Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Virginia, The City of Alexandria Historical Markers

These markers have been erected by the City of Alexandria, Virginia.
 
Close Up of the 1803 Map image, Touch for more information
By Craig Swain, January 28, 2010
Close Up of the 1803 Map
Virginia (Alexandria), Eisenhower East — The Cameron Valley — Early Industrial Development in Western Alexandria
The area west of the Mill Race complex once was a sloping meadow through which ran the meandering tail race of the Cameron Mills. The mill site itself was located beneath what is now the parking garage of the Hoffman Center complex. Built in the . . . — Map (db m27230) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Eisenhower East — The Duke Street Tanyard — Alexandria Heritage Trail
Peter Wise, a city councilman and tanner, established the Duke Street Tanyard in 1797. The Business was situated near the stone bridge on the east bank of Hooff's Run by West End Village. The tannery's ownership and name changed many times; Quakers . . . — Map (db m72479) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Alexandria — A Place Through Time
13,000 years ago The Paleoindian Period A Native American hunter during the Paleoindian period discards a broken spear point, on a bluff overlooking a tributary to the Potomac River at the southern edge of present-day Alexandria. . . . — Map (db m115772) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Alexandria Archaeology Museum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
The launch of urban renewal in 1965 led to a boom of archaeological discoveries in Alexandria's Old and Historic District. As buildings were razed exposing artifact-laden layers of history, community outcry demanded that the City address and halt . . . — Map (db m115770) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Barrett Library / Black History Museum
The Alexandria Library's Kate Waller Barrett Branch (2 blocks north, 1 block east) and the Alexandria Black History Museum (6 blocks north) have an unusual shared history. The library building was constructed in 1938 and named for Dr. Kate Waller . . . — Map (db m115715) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Christ Church — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Before the American Revolution, the Church of England was the established church of Virginia and part of the colonial government. For administrative purposes, the colony was divided into "parishes" and all residents paid taxes to maintain church . . . — Map (db m115716) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Edgar Warfield — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
One of King Street's greatest commercial buildings was built by one of Alexandria's most beloved citizens. Edgar Warfield, Jr. was born in 1842, and at the age of 18 he co-founded the "Old Dominion Rifles," a Confederate militia that served in the . . . — Map (db m115749) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Electric Railway — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Alexandria's electric streetcar system, the Washington, Alexandria & Mount Vernon Railway, was established in 1892 between Alexandria and Mount Vernon. In 1896, the line extended into Washington, crossing the Long Bridge where the 14th Street Bridge . . . — Map (db m115760) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Friendship Firehouse — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
In an 18th century town of mostly wooden buildings, where open flames provided heat, light and cooking on a daily basis, Alexandrians constantly faced the danger of fire. Water to fight fires had to be carried in buckets from nearby wells, town . . . — Map (db m115714) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — From Factory to Housing — The History of 515 N. Washington Street — City of Alexandria, Est. 1749 —
Alexandria's First Cotton Factory On April 19, 1847, the Mount Vernon Manufacturing Company purchased this lot along North Washington Street. The present building on this site was completed a year later in 1848, becoming the city's first . . . — Map (db m127782) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Gadsby's Tavern — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Restoration In the early 20th century Alexandria's economy was struggling, despite major efforts to develop a strong industrial base. But by the early 1920s, inspired by efforts to restore the colonial city of Williamsburg, Virginia, . . . — Map (db m129178) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Gadsby's Tavern Museum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Gadsby's Tavern Museum consists of two buildings — the smaller c.1875 tavern and larger 1792 City Tavern and Hotel. While both were constructed by John Wise, they were made famous by John Gadsby, a rising tavern keeper who rented the buildings . . . — Map (db m115755) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — George Washington in Alexandria — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
George Washington considered Alexandria his hometown after its founding in 1749, and it is here that he came to do business, learn the events of the world, pick up mail, and visit friends. His first association with the town was probably as a 17 . . . — Map (db m115747) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — George Washington Memorial Parkway — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
A visit to George Washington's Mount Vernon estate, about nine miles to the south, has long been viewed as a patriotic duty of Americans. In the late 19th century, visitors often traveled there from Washington by boat, stopping first in Alexandria. . . . — Map (db m115719) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — In Memory of Captain Ryan Wojtanowski — 1953 to 2016
All stories should end with accumulating snow. Increasing depth racing the concluding plot Erasing the physical details of the recent narrative Leaving only softened shapes and relative positions And as the end obliterating even . . . — Map (db m143372) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Lee-Fendall House — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Revolutionary War hero Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee, father of Confederate General Robert E. Lee, purchased several lots on North Washington Street in Alexandria soon after the War for Independence. He lived with his family in a house on Cameron . . . — Map (db m115721) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Market Square — Old Town — Welcome City of Alexandria 1749 —
Alexandria's Market Square was established only a few years after the town was founded in 1749. The site selected was centrally located in a prime block of the colonial settlement, immediately adjacent to the City Hall. At the time, Cameron and . . . — Map (db m115757) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Marshall House — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
In the early morning hours of May 24, 1861, the day after a public referendum in Virginia supported secession from the United States, Alexandria was invaded by Union forces crossing the Potomac. Colonel Elmer E. Ellsworth, the young commander of the . . . — Map (db m115753) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Retail in Alexandria — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
The 500 block of King Street has long been associated with retail trade in Alexandria. In the late 18th century, Adam Lynn, Sr. owned the quarter-block at this corner of King and St. Asaph Streets, where he operated a small bake shop selling . . . — Map (db m115746) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — River Ferries — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Potomac River ferry companies date back to as early as 1740, when Hugo West received permission to operate a ferry from the Hunting Creek warehouse in Prince William over the Potomac River to Fraziers Point in Maryland "...the price for a man 1 . . . — Map (db m143267) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
The Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum traces one of America's oldest continuously-run family businesses that combined manufacturing, wholesaling and retailing. Founded in 1792, and operated just across Fairfax Street until 1933, the pharmacy was . . . — Map (db m115762) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Alexandria Lyceum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
One block south is The Alexandria Lyceum, formed as a public education organization in 1834 by Quaker schoolmaster Benjamin Hallowell and other civic leaders. In 1839, the founders joined with the Alexandria Library Company to construct a . . . — Map (db m115718) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Athenaeum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Home to the Northern Virginia Fine Arts Association, the Athenaeum is a fine example of Greek Revival architecture, with a long and colorful history of occupation. The building was constructed between 1851 and 1852 as the Bank of the Old Dominion, . . . — Map (db m115768) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Civil War Comes to Alexandria — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
In 1860, Alexandria was a vibrant southern city boasting a population of 12,652 and 96 firms which produced everything from bark to tin-ware. During the U.S. Presidential campaign in the fall of 1860, business-minded Alexandrians were decidedly . . . — Map (db m115781) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Gadsby's Tavern Ice Well
Underground ice wells were used in the 18th and 19th centuries to store ice for use during the warm months. In Alexandria, blocks of ice were cut from the Potomac River. Ice was placed in this well through a square opening which is marked in the . . . — Map (db m129196) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — The Port City — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
From this point, King Street slopes gently down to the Potomac. But when Alexandria was founded in 1749, the new town was perched on a high bluff some 20 feet above the river. The town was established on a shore of a crescent-shaped bay that . . . — Map (db m115766) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Timberman Brothers — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
At the turn of the 20th century, Alexandria was home to at least a dozen pharmacies, two of them associated with the name Timberman. Charles Parke Custis Timberman and other brother John Elmer Winfield Timberman were born near Pohick Church in 1878 . . . — Map (db m115723) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Torpedo Factory Art Center — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Originally called the United States Naval Torpedo Station, the Torpedo Factory was built during World War I, and was specifically designed for the fabrications of dangerous naval ordnance. The building was barely completed when that war ended in . . . — Map (db m115784) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — War of 1812 — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Few periods of Alexandria's history have been more tumultuous than the War of 1812. During the first decade of the 19th century, Great Britain's interception of American ships, impressment of U.S. seamen, and support of Indian aggression along the . . . — Map (db m115769) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Wilkes Street Tunnel — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Alexandria Heritage Trail —
The Wilkes Street Tunnel was part of the eastern division of the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, founded in 1848 to promote trade with western Virginia. The Orange & Alexandria inaugurated its track in Alexandria on May 7, 1851 with a run from the . . . — Map (db m143378) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — Windmill Hill — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Alexandria Heritage Trail —
Now a city park, Windmill Hill got its name from the windmill built here on Miller's Cliff by inventor John R. Remington in 1843. With soothing winds and a grand view of the busy port, the hill was the scene of fashionable promenades and numerous . . . — Map (db m143377) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Historical District — World War I Memorial
In honor of all from the City of Alexandria who served and died during World War I Robert Adams George Anderton Stanley Bernard Herbert Bernhard William Bradley Bernard Brock William Brown Christopher Cloxom Thomas Cook . . . — Map (db m129195) WM
Virginia (Alexandria), Landmark — Bush Hill
Josiah Watson, a wealthy merchant and postmaster of Alexandria, established his 272-acre plantation, “Bush Hill”, in 1791. Richard Marshall Scott purchased the plantation in 1791; his family stayed here for 200 years. Scott was an . . . — Map (db m2610) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Landmark — Cloud's Mill Race
This historic site is a section of the mill race that provided water power to Cloud's Mill which stood directly across Paxton street. At the intersection of Beauregard and Morgan Streets, water diverted from the Holmes Run ran through the . . . — Map (db m150801) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Landmark — James Marx All Veterans Park
James Marx All Veterans Park May 30, 1994Map (db m150791) WM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — Alexandria, D.C. — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Alexandria was established by Virginia's colonial assembly in 1749, over four decades the U.S. Congress authorized creation of a national capital on the banks of the Potomac River. Once the final site for the Federal city was selected by President . . . — Map (db m141166) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — Carver School — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Just two blocks north of this location along Fayette Street (named for the Marquis de Lafayette who visited Alexandria in 1824), near the southwest corner of Queen Street, stood the Old Powder House, dating from 1791-1809. On the same spot, the . . . — Map (db m115713) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — Freedom House Museum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
The building at 1315 Duke Street, two blocks south of here, was originally built around 1812 as a residence for General Robert Young, commander of Alexandria's militia, who died in 1824. This three-story brick building then became the headquarters . . . — Map (db m115706) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — Port City — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Historically, Alexandria's development moved from east to west, and three distinct areas of the city have unofficially been known as the "West End." The first West End ended at Shuter's Hill, the current site of the George Washington Masonic . . . — Map (db m115709) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town — Shuter's Hill — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Shuter's Hill, a high bluff overlooking King Street, is probably named for the a local resident named Shuter who lived nearby in the 1740s. The site has been visited by people for more than 5,000 years. In fact, archaeologists have uncovered . . . — Map (db m115785) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town North — Cross Canal — Historic Site
This area, called "Cross Canal," was a neighborhood of black residents who settled across from the canal shortly after the Civil War. The canal, located just north of this marker, extended from the Potomac River to Washington Street, thence north to . . . — Map (db m129476) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town North — The Tale of Spa Spring — Alexandria Heritage Trail — City of Alexandria, Virginia —
"Mr. A.C. made a daily visit to the spring, and attributed much of his usual good health to the Spa" (Alexandria Gazette 1862). Mineral springs are popular places to visit and Alexandria's Spa Spring was no exception. . . . — Map (db m147121) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — Carver Nursery School / Post 129 — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
This modest, wood-frame building has played an important role in the segregated history of Alexandria. During World War II, the federal government encouraged women to join the war effort by providing safe and affordable day care. In Alexandria, as . . . — Map (db m129190) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — Colross-Alexandria's Urban Phoenix — Alexandria Heritage Trail
For over a century, this two-acre block was occupied by a mansion known as Colross. Built in 1800 by John Potts, the mansion, with its outbuildings, gardens, orchard, and a "clover lot" was in effect a small plantation. Colross's owners . . . — Map (db m72384) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — Robert Robinson Library 1940 — Alexandria Black Resource Center / History Museum - 1989
Panel 1: In the summer of 1939, Attorney Samuel W. Tucker organized six youths — William Evans, Otto Tucker, Edward Caddis, Morris Murray, Clarence Strange, and Robert Strange — for a “sit-in” at the segregated . . . — Map (db m141636) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — The Hump: Open Lots For Blocks
The racially integrated working-class neighborhood known as the Hump, named for the high ground at its northern boundary, once spanned three blocks, centering on the 800 block of Montgomery Street. The Hump was first settled in the decade following . . . — Map (db m72500) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — The Memorial Pool — Casualties of Segregation
African Americans in Alexandria suffered, along with other of their race, when a segregated system prevented them from enjoying recreation facilities in their hometown. From 1926 to 1951, the city had a municipal pool for white residents only. . . . — Map (db m80843) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Old Town West — War, Rails, and Wells — Alexandria Heritage Trail —
This city block became part of the Alexandria town grid in 1798. Near the rural outskirts of the developing town, the block remained vacant throughout the nineteenth century. Colross, a country estate, was established in the vicinity, and outside . . . — Map (db m70671) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — Captain Rocky Versace Plaza and Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Captain Rocky Versace Plaza and Vietnam Veterans Memorial [In the center of the memorial:] ★ My son is ★ was ★ he often did ★ does ★ his eyes are ★ were brown ★ Tere Rios Versace . . . — Map (db m115677) WM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — History at Four Mile Run Park — La historia de Four Mile Run
Four Mile Run and the course of its namesake waterway have changed dramatically over the centuries, partly due to natural events and partly to modern human engineering. Although a setting for a rich abundance of plant and animal . . . — Map (db m130987) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — Mount Vernon Avenue — Town of Potomac — 1908 - 1929 —
Proposals for a modern road connecting the nation's capital with the Mount Vernon Estate were raised in 1888 and proceeded in fits and starts for the next forty-two years. By 1900, a patchwork of new roads and renamed existing roads had created . . . — Map (db m115149) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — Potomac Town Hall and Firehouse — Town of Potomac — 1908 - 1929 —
Local citizens formed the Town of Potomac on March 13, 1908, to provide better services and promote growth. Taxes paid for police and public works projects, such as water and sewer service to replace polluted wells and outhouses. Electric . . . — Map (db m146442) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — Potomac Yard History — Town of Potomac — 1908 - 1929 —
English settlers built several plantations on the site in the 18th century. The land, much owned by the Swann and Daingerfield families, became part of Alexandria County, D.C. with the creation of the District of Columbia in 1791, and retroceded to . . . — Map (db m115145) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — Schools in the Town of Potomac — Town of Potomac — 1908 - 1929 —
In September 1900, Alexandria County opened the original Mount Vernon School on this property to educate children up to the 8th grade. In spite of continual expansion, crowding was always a problem. By 1932, it was necessary to rent the bank . . . — Map (db m115682) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — St. Asaph Racetrack — Town of Potomac — 1908 - 1929 —
The Alexandria Gentleman's Driving Club laid out a track just north of here that was operating by 1894, colloquially known as "the St. Asaph Track." In 1897, however, Virginia banned horse race betting, so the track was never as profitable as . . . — Map (db m115144) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — The Alexandria Almshouse — 1908 Town of Potomac 1929
The Alexandria Almshouse was a publicly-funded poorhouse and workhouse where the needy could find refuge and the courts often sentenced people for vagrancy or indebtedness. Residents worked hard for their sustenance. The Almshouse was built about . . . — Map (db m133930) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — The Bluemont Line
The Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad was formed in 1847 to carry the agricultural produce of the Shenandoah Valley and western Virginia coal to the port of Alexandria. Financial difficulties, however, meant that the line never got farther . . . — Map (db m73579) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — The Electric Railway — Town of Potomac — 1908 - 1929 —
The interurban streetcar caused a revolution in American life, permitting for the first time a suburban lifestyle. "Streetcar suburbs" became the 20th-century ideal of American middle-class family life with a home, yard and commute to work in the . . . — Map (db m115680) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — The Town of Potomac — Town of Potomac — 1908 - 1929 —
When the Washington, Alexandria & Mount Vernon Railway announced plans in 1892 that included tracks between Washington, D.C. and Alexandria, the flat, open land north of Alexandria became a logical site for a new community. The development firm of . . . — Map (db m115147) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac West — The Triangle Site — Town of Potomac — 1908 - 1929 —
The location of Del Ray Central apartments is often referred to as The Triangle Site. Both the topography of this place and transportation corridors defined the site's shape. The eastern side drops sharply down to the flat plain on which Potomac . . . — Map (db m115676) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac Yard — Building Potomac Yard — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Potomac Yard —
Potomac Yard was located between Washington D.C. and Alexandria because the site already served as the confluence of many shipping routes; was centrally located on the eastern seaboard; and would alleviate troublesome train congestion from smaller . . . — Map (db m115669) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac Yard — Crossroads of Transportation — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Potomac Yard —
The Potomac Yard site has historically been an intersection for transportation because of its location between Washington D.C. and Alexandria and the availability of open, level land near the river. Even before Potomac Yard was built, the property . . . — Map (db m115667) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac Yard — Potomac Yard in Transition — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Potomac Yard —
Despite its function as a major rail classification yard for many years, Potomac Yard was not immune to the economic pressures and competition from other modes of transportation. Trucks and airplanes eventually reduced the need for goods and . . . — Map (db m115650) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac Yard — The Alexanders & Agriculture — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Potomac Yard —
Potomac Yard was once part of a vast, wooded landscape overlooking the Potomac River. The original 6,000-acre tract (about 9 square miles) was passed down through generations of the John Alexander family and divided among surviving spouses and . . . — Map (db m115672) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac Yard — Panel-4 — The People of Potomac Yard — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
When Potomac Yard opened in 1906, it employed 1,200 people. At its peak during World War II (1941–1945), yard expansion increased the workforce to almost 1,500 people. Inspectors, brakemen, switch operators, locomotive engineers, mechanics, . . . — Map (db m115668) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac Yard — The Rail Yard Hump — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Potomac Yard —
Certain rail classification yards depended on a simple landform called the "hump." Potomac Yard had two humps: one for the northbound trains and one for the southbound trains. Trains first entered a receiving yard where locomotives were detached . . . — Map (db m115665) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Potomac Yard — Virginia's First Highways — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Potomac Yard —
When Native Americans moved into the Mid-Atlantic region of the United States they traveled on the waterways created overland routes for hunting, migration, and trade. In essence, they were Virginia's first highways. These routes often followed the . . . — Map (db m115675) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Rosemont — A Crossroads Through Time — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Alexandria Heritage Trail —
Three roads formed this Fairfax County intersection by the early 19th century. Braddock Road, Middle Turnpike (later called Leesburg Pike/King Street/Route 7) and Quaker Lane were the wagon routes for trade between the port town of Alexandria and . . . — Map (db m150816) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Seminary Hill — "The Fort" and "Seminary" Community — Civil War to Civil Rights — City of Alexandria, Virginia Est. 1749 —
African Americans established "The Fort," a community that continued here after the Civil War (1861-1864) for nearly a century into the Civil Rights Era of the 1960s. The place received its name from The Fort's location around the remnants of . . . — Map (db m149722) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Seminary Hill — African Americans and the Civil War — Fleeing, Fighting and Working for Freedom — City of Alexandria, Virginia Est. 1749 —
The Civil War (1861-1865) opened the door for opportunity and civil rights for African American Virginians, about 90 percent of whom were enslaved in 1860. The upheaval from battles and the federal presence in Alexandria and eastern Fairfax . . . — Map (db m149734) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Seminary Hill — Gerald R. Ford — Thirty-Eighth President of the United States — Alexandria Resident 1951-1974 —
Former U.S. President Gerald R. Ford and his family lived in Alexandria for 23 years before he became President. The Fords moved to Park Fairfax in 1951, when he was in his second term in Congress (R-Michigan). The family moved into a new house at . . . — Map (db m133935) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Seminary Hill — Jackson Cemetery — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
In 1884, James F. Jackson purchased the largest parcel in "The Fort," a post-Civil War African American community. He paid $300 for his 11.5 acres with the "western slope of a bank of Fort Ward." James and wife Catherine (Katie/Kittie), natives . . . — Map (db m149737) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Seminary Hill — Oakland Baptist Church Cemetery — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
In 1939, Samuel Javins conveyed the land which was referred to as "Oakland Church lot" nine years earlier, to the Oakland Baptist Church, after the death of his wife, Florence McKnight Javins. She inherited the property from her mother, Harriet . . . — Map (db m81223) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Seminary Hill — Outlying Gun Battery — City of Alexandria, Virginia
This outlying 6-gun battery was constructed to cover the ravine where Interstate 395 is located today. The remains of a covered-way rifle trench that extended from the Northwest Bastion is visible near the park road. This trench provided protection . . . — Map (db m149735) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Seminary Hill — Phoenix Mill — Alexandria Heritage Trail — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 —
Phoenix Mill is the last surviving remnant of Alexandria's once thriving milling industry. William Hartshorne built the four-story mill in 1801. The mill was built at a time when Northern Virginia's economy shifted from tobacco to grain production, . . . — Map (db m133936) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Seminary Hill — Powder Magazine and Filling Room
Ammunition for the fort's guns was kept in underground storage facilities called magazines and filling rooms. Shells were armed and sometimes stored in the filling room, while the magazine was used to hold black powder and crated rounds. Implements . . . — Map (db m7711) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Seminary Hill — Profile of Fort
This exterior view of the restored Northwest Bastion illustrates the effectiveness of an earthwork fort. The fort walls were 18-22 feet high, 12-14 feet thick, and slanted at 45 degrees. To gain access to the fort an attacker would have to cross . . . — Map (db m7714) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Seminary Hill — Rifle Trench
This rifle trench extended from the North Bastion toward Battery Garesche located beyond Leesburg Turnpike (Route 7). Another rifle trench extended from the tip of the South Bastion near the Fort Gate. The rifle trenches prevented enemy troops from . . . — Map (db m7715) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Seminary Hill — Southwest Bastion — City of Alexandria, Virginia
The Southwest Bastion was the most heavily fortified area of the fort with emplacements for seven guns, as well as a magazine and a filling room. The largest gun in Fort Ward, a 100-pounder Parrott Rifle, was located in the Southwest Bastion. . . . — Map (db m7684) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Seminary Hill — The Oakland Baptist Church — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Several residents of "The Fort" community were founders of the Oakland Baptist Church, which is located at the intersection of King Street and Braddock Road. The congregation started worshiping in a bush arbor as Oak Hill Baptist Mission in 1888 . . . — Map (db m81185) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Seminary Hill — Within Its Walls — A Foundation for Education and Opportunity
Clara Shorts Adams and Robert Adams conveyed a quarter-acre to the Falls Church School District of Fairfax County in 1898 for the purpose of educating African American children. The one-room "Colored School Building at Seminary" was the first public . . . — Map (db m81515) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Southwest Quadrant — 1323 Duke Street – From Slavery to Freedom and Service — Alexandria Heritage Trail —
Text, upper half of marker panel: This house, built by Emmanuel Jones by 1888, stands at the corner of a block that witnessed the extremes of 19th century African American experience. From a slave trading company to significant . . . — Map (db m46124) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Southwest Quadrant — Brick Making on Broomilaw Point — ca. 1882-1919 — City of Alexandria, Est. 1749 —
John Tucker's small factory at Broomilaw Point was one of several brickyards that operated in the City of Alexandria. Park Agnew and M.B. Harlow bought the brickworks in 1890, expanding and mechanizing Tucker's small operation. By 1890, the . . . — Map (db m127763) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Southwest Quadrant — Contrabands and Freedmen Cemetery Memorial
The Contrabands and Freedmen Cemetery Memorial is dedicated to honoring more than 1,700 people of African descent buried here during and following the Civil War, as well as those who may have been laid to rest after the cemetery officially . . . — Map (db m77244) HM WM
Virginia (Alexandria), Southwest Quadrant — Contrabands and Freedmen Cemetery Memorial
Seeking freedom and a chance to begin a new life thousands of African Americans fleeing slavery flooded Civil War-era Alexandria. The city was quickly overwhelmed, and as living conditions grew dire, many perished from disease and deprivation. In . . . — Map (db m86652) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Southwest Quadrant — Hooff's Run Bridge — Alexandria Heritage Trail
The bridge is one of the last remnants of Alexandria's first railroad, the Orange & Alexandria. The “O&ARR,” as it was commonly called, opened in 1851 and had 148 miles of track in 1860. The bridge was constructed by the railroad as it . . . — Map (db m99330) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Southwest Quadrant — The West End — Alexandria Heritage Trail
The area around duke street between Hooff's Run and the base of Shuter's Hill was once known as "West End." Originally subdivided and sold by John and Thomas West in the 1780s, West End became a thriving community well positioned for commerce along . . . — Map (db m72367) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Southwest Washington — Shipyard Park — Harborside
John Hunter established one of the first shipyards in the City at the foot of Wilkes Street as early at 1783. The first "Potomac River Longboat" was built here at Hunters Shipyard in 1815. Shipbuilding and repair continued on this site for well over . . . — Map (db m143370) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Taylor Run — A Chinquapin House — Alexandria Heritage Trail
Built in 1941 for World War II workers at the Torpedo Factory on the Potomac River in Alexandria, the Chinquapin Village War Housing Project was designed with a series of courts radiating from the circular road present today. Four to six duplexes . . . — Map (db m150804) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Taylor Run — A Native American Village — Alexandria Heritage Trail
People have lived and worked along Taylor Run for thousands of years. The first Alexandrians probably walked along the stream bank at least 10,000 years ago. These early peoples lived in small, mobile bands and subsisted through hunting and . . . — Map (db m150807) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Taylor Run — Chinquapin Trek — Alexandria Heritage Trail
Travel the Chinquapin Trek The Chinquapin trek takes you back in time. Interpretive signs discuss the process associated with the formation of Taylor Run and forest succession. Illustration of trees, plants and wildlife assist you in . . . — Map (db m150802) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Taylor Run — Fun in the Forest — Alexandria Heritage Trail
This forest has long been a natural playground for children growing up in the area. The woods around the village extended to Quaker Lane and janney's Lane. During World War II, when the Chinquapin Village children took a break from playing ball . . . — Map (db m150814) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Taylor Run — Life of a Creek — Alexandria Heritage Trail
Numerous creeks, such as Taylor Run, crisscross Alexandria's landscape. Each creek is an important part of the ecology of the woodland through which it flows, providing habitat for small fish, amphibians and aquatic invertebrates. Creeks also . . . — Map (db m150811) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Taylor Run — Life of a Forest — Alexandria Heritage Trail
What is Succession? The forest in this area of the Park is changing from primarily an evergreen (conifer) forest of white pine trees to a younger oak and hickory (deciduous) forest. The white pine forest began about 80 years ago . . . — Map (db m150809) HM
Virginia (Alexandria), Taylor Run — Listen for Chipmunks — Alexandria Heritage Trail
One of the most familiar inhabitants of the Park's woodlands is the Eastern Chipmunk (Tamias striatus). This small mammal constructs an elaborate underground burrow consisting of several chambers connected by a series of tunnels. As it . . . — Map (db m150805)
Virginia (Alexandria), Taylor Run — Mills and Molassas — Alexandria Heritage Trail
In the early part of the 20th century, the Chinquapin Park area was a wooded place with abundant water. People living along King Street walked to the spring near here to obtain water for use in their homes. Sugar was also grown and processed . . . — Map (db m150813) HM

96 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 4, 2020