Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

William G. Pomeroy Foundation Historical Markers

"The William G. Pomeroy Foundation strongly believes that historic markers play an important role in local historic preservation by serving a dual purpose. They educate the public and foster historic tourism, which in turn can provide much needed economic benefits to the towns and villages where the markers are placed."
377 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 177
 
1932-1934 Druid Hill Avenue image, Touch for more information
By Devry Becker Jones, November 28, 2019
1932-1934 Druid Hill Avenue
Maryland (Baltimore), Upton — 8 — Suffrage Leaders — Road to the 19th Amendment — National Votes for Women Trail —
Augusta Chissell & Margaret Hawkins held meetings of African American women's suffrage clubs here in their neighboring homes 1915-1916. — Map (db m143007) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 276 — Henry Crounse
Union Army Captain NY 91st Regiment Co. D Lived and Farmed on this Site from ca. 1822 Until his Death in 1901 — Map (db m128002) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — 347 — Anti-Rent
Convention Held Here January 15, 1845. Delegates From 11 Counties Petitioned State To End Unjust Land Lease System. — Map (db m131413) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — 227 — Palatine Trail
Road Used for Travel West to Schoharie Valley As Early as 1767, The Town of Knox Began To Grow Around This Path. — Map (db m88107) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — 226 — Toll Gate #3
Old Albany and Schoharie Plank Road Passed Here Between 1849 and 1866. Wagons on Wood Planks Said To Make a Thunderous Noise — Map (db m91049) HM
New York (Albany County), New Scotland — 280 — Lime Kiln Farm
Named for Stone Kilns used to make lime. First farmed 1842. Miller Family farmed here over 100 years beginning in 1905. — Map (db m97287) HM
New York (Allegany County), Andover — 308 — Early Cemetery
Cole-Dike cemetery first burial Zeriah Dike in 1798. Revolutionary War veteran Nathaniel Dike 1747-1813 buried here. — Map (db m133057) HM
New York (Allegany County), Bolivar — Early Cemetery
Used as a burial ground for pioneer families: Lesuer, Tyler, Cowles, Kellogg, Mead, Daniels, Beers, Davie stones date from the 1820's. — Map (db m88284) HM
New York (Allegany County), Bolivar — Lesuer House
Early settler Eli Lesuer bought this property 1834. Elected 1st town assessor 1825, school commissioner 1834, and path master 1846. — Map (db m88283) HM
New York (Allegany County), Canaseraga — 36 — A Hairy Legend — Legends & Lore
First sighted Aug 18, 1926 hairy women of Klipnocky, once young girls, inhabit this forest, waiting for their parents' return. — Map (db m127569) HM
New York (Allegany County), Ceres — Ceres School
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m88289) HM
New York (Broome County), Binghamton — 490 — Centenary Church
Site of the 45th Annual Convention of the NY State Woman Suffrage Association attended by 162 delegates October 14-17, 1913 — Map (db m132676) HM
New York (Broome County), Binghamton — Phelps Mansion Museum
Phelps Mansion Museum has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places 1973 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m92921) HM
New York (Broome County), Maine — 395 — Pitcher's Mill
Grist mill founded ca. 1830 by H.B. & Daniel Slosson. Owned by A. Pitcher 1920-1949, closed in 1955. Donated to historical society in 1988. — Map (db m132753) HM
New York (Broome County), Vestal — 386 — 1870 Tannery
Ezekiel Clark tanned sheep hides here in thirty-six vats of hemlock bark. Last owner U.S. Leather closed business ca. 1900. — Map (db m132769) HM
New York (Broome County), Vestal — Chugnut
Native American village near mouth of Big Choconut Creek. Destroyed by General Enoch Poor August 18, 1779, Clinton-Sullivan Campaign. — Map (db m127570) HM
New York (Broome County), Vestal — Drovers Inn
1844 inn built by John and Jacob Rounds as stopover for drovers. Scene of many political discussions. Rounds home after 1855. — Map (db m127573) HM
New York (Broome County), Vestal — Rounds Cemetery
Pioneer Alfred Rounds and some of his descendants are buried in this stone-walled family cemetery on land son Jacob purchased in 1825. — Map (db m127574) HM
New York (Broome County), Vestal — 306 — Vestal Depot
Built 1881 in Carpenter Gothic style for D.L. & W. Railroad. Moved to this site in 1972. Restored and reopened as museum in 1976. — Map (db m128008) HM
New York (Broome County), Vestal — 312 — Vestal Park — Cemetery Est. 1834.
Revolutionary War veterans John Rush and William Weston, Civil War veterans and early town settlers buried here. — Map (db m128009) HM
New York (Broome County), Vestal — 307 — Vestal Parkway
Parkway style highway built 1941. Completed 1951. Led to rapid development along what became Vestal's "$50 Million Main Street." — Map (db m133061) HM
New York (Broome County), Vestal — 396 — Willis Cemetery
Burials 1810-1934 David & Phebe Willis arrived in Willow Point CA. 1796, Elias Willis owned local tavern. Buried here with family. — Map (db m127997) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Allegany — 520 — Oscar F. Wilber
Civil War private buried here Died in 1863 from wounds rec'd at Chancellorsville. Subject of Walt Whitman's 1864 essay "A New York Soldier". — Map (db m132668) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Ellicottville — Jefferson Street Cemetery
Jefferson Street Cemetery has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m89102) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Franklinville — Cadiz Cemetery
Cadiz Cemetery Earliest burial Abigail Curtis in 1837. Revolutionary War, War of 1812 and Civil War veterans buried here. — Map (db m86623) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Great Valley — 255 — Plank Road House
Built ca 1856 at junction of Ellicottville-Great Valley Plank Road & road to Franklinville. Served as hotel, livery & post office — Map (db m95789) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Leon — Leon Grange
Leon Grange has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2014 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m133013) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Little Valley — 496 — War Memorial
Bldg. dedicated Sept. 7, 1914 to honor the nearly 3,500 Cattaraugus County citizens who served in the Army and Navy during the Civil War. — Map (db m132670) HM WM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Lyndon — Early School
Early School The North Lyndon school was built ca. 1844 and remained in use until 1947. The school still retains many of its original features. — Map (db m86611) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — 288 — Auburn Airport
1941-1952 built by the flying farmers: Leman Ingalls, Hugh Darrow, Ralph Bower, Frank Nugent. Offered lessons and charter flights — Map (db m133053) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Aurora — Postal Service
First regular mail delivery west of Canajoharie est. April 1, 1795 in Aurora. Judge Wood, postmaster. — Map (db m145766) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Genoa — 249 — Genoa Mill
On this site ca 1859-1942 provided flour milling on bank of Mill Pond created ca. 1835 from damming Salmon Creek. — Map (db m133156) HM
New York (Cayuga County), King Ferry — 247 — Northville
Former name for Hamlet of King Ferry in Town of Genoa. Named used as early as 1827 until ca. 1904 — Map (db m133157) HM
New York (Cayuga County), King Ferry — 248 — Site Of
Jabez Bradley home. Land purchased in 1794. Early commissioner and philanthropist for former Town of Milton. — Map (db m133158) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — Early Aqueduct
Early Aqueduct This towpath leads to the Richmond Aqueduct built 1849 second largest aqueduct carrying Erie Canal waters over the Seneca River. — Map (db m83562) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — Early Cemetery
Early Cemetery Old Montezuma Cemetery Revolutionary War veteran Richard Damewood buried here 1850. Served at seige of British at Yorktown. — Map (db m83546) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — Mentz Church
First Methodist Episcopal Church Inc. 1825 with John Gilmore, Wm. Bell & James Weston, Trustees. Adjoining cemetery in use by 1813. — Map (db m83525) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — Opened in 1828 — Cayuga Seneca Canal
Opened in 1828 Cayuga Seneca Canal Extended navigation of the Erie Canal to Finger Lakes Site of crossover bridge and Exchange Hotel — Map (db m83547) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — 356 — Prospect Hill
Peter Clarke buried in this cemetery 1858. Early settler prominent in salt industry, Erie Canal and Montezuma Turnpike. — Map (db m132725) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Owasco — One-Room School
Baptists Corners Owasco District No. One Built 1834 with local stone Served for 116 years Closed in 1950 — Map (db m117184) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Summerhill — 235 — Early Cemetery
Known as Summerhill Cemetery burials from 1806-1905 final resting place of soldiers who served in Revolutionary & Civil Wars — Map (db m133165) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Throop — Throop Industry
Throop Industry Settlers used Owasco River power to run sawmills & gristmills as early as 1798. This site was one of the three dams built in Throop. — Map (db m87937) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Union Springs — 284 — 1840 Church
Built by First Presbyterian Society on land donated by Howland family. Farrand Kitchel, builder. Home to museum 1994. — Map (db m128004) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Weedsport — Firehouse
Firehouse constructed 1884 of local brick to hold newly purchased 1878 Silsby steam powered pumper. Belfry bell is original. — Map (db m83763) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Brocton — Brocton Arch
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996 by the United States Department of the Interior.

Brocton Arch Erected 1913 With unprecedented growth of the village, the Village of Brocton and Town of Portland . . . — Map (db m96609) HM

New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — 311 — Sarah Sinfield
Sarah Sinfield Civil War nurse awarded pension for devoted service. Lived here with husband William, veteran & asst. lighthouse keeper 1874-1885. — Map (db m117513) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Harmony — 310 — Roll-O-Bowl
Roll-O-Bowl On this site 1956-1960 Sunday jalopy races held on quarter mile dirt track. Built by McNitt brothers on their grandmother's farm. — Map (db m105683) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), North Harmony — 314 — Ashville — Union Free School District No. 3
Ashville Union Free School District No. 3 on this site ca. 1885-2008 served towns of Harmony and N. Harmony until 1982. — Map (db m105682) HM
New York (Chemung County), Elmira — 442 — Pratt House
Abolitionist Jervis Langdon sold house to Daniel R. Pratt in 1862. Once thought destroyed, house was moved here from E. Union St. ca. 1876. — Map (db m127996) HM
New York (Chenango County), Afton — 378 — Cunahunta
Site of Iroquois town burned by the Continental Army under the command of Colonel William Butler October 9 & 10, 1778 — Map (db m132735) HM
New York (Chenango County), Afton — 259 — Mormon House Site
Joseph Smith, founder of Mormon Church, & Emma Hale were married here January 18, 1827 by Justice Zechariah Tarble — Map (db m93512) HM
New York (Chenango County), Beaver Meadow — 383 — Former Hotel
Beaver Meadow Hotel built ca. 1872. Provided a rest stop for overnight guests passing through this area until closing in 1916. — Map (db m132756) HM
New York (Chenango County), Coventryville — Coffin Man
Simon Jones' stone here was carved by J.W Stewart 1818. Local history suggests J.W. is now known as Coffin Man for carving many similar stones. — Map (db m93286) HM
New York (Chenango County), Otselic — 384 — Former Church
Constructed ca. 1862 as the Second Methodist Episcopal Church of Otselic. The church closed in 1993 and was sold in 1994. — Map (db m149155) HM
New York (Chenango County), Pitcher — First Congregational Church of Pitcher
First Congregational Church of Pitcher has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m146742) HM
New York (Chenango County), Pitcher — Pitcher Baptist Church
Pitcher Baptist Church has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m146738) HM
New York (Chenango County), South Otselic — 295 — B.F. Gladding
Begun in 1816 by rope maker John Gladding, the industry became known for the quality fishing lines it once manufactured here. — Map (db m133058) HM
New York (Chenango County), South Otselic — 382 — Union School
Built here in 1899. Served South Otselic and the surrounding area until replaced by the central school in 1936. — Map (db m132758) HM
New York (Clinton County), Beekmantown — The War of 1812
Culver Hill site of bloody skirmish between American forces and the invading British army Sept. 6, 1814 — Map (db m106392) HM
New York (Clinton County), Champlain — 355 — St. Mary's Academy
1906-2012. Daughter of the Charity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus sailed from France in 1905 to start the Academy. "Tout pour la gloire de Dieu" — Map (db m132721) HM
New York (Clinton County), Clintonville — 537 — Clintonville
Prominent for iron industry, one of region’s largest bloomery forges 1833-1890. Used ore from Arnold Hill, Palmer Hill and Winter Mine. William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2019 • 537Map (db m137824) HM
New York (Clinton County), Keeseville — 221 — Evergreen Cemetery
Est. 1849. Final resting place of veterans, members of U.S. Congress & citizens who were critical in Keeseville's history — Map (db m136668) HM
New York (Clinton County), Keeseville — 448 — Train Depot
Keeseville, Ausable Chasm, & Lake Champlain Railroad, a "peanut" line. Took mail, freight & passengers here to Port Kent from 1890-1924 — Map (db m132697) HM
New York (Clinton County), Morrisonville — 229 — Soper Cemetery
A.K.A. Ayer-Soper Cemetery. Burial site for Ayer, Hall, Robinson & Soper families. Headstones remaining show interments from 1832-1863. — Map (db m133083) HM
New York (Clinton County), Peru — 419 — Harkness Church
Dr. Georgia Harkness 1891-1974. Author, scholar, activist & clergy member. First female professor of theology at a U.S. seminary. — Map (db m132695) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — The War of 1812
Halsey's Corners. 250 American soldiers plus militia met 4,000 British troops in bloody battle here on Sept. 6, 1814. — Map (db m107390) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — War of 1812 Trail
Commemorates British and American Navy and troops who fought on land and lake Battle of Plattsburgh September 11, 1814 — Map (db m76384) HM
New York (Clinton County), Saranac — 225 — Hattie Lyon
Lifelong home 1843-1930. First woman to reach Lyon Mt. summit Aug 11, 1876. Mountain named for her grandfather Nathaniel Lyon. — Map (db m133080) HM
New York (Clinton County), Schuyler Falls — 230 — Schuyler Falls
Cemetery est. Nov. 21, 1876 resting place of many early area families - Eels, Keet, Mason, Merchant, Lobdell, Ladue, Turner, Weaver — Map (db m133082) HM
New York (Clinton County), Town of Plattsburgh — Catholic Summer School
Catholic Summer School of America 1896-1941 on this site. Resort and educational campus with cottages, chapel, dining hall, auditorium & post office. — Map (db m106622) HM
New York (Columbia County), Claverack — 275 — Shaw Bridge
Double span scientific design bowstring truss bridge constructed 1870. Design patented by Squire Whipple of Utica in 1841. — Map (db m133079) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 125 — Copake Iron Works
Designated National Heritage Area in2016. Part of the Hudson River Valley Heritage area recognized by U.S. Congress in 1996. — Map (db m135873) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 343 — Pomeroy Homes
Near this site 3 homes built ca. 1850 by Lemuel Pomeroy family. Founders of Copake Iron Works. Remaining home acquired by park in 1928. — Map (db m132778) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hillsdale — 446 — East Gate Tollhouse — Columbia Turnpike 1799-1907

Located on this site Linked Columbia County farming and industry to Hudson River ports — Map (db m118755) HM

New York (Columbia County), Hudson — 9 — Spook Rock — Legends & Lore
Beautiful Indian maiden and her lover from opposing nation rests beneath this rock. When church bell rings, rock turns over, lovers appear. — Map (db m129044) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — 345 — Burial Ground — 1816-ca 1861
Bequest by John Rogers provided this quarter acre exclusively for burials of persons of color. — Map (db m128003) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — 19 — Ichabod Crane — Legends & Lore
Washington Irving based the character Ichabod Crane in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow on Kinderhook school teacher Jesse Merwin. — Map (db m118567) HM
New York (Columbia County), Spencertown — 210 — Spencertown Historic District
Spencertown Historic District has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m145533) HM
New York (Cortland County), Cincinnatus — Bentley Family
aka Hawley burial ground Early burials in mid 1820s and final resting place of Revolutionary War soldiers Henry and Jacobus Bush — Map (db m146731) HM
New York (Cortland County), Cincinnatus — 241 — Early Sawmill
On this site 1814-ca. 1898 home of Heil Tanner included gristmill and cider mill. Property in family until 1995 — Map (db m133160) HM
New York (Cortland County), Homer — Barber Block

Site of Jedediah Barber's The Great Western Store Built: 1813 Burned: 1856 Rebuilt c. 1863 & became Keator Opera House in 1876 — Map (db m141517) HM

New York (Cortland County), Homer — 244 — Birthplace Of Andrew Dickson White
November 7, 1832. Cofounder & first President of Cornell University 1866-1885. — Map (db m133178) HM
New York (Cortland County), Homer — 289 — Birthplace of Dr. James Henry Salisbury
Dr. James Henry Salisbury 1823. Pioneer in germ theory research. Invented salisbury steak to combat illness in Civil War soldiers. — Map (db m128005) HM
New York (Cortland County), Homer — 208 — Glenwood Cemetery

has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m141463) HM

New York (Cortland County), Solon — Second Baptist Church
Site of Second Baptist Church Solon now Taylor Leased in 1843 to trustees: Smith Bennett Allen Cass & Amasa Holmes — Map (db m146733) HM
New York (Delaware County), Bovina — St James Church
Congregation est 1914. Chapel, rectory and parish house gifts of Angelica Gerry 1922. Cram and Ferguson, architects. — Map (db m133275) HM
New York (Delaware County), Bovina Center — 346 — Bovina Library
Built in 1893 as District Four School, operated until 1961. Became library in 1970. Library chartered by regents in 1917. — Map (db m132719) HM
New York (Delaware County), Bovina Center — Maynard School
Built 1849 Students Attended classes Here Until 1959. School District One Created in 1813. — Map (db m132785) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — 332 — Samuel A. Law — 1771-1845
Founded the town of Meredith in 1800. Built mansion on this site ca. 1801. Burned in 1884. — Map (db m132780) HM
New York (Delaware County), Sidney — 298 — Old Unadilla
Site of Iroqouis town burned by Continental Army under command of Colonel William Butler October 10 & 11, 1778 — Map (db m98167) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — 268 — Margaret Fuller

First woman reporter for New York Tribune wrote "Woman in the Ninteenth Century" at Van Vliet House Fishkill Landing, Fall 1844 — Map (db m124895) HM

New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — 263 — Site of Zion Pilgrim M.E. Church
Served Baxtertown community 1848-1930s. Evidence suggests station on Underground Railroad — Map (db m133069) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — 148 — New Guinea Community Site
New Guinea Community Site has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m146986) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — Reformed Dutch — Church of Hyde Park
Reformed Dutch Church of Hyde Park Established 1789 as the Stoutenburgh Religious Society. Oldest continuous Congregation in Hyde Park. William C. Pomeroy Foundation 2015 — Map (db m83232) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — 428 — Irondale School
One room schoolhouse ca. 1850-1930. Stood here until 2013 when moved to Village of Millerton for Visitors' Center. — Map (db m132682) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Poughkeepsie — 201 — Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge
has been placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1979 by The United States Department of the Interior
William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2019 • 201Map (db m136100) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Red Hook — Hendricks House
Built 1865 for Allen B. and Anna R. Hendricks in the octagonal & concrete form popularized by O.S. Fowler. Red Hook Library since 1935 — Map (db m128010) HM
New York (Erie County), Akron — 529 — Dennis E. Nolan
Dennis E. Nolan 1872 - 1956 West Point grad & Major General lived here as a child. WWI veteran who organized Military Intelligence Service — Map (db m128610) HM
New York (Erie County), Boston — West Boston
West Boston A German evangelical church was organized 1834 with 20 members. Rev. Jacob Bastian served for many years. All that remains ia a cemetery. — Map (db m93781) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Erastus Granger
Erastus Granger Seneca Indian Agent, judge, Post Master & Collector of the Port, lived here 1806-1826. He rallied Seneca to defend Buffalo during War of 1812. — Map (db m92785) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — 6 — Job's Last Stand — Legends & Lore
Near here, Job Hoisington gave his life when he held the enemy & allowed Hull's militia to escape Buffalo's burning. Dec. 30, 1813. — Map (db m129080) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Peter B. Porter
General, Congressman and later Sec. of War, lived here until his home was destroyed by the British at the burning of Buffalo 1813. — Map (db m74727) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — 528 — Samuel Helm
Samuel Helm A German-American settled near here in 1809 Killed during British raid in War of 1812. Namesake of Steuben Society Unit 144 — Map (db m131843) HM
New York (Erie County), Cheektowaga — Bennet Cemetery
Early Cheektowaga cemetery. Oldest stone dated 1819. Graves of Armitage, Bennet, Adams, Davis, Doat, Watts, Boothroy & other families. — Map (db m81467) HM
New York (Erie County), Eden — Clarksburg
Clarksburg Est. 1819. Named for early settler Simeon Clark, who built a sawmill & gristmill near here ca.1820. First school established ca. 1839. — Map (db m94050) HM
New York (Erie County), Eden — 522 — Eden Valley Mills
Since ca. 1817 saw and grist mills operated here. Lumber, baskets, shingles, feed & flour were produced. Water powered until 1929. — Map (db m132677) HM
New York (Erie County), Elma — Big Flats
Big Flats Site of Seneca Indian Village ca. 1780-1842 later known as Milford or Hurd or Briggs Mills and then Elma Village. — Map (db m104140) HM
New York (Erie County), Elma — 305 — Blossom
Religious Society known as Ebenezers named this hamlet Upper Ebenezer in 1844. Name was changed to Blossom ca. 1866. — Map (db m130633) HM
New York (Erie County), Elma — 288 — East Elma
East Elma ca. 1865. Had woolen mill, sawmill, blacksmith, grocery, Post Office & swimming hole. Later called Frog Pond. Originally home of Senecas. — Map (db m131847) HM
New York (Erie County), Elma — 510 — Elma Centre
Elma Centre prospered around R.R. depot est. near here ca. 1870. Coal & lumber dealers, blacksmith, saloon, Post Office & school built nearby. — Map (db m131846) HM
New York (Erie County), Elma — 260 — Spring Brook
Spring Brook By 1848 this hamlet was named for a brook whose waters crossed the Aurora Plank Rd now known as Seneca Street. — Map (db m96222) HM
New York (Erie County), Lancaster — Hull House
Hull House Federal Style stone house built ca. 1810 by Warren Hull Revolutionary War veteran and Holland land purchase settler. — Map (db m131840) HM
New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — Erie Canal Site
To avoid the strong current of the mighty Niagara River, the Erie Canal was built adjacent to the river from here to Buffalo in 1825. — Map (db m78352) HM
New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — First Railroad
The Buffalo & Niagara Falls Railway, the first western New York steam railway, cut through dense forest here in 1836. — Map (db m77795) HM
New York (Erie County), West Seneca — 27 — "Old Shep" — Legends and Lore
"Old Shep" Hermit of Leydecker Road William Sheppard CA. 1840-1933 Was thought to be an outlaw of Jesse James' Gang. Roamed town as a scissors grinder. — Map (db m111417) HM
New York (Erie County), West Seneca — Community of True Inspiration Residence
Community of True Inspiration Residence has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2013 by the United States Department of the Interior William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2013 — Map (db m71885) HM
New York (Erie County), West Seneca — St. Peter's UCC
St. Peter's UCC Completed in 1857 by a group of immigrants from Germany, services were held in German until 1929. Church moved from road in 1980. — Map (db m94052) HM
New York (Essex County), Keeseville — 561 — Mineral Spring
Water from this spring was used medicinally & later sold in molded bottles as Dietade, flat or sparkling, from 1914 to 1942. William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2019 • 561Map (db m137823) HM
New York (Essex County), Keeseville — 431 — Thomas F. Conway
1859-1945 teacher, lawyer, politician, philanthropist & advocate for farmers and education. NY Lt. Governor 1911-1912. Buried here. — Map (db m132696) HM
New York (Essex County), Lewis — 341 — Inez Milholland
Lived and buried near here. Astride a white horse, led 1913 Suffrage Parade in Washington DC. Died at age 30 campaigning for women's right to vote. — Map (db m136667) HM
New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Cedar Point House

Inn and restaurant serving iron ore industry workers, railway workers, travelers, and visiting officials early 1880s to ca. 1964 — Map (db m109058) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — 273 — Office Bldg
of Witherbee and Sherman Iron Ore Company, part of Franklin Patent 1765. Built ca. 1875 donated to Town of Moriah in 1959. — Map (db m133077) HM
New York (Essex County), Port Henry — 273 — Office Building of Witherbee and Sherman Iron Ore Company

Part of Franklin Patent 1765. Built ca. 1875 Donated to town of Moriah in 1959. — Map (db m109017) HM

New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — 344 — Grace Leach
Born near this site in 1906 she became the first woman to climb the Adirondack 46 high peaks, completing her climbs in 1937. — Map (db m126177) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnston — 372 — Suffrage Pioneer
Elizabeth Cady Stanton, 1815-1902. Her father practiced law here in early 19th C. inspiring her fight for women's rights — Map (db m136958) HM
New York (Fulton County), Northampton — 245 — Sweets Crossing
FJ&G RR Crossed Here At Levi & Zeruah Sweet Farm. The Sweet Family Provided Food to Stranded Passengers During Blizzard of March 1888 — Map (db m88054) HM
New York (Fulton County), Northville — 360 — 5 & 10 Cent Store
Founded 1907 as R.G. Dewitt & Co. General Store. Moved to Willard Building in 1914. Later merged with J.J. Newberry. — Map (db m104223) HM
New York (Genesee County), Alabama — Burial Ground — Circa 1820 - 1900
First known burial 1829. Final resting place of many early settlers of the Town of Alabama. — Map (db m77581) HM
New York (Genesee County), Alabama — This Waterway
This Waterway Old Orchard Creek designated a public highway May 8, 1837 in the towns of Alabama and Shelby by an act of the New York State legislature. — Map (db m134061) HM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — 300 — Birthplace of Emory Upton
Birthplace of Emory Upton 1839 - 1881. West Point graduate. U.S. Army General and Civil War veteran. Influential military author & stategist — Map (db m126158) HM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — Cary House Site
Cary House Site Location of mansion ca 1817 to 1964, a gift to his wife by Trumbull Cary, merchant, bank founder, NYS Senator, & first Batavia treasurer. — Map (db m83068) HM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — Early Cemetery
Early Cemetery in village of Batavia on this site deeded August 10, 1820. Bodies were re-interred to other cemeteries in Batavia — Map (db m94895) HM
New York (Genesee County), Bethany — Poor House
Site of Genesee County's poor house for the care of indigent people. Opened in 1827 with a home and a farm containing 106 acres — Map (db m75745) HM
New York (Genesee County), Elba — Local War Hero — Sunderland Pattison d.1843
Sunderland Pattison d.1843 Revolutionary War soldier Crossed the Delaware River December 1776 with General George Washington — Map (db m83121) WM
New York (Genesee County), LeRoy — Town of LeRoy
Established on June 8, 1812 as the town of Bellona Renamed Le Roy in 1813 First town meeting on this site April 6, 1813 — Map (db m57401) HM
New York (Genesee County), Stafford — East Boundary
East boundary Holland land purchase 3.3 million acres Transit line ran N.& S. from PA. to Lake Ontario Surveyed between 1798-1800 — Map (db m77687) HM
New York (Greene County), Cairo — 233 — County Farm
Erected 1883 to shelter Greene County's sick and destitute. Farm worked by residents. Closed 1962. Converted to County Office Bldg in 1963. — Map (db m133071) HM
New York (Greene County), Cairo — 348 — Town of Cairo
Created March 26, 1803 from Towns of Catskill, Coxsackie and Freehold. Originally named Canton. Became Cairo April 6,1808 — Map (db m129485) HM
New York (Greene County), Oak Hill — Oak Hill Cemetery
Oak Hill Cemetery has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2011 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m145171) HM
New York (Greene County), Oak Hill — 254 — Oak Hill Historic District
Oak Hill Historic District has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2017 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m145170) HM
New York (Jefferson County), Carthage — 296 — Hubbard Home
Noahdiah Hubbard, founder of Champion village, built this stone homestead in 1820. It passed to eldest son Hiram in 1831 — Map (db m133056) HM
New York (Jefferson County), Deferiet — 232 — World War II
157 men and women served in Armed Forces 1942-1945 from total population of 600 in this milltown. 10 made ultimate sacrifice. — Map (db m133177) HM WM
New York (Jefferson County), Redwood — 503 — Redwood Glass

Site of window glass factory est. 1833 by John S. Foster. Closed permanently ca. 1881. Hamlet of Jamesville was renamed for company ca. 1834. — Map (db m131055) HM

New York (Jefferson County), Sackets Harbor — Fort Kentucky
War of 1812 Fort Kentucky aka "Mud Fort" earthen redoubt constructed ca. 1814 on the northwestern flank of the American defense system — Map (db m75679) HM
New York (Jefferson County), Sackets Harbor — Fort Tompkins
War of 1812 Fort Tompkins on Navy Point Named for Governor Tompkins Garrisoned by U.S. Sailors and Marines. — Map (db m75676) HM
New York (Lewis County), Harrisville — 234 — Railroad Depot
Carthage & Adirondack RR completed line to Harrisville in 1886 shipping saw-logs. Lumber & iron ore. Passenger station built 1887 — Map (db m133162) HM
New York (Lewis County), Lowville — 292 — One Room School
District 4 Schoolhouse established Nov. 1831 by Common Schools Commission. Classes held here until 1958 building sold 1962 — Map (db m133046) HM
New York (Lewis County), Lowville — Stone Church
Built in 1831 after two previous buildings burned within three years. First Presbyterian Church, Lowville, NY — Map (db m80308) HM
New York (Livingston County), Dansville — 319 — Early Cemetery
Revolutionary War veteran Nathaniel Porter buried 1797. Some early residents still interred here after headstones removed in 19th c. — Map (db m133064) HM
New York (Livingston County), Dansville — 532 — One Room School
Ossian District 2 est. here ca. 1824. Closed ca. 1933. Gordon Wilson, trustee, ca. 1928-1932. Later chaired County Board of Supervisors. — Map (db m132678) HM
New York (Livingston County), Geneseo — 11 — Phantom Indian of Conesus Lake — Legends & Lore
Promoted by Colonel S. Tooey Appearing by moonlight in canoe calling for help Tales still shared today — Map (db m129046) HM
New York (Livingston County), Geneseo — 498 — Shaw Sisters
Home of Nicholas Shaw Fraser and Eleanor Shaw Smith ca. 1910-1948. Held offices in state and national women's suffrage organizations. — Map (db m142147) HM
New York (Livingston County), Nunda — "Nunda Valley"
"Nunda Valley" Early name of settlement. Square laid out by 1830. Original row buildings built before 1840. Village incorporated 1839 — Map (db m87665) HM
New York (Livingston County), Nunda — Lock 42
Lock 42 in use from 1851-1878 on the Genesee Valley Canal. Canal linked Erie Canal in Rochester with Allegheny River near Olean NY. — Map (db m87689) HM
New York (Livingston County), Nunda — 257 — Oakwood Cemetery
Oakwood Cemetery Designed 1865 by H.B. Allen in rural garden style. Old burial grounds annexed 1900. Resting place of many veterans, 2 U.S. Congressmen. — Map (db m87659) HM
New York (Livingston County), Ossian — The First
Presbyterian Church of Ossian formed September 29, 1818 by Rev Robert Hubbard. Elders James Haynes & Jacob Clendenin Building built prior to 1845. — Map (db m129017) HM
New York (Livingston County), Tuscarora — 607 — Poetry Pioneer — Jessie Belle Rittenhouse
Born 1869 on farm near here. Author, educator, reporter and critic. Co-founded Poetry Society of America. — Map (db m150429) HM
New York (Madison County), Brookfield — 324 — Locust Lodge
Built ca. 1795. Land bought 1793 by John J. Morgan. Summer home NY Gov. John Adams Dix. 6 generations of Camenga family resided here. — Map (db m133050) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — 293 — Bruce Opera House
Site Of Bruce Opera House 1888-1909 This Cultural Hub Seated 802 Patrons & Showed Movies Projected By The Biograph, A Canastota Invention — Map (db m109611) HM
New York (Madison County), Cazenovia — 488 — C&C Railroad
Cazenovia & Canastota RR began 1870, later Lehigh Valley RR. Carried freight & passengers. Abandoned 1967. Depot constructed 1894. — Map (db m144356) HM
New York (Madison County), Cazenovia — 14 — Crazy Luce — Legends & Lore
Lucy Dutton, Lived ca. 1795 near Cazenovia Lake. Jilted by man who wed her sister. Went mad and wandered Madison County for 30 years. — Map (db m143881) HM
New York (Madison County), Chittenango — Canal Industry
In this vicinity once stood a one bay drydock and store house in operation by 1824, at the convergence of the Chittenango and Erie Canals — Map (db m145721) HM
New York (Madison County), Chittenango — Lateral Canal
Company Incorporated 1818. Canal In Use By 1824. Site Of Turn-Around Basin For Canal Boat Transportation North To The Grand Old Erie — Map (db m109559) HM
New York (Madison County), Deruyter — Deruyter Dam
Built CA. 1861-1864 creating lake to supply water for Erie Canal. Reservoir feeds Limestone Creek. — Map (db m128021) HM
New York (Madison County), Morrisville — Madison Hall
Madison County seat moved to Morrisville in 1817. First court house erected on this site 1817, second in 1849 and third in 1866. — Map (db m145678) HM
New York (Madison County), Morrisville — 53 — The Loomis Gang — Legends & Lore
The Loomis Gang burned courthouse in 1864 to prevent their trial, but first cut fire hoses here. No culprit found. One of many tales involving gang. — Map (db m145681) HM
New York (Madison County), New Woodstock — Smith Tavern
Ca. 1805-1834 Jonathan Smith, a pioneer settler of New Woodstock built and kept a tavern on the early turnpike road. — Map (db m144374) HM
New York (Madison County), West Edmeston — 299 — Craine Brothers
Thomas made cheese boxes, egg crates, lumber at mill on this site. William invented "Triple Wall Silos" in 1901 and patented many home devices. — Map (db m133049) HM
New York (Madison County), West Edmeston — 21 — Gorton Turtle — Legends & Lore
As Tom Dorsey cleared land his wagon load of huge rocks couldn't be moved by horses. A giant turtle surfaced and dragged wagon into the lake. — Map (db m129043) HM
New York (Monroe County), Greece — 499 — Greenleaf Home
Site of summer residence of Jean Brooks Greenleaf. President of NY State Woman Suffrage Assoc. 1890-1896. Campaigned for right to vote. — Map (db m132674) HM
New York (Monroe County), Greece — Paddy Hill School
Paddy Hill School Formerly School No. 5 School District Est 1823. Property purchased for $50 on Oct. 1, 1839 for first school on this site. — Map (db m90141) HM
New York (Monroe County), Greece — 256 — World War II
World War II Odenbach Shipbuilding Corp. built on this site ca. 1942. produced barges & tankers for war effort launched via channel to Lake Ontario. — Map (db m113457) HM
New York (Monroe County), Honeoye Falls — 429 — Hickory Hill
Settled by Solomon Scipio, free black man, ca. 1808. Hallock bros. purchased property 1866. Passed to Keyes family, their descendants. — Map (db m132768) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — 505 — Douglass Home
Frederick and Anna Douglass lived in a home on this site with their 5 children, 1848-1851 Welcomed freedom seekers on the Underground Railroad — Map (db m128546) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — 506 — First RIT Campus
Rochester Athenaeum est. 1829 Mechanics Institute est. 1885 located here. Merged 1891 & renamed Rochester Institute of Technology in 1944. — Map (db m128545) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rush — 418 — Former School
Former School First District No. 10 school. Built 1845. Replaced in 1884. Burned 1916. Rebuilt 1917. Rush-Henrietta centralized in 1947. Building sold 1953. — Map (db m116947) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rush — 417 — Ruland Homestead
Home built ca, 1815 by Jeremiah Ruland, War of 1812 veteran. Owned by Ruland family over 100 years. Kozimor purchased in 1954. — Map (db m132764) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — 477 — Kirk Douglas
Film legend born Dec. 9, 1916 to immigrant parents living at 46 Eagle St. Rose from poverty to appear in over 90 films in Hollywood. — Map (db m138040) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Charleston — 12 — Amos Clayton — 1875-1942 — Legends & Lore —
AKA "Amy" or Island Hermit. Peddler Who Walked Great Distances, Danced For Pennies. Inspired Many Local Tales — Map (db m101679) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Plain — Diefendorf Hall
Woman's rights leaders Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton spoke here March 25, 1867 on universal suffrage. — Map (db m136735) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Plain — Fort Plain Free Library
Fort Plain Free Library Formed 1885 By Women's Library Association and Martha Bortle, Local Educator. Chartered 1894. — Map (db m95733) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Plain — 361 — Greene House
Home of Nelson B. Greene from 1885 to 1955. Managed Mohawk Valley Register. Artist, illustrator, authored local histories. — Map (db m132732) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Hagaman — Pawling Hall
Has Been Placed on The National Register of Historic Places in 2002 By the United States Department of the Interior William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2013Map (db m76606) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Johnsville — 484 — Yanney Mill
From ca. 1866-ca. 1907 fine and fancy wool goods were spun, carded, woven and finished in a four-story stone mill on the creek — Map (db m132664) HM
New York (Nassau County), East Farmingdale — 381 — Abigail E. Leonard
Former home of women's club founder, teacher, and community advocate. In 1917 organized local committee for women's suffrage — Map (db m132692) HM
New York (Nassau County), Freeport — 350 — 60 Acre Golf Club
Opened on this site in 1900. Women & men members. 9 hole course. Clubhouse built by Wm. G. Miller, Village Pres. Sold at auction in 1912 — Map (db m132772) HM
New York (Nassau County), Freeport — 212 — Archer St. School
Opened in 1910 to serve students in south Freeport. This was an architectural duplicate of the Seaman Avenue School. — Map (db m126906) HM
New York (Nassau County), Freeport — 326 — Bayview Hose #3
Organized May 1895 Hose house on Atlantic Ave Stephen Lewis early foreman 1916 new house built here on land donated by Randall Co — Map (db m126811) HM
New York (Nassau County), Freeport — 329 — Bennington Park
Developed by W. Newton Bennington in 1902. Streets given to village in 1904. Later became an African American & Italian enclave. — Map (db m127998) HM
New York (Nassau County), Freeport — 331 — Col. James Dean
1845-1918. Civil War veteran. President of Freeport & Freeport Club. Antique weapons collector. Former home on this site. — Map (db m126817) HM
New York (Nassau County), Freeport — 217 — Columbus Ave.
Built 1914. First school in Freeport with a gymnasium. John W. Dodd served as a principal here. Charles Hart was architect. — Map (db m133066) HM
New York (Nassau County), Freeport — 213 — Freeport Bank
Building erected in 1905 President was John J. Randall and Builder William G. Miller. Bank was organized in 1891. — Map (db m106257) HM
New York (Nassau County), Freeport — 214 — Kelby House
Home Of Robert H. Kelby ca. 1902, Librarian Of New York Historical Society from 1898 To 1920. Son Charles was NYS Judge — Map (db m126856) HM
New York (Nassau County), Freeport — 211 — Seaman Ave School
Opened 1908 to relieve overcrowding at Grove St. School. Attended by residents from northern section of village. — Map (db m133067) HM
New York (Nassau County), Freeport — 215 — Trubia Rifle
Trophy gun obtained from the US Navy. Department was unveiled on July 4, 1902 by the DBP Mott Post of the Grand Army of the Republic. — Map (db m133068) HM
New York (Nassau County), Freeport — 337 — Water and Power
Water Co. formed in 1894 Power house built in 1897 Both municipal utilities owned & operated by Village Voted on by Freeporters — Map (db m126752) HM
New York (Nassau County), Freeport — 216 — Woodcleft Canal
Dredged ca. 1897 by firm of Randall & Miller. John J. Randall was the father of Freeport & William G. Miller was a president. — Map (db m127041) HM
New York (Nassau County), Freeport — 330 — Woodcleft Inn
First summer hotel in Freeport on this site 1897. Built by Randall & Miller. Sold 1907 to Society of St. Vincent De Paul as fresh air home — Map (db m126821) HM
New York (Nassau County), Glen Cove — 392 — Suffragists
Helen Sherman Pratt and Florence Gibb Pratt, sisters-in-law who advocated for women's voting rights ca. 1917, lived near here. — Map (db m132686) HM
New York (Nassau County), Glen Cove — 447 — The Landing
Named for the steamboat wharf built here ca. 1829 by William Weeks serving the New York City to Glen Cove route until 1916. — Map (db m132679) HM

377 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 177
Paid Advertisement
May. 26, 2020