Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

National Society of Colonial Dames of America Historical Markers

Markers placed or sponsored by any Chapter of the National Society of Colonial Dames of America. The NSCDA promotes appreciation for the people, places and events that led to the formation and development of our country.
 
Ecor Bienville Marker image, Touch for more information
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 6, 2010
Ecor Bienville Marker
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Ecor Bienville1702-1743 — The first recorded name of Selma
. . . — Map (db m37658) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), Tyler — Talisi visited by De SotoSept. 18, 1540
. . . — Map (db m81920) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — U.S. Marine Hospital
Built 1838-1841. In Operation 1842-1952. Served Confederate and Union Troops, 1861-1865 — Map (db m86357) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Site of Indian Town Tawasa1540-1814
This stone marks the site of the Indian town Tawasa Visited by De   Soto September 5-13-1540 Also by Bienville 1715 — Map (db m72176) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Childersburg — De Soto's Visit
. . . — Map (db m44230) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — California-Arizona Maneuver AreaHeadquarters of General George Patton — 1942
Training troops in desert warfare in preparation for Operation "Torch." The invasion of German held North Africa. The world's largest military installation, training 60 divisions and more than one million soldiers. — Map (db m99284) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — John Haynes
John Haynes 1594 – 1654 Of Copford Hall. Essex England. Third Governor of Massachusetts. A founder of this commonwealth & its first Governor. A lover of religious liberty. A man trusted and honored. Near this place he was buried & by . . . — Map (db m44068) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Thomas Hooker
Thomas Hooker 1586 – 1647 A leader of the founders in this commonwealth. A preacher of persuasive power. A statesman who based all civil authority on the free consent of the people. This tablet is placed near the site of his burial by The . . . — Map (db m44070) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Fort Casimir
was built by the Dutch in 1651 and recaptured by them from the Swedes, 1655. Site now lies beneath the Delaware 250 feet E.N.E. from this stone which is erected by the Delaware Society of the Colonial Dames of America, 1905, to commemorate the . . . — Map (db m57130) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Forest Hills — Pierce Mill
The last of several grain mills operating on Rock Creek during an era when most American mills derived their power from small streams. Located near an Indian site. The land was conveyed to Isaac Pierce by the Revolution patriot William Deakins in . . . — Map (db m79739) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Fort Davis — Fort DavisCivil War Defenses of Washington
The Civil War Defenses of Washington Fort Davis One of several earthworks commenced late in 1861 to guard the nation’s capital from the ridge east of the Anacostia River. The fort was named in honour of Colonel Benjamin F. Davis of the 8th New . . . — Map (db m40690) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Fort Dupont — Fort DuPontCivil War Defenses of Washington — 1861 - 1865
Panel 1: Civil War Defenses of Washington Fort DuPont This small work was one of the defenses begun in the fall of 1861 on the ridge east of the Anacostia River. It was named after Admiral Samuel DuPont, a commander of the South Atlantic . . . — Map (db m46425) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Dumbarton HouseHeadquarters of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America — Georgetown Historic District
The site was part of a tract called “The Rock of Dumbarton” patented 1703 by Ninian Beall. The house was probably started 1799 by Samuel Jackson. It was completed 1805 by Joseph Nourse, first Registrar of the Treasury. He sold the . . . — Map (db m95765) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Evermay — Georgetown Historic District
Samuel Davidson, a Scot of original character, purchased the site and built Evermay, 1792-1794, with proceeds of the sale of lands he owned which include part of the present site of the White House and Lafayette Square. Davidson was buried in a . . . — Map (db m33792) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The Original Georgetown ReservoirNational Society Colonial Dames XVII Century
Site of the original Georgetown Reservoir 1859-1932 Stone wall and iron fence 1871 — Map (db m98980) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Petworth — St. Paul's Episcopal
Here, the first church edifice within the future district of Columbia was erected in 1719; a "chapel of ease" of St. John's Church, Broad Creek. It was built of wood with earthen floor. The 100 acre tract named "Generosity" (Comprising the church . . . — Map (db m70948) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — Pensacola Lighthouse
Construction began 1856, was lit 1859 and is still in use at the present time. This lighthouse replaced the original lighthouse built 1824, the first lighthouse on the Gulf Coast. — Map (db m50405) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — DeSoto TrailDe Soto National Memorial
Near here Hernando DeSoto with his men landed May 30, 1539 and began his march westward to the Mississippi River. This marker commemorates the 400th anniversary of his arrival on the shores of Florida. — Map (db m100632) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe
In Ocmulgee Fields camped Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe and his men on their way to Coweta Town for the purpose of making the treaty with the Creek Confederacy in 1739 — Map (db m59596) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Colonial Dames House1928 — (The Andrew Low House)
Georgia Society of the Colonial Dames of America This house was built by Andrew Low about 1848 Among the distinguished guests who visited here were William Makepeace Thackeray in 1853 and 1856 General Robert E. Lee in 1870 Home of . . . — Map (db m13550) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-38 — Jonathan Bryan(1708 – 1788)
Born in Pocotaligo, SC, Jonathan Bryan accompanied James Oglethorpe on his initial visit to Yamacraw Bluff in 1733. One of Georgia’s largest landholders, Bryan was a supporter of evangelist George Whitefield and encouraged religious services for his . . . — Map (db m41816) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Oglethorpe Bench
On this spot one hundred and seventy three years ago James Oglethorpe the founder of the colony pitched his tent and here rested at the close of the day from which Georgia was settled. Erected by the Georgia Society of the Colonial Dames of America . . . — Map (db m16064) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Oglethorpe's House
1736-1740 On this site stood the house occupied by James Edward Oglethorpe when in Savannah. His home he made in Frederica the better to protect the young colony — Map (db m6499) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Printing Office of James Johnson
On this site stood the Printing Office of James Johnson Official Printer of Laws and Paper Currency of the province. He was the founder of " The Georgia Gazette" the only newspaper in the colony. The first issue appearing April . . . — Map (db m6488) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Tondee's Tavern
On this site stood in colonial times Tondee's Tavern where gathered The Sons Of Liberty — Map (db m6497) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Battle of Bloody Marsh
We are resolved not to suffer defeat - we will rather die like Leonidas and his Spartans - if we can but protect Georgia and Carolina and the rest of the Americans from desolation             Oglethorpe Erected on the battlefield . . . — Map (db m63868) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Frederica - Oglethorpe
This remnant is all that time has spared of the citadel of the town of Frederica built by General Oglethorpe A.D. 1736 As an outpost against The Spanish in Florida — Map (db m18919) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — New Inverness
To the Highlanders of Scotland who founded New Inverness in 1736 AD Their valor defended the struggling colony from - the - Spanish - invasion Their ideals traditions and culture . . . — Map (db m10820) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — Linwood Cemetery
A part of the 1828 plan of Columbus, Linwood contains graves of pioneer citizens and their descendents, as well as the tombs of some 200 Confederate soldiers. Among those buried here are Anna Caroline Benning (1853-1935), who formed the . . . — Map (db m46947) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Five Indian Nations
To commemorate the great congress of five Indian Nations held here at Fort Augusta in 1763. When seven hundred Indians came to meet the Governors of Georgia, Virginia, North and South Carolina. — Map (db m9899) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Fort Augusta
This stone marks the site of the Colonial Fort Augusta, built by order of General Oglethorpe and the trustees in 1736; and known, during the Revolution as Fort Cornwallis. St. Paul Church was built in 1750, under the curtain of . . . — Map (db m9803) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Louis Jolliet & Père Jacques Marquette
In Honor of Louis Jolliet & Père Jacques Marquette The First White Men to Pass Through the Chicago River September 1673 This Tablet is placed by the Illinois Society of the Colonial Dames of America Under the auspices of the Chicago . . . — Map (db m99733) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Rene Robert Cavalier Sieur de La Salle
In honor of Rene Robert Cavalier Sieur de La Salle & Henry de Tonti who passed through this river on their way to the Mississippi December 1681

This Tablet is placed by the Illinois Society of Colonial Dames of America under the auspices of the . . . — Map (db m47683) HM

Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1961.3 — Toll House - Michigan Road
Operated by Augusta Gravel Road Co., circa 1866-1892. First major state road, built in the 1830's, from the Ohio River to Lake Michigan. — Map (db m563) HM
Indiana (Morgan County), Waverly — 55.1957.1 — Whetzel Trace
A Trail from Whitewater River at Laurel terminated here at the Bluffs of White River. Cut in 1818 by Jacob Whetzel, it was the first east-west road into central Indiana. — Map (db m66830) HM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), South Bend — 71.19??.1 — La Salle's Camp1 Mile West
Site of La Salle's camp, 1679, on portage between St. Joseph and Kankakee rivers. La Salle was the first white man to enter Indiana, passing here again in 1681. — Map (db m61797) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Fort Leavenworth — First Capital of Kansas Territory
This tablet marks the site of the first capital of the Territory of Kansas Used by Governor Andrew H. Reeder October 7, to November 21, 1854 — Map (db m66671) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — The Stockade On Corn Island, 1778
The Stockade On Corn Island, 1778. A group of pioneers, under the military protection of General George Rogers Clark, made the original settlement of the town of Louisville in May, 1778 on Corn Island, then about one hundred fifty . . . — Map (db m104417) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — BREC's Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center
The area around the swamp was settled over 200 years ago. This 101 acre Louisiana swamp and surrounding highland terrace escarpment is preserved for education and recreation. — Map (db m97685) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Highland Cemetery
Oldest surviving cemetery in Baton Rouge. Dedicated by George Garig as a burial ground in 1813 and deeded to St. Joseph Roman Catholic Parish in 1819. This cemetery holds the remains of American Revolutionary War soldiers Armand Duplantier and . . . — Map (db m92878) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Methodist ChurchJackson, LA ca 1854
Host to Mississippi Conference in 1854. The Gothic building with a Revival basilica, slave gallery, windows depicting cross and crown of thorns, has served its congregation 140 years. — Map (db m85820) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Original Feliciana CourthouseBuilt in 1816
And used for that purpose until the division of the Parish into East and West Feliciana in 1824. This building has been owned by the Jackson Assembly since 1969. — Map (db m93350) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — La Salle's Landing - 1682
. . . — Map (db m86371) HM
Louisiana (Natchitoches Parish), Robeline — Los Adaes
Mission founded nearby in 1717 for Adaes Indians by Fra Margil, Franciscan of Zacatecas, who traversed the trail from Panama on foot. French Natchitoches served by missionaries from this easternmost Spanish post. Plaque Dedicated June 1, . . . — Map (db m86805) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Site of the Annapolis City Gates1698-1790
All roads leading to this provincial capital, marked AA to guide the traveler, entered the city here beside the city gate house. A wooden fence, enclosing the city, kept out wandering cattle and "men of ill fame." Erected by the National Society of . . . — Map (db m6190) HM
Maryland (Charles County), La Plata — Old Durham Church, Episcopal - 1692
11.8 miles West near Ironsides, MD. Oldest church in Charles County. Served by thirty rectors through 257 years. Present building erected 1732. Visited by George Washington 1771. Restored by Governor Smallwood 1791. — Map (db m36840) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Chevy Chase — Clean Drinking Manor
This Spring is on the site of Clean Drinking, a land grant surveyed for Col. John Courts in 1699. Descendants of Courts, the Jones family, lived at nearby Clean Drinking Manor for many years. Placed by the National Society of the Colonial Dames . . . — Map (db m61517) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — Here Lyeth The Body
Here lyeth the body of Lionel Copley of Wadworth, County York, England, born 1648, died Sept. 27, 1693. And of Anne Boteler, his wife, of Watton, Woodhull, County Herts, England, died March 5, 1692. He was sometime Lieutenant Governour of . . . — Map (db m1005) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Danvers — The Endecott Pear Tree
One-eighth of a mile distant. On a part of the 300 acres granted to Governor John Endecott, is the pear tree planted by the Governor in 1632. This tree still bears fruit. — Map (db m46192) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — In Commemoration of Hernando De Soto
In Commemoration of Hernando De Soto and his men who spent the winter of 1540 — 1541 in North East Mississippi prior to his discovery of the Mississippi River — Map (db m102786) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg — Fort Nogales 1791
Fort Nogales, which was the first settlement at Vicksburg, was established by the Spaniards on this spot in 1791. In 1798, it passed from the possession of Spain to the United States and was re-named Fort McHenry. It was used as a Confederate fort . . . — Map (db m103759) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bordentown — British Raid on Crosswicks Creek
Waters of Crosswicks Creek and the Delaware River join below. 22 vessels at Bordentown and 4 at White Hill were among the 44 that were destroyed in a British raid on May 8, 1778. All were trapped in the Upper Delaware when the British took . . . — Map (db m5336) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Haddonfield — King’s Road / Chew’s Landing Road
King’s Road → Laid out in 1681 over a portion of the trail of the Lenni Lenape Indians running from Perth Amboy to Salem. --------------- Chew’s Landing Road ← Used by the early New Jersey colonists. --------------- This stone . . . — Map (db m29296) HM
New Jersey (Essex County), Newark — First Settlers of Newark
This tablet is placed upon this church the oldest of all our local institutions, in memory of the first settlers who founded “Ye town upon ye Pesayak” 1666 Erected by the Newark members of the New Jersey Society of Colonial Dames of . . . — Map (db m40830) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville — 200th Birthday of George Washington1732 - 1932
In commemoration of the two hundredth birthday of George Washington These eagles and this tablet were placed here by the New Jersey Society of the Colonial Dames of America — Map (db m7275) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Elizabeth — First Site of Princeton University
. . . — Map (db m40708) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Colonel John Brown
of Pittsfield, Mass. killed October 19th, 1780 at Stone Arabia, N.Y. on his thirty-fifth birthday. Was with Ethan Allen, May 10th, 1775. Made a gallant attempt to retake the fort September 17th to 22nd, 1777 but failed owing to the sturdy defence . . . — Map (db m9484) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Brunswick Town State Historic Site — Russelborough
Erected by Captain John Russell, Commander of His Britannic Majesty's Sloop of War Scorpion, who gave his name to this residence and tract of fifty-five acres of land adjacent to the town of Brunswick. Subsequently owned and occupied by the British . . . — Map (db m22372) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — Fort Johnston
This tablet was erected May, 1911 by the North Carolina Society of Colonial Dames of America to mark the site of Fort Johnston, the first fort in the Province of North Carolina, built under Act of Assembly of 1745 and completed 1764, and named in . . . — Map (db m4754) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Winnabow — Colonel Maurice Moore
A memorial to Colonel Maurice Moore, gentleman and soldier of the King, who in the year of our lord 1725 founded in a wilderness The Town of Brunswick reserving for the glory of God the tract of land on which was built this parish church . . . — Map (db m6510) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — The County of Buncombe
Near and West of this spot at Gum Spring The County of Buncombe was organized on April 16, 1792 under act of the General Assembly of North Carolina Erected by The National Society of the Colonial Dames Of America In the State of . . . — Map (db m12831) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Huntersville — Hopewell Presbyterian Church
Hopewell Presbyterian Church organized 1762 by Rev. Alexander McWhorter for the Synod of Philadelphia, Pa. First permanent Pastor Rev. Samuel C. Caldwell ( Second Marker : ) Hopewell Presbyterian Church has been placed on the National . . . — Map (db m63388) HM
North Carolina (New Hanover County), Wilmington — Thomas Godfrey
Near this spot lies Thomas Godfrey Born in Philadelphia Pa. 1736 Died in Wilmington N.C. 1763 Author of The Prince of Parthia The first drama written by an American and produced upon the professional stage in the Colonies . . . — Map (db m28759) HM
North Carolina (Wayne County), Walnut Creek — Dobbs County Court House
Three miles south of this spot on Walnut Creek is a marker indicating the exact site of Dobbs County Court House 1756-1791. — Map (db m31549) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — Last Indian Battle
Last Indian Battle fought March 16, 1792 on the south bank of East Fork Creek near the mouth of Grassy Run Clermont County Tecumseh Shawnee Chjef, known as “Blazing Star”, and Simon Kenton, a scout, were engaged in a sharp . . . — Map (db m95462) HM
Ohio (Marion County), Caledonia — Owl Creek Trail
This trail, also know as the Old war trace, connected Upper Sandusky and Mt. Vernon through Caledonia, Mt. Gilead, and Fredericktown. The route continued to Newcomertown by way of Owl Creek (Kokoshing River) and White Woman (Walhoning) River. . . . — Map (db m97069) HM
Oklahoma (Kay County), Chilocco Indian School — Cherokee Strip
September 11, 1893 Thousands of Americans gathered in this township preparing to make the run for homesteads in the Cherokee Strip, a tract of land 58 miles wide, opening 6,500,000 acres for White settlement bought from the Cherokee . . . — Map (db m60480) HM
Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — As Long As The Waters FlowDedication Ceremonies
Honoring the centuries-old presence and contribution of Native Americans to Oklahoma State Capitol Rotunda Sunday, June 4, 1989 Master of Ceremonies State Senator Enoch Kelly Haney, Seminole Creek Program Participants Allan Houser . . . — Map (db m60269) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Forbes Road, 1758
This tablet marks the site of a giant oak which stood on the northerly side of the road built in 1758 by Brigadier-General John Forbes on his military expedition against the French and Indians at Fort Duquesne (now Pittsburgh). On November 25, . . . — Map (db m71947) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Feasterville — Playwicky Indian Town1682
was located to the south in the vale by the run and springs. The Chief Tammany of the Unami Group • their totem • the tortoise • of the Lenni Lenape or Delawares sold to William Penn the land between Neshaminy and . . . — Map (db m31193) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Shippensburg — Shippensburg
Settled about 1733 Laid out by and named for Edward Shippen •1703-1781• Merchant Mayor of Philadelphia Later a resident of Lancaster Paymaster in the Forbes Expedition A founder and trustee of Princeton University Grandson of Edward . . . — Map (db m92623) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — The Home of John Penn
On this site was the home 1766-1771 of John Penn 1726–1795, last colonial governor of Pennsylvania, son of Richard Penn and grandson of William Penn, the founder. Also the home 1771–1810 of Benjamin Chew 1722–1810, last . . . — Map (db m31068) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), York — YorkCapital of the Nation
. . . — Map (db m4581) HM
South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Cheraw — 13-6 — Dizzy Gillespie Birthplace
[Front]: John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie was born in a house on this site on Oct. 21, 1917. His family lived here until they moved to Philadelphia in 1935. A founder of modern jazz, Gillespie was an innovative trumpeter and bandleader known . . . — Map (db m28273) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Society Hill — 16-30 — Trinity Church
This Episcopal church, located about 800 ft. N., was incorporated 1833. Early members associated with the church are said to have been from the Dewitt, Edwards, Evans, Hanford, Hawes, McCollough, Williams and Witherspoon families. In 1834 the . . . — Map (db m41415) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21 10 — Christ Episcopal Church
Marker front: First organized as a chapel in 1843 by the Rev. N.P. Tillinghast of Trinity Church, Society Hill, this church was formally established as Christ Church, Mars Bluff, in 1856. The Rev. Augustus Moore, who took over the chapel in . . . — Map (db m20488) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Quinby — 21-12 — William R. Johnson House / The Columns
William R. Johnson House This Greek Revival house was built ca. 1854 for William R. Johnson, (1813-1893), physician, planter, and legislator in what was then Marion District. Johnson, an 1838 graduate of the Medical College of S.C., later . . . — Map (db m37330) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Dunbar — 22-41 — Prince George Winyah Parish / Prince Frederick’s Parish(1721) / (1834)
Prince George Winyah Parish (1721). Early settlement in this area near the Black River, based primarily on the Indian trade and the production of naval stores, prompted the creation of Prince George Winyah Parish in 1721. When the first Anglican . . . — Map (db m17008) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Plantersville — 22-53 — Chicora Wood
(Marker Front) This plantation, with its origins in several grants to John Allson in 1732, 1734, and later, was in the hands of his grandson Benjamin, Jr., of Brookgreen, by 1806. The property passed first to Benjamin's widow Charlotte . . . — Map (db m27546) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Plantersville — 22-52 — Prince Frederick's Chapel
(Front) The first church on this site, known as Prince Frederick's Chapel, Pee Dee, was built in 1848 on a site donated by the Rev. Hugh Fraser in 1834. Most of its parishioners were rice planters along the Pee Dee River. These ruins are of . . . — Map (db m27717) HM
South Carolina (Marion County), Marion — 34-12 — Marion Academy
This building, the first public school in Marion County, was built in 1886 by the Marion Academy Society, chartered in 1811. The Society, which had operated a private school here for almost seventy-years, then turned the school over to the Marion . . . — Map (db m25083) HM
South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-32 — D.D. McColl House / D.D. McColl House1826 / 1884
D. D. McColl House 1826 This house, built in 1826 on Darlington St. (now Main St.), was first owned by H.H. Covington. It was sold in 1871 to Duncan Donald McColl (1842 1911), prominent Marlboro County lawyer and businessman; the McColls lived . . . — Map (db m38060) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-115 — Seibels House
(Front text) This house, listed in the National Register of Historic Places and probably built during the last decade of the 18th century, is one of the few remaining houses from this era in Columbia. It was purchased prior to 1860 by the . . . — Map (db m30419) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-59 — The North-South Streets in The City Of Columbia / Richardson Street
The North-South Streets in The City Of Columbia The north-south streets, laid out in the two mile square of the orininal city of Columbia in 1786, were named (except for Assembly) for generals and officers who fought in the American Revolution. . . . — Map (db m7476) HM
South Carolina (Saluda County), Saluda — At Old Saluda Town...
At Old Saluda Town, about ten miles north of here, July 2, 1755, Governor Glen obtained from Old Hop and other chiefs of the Cherokee Nation the cession of the territory embraced by the present counties of Spartanburg, Cherokee west . . . — Map (db m13085) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — The Hunt-Phelan Home
During the Civil War, the house was commandeered by General Ulysses Grant as his Memphis Headquarters; Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy, and a friend of the Hunt Family, also spent time in the house. Later, it was used as a Federal . . . — Map (db m55514) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), Rutland — Old State House
Approximately four rods from the west wall of this armory stood the "OLD STATE HOUSE" demolished in 1912, in which Vermont legislative sessions were held at intervals from 1784 to 1804 inclusive, county court from 1784 to 1793 and in 1791 the first . . . — Map (db m77992) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Earlysville — First Buck Mountain Church
This tablet placed here by the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Virginia in the year 1930, commemorates the founding of the First Buck Mountain Church established under the authority of The Church of England and builded one mile west of . . . — Map (db m21690) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Braddock Cannon
(North Side): This monument marks the trail taken by the army of General Braddock which left Alexandria on April 20, 1755 to defend the western frontier against the French and Indians. Erected by the Society of Colonial Dames of America . . . — Map (db m7567) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — Spanish American War Memorial
To the soldiers and sailors of the United States who gave their lives for their country in the War of 1898-99 with Spain, this monument is dedicated with sorrow, gratitude and pride by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the . . . — Map (db m11836) HM
Virginia (Brunswick County), Lawrenceville — Site of Fort Christanna
. . . — Map (db m20190) HM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Chester — Henricopolis
The Colonial Dames Of America in the State of Virginia A.D. 1910 Erect this monument on the site Of the Town of Henricopolis To commemorate the college And university which on May 26, 1619. The Virginia Company of London decreed . . . — Map (db m16149) HM
Virginia, Hampton — Edward Braddock
(front) Near this monument disembarked on February 19, 1755 Edward Braddock Major General and Commander-in-Chief of all the British forces in America. His coming marked the beginning of an important stage in the war which . . . — Map (db m33892) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Robert Hunt1606 - 1907
To the glory of God and in memory of the Reverend Robert Hunt, Presbyter. appointed by the Church of England, minister of the colony which established the English Church and English civilization at Jamestown, Virginia in 1607, his people, members of . . . — Map (db m17023) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Point of Beginning
In October, 1786, the General Assembly approved that 45 acres of land belonging to John Lynch be laid off in half-acre lots to establish a town by the name of Lynchburg. The original trustees Charles Brooks, Jesse Burton, John Callaway, John Clarke, . . . — Map (db m46483) HM
Virginia (Rockingham County), Elkton — “Sic Juvat Transcendere Montes”
In honor of Governor Alexander Spotswood and the Knights of the Horseshoe: John Fontaine • Robert Beverley • William Robertson • Dr. Robinson Todd • James Taylor • Robert Brooke • George Mason • Captain Smith • Jeremiah Clouder and other . . . — Map (db m1844) HM
Virginia, Winchester — Braddock Cannon
(Left Side): This monument marks the trail taken by the army of General Braddock, which left Alexandria April 9, 1755 to defend the western frontier against the French and Indians. Erected by the Society of Colonial Dames of America in the . . . — Map (db m2649) HM
West Virginia (Mason County), Point Pleasant — French Leaden PlateWashed out at Point Pleasant 1849, Planted 1749
In the year 1749, reign of Louis XV, King of France, we, Celeron, commandant of a detachment sent by Monsieur the Marquis de La Gelissoniere, Commandant-General of New France - to reestablish tranquility in some Indian villages of these cantons have . . . — Map (db m42653) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — The Indian Agency House
. . . — Map (db m42997) HM

99 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement