Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Daughters of the American Colonists Historical Markers

Markers erected by all chapters of Daughters of the American Colonists.
 
Big Spring image, Touch for more information
By Tim Carr, May 24, 2008
Big Spring
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — John Hunt
For whom Huntsville was named lived in a cabin near this spring about the year 1805. — Map (db m27847) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Riverton — Site of Bell Factory
Mile and one-half southeast on Flint River ---------> Earliest important textile mill in Alabama Incorporated by Patton Donegan Company in 1832 3,000 spindles and 100 looms operated by skilled slave labor. In production as late as 1885. Name . . . — Map (db m31722) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Dauphin Island — British Occupation of Dauphin IslandFebruary - April 1815
When British forces arrived at Mobile Bay to assault Fort Bowyer on Mobile Point, half of the British army under the command of Sir John Kean, who was recovering from wounds suffered during the defeat at New Orleans, was landed on Dauphin Island to . . . — Map (db m122427) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Dauphin Island — Fort Gaines
Established in 1821 for defense of Mobile Bay and named in honor of General Edmund Pendleton Gaines, 1777-1849 who played an important part in early Alabama History and while Commandant of Fort Stoddard captured Aaron Burr near McIntosh in February . . . — Map (db m39393) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — The Great Pensacola Trading Path
In the early 1800s, south Alabama was still inhabited by many groups of Native Americans: Creek, Chickasaw, and Choctaw among others. They traveled, hunted, traded, and made war on the many ancient trails here. European settlers improved these roads . . . — Map (db m95359) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), McCalla — Tannehill Furnace And Foundry(1829-1865)
2 ½ miles East - the beginning of Steel Industry in this area. Iron Ore, reduced by charcoal, hauled by oxcart, was made into plows, pots, cannon and munitions. State Park- Camping, Nature Trails, Swimming and Fishing Early American . . . — Map (db m36927) HM
Alabama (Wilcox County), Catherine — Postal Routes of 1820
Two miles north of this point was the intersection of two important postal routes of early Alabama, the Saint Stephens-Cahawba Road and the Tuskaloosa-Prairie Bluff Road. — Map (db m38495) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The Chief TrumpeterSculptor/Artist: Dan Bates
This statue was erected in February 1991 to honor the enlisted men who served in the Southwest during the Apache Wars in the 1870s and 1880s. It was cast in bronze by Desert Crucible, Inc., of Tucson. One and one-half times life-size, it stands . . . — Map (db m100695) HM WM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The Fort Lowell Flagstaff
The flagstaff has been the one constant feature of all military establishments since the creation of the U.S. Army in 1784.No matter what era or architectural style, the flagstaff has remained at the center of the parade ground and at the center of . . . — Map (db m100713) HM
Arkansas (Saline County), Bryant — The Geographical Center of Arkansas
The Geographical Center of Arkansas is a few steps north of this highway Erected by The Arkansas Society Daughters of American Colonists Arkansas Centennial 1936 — Map (db m96637)
California (Monterey County), Spreckels — Hill Town Ferry
Historic Monument 1867 – 1889 Marked by San Jose de Guadalupe Chapter Daughters of the American Colonists 1957 — Map (db m63627) HM
California (Nevada County), Penn Valley — Bridgeport Bridge"Wood’s Crossing"
Bridgeport Bridge, or “Wood’s Crossing”, is the longest single span covered bridge in existence. Used since 1862, built by David I. Wood. This plaque is dedicated to those pioneer Americans who came to California in search of a new life . . . — Map (db m8539) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Greenwich — Founders and Proprietors Monument1640 - 1935
In memory of the courageous men who founded the first settlement of the Town of Greenwich in the Connecticut Colony July 18-1640 Everardus Bogardus • John Bowers • Robert Feaks • Jeffre Ferris • Angell Husted • Robert Husted • . . . — Map (db m18669) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Woodbury — Ancient Trading Path
In past times the ancient paths in Connecticut were formed by large animals as they moved with the seasons and migrated to salt deposits. The Native Americans followed these same paths as they hunted these animals, traded with other tribes and also . . . — Map (db m112637) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Hollymount — St. Georges Chapel
Indian River Hundred Original Building - 1719 Present Building 1794 Remodeled 1893 This Marker presented by the Daughters of the American Colonists • 1962 — Map (db m38637) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), near Millsboro — Ancient Paths
In the ancient past Delaware was crossed by a network of Paths first forged by large animals and herds of buffalo migrating along the coast searching for food and salt deposits. The first settlers in this first state were The Nanticoke (Tidewater) . . . — Map (db m49012) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Petworth — St. Paul's Episcopal ChurchRock Creek Parish
This Plaque recognizes the designation of St. Paul's Episcopal Church (Rock Creek Parish) and its churchyard known as Rock Creek Cemetery, in the National Register of Historic Places. Founded originally as a preaching mission, with first . . . — Map (db m70947) HM
Florida (Martin County), Stuart — Gilbert's Bar House of Refuge
Only one remaining of nine on Florida east coast commissioned in 1875 for the U.S. Life-Saving Service. Keepers provided shelter, food, clothing, and transportation to survivors of shipwrecks and storms at sea. In U.S. Coast Guard Service through WW . . . — Map (db m112172) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Jupiter — Jupiter Lighthouse
Designed by George G. Meade, later Federal commander at Gettysburg. First lighted July 10, 1860. Dark during the War Between the States and its mechanism hidden by Southern sympathizers. Relighted June 28, 1866, it has not missed a night in over . . . — Map (db m96951) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Ormond Beach — The Three Chimneys
The Three Chimneys is the site of the oldest British sugar plantation, sugar mill and rum distillery in the United States. It was in operation from the late 1760's until the Revolutionary War.

The site was part of a 20,000-acre grant awarded to . . . — Map (db m93336) HM

Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Hardwicke
This site on the Great Ogeechee, 14 miles from the Atlantic, was selected in 1755 by Governor John Reynolds for the capital of Georgia. He named it for his kinsman, Lord High Chancellor of England, Phillip Yorke Hardwicke. Reynolds said: "Hardwicke . . . — Map (db m11225) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Dr. Lyman Hall
Dr. Lyman Hall was a Georgia signer of The Declaration Of Independence. He represented Saint John's Parish in the Continental Congress, and was a delegate from Georgia to the Second Continental Congress meeting in Philadelphia. He was a founder . . . — Map (db m8785) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — In Memory of Button Gwinnett and Dr. Lyman Hall
Members of the Midway Colony Signers of the Declaration of Independence and Governors of Georgia — Map (db m41706) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Midway Museum
Established by South Carolina Calvinists of English and Scottish extraction in 1752, the small settlement of Midway became `the cradle of the Revolutionary spirit in Georgia`. Two of Georgia`s three signers of the Declaration of Independence, Lyman . . . — Map (db m8941) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Nathan Brownson
Georgia Colonial governor, trustee of the proposed University of Georgia, physician, Nathan Brownson became governor of Georgia in 1781, serving until Jan. 1782. Prior to this time Brownson served as a member of the Provencial Congress which met in . . . — Map (db m8942) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Screven Fork — Old Post Road
This road on the right was established in 1736 by Gen. James Oglethorpe. First postal route south of Savannah Stage Coach Road and line of march of Revolutionary Soldiers. Saint John's Parish Chapter Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m9002) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Sunbury — The Sunbury Cemetery
( Left Text ) The plan of Sunbury consisted of three community-owned squares: King's Square, Meeting Square, and Church Square. You are standing in the area that was once Church Square. This 350 by 350-foot area held the church to the . . . — Map (db m9239) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Great Indian Trading Path
The colonial Great Indian Trading Path crossed land now a part of Augusta College and followed a part of the present McDowell Street. It was variously called Trading Road, Augusta Road, and the Creek Indian Path. Early platts show it on land owned . . . — Map (db m10008) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Great Indian Warrior / Trading Path(The Great Philadelphia Wagon Road)
The most heavily traveled road in Colonial America passed through here, linking areas from the Great Lakes to Augusta, GA. Laid on ancient animal and Native American Trading/Warrior Paths. Indian treaties among the governors of NY, PA, & VA and the . . . — Map (db m9906) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Winnetka — The Green Bay Trail
One branch of the Green Bay Trail traversed this region. Originally an Indian trail, after 1816 the route connected Fort Dearborn at Chicago with Fort Howard at Green Bay. Couriers faced hunger, cold and Indians to carry dispatches on a round trip . . . — Map (db m66618) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Addison — Army Trail Road
This road followed an Indian trail that began in Chicago and went through DuPage, Kane, De Kalb, Boone, and Winnebago Counties to a Winnebago Village at Beloit, Wisconsin. In August, 1832, during the Black Hawk War, United States Army reinforcements . . . — Map (db m47438) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Glen Ellyn — Stacy’s Tavern
Moses Stacy, soldier in the War of 1812, arrived here in 1835. This inn, built in 1846 and his second home, was a halfway stop between Chicago and the Fox River Valley and a probable stage stop for Rockford-Galena coaches. For many years the village . . . — Map (db m97573) HM
Indiana (Fayette County), Connersville — Canal House
1841 Built as Headquarters of the Whitewater Valley Canal Co. 1854 Savings Bank of Indiana Home of: Dr. S. W. Vance 1857-1936 Congressman and Mrs. Finly H. Gray 1936-1947 1947 - 1971 V. F. W. Post 571 . . . — Map (db m44760) HM
Indiana (Montgomery County), Crawfordsville — Federal Land Office
Public lands from the New Purchase of 1818 were sold from Ambrose Whitlock's cabin located on this site. Whitlock, who platted Crawfordsville in 1823, was receiver for the Federal Land Office until 1829. Williamson Dunn was register for the . . . — Map (db m13274) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — The First Toll Gate
This tablet marks the site of the first toll gate in the state of Indiana erected about 1850. — Map (db m288) HM
Kansas (Cherokee County), Baxter Springs — Black Dog TrailCommemorating
Opened in 1803 by Chief Black Dog (Manka-Chonka) and his band of Osage Indians who had a village nearby where springs once flowed freely. — Map (db m37839) HM
Kansas (Crawford County), Girard — Girard, KansasCentennial Birthdate February 28, 1868-1968
Dr. Charles H. Strong was a native of Girard, Pennsylvania. Dr. Strong's dream came true when he decided to go deer hunting and possibly locate the geographical center of Crawford County, which had just been established in Southeast Kansas . . . — Map (db m36928) HM
Kansas (Johnson County), Overland Park — The Pioneer SpiritIn Honor Of

Antioch Cemetery Est. 1871 This plaque dedicated May, 2001 to honor those whose services, past and present have preserved the beauty of this cemetery ———————— [Cemetery Chapel] . . . — Map (db m88150) HM

Kansas (Sedgwick County), Wichita — Confluence of the Big and Little Arkansas Rivers
This marker locates the original confluence of the Big and Little Arkansas Rivers. On August 15, 1865, near this point Jesse Chisholm met with the Plains Indian chiefs and headmen to agree on a treaty signing which occurred the following . . . — Map (db m60589) HM
Kansas (Shawnee County), Topeka — On This SiteLincoln College
Organized by the Congregational Church occupied a building erected in 1865. It was Topeka's first college and preparatory school with classes starting January 3, 1866. Renamed for Ichabod Washburn, the college moved to its present campus in . . . — Map (db m119037) HM
Kentucky (Nelson County), Cox's Creek — Cox's Station
The first settlement in Nelson County, KY. Three miles east of this spot stood Cox's Station, established in 1775 by Colonel Isaac Cox, a Colonial and Revolutionary War officer who came from Virginia to Kentucky and who was killed by the Indians in . . . — Map (db m74267) HM
Kentucky (Robertson County), Carlisle — Great Indian Warrior Trading Path
A western branch of this vital Colonial Road passed close to this area on the original Animal Trace formed by migrating animals seeking salt deposits. It is the northernmost portion of the Warriors Path in Kentucky. It connects the Shawnee in the . . . — Map (db m90638) HM
Louisiana (Natchitoches Parish), Robeline — El Camino Real de los Tejas(Royal Road of the Tejas Indians)
This early road connected the presidio, "Nuestra Senora del Pilar de los Adaes", to the royal authority in Mexico City. An elected representative from Los Adaes traveled 1300 miles to Mexico City where he collected the soldiers' salaries and . . . — Map (db m86807) HM
Louisiana (Natchitoches Parish), Robeline — The Presidio Nuestra Senora del Pilar de los Adais
Was founded in 1721 by the Spaniards on the crest of this hill as the Eastern outpost of the Spanish Empire in the West and for fifty years was the capital of the Province of Texas until its abandonment in 1773. Site donated and tablet erected . . . — Map (db m106134) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Madisonville — Madisonville Cemetery1800 to Present
Resting place of pre-Louisiana Purchase colonial settlers, veterans of the War of 1812 and the Civil War, and many men and women of great importance to local and national history. — Map (db m103702) HM
Louisiana (West Carroll Parish), Pioneer — Earthworks of Poverty Point
The Poverty Point earthworks, located 1.1 miles north, date to 1700-1100 B.C. Built by Native Americans who hunted, fished, and gathered wild foods. The 5 mounds, 6 ridges, and 43-acre plaza present a design unique in the world. A 6th mound . . . — Map (db m109222) HM
Maine (Cumberland County), Portland — The Site of Fort Loyal
Erected by the Colonists in 1680 Captured by the French and Indians in 1690. Entire English settlement destroyed ———— To the memory of these brave defenders this tablet placed by The Daughters of the . . . — Map (db m50448) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Fells Point
A colonial maritime community established 1726 by William Fell, shipbuilder of Lancashire, England. In this area were built more than six hundred ships from the colonial era through the Civil War. Birthplace of the U.S. Frigate . . . — Map (db m2517) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Lutherville-Timonium — Sater’s Church
1742. Pioneer of the Maryland Baptist denomination. Only eternity, interpeted by God, can make known the moral, mental and spiritual work of the “Mother Church” of the Baptists of Maryland. Founded by Henry Sater 1690–1754. . . . — Map (db m2278) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Great Indian Warrior/Trading Path
The most heavily traveled road in Colonial America passed through here, linking areas from the Great Lakes to Augusta, GA. Laid on ancient animal and Native American Trading/Warrior Paths. Indian treaties among the Governors of NY, PA, & VA and the . . . — Map (db m797) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), North Attleboro — Woodcock-Hatch-Maxcy House
Top PlaqueThis marker is given by Massachusetts Society Daughters of the American Colonists in recognition of The role this historic building played in the area's early growth presented: September 13 1969 Bottom Plaque . . . — Map (db m55680) HM
Michigan (Monroe County), Monroe — LaPlaisance Bay
LaPlaisance Bay - the pleasant bay - was named in 1679 by Robert De LaSalle. After the War of 1812, it became part of the United States. In 1820 Maj. John Whipple was appointed keeper of the LaPlaisance Bay lighthouse. April 19, 1825 Col. John . . . — Map (db m107143) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Champlin — Louis Hennepin
On July-1-1680 Louis Hennepin left this place to discover the St Anthony Falls ——— Marked by the Daughters of the American Colonists – 1929 – — Map (db m69738) HM
Missouri (Boone County), Columbia — Site of Columbia College
On this site stood Columbia College an institution of higher learning for men. First proposed in 1831, chartered by General Assembly in 1833, began its work in 1834. First session of University of Missouri held here in 1841. This college has been . . . — Map (db m59463) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 75 — Fort Omaha
A military post was first established here in 1868 and named Sherman Barracks after the famous Civil War general, William Tecumseh Sherman. The post's name was soon changed to Omaha Barracks and, in 1878, to Fort Omaha. In 1879, General George . . . — Map (db m33057) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Blair — 137 — Steamboat Bertrand
During the mid-nineteenth century, steamboats played a major role in the settlement and development of the nation. In March 1865 the fully laden sternwheeler Bertrand left St. Louis under command of Captain James Yore. The cargo of general . . . — Map (db m74161) HM
Nevada, Carson City — 77 — Dat-So-La-Lee
“Myriads of Stars shine over the graves of our ancestors.” Dat-So-La-Lee had seen some 96 winters, mostly in Carson Valley, when death came in 1925. She was the last of those Washoe weavers whose ancient art had been practiced by . . . — Map (db m20801) HM
Nevada, Carson City — 21 — V & T, 1869-1950
This building was headquarters for the fabled Virginia & Truckee Railroad. From Carson City rails extended in three directions: To Virginia City in 1870, to Reno in 1872, and to Minden in 1906. The line to Virginia City was abandoned in 1939; The . . . — Map (db m89559) HM
Nevada (Churchill County), Fallon — 202 — Fairview1905 - 1917 — 1-1/2 Miles South
Fairview was part of the renewed interest in mining. Triggered by the strikes in Tonopah and Goldfield. Discoveries in 1905 of a rich silver float led to a boom that lasted through 1906 and 1907. A substantial town that boasted 27 saloons, hotels, . . . — Map (db m67147) HM
Nevada (Churchill County), Fallon — 201 — WonderHistoric Mining Camp — 1906 - 1919
text from: Nevada State Historic Preservation Office Located 13 miles to the north is the camp of Wonder, a major mining center in the early years of the twentieth century. Thomas J. Stroud and several others made the first locations in . . . — Map (db m69651) HM
Nevada (Lyon County), Silver City — 223 — Devil’s Gate
It gives… “a forcible impression of the unhallowed character of the place” J. Ross Brown – 1860 This rugged reef of metamorphic rock was once one of the famous landmarks of the Nevada Territory. In June of 1850, John Orr and . . . — Map (db m21561) HM
Nevada (Lyon County), Silver Springs — 192 — Buckland's Station(On the California Emigrant Trail)
Samuel S. Buckland was a true pioneer. He settled here in 1859, began a ranching operation, established a station for the Overland Stage Company, and operated a tent hotel. He also constructed the first bridge across the Carson River downstream from . . . — Map (db m61066) HM
Nevada (Storey County), Virginia City — 211 — Old Geiger Grade'In Canyon Below'
Constructed by Davidson M. Geiger and John H. Tilton in 1862, this old toll road was the most direct connection between the Comstock Lode and Truckee Meadows until replace by the present paved highway in 1936. Concord stages, mud wagons . . . — Map (db m45486) HM
Nevada (Storey County), Virginia City — 23 — V & T, 1869 - 1950
The Virginia and Truckee RR was built to carry Comstock ore to the Carson River mills and to haul supplies back to the mines here. Service to Gold Hill began in December 1869 and to Virginia City in 1870. Once handling 30 to 45 trains a day, the . . . — Map (db m45645) HM
Nevada (Washoe County), Montrêux Golf and Country Club — 212 — Galena
Galena had a dual personality. It was developed in 1860 as a mining property by R. S. and Andrew Hatch. The Hatch brothers' quartz mill and smelter were among the earliest erected on this side of the Sierras. The gold float from the local mines . . . — Map (db m93942) HM
Nevada (Washoe County), Reno — 238 — Huffaker's
Before the arrival, 1858, of Granville W. Huffaker driving 500 head of cattle into the Truckee Meadows, the principal settlers were Mormon. The Comstock Lode and its mining needs focused attention on the valley. Huffaker established his ranch in . . . — Map (db m94304) HM
Nevada (Washoe County), Reno — 24 — Morrill Hall, 1887
First building on the Reno campus, Morrill Hall was named in honor of Senator Justin S. Morrill of Vermont. Author of the Morrill Land-Grant Act of 1862 which led to the establishment of the university. Founded in Elko in 1874, the campus was moved . . . — Map (db m113035) HM
Nevada (Washoe County), Reno — 198 — Steamboat Springs
These natural hot-springs are notable for their curative qualities. They were nationally acclaimed by President Ulysses S. Grant when he visited them in 1879. Early emigrants so named them, because of their puffing and blowing. Located in 1860 . . . — Map (db m94118) HM
Nevada (Washoe County), Verdi — 191 — Verdi
Modern Verdi came into being with the construction of the Central Pacific Railroad through Nevada in 1867-’69. It became a major mill town and terminal for shipment of ties and construction timbers with a network of logging railways reaching into . . . — Map (db m66021) HM
New Jersey (Essex County), Verona — Ancient Native American Trail
Lenni Lenape Indians (Original People) inhabited Verona in colonial times. Area settlers traded with and learned much from these Native Americans who granted land deeds in return for needed supplies. One such trail crossed Bloomfield Avenue nearby . . . — Map (db m46082) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Fort Stanton
Named for Captain Henry W. Stanton, Fort Stanton was established May 4, 1855 as a military fort to protect settlers from Apache attacks. Operated as a military fortification until 1896, it played a part in the Civil War, was the first Tuberculosis . . . — Map (db m119454) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Pecos — Kosloski's Historic Stagecoach Stop and Trading Post
Built in 1810 — Map (db m65857) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Great Indian Warrior Trading Path
The most heavily traveled road in Colonial America passed through here, linking areas from the Great Lakes to Augusta, Ga. Laid on ancient animal and Native American Trading/Warrior Paths. Indian treaties among the Governors of NY, PA, & VA and the . . . — Map (db m44473) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — The First Oblong Friends Meeting House
The First Oblong Friends Meeting House was erected on this site in 1742. It was used as a place of worship until 1764. West of the site was the Friends burial ground. During the fall and winter of 1778 the present meeting house was a hospital . . . — Map (db m25028) HM
New York (Niagara County), Youngstown — La Belle Famille
On the Battlefield of La Belle Famille Father Claude Joseph Virot S. J. Chaplain of the French forces was killed by the Iroquois July 24, 1759. — Map (db m67345) HM WM
New York (Rockland County), New City — Jacob Blauvelt House1834
Built on lands belonging to the Blauvelt Family from 1741 to 1970 when it was acquired by the Historical Society of Rockland County Presented by Daniel De Clerque Chapter Daughters of the American Colonists — Map (db m21380) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Graham — 1763 ProvidenceCenter of History
This site and "meeting house" was the area birthplace of a new country in pre-revolutionary meetings, a new county (Alamance), a new county seat (Graham), an early public library, a courthouse, a school to college presidents and a governor, and a . . . — Map (db m64237) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — 1753 Great Philadelphia Wagon Road
The most heavily traveled in Colonial America passed near here, linking areas from The Great Lakes to Augusta, GA. Laid out on animal and Native American Trading & Warrior Paths. Indian treaties aming NY, PA, VA and the Iroquois League of Five . . . — Map (db m52540) HM
North Carolina (Guilford County), High Point — Oldest Building in High Point
. . . — Map (db m34928) HM
North Carolina (Haywood County), Maggie Valley — Bishop Francis Asbury — 1745 - 1816
. . . — Map (db m17350) HM
North Carolina (Polk County), Tryon — Tryon Peak
on its summit in July, 1767 a Treaty was made between English Officers and Cherokee Chiefs. Establishing there the extreme western frontier for White settlers. The Mountain was named for Willian Tryon then Royal Governor of the . . . — Map (db m11233) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Rocky River — Site of Colonel John Bradstreet's DisasterOctober 19, 1764
The Treaty of Paris, 1763, did not prevent Indians, led by Pontiac, from destroying forts along Lake Erie, such as Sandusky and Presque Isle. The English sent Colonel John Bradstreet to Detroit to "Awe" Pontiac. He led the largest force ever to . . . — Map (db m78467) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Terrace Park — Covalt Station
Consisting of blockhouse and palisade Was built near this site by Captain Abram Covalt 1789 In honor of Blanche Bacon Meyers Organizing Regent — Map (db m57440) HM
Ohio (Madison County), Plain City — Old Indian TrailPost Road, St Rt 161
Old Indian Trail blazed by Chief Tecumseh later used by Pony Express and became Post Road this ground was cleared in 1809 by well known pioneer Richard Taylor — Map (db m77600) HM
Ohio (Pickaway County), Tarlton — Zane's Trace
. . . — Map (db m13496) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Bainbridge — Home of General Nathaniel MassieBuilt 1800, One Fourth Mile South
Nathaniel Massie, born Goochland County, Virginia, December 28, 1763, 1800 married Sarah Everard Mead, died November 13, 1813. Revolutionary soldier; surveyor of wilderness then known as Northwest Territory and locator of Revolutionary War land . . . — Map (db m58110) HM
Oklahoma (Craig County), Vinita — Worcester AcademyA Congregational Mission School
Established at Vinita Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory by the Rev. J. W. Scroggs, D.D. Dedicated Jan. 14, 1883 Named in honor of the Rev. Samuel A. Worcester, D.D. Missionary among the Cherokees — Map (db m55648) HM
Oklahoma (Tulsa County), Tulsa — Tulsa's First Post Office
522 feet north of this point on March 25, 1879 was established Tulsa's first post office. Known at that time as "Tulsey Town" Creek Nation, Indian Territory, Josiah C. Perryman Post-Master. — Map (db m101675) HM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Porter — 85 — Tullahassee Mission
This Creek Indian school was founded by Rev. R.M. Loughridge, Presbyterian Bd. [Board] Foreign Miss. [Missions], 1848. Rev. W.S. Robertson was employed as the supt. Rebuilt by Creeks when destroyed by fire in 1880. Operated until 1907 for . . . — Map (db m73128) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Lost River Gap and Ford
Used by Indians; by Hudson's Bay trappers; by covered wagons; by Fremont 1846; by railroad survey party 1855; by soldiers at Fort Klamath. Site of the Modoc Indian conference in hope of averting war with that tribe; of the first water wheel; of the . . . — Map (db m100223) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Merganser
Pioneer village founded in 1870. A rival town of Linkville and the first platted in Klamath County. Named after the merganser ducks on Klamath River. A bridge-crossing made it an important trade route. The town served as a settler defense rendezvous . . . — Map (db m116786) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Pioneer Furtrader
Martin R. Frain born December 17, 1832 in New York, came west in 1850, arrived in Oregon Territory April 30, 1857 crossed Link river and camped under a ledge nearby. Established the first Trading Post at the present area of Payne Alley and Main . . . — Map (db m100207) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — This Marks the Road to Topsy Grade
In 1846, first crossed the Applegate Trail. The Southern Wagon Road and Topsy Road made original junction. An Indian Trail, at first; then the Soldiers traversed these roads and in 1863, the Pony Express Trail was used to carry messages from Fort . . . — Map (db m100225) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Malin — Lindsey Applegate
Honorable Lindsay Applegate, son of a Revolutionary soldier with Colonial ancestry, born in Kentucky, September 18, 1808. Explorer, soldier, Trailblazer. Came to the Oregon country 1843. An Oregon Patriot, served in provisional, territorial and . . . — Map (db m112625) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Elizabeth — George Adam Weddell(1712-1796)
This pioneer settler of Rostraver Township, Westmoreland County, arrived in Philadelphia from Rotterdam aboard the ship Mortonhouse in 1729. He and his wife Mary lived for a time near Hagerstown, Maryland and after the Braddock and Forbes . . . — Map (db m63078) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKeesport — David McKee1710-1795
From whom McKeesport derives its name, first permanent white settler at the forks of the Monongahela and Youghiogheny Rivers in 1755. The Colonial Government granted to him exclusive right of ferrage over these rivers April 3, 1769, called . . . — Map (db m29962) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Waterford — Site of Fort Le Boeuf
Built by the French in 1752 Under British flag 1759 - 1763Map (db m32010) HM
Pennsylvania (Fayette County), Connellsville — Braddock's Twelfth Camp
British Major General Edward Braddock camped here at Stewart's Crossing on the banks of the Youghiogheny River, June 28-30, 1755. His goal was to reach Fort Duquesne (Pittsburgh) and drive the French from the area. He was accompanied by colonial . . . — Map (db m76134) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — William Henry Drayton1742   -   1779
Clarion call of the American Revolution in South Carolina. His eloquence awakened the sons of his native state to their danger and brought them to arms, from the mountains to the sea. President of Provincial Congress in 1775, Chief Justice of S.C. . . . — Map (db m106453) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Donora — Rabe Manor
Jacob Rabe came from Maryland in 1770 to Western Pennsylvania while this area was claimed by Virginia. In 1774 he received a Virginia Certificate for 412 acres. Boundary dispute between Virginia and Pennsylvania was settled in 1781, with the . . . — Map (db m69762) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-6 — St. Philip's Church
Here in the churchyard of St. Philip's are buried Charles Pinckney (1757-1824) Signer of the United States Constitution and author of the famous "Pinckney Draught" Governor of South Carolina U.S. Senator & Congressman . . . — Map (db m27541) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — Great Indian Warrior Trading Path(The Great Philadelphia Wagon Road)
The most heavily traveled road in Colonial America passed through here, linking areas from the Great Lakes to Augusta, GA. Laid on ancient animal and Native American Trading/ Warrior Paths. Indian treaties among the Governors of NY, PA, & VA and the . . . — Map (db m13719) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-19 — Wilson Crossroads / Dr. Peter A. Wilson
Wilson Crossroads At this point the Camden-Mars Bluff road intersected the road to Darlington on property granted to the Reverend John Wilson (1790-1869) by the state of South Carolina in 1837. Wilson, a North Carolinian, settled here, and . . . — Map (db m117881) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Oates — 16-20 — William Andrew Dowling
Born in Darlington County in 1859, William Dowling was a descendant of Robert Dowling, who had settled in S.C. in the Parish of St. David by 1773. William served as a member of the South Carolina House of Representatives, 1899-1900, and was . . . — Map (db m38168) HM
South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — 18-4 — Middleton Place / Arthur Middleton
(Front text) Middleton Place These famous gardens were laid out about 1741 by Henry Middleton (1717-84), President of Continental Congress. His son Arthur, Signer of the Declaration Of Independence, lived here as did his son Henry . . . — Map (db m16281) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-25 — Birthplace of Jeremiah John Snow / China Grove Plantation
Birthplace of Jeremiah John Snow. China Grove was the birthplace of the Reverend Jeremiah John Snow (1836–1892), a son of the third James Snow who lived here. He entered the Methodist Conference in 1863, and was a chaplain in the Third . . . — Map (db m16513) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Bishopville — 31-12 — James Jenkins1764 - 1847
[Front]: The Reverend James Jenkins served in the Methodist ministry for 55 years. He was born in Bitton's Neck, the son of Samuel and Elizabeth Britton Jenkins. His mother was a revolutionary War heroine. In 1805 he married Elizabeth . . . — Map (db m27704) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Cayce — 32-1 — Congaree Fort
In 1718, at a site 2.7 miles east, near the place where the Cherokee Path crossed Congaree Creek, the first frontier outpost in central South Carolina was established under the command of Captain Charles Russell. The fort was abandoned in 1722, but . . . — Map (db m21711) HM
South Carolina (Marion County), Britton's Neck — 34-3 — Britton's Neck/Britton's Ferry
(Front) One of the oldest settlements in Marion County, Britton's Neck lay between Great and Little Pee Dee Rivers extending northward from the mouth of Little Pee Dee. It was named for Francis, Timothy, Daniel, Moses, Joseph, and Philip . . . — Map (db m45857) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Salem — 37-3 — The Cherokee Path
[Front Side]: The main trading path to the Cherokee Nation paralleled the route of Highway 11 for several miles at this point. This section of the path was used by travelers going from Keowee, the main Lower Town of the Cherokees, across . . . — Map (db m14383) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Six Mile — 39-17 — Fort Prince George
(side 1) Fort Prince George, covered by Lake Keowee since 1968, was built nearby in 1753, near the unofficial boundary between Cherokee lands and white settlements. Across the Keowee River from the Cherokee Lower Town of Keowee, it was . . . — Map (db m78989) HM
South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — Captain Roger Gordon
In 1732 Roger Gordon led 40 Scotch Irish to found Williamsburg Township, (Kingstree), one of 11 inland sites granted by the Provincial Governor in King George’s plan to develop a successful English colony in South Carolina. In 1738 the town acquired . . . — Map (db m54667) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Goodlettsville — 72 — Mansker’s First Fort
Here on west bank of the creek that he discovered in 1772, Kasper Mansker and other first settlers built a log fort in 1779. John Donelson’s family fled here in 1780 for safety from Indians. Mansker abandoned the fort in 1781 and moved to Fort . . . — Map (db m2586) HM
Tennessee (Washington County), Jonesborough — Jacob Brown1736-1785
Colonial and Revolutionary Service A native of South Carolina; Founder of Brown’s Settlement on Nolachucky River, 1771; Merchant, Gunsmith and Blacksmith to the Cherokee Indians; purchased from those Indians two boundaries of land-a . . . — Map (db m83139) HM WM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Sugar Land — Sugar Land Refinery
The center of the sugar industry from Texas colonial days and the site of the first sugar refinery in Texas located by S. M. Williams on land granted to him by the Mexican government. — Map (db m27764) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — The Texas Navy
1836 - 1845 In commemoration of The Texas Navy that played heroic part in the struggle of the Texas Republic and made headquarters at the port of Galveston Erected by the Texas Society Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m90704) WM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 8 — PresidioOldest Town in America
At confluence of Concho and Rio Grande Rivers. A settlement for over 10,000 years Site of first recorded wagon train crossing into Texas December 10, 1582 Headed by Antonio de Espejo — Map (db m60844) HM
Texas (Sabine County), Toledo Bend — Site of Historic Crossing on the Sabine River1607 1776
Site of Historic Crossing on the Sabine River Erected by Sabine River Chapter Texas Society of the National Society Daughters of the American Colonists Mrs. Roy E. Massengill, Chapter Regent Mrs. Walter M. . . . — Map (db m30763) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Benjamin Harrison
In this graveyard is buried Col. Benjamin Harrison, V December 13, 1730 April 24, 1791 Singer of the Declaration of Independence Member of Virginia House of Burgesses Continental Congress Federal Constitutional Convention . . . — Map (db m87114) HM
Virginia (Virginia Beach), Fort Story — Cape Henry Memorial — Colonial National Historical Park
Here at Cape Henry first landed in America, upon 26 April 1607, those English colonists who, upon 13 May 1607, established at Jamestown, Virginia, the first permanent English colony in America. Erected by the National Society, Daughters of the . . . — Map (db m23198) HM
Washington (Snohomish County), Mukilteo — Landing Site of Capt. George Vancouver
On May 30, 1792 Captain Vancouver and his party anchored off this point and came ashore the following morning. Commissioned by the British to survey the N.W. Coast of America, they named this area Rose Point for the many wild roses that grew here. — Map (db m83866) HM
Washington (Thurston County), Olympia — Washington Women Win the Vote
Here, in February 1909, both Houses of the Washington Legislature authorized a vote by the State’s qualified voters to amend the Washington State Constitution to enable women to vote in all elections. Male voters of Washington approved the amendment . . . — Map (db m83709) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Allouez — 239 — Heritage Hill State Park
This park, built to portray and preserve Wisconsin's beginnings, is located on a site that is itself a part of history. On this 40-acre site stood Camp Smith--a temporary location of Fort Howard--part of the pioneer settlement known as Shantytown, . . . — Map (db m10544) HM
Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 156 — Hazelwood
On this site Morgan L. Martin (1805-87) built this home in 1837, after his marriage to Elizabeth Smith of Plattsburgh, N.Y. It was a center of social, literary and political accomplishment for nearly a century. Coming here in 1827 as a young . . . — Map (db m37202) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — Ancient Paths
In our ancient past, Wisconsin was crossed by a system of trails first forged by deer and elk as they migrated in search of good weather, food and salt. Native Americans used the Paths as they hunted, traded, and made war in troubled times. Some . . . — Map (db m66620) HM

125 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement