Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Ohio and Erie Canal Historical Markers

Completed in 1833 and linking Lake Erie with the Ohio River, it spurred economic development along its route until the late 1800s.
 
The Ohio & Erie Canal and the Dry Dock Lock Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., October 6, 2008
The Ohio & Erie Canal and the Dry Dock Lock Marker
Ohio (Fairfield County), Baltimore — 4-23 — The Ohio & Erie Canal and the "Twin Cities" / The Ohio & Erie Canal and the Dry Dock Lock
The Ohio & Erie Canal and the "Twin Cities" On this site the Ohio & Erie Canal flowed south and down-level under the Market Street Bridge. Nearby Pawpaw Creek and the canal culturally divided the Swiss settlers to the west in Basil and the . . . — Map (db m12344) HM
Ohio (Fairfield County), Carroll — 7-23 — Junction of the Ohio Erie and Lancaster Lateral Canals
Canals were an important means of transportation when Carroll was founded in 1829 by William Tong and his brother Oliver, who chose this site because it was where the proposed intersection of the Lancaster Lateral Canal and Ohio-Erie Canal would be . . . — Map (db m80624) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Canal Winchester — 26-25 — Canal Winchester and the Ohio and Erie Canal
[Marker Front]: You are standing on the site of Ohio and Erie Canal. The canal helped to open the interior of Ohio to trade and settlement and played a part in Winchester's prosperity during the mid-1800s. Local farmers exported grain from . . . — Map (db m12530) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Groveport — 11-25 — Groveport Log House
Built on Main Street, circa 1815, this two story log residence was later sided. In 1974 during new post office site preparation, the log structure was discovered and moved to present location along Ohio-Erie Canal route. In adjoining Groveport . . . — Map (db m12521) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Groveport — 40-25 — Ohio and Erie Canal in Groveport / Scioto Valley Interurban
Ohio and Erie Canal in Groveport The Ohio and Erie Canal was Ohio's solution to the lack of a reliable and fast transportation system to move goods to outside markets. The canal opened in the then unplatted village of Groveport on September 25, . . . — Map (db m12659) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Groveport — 96-25 — Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22
The Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22, constructed from 1830-1831, is the only canal lock in Groveport. Constructed by W.H. Richardson as part of his $2,937 bid to build section 52 of the canal, the sandstone lock is 117 feet long and ten feet deep and . . . — Map (db m13724) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Buckeye Lake — 13-45 — Buckeye Lake
[Marker Front]: Formed by the retreating glacier more than 14,000 years ago, Buckeye Lake first existed as a shallow, swampy pond, named "Buffalo Swamp" by Ohio Company explorer Christopher Gist in 1751. Beginning in 1826 the State . . . — Map (db m12959) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Hebron — 1-45 — Hebron
Located at the crossing of the Ohio and Erie Canal and the National Road, Hebron was a favored commercial and agricultural center for Licking County in the nineteenth century. Only four miles north of the city Governor DeWitt Clinton of New York . . . — Map (db m13878) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Hebron — Hebron The Historic National Road in Ohio Transportation Crossroad
Where the Water Met the Road While the citizens of St. Clairsville, in eastern Ohio, celebrated the groundbreaking for the National Road on July 4, 1825, construction began on the Ohio & Erie Canal on the same day at Licking Summit (now . . . — Map (db m97542) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Hebron — Hebron Mill The Historic National Road in Ohio
The village of Hebron lost its first mill to a fire in 1881. By the mid 1880s, a new mill took its place and continued operation into the 1990s, making it the longest running business in Hebron. by 1891, the Hebron Mill converted from water power . . . — Map (db m97543) HM
Ohio (Pickaway County), Lockbourne — 30-25 — Ohio-Erie Canal and Locks / The Columbus Feeder Canal
Ohio-Erie Canal and Locks The Ohio-Erie Canal was built between 1825 and 1832 and extended 308 miles from Lake Erie at Cleveland to the Ohio River at Portsmouth. The greatest engineering achievement in Ohio up to that time, the canal gave the . . . — Map (db m12902) HM
Ohio (Stark County), Canal Fulton — 1-76 — Ohio and Erie Canal
Sounds of boat horns and brawling packet crews resounded for many years at this lock and 142 others on the Ohio and Erie Canal. The canal was a 308-mile water toll road built between 1825 and 1832 from Lake Erie at Cleveland to the Ohio River at . . . — Map (db m68688) HM
Ohio (Tuscarawas County), Dover — 5-79 — The Ohio and Erie Canal / Canal Dover Toll House 1825 - 1913
The Ohio-Erie Canal 1825-1913 Seeking an alternate transportation route to distant markets, many farmers and manufacturers in Ohio wanted to connect the Ohio River to Lake Erie with a canal. Beginning in Cleveland the Ohio-Erie Canal ran south, . . . — Map (db m15190) HM
Ohio (Tuscarawas County), New Philadelphia — 5-79 — The Ohio-Erie Canal In Tuscarawas County
1825–1913. Seeking an alternative transportation route to distant markets, many farmers and manufacturers in Ohio wanted to connect the Ohio River to Lake Erie with a canal. Beginning in Cleveland the Ohio-Erie Canal ran south, the length of . . . — Map (db m293) HM
Ohio (Tuscarawas County), Tuscarawas — 12-79 — The Ohio & Erie Canal in Warwick Township
The greatest engineering achievement in Ohio during the pre-railroad era, the Ohio & Erie Canal traversed nearly six miles of Warwick Township. Completed in 1830, the canal brought prosperity to the village of Trenton (now Tuscarawas) and to . . . — Map (db m294) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement