Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Mississippi State Historical Marker Program Historical Markers

Markers of the Mississippi state historical marker program administered by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History. It includes state markers installed by previous state departments and agencies. This series does not include markers of the Mississippi Freedom Trail, Mississippi Blues Trail, Mississippi Country Music Trail, and Mississippi Mound Trail, which have their own series categories.508 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 308
 
Andrew Marschalk Marker image, Touch for more information
By Robert M. Cook, Jr.
Andrew Marschalk Marker
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Andrew Marschalk
Site of the printery of “father of Mississippi journalism.” Printed first book in state, 1799. Became first public printer and in 1802 founded famed newspaper, “Mississippi Herald.” — Map (db m70851) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Commercial Bank Building
Built ca. 1836, this structure, a National Historic Landmark, is a fine example of the Greek Revival style. A Banker’s House attached to the rear insured security & gives the structure an unusual and practical plan. — Map (db m79346) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Forks of the Road
Site of the South's second largest slave market in the 19th century. Enslaved people were also once sold on city streets and at the landing at Natchez Under the Hill. Natchez slaves were freed in July, 1863, when Union troops occupied the city. The . . . — Map (db m37433) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Gloucester Cemetery
Here are buried the families of Winthrop Sargent, 1st Gov. of the Mississippi Territory, and Seargent S. Prentiss, Congressman. "Let no monumental marble deface with its mock dignity the patriot's grave." — Map (db m103804) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Holy Family Catholic ChurchDedicated July 1, 1894.
First Catholic church in the Mississippi valley with entire congregation of Afro-American descent. Its school has been continually educating youth since 1890. — Map (db m103798) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Jefferson Street Methodist Church
This was the first Methodist congregration in Natchez formed in the early 1800s, and the 1st building was constructed in 1807. The 1st Sunday School south of Philadelphia, Pa., was organized here in 1829. — Map (db m29749) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Jersey Settlers
Erected, 1968, by Descendants of the New Jersey Settlers Organization (formed 1940) in memory of settlers of 1772, including Captain Amos Ogden. The Swayzes, Thorns & others now rest in the Kingston Cemetery — Map (db m103816) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Jersey Settlers
Erected, 1968, by Descendants of the New Jersey Settlers Organization (formed 1940) in memory of settlers of 1772 & their descendants who rest in Caleb King & Daniel Farrar Cemetery, Kingston Plantation. — Map (db m104044) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Judith Sargent Murray
An early American feminist writer and champion of women's rights, Murray (1751-1820) was also instrumental in fostering the Universalist Church in America. Murray lived for two years at Oak Point Plantation on this site. She died on July 6, 1820, . . . — Map (db m103817) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Kingston
S.E. 1 mile is site of Old Jersey Settlement now known as Kingston. Here settlers from New Jersey organized first Protestant church in Mississippi with Samuel Swayze as pastor. — Map (db m104043) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — MississippiThe Magnolia State
Explored, 1540-1, by De Soto. Colonized first by French, 1699. Became a colony of British, 1763; Spanish, 1779. Territory organized by U.S., 1798. Became 20th. state, 1817. — Map (db m103799) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Natchez
First settled by French, 1716-29. Lasting growth came with Britain, 1763-1779, and Spain, 1779-98. Cotton and trade made it commercial and cultural capital of Old South. — Map (db m4479) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Natchez City Cemetery
Established in 1822 on a ten acre tract, this cemetery grew into a park notable for its variety of 19th century iron and marble work. People of all walks of life are buried within the cemetery. — Map (db m50659) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Ravennaside
An outstanding example of Colonial Revival architecture, Ravennaside, built 1902, was the home of Roane Fleming Byrnes (1890-1970) and headquarters for her efforts in the creation and development of the Natchez Trace Parkway, the 444-mile National . . . — Map (db m103821) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Rhythm Night Club
On April 23, 1940, 209 African Americans died in a fire at the Rhythm Club, located at this site. An overflow crowd, which included civic and cultural leaders, had come to hear the Walter Barnes Orchestra of Chicago. Considered among America's most . . . — Map (db m103794) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Richard N. Wright
Noted African-American author of Native Son and Black Boy was born in 1908 near Natchez, where he spent his early childhood. His lifelong quest for freedom led him to Paris, France, where he died in 1960. — Map (db m10059) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Rose Hill Missionary Baptist Church
Rose Hill is the oldest black baptist congregation in the state, with origins dating to 1837. This 1908 building replaces the first wooden church and contains a 1912 Moller pipe organ. Randle Pollard was the first official pastor, serving from . . . — Map (db m105229) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Seargent S. Prentiss(1808-1850)
S. ½ mi. is grave of orator & statesman who came from Maine to Natchez in 1827 & won fame in law & politics, serving with distinction in legislature & in Congress. — Map (db m103801) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Site of Bank of Mississippi
Chartered in 1809 as the only bank in Mississippi Territory and given a monopoly as the official state bank in 1818. It occupied this site in 1826 but was supplanted by Planters' Bank in 1831. Closed solvent. — Map (db m70854) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Soldiers Retreat
"Soldiers Retreat," located here, was the home of Ferdinand Leigh and Magdaline Claiborne. F.L. Claiborne (1772-1815) moved to the Mississippi Territory from Virginia in 1807 and served as Brig. Gen. with the 1st Mississippi Volunteers during the . . . — Map (db m105260) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — St. Catherine Creek Italian Colony
On January 21, 1905, a number of families from struggling farming communities near Bologna, Italy, left Genoa bound for New York aboard the S.S. Montevideo. Many of these families ventured south, some settling in this area near St. . . . — Map (db m105231) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — St. Mary's Cathedral
In 1837 Natchez was designated the See of the Roman Catholic Church in Mississippi. In 1842 Bishop J. M. Chanche began construction of this structure, the only church built as a cathedral in Mississippi. — Map (db m103791) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — The First Presbyterian Church
Congregation organized in 1817. The Sanctuary was built in 1828-29 and enlarged in 1851. The Romanesque Revival rear addition was built in 1900 in honor of Joseph Stratton, Pastor, 1843-1903. The church and its companion manse on South Rankin Street . . . — Map (db m19027) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — The Forest Plantation
Home and grave of William Dunbar (1749-1810), Scot settler who surveyed the boundary line between the USA and Spain-1798 and led 1st exploration of LA Purchase 1804. World-famed scientist and inventor in Miss. Territory. — Map (db m103857) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Washington Campground1804-1847
Site of first Methodist camp meeting in state, Dec. 14-17, 1804. Led by Learner Blackman, Nathan Barnes, Lorenzo Dow, and Randal Gibson. — Map (db m105847) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Zion Chapel A.M.E. Church
Acquired 1868 by Zion Chapel whose minister Hiram R. Revels became the first black U.S. Senator and first president of Alcorn State University. Originally built in 1858 as the Second Presbyterian Church. — Map (db m103793) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Sibley — Wirt Adams's Raid
On December 1, 1863, Confederate Brig. Gen. Wirt Adams moved his cavalry from Gallatin to retake Natchez. Finding the city heavily fortified with Union infantry and heavy artillery, Adams moved south of Natchez to Ellis's Cliff, eight miles west of . . . — Map (db m103788) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Andrew Jackson at Washington
Here, on April 22, 1815, over 200 citizens of the Old Natchez District entertained General Andrew Jackson on his return from the victory over the British at the Battle of New Orleans, January 8, 1815. — Map (db m105788) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Dr. John W. Monette
Scientist-historian (1803-51). Lived ¼ mi. S.E. Research on yellow fever brought first quarantine in Old S.W. at Natchez, 1844. Author of scholarly book on the discovery and settlement of Mississippi Valley. — Map (db m105397) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Elizabeth Female Academy
First school for women chartered by Mississippi Legislature located here. Elizabeth Roach led in organization. School was important from 1818-1843. — Map (db m87231) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Jefferson Military College
N. 200 yd. Founded 1802. Mississippi's oldest school. Received the first charter to be conferred for any purpose by legislature of Mississippi Territory. — Map (db m105790) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Washington
Territorial capital 1802-17. Statehood constitutional convention held here in 1817. Legislature met here until 1820. During its great days, it was known as the "Versailles" of the territory. — Map (db m105353) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Battery FBattle of Corinth
Only extant redan of six built in 1862 by U.S. troops as outer defense south and west of town. Taken on Oct. 3, 1862, by C.S. forces after fierce fighting. Battle resumed on Oct. 4, but C.S. troops forced to withdraw. — Map (db m66613) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Battle of Corinth - 1862
Site of Battery Williams. On Oct. 4 the cannonade from here devastated the Confederate troops attacking Battery Robinette. The advance failed, forcing Gen. Van Dorn to withdraw his forces. — Map (db m50324) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Battle of Corinth - 1862
Site of Battery Williams. On Oct. 4 the cannonade from here devastated the Confederate troops attacking Battery Robinette. The advance failed, forcing Gen. Van Dorn to withdraw his forces. — Map (db m66590) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — C.S.A. Rifle Pit
S. 3/10 mi. to rear of school. Of unique circular design, about 50 ft. in diameter, this pit was one of series built in 1862 as second line of defence against U.S. troops advancing from Shiloh. — Map (db m50318) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Corinth
Began 1854 as Cross City. Proximity to Tennessee River and the railroads made it of great strategic value during Civil War. Battle of Corinth fought here, Oct. 3-4, 1862. — Map (db m21305) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Corinth
Began 1854 as Cross City. Proximity to Tennessee River and the railroads made it of great strategic value during the Civil War. Battle of Corinth fought here, Oct. 3-4, 1862. — Map (db m66533) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Fillmore Street Chapel
Corinth's oldest church bldg.; erected 1871 by Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the First church est. in Corinth. 1906~1976 served as Fillmore St. Pres. Ch. Now used as chapel by First United Methodist Church. — Map (db m28472) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Ft. Robinette
W. 1/2 mi. Now Confederate Park. Here, Oct. 5, 1862, during Battle of Corinth, occurred a C.S.A. charge as heedless of cost as those of Pickett at Gettysburg and Light Brigade at Balaclava. — Map (db m66738) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Generals' Headquarters
Built about 1857 for Hamilton Mask. Used in Civil War as Hq. of Generals Braxton Bragg, H.W. Halleck, and John B. Hood. Donated to Corinth in 1960 by S.H. Curlee family. — Map (db m66558) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Grant’s Headquarters
Site of hq. of Gen. Ulysses Simpson Grant in June, 1862. In mid-July Grant removed to plantation home of F. E. Whitfield, Sr., about 1 mi. S. of Corinth. — Map (db m21157) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Henry Cemetery
Founded in 1879 by the Milton B. Henry family on land sold by the Chickasaws to the U.S. government in 1832. Henry purchased 160 acres in 1856. Robert Henry Young, an infant grandson of M.B. Henry, was the first person buried here. The Henry . . . — Map (db m66591) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Johnston's Headquarters
Site of hq. of Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston, April 1~4, 1862. After his death at Shiloh, April 6, body was brought here where it lay in state, April 7, 1862. — Map (db m29280) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Oak Home
Built in 1857 for Judge W.H. Kilpatrick. Used in Civil War as headquarters of General Leonidas Polk. Bought in 1866 by Mrs. Thomas Quincy Martin and occupied continuously by her descendants. — Map (db m66557) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Jacinto — Jacinto
E. 9 mi. Founded 1836 as seat of “Old” Tishomingo, including present Alcorn & Prentiss counties. Named for battle of San Jacinto. Courthouse dates from 1854. Lost county seat, 1870. Home of Sen. E.W. Carmack. — Map (db m77399) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Centreville — Centreville(Elysian Fields)
Began as Spanish relay post. Was known prior to 1824 as Elysian Fields, or Amite Courthouse. Chartered in 1880. After 1884, new town, springing up on railroad, gradually absorbed old site. — Map (db m96426) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Crosby — Crosby
Named Dayton in 1884 in honor of David Day who gave the R.R. right-of-way. In 1917, Foster Creek Lumber & Mfg. Co. mill & town of Stephenson est. here. In 1934, named for L.O. Crosby who bought the vast co. holdings. — Map (db m96180) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Gloster — Gloster
On Mar. 11, 1884, Gloster City was chartered. Named for Capt. Arthur W. Gloster, R.R. engin. Located on watershed of Amite & Miss. Rivers. Elev. 435 Ft. On Apr. 6, 1935, a tornado hit the town killing 9 residents. — Map (db m96030) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Amite County Courthouse
The State's oldest courthouse, built in 1839-41, replaced the building located on this historic square. Seat of Amite County, formed Feb. 24, 1809. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m92615) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Amite Female Seminary
Locally known as the Little Red School House, the Amite Female Seminary was established in 1853 by Rev. Milton S. Shirk. The school's curriculum included music, literature, history, mathematics, modern languages, philosophy, science and physical . . . — Map (db m92629) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Battle Of Liberty
On November 16, 1864, Union cavalry under Col. Benjamin Marsh captured a small Confederate force at Liberty. Marsh had hoped to capture Brig. Gen. George Hodge, but he escaped. The next day, Brig. Gen. Albert Lee reinforced the Federals with 1,700 . . . — Map (db m92730) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Confederate Monument
Erected on land donated in 1868 by the Liberty Masonic Lodge, this Confederate monument was designed and built by A.J. Lewis. The shaft is inscribed with the names of 279 Amite County Confederate soldiers who died during the Civil War. Dedicated in . . . — Map (db m92709) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Herbert Lee
Herbert Lee, a 42-year-old dairy farmer in the Amite County area, became a member of the NAACP in the early 1950s. In the fall of 1961, Lee began transporting voting rights activists within the Pike and Amite County area. On September 25, 1961, . . . — Map (db m92564) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Liberty
Founded 1809 and chartered 1828. Site of first Confederate monument in state, 1871. Here Gail Borden conducted condensed milk experiments. Dr. Tichenor's antiseptic was also originated here. — Map (db m92616) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Liberty Missionary Baptist Church
Founded as the Liberty Colored Church in March 1870 after fifteen black members requested letters of dismissal from Liberty Baptist Church to organize their own congregation. Under the leadership of their first pastor, Rev. Fred Stirling, these . . . — Map (db m92617) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Old Natchez District
Ceded by Choctaws & Chickasaws in Fort Adams Treaty, 1801, confirming earlier British treaty. Contained most of present Warren, Jefferson, Claiborne, Adams, Franklin, Wilkinson & Amite counties. — Map (db m92556) HM
Mississippi (Attala County), Kosciusko — MFWC Birthplace
The Mississippi Federation of Women’s Clubs was founded here on May 25, 1898. Organized by Mrs. Fannie Clark Coleman of Kosciusko, charter clubs included Clarksdale, Jackson, Verona, Sallis, Okolona, Vicksburg, and Meridian. Mrs. D.N. Hebron was . . . — Map (db m72683) HM
Mississippi (Benton County), Michigan City — Mississippi Central R.R. Campaign
On October 14, 1862, Confederate Gen. John Pemberton assumed command in Mississippi and east Louisiana. Eleven days later, Gen. Ulysses Grant became commander of Union forces in the region. Over the next 8½ months, their forces fought for . . . — Map (db m84782) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Amzie Moore Home
Amzie Moore (1911-1982), a local Civil Rights leader, built this house in 1941. An army veteran, Moore also worked for the U.S. Postal Service. After returning from WWII, Moore dedicated himself to the civil rights movement, co-founding the . . . — Map (db m90074) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Cleveland
Named for President Grover Cleveland. Founded along Jones Bayou and Yazoo and Mississippi Valley R.R. in 1886. Downtown historic area listed in National Register of Historic Places in 1999. — Map (db m90069) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — David R. Bowen
A Cleveland High School graduate, Bowen (D-Miss.) served five terms in Congress (1973-1983). As chair of the Cotton, Rice, and Sugar Subcommittee and a member of the House Agriculture, Foreign Affairs, and Merchant Marine and Fisheries Committees, . . . — Map (db m89935) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Delta Blues Inspires W.C. Handy
While leading his orchestra at a dance on this site c. 1905, Handy was unable to perform requested blues numbers. A local band stepped in and stole the show. "My enlightenment came in Cleveland. That night an American composer was born," he . . . — Map (db m89932) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Hill Demonstration School
In 1926 the Hill Demonstration School opened for grades one through six, with kindergarten classes added in 1929. This laboratory-style school for Delta State student teachers had an initial enrollment of twenty-five and was housed in the basement . . . — Map (db m90127) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Margaret Wade
Lily Margaret Wade (1912-1995) was a standout on Cleveland High School’s girls basketball team and Delta State’s women’s basketball team. Compiling a CHS coaching record of 453-89-6, she began coaching the Lady Statesmen in 1973, winning the AIAW . . . — Map (db m90125) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — The Cleveland Chinese Mission School
Founded in 1937 by parents, Cleveland First Baptist Church, and community leaders to provide an education for children of Chinese descent who were excluded from area schools by the 1927 US Supreme Court decision, Gong Lum v. Rice. Students . . . — Map (db m90066) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — The Cleveland Depot
Four railroad depots have operated here since Cleveland was incorporated in 1886. The first depot—two Yazoo & Mississippi Valley RR cars tied together and parked on a side track—disappeared when a prankster hooked it to an outgoing . . . — Map (db m89937) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — The Marshall Plan
A plan for relief of postwar Europe, suggested by Mississippi native Will Clayton, was first announced here May 8, 1947, by Under Secretary of State Dean Acheson at a meeting of the Delta Council. — Map (db m90126) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — AKA Mobile Health Project
From 1935 to 1942, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority established mobile health clinics to provide medical care to black people in the Delta. Dr. Dorothy Ferebee, a member of the sorority, was the project's director. Primarily based in Mound Bayou, the . . . — Map (db m89762) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Mound Bayou
Largest U.S. Negro town; settled July 12, 1887 by ex-slaves of Joe Davis, who conceived idea before Civil War: Isaiah T. Montgomery (member of 1890 state convention) & his cousin, Benjamin T. Green. — Map (db m89761) HM
Mississippi (Calhoun County), Calhoun City — Thomas T. Gore
First settler in what is now Calhoun City. Born 1776. Left S. Carolina in 1817 for Alabama. Came to Mississippi in 1840. Pioneer, politician, patriot, planter. Died October 20, 1855. Buried on old homesite ½ mi. NW. — Map (db m107543) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Egypt — Egypt Station
During a raid in the winter of 1864-65, Union Brig. Gen. Benjamin Grierson's cavalry encountered Confederates at Egypt Station on the Mobile & Ohio R.R. The Confederate force included a large number of former Union prisoners of war released on . . . — Map (db m107541) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Houston — Carnegie Library
Estab. in 1909, this is one of Mississippi's oldest community libraries and its first Carnegie library. School superintendent L.B. Reid secured money from Andrew Carnegie Foundation for this facility. — Map (db m107610) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Houston — Houston
On Natchez Trace. Named for Sam Houston, friend of Joel Pinson, donor of site. Made county seat at creation of Chickasaw Co., Feb. 9, 1836. In 1909 state's first Carnegie library built here. — Map (db m107556) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Battle of Okolona
In this vicinity on February 22, 1864, Benjamin Grierson ordered McCrillis' Federal brigade into a line of battle opposite Col. Barteau's Confederate brigade of Forrest's cavalry corps. Barteau's men, from the ridge east of the railroad, advanced as . . . — Map (db m102742) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Battle of Okolona
On February 22, 1864, Col. Jeffrey Forrest, commanding a Confederate cavalry brigade, was killed in action in this vicinity, near the extinct town of Prairie Mount. Born in 1838, Forrest was the younger brother of Lt. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, . . . — Map (db m102744) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Confederate Cemetery
As a station on the Mobile and Ohio Railroad, Okolona was the site of a large hospital during the Civil War. In 1862, following the battle of Shiloh, hundreds of wounded Confederates were brought here by train. Those who died were buried in this . . . — Map (db m102747) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Okolona
Founded as Rose Hill 1845. Chartered as Okolona 1850. Named for Chickasaw Indian brave. Scene for three Civil War battles. First Mississippi Cavalry, C.S.A., was organized and equipped here. — Map (db m102748) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Okolona
Founded as Rose Hill 1845. Chartered as Okolona 1850. Named for Chickasaw Indian brave. Scene for three Civil War battles. First Mississippi Cavalry, C.S.A., was organized and equipped here. — Map (db m102749) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Okolona College
The Okolona Normal and Industrial School was founded in 1902 by Dr. Wallace A. Battle. It educated African Americans through high school and provided industrial training for young adults. At its peak, the school's enrollment topped two hundred . . . — Map (db m102740) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Okolona in the Civil War
Throughout the Civil War, Confederate forces were stationed in Okolona, taking advantage of the agriculturally rich prairie region. With a large supply depot, the town was the object of Union Raids at least twice. On February 22, 1864, Maj. Gen. . . . — Map (db m102746) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — Ackerman
Chartered February 16, 1884, upon the arrival of the Canton, Aberdeen, & Nashville Railroad, and named for the company's president, William K. Ackerman. Since 1896 County Seat of Choctaw County. — Map (db m51200) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — Coleman's Mill
On Yockanookany, 1/2 mi. S., was built in 1836 water mill of W.R. Coleman of Fairfield Co. S.C., first white settler after Choctaw cession in Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek. — Map (db m51198) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), French Camp — Col. James Drane
President pro tem of the state Senate, 1857-65. Defeated by W. McWillie in governor’s race, 1857. Delegate to Charleston Dem. Convention, 1860. Son and grandson of Rev. soldiers. House moved here, 1981, and restored. — Map (db m87486) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Grand Gulf
The town of Grand Gulf was burned by Admiral David Farragut's men in 1862 and occupied by Porter's Mississippi Squadron on May 3, 1863. The Union occupation followed Confederate Brig. Gen. John Bowen's evacuation of the town after the Battle of Port . . . — Map (db m105718) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — On to Vicksburg
After crossing the Mississippi River and fighting the battle of Port Gibson April 30 - May 1, 1863, Gen. U.S. Grant moved to capture Grand Gulf as a base of operations against Port Hudson, Louisiana. Capturing Grand Gulf on May 3, Grant learned that . . . — Map (db m105723) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Hermanville — 7 — Federals Occupy Rocky Springs
After U.S. Grant had planned much of his campaign at Mrs. Bagnell’s, four miles west, he arrived at Rocky Springs on May 7. He remained until May 10, allowing the XV Corps to cross the Mississippi and rejoin the army. McClernand’s XIII Corps arrived . . . — Map (db m87358) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Deposit — Bruinsburg
About 14 miles west at the mouth of Bayou Pierre is the old river port settled by Peter Bryan Bruin in 1788. It was visited by Aaron Burr in 1807. Grant landed there in Vicksburg Campaign of 1863. — Map (db m103797) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Deposit — The Bernheimer Complex
Built by Samuel and Jacob, prominent Jewish businessmen, this complex forms an unusual group of consecutively constructed buildings of various architectural styles. This house, built in 1901, replaced an earlier one used by Gen. U.S. Grant as his . . . — Map (db m103796) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Battle of Port Gibson
On May 1, 1863, Confederate forces under Brig. Gen. John Bowen clashed with elements of two Union corps commanded by Maj. Gen. U.S. Grant. The battle began around midnight near the Shaifer House four miles west of town. At dawn, the Federals . . . — Map (db m35542) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Bayou Pierre Presbyterian Church
Following the arrival of Presbyterian missionaries in 1801, Joseph Bullen and James Smylie organized the Bayou Pierre Church at this site in 1807. After part of the congregation formed the Bethel Church southwest of here in 1824, the remaining . . . — Map (db m70394) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Claiborne County
Established on January 27, 1802, by first General Assembly. Claiborne County was the fourth county organized in the Mississippi Territory. Carved from Jefferson County (formerly Pickering County), of the Old Natchez District, the county was named . . . — Map (db m103802) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — 5 — Fight for Hankinson's Ferry
As Logan's division marched west toward Grand Gulf on May 3, 1863, M. M. Crocker's division moved toward Hankinson's Ferry. At Kennison Creek, one mile north, the road was blocked by two Confederate brigades. After a spirited skirmish, the . . . — Map (db m103822) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — First Baptist M.B. Church
Founded in 1867 by freedmen. Moved to this site ca. 1896. Played a vital role in the Civil Rights Movement in Port Gibson. Beginning in 1965, the NAACP held meetings here to promote boycotts of local white merchants, who subsequently filed suit. In . . . — Map (db m103805) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — First Presbyterian Church
Second oldest Presbyterian Church in Old Southwest. Org. April, 1807, as Bayou Pierre Church. Moved to Port Gibson 1827. Zebulon Butler first resident pastor, 1827-60. Present structure built 1859. — Map (db m103807) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Port Gibson
Incorporated in 1811, Port Gibson was first settled by Samuel Gibson, who acquired property along Bayou Pierre from the Spanish in 1788. First known as Gibson's Landing. Port Gibson, selected as the Claiborne County seat in 1803, had the state's . . . — Map (db m103803) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Site of the Hermitage
W. 2 mi. Built about 1800 by George W. Humphreys, Birthplace of Benjamin Grubb Humphreys (1808-82). Brigadier General, C.S.A. Governor of Mississippi from 1865 to 1868. — Map (db m103800) HM
Mississippi (Clarke County), Enterprise — Enterprise
Center of early trade on Chickasawhay River with Gulf Coast. Served during Civil War as location of hospital and prison camp and temporary refuge of the State Government. — Map (db m84213) HM
Mississippi (Clarke County), Pachuta — Old Stagecoach Road
Running along the west side of this highway to Pachuta & unchanged in its old course. Was original route between Mobile and Paulding, former county seat & prosperous antebellum town in Jasper Co. — Map (db m100974) HM
Mississippi (Clay County), West Point — Mary Holmes College
Named for Mary Holmes of Rockford, Illinois, who dedicated her life to education, this school was founded in Jackson in 1892 by the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Board of Missions for Freedmen as a seminary for African American women. Mary Holmes . . . — Map (db m107537) HM
Mississippi (Clay County), West Point — Payne Field SiteAdvanced Aviation School
. . . — Map (db m107331) HM
Mississippi (Clay County), West Point — Prehistoric Indian Burial Mound
Constructed ca. 100 B.C.-A.D. 400 for the burial of high-status members of an unknown local tribal group. An associated village site lies across the highway to the Southwest. — Map (db m107534) HM
Mississippi (Clay County), West Point — Waverley
E. 10 mi. Plantation home built c. 1852 by Geo. H. Young. Octagonal cupola. Gen. N.B. Forrest visited here during the Civil War. National Fox Hunters Assn. organized here. — Map (db m50160) HM
Mississippi (Clay County), West Point — West Point
County seat of Clay (formerly Colfax ) County. Chartered November 20, 1858, one year after the arrival of the Mobile and Ohio Railroad. — Map (db m50298) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — Carnegie Public Library
In 1909 steel magnate Andrew Carnegie was contacted by local women's club member Liliian Waddell about sponsoring a public library. In 1911 the Carnegie Foundation gave $10,000 to the city of Clarksdale to build and equip a public library, with the . . . — Map (db m89927) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — Clarksdale
Founded 1868 at crossing of Indian trails and on possible route of De Soto's expedition. Chartered 1882. Coahoma co-county seat, 1892; sole seat since 1936. Home of Gov. Earl Leroy Brewer. — Map (db m89925) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — First Baptist M.B. Church
In the late 1880s a group of African Americans established the Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church near the Sunflower River, under the leadership of their first pastor Minister A. O. Gaston. The church would be moved to this location in 1918, . . . — Map (db m90063) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — Harvey B. Heidelberg
Harvey Brown Heidelberg was born in Shubuta, Mississippi, on March 7, 1883. Educated in the Shubuta school system and at Southern University in Greensboro, Alabama, Millsaps College in Jackson, and the University of Michigan, he began his career in . . . — Map (db m89928) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — J.W. Cutrer House
Built in 1916, this Italian style villa was designed by Memphis architect Bayard Cairnes and was the home of local attorney J.W. Cutrer and his wife Blanche Clark Cutrer, daughter of Clarksdale founder John Clark. Named Belvoir by the Cutrer . . . — Map (db m89922) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — Temple Beth Israel
Originally named Kehilath Jacob, Clarksdale’s first synagogue was built here in 1910. In celebration of the new temple, a Torah was shipped from New York City and carried to the temple by members of the congregation. In 1929, a larger temple was . . . — Map (db m89923) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — W. C. Handy — 1873 - 1958
"Father of the Blues" composer and family lived at this site 1903-05. In Clarksdale Handy was influenced by Delta blues which he collected and later published as well as his own famous and influential music. — Map (db m89929) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Dundee — Hernando De Soto Commemorative Bridge
The Hernando de Soto expedition to explore and claim the Southeast for Spain crossed the Mississippi River on June 18, 1541, at a point in northwestern Mississippi between Sunflower Landing in Coahoma County to the south and Bass Landing in DeSoto . . . — Map (db m107620) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Hopson — Hopson PlantationEstablished 1852
On this site in 1944, the Hopson Planting Co. and International Harvester, revolutionized modern cotton farming by introducing the first commercially produced mechanical cotton picker. — Map (db m89921) HM
Mississippi (Copiah County), Crystal Springs — Bus-Train Collision of 1942
On August 5, 1942, a southbound train collided with a westbound bus, killing fifteen bus passengers and injuring many more. The Greyhound bus, traveling from New Orleans to Jackson, stopped at the east side of the Marion Avenue railroad crossing to . . . — Map (db m50894) HM
Mississippi (Copiah County), Hazelhurst — Hazelhurst
Named for chief engineer of first Jackson - New Orleans railway. Last spike driven here on March 31, 1858. Town was raided by Grierson in 1863. Shipping point for cattle, truck crops, and lumber. — Map (db m50893) HM
Mississippi (Copiah County), Hazelhurst — Mrs. Annie Coleman Peyton(1852 - 1894)
Mississippi State College for Women, first state-supported college for women in the U.S. was founded in 1884 through the efforts of Mrs Peyton, a citizen of Hazelhurst. — Map (db m50892) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Brooklyn — Forrest County Agricultural High School
Created in 1911 by an act of the Mississippi Legislature, as an agricultural boarding school. Set on 320 acres of donated land. Students from across the United States, Mississippi and several foreign countries have been educated here. In 1996 FCAHS . . . — Map (db m50077) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Dixie — Dixie School Log Cabin
Citizens of the Dixie community built this structure 1/4 mile southeast of this site in the 1930s to serve as a cafeteria during the Depression era. The log cabin has also served as a meeting place, music hall and classroom. In 2003 the cabin was . . . — Map (db m56534) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — Old Hattiesburg High School
Under the direction of Principal J.T. Wallace, this building was Hattiesburg's High School from 1922 to 1959. Built in 1911, the structure acquired its present form when enlarged and remodeled in 1921 to the designs of Robert E. Lee, the city's . . . — Map (db m39906) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — William Carey College
E. 1 mi. Founded 1906 as S. Miss. College. Operated by Bapt. as Miss. Woman's College 1911-40. Coeducational 1953. Name changed to honor William Carey, 18th century English missionary. — Map (db m39896) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — William Harris Hardy
In 1880 near the banks of Gordon Creek, this lawyer, railroad builder and Confederate veteran selected the site for Hattiesburg. Incorporated in 1884, the town was named for Hardy's wife, Hattie Lott. — Map (db m40050) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Maxie — Old West Florida
Area to south, originally part of French Louisiana, became West Florida under England and Spain. After West Florida Revolution annexed by U. S. and in 1812 was added to the Mississippi Territory. — Map (db m39002) HM
Mississippi (George County), Lucedale — "Ornamental Nursery Capital of Mississippi"
In 1898, E.E. Bolen established a nursery and orchard company in George County. Other wholesale nurseries were established in the early 1900s. The production of ornamental plants, trees and shrubs has since become a thriving commercial industry in . . . — Map (db m56545) HM
Mississippi (Grenada County), Elliott — 94th Infantry Division
First U.S. Army Division to achieve "Expert Infantry" recognition while training here at Camp McCain November, 1943 to July, 1944. Distinguished World War II Service in European Theater Campaigns: Northern France • Ardennes-Alsace Rhineland • . . . — Map (db m89898) HM
Mississippi (Grenada County), Elliott — Camp McCain
Established 1942 as a training facility for the United States Army during the Second World War and used until 1946. Named for Carroll Co. Miss. native, Major-General Henry Pinckney McCain (1861-1941). — Map (db m89901) HM
Mississippi (Grenada County), Grenada — Confederate Fort
Main defensive position on Yalobusha River line held by Gen. Pemberton in fall of 1862 to repel Gen. Grant, whose army of 25,000 was moving to attack Vicksburg. — Map (db m89894) HM
Mississippi (Grenada County), Grenada — J. Augustine Signaigo
J. Augustine Signaigo, born in 1835 in Italy, founded the Grenada Sentinel in 1854. A poet, he wrote the libretto of a hit Civil War operetta, "The Vivandiere." He served as president of the Mississippi Press Association in 1869. He died in . . . — Map (db m89888) HM
Mississippi (Grenada County), Grenada — J. Augustine Signaigo
J. Augustine Signaigo, born in 1835 in Italy, founded the Grenada Sentinel in 1854. A poet, he wrote the libretto of a hit Civil War operetta, "The Vivandiere." He served as president of the Mississippi Press Association in 1869. He died in 1876 and . . . — Map (db m89891) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — Elmwood Manor
Located here was a two-story, French Creole house, with two-tiered galleries. Although construction may have begun prior to the War of 1812, the house was not completed until 1828. Situated on a large plantation, with Sea Island cotton its . . . — Map (db m108380) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — Hancock County Bank
Hancock County Bank opened on October 9, 1899. Weeks later the bank's board of directors purchased this property at the corner of Main Street and South Beach as the site of a new headquarters. Bay St. Louis's first two-story brick building, the . . . — Map (db m108455) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — Naval Battle of Bay St. Louis
On Dec. 14, 1814, five U.S. gunboats fired on a British fleet entering Lake Borgne. Their action was the last naval defense of the U.S. before the victory of General Andrew Jackson at New Orleans. — Map (db m78939) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — Old Spanish Customs House
On this site stood the "Spanish Customs House," perhaps the oldest structure in Bay St. Louis. The house is believed to have been built by French colonist Hyacinth Caron in 1787. The date of construction is based on an inscription in the . . . — Map (db m108576) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — Our Lady of the Gulf
Established 1847 by Bishop J.J. Chanche, S.S., first Bishop of Natchez. Mother church of Hancock County, third oldest Catholic parish on the Gulf Coast and fifth oldest in Mississippi. — Map (db m108548) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — Pearl Rivers
The summer home of George and Eliza Jane Poitevent Nicholson, locally known as "Fort" Nicholson, was located here. Better known as "Pearl Rivers." Eliza Nicholson (1849-1896) was a poet, writer, and published of the New Orleans . . . — Map (db m108581) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — Publius Rutilius Rufus Pray
Born in Maine, 1793, Hancock Co. judge. Served in Miss. House of Representatives, 1827 - 29. Pres. of St. Const. Conven., 1832. Elected judge of High Court of Errors and Appeals, 1837. Died 1840. — Map (db m80400) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — St. Augustine’s Seminary
Founded 1920 in Greenville, Miss., by Divine Word Missionaries. Moved to Bay St. Louis, 1923. Oldest existing Catholic seminary in Miss. for training of young men as missionary brothers & priests. — Map (db m81044) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — St. Stanislaus College
Founded 1854, by Brothers of the Sacred Heart. Oldest institution of learning on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. On Beach Boulevard, facing the Gulf, the school became college preparatory in 1923. — Map (db m108379) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Gainesville — Gainesville Volunteers
In 1860, John Deason, a Mexican War Veteran, organized a militia company here. The "Gainesville Volunteers" entered Confederate service in 1861 as Co. G. of the Third Mississippi Infantry. During the Civil War the unit served in the Gulf Coast . . . — Map (db m8755) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Pearlington — John C. Stennis Space Center
In 1961 President John F. Kennedy announced plans to send humans to the moon. NASA selected this site for an engine testing facility for the Apollo Moon program. During its construction in 1963, nearly 6,100 workers began building three . . . — Map (db m107881) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Pearlington — Logtown
Founded here in 1848, Logtown was home to the Weston Lumber Company, founded in 1889, which became one of the largest lumber milling operations in the United States during the 1920s. By 1961 the last 250 residents were removed to make way for the . . . — Map (db m107866) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Waveland — Brown's Vineyard
Located at this site, Brown's Vineyard, established 1874, was a popular resort during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The wine, produced on site from scuppernong grapes, was marketed and sold across the United States. The vineyard, which . . . — Map (db m49061) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Waveland — Gulfside Assembly
Originally called the Gulfside Chatauqua and Camp Meeting Ground, Gulfside was founded in 1923 by Robert E. Jones, the first black Methodist Bishop. At the time, it was the only resort in the Gulf Region open to black Methodists. In 1980, Gulfside . . . — Map (db m108598) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Waveland — Sea Song Plantation
The home of Andrew Jackson, Jr., a nephew and the adopted son of President Jackson, was located here. Jackson and his wife Sarah, who named the plantation, lived here just before the Civil War. The Jacksons sold the property in 1861. The house, . . . — Map (db m108577) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Waveland — The "Pirate House"
According to local tradition, the "Pirate House," located here, was built as early as 1802 and was frequented by famed pirate Jean Lafitte and his associates. Later remodeled as a Greek Revival structure, the house is believed to have a secret . . . — Map (db m108459) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Beauvoir
Built 1852-4. Last home of Jefferson Davis, U.S. Senator, Congressman, Secretary of War, and only President of Confederacy. Beauvoir served as a Confederate Veterans' home from 1903 until 1956. — Map (db m92604) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi
Founded by the French as "New Biloxi." Capital of French colony of Louisiana, 1721-1722, prior to French removal to New Orleans. Incorporated as a town in 1850 by the Mississippi Legislature. — Map (db m68449) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi Lighthouse
Since its construction in 1848, this cast iron lighthouse has been the landmark for which Biloxi-bound vessels sail. Tended by the Younghans family, father, mother and daughter, from late 1866 until 1929. — Map (db m22778) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Birthplace of Barq's
Barq's root beer was created by Edward C. Barq, Sr. in 1898 and produced on this site until 1936, when the operation moved to Lameuse Street. A Mississippi Gulf Coast favorite, the number of franchise bottlers grew to over two hundred by 1950. . . . — Map (db m68425) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Brielmaier House
This house was built in 1895 for Mrs. Henry Graves and soon sold to her brother, Paul W. Brielmaier. A skilled carpenter who was superintendent and later owner of a local millwork company. Brielmaier may have constructed the house as a showcase for . . . — Map (db m91144) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Cathedral of the Nativity (B.V.M.)
Parent Catholic Parish on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, continuing missions dating back to French Colonial era. First church on this site dedicated 1844. Rebuilt after fire in 1900. Dedicated Cathedral for Diocese of Biloxi 1977. Restored in 1989 . . . — Map (db m22980) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Church of the Redeemer
The Carpenter Gothic style Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, built 1873-74 was located here. Among the church's parishioners was former Confederate President Jefferson Davis. In 1892, a new church, designed by architect Thomas Sully, was constructed . . . — Map (db m102182) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Civil Rights Wade-Ins
On May 14, 1959, April 24, 1960, and June 23, 1963, the Biloxi beach front was the site of planned civil rights wade-ins demanding equal access to the public beach. On April 24, 1960, several citizens, both black and white, were injured and . . . — Map (db m68460) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Coast Guard Station Barracks
Built here in 1934 as part of a U.S. Coast Guard base, the barracks was an E-shaped, Spanish Colonial Revival style building made of reinforced concrete. Arcaded porches lined the building's wings and central pavilion, which had an octagonal . . . — Map (db m102175) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Debuys-Hermann-Keller House
The Greek Revival mansion once located here was a "raised cottage" (meaning it was composed of a frame upper story set upon an above-ground brick basement to protect the wooden portion from moisture and insects.) Probably built ca. 1850 for Peter . . . — Map (db m68423) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Moran Site
Located here was a French Colonial cemetery, now known as the Moran Site. Based on archaeological investigations, the cemetery dates to the founding of "New Biloxy" between 1717 and 1722, and includes at least thirty burials, primarily male . . . — Map (db m68448) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Old Brick House
Site granted by Spanish to Jean Baptiste Carquote in 1790. Residence in Civil War of Mayor John L. Henley, who led defense against Union fleet, Sept., 1861. Restoration by Biloxi Garden Clubs. — Map (db m42855) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Robinson-Maloney-Dantzler House
Originally a raised-cottage Greek Revival mansion similar to Beauvoir, the house located here was built ca. 1849 by J.G. Robinson, a wealthy English cotton planter. It was the center of an estate that included a ten-pin bowling alley, billiard . . . — Map (db m68456) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — The Magnolia Hotel
Built by John Hohn in 1847. Its operation for a century attests to the Gulf Coast as a resort area. In 1972 structure moved to present location 100 yds. north of original site & restored by City of Biloxi. — Map (db m68447) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Tivoli Hotel
A six-story, blonde-brick structure with an arcaded gallery that wrapped its first story, the Italian Renaissance Revival-style Tivoli Hotel was one of Biloxi's early 20th century resorts, built in 1926-27 to designs by local architect Carl E. . . . — Map (db m68464) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Tullis-Toledano House
One of the most substantial of the vacation houses on the Gulf Coast, the Tullis Toledano House was built in 1856 for New Orleans native Christoval Sebastian Toledano (1789-1869) and his wife, Matilda Pradat Toledano. The estate, composed of a . . . — Map (db m102171) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Vance-Gillis House
Built in the 1830s, the French Creole house once located here incorporated Federal and Greek Revival decorative influences in its design. The gallery completely encircled the house, and its slender, colonnettes supported a broad hipped roof with . . . — Map (db m102173) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — White House Hotel
Established as the White House Inn in 1895, this hotel was first operated as a boarding house by Cora White. By 1910 the White House had grown in popularity and become a tourist destination. The campus encompassed seven residential . . . — Map (db m102179) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — William Bartram Trail
William Bartram, noted naturalist and journalist, traveled down the Mississippi and along the Gulf Coast in 1777. His observations of plant life, geography and inhabitants were published in 1791. — Map (db m79087) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Woolmarket
S. 3 mi. Once center of wool industry. Here on July 16, 1910, three rural schools formed Woolmarket Vocational High School, considered to be the first consolidated high school in the state. — Map (db m20010) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — 1863 East Pascagoula Raid
The Louisiana Native Guards, composed largely of former slaves and free men of color from Louisiana, were organized by Union Maj. Gen. Benjamin Butler in 1862. On April 9, 1863, 180 men from companies B and G of the 2nd Regiment, landed at . . . — Map (db m102161) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Dr. Felix Henry Dunn
An African American physician, lived and practiced medicine here fron 1953 until 2002. His work to register African American voters provoked repeated death threats and fire bombing of his clinic. He was president of the Gulfport Branch NAACP and . . . — Map (db m102169) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Gulf Coast College
Once located in the Handsboro Community, Gulf Coast College was founded in 1865 by Henry Leinhard as a private coeducational boarding school here on this site. In the early 1890's the college was converted into a public school. After the original . . . — Map (db m81008) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Gulf Coast Military Academy
This preparatory school for boys was founded in 1912. The senior division campus, closed in 1951, is now the site of the Armed Forces Retirement Home-Gulfport, formerly known as the United States Naval Home. The junior division campus, closed in . . . — Map (db m68452) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Gulfport Civil Rights Wade-In
Near this spot on April 17 and April 24, 1960, Gulfport NAACP president Dr. Felix Dunn and his family joined in peaceful "wade-in" demonstrations to challenge the laws denying African-Americans use of the beach. Gulfport police officers removed the . . . — Map (db m68450) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Handsboro
N.1 mi. Founded c. 1800. Famed, 1840-1900, for foundries, sawmills & shipyard; Coast's first newspaper, "Democrat" (1846); and many fine academies. Here Jeff. Davis attended Polar Star Lodge, founded in 1852. — Map (db m81006) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Mississippi City Courthouse
Constructed in 1893 as part of the Harrison County Circuit Clerk's office, the "Old Courthouse," located here, was a two-story, red brick edifice. It was the last remaining structure associated with a complex of courthouse buildings in Mississippi . . . — Map (db m81011) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Old Gulfport High School
The Gulfport High School, built in 1923 by architect N. W. Overstreet, replaced two earlier schools built in 1899 and 1905, both of which burned. Opened in 1924 at a new location on 15th Street, the school was converted to a junior high in 1977 due . . . — Map (db m102167) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — St. Mark's Episcopal Church
St. Mark's Episcopal Church, once located here, was organized as a mission parish in 1846. Originally a simple rectangular frame building with twin front doors. The church was altered and enlarged over the years and was moved from its original . . . — Map (db m81009) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — The Magnolia Route
On April 20, 1925, the Magnolia Route opened with a forty-hour, 1,000 mile endurance drive from Gulfport to Chicago. This route was designed to bring more commerce and tourism to Mississippi. — Map (db m80995) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — Early Long Beach
In 1788, Nicholas and Marianne Ladner became the first Europeans to settle in this area. Their log house, know as "The Chimneys", was used as a navigation point for boats traveling from Mobile to New Orleans. After Nicholas's death, the Spanish . . . — Map (db m81001) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Long Beach — Early Long Beach
In 1788, Nicholas and Marianne Ladner became the first Europeans to settle in this area. Their log house, know as "The Chimneys," was used as a navigation point for boats traveling from Mobile to New Orleans. After Nicholas's death, the Spanish . . . — Map (db m81002) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Pass Christian — Dixie "White House"
Built by John Backe of New Orleans in 1851. Here in 1913 Pres. Woodrow Wilson and family spent winter vacation as guests of the owner, Miss Alice Herndon. — Map (db m80997) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Pass Christian — Saucier-Bidwell-Pratt House
Side 1 Built ca. 1855 by Pierre Saucier, whose son was later mayor of Pass Christian, the two-story Greek Revival House located here had a central temple-like portico and square-columned galleries spanning its facade, and . . . — Map (db m81033) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Pass Christian — Scenic Drive Historic District
Due to the large number of 19th and early 20th century mansions once located here, Pass Christian's Scenic Drive was heralded as "The Newport of the South." Composed of architecturally significant vacation villas set among live oaks, this National . . . — Map (db m81042) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Bolton — Champion's Hill
Located 4.4 mi. S.W., is site of crucial battle in the Vicksburg defense, May 16, 1863. Grant, cutting off Johnston's relief, drove Pemberton from this hill across Big Black River. — Map (db m89736) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Cayuga — 11 — Final Plans at Cayuga
Grant established his headquarters here on May 10, remaining two days. On May 11, Tuttle's and Steele's divisions of the XV Corps passed through Cayuga and the XIII Corps camps at Fivemile Creek to Auburn, three and a half miles northeast. Lacking . . . — Map (db m103887) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Clinton — Benjamin Whitfield
Pioneer Baptist minister who, in 1824, settled in Hinds Co. and organ. Union Church in the Society Ridge Com. A founder of the Miss. Bapt. Conv. in 1836, he influenced that body to acquire Miss. Coll. in 1850. — Map (db m89733) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Clinton — Clinton Cemetery
Established ca. 1800, the Clinton Cemetery is one of the oldest in central Mississippi. Buried here are families of pioneer settlers, ten college presidents, and sixty-three Confederate soldiers. — Map (db m69598) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Clinton — Hillman College
Following the closure of the female department at Mississippi College in 1851, the Central Baptist Association founded the Central Female Institute on this site in 1853. The institute provided primary and secondary education, as well as a two-year . . . — Map (db m103743) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Clinton — Indian Trading Post
Operated at junction of Natchez Trace & Old Vicksburg Rd. by Robert H. Bell (1783-1835) & his "yellow man Vincent," freed by Bell's will in 1835. Bell-Vincent Scholarship, Millsaps College, endowed with funds from the sale of this land, memorializes . . . — Map (db m50873) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Clinton — Mississippi College
Founded 1826, is oldest of Mississippi senior colleges. Under Baptist control. Was first coeducational college to grant degree to a woman. Famed for producing many a leader in church and state. — Map (db m89732) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Clinton — Tanglewood
Tanglewood was originally built ca. 1845 on Norrell Road, then just south of Clinton, by Andrew and Nancy Thomas for their daughter Mary Jane and her husband, James A. Criddle. By 1876 Tanglewood had come into the ownership of Captain William Lewis . . . — Map (db m89730) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Edwards — Big Black River Bridge
After the defeat at Champion Hill, Confederate forces retreated to the Big Black River on the night of May 16, 1863. Here, Generals John Bowen and John Vaughn defended the east bank of the river and the bridge. On May 17, Federal forces under Gen. . . . — Map (db m80679) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Edwards — 15 — Change of Plans
On May 12, 1863, Grant made his headquarters here at Dillon's Farm with Sherman's XV Corps. At Raymond, five and a half miles east along Fourteenmile Creek, McPherson's XVII Corps, with 12,000 men, defeated 3,000 Confederates under John Gregg. Grant . . . — Map (db m80242) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Edwards — 13 — North to the Railroads
On May 12, 1863, after Grant and two divisions of the XV Corps marched past, three divisions of the XIII Corps turned here onto the Telegraph Road. Four miles north, they met a portion of the 1st Missouri (Dismounted) Cavalry at Whitaker's Ford. . . . — Map (db m80290) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Carter Jewelers
Established in 1849 by Carl J. Von Seutter as the Carl J. Von Seutter Jewelry and Art Emporium, this business was once located in the Majestic Arcade Building on Capitol Street. In 1918, one of Von Seutter's employees, John C. Carter, purchased the . . . — Map (db m51181) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Confederate Burial Ground
Over 450 Confederate soldiers who died in and around Jackson during the Civil War are buried here. Their names are known but not the exact site of each grave, as some were reburied here from graves where they fell. As Jackson awaited the final . . . — Map (db m105596) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Eudora Welty House
Eudora Welty (1909-2001), one of the most acclaimed writers of the twentieth century, lived in this house for seventy six years. This house was built by Welty's parents, Christian and Chestina Welty, in 1925. Eudora Welty wrote all of her major . . . — Map (db m91895) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — First Presbyterian Church
Organized by five Jacksonians in 1837. Under the leadership of Rev. L.D. Halsey, a church building was constructed herein 1845-46 on land purchased from the state. Utilized for Christian worship until 1951. — Map (db m107069) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Fortenberry-Parkman Farm
This typical family farmstead was in operation from 1860 to 1960. The buildings were moved from Jefferson Davis Co. in 1981 and restored through the generosity of the family, friends and county supervisors. — Map (db m69944) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Galloway Memorial United Methodist Church(Originally, First Methodist)
This edifice ~ a memorial to Bishop Charles Betts Galloway ~ houses descendants of Jackson's first Christian congregation, worshipping on this site since 1839. — Map (db m105560) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Greenwood Cemetery
Greenwood Cemetery is the oldest landmark in Jackson. Authorized by the Mississippi Legislature on January 1, 1823. It was later expanded from six to twenty-two acres and given its present name. Among those buried here are numerous governors, public . . . — Map (db m51179) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — MFWC Headquarters
The Mississippi Federation of Women’s Clubs, organized in 1898 in Kosciusko, moved into this headquarters building in 1936. Designed by architect Robert Naef and built by the Works Projects Administration, the structure is of the Georgian-Revival . . . — Map (db m72679) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Millsaps College
Chartered Feb. 21, 1890 by Miss. Methodists. Named for & largely endowed by Maj. R.W. Millsaps. Bishop C.B. Galloway first president of Board; Bishop W.B. Murrah first president of college. — Map (db m51205) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Mississippi State Historical MuseumOld Capitol Restoration
Served 1839-1903 as the state capitol: restored 1959-1961 as the State Historical Museum, a division of the Miss. Department of Archives and History. — Map (db m95483) HM

508 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 308
Paid Advertisement