Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Ohio, Delaware County Historical Society Historical Markers

Markers erected by the Delaware County Historical Society.
 
Camp Delaware Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., October 21, 2008
Camp Delaware Marker
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — 2-21 — Camp Delaware 1862 - 1864
Near this site, the Union army established two camps on either side of the Olentangy River during the Civil War. Both were known as Camp Delaware. The first camp, situated on the west side of the river in the summer of 1862, was where the white . . . — Map (db m12816) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Cornstalk's Visit and the Negotiators' Escape
In the late days of September, 1776, negotiators William Wilson and Joseph Nicholson left Fort Pitt which is today Pittsburgh. Their goal was to convince the tribes north and west of the Ohio not to join forces with the British. For support, the . . . — Map (db m93221) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Courthouse Hill / The Plum Orchard
(Side A): Courthouse Hill In the early years of Delaware, this area was known as Briar Hill. It is the highest elevation in the city. Situated facing south and approximately at the center of the existing Courthouse, was the site of the first . . . — Map (db m18247) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Edwards Gymnasium / Home of High School Basketball Tournaments
Edwards Gymnasium The gym was dedicated February 22, 1906. It is named in memory of OWU Trustee John Edwards whose initial gift made its construction possible. At the time of its completion it was considered the largest and finest basketball . . . — Map (db m12854) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Oak Grove Cemetery and Arboretum
In 1850, this eighty acre tract known as the Kilbourne farm was purchased for use as a cemetery. The “Old Burial Grounds,” located where Ohio Wesleyan's Selby Stadium now stands, had deteriorated and most of those remains were removed to . . . — Map (db m12851) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Old City Hall and Opera House
The old city hall opened in 1882. Its clock tower rose to a height of 92ft. The first floor housed administrative offices, the police department, the jail, and the fire department. A 1,050 seat auditorium known as the Opera House graced the second . . . — Map (db m12852) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Site of Pluggy's Town
Near this location was a large Mingo town of significance during the Revolutionary period of the 1770's. The chief was Te-caugh-ye-te-righ-to, known to the settlers as Pluggy. The village consisted of perhaps 300 inhabitants. Among them were . . . — Map (db m93220) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Site of the First Ohio State Football Game
On the morning of May 3, 1890, Ohio Wesleyan University and The Ohio State University met at this location for a football game. It was the first game in Ohio State football history. Ohio Wesleyan had invited the newly organized team to a contest as . . . — Map (db m18316) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — The Delaware County Fair / Little Brown Jug
Side A The Delaware County Fairground June 28, 1833 a meeting of the citizens of Delaware County convened under an act of the Ohio Legislature to establish The Delaware County Agricultural Society. Officers were elected with Milo Pettibone . . . — Map (db m18301) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — University Hall and Gray Chapel
University Hall was completed in 1893. It is constructed of Amherst Sandstone. The bell tower rises to a height of 148 feet. The structure houses administrative offices, classrooms, and the legendary Gray Chapel. Among the celebrities who have . . . — Map (db m12845) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement