Current owner is Joan Mitchell — Map (db m88462) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 135 First StreetHistoric Building 1884

Constructed for $11,000 by John C. Knorpp, the second floor became the Knorpp Opera House, featuring vaudeville, drama and community functions. The ground floor became a grocery. In 1893 the opera hall was leased to the Masonic Lodge then, in . . . — Map (db m88479) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 136 First StreetHistoric Building circa 1868

A bakery was here 1867-95. In 1891 a fire started up the street. Men were on top of 136 pouring on water from a line of buckets. A restaurant here in 1905 with sleeping rooms upstairs advertised "25 cents gets a square meal." In 1920 a cleaning . . . — Map (db m88469) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 140 First StreetHistoric Building 1868

Was first used as a savings bank and housed banks until 1908. By 1890 the upper floors were used as lodge halls. Other occupants were dentists, real estate, loan, insurance, lawyers, telephone office and living quarters. The first floor has . . . — Map (db m88474) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 400 Cedar St.Historic Building circa 1860

This was the original site of the stone mill owned by F.H. Marshal and Son. Here they operated a corn mill, saw mill, a turning lathe and repair shop. In 1898, the top was removed so the red brick Kellogg Opera House could be built on the . . . — Map (db m88321) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Historic 115 Wyoming Street1866

This oldest building downtown stands on the original Pleasant Hill land grant of 1854 with a [sic] 126 years of continuous use.

In the 19th century, it was a furniture store and the town post office.

In the 20th century, it housed . . . — Map (db m88415) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Memorial BuildingHistoric Building 1948

In 1944 the American Legion and American War Dads joined forces to honor the war dead with this Memorial Building. In 1947 the V.F.W. and the Ladies Auxiliaries joined them in a fund drive to save expenses. Volunteers cleaned salvaged bricks . . . — Map (db m88372) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Missouri Pacific Railroad DepotHistoric Building circa 1903

The first depot was of wood frame and built on this site in 1866. It burned in 1901. In 1903 this building was built for the Missouri Pacific R.R. and called the "finest in the state." In 1915 the Wells Fargo office here was robbed. The night . . . — Map (db m88338) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Pleasant Hill, Missouri

[Side A] Pleasant Hill dates back to Missouri's early pioneer days. As early as 1823, there was a trading post located two miles east of the present town that was operated by a French Canadian by the name of Blois.

In 1828, David Creek . . . — Map (db m88330) HM


20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement