Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

The Colonial Dames of America Historical Markers

Markers placed or sponsored by any Chapter of The Colonial Dames of America, founded and headquartered in New York City. The Society was established in 1890 to commemorate the history of the thirteen American colonies and the men and women who founded them.
 
John Adams Marker - Wide View image, Touch for more information
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 14, 2017
John Adams Marker - Wide View
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — John Adams
On Grosvenor Square at Brook Street on Grosvenor Square.
In this House Lived John Adams First American Minister to GREAT BRITAIN, May 1785 to March 1788 afterwards Second President of the UNITED STATES From here his Daughter ABIGAIL was married to COLONEL WILLIAM STEPHENS SMITH, . . . — Map (db m109295) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Mobile City Limits — 1711
On Government Street (U.S. 98) at South Jackson Street, on the right when traveling west on Government Street.
This site marks the southwestern limit of the city of Mobile in 1711. Known then as Fort Louis de la Mobile, it had been founded by the French at 27-Mile Bluff in 1702 and moved to its present site in 1711. Mobile has been a city under six . . . — Map (db m131883) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — California-Arizona Maneuver AreaHeadquarters of General George Patton — 1942
Near Chiriaco Road near Summit.
Training troops in desert warfare in preparation for Operation "Torch." The invasion of German held North Africa. The world's largest military installation, training 60 divisions and more than one million soldiers. — Map (db m99284) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — John Haynes
Near Main Street near Gold Street, on the right when traveling south.
John Haynes 1594 – 1654 Of Copford Hall. Essex England. Third Governor of Massachusetts. A founder of this commonwealth & its first Governor. A lover of religious liberty. A man trusted and honored. Near this place he was buried & by . . . — Map (db m44068) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Thomas Hooker
Near Main Street at Gold Street, on the right when traveling south.
Thomas Hooker 1586 – 1647 A leader of the founders in this commonwealth. A preacher of persuasive power. A statesman who based all civil authority on the free consent of the people. This tablet is placed near the site of his burial by The . . . — Map (db m44070) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The Original Georgetown ReservoirNational Society Colonial Dames XVII Century
On Reservoir Road, NW near Wisconsin Avenue, NW, on the left when traveling east.
Site of the original Georgetown Reservoir 1859-1932 Stone wall and iron fence 1871 — Map (db m98980) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Alachua Sink
Near Southeast 15th Street (Camp Ranch Road) 0.4 miles south of Southeast 41st Avenue when traveling south.
The Alachua Sink, a named likely derived from the Potano word meaning “jug,” is the deepest of Paynes Prairie’s sinkholes and acts as a conduit for water entering the Floridan aquifer at a rate of up to 6 million gallons per day. . . . — Map (db m126294) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — Pensacola Lighthouse
Construction began 1856, was lit 1859 and is still in use at the present time. This lighthouse replaced the original lighthouse built 1824, the first lighthouse on the Gulf Coast. — Map (db m50405) HM
Florida (Lee County), Sanibel — E-223 — Sanibel Lighthouse
Near Periwinkle Way 1.7 miles east of Causeway Boulevard.
The first permanent English-speaking settlers on Sanibel Island arrived from New York in 1833 as part of a colony planned by land investors. Although that settlement was short-lived, the initial colonists petitioned the U.S. government for the . . . — Map (db m80475) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe
On Woolfolk Street at Smith Street, on the right when traveling east on Woolfolk Street.
In Ocmulgee Fields camped Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe and his men on their way to Coweta Town for the purpose of making the treaty with the Creek Confederacy in 1739 — Map (db m59596) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — BREC's Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center
On North Oak Hills Parkway 0.1 miles west of Bluebonnet Boulevard, on the right when traveling east.
The area around the swamp was settled over 200 years ago. This 101 acre Louisiana swamp and surrounding highland terrace escarpment is preserved for education and recreation. — Map (db m97685) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Highland Cemetery
Near Oxford Avenue 0.1 miles south of East Parker Boulevard, on the left when traveling south.
Oldest surviving cemetery in Baton Rouge. Dedicated by George Garig as a burial ground in 1813 and deeded to St. Joseph Roman Catholic Parish in 1819. This cemetery holds the remains of American Revolutionary War soldiers Armand Duplantier and . . . — Map (db m92878) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Lafayette Buildings
Near Lafayette Street south of Laurel Street, on the left when traveling south.
342-348 Lafayette Street Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Erected 1762 Legendary site of Lafayette's 1825 visit. — Map (db m127185) HM

Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Old State Capitol
Near North Boulevard.
Old State Capitol River Road & North Blvd. Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Erected 1847-48 Razed by fire 1862.

Seat of State Government 1850-1862 1882-1932. — Map (db m121371) HM

Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Methodist ChurchJackson, LA ca 1854
On Sycamore Street at Bank Street, on the right when traveling west on Sycamore Street.
Host to Mississippi Conference in 1854. The Gothic building with a Revival basilica, slave gallery, windows depicting cross and crown of thorns, has served its congregation 140 years. — Map (db m85820) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Original Feliciana CourthouseBuilt in 1816
On High Street at College Street (Louisiana Highway 952), on the left when traveling west on High Street.
And used for that purpose until the division of the Parish into East and West Feliciana in 1824. This building has been owned by the Jackson Assembly since 1969. — Map (db m93350) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — La Salle's Landing - 1682
Near Reverend Richard Wilson Drive (State Highway 48) at Williams Boulevard, on the right when traveling east.
. . . — Map (db m86371) HM
Louisiana (Natchitoches Parish), Robeline — Los Adaes
On State Highway 485 at Natchitoches Highway (Route 6), on the right when traveling north on State Highway 485.
Mission founded nearby in 1717 for Adaes Indians by Fra Margil, Franciscan of Zacatecas, who traversed the trail from Panama on foot. French Natchitoches served by missionaries from this easternmost Spanish post. Plaque Dedicated June 1, . . . — Map (db m86805) HM
Louisiana (West Carroll Parish), Pioneer — Poverty Point State Historic Site
Near Louisiana Route 577 1.2 miles north of Louisiana Route 134.
Prehistoric Earthworks Built between 1600 B.C. to 1100 B.C. by Hunters and Gatherers Largest and most Elaborate Native American Settlement of its Time in North America Preserving Our Heritage for Past and Future Generations . . . — Map (db m109485) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Danvers — The Endecott Pear Tree
Near Water Street at Endecott Street. Reported missing.
One-eighth of a mile distant. On a part of the 300 acres granted to Governor John Endecott, is the pear tree planted by the Governor in 1632. This tree still bears fruit. — Map (db m46192) HM
Michigan (Arenac County), Standish — Historic Standish Depot
Near North Main Street (U.S. 23) north of West Cedar Street, on the right when traveling south.
. . . — Map (db m123979) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg — John D. Cobb House
On Crawford Street west of Adams Street, on the right when traveling west.
A Greek Revival Building ca 1830 Oldest Structure in Southern Heritage Complex Presented By Mississippi State Society National Society Colonial Dames Seventeenth Century — Map (db m109512) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bordentown — British Raid on Crosswicks Creek
On Prince Street near Courtland Street.
Waters of Crosswicks Creek and the Delaware River join below. 22 vessels at Bordentown and 4 at White Hill were among the 44 that were destroyed in a British raid on May 8, 1778. All were trapped in the Upper Delaware when the British took . . . — Map (db m5336) HM
North Carolina (Guilford County), High Point — Oldest Colonial Trail
On E Lexington Avenue at Terrell Drive, on the left when traveling east on E Lexington Avenue.
Ancient Indian Warrior / Trading Path. A branch passed through Guilford Co. here, ran from the Great Lakes to Georgia. Used by Colonists in Indian Treaty br 1744 but traveled after 1745 at their own risk. Most heavily traveled Early American Road. . . . — Map (db m34925) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — Last Indian Battle
On Glancy Corner Marathon Rd (County Route 54), on the right when traveling south. Reported missing.
Last Indian Battle fought March 16, 1792 on the south bank of East Fork Creek near the mouth of Grassy Run Clermont County Tecumseh Shawnee Chjef, known as “Blazing Star”, and Simon Kenton, a scout, were engaged in a sharp . . . — Map (db m95462) HM
Ohio (Marion County), Caledonia — Owl Creek Trail
On Harding Highway (Ohio Route 309) at Caledonia-Climax Road (County Route 159), on the right when traveling east on Harding Highway.
This trail, also know as the Old war trace, connected Upper Sandusky and Mt. Vernon through Caledonia, Mt. Gilead, and Fredericktown. The route continued to Newcomertown by way of Owl Creek (Kokoshing River) and White Woman (Walhoning) River. . . . — Map (db m97069) HM
Texas (Sabine County), Toledo Bend — Site of Sabine River Crossing1607 - 1701
On State Highway 21 east of Cedar Grove Road, on the left when traveling east.
Site of crossing on the Sabine River which has been used for more than 400 years. First by the Indians, later by the Spaniards, the French, and other Europeans, and more than 50,000 Anglo Americans who came to settle in Texas prior to . . . — Map (db m30766) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Weems — Christ Church Lancaster
Near Gaskin Road (County Route 709) at Christ Church Road (County Route 646).
Christ Church Lancaster, a singular example of colonial church architecture, was completed circa 1735. This is Robert “King” Carter’s legacy to the community. Its simplicity stands as a witness to the importance of the Christian faith to . . . — Map (db m24280) HM

28 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.