Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

South Carolina Heritage Corridor Historical Markers

Designated by Congress in 1996 as a National Heritage Area, the Heritage Corridor runs from the foothills of Oconee County in the northwestern corner of the state, along the Savannah River, through the Edisto River Basin, to the port city of Charleston.
 
Abbeville Square Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brian Scott, July 19, 2008
Abbeville Square Marker
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Abbeville Square — A Stately County Square
The heart of Abbeville's Historic District is the magnificent tree-shaded Court Square. Located here is the replica of the original Confederate Monument erected in August, 1906 by the Daughters of the Confederacy, an old iron bell once used as . . . — Map (db m12097) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Parsons Mountain — Land Renewed
At 832 feet, Parsons Mountain holds the title of the highest point in the general geographic area surrounding Parsons Mountain. Mr. James Parsons, the mountain's namesake, acquired it through a land grant in 1772. In the mid 1800s, gold was . . . — Map (db m43727) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Trinity Episcopal Church — Abbeville's Gothic Revival Church
Trinity Episcopal Church is the oldest standing church in Abbeville. With its classic Gothic architecture and 125-foot steeple, it dominates the Abbeville skyline. Built by a congregation made prosperous by the economy of cotton in the antebellum . . . — Map (db m11921) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Calhoun Falls — Richard B. Russell Dam — Flood Control, Electric Power, and Recreation
On the upper Savannah River near Elberton, Ga., and Calhoun Falls, S.C. lies the Richard B. Russell Dam and Lake -- authorized for construction by the Flood Control Act of 1966 for the purposes of hydropower generation, recreation and flood . . . — Map (db m15876) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Donalds — The Donalds Grange No. 497 — Patrons of Husbandry and Literacy
The Donalds Grange No. 497 is significant for both its architecture and its contribution to the social development of the community and Abbeville County. For these reasons, Donalds Grange No. 497, Patrons of Husbandry, was entered into the . . . — Map (db m12112) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — Abbeville County — Rich in History and Natural Resources
Named after the city in France, Abbeville County has a rich historical and cultural heritage. The town of Abbeville, the county seat, is known for its quaint tree-lined square with bricked streets; the famous 1908 historic Opera House and its . . . — Map (db m14843) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — Erskine College — South Carolina's First Four-Year Church-Related College
Erskine College was founded in 1839 by the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church as South Carolina's first four-year church-related college. The college grew out of an academy for men established in 1835 and seminary founded two years later at . . . — Map (db m14793) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Aiken County Museum
Life in Aiken The coming of the railroad was a major factor in the birth of Aiken. The all-important cotton crop and Graniteville fabrics could get to market. Add to life in Aiken a lady lonesome for her wealthy friends up North and you . . . — Map (db m63263) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Wagener — Wagener Museum
Prior to 1887 the area now known as the Wagener Community was called Guntersville, and its residents were primarily engaged in agriculture, for their livelihood. The coming of the railroad, "The Swamp Rabbit", in 1887 drew farmers, timberjacks, . . . — Map (db m40428) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Belton — Belton / Historic Belton
Belton The Tennis Capital of South Carolina Tennis Anyone? Long know as the Tennis Capital of South Carolina, Belton's tennis history can be traced back over 110 years. An 1892 edition of the Anderson Intelligencer . . . — Map (db m35564) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Honea Path — Honea Path — Pathways of a Southern Town
[Front]: Native American Trade and the "Honey Path" Town historians long debated the origin of the unusual name "Honea Path." Some attribute it to settler William Honey, who purchased 200 acres northeast of town in 1788. Others say . . . — Map (db m11252) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Iva — Iva — A Small Railroad Town
A "Great" Town In 1886, the Savannah Valley railroad made its way into lower Anderson County. The depot town of Cook's Station was named for Dr. Augustus G. Cook, a local physician and businessman. The town was later called Iva in honor of . . . — Map (db m43944) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Hunter's Store — An Upcountry General Store
Located in the center of Historic Pendleton (1790), the building now housing the Pendleton District Commission was constructed in 1850 as a general store for Jesse Lewis. The business first came into the Hunter family in 1870 when it became . . . — Map (db m13903) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Woodburn Historic House
Memories of the Plantation Era -- Owners and Tenants Owners Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, elected Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina in 1822, made Woodburn Historic House his summer home around 1830. A graduate of Harvard . . . — Map (db m15361) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Williamston — Williamston — Saratoga of the South
A South Carolina "Spa" In 1852, following the discovery of a "healing" spring and the announcement that the railroad was going to be running through the area, the Town of Williamston was chartered. In time, lots were sold for houses to be . . . — Map (db m15719) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Bamberg — Bamberg
Hooten- Black House & Bamberg's National Historic District The Hooten- Black House is the hub of art and history in Bamberg County where you will find changing art exhibitions, concerts, and lectures on Bamburg County history. The Hooten- . . . — Map (db m32840) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Denmark — Denmark Depot
Denmark Beginnings The town was originally known as Graham's Turnout, when the South Carolina Canal & Railroad line came through in the 1830s. There were 16turnouts, or pull-offs for passing, on the line with watering tanks and . . . — Map (db m14526) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Bamberg County
[Photo of guest room] Ehrhardt Hall This restored 19th century mansion located in the town of Ehrhardt is a bed and breakfast and features six guest rooms with amenities including fireplaces. [Photo of Sinclair . . . — Map (db m27445) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Conrad Ehrhardt Railroad Park
Conrad Ehrhardt was born in Weiterade Kuhrhessen Germany on December 13, 1832 and left home at the age of 19 to come to America. He came with only 25 cents in his pocket and skills that he aquired from the mills, in which he had worked, in Germany. . . . — Map (db m7602) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Ehrhardt Hall — Bed and Breakfast
Ehrhardt Hall was built in 1903 with Victorian style architecture. The owner, Dr. James Haynes Roberts, born March 2, 1863, was originally from the Allendale area. Following in his father's footsteps, who was a self taught dentist and 2nd lieutenant . . . — Map (db m20908) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Rivers Bridge State Historic Site
( Left side ) The Legacy of Total War From January to March in 1865 more than 60,000 Union soldiers led by General William Tecumseh Sherman marched across South Carolina. They brought total war to the state, . . . — Map (db m15646) HM
South Carolina (Barnwell County), Blackville — Blackville
A Glimpse into Blackville's Past The South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company began construction of what was to be the longest continuous rail for commercially operated steam locomotives in 1830. The track was to connect Charleston and . . . — Map (db m46791) HM
South Carolina (Barnwell County), Healing Springs — Healing Springs
God's Acre By tradition, Healing Springs got its name during the Revolutionary War. In 1781 after a bloody battle at nearby Windy Hill Creek, four wounded Tories sent inland from Charleston by General Banastre "The Butcher" Tarleton were . . . — Map (db m46928) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Jacksonboro — Pon Pon Chapel — Serving the Community for Many Years
Here on the old stage coach road connecting Charleston to Savannah, the Anglican Pon Pon Chapel of Ease served the Jacksonborough community for many years. The parish of St. Bartholomew's was established in 1706, however its first . . . — Map (db m66489) HM
South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — Linking Places and People — Then and Now
South Carolina began with only one settlement, Charles Towne. Soon colonists were pushing into the frontier. As plantations arose, merchants, doctors and craftsmen settled towns like Dorchester to support them. Trade routes - rivers, paths and roads . . . — Map (db m22604) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Oakley Park Museum — Witness to Edgefield's Social and Political History
Oakley Park was built in 1835 by a prosperous Edgefield planter, Daniel Bird. In 1841, Bird's son was tragically killed in a shoot-out in front of the Edgefield County Courthouse. Suffering great sorrow at his loss, Bird sold his home and left town . . . — Map (db m12410) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Welcome to Historic Edgefield — Home to Ten South Carolina Governors
This Court House Square, which was identified as the site of the courthouse and jail for the newly established Edgefield District in 1785, has been the center of life here for over two centuries. Today the present courthouse, which was built in . . . — Map (db m12638) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Trenton — Bettis Academy — 19th Century Education for African Americans
Bettis Academy and Junior College, a private school for African Americans, was founded in 1881 by Rev. Alexander Bettis, a former slave who was taught to read by his owner's wife, but was never taught to write. A Baptist Minister, he established . . . — Map (db m12846) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Trenton — Horn's Creek Church — Early Edgefield County History
Religion Founded in 1768 as a result of a religious revival sweeping the American colonies known as the "Great Awakening," Horn's Creek Baptist church was one of the first churches established in the South Carolina backcountry. The church . . . — Map (db m12782) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Hobcaw Barony — A Woman's Gift
The 17,500-acre Hobcaw Barony is one of the few remaining undeveloped tracts of land on the Waccamaw Neck. Once part of a 1716 land grant, its name comes from Hobcaw, the Native American word meaning between the waters, and . . . — Map (db m102745) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Kaminski House Museum — a City's Legacy
Overlooking the Sampit River, the Kaminski House Museum is pre-Revolutionary War and one of over 60 antebellum landmarks in the Georgetown Historic District. The house was built by Paul Trapier, a prominent local merchant, considered to be one of . . . — Map (db m66371) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — The Rice Museum
The rice culture in Georgetown County is one of the most colorful chapters in American History. Through maps, dioramas, artifacts, "The Garden of Gold" video produced by the museum, and other exhibits, the Rice Museum tells the story of the rice . . . — Map (db m68021) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — Emerald Farm — A Working Goat Farm
Emerald Farm, 'a very special place,' is part of an original 450-acre working farm dating from the late 1800s. In keeping with its agricultural heritage, Emerald Farm continues to raise livestock, harvest hay, pecans, herbs and fruit on a small . . . — Map (db m16531) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Hodges — Park’s / Greenwood County
Park's: America's Most Trusted Gardening Resource Building a Family Tradition Since 1868 It all started in 1867 when 15 year-old George Watt Park, a very enterprising lad, passed around to friends and neighbors a list of seeds he had . . . — Map (db m11628) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Lake Greenwood — A Changing Landscape
A Lake is Formed The Great Depression of the 1930s altered the economy and landscape of Greenwood County. Farmers were impoverished, land values declined, and local textile mills struggled to survive. President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New . . . — Map (db m30443) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Ninety Six National Historic Site / Greenwood County
Ninety Six National Historic Site A Brief History of Ninety Six National Historic Site The Ninety Six National Historic Site is an area of unique historical and archaeological significance. In the late 1700s traders gave the town its . . . — Map (db m11129) HM
South Carolina (Laurens County), Ware Shoals — Irvin Pitts Park / Ware Shoals
Irvin Pitts Park Saluda River Natural Resources Irvin Pitts Park is a corridor of land sandwiched between the Saluda River and a canal, which conducts water from the dam to the hydroelectric powerhouse that supplied electricity for . . . — Map (db m31268) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Bordeaux — John De La Howe School — Still Caring...Still Dreaming
The establishment of John de la Howe School, the second oldest institution in the Carolinas, is one of the first examples of individual philanthropy that is found in the history of child-caring institution in the United States. The purpose of Dr. . . . — Map (db m20887) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Clarks Hill — Thurmond Dam and Lake / McCormick County
Thurmond Dam and Lake A Magnificent Recreation and Energy Resource J. Strom Thurmond Dam and Lake offers a variety of recreational activities. You may enjoy boating, swimming and fishing on Thurmond Lake, the largest U.S. Army Corps of . . . — Map (db m42127) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), McCormick — Dorn Mill — Production of Cotton Byproducts
To persons familiar with the history of McCormick, the Dorn Mill stands as a symbol of the influence of the Dorn family in the region. It rests on land previously owned by Gold Mine "Billy" Dorn and Cyrus McCormick, inventor of the reaper. . . . — Map (db m11391) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), McCormick — McCormick County / MACK
McCormick County: Gem of the Freshwater Coast McCormick County was named or Cyrus McCormick, a 19th century agricultural equipment inventor, who purchased Dorn's Gold Mine (Town of McCormick) after the Civil War. While it is one of the last . . . — Map (db m11398) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Mt. Carmel — Mt. Carmel Historical District — Village of Remembrance
Mount Carmel, located on the northwestern portion of McCormick County, takes visitors on a trip back in time. The Mount Carmel Historic District is a picturesque example of a late 19th century village. In the early 1880s Mount Carmel turned . . . — Map (db m11665) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Willington — Willington — A South Carolina Railroad Village
The community of Willington is significant as a reminder of the role of the railroad in community development in rural South Carolina at the close of the nineteenth century and beginning of the twentieth century. During this period Willington was . . . — Map (db m11458) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Mountain Rest — Andrew Pickens Ranger District / Oconee County
Andrew Pickens Ranger District Side The Ranger District was named for Andrew Pickens, an able commander of South Carolina's rebel militia during the American Revolution. Born of Scots-Irish immigrants near Paxtang, Pennsylvania, Pickens . . . — Map (db m14210) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Mountain Rest — Walhalla State Fish Hatchery — The CCC and Resource Conservation
The historic buildings below are products of the great Depression-era Works Progress Administration (WPA) and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The WPA, the CCC, and President Franklin D. Roosevelt's other New deal programs provided jobs to . . . — Map (db m14217) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Seneca — Andrew Pickens — Backcountry Revolutionary General and Legislator
Andrew Pickens The county and its county seat are both named in honor of General Andrew Pickens, hero of the American Revolution, state legislator and Congressman. The Pickens family arrived in the Carolina backcountry in the mid-18th . . . — Map (db m13205) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Seneca — Old Pickens Church — Sole Remnant of Town of Pickens
Old Pickens Church A Presbyterian congregation was probably organized in the 1840s. It is impossible to fix an exact date because the church records were destroyed in a fire around the turn of the 20th century. Construction on the church . . . — Map (db m13179) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Issaqueena Falls — Dramatic Cascades of the Upcountry
The Legend Local stories about thus site involve variations from the poem, "Cateechee of Keowee,' a story of love and adversity penned by J.W. Daniels, A.M., in 1898. The following is a summary of Rev. Daniels' poem, which thrust Issaqueena . . . — Map (db m14193) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Oconee Heritage Center — Bringing History to Life
Located along the edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the history of Oconee County dates back to when the area was predominately inhabited by the Cherokee. Following the American Revolution, and after settlement increased in South Carolina's . . . — Map (db m64805) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Oconee Station / Oconee County
Oconee Station The South Carolina Frontier Experience Oconee station & the William Richards House This site was a frontier outpost and a meeting place between European American and Cherokees of this region during the late . . . — Map (db m14372) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Patriot's Hall: Oconee Veterans Museum — Lest We Forget — South Carolina National Heritage Corridor
Built in 1933 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, the “Old Rock Building” was constructed from rock found at nearby historic Stumphouse Tunnel. The building is owned by Oconee County. Before becoming the home to the Oconee Veteran's . . . — Map (db m46853) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Stumphouse Mountain Tunnel — The Mountain that Defeated the Rail Line
The history of Stumphouse Tunnel is as rich as the surrounding land and carries with it stories of dreams, failures, hardships, and opportunities. The dream was to develop a railroad line from Charleston, South Carolina to Cincinnati, Ohio. The . . . — Map (db m15041) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Branchville — Branchville Depot
The first settlement of the town of Branchville was 1735 about one mile southeast of the present town. Almost 100 years later, the present town grew from 170 acres of land purchased from the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company. It was . . . — Map (db m16536) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Branchville — Orangeburg County
(Left text) Parish House Built in the 1830's it is thought to be the oldest of the plantation summer homes in the area. Acquired by the Church of the Epiphany across the street, it was used for various church activities. Now it . . . — Map (db m16801) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Holly Hill — Holly Hill
The rural 19th Century village began as a sparsely settled community in historic St. James, Goose Creek Parish of the Charleston District. Following the revolutionary War, increased numbers of settlers entered the parish's backcountry where it . . . — Map (db m22505) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Central — The Central History Museum — A Merchant Family's Story
The Central Heritage Society purchased the Morgan House in 1995 as headquarters for the Central History Museum. Several of the rooms are almost exactly as Jessie and Jennie Morgan left them, while others focus on Central, South Carolina history. . . . — Map (db m15559) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Central — The Central History Museum — A Southern Town's Past and Future
Railroads and Farming In 1873, the town of Central was established as a train headquarters where engines were changed. The town was named for its central location between Atlanta and Charlotte. Central rapidly filled with dispatchers, . . . — Map (db m15578) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Clemson — Fort Hill — The Beginning of a Legacy
Fort Hill plantation, home of John C. Calhoun and later Thomas Green Clemson, enjoys a rich history with Clemson University, the state of South Carolina and the United States. John C. Calhoun, former U.S. House of Representative and . . . — Map (db m51284) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Clemson — Hanover House — Little by Little
The Hanover House was built in 1716 in Berkeley County, S.C. for French Huguenot Paul de St. Julien. St. Julien honored his French heritage in the mortar of one chimney by inscribing "Pue a Pue" from the French proverb "Little by Little the bird . . . — Map (db m64780) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Clemson — Hopewell Plantation — Home of General Andrew Pickens
Hopewell Plantation was home to Revolutionary War General Andrew Pickens and his wife, Rebecca Calhoun Pickens. On July 16, 1785, Pickens acquired a grant of 573 acres on the Seneca River. By August 1, 1785, Pickens received an additional 560 acres . . . — Map (db m54892) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Clemson — Hopewell Treaty Site — The Hatchet Shall be Buried
The Hopewell Treaties were the first formal treaties after the battles between the United States and the Southern Native American tribes. Gen. Andrew Pickens, also known as "Skyagunsta" or "Border Wizard Owl," negotiated the treaties with . . . — Map (db m54916) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Clemson — The Old Stone Church — A Frontier House of Worship
Significance The Old Stone Church, along with the visitor sites of Pendleton Village, Fort Hill Plantation and Oconee Station, reflect the area;s transition from frontier to antebellum South Carolina society. The Church's early membership . . . — Map (db m14459) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Clemson — The Old Stone Church — The Cemetery
A Few of the People Interred Here Buried within the cemetery grounds are people involved in the Indian campaigns of the late Colonial Period, soldiers and patriots of the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Indian/Creek War of 1815-16, . . . — Map (db m14468) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Easley — Golden Creek Mill — Water Power
The original mill on Golden Creek was built across the creek from the present day Golden Creek Mill by William O'Dell in 1815. The ruins are still visible today. In a deed dated 1836, the property was transferred to John Arial and listed as . . . — Map (db m15527) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Pickens — Hagood Mill Historic Site
[Front]: During most of its life, the Hagood Mill was a busy center of commerce. The Products of Industry Census records Hagood Mill as having produced 2,500 bushels of meal (140,000 pounds) and 200 bushels of flours (11,200 pounds) in the . . . — Map (db m20117) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Pickens — Pickens — The Town That Moved
The town of Pickens was established as the center of government for the newly established Pickens District. The county was originally part of the Pickens District, today's Pickens and Oconee Counties. Its center of government, Pickens Court House, . . . — Map (db m11774) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Pickens — The Hagood-Mauldin House — The Irma Morris Museum of Fine Art
The Hagoods and the Mauldins James E. Hagood, son of local farmer and landowner Benjamin Hagood, built this house in 1856 in the town of Pickens Court House, about 14 miles west of here. The house was moved to this site in 1868. James . . . — Map (db m11783) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Pickens — The Pickens County Museum — American Heroes and Everyday Folk — Living Music Traditions
Pickens County Museum of Art and History The Pickens County Museum collects, preserves, and exhibits local artifacts. It features exhibits on the Cherokee Indians, General Andrew Pickens, Vice President John C. Calhoun, pioneer life, . . . — Map (db m11789) HM
South Carolina (Saluda County), Ridge Spring — Ridge Spring — Small Town Living
Ridge Spring is populated by descendants of the early settlers as well as others who have discovered its beauty and friendly people. Although a public road opened in 1770 connecting the village to nearby cities, and a 1771 document reveals that . . . — Map (db m41519) HM
South Carolina (Saluda County), Saluda — Flat Grove — The Bonham House
Flat Grove was built in the 1770's by Jacob Smith of hand-hewn, heart-pine logs covered with clapboard. Alamo hero James Butler Bonham, son of James and Sophia Smith Bonham and grandson of Jacob Smith, was born in 1807 in the house, which is today . . . — Map (db m41597) HM
South Carolina (Saluda County), Saluda — Historic Saluda — A Town with Charm
Built in 1936 in the Art Deco style, Saluda Theater, once the central attraction for local moviegoers closed in 1982. Since the theater's restoration began in 1988, it has become the county's civic center for activities. Its excellent acoustics and . . . — Map (db m41613) HM
South Carolina (Saluda County), Saluda — Saluda County Stockyard and Livestock Market
Built in 1957, the Stockyard has provided a livestock market for over two generations of farmers. Ralph T. McClendon and Georgia Senator Sam McGill opened this ultra-modern auction barn in Saluda. One newspaper article stated that the barn "is the . . . — Map (db m41641) HM

72 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement