Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Georgia Civil War Trails Historical Markers

 
State House Square Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, April 30, 2017
State House Square Marker
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — L16 — State House Square — "...pretty well ransacked and things torn up generally." — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
This 20-acre square as the center of Georgia's state government and location of its capitol building from 1807 until 1868. The "State House," imposing Gothic edifice that dominates the square contained the offices of the governor and the chambers of . . . — Map (db m103227) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — L14 — The Old Governor's Mansion — "Utmost Disorder and Confusion" — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Construction of this Executive Mansion was authorized in 1835 and completed in 1839. The governor's earlier residence, Government House, just to the south on the corner of Clarke and Greene Streets, had fallen into disrepair. The Mansion is . . . — Map (db m103230) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Cowles-Bond House — Railroads, Planters and Widow Bond — Wilson's Raid Heritage Trail
This impressive home was already more than a quarter century old when Union Major General James Harrison Wilson occupied it in 1865. It is a masterpiece of one of Macon's most notable early master-builders, Alexander Elam who designed this house for . . . — Map (db m103212) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Fort Hawkins — The Battle for Macon — Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails
During the early 1800s, Georgia grew through a series of treaties with the Creek Indians. After the Louisiana Purchase, President Thomas Jefferson authorized Benjamin Hawkins, Agent for Indian Affairs, to negotiate the 1805 treaty to expand Georgia . . . — Map (db m103214) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — R10 — Macon City Hall — Georgia's Temporary Capitol Building — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
The building that houses Macon’s City Hall was constructed in 1837 as headquarters for the Monroe Railroad and Banking Company. In 1845, the Greek Revival temple-style building was converted into Macon’s first “fire-proof” cotton . . . — Map (db m99439) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Macon Defensive Fortifications — The War Comes Home — Wilson's Raid Heritage Trail
Military earthworks, also variously called redoubts, lunettes, entrenchments and breastworks, have been used for centuries as points of lookout and defense. Early in the Civil War, soldiers learned to dig a simple trench behind an earthen parapet . . . — Map (db m103297) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Midville — R18 — Pine Barren Crossroads — A Junction of Sherman's Right Wing — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
This Native American trail crossing at Georgia Highway 56 (itself a 19th century road) was a major route in colonial times. It is named the "Old Savannah Road." Starting in Savannah, it crossed the Ogeechee River, running west and south of it, then . . . — Map (db m103274) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — L25 — The J.D. Roberts Home — A Witness to the Battles for Waynesborough — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Built about 1858 in the Georgian Cottage style as a home for J. D. Roberts, the house was designed by noted architect John Trowbridge. Subsequent occupants have included a doctor's office, millinery shop and county museum. In late 1864 the house . . . — Map (db m103299) HM
Georgia (Butts County), Jackson — R5 — Jackson — "Little was left besides themselves and their houses." — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Jackson, seat of Butts County, "was a beautiful little place and evidently occupied by the most prosperous people of that region. Those descriptive words were penned by Union Major Thomas W Osborn, Chief of Artillery of Major General Oliver O. . . . — Map (db m103197) HM
Georgia (Butts County), Jackson — R4 — Sylvan Grove Plantation — Colonel Spencer's Kindness — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
In 1864, Sylvan Grove Plantation was located just outside Jackson. Its owner, Asa Buttrill, built an impressive 14-room plantation house in the 1830s for his bride, Lucy Manley. The house stood slightly south of the large stone covering a wellspring . . . — Map (db m103196) HM
Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 39 — Patrick Cleburne Confederate Cemetery — Battle of Jonesborough - the Second Day — Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail
Located near the center of fighting on the second day of the Battle Jonesborough (Jonesboro), the final major battle of the Atlanta Campaign, this cemetery contains the graves of up to 1,000 Confederate soldiers killed while fighting here on August . . . — Map (db m103182) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — Kennesaw House — Symbol of Marietta's History — Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail
Also known as the “Fletcher House,” this building was originally built in 1845 as a cotton warehouse by Marietta’s first mayor, John H. Glover. Dix Fletcher purchased it in 1855, and after remodeling he opened it as a hotel. Located next . . . — Map (db m70102) HM
Georgia (Dade County), Trenton — Trenton — Gateway to Chickamauga and the Campaign for Atlanta — Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails
In early September 1863, a major Federal army entered Georgia for the first time since the outbreak of war. A division of Union Major General William S. Rosecrans' Army of the Cumberland arrived here on September 4th, the first of at least 25,000 . . . — Map (db m82779) HM
Georgia (Jasper County), Hillsboro — R7 — Hillsboro — The "Right Wing" Marches through Jasper County — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Hillsboro (originally spelled Hillsborough), named for pioneer settler Isaac Hill, is one of the oldest communities in central Georgia. It is the birthplace of Benjamin Harvey Hill, a United States and later Confederate States Senator. The . . . — Map (db m103202) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Bartow — R16 — Bartow — "...lighting a continuous fire..." — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
The land where you now stand was originally settled by Revolutionary War hero and statesman General Solomon Wood. To protect against Indian attacks Wood built a fort approximately one mile to the east for protection of his family and neighbors. . . . — Map (db m103273) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Louisville — L20 — Crossing the Ogeechee River — A Classic Military Maneuver — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
When an army crosses a large stream it is vulnerable to attack. Commanders often reduce this hazard by crossing at multiple locations, decreasing congestion and expediting the movement. When possible each crossing occurs within close supporting . . . — Map (db m103309) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Louisville — L21 — The Sacking of Louisville — "...thoroughly and completely ransacked..." — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
On Monday, November 28, 1864, Union Major General William T. Sherman's "Left Wing" commanded by Major General Henry W. Slocum reached the Ogeechee River and Rocky Comfort Creek just west of Louisville. The bridges had been destroyed by portions of . . . — Map (db m103307) HM
Georgia (Jenkins County), Millen — R19 — Millen Junction — "...its destruction was a brilliant spectacle." — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Millen Junction was founded in 1835 as an inn owned by Robert Hendricks Gray. Originally named Brisonville, it is located approximately 80 miles from Savannah on the Central Railroad of Georgia. Thus the town was also called "The 80 Mile Depot" . . . — Map (db m103275) HM
Georgia (Jenkins County), Perkins — L26 — Battle of Buck Head Creek — "...fire one volley and fall back." — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Big Buckhead Baptist Church was initially established in 1774 but was disrupted by the Revolutionary War. It was reconstituted in 1787. Delegates to the annual convention of Georgia Baptists meeting here in 1831, "Resolved, that as soon as the . . . — Map (db m103278) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — R9 — Old Clinton — "...with much difficulty he restrained them from burning the [entire] town." — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Founded in 1808 Clinton was a commercial and educational center and the early seat of Jones County. It was planned with streets in a New England styled gridiron pattern and a central square. In 1820 Clinton was the fourth -largest town in Georgia. . . . — Map (db m103208) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Round Oak — R8 — Sunshine Church — A Bitter Defeat — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
As part of a two-pronged Cavalry raid, on Wednesday, July 27 1864, Union Major General George Stoneman with over 2,100 troopers left the main Federal army then located near Atlanta. Stoneman's orders from Major General William T. Sherman, were to . . . — Map (db m103205) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — L22 — The Augusta Arsenal — A "great arsenal of construction..."
On January 24, 1861 five days after Georgia's secession from the Union, Governor Joseph E. Brown accepted the surrender of the United States Arsenal at Augusta from Captain Arnold Elzey. {Picture included} Brown rejected Elzey's . . . — Map (db m36086) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — L23 — The Confederate States Powder Works — "...the best powder mill in the world..."
When the conflict began in April 1861, leaders on both sides were unprepared to wage a long war. The Confederacy's industrial capacity was especially lacking, and munitions of all types were scarce. Initial stores of gunpowder . . . — Map (db m32882) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Chickamauga — Crawfish Spring — A "Magnificent" Respite from Carnage
Crawfish Spring was the first name given to the modern community Chickamauga, Georgia. Cherokees lived in this area before their forced removal in 1838, with their Chickamauga District courthouse located near the spring. In the 1840s an early white . . . — Map (db m12314) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Davisboro — R15 — New Hope Methodist Church — "We camp by side of...a neat frame church" — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
New Hope is the oldest Methodist Church still in existence in Washington County. Its early written church records are lost, but oral history relates that New Hope's original structure was built in the late 1700s. It was a one-room building with a . . . — Map (db m103249) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — L18 — The Brown House — A Bed and a Meal for General Sherman — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
The Brown House was built about 1850 by Nathan Haynes. It was purchased by merchant and planter William Gainer Brown about 1851. During the 1850s portraits of William and Miriah Brown were painted by an itinerant artist for $75 plus room and board. . . . — Map (db m103238) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — L17 — Washington County Courthouse — "We had fought for the town and it was our plunder." — Jefferson Davis Heritage Trail
On Thursday, November 24, 1864, the 14th and 20th Corps of Union Major General William T. Sherman's army began entering Washington County. By November 26th the 28,000 soldiers of the two corps arrived in Sandersville, marching on separate roads . . . — Map (db m103235) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Tennille — L19 — Tennille Station — Sherman's "Wings" Converge — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Tennille was founded in 1837 as Franklinville for Sam O. Franklin who gave land for the railroad's right-of-way and the town's creation. Its name was changed in 1842 after a prominent local citizen, Francis Tennille. The following year Tennille also . . . — Map (db m103239) HM
Georgia (Whitfield County), Dalton — Crow Valley — "...too strong to be carried without great slaughter." — Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail
The opening actions of the Atlanta Campaign occurred around Dalton during early May 1864. Union Major General William T. Sherman's strategy, as two of his three armies approached from the north and northwest, involved a series of demonstrations by . . . — Map (db m85914) HM
Georgia (Whitfield County), Dalton — Fort Hill — "...my situation was a desperate one..." — Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails
The Confederate "Army of Tennessee" that defended Dalton from November 1863 to May 1864 briefly returned here the following October. It was much depleted in both size and spirit. Their unsuccessful defense of Atlanta ended with its fall on September . . . — Map (db m86563) HM
Georgia (Wilkinson County), Gordon — R12 — Gordon — The First Phase Completed — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Station Number 17 on the Central Railroad of Georgia, Gordon was named for. William W. Gordon, first president of the Central Railroad (and grandfather of Juliette Gordon Low, founder of the Girl Scouts of the USA). It was a strategic point . . . — Map (db m103218) HM

31 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement