Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Wabash & Erie Canal Historical Markers

Measuring 468 miles long, the Wabash & Erie Canal was the longest artificial water way in the United States.
 
Old Aqueduct Club Memorial Marker image, Touch for more information
By Michael Baker
Old Aqueduct Club Memorial Marker
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Old Aqueduct Club Memorial
The Aqueduct Carrying the Wabash and Erie Canal across the St. Marys River was located just north of the bridge about where the Nickle Plate Railroad crosses the river and was the playground and swimminghole for the West End Boys. Completed . . . — Map (db m99093) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The Wabash & Erie Canal
Anchoring the southern edge of the Headwaters Park “Thumb” until circa 1874, the Wabash & Erie Canal’s importance to transportation to the western part of the United States and to the growth of Fort Wayne was substantial. Headwaters Park . . . — Map (db m16985) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — 02.1992.2 — Wabash and Erie Canal Groundbreaking
On February 22, 1832, ground was broken two blocks north for the canal, which would link Lake Erie at Toledo with the Ohio River at Evansville. Jordan Vigus, Canal Commissioner, Charles W. Ewing, Samuel Hanna, Elias Murray participated in the . . . — Map (db m21045) HM
Indiana (Allen County), New Haven — 02.2003.1 — Gronauer Lock No. 2
Wabash and Erie Canal lock was discovered here June 1991 during excavation for highway construction. It was built 1838–1840 by Henry Lotz and named for lock keeper Joseph Gronauer. The rare, well-preserved timber-frame design lock measured 115 . . . — Map (db m2498) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Burnettsville — Burnett's Creek Arch
Built in 1840 for Burnett's Creek to pass under Wabash and Erie Canal — Map (db m35488) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — Carrollton on the Wabash
90 lots platted in 1836 on both sides of Wabash - Erie Canal lock.

A Post office in 1838 - 39. The lock passed canal boats into the river on the pool of the Great Dam at Pittsburg five miles below. The mules carried the towline across the . . . — Map (db m35413) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — Delphi
Named and platted in 1828 by Gen. Samuel Milroy, on 100 acres donated by Wm. Wilson for the seat of Carroll Co., named for Charles Carroll, last surviving signer of the Declaration of Independence. Henry Robinson was the first settler. . . . — Map (db m1154) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — Mentzer TavernGrantham's Overlook
Carrollton on the Wabash The Mentzer Tavern was built in 1840 at the north end of the Carrollton Towing Path Bridge that crossed the Wabash River. Erected by Ignatius Mentzer and George Friday, it opened as a cooper shop where barrels were made . . . — Map (db m35438) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — The Carrollton Bridge
Front The Wabash & Erie Canal meets the Wabash River Carroll County Wabash & Erie Canal Delphi, Indiana See Photo #2: 1844 Timber Truss Bridge The Wabash and Erie Canal authorities built the first bridge here in . . . — Map (db m35445) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — The Wabash & Erie CanalOperating The Canal
Front The Longest Canal in North America Carroll County Wabash & Erie Canal Delphi, Indiana The Wabash & Erie Canal extended 468 miles from Toledo, Ohio to Evansville, Indiana On March 2, 1827, a Congressional land grant made . . . — Map (db m35449) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — 08.1992.1 — Wabash and Erie Canal
Constructed 1832-1853, canal was nation's longest, connecting Lake Erie at Toledo with Ohio River at Evansville. Key portion in Carroll County included Deer Creek Lake Dam, constructed 1838-1840 (1 mile west). Various canal structures are still in . . . — Map (db m7540) HM
Indiana (Cass County), Logansport — 09.1966.1 — Wabash & Erie Canal
Trade and emigration route from Lake Erie to Evansville. Completed through Logansport 1840. Followed Erie Avenue and 5th Street, crossing Eel River by wooden aqueduct. Abandoned about 1876. — Map (db m35409) HM
Indiana (Daviess County), Elnora — 14.2007.1 — Wabash and Erie Canal
Side A A canal from Terre Haute to Evansville authorized 1846. Maysville Division along White River was over 23 miles long from Newberry through Owl Prairie (now Elnora) to Maysville; part of it paralleled what is now S.R. 57. . . . — Map (db m23203) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — 23.1997.1 — Attica & Covington Canal Skirmish
In fall 1846, residents of Covington and Attica skirmished at Lock 35 over lack of water to Covington. Heavy rains eventually resolved the problem. Competition among canal towns over water control was often intense. First boat reached Attica 1846 . . . — Map (db m3284) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Covington — Wabash - Erie Canal1846 - 1875
Shawnee Township Wabash - Erie Canal 1846 - 1875 The Canal extended from Toledo, Ohio to Evansville, Indiana. Construction on the 376 mile section in Indiana began in 1832 and completed through Fountain County in 1846. One to six horses in . . . — Map (db m20364) HM
Indiana (Gibson County), Francisco — Wabash & Erie Canal
( At Top - - Canal Map & Points of Interest ) Here is a section of the Wabash & Erie Canal still visible in Gibson County. Construction of the approx. 460 mi. canal. The longest in North America. Began in 1832 & was completed in 1853. One . . . — Map (db m47806) HM
Indiana (Huntington County), Huntington — Burk's Lock1835-1873
The canal boat "Indiana" docked here on the evening of July 3, 1835, opening the Wabash and Erie canal to traffic from Fort Wayne to Huntington. This was the first section of the canal opened in Indiana. John Burk, for whom the lock was named, was a . . . — Map (db m7546) HM
Indiana (Huntington County), Huntington — 35.1973.1 — Canal Landing on Washington Street / Jefferson Park Mall
(Side 1) Canal Landing on Washington Street. The Huntington Landing started 120 feet west on Washington St and continued to the lock at Cherry St. The Wabash & Erie canal was 4 feet deep and 100 feet wide as this point. Other locks . . . — Map (db m65223) HM
Indiana (Huntington County), Huntington — Rock House
The first permanent hotel of Huntington was built of stone on this site by General John Tipton in 1835. Standing on the bank of the Wabash and Erie Canal, it was a commercial, political and social center. From 1862 to 1872 it housed one of the first . . . — Map (db m7547) HM
Indiana (Huntington County), Roanoke — 35.1997.1 — Wabash & Erie Canal Lock 4
First lock west of summit level of Wabash and Erie Canal (connected Lake Erie with Ohio River in 1853). Known as Dickey Lock. Built as Lock 1, 1834-1835, of wood construction; renumbered Lock 4 as result of canal completion to Ohio line (1840). . . . — Map (db m61119) HM
Indiana (Parke County), Montezuma — 61.1966.1 — Wabash & Erie Canal
The Wabash & Erie was the longest canal built in North America, running from Toledo to Evansville. Montezuma was the main port of Parke County. This portion was abandoned about 1865. — Map (db m3679) HM
Indiana (Pike County), Oakland City — 26.1976.1 — Wabash and Erie Canal Completed 1853
The approximately 460 mile canal from Toledo, Ohio, to Evansville, Indiana, was the longest canal built in the United States. Here a section constructed above the natural land surface to prevent flooding and erosion, remains intact. — Map (db m47811) HM
Indiana (Pike County), Petersburg — 63.1992.1 — Wabash and Erie Canal
Site of depot for canal which passed through town at foot of Main Street. Operations through Petersburg ceased 1860. Constructed 1832-1853, canal was nation's longest, connecting Lake Erie at Toledo with Ohio River at Evansville, through Fort Wayne, . . . — Map (db m23215) HM
Indiana (Tippecanoe County), Lafayette — John Purdue Block
Erected on this site in 1845 by John Purdue (October 31, 1802 - September 12, 1876) The John Purdue Block was a collection of 12 stores, each 22 feet wide, occupying the complete block between Columbia and South streets. At the time, it was the . . . — Map (db m34826) HM
Indiana (Tippecanoe County), Lafayette — To Commemorate The Wabash and Erie CanalWhich Operated 1841 - - 1872
Between Toledo, Ohio, and Evansville, Indiana. And which, through Lafayette paralleled the Wabash River, crossing Main Street at the East end of the bridge. — Map (db m34215) HM
Indiana (Tippecanoe County), Westpoint — GranvilleWabash and Erie Canal Town
Founded in 1834 by Thomas W. Treckett and Thomas Concannon, with later additions in 1836. Granville boasted 153 lots and a public square. In 1850 its name was changed to Weaton, after the Wea Indian town which once stood to the east. Later the name . . . — Map (db m34827) HM
Indiana (Vanderburgh County), Evansville — The Short Lived Canal
On March 2, 1827, Congress provided a land grant to encourage Indiana to build the Wabash & Erie Canal. The original plan was to link the navigable water of the Maumee with the Wabash through the seven mile portage at Fort Wayne. Work began five . . . — Map (db m48241) HM
Indiana (Vanderburgh County), Evansville — 82.1947.1 — Wabash and Erie Canal
Completed from Lake Erie to Evansville, 1853. Used till 1865. Passing from 5th St. to 1st Ave., canal widened into basin for docks covering part of this square. — Map (db m47817) HM
Indiana (Wabash County), Lagro — Kerr Lock
Important Business Center on the old Wabash Erie canal this site presented to the town of Lagro by Charles Nottingham to be Presented as a Historical Monument — Map (db m68098) HM
Ohio (Defiance County), Independence — Two CanalsAnthony Wayne Parkway
This marker is on the trunk line of both the Miami & Erie Canal and the Wabash & Erie Canal. The Miami & Erie Canal, built by Ohio, was begun on July 21, 1825 and completed in 1845. It connected the Ohio River at Cincinnati with Lake Erie at Toledo. . . . — Map (db m19438) HM
Ohio (Henry County), Texas — James Durbin
Sec. No. 53, W.&E.C. Completed 1842 By James Durbin — Map (db m28614) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Side Cut Locks
The Side Cut section of the Miami and Erie Canal was completed in 1842 to provide a water connection from the canal down to the river at Maumee. It was two miles long with six limestone locks. Canal locks acted like elevators to raise and lower . . . — Map (db m28568) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Providence — 31-48 — Miami & Erie CanalOhio Historical Marker
The Wabash & Erie Canal opened between Toledo and Lafayette, Indiana, May 8, 1843. The Miami Extension Canal was completed to Junction, Ohio, on July 4, 1845, linking the Wabash & Erie Canal with Cincinnati and resulting in changing the canal’s name . . . — Map (db m19574) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 26–48 — Canal Terminus / ManhattanOhio Historical Marker
Marker Front: Canal Terminus The original northernmost lock in a canal system which linked Lake Erie with the Ohio River was located near the foot of LaSalle Street. Indiana’s Wabash & Erie Canal (1843 – 1874) . . . — Map (db m19439) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 20-48 — Toledo’s CanalsOhio Historical Marker
[Marker Front]: The first canal boat arrived in Toledo from Indiana in 1843 via the Wabash & Erie Canal. The Miami & Erie Canal from Cincinnati was completed in 1845. It joined the W&E Canal near Defiance and they shared the same course . . . — Map (db m19474) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Waterville — 40-48 — John Pray - Founder of Waterville,Ohio / The Miami and Erie Canal
East Side of Marker: "John Pray - Founder of Waterville, Ohio" Born in Rhode Island, John Pray (1783-1872) moved to the Maumee River Valley from New York shortly after serving in the War of 1812 and completing a . . . — Map (db m30795) HM
Ohio (Paulding County), Junction — 4-63 — Miami-Erie and Wabash-Erie CanalsJunction, Ohio
On this site, the Miami and Erie Canal, that came north from Cincinnati and the Ohio River, intersected with the Wabash and Erie Canal that came from Fort Wayne and Evansville, Indiana. From this point, which became the town of Junction, the canals . . . — Map (db m27250) HM

37 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement