Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Tennessee Historical Commission Historical Markers

One of the most visible and longstanding programs of the THC is the Historical Markers Program. This program, which began in the late 1940s, has erected nearly 2,000 markers commemorating sites, persons, and events significant in Tennessee history. ... The markers program is an effective means of introducing highway travelers to Tennessee history.1005 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 805
 
"The Coal Creek War" Marker image, Touch for more information
By Tom Bosse, March 4, 2017
"The Coal Creek War" Marker
Tennessee (Anderson County), Briceville — 1D 32 — "The Coal Creek War"1891-92
Coal Creek valley was the scene of an armed rebellion against the state by free miners seeking an end to the common practice of leasing convicts to coal companies. On Oct. 31, 1891 the convict laborers at Briceville were freed by armed miners. The . . . — Map (db m102292) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Clinton — 1D 41 — Clinton High School
Following a court order by Federal District Judge Robert L. Taylor, on August 27, 1956, 12 black students, now known as "The Clinton 12", enrolled in Clinton High School without incident, making it one of the first desegregated public high schools . . . — Map (db m121331) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Clinton — 1D 20 — The Market Place of Pearls
From about 1895 to 1936 Tennessee was one of the nation's six leading states in marketing pearls. Clinton was listed as one of three Tennessee towns known as centers of the pearling industry. New York dealers came regularly to Clinton during the . . . — Map (db m112098) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Oak Ridge — 1D 28 — Castle on the Hill
The Administration Building for the Clinton Engineering Works opened March 15, 1943. Dubbed "The Castle", it became headquarters for the Manhattan Engineering District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, from which all Manhattan Project construction was . . . — Map (db m112099) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Oak Ridge — 1D 24 — Elza GateThe Elza Gate
From April 1, 1943, until March 19, 1949, this was the site of Elza Gate. Elza Gate was the primary entrance to the secret community of Oak Ridge and along with six other entry points, it was manned by armed guards. Elza Gate took its name from a . . . — Map (db m88625) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Oak Ridge — 1D 23 — Oak Ridge
In 1943, Oak Ridge was created as the residential center for the Clinton Engineering Works. Located on the northeast corner of a 59,000-acre reservation acquired by the government in 1942, the community was designed by Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill, . . . — Map (db m81358) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Oak Ridge — 1D 33 — The Chapel-on-the-Hill
Built in 1943 near the main business district (Jackson Square), this standard Army chapel was soon known with the Manhattan Project as "The Chapel-on-the-Hill". On 30 September 1943 it was dedicated for Jewish, Catholic, and Protestant worship. The . . . — Map (db m112102) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Oak Ridge — 1D 34 — The Emery Road
On a route that was first authorized to be "cut and cleared" in 1787, the Rock Pillar Bridge 60 yards to the north-northeast was built in the early 1900's. This road became known as the Emery Road and was one of the earliest routes used in the . . . — Map (db m89677) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Oak Ridge — 1D 25 — The Guest House
The Guest House provided accommodations for visitors to the Clinton Engineering Works (Oak Ridge) during the time of the Manhattan Project, which led to the development of the atomic bomb. The Guest House hosted such dignitaries as physicists J. . . . — Map (db m114613) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Oak Ridge — 1D 27 — The Robertsville Community
The Robertsville Community was settled in 1804 by Collins Roberts, who had received a 4,000-acre land grant in this region. Robertsville was one of four communities in the area that predated Oak Ridge. The community was dispersed in 1942 when the . . . — Map (db m95701) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Oak Ridge — 1D 29 — The Scarboro Community
The Scarboro Community was founded by three brothers in the early 1790s. Jonathan, David and James Scarborough traveled from Virginia and settled here. Scarboro was one of four area communities that predated Oak Ridge. The community remained largely . . . — Map (db m32575) HM
Tennessee (Bedford County), Bell Buckle — 3G 27 — The Webb School
Founded 1870, at Culleoka, by William R. ("Sawney") Webb, whose brother John M. ("Old Jack") Webb joined him in 1874. It moved here in 1886. Its curriculum, embracing chiefly Latin, Greek and Mathematics, was designed to give a sound preparatory . . . — Map (db m24169) HM
Tennessee (Bedford County), Shelbyville — 3G 16 — Andrews' Raiders
On this knoll, members of the Federal party which attempted to destroy the Western & Atlantic R.R. in 1862, assembled before starting their foray. It started with seizure of the engine "General" and ended with recapture of the engine at the Georgia . . . — Map (db m80317) HM
Tennessee (Bedford County), Shelbyville — 3G 6 — Army of the CumberlandJune 27, 1863
The Reserve Corps (Granger) moved south along this road, screened by the Army's Cavalry (D.S. Stanley). Taking Guy's Gap, against minor resistance, they pushed rapidly into Shelbyville, evacuated the same morning by the Corps of Maj. Gen. Leonidas . . . — Map (db m26075) HM
Tennessee (Bedford County), Shelbyville — 3G 23 — Church of the Redeemer
This was Lot 44 of the original town plan. A log church was built here in 1815. The Presbyterians used it, and built the present church in 1817. In 1856, a Catholic congregation bought the building, selling to the Northern Methodists in 1894. These . . . — Map (db m25049) HM
Tennessee (Bedford County), Shelbyville — 3G 29 — Clement Cannon, Sr.
Born in NC, 1783; veteran of the War of 1812; early Bedford County manufacturer; Whig political leader. In 1810 Cannon provided 100 acres of land for the site of the "Town of Shelbyville" and in 1817 donated 5 acres to Dickson Academy and a lot to a . . . — Map (db m26807) HM
Tennessee (Bedford County), Shelbyville — 3G 22 — Confederate Cemetery
In the cemetery north of the road are buried Confederate soldiers of the Army of Tennessee, who fell while opposing the advance of Rosecrans' Army of the Cumberland through Liberty Gap and Guy's Gap, in late June, 1863. Also buried here are soldiers . . . — Map (db m25864) HM
Tennessee (Bedford County), Shelbyville — 3G 28 — Henry Brevard DavidsonJan. 28, 1831 - March 4, 1899
Born in a house which stood here. Enlisted in the 1st Tenn. Volunteers for the Mexican War; on graduation from US Military Academy in 1853, commissioned in Dragoons. Resigning for the Confederacy and rapidly promoted to colonel, he was captured at . . . — Map (db m85444) HM
Tennessee (Bedford County), Shelbyville — 3G 31 — Prentice Cooper1895-1969
Governor of Tennessee for three successive terms 1939-1945. A native of Bedford County and graduate of Webb School, Princeton and Harvard Law School, he was Attorney General of the 8th Judicial Circuit, a member of the 63rd and 70th General . . . — Map (db m25868) HM
Tennessee (Bedford County), Shelbyville — 3G 37 — Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration
This 90-acre tract is home of the Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration - "The World's Largest Walking Horse Show". On July 17, 1939, a non-profit association was chartered to conduct a national celebration to honor and exhibit the Tennessee . . . — Map (db m25869) HM
Tennessee (Bedford County), Tullahoma — 2E 24 — Moore County / Bedford County
Moore County Established 1871; named in honor of Major Gen. William Moore He settled in Tennessee in 1808, coming from Kentucky. Commanded a company in the Creek War; finished the War of 1812 as a Major General. Member of the State House . . . — Map (db m61915) HM
Tennessee (Bedford County), Wartrace — 3G 42 — Beechwood Plantation
The Beechwood Plantation house, which formerly stood at this site, was an important Confederate headquarters during the Tullahoma Campaign. It was built for Col. Andrew Erwin, Jr. and family in 1826. The Erwins, who were southern sympathizers, . . . — Map (db m25862) HM
Tennessee (Bedford County), Wartrace — 3G 34 — Strolling Jim
Strolling Jim, the first World's Champion Tennessee Walking Horse, is buried in a pasture directly behind the Walking Horse Hotel. Foaled in 1936, this former work horse was ridden to the championship by Floyd Carothers at the first Walking Horse . . . — Map (db m24165) HM
Tennessee (Bedford County), Wartrace — 3G 44 — Wartrace
In 1850, Rice Coffey gave eight acres to the Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad on which the main line would run with a depot and freight house at the junction of the branch line to Shelbyville. In 1851, town lots were laid off. The following year, . . . — Map (db m88407) HM
Tennessee (Benton County), Camden — 4A 30 — "Tranquility"
An early post office of this name was opened Sept. 28, 1835, in the home of William H.H. Burton, which stood at this site. It remained here until Aug. 27, 1837, when it was moved to the public square of Camden and the name changed to "Camden." . . . — Map (db m109047) HM
Tennessee (Benton County), Camden — 4A 19 — Gunboats and CavalryNov. 4, 1864
8½ miles east, at Johnsonville Landing, Forrest's Cavalry Corps, after blocking river approaches from both directions with captured Federal vessels and gunfire, destroyed the Federal base at Johnsonville. Losses were 4 gunboats, 14 steamboats, . . . — Map (db m109046) HM
Tennessee (Benton County), Camden — 4A 50 — Mary Cordelia Beasley-Hudson
Mary Cordelia Beasley-Hudson, a life-long resident of Benton County, was an advocate for women's suffrage. The Tennessee General Assembly approved an amendment to the state constitution to allow women's suffrage on April 15, 1919. Seven days later . . . — Map (db m81359) HM
Tennessee (Benton County), Camden — 4A 55 — Senator Mildred Jolly Lashlee1906-1966
Mildred Jolly Lashlee was the first woman elected to the Tennessee Senate for a full “regular” term. Elected in November 1944, she represented the 26th Senatorial District. Before her election she was appointed to complete the term of . . . — Map (db m109048) HM
Tennessee (Benton County), Camden — 4A 21 — Thomas Clark Rye
Born June 2, 1863, in a log cabin, about 1/2 mile N., he studied law at Charlotte, later began practice at Camden. Attorney General of the 13th Judicial District, 1908-12, he was the last Tennessee governor to be elected by a convention. Inaugurated . . . — Map (db m74481) HM
Tennessee (Bledsoe County), Pikeville — 2B 24 — Bragg Invades Kentucky
On Aug. 29, 1862, the Army of Mississippi was enroute to Kentucky: Army Headquarters was near Dunlap; Col. Joseph Wheeler's Cavalry Brigade was moving against Maj. Gen. A McD. McCook's Federal Division at Altamont. Advance elements of Maj. Gen . . . — Map (db m81360) HM
Tennessee (Bledsoe County), Pikeville — 2B 17 — Gov. James B. Frazier
Born in a house 160 ft. west, Oct. 18 1856. Elected Governor of Tennessee in 1902, he was reelected in 1904. He resigned in 1905, having been elected to the Senate, vice William B. Bate, deceased, and served there until 1911. Defeated for . . . — Map (db m109180) HM
Tennessee (Bledsoe County), Pikeville — 2B 17 — James Beriah Frazier
Born in a house 160 ft. west, Oct. 18 1856. Elected Governor of Tennessee in 1902, he was reelected in 1904. He resigned in 1905, having been elected to the Senate, vice William B. Bate, deceased, and served there until 1911. Defeated for . . . — Map (db m109179) HM
Tennessee (Bledsoe County), Pikeville — 2B8 — Rhea County / Bledsoe County
(obverse) Rhea County Established 1807; named in honor of John Rhea Revolutionary veteran, who fought at King's Mountain. Delegate to the North Carolina Convention which ratified the U.S. Constitution; member of the Tennessee . . . — Map (db m63645) HM
Tennessee (Bledsoe County), Pikeville — 2B 21 — Sequatchie College
About 500 yds. NW. This school was the outgrowth of a community meeting at Bryant Camp Ground in 1858. War conditions delayed opening until 1865, with Prof. Gerry Rodgers first president. The first student body included both Confederate and Federal . . . — Map (db m57953) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Knoxville — 1E 18 — James Gillespy's Fort
About 2 miles northeast. Attacked Oct. 13, 1788, by 300 Indians under John Watts, the half breed. Defenders held out until ammunition was exhausted. 28 were taken prisoner; 17 slaughtered and bodies burned. Thereafter the locality was called the . . . — Map (db m90458) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 49 — Alleghany Springs
Yellow Sulphur Springs was developed on a modest scale by Jesse Kerr in 1859. In 1885, Nathan McCoy, of Indiana, built an elaborate hotel here. John Hanlon took it over in 1900, and operated it until the outbreak of World War I. It burned in 1933. — Map (db m107919) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 14 — Chilhowee
On Abram’s Creek, near the site of the early Cherokee village, Chilhowee, William and Robert James established a water-powered cotton and woolen spinning and weaving factory. A charter for the business was issued in 1846 and the mill was evidently . . . — Map (db m58501) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 104 — Freedman's Institute
A three-story brick building was erected 1872-74 on this site to train blacks as teachers. Institute was begun in 1867, in a log house ½ mile north, and later moved into a new building, financed mainly by friends. By 1879, it had trained 80 . . . — Map (db m81362) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 5 — Houston's Station
Established by James Houston in 1785, it stood about 300 yards east on Little Nine Mile Creek. From here, in 1786, John Sevier led 160 horsemen against the Cherokee towns. In 1788, the Kirk family was massacred about three miles south; shortly . . . — Map (db m58500) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1 E 100 — John Craig's Fort
Site of the original settlement of Maryville. Here Captain John Craig in 1785 erected a fort on Pistol Creek to protect settlers from Indian raids. In 1793 as many as 280 men, women, and children lived within its walls for several months, surviving . . . — Map (db m58839) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 42 — Maryville College
Founded in 1819 by the Synod of Tennessee, Presbyterian Church in the USA, as The Southern and Western Theological Seminary, its first president was Rev. Isaac Anderson, D.D. Its original buildings were on Broadway at College Street. Receiving its . . . — Map (db m36993) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 56 — Montvale Springs
7 ½ mi. S, this resort was termed the Saratoga of the South in stagecoach days. First advertised in 1832; Daniel Foute built a log hotel there in 1837. In 1853, Asa Watson, of Mississippi, built the Seven Gable Hotel. Sidney Lanier spent much . . . — Map (db m81363) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E46 — New Providence Church
This Presbyterian church was founded in 1786 by Rev. Archibald Scott, of Virginia. In 1792, Rev. Gideon Blackburn built a log church here; the stones in the present wall are from a church which replaced it in 1829; the brick church replaced it in . . . — Map (db m28733) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 55 — Pride Mansion
Dr. Samuel Pride, first Worthy Master of the New Providence Masonic Lodge, built his house here. Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, enroute to the relief of Burnside at Knoxville, billeted himself here. From 1878 to 1900 it was the Friends’ Normal Institute. . . . — Map (db m58509) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1 E 75 — Relief of Knoxville
Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, U.S.A., arrived in Blount County with 25,000 men, Dec. 5, 1863, to relieve Gen. Ambrose Burnside besieged at Knoxville by Gen. James Longstreet. The 15th Corps camped around Maryville, the 11th around Louisville and the 4th . . . — Map (db m58836) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 6 — Sam Houston Schoolhouse
Three miles south is the school-house built in 1796 by Andrew Kennedy and Henry McCulloch for their children. Sam Houston taught here in 1811 or 1812. He later became Governor of Tennessee, Commander-in-Chief of the Texas Army, President of the . . . — Map (db m109629) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 51 — Samuel Henry's Station
On the hill to the south, beside the Great War and Trading Path, later the Federal Road, Samuel Henry, Sr., built a fort by 1792. The half-breed John Watts and 200 followers attacked it in August, 1793. Henry’s first mill was authorized in 1795. He . . . — Map (db m58508) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E16 — Where Houston Enlisted
Here, where Blount County's first courthouse stood, Sam Houston "took a dollar from the drum", thus marking his first enlistment in the United States Army, March 24, 1813. This culminated in his command of the Army of Texas, which decisively . . . — Map (db m28579) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 109 — William Bennett Scott, Sr.ca. 1821 - 1885
William B. Scott, Sr., a free Black, migrated to East Tennessee in 1847 after increased racial tension in North Carolina. He made harnesses and saddles in Blount County’s Quaker community of Friendsville until the Civil War. In Knoxville, during . . . — Map (db m107600) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Rockford — 1E 40 — Bartlett's Station
Nicholas Bartlett built a mill 300 ft. downstream about 1785. When Blount County was created in 1795, its mill-pond was a turning point from the Stock Creek boundary to run toward Bay's Mountain. The mill was used as a fort in the Indian troubles of . . . — Map (db m109333) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Rockford — 1E 11 — Knox CountyEstablished 1792; named in honor of — Maj. Gen. Henry Knox
Washington's Chief of Artillery in the Revolutionary War. Secretary of War in Washington's Cabinet. One of the founders and first secretary of the Society of the Cincinnati. Reverse: Blount County Established 1795; named in honor of . . . — Map (db m109332) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Seymour — 1E 19 — Eusebia Church
Early settlers coming down the Great War & Trading Path in 1784-85 camped here; it was the scene of their first death and burial. In 1786 the Rev. Archibald Scott of Virginia organized a Presbyterian congregation in the area; the church was built . . . — Map (db m81365) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Seymour — 1E 22 — McTeer's Fort
One mile south, near a large spring, Robert McTeer built a fort and mill in 1784. A branch of the Great War and Trading Path passed nearby. Reportedly, the first school in what later became Blount County was held here; it was also the first polling . . . — Map (db m108216) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Townsend — 1E 13 — John Mitchel
This Irish patriot, exiled from his homeland for revolutionary newspaper activities, settled in the cove about two miles from here in 1855. After a short stay he moved to Knoxville. The rest of his life was taken up with lecture tours and newspaper . . . — Map (db m56818) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Townsend — 1E 110 — The Little River Lumber Company
This is the former site of the Little River Lumber Company mill complex. Founded in 1901 by Col. W.B. Townsend for whom this community is named, the company was one of the largest commercial lumber operations in the Smokies. From 1901 to 1939, the . . . — Map (db m36995) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Townsend — 1E 15 — Tuckaleechee Villages
Near here was one of these three Cherokee villages, unoccupied when settlers arrived about 1791. A branch of the Great War and Trading Path forked here, one to North Carolina, the other to villages on the Little Tennessee. The Virginia trader, . . . — Map (db m46477) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Walland — 1E 48 — Gamble's Station
A mile north, on Little River, Josias Gamble built a fort in 1740. Gov. William Blount came here in 1790, to pacify and disperse a gathering of settlers about to attack the Indians to recover stolen horses. The fort was never attacked, but was a . . . — Map (db m46479) HM
Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — 2A 71 — "Chief Jack" Walker
Here stood the home of John Walker, Junior, known as “Chief Jack”. A grandson of Nancy Ward, he was prominent in the affairs of the Cherokee nation, belonging to the party advocating a voluntary treaty of removal of the Cherokees to the . . . — Map (db m81366) HM
Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — 2A 109 — Civil War "No Man's Land"
After battles at Chattanooga in November 1863, and before the Atlanta Campaign the following May, southern Bradley County lay between Union and Confederate lines at Cleveland, Tennessee, and Dalton, Georgia. Both armies scouted the area. Soldiers . . . — Map (db m115884) HM
Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — 2A-92 — Cooper Cemetery
In 1873, Bennet Cooper (1797-1886) gave one-quarter of an acre of land for a family burying ground. His first wife, Lydia, was buried there along with several other family members. The cemetery is located on a ridge behind the Cooper Homeplace which . . . — Map (db m81367) HM
Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — 2A 41 — Oak Grove Male Academy
Chartered Dec. 16, 1837, this was the first such institution in the Ocoee Purchase; here was its home during its entire existence. An early teacher (1843) was Henry von Aldehoff, a native of Prussia and graduate of Bonn University. This building was . . . — Map (db m49559) HM
Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — 2A 44 — Red Clay Council Ground
One mile west was this Cherokee council ground. Here was held the last council between the United States and the Cherokee nation, preceding the removal of the Indians to Indian Territory, now Oklahoma. John Howard Payne, author of “Home, . . . — Map (db m49722) HM
Tennessee (Campbell County), Caryville — 1D 37 — Stone Millcirca 1900-1934
1.5 miles to the southeast on Cove Creek. Joel E. Stone built a dam, grist mill and a saw mill, which he and his family operated until 1934 when Norris Lake was raised. The mill served the surrounding area as a community center and whistle-stop for . . . — Map (db m74243) HM
Tennessee (Campbell County), Jellico — 1D 17 — Kirby Smith Invades Kentucky
Heth's Division, with the army's artillery and subsistence trains, passed into Kentucky through Walker's and Big Creek Gaps, while other combat elements of the Army of East Tennessee moved through Roger's Gap. The two columns reunited at . . . — Map (db m121322) HM
Tennessee (Campbell County), Jellico — 1 D1 — Tennessee - Campbell County / Kentucky
Campbell County Established 1806: reportedly named in honor of Col. Arthur Campbell. Member of the Virginia House of Burgesses; Commanded 70th Regiment Virginia Militia, in the Revolution; Commissioner for negotiation of Indian Treaties in . . . — Map (db m119950) HM
Tennessee (Cannon County), Woodbury — 2E 63 — "Mister Jim" Cummings
Born in Cannon County in 1890, James Harvey Cummings, known as “Mr. Jim”, was a farmer, attorney, politician, and statesman. Having served in the Tennessee General Assembly from 1928 to 1972, except for 1949 – 1953 when he was . . . — Map (db m60422) HM
Tennessee (Cannon County), Woodbury — 2E 1 — Cannon County/Warren County
Cannon County Established 1836; named in honor of Newton Cannon Governor of Tennessee, 1835–39; Member of Congress, 1814–17 and 1821–27; Served in Creek War and War of 1812. Warren County Established . . . — Map (db m60421) HM
Tennessee (Cannon County), Woodbury — 2E 14 — Early Industry
On Short Mountain, 7.1 mi., Henry Hoover & John Beeson established a millstone and grindstone factory in 1806. An inscription on a bluff of the mountain, and discarded fragments of stone mark the spot. — Map (db m60423) HM
Tennessee (Cannon County), Woodbury — 2E 16 — Forrest Rested HereJuly 12, 1862
Here Forrest, with his newly organized brigade of about 1400 cavalrymen, halted for a short rest before making his successful raid on Federal forces at Murfreesboro under Gen. T.L. Crittenden. He freed a number of hostages from this locality and . . . — Map (db m76173) HM
Tennessee (Cannon County), Woodbury — 2E 22 — The Trail of Tears
In the valley to the south, that part of the Cherokee nation which took part in the enforced overland migration to Indian Territory rested for about three weeks in 1839. About 15,000 persons of various ages took part in the march. Several who died . . . — Map (db m76174) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Atwood — 4A 17 — Carroll County
Established 1822: Named in honor of William Carroll An officer in the War of 1812; governor of Tennessee, 1821-27 and 1829-35; Served as governor longer than any other man. — Map (db m52132) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Atwood — 4A 17 — Gibson County
Established 1823; Named in honor of Colonel John Gibson who served with distinction under General Andrew Jackson in the Natchez Expedition, 1812 - 13, and in the Creek Wars. — Map (db m52134) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Atwood — 4A 34 — Gordon Browning1889 - 1976
Governor Browning was born in Carroll County. After graduating from Cumberland Law School in 1915, he began practicing in Huntingdon. He commanded Battery D, 114th Field Artillery in France in World War I. In 1922 he was elected to Congress and . . . — Map (db m51404) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Hollow Rock — 4A 53 — Alexis de Tocqueville At Sandy Bridge
Alexis de Tocqueville (1805-1859), author of the classic Democracy in America, and Gustave de Beaumont (1802-1866) spent four frigid days and nights, December 12-16, 1831 at Sandy Bridge, now Hollow Rock. The postmaster, Zephaniah Harris, and . . . — Map (db m52647) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Hollow Rock — 4A 14 — Hollowrock Church
Founded in 1822, this Primitive Baptist Church has been in constant use. It holds an annual foot-washing ceremony the first Sunday in May, which is attended by communicants and witnesses from many parts of this and neighboring states. — Map (db m52585) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Huntingdon — 4A 27 — Isaac R. Hawkins
Born in Maury Co., he was an officer of volunteers in the Mexican War. A lifelong staunch Unionist, he was a delegate to the Constitutional Union Party convention of 1860, later an officer in the Federal Army. A delegate to the Republican convention . . . — Map (db m52608) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Huntingdon — 4A 9 — Nathan Nesbitt
Lived and is buried about 3½ miles southeast. On December 9, 1822, he made a trail through the woods to the new county seat, carrying a crosscut saw. Arrived at Huntingdon, he sawed a door in the new log courthouse and thus, as Chairman of the . . . — Map (db m52609) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Huntingdon — 4A 28 — Oak Hill Cemetery
Established in 1822, this cemetery contains the remains of soldiers from every major American war since the establishment of the state. Among those buried here are two from the War of 1812, three from the Mexican War, and thirty-eight from the Civil . . . — Map (db m51407) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Huntingdon — 4A 8 — Old Racetrack
Built about 1818 in the area to the east. Here also were held barbecues, barn dances, prize fights and cockfights. Here, according to court records, David Crockett “participated in an affray,” while attending the races. He was fined six . . . — Map (db m52584) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), McKenzie — 4A 22 — Bethel College
Founded as Bethel Seminary at McLemoresville in 1842 by the West Tennessee Synod, Cumberland Presbyterian Church, with Rev. Ruben Burrow principal. Incorporated in 1847, it became Bethel College in 1850 and moved here in 1872. It was presented to . . . — Map (db m52842) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), McKenzie — 4A 16 — Clear Lake
About 3 miles SE, the lake was discovered in 1785 by Henry Rutherford, who surveyed the majority of west Tennessee. It was orginally named Boyd's Lake, for the Rev. Adam Boyd, chaplin [sic] of the North Carolina Regiment in the Revolution, who later . . . — Map (db m81368) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), McKenzie — 4A 11 — Forrest's RaidDec. 24, 1862
Moving to McKenzie, Forrest's Brigade captured the 100 - man garrison. Here they spent Christmas Eve, while working parties completed destruction of 4 miles of trestles and bridge between the forks of the Obion River. Other parties completed . . . — Map (db m52174) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), McKenzie — 4A 46 — James Monroe McKenzie1818 - 1873
James Monroe McKenzie, entrepreneur and philanthropist, was born in February 12, 1818. In 1860 he donated land for the depot and freight office where the Nashville and Northwestern Railroad crossed the Memphis and Ohio Railroad, resulting in the . . . — Map (db m81369) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), McKenzie — 4A 43 — Webb School
Originally founded in 1923 as the black "County Training School" at Smyrna, Tennessee. It was moved to McKenzie in 1927, and named "Webb High School" in honor of John L. Webb. With over 1900 alumni, this school, under the leadership of J. L. Seets . . . — Map (db m52177) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), McLemoresville — 4 A 13 — First County Court
The home of R.E.C. Dougherty stood on the foundations of the house to the north. Here, as Chairman, he held the first meeting of the Carroll County Court, March 11, 1822. Members were, Daniel Barcroft, John Bone, Banks W. Burrow, Edward Gwin, John . . . — Map (db m51405) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), McLemoresville — 4 A12 — Forrest's RaidDec. 29, 1862
Forrest's Brigade, re-armed, and re-equipped with material and horses captured from the Federal storehouses which they had plundered, passed through here enroute to Lexington and their re-crossing of the Tennessee River at Clifton. — Map (db m51406) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Trezevant — 4A 33 — Christmasville
First used as Post No. 2 by the 1785 surveyors, a town was later established on November 14, 1823, at John Christmas McLemore's Bluff, on the South Fork of the Obion River. Goods were shipped down the river until 1854. Buckeye Point, 1 mile east, . . . — Map (db m52130) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Trezevant — 4A 35 — Hillsman House
On the old McKenzie Road one mile north stands the historic home of Major Jack Hillsman, Civil War veteran, son of pioneer Reddick Hillsman from North Carolina who helped organize Carroll County in 1821. The two-story house, completed in 1869, was . . . — Map (db m52192) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 123 — Carter County's Train History
Carter County’s railroad history is the story of three trains – the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina, better known as Tweetsie (1881-1951); the Southern Railroad (1911-1940); and the North American Rayon Steam Engine (1936-1992). The . . . — Map (db m46561) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 119 — Cedar Grove Cemetery
Cedar Grove Cemetery was originally established as a "colored cemetery" in the early nineteenth century on a tract of land adjacent to a trail that became known as Gap Creek Road. The remote and rocky terrain often required the use of dynamite to . . . — Map (db m81370) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 62 — Covered Bridge
This bridge over Doe River was built early in 1882 at a cost to the county of $3000 for the bridge and $300 for the approaches. The site was chosen by J.J. McCorkle, Wiley Christian and H.M. Rentfro. The committee were Thomas E. Matson, Engineer, . . . — Map (db m46706) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 54 — Duffield Academy
These stones are from the foundation of the academy established Sept. 13, 1806, with Maj. George Duffield, Chairman, Nathaniel Taylor, George Williams, Alexander Doran & John Greer, Trustees. In 1807, Andrew Taylor, Abraham Henry and Reuben Thornton . . . — Map (db m46607) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 61 — Green Hill Cemetery
The Tipton family cemetery, it stood near the homesite of Samuel Tipton (1752-1833) and Susannah Reneau (1767-1853). Col. John Tipton, father of Samuel, deeded it to him in 1784. The house was later the home of a nephew, Isaac P. Tipton, whose . . . — Map (db m81371) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1 A 15 — Sabine Hill
Built about 1818 by Mary (“Polly”) Patton Taylor, widow of Gen. Nathaniel Taylor, of the War of 1812. Both are buried in the cemetery nearby. Among their great-grandsons were Governors Alfred A. and Robert L. Taylor, of Tennessee, and . . . — Map (db m46387) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 72 — Samuel Powhatan CarterAug 6, 1819 – May 26, 1891
Born in this house. After attending Washington College and Princeton, graduated from U.S. Naval Academy; serving in the Navy until May 1, 1862, he was appointed brigadier general, U.S. Volunteers. His most conspicuous service was a raid into East . . . — Map (db m46749) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 16 — Sycamore Shoals of the Watauga
In this neighborhood, on Sept. 26, 1780, Rev. Samuel Doak conducted religious services for the frontiersmen from Virginia and North Carolina, including the Watauga and other settlements in what is now Tennessee, upon the start of their decisive . . . — Map (db m47152) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 19 — The Mansion
“The Mansion” was built before 1780 by John Carter and his son Landon. John Carter was chairman of the Watauga Association, a court of five men elected by the settlers of the Watauga Count in May 1772, “to govern and direct for the . . . — Map (db m47102) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 52 — Transylvania Purchase
In this valley, March 17, 1775, the Transylvania Company, led by Richard Henderson, John Williams and Nathaniel Hart, bought from the Cherokee, led by Chief Oconostota, all the lands between the Kentucky and Cumberland Rivers. Over 20 million acres . . . — Map (db m47196) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 8 — Watauga Fort
400 yards northward and ½ mile northeast of the mouth of Gap Creek, stood Watauga Fort. Here, July 21, 1776, the settlers under Captain James Robertson repulsed the Cherokees under Old Abraham of Chilhowee, and Lt. John Sevier rescued . . . — Map (db m47187) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 53 — Watauga Purchase
Here, March 19, 1775, at the Sycamore Shoals, the Watauga Association, Charles Robertson, Trustee, bought from the Cherokee, with Oconostota as chief, lands along the Watauga, Holston and Great Canaway (now New) Rivers. The consideration for the . . . — Map (db m47180) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Johnson City — 1A 31 — Carter County / Washington County
[Front]
Established 1796 named in honor of Landon Carter Treasurer of Washington and Hamilton Districts. Speaker of the first State of Franklin Senate, later its Secretary of State, also Lieutenant Colonel of the Washington . . . — Map (db m45948) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Johnson City — 1A 17 — Dungan’s Mill
6.5 miles northwest, at the mouth of Brush Creek, is a mill built by Jeremiah Dungan in 1779, and continuously operated since then. East of it was a stone fort erected by pioneers of the Watauga Settlement.
Dungan and other pioneers are buried . . . — Map (db m45997) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Watauga — 1A 108 — Range School
Range School was in operation prior to Oct. 29, 1843. It began as a common school with classes held in a log sheep barn donated by Jonathan Range. In 1901, a one-room frame building was constructed near the original site. A brick building was . . . — Map (db m53528) HM
Tennessee (Chester County), Henderson — 4C 25 — Cox's RaidOctober 25, 1862
Attacking this place at dawn, the Confederate cavalry battalion of Maj. N.N. Cox killed one Federal soldier, captured three officers and 33 enlisted men of "B" Co., 49th Illinois Infantry, and dispersed the rest. They burned the railroad station and . . . — Map (db m84787) HM
Tennessee (Chester County), Henderson — 4C 29 — Freed-Hardeman College
The campus includes the sites of predecessors Henderson Male and Female Institute (1869-1885), West Tennessee Christian College (1885-1897), Georgie Robertson Christian College (1897-1907), and National Teachers Normal and Business College . . . — Map (db m84788) HM
Tennessee (Chester County), Jacks Creek — 4C 31 — Jacks Creek
The Jacks Creek community was settled in the 1820s in Henderson (now Chester) County. It furnished men to the 13th Infantry, 18th Newsome's and 21st Wilson's Calvary units, C.S.A., and was the site of a skirmish 1 mi. N on Sept. 12, 1863, and an . . . — Map (db m84789) HM
Tennessee (Claiborne County), Cumberland Gap — 1D13 — Harrow School
Founded by Rev. & Mrs. A. A. Myers in 1890. First classes held in basement of Congregational Church on site of present Cumberland Gap School; later moved 1/2 mile west to Harrow Hall. Operated as a division of its successor, Lincoln Memorial . . . — Map (db m80233) HM
Tennessee (Claiborne County), Cumberland Gap — 1D14 — Three States Cornerstone1 1/2 mi.
The cornerstone for Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee is on Three States Peak. The first Virginia - North Carolina (later Tennessee) boundary at this point was surveyed in 1779 by Dr. Thomas Walker and Col. Richard Henderson. The present line and . . . — Map (db m80235) HM
Tennessee (Claiborne County), Cumblerland Gap — 1D8 — Cumberland Gap
First explored, 1750; Long Hunters used it until 1760, and Daniel Boone in 1769, cutting the Wilderness Trail through it in 1775. Hosts of pioneers followed even before the road was built in 1796. Postal service was established in 1795 and a post . . . — Map (db m80232) HM
Tennessee (Claiborne County), Harrogate — 1D 36 — Lincoln Memorial University
"If you come through this misery alive... I want you to do something for all those mountain people who have been shut out of the world all these years." These words of President Abraham Lincoln to General O. O. Howard in 1863 proved to be the . . . — Map (db m35760) HM
Tennessee (Clay County), Celina — 2D 42 — Butler's Landing / Bailey Butler
Butler's Landing Daniel Boone, on his trip to the Western Territory in 1773, followed the old game and Indian trail to where two creeks flowed into the Cumberland River. He referred to them as the Twin or Double Creeks in his journal. On this . . . — Map (db m74336) HM WM
Tennessee (Clay County), Celina — 2D 31 — Free Hill(s) Community
Free Hill(s), a historic Black community, was established northeast of Celina before the Civil War by former slaves of Virginia Hill. Hill brought her slaves from North Carolina to then Overton County, purchased 2,000 hilly and rough acres, settled . . . — Map (db m74274) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Del Rio — 1C 22 — Grace Moore
Born in a house which stood just across the creek, on Dec. 5, 1901, she was educated at Ward Belmont College, in Nashville, and after further musical study in Washington and New York, she became one of the outstanding operatic sopranos of her day. . . . — Map (db m40736) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Del Rio — 1C 73 — John Floyd Arrowood1891-1925
Born two miles west April 1891, Arrowood was one of the first American soldiers to be decorated for bravery in World War I. The French government, on Nov. 14, 1917, awarded him the Croix de Guerre for the rescue of several men under his . . . — Map (db m40735) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Del Rio — 1C2 — Tennessee / North Carolina
(obverse) Tennessee Cocke County Established 1797, named in honor of SENATOR WILLIAM COCKE (1796, 1797, 1799 to 1805) An officer of the Revolutionary Army; one of the leaders of the State of Franklin and member of the . . . — Map (db m40739) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Newport — 1C 57 — Governor Ben Walter Hooper
Born in Newport on October 13, 1870, Hooper was a successful Cocke County attorney. He was elected governor and served two terms, 1911-15. His election is attributed to the influence of fusion, the coalition of the prohibition factions of both . . . — Map (db m61778) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Newport — 1C34 — Jefferson County / Cocke County
Side A * Jefferson County * Established 1792: named in honor of Thomas Jefferson Secretary of State; formerly member of the Continental Congress; principal author of the Declaration of Independence; later Governor of . . . — Map (db m81373) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Newport — 1C20 — Kiffin Yates Rockwell
Born in a house 500 yards south, he attended W & L University and V.M.I. Enlisted in the French Foreign Legion, August, 1914: incapacitated for infantry service by wounds, May 1915. Transferring to the French Air Force, he helped found the . . . — Map (db m28228) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Newport — 1C 66 — The War Ford
Located .2 mi. east on the Big Pigeon River is a strategic crossing used by the Cherokees. In Aug. 1782, Gen. Charles McDowell of Burke Co., North Carolina, raised an army of five hundred mounted militia from Morgan District to cross the mountains, . . . — Map (db m61779) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Newport — 1C 19 — Whitson’s Fort
About 2 miles northeast, south of the mouth of Cosby’s Creek, William Whitson, Jr., established a fort on the east bank of Pigeon River in 1783. It was an important frontier outpost, since there was a ford there, and the west bank of the river was . . . — Map (db m58404) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Parrottsville — 1C 64 — Swaggerty Fort
This fort, one of only two known remaining blockhouses in Tennessee, was built about 1787 by James Swaggerty for protection from the Indians. Located on land of his Uncle Abraham Swaggerty, it consists of three levels. The cantilevered structure was . . . — Map (db m61780) HM
Tennessee (Coffee County), Beech Grove — 2E 40 — Beech Grove Engagement
On June 24, 1863, Union forces under Rosecrans overpowered Confederate defenders on Hoover's Gap, commanded by Stewart, Bate, and Bushrod Johnson. This was the beginning of Bragg's withdrawal to Chattanooga. Unknown soldiers who fell in the battle . . . — Map (db m26052) HM
Tennessee (Coffee County), Beech Grove — Confederate Cemetery
Originally the site of a pioneer cemetery, many early residents are buried here. In 1866, returned Confederate soldiers, under the leadership of Maj. William Hume and David Lawrence, collected and reinterred here the bodies of soldiers who fell at . . . — Map (db m24162) HM
Tennessee (Coffee County), Beech Grove — 2E 6 — Fort Nash
Near here, on Garrison Fork, this fort was established, about 1793, for the protection of settlers and travelers to and from the southwest. Until its abandonment, about 1804, it was an important stopping place and administrative center. — Map (db m26050) HM
Tennessee (Coffee County), Beech Grove — 2E 41 — Henry Watterson
Born in Washington, Feb. 16, 1840, where his father, Harvey Magee Watterson, was in Congress, he spent most of his boyhood in a house 100 ft. W. Subsequently Confederate soldier, journalist and political leader, he founded the Louisville . . . — Map (db m81375) HM
Tennessee (Coffee County), Manchester — 2E 45 — Experiment in Armor
Hereabouts, on June 20, 1941, Maj. Gen. George S. Patton, Jr., personally led his 2nd Armored Division across several fords of Duck River, quickly surrounding and defeating his maneuver opponents in the Manchester vicinity, thus proving that modern . . . — Map (db m24968) HM
Tennessee (Coffee County), Manchester — 2E 47 — General Henry H. "Hap" Arnold
General "Hap" Arnold, WW II Commander of the Army Air Forces, is commemorated by the Air Force research and development installation bearing his name. In 1944, he directed long range planning for air research and development to maintain this . . . — Map (db m25920) HM
Tennessee (Coffee County), Manchester — 2E 5 — Old Stone Fort
About 1/2 mi. S.W. are remains of stone fortification and moat of ancient and unknown origin. One theory is that it was built by a party of 12th Century Welch voyagers who entered the country via the Gulf of Mexico. Near here also was the capital of . . . — Map (db m24967) HM
Tennessee (Coffee County), Manchester — 2E 46 — Pioneer Armored Maneuvers
Maneuvering in this vicinity, June, 1941, the 2nd Armored Division, USA, commanded by Maj. Gen. George Smith Patton, Jr., gave the first demonstration in America of the mobility and decisive power of armor in large-scale combat operations. Maneuver . . . — Map (db m24969) HM
Tennessee (Coffee County), Tullahoma — 2E 12 — Army of Tennessee
Withdrawing to this area after the Battle of Murfreesboro, Gen. Braxton Bragg established his command post near here. Other units went into defensive winter quarters at Bell Buckle, Shelbyville & Wartrace. Here they remained until late June, 1863, . . . — Map (db m81378) HM
Tennessee (Coffee County), Tullahoma — 2E 72 — Baillet Sisters
Jane (Jennie) Baillet 1834 - 1918 Emma Adell Baillet 1838 - 1926 Affa Ann Baillet 1850 - 1934 This house was the home of Jane, Emma, and Affa Baillet whose family purchased the property . . . — Map (db m81379) HM
Tennessee (Coffee County), Tullahoma — 2E 34 — Camp Forrest
Originally established in 1926 for training the Tennessee National Guard, this became a Federal training area, Jan. 10, 1941. It was named for Lt. Gen. N.B. Forrest, CSA. Units training here included the 8th, 33rd, 79th & 80th Inf. Divs., 17th . . . — Map (db m24446) HM
Tennessee (Coffee County), Tullahoma — 2 E 19 — Coffee County / Franklin County
Coffee County Established 1836; named in honor of Major General John Coffee Soldier, surveyor and close friend of Andrew Jackson. Tennessee troops under his command took a decisive part in the New Orleans Campaign, December 23, 1814 to . . . — Map (db m81380) HM
Tennessee (Coffee County), Tullahoma — 2E 44 — Confederate Cemetery
1 mile SW are buried 407 unknown Confederates. Many of these died in one of the hospitals established here when Tullahoma was headquarters for the Army of Tennessee during the first six months of 1863, following the Battle of Murfreesboro and . . . — Map (db m24296) HM
Tennessee (Coffee County), Tullahoma — 2E 11 — Isham G. Harris
Born near here, 1818. Was the only governor of Confederate State of Tennessee. In Congress 1849-51; elected governor, 1857-59-61. When U.S. forces captured Nashville, joined staff of Army of Tennessee for remainder of War. Fled to Mexico, 1865; . . . — Map (db m61914) HM
Tennessee (Coffee County), Tullahoma — 2E 56 — James W. Starnes
South of here, at Bobo's Crossroads, Col. Starnes, 4th Tennessee Cavalry, CSA, then commanding Forrest's Old Brigade, was killed in a skirmish while his brigade was screening the withdrawal of the Army of Tennessee from Tullahoma to the Chattanooga . . . — Map (db m24188) HM
Tennessee (Crockett County), Alamo — 4D 38 — Robert H. White, Ph. D.(1883 - 1970)
Robert H. "Bob" White was born in Crockett County 10 miles west of this site. He served 15 years as Tennessee's first official State Historian. He had previously served as a college teacher and a consultant to many departments of state government as . . . — Map (db m52977) HM
Tennessee (Crockett County), Bells — 4D 29 — Cherryville
3½ miles west, this town, first called Harris' Bluff, later Harrisburg, was the first to be incorporated (Oct. 18, 1821) in west Tennessee. In 1833, the electors for the surrounding four counties delivered their returns here. Industries . . . — Map (db m52999) HM
Tennessee (Crockett County), Gadsden — 4D 30 — First Strawberries
Coming to this region from his native Maryland in 1867, David Brandenburg established here the first large-scale strawberry-growing operation in Tennessee. The industry has now become an important factor in the produce economy of the mid-South. — Map (db m53032) HM
Tennessee (Crockett County), Maury City — 4D 36 — Thomas Conyers, Sr.1757 - 1847
One mile due north is the grave of this veteran of the Revolutionary War who enlisted in 1776, wintered at Valley Forge, served in numerous battles, afterwards fought Indians, and was honorably discharged at Pittsburgh. He moved to what is now . . . — Map (db m56291) HM
Tennessee (Cumberland County), Crab Orchard — 2C 12 — Thomas "Big Foot" Spencer
Thomas Sharp Spencer first visited Middle Tennessee in 1776. In the spring of 1778 he became the first Caucasian to clear land, build a cabin, and grow corn in the area. The following winter he resided in a giant hollow sycamore tree south of . . . — Map (db m84367) HM
Tennessee (Cumberland County), Crossville — 2 C 20 — Kemmer Stand / Tavern
In 1817, John Kemmer purchased land here and built Kemmer Stand, a wayside inn, at the intersection of Burke Road. It was two-story, two-section structure that housed many travelers traversing the Cumberland Plateau. At the crest of this hill lies . . . — Map (db m18194) HM
Tennessee (Cumberland County), Pleasant Hill — 2C 11 — Pleasant Hill
Pleasant Hill Was incorporated in 1903. Pleasant Hill Academy, a secondary school, was founded here in 1884 by the American Missionary Association of the Congregational Churches to provide an education for the young people of the Cumberland Plateau. . . . — Map (db m69229) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Brentwood — 3A 21 — Hood's RetreatDec. 16, 1864
In this neighborhood, late in the evening of his decisive defeat at Nashville, Hood reorganized his army for withdrawal southward. Lt. Gen. Stephen D. Lee's Corps, supported by Chalmers' Cavalry Division, covered the withdrawal, fighting . . . — Map (db m54043) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Goodlettsville — 3A 19 — Alexander Wilson
In the spring of 1810, Alexander Wilson, noted author, naturalist, and known as the "Father of American Ornithology", visited this area while on a horseback trip over the Natchez Trace to the Mississippi River. While here he lodged with the pioneer, . . . — Map (db m83282) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Goodlettsville — 3B 23 — Casper Mansker1746–1820
Two blocks west is the grave of this renowned frontiersman and Goodlettsville’s first citizen. Coming first to the Cumberland Settlements in 1770, he returned in 1780 and built his fort one-half mile north on Mansker’s creek. He repeatedly fought . . . — Map (db m2428) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Goodlettsville — 3A 204 — Goodlettsville Cumberland Presbyterian Church
In 1843, Goodlettsville Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized near Mansker Creek and was originally known as Mansker Creek Congregation. In January 1848, the church moved to the present location and burned in 1901. The present edifice was . . . — Map (db m2583) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Goodlettsville — 3A 14 — Mansker’s Station
Here, near Mansker’s Lick, Casper Mansker established a station of the Cumberland Settlements in 1780. The road connecting with Nashboro was built in 1781. John Donelson and his family moved here after abandoning his Clover Bottom Station, following . . . — Map (db m2375) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Goodlettsville — 3A 15 — Old Stone Bridge
Immediately to the east is one of the stone bridges over which passed the old stage road from Nashville to Louisville. The stage line operated until the rail-road was completed in 1859. — Map (db m83281) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Goodlettsville — 3A 146 — William Bowen HouseCirca 1787
Near Mansker’s Creek stands a rare example of Federal architecture built by Capt. William Bowen and Mary Henley Russell. Bowen, an early pioneer and Indian fighter had served in the French & Indian and Revolutionary wars before moving his family to . . . — Map (db m85438) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Hendersonville — Davidson County/Sumner County
Davidson County. Established 1783; named in honor of Brig. Gen. William Lee Davidson of North Carolina. Distinguished officer in the revolutionary War. Served with the Army at Valley Forge. Killed in action at Cowan’s Ford, N.C., 1781. . . . — Map (db m2374) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Hermitage — 3A 13 — The Hermitage
Home of Andrew Jackson (1767~1845), Major General in the Army, hero of the Battle of New Orleans, and seventh President of the United States. It was originally built in 1819; partially burned in 1834, during Jackson's second term, replaced by the . . . — Map (db m36280) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 122 — Academic Building At Fisk University
The Academic Building at Fisk University was designed by Nashville architect Moses McKissack and was made possible by a gift from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. On May 22, 1908, William H. Taft, later 27th President of the United States, laid the . . . — Map (db m4511) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 108 — Anne Dallas Dudley
1876-1955 Anne Dudley played a significant role in the ratification of the Nineteenth Amendment by the State of Tennessee. A native of Nashville, she served as president of the Nashville Equal Suffrage League, 1911-15; president of the . . . — Map (db m4524) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 153 — Arna Wendell Bontemps1902 - 1973
At this site lived Arna W. Bontemps, one of the most prolific contributors to the Harlem or Negro Renaissance. From 1943 to 1965, Bontemps, an award-winning poet, playwright, novelist, biographer, historian, editor, and author of children's books, . . . — Map (db m4959) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N1 10 — Assault on Montgomery Hill — Dec. 15, 1864
500 yards east of here, Maj. Gen. T. J. Wood led an assault by his IV Corps against the Confederate skirmish line on the hill, eventually carrying it. Attacking the main line about 600 yards south, Wood was unable to take it by direct assault, the . . . — Map (db m52302) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N1 12 — Battle of NashvilleOuter Federal Defenses - Dec. 2, 1864
Here the outer Federal Defensive line, which stretched 7 mi. around the city, crossed Hillsboro Pike. It was used at the commencement of the battle on Dec. 15 by Wood's IV Corps as a line of departure for the main attack. Faint traces of the old . . . — Map (db m28420) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N1 11 — Battle of NashvilleIV Corps Jump-off Line - Dec. 15, 1864
Using the defensive salient 500 yards east, Wood's Corps, with the XVI Corps on its right, swung southwest to envelop the left of the Confederate line, 1 1/2 miles south, and pushed it back in spite of determined resistance. The XXIII Corps . . . — Map (db m28423) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N1 4 — Battle of NashvilleDefense by Ector's Brigade — Dec. 15, 1864
In position from here northward along high ground, Ector's Brigade of French's Confederate Division commanded by Col. Daniel Coleman, outposted the left of Hood's line. Attacked by the Federal XVI Corps, supported by artillery and part of the . . . — Map (db m52597) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N1 17 — Battle of NashvilleLee's Position — Dec. 15, 1864
Here, Stephen D. Lee's Corps, Army of Tennessee, bestrode the highway and railroad. Cheatham's Corps held the right of the line, which ran northeast about 2 miles to Rain's Hill. After the Confederate left was broken in the afternoon's fighting, . . . — Map (db m52849) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N1 15 — Battle of NashvilleConfederate Defenses — Dec. 15, 1864
Stewart's Corps, Army of Tennessee, held this part of Hood's original line, extending east about 1500 yards, and west and south about 1 mile to Hillsboro Pike. After the turning of his left, about 4:00 P.M., Stewart established a new position . . . — Map (db m53345) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N2 2 — Battle of NashvilleSmith's Assault — Dec. 16, 1864
The Federal XVI Corps attacked southward along this road. After violent artillery bombardment, McArthur's Division took the hill to the west about 4:00 p.m., precipitating the rout of Hood's Army. This hill is named for Col. W. M. Shy, 20th Tenn. . . . — Map (db m53351) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N2 1 — Battle of NashvilleConfederate Position — Dec. 16, 1864
Stewart's Corps, badly mauled during the first day, withdrew at night to a line extending eastward. Lee's Corps, forming the right wing, extended the line across Franklin Pike. Cheatham's Corps, on Stewart's left, extended the line westward, and . . . — Map (db m53352) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N1 6 — Battle of NashvilleTaking of Redoubt No. 5 — Dec. 15, 1864
Hood's Redoubt No. 5 was on this hill. Couch's Division of the XXIII Corps, sweeping to the south of the route of Smith's XVI, captured it and the hills to the east late in the afternoon. Wilson's cavalry, crossing the highway about 2 miles south, . . . — Map (db m53357) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N1 8 — Battle of NashvilleConfederate Outpost — Dec. 15, 1864
100 yards west was Redoubt No. 3 in the Confederate system of detached works beyond the main line. It was overrun by the enveloping attack of Wood's IV Corps from the northwest. — Map (db m53360) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N2 4 — Battle of NashvilleConfederate Defenses - Dec. 16, 1864
Lee's Corps held the right flank of the line in the final stages of the battle, linking with Stewart to the west. Here it extended east, then south around Peach Orchard Hill. Violent attacks by Steedman's brigades were repulsed bloodily: Lee did not . . . — Map (db m81429) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N1 3 — Battle of NashvilleFederal Defenses
The hill to the west was a strong point in the system of permanent Federal defenses, started in 1862, which extended to the river on both sides of the town. Artillery was emplaced here from time to time. — Map (db m84792) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 209 — Birth of Bluegrass
In December 1945, Grand Ole Opry star Bill Monroe and his mandolin brought to the Ryman Auditorium stage a band that created a new American musical form. With the banjo style of Earl Scruggs and the guitar of Lester Flatt, the new musical genre . . . — Map (db m24069) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 136 — Carl Van Vechten Art Gallery
This building, completed in 1889, was the first gymnasium built at any predominantly black college in the United States. In 1949, it was rededicated as an art gallery and named in honor of Carl Van Vechten, a New York music critic, author, . . . — Map (db m4507) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 197 — Citizens Savings Bank and Trust Company
(Obverse) Citizens Savings Bank and Trust Company is the oldest, continuously operated African-American bank in the United States. Formerly known as the One-Cent Savings Bank and Trust Company and organized for the uplift of African . . . — Map (db m81434) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 35 — City Cemetery
First established in 1822, the remains of many early settlers were then brought here for permanent burial. Among the more than 20,000 persons buried here are Gen. James Robertson, Gov. William Carroll, Sec. of Treasury George W. Campbell, Lt. Gen. . . . — Map (db m74357) HM WM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A-36 — Cockrill Spring
The house of John Cockrill, an early settler, stood about 60 yards north, near a large spring, whose waters ran northeast into Lick Branch, which emptied Great Salt Lick, around which Nashville was founded. A blacksmith shop stood under the great . . . — Map (db m12765) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 144 — Confederate Circle at Mount Olivet
After the War Between the States, the women of Nashville bought land at Mount Olivet, and formed Confederate Circle. The remains of about 1,500 Confederate soldiers were moved here from area battlefields. Seven Confederate generals were buried in or . . . — Map (db m76477) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N1 14 — Confederate DefensesDec. 15, 1864
After being outflanked by the advance of the Federal XVI Corps (Smith), Loring and Walthall put their divisions in a defensive line west of this road, facing westward. Here, their determined defense brought Federal advances against the Confederate . . . — Map (db m53348) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 138 — DeFord Bailey1899-1982
Bailey, a pioneer of the Grand Old Opry and its first black musician, lived in the Edgehill neighborhood for nearly 60 years. His shoe-shine shop was on 12th Ave., South, near this intersection. His harmonica performance of the "Pan American Blues" . . . — Map (db m74369) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 32 — Demonbreum's Cave
Jaques-Timothe De Montbrun, French Canadian fur trader and later lieutenant governor of the Illinois Country, visited in this area as early as 1769. On at least one occasion he took refuge in the cave 0.9 mile N. when attacked by Indians. He settled . . . — Map (db m83845) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 157 — Desegregating Nashville's Lunch Counters
After the pre-dawn bombing of atty. Z. Alexander Looby's home, approx. 3000 civil rights leaders and students from Tenn. St., Fisk, Meharry, American Baptist College, and Pearl High School marched along this route on April 19, 1960, to meet with . . . — Map (db m4226) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 181 — Donley Harold Turpin, D. D. S.
1892-1948 Turpin, a 1918 alumnus, was appointed Professor in 1937 and acting dean of the Dental School in 1938. Attesting to his profound devotion to Meharry's School of Dentistry, which was founded in 1886, Turpin gave his personal finances to . . . — Map (db m4225) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 78, 95 — Downtown Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
From 1814 to 1955 this was the site of the First Presbyterian Church. President Andrew Jackson was received into the church in 1838. James K. Polk was inaugurated governor here in 1839. The building designed in the Egyptian style by William . . . — Map (db m121842) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 173 — Dr. Harold Dadford West, Sr.
1904-1974 In 1927, Dr. West came to Meharry Medical College as Associate Professor of Chemistry. A 1930 Julius Rosenwald Fellowship Recipient and a 1935 Fellow of the General Education Board, he returned to Meharry to serve as the first Ph. D . . . — Map (db m4519) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 142 — Ella Sheppard (Moore)1851 - 1914
Ella Sheppard, an original Fisk Jubilee Singer, lecturer and teacher, was born on February 4, 1851. She entered Fisk in 1868, and was selected to join the group of nine singers that set out on October 6, 1871 to raise funds to save the school. She . . . — Map (db m62508) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N1 13 — Federal DefensesDec. 2-15, 1864
Near here, the interior defensive lines ran southwest to cross Harding Pike; the total length of these works was about 7 miles. First garrisoned by Wood's IV Corps, it was occupied Dec. 15 by Donaldson's Division of Quarter-master employees. Part of . . . — Map (db m52145) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — N-13 — Federal Defenses
The hill to the west was a strong point in the system of permanent Federal defenses, started in 1862, which extended to the river on both sides of town. Artillery was emplaced here from time to time. — Map (db m61935) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 186 — First Masonic Hall
Across the alley stood the first Masonic Hall in the state, designed by architect Hugh Roland in 1818. Marquis de la Fayette was entertained there in 1825 by Past Grand Master Andrew Jackson. The 17th General Assembly of Tennessee met there in 1827. . . . — Map (db m81437) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 119 — Fisk Memorial Chapel
Fisk Memorial Chapel, deigned by New York architect William Bigelow, was erected in 1892 in memory of General Clinton B. Fisk, a founder of the University. The religious and cultural center of the campus, the Chapel has welcomed foreign dignitaries, . . . — Map (db m4268) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 96 — Fisk University
Fisk University, founded in 1866 by the American Missionary Association, was chartered in 1867 to provide higher education for men and women regardless of race. Named for General Clinton B. Fisk, assistant commissioner of the Freedman's Bureau for . . . — Map (db m4510) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 33 — Fort Nashborough
The original stockade fronted on the river slightly north of here, covering an area of about two acres. In that enclosure, on May 13, 1780, representatives of this and other settlements met and adopted the Cumberland Compact for the government of . . . — Map (db m81452) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 42 — Freeland's Station
On this site stood one of the principal stations of the Cumberland Settlements. Felix Robertson, son of Col. James Robertson and the first white child born in the Settlement, was born here, Jan. 11, 1781. On Jan. 15 the fort was heavily attacked by . . . — Map (db m4131) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 109 — Governors' Mansion
A residence built on this site in 1910 served as the residence of the governors of Tennessee from 1921 until 1949, when a residence on Curtiswood Lane was acquired by the state. Governors who lived here were Alfred Taylor, Austin Peay, Henry Horton, . . . — Map (db m52331) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 182 — Griggs Hall
Built in 1925, Griggs Hall is the original building on the American Baptist Theological Seminary campus, now American Baptist College. It was named for father and son, Drs. Allen R. and Sutton E. Griggs. In 1901, the younger Griggs founded and . . . — Map (db m3305) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 151 — Hadley Park
In 1912, Nashville officials purchased 34 acres of land to provide a public park for Negro citizens. Originally a part of the John L. Hadley plantation, Hadley Park was dedicated on July 4th. It is considered the first public park in the United . . . — Map (db m4221) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 149 — Hillsboro Theater
In 1925, the Hillsboro Theater opened as a silent film house with its entrance on 21st Avenue South. The stage arch was decorated by Italian craftsman, Raffaelo Mattei. It was the home of the Children's Theatre of Nashville after 1931, the Grand Ole . . . — Map (db m52173) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 148 — Hillsboro-West End
This classic streetcar suburb was developed on farm land as Nashville grew south and west in the late nineteenth century. Built in Bungalow, Tudor, and Colonial Revival styles, many homes from the 1910s and 1920s still stand. The Hillsboro-West End . . . — Map (db m52170) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 74 — Holy Rosary Cathedral
Near here in 1820 the first Catholic Church in Tennessee was built by Irish Catholic workers then building a bridge over Cumberland River. In 1830 a brick structure known as Holy Rosary Cathedral succeeded the frame building. Here Bishop R. P. . . . — Map (db m36240) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 117 — Homes of David Lipscomb
This cabin was home, periodically, up to 1882 of educator, editor, and religious leader David Lipscomb and wife, Margaret Zellner Lipscomb. The Associated Ladies for Lipscomb moved it here from Bell's Bend in 1985. In 1903 the Lipscombs built . . . — Map (db m53347) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 152 — Hulda Margaret Lyttle
1889-1983 In 1913, Hulda M. Lyttle was one of three graduates in the first nursing education class of Meharry's G. W. Hubbard Hospital. In 1916, Lyttle returned to Meharry as Director of Nurse Training. Between 1921 and 1938, she served as . . . — Map (db m4223) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 26 — James K. Polk
The house which stood about 100 feet west was built in 1815 by Felix Grundy. James K. Polk bought it while President in 1847. He came home to it on expiration of his term of office and died here, June 15, 1849. His widow occupied it until her death . . . — Map (db m74337) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 141 — James Weldon Johnson Home
This Dutch Colonial house was built in 1931 for James Weldon Johnson. He served as U.S. Consul to Venezuela and Nicaragua, editor of the New York Age, and field secretary of the NAACP. Johnson's poem, "Lift Every Voice and Sing," set to music by his . . . — Map (db m4520) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 120 — Jubilee Hall
Erected in 1876, Jubilee Hall was the first permanent structure built on the Fisk University campus. Named for Fisk's world-famous Jubilee Singers, this Victorian Gothic structure is sometimes called "frozen music." Jubilee Hall is a National . . . — Map (db m4148) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 77 — Maxwell House Hotel
On this site stood the Maxwell House Hotel built by John Overton in 1859. It was destroyed by fire on Christmas Day, 1961. After wartime use as a barracks, hospital and prison, it was formally opened as a hotel in 1869. Presidents Andrew Johnson, . . . — Map (db m24145) HM

1005 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 805
Paid Advertisement