Touch FIRST to browse through the results shown on this page.
Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Historical Markers
Initially chartered through the Kansas Territorial Legislature in 1859, the Civil War delayed initial construction until 1868. Spanning the plains, the railroad ultimately stretched to California, and played an important role in the growth of the American southwest. The Santa Fe merged with Burlington Northern in 1995.
The facility was originally constructed in 1925-1926 by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad as the passenger station for the Flagstaff stop. The City of Flagstaff acquired the building in 1992 using city of Flagstaff Bed, Board & Booze tax . . . — — Map (db m78739) HM
The Santa Fe Freight Depot was constructed in 1929 by the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad Company.The depot is a unique example of a reinforced concrete structure. Like other buildings on Jackson Street, the freight depot reflects the . . . — — Map (db m73075) HM
In 1885, the California Southern R.R. Co. connected with the Atlantic and Pacific R.R. line on the Mojave River creating Waterman Junction.
Being named for Governor Waterman, owner of Waterman Mine and a mill nearby.
A post office was . . . — — Map (db m107132) HM
...and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. Micah 4:3
With the end of World War II and the onset of the Cold . . . — — Map (db m78521) HM
Lt. Zubulon M. Pike and his men, who traveled through this area in November and December 1806, were the first American explorers to view the Arkansas River Canyon now known as the Royal Gorge. A small party from the Maj. Stephen H. Long expedition . . . — — Map (db m34858) HM
Donated to the City of Great Bend this 18th day of Sept., 1956 by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company.
Purchased in July 1919 from Baldwin Locomotive Works at Eddystone, Pennsylvania at a cost of $69,000. Used in . . . — — Map (db m59846) HM
Chase County, named after Salmon P. Chase, who was a United States Senator from Ohio and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, was organized in 1859 in the Kansas Territory.
James Fisher, from Columbiana County, Ohio was the . . . — — Map (db m45683) HM
Originally named Cottonwood Station, Strong City received its current name from W.B. Strong, president of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. This was an important railroad town and was also known for its stone quarries and stone . . . — — Map (db m45592) HM
Engine 2542 was built in 1910 by the American Locomotive Company in Pittsburgh, PA., for the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway. In 1929, the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway purchased the KCM & O Line and assigned this engine . . . — — Map (db m60487) HM
The Leavenworth, Lawrence & Galveston was the first railroad built south of the transcontinental Union Pacific which passed through Lawrence. Building the 30 miles of track to Ottawa in 1867-8 was difficult. Veterans of the UP construction, . . . — — Map (db m50753) HM
Created to reclaim this historic riverfront for the citizens of Leavenworth and to recall its prominent role in the development of the American West.
When Leavenworth was established in . . . — — Map (db m42138) HM
The railroad era began in the eastern part of the United States in the 1830's when the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad opened with thirteen miles of track. Most of the lines were built in the Northeast and Old Northwest.
The first Kansas Territorial . . . — — Map (db m42155) HM
This Centennial Memorial, erected in gratitude to God, commemorates the coming to America of the Swiss-German Mennonites in the Fall of 1874 from Volhynia, a former Polish province, in the present Russian Ukraine. It symbolizes the Christian . . . — — Map (db m57109) HM
Founder and Mayor of Topeka. Influenced the selection of this city as the capital of Kansas. Organized the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad Company, obtained the original charter in the year 1859. Promoted the early development of Kansas . . . — — Map (db m63886) HM
The Pauline Depot, constructed by the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad Company at a cost of $985, is a typical small town Santa Fe Railroad station that served the public during the early 1900's. This depot was located in Pauline, seven . . . — — Map (db m65023) HM
In 1883, the Fred Harvey Company hired women to serve in its diners and hotels along the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. Thousands of respectable, intelligent women were recruited from the Midwest and . . . — — Map (db m45326) HM
The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroad established a railway line about eight miles southwest of Coleman in 1904. The town of Valera developed in the area around the train depot. Its business district, established parallel to the railroad, . . . — — Map (db m94422) HM
In 1874 Galveston County voters narrowly approved $500,000 in bonds to finance construction of a railroad line from the city of Galveston that would bypass Houston, its business rival, and reach across Texas and beyond to Santa Fe, New Mexico. Henry . . . — — Map (db m59386) HM
The town of Tulia, established in 1887 on the Tule Ranch division of the JA ranch, received an economic boost in the early 20th century with the arrival of the railroad. When Tulia began, the nearest rail connection was more than 100 miles away in . . . — — Map (db m91162) HM
The Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient Railway Company (KCM&O) built this depot in 1909-10. The KCM&O was one of three connecting railroads promoted by mining and railroad entrepreneur Arthur E. Stilwell. The proposed rail system ran 1,600 miles . . . — — Map (db m71889) HM