Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Postal Mail and Philately Historical Markers

Postal history, stamps, air mail, but not the Pony Express, which has its own series under Roads and Trails.
 
Post Office image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, August 3, 2010
Post Office
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Post Office/Le bureau de poste
[English:] Prime Minister Laurier himself recognized the need to link the Klondike with the rest of the country. In 1900, he urged that the building of a Post Office “...be proceeded with at once.” As the first substantial building . . . — Map (db m44936) HM
Italy, Lazio (Metropolitan City of Rome), Castel Gandolfo — World’s First Mailbox
Città di Castel Gandolfo Il 23 Novembre 1820 Il Consiglio Comunale di Castel Gandolfo Composto da Paolo Mallozzi - Luogotenente Marco Troiani - Capo Pretore Candido Marazzi - Pretore Filippo Albenzi - Pretore E dai . . . — Map (db m32347) HM
Philippines, Manila, Ermita — Philippine Post Office
In Tagalog: Itinatag bilang tanggapan ng koreo sa Maynila 1767; Itinaas bilang distritong Pangkoreo ng Espanya, 1779; Nag panibagong tatag, 5 Disyembere 1837; Naging pangunahing sentrong pangkoreo, 1838, naging kasapi ng Universal Postal . . . — Map (db m25080) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Dothan — The Naming of Dothan
In 1858, the tiny Poplar Head community requested a post office. Since there was a town called Poplar Spring in the state, the postal authorities arbitrarily assigned the name Dothan to the new post office to prevent misdirected mail. Early maps and . . . — Map (db m41137) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Lacey's Spring — Lacey's Spring
Abundant water and fertile land in this area south of the Tennessee River attracted pioneer settlement in the early 1800s. The community established here by three Virginia-born brothers, Hopkins, John, and Theophilus Lacy, took on their name and . . . — Map (db m27611) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — The Historic Troy Post Office(Circa 1910)
Side A Chiseled in the cornerstone are the words, Franklin MacVeagh, Secretary of the Treasury, James Knox Taylor, Supervising Architect, MCMX. This Classical Revival-style Post Office remained in service until 1980. The building . . . — Map (db m38944) HM
Alabama (Wilcox County), Catherine — Postal Routes of 1820
Two miles north of this point was the intersection of two important postal routes of early Alabama, the Saint Stephens-Cahawba Road and the Tuskaloosa-Prairie Bluff Road. — Map (db m38495) HM
Alabama (Winston County), Arley — Nathan, AlabamaOld Country Town
Post office established May 9, 1908. Named for the first postmaster, Nathan B. Langley, who was succeeded by Robert C. Walker and David H. Hamner. Post office discontinued June 30, 1915; housed in a general store operated on this site by Warren . . . — Map (db m42860) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Pearce — Old Pearce Post Office
A Post Office was established in the Pearce Camp in 1896. At that time the Soto Bros and Chattman Store served as the first Post Office location with Thomas Chattman as the first appointed postmaster. The Post Office was later relocated to this . . . — Map (db m64204) HM
Arizona (Cochise county), Sierra Vista — Carmichael General Store/U.S. Post OfficeBill's Trading Post/G & M Stronghold Steakhouse — Daisy Mae's Steakhouse
335 North Garden Avenue Built in 1905 This is perhaps the oldest building still standing in Sierra Vista. Mr. John Reilly homesteaded the property and received the patent for the land in March of 1911. John Reilly and his wife Ellen sold . . . — Map (db m27895) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Old Post Office
Beginning in 1926, this vintage 1907 building served as the U.S. Post Office for 36 years. This was one of the many structures built by Cormick E. Boyce, who arrived in 1881 as a freight hauler and became one of the area's leading merchants and . . . — Map (db m33368) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — A & C Mercantile Company
This building was built prior to 1912. The mercantile was known to do business with the A & C and Swansea railroads in 1916. It has been open continuously since that time. Bouse postmaster Cora L. Johnston moved the US Post Office to the store in . . . — Map (db m39504) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Wickenburg — The Old Brick Post Office
The Old Brick Post Office Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m29471) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — U. S. Post OfficeBuilt 1935
This building has been placed on The National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior. U.S. Post Office Built 1935 A monument to massive federal building programs during the 1930's, . . . — Map (db m29409) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Red Rock — 2 — Red Rock Post Office
Established June 14, 1887. A small conical red peak gave Red Rock its name. Red Rock was a major cattle shipping point via the S.P. Railroad. This post office celebrated its Centennial in June 1987. — Map (db m31190) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — U.S. Post Office Building
Constructed in 1915, this building served as the post office on the Cotton Highway until 1936. County Judge S.L. Gladish made sure that the Post Office contained European tiles like those used in the then-new courthouse. The building later housed a . . . — Map (db m36454) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — WPA Post Office
The Works Progress Administration built this building, dedicated on May 29, 1936, as a new post office. The structure served the citizens of Osceola and the Cotton Highway as a post office until the Postal Service relocated to Johnson Street. . . . — Map (db m36616) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — United States Post OfficeOscar Wenderoth, Architect; 1914 — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1980 Berkeley’s elegant Main Post Office is representative of the Second Renaissance Revival style, also called Neo-Classical Revival. Government buildings constructed in this era were designed to . . . — Map (db m54260) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — Site of First Post Office
Site of the First Post Office In Niles Established 1873 William Synder Postmaster Annual Salary $12.00 — Map (db m63809) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — The Clayton Post Office
The Clayton Post Office, established on October 4, 1861, is one of the oldest post offices in continuous operation in California. Ensuring its continuation in Clayton was one reason for incorporating the city in 1964. During the past 140 . . . — Map (db m24534) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Coloma Post Office
Coloma’s first post office opened in 1849 when, against his wishes, John T. Little was appointed postmaster. In 1851 Coloma received tri-weekly mail service from Sacramento City. The post office, first designated as Culloma, California Territory, . . . — Map (db m17180) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Burbank — Burbank Post Office
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historical Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m55762) HM
California (Mono County), Topaz — Topaz Post Office
Near this location, records show establishment of a post office at Topaz, Mono County, California, February 20, 1885. Discontinued in 1922, it was re-established in June, 1926. Nearby could also be found a school, way-station, blacksmith shop, and . . . — Map (db m50086) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 2, 4 & 16 — Original Circus Site / First Post Office / Country Stores
Original Circus Site The Escalante Circus placed its tent here for its annual performance. The circus parade started here, moved east to Ward, north to Warner, west to Wintersberg (now in Huntington Beach) and returned. First Post . . . — Map (db m59053) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Auburn Post OfficeHistorical Landmark
. . . — Map (db m12358) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Goleta — Earle Ovington Terminal
Santa Barbara Airport Terminal is hereby named Earle Ovington Terminal in recognition of his outstanding contributions to aviation and his part in the development of aviation in Santa Barbara. Earle Ovington was the first pilot to carry air . . . — Map (db m67194) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Coyote Post Office
Now a relic from the days when Monterey road served as cattle trail; stage route, and Mission road between San Francisco, Santa Clara, and Monterey, Coyote Post Office was once the oldest surviving and functioning post office in Santa Clara County . . . — Map (db m42293) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Main Post Office
This beautiful building was designed by Ralph Wyckoff to house San José’s Main Post Office. It was built as a W.P.A. project in 1933 and is a prime example of Depression-Era federal construction. The terra cotta work on the building’s exterior is . . . — Map (db m30091) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 854 — United States Post Office
Constructed in 1892 this was the first federal building in San José. It served as U.S. post office from 1892 to 1933. Designed by Willoughby Edbrooke and constructed of locally quarried sandstone, this Romanesque style structure, built by the United . . . — Map (db m3611) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Sunnyvale — F.E. Cornell’s Country Store
This building was erected in October of 1897 as F.E. Cornell’s Country Emporium, the first commercial building in town. In December 1897, a corner of the store was set aside as a post office and officially designated “Encinal”. Since . . . — Map (db m54024) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — Santa Cruz Main Post Office1912
James Knox Taylor, Architect Italian Renaissance Style State’s Oldest In-Use P.O. Bldg. Historic Landmark Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History — Map (db m62529) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Watsonville — Porter BuildingSanta Cruz County Historical Trust Landmark
1903 Porter Bldg. Wm. Weeks, Architect Designed for Warren Porter Housed the Post Office until 1913 — Map (db m29771) HM
California (Shasta County), Old Station — Old Station Post Office
In the early 1900’s Mel & Mary Shearin had a homestead here. Mel ran pack trains and guided visitors to the area in to the wilderness. After this area suffered heavy devastation – the 1915 eruption of Mt. Lassen and the resulting flood . . . — Map (db m8906) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Mount Shasta City — Berryvale Post Office
Site of Berryvale Post Office. It operated from 1870 to 1887. Postmasters were JH Sisson, GL Lamphere, ET Keyser, Sophia J Fellows. The post office moved to the railroad station in 1887 and became known as Sisson in 1924. It was renamed Mt. Shasta. . . . — Map (db m62786) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Milford — Early Post Office Site
Site of Store In Which Was Located An Early Post Office 1824 - 1841 — Map (db m54715) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Harrington — K-61 — First Rural Free Delivery Route
For many years the National Grange and other organizations interested in the welfare of citizens residing in rural areas advocated the establishment of rural free delivery of mail. In October 1896, the Post Office Department introduced experimental . . . — Map (db m37476) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Seaford — SC-155 — Old Seaford Post Office
A post office was established in this community in 1827. For many years it did a large shipping business by water. The coming of the railroad in the 1850s resulted in an even greater demand for postal services. For more than a century the post . . . — Map (db m4991) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — U. S. Post Office DepartmentAriel Rios Federal Building — Woodrow Wilson Plaza
Inscription above the frieze, center, west side entablature: The Post Office Department, in its ceaseless labors, pervades every channel of commerce and every theatre of human enterprise, and while visiting, as it does kindly every . . . — Map (db m49587) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Federal Triangle — 5 — Appointed RoundsMake No Little Plans — Federal Triangle Heritage Trail
The imposing Ariel Rios Building opened in 1934 to house the U.S. Post Office Department. Architect William A. Delano, of the New York firm Delano and Aldrich, drew inspiration from Paris and other European cities to design the building's unusual . . . — Map (db m57207) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Federal Triangle — 4 — Preserving the PastMake No Little Plans — Federal Triangle Heritage Trail
This massive granite building was completed in 1899 to house the U.S. Post Office Department and the busy city post office. Designed by the U.S. Treasury Department architects under Willoughby J. Edbrooke, it was Washington’s first steel-frame . . . — Map (db m65355) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), NoMa/Sursum Corda — 1 — All Aboard!Hub, Home, Heart — Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail
Union Station, across First Street, was the world’s largest railroad terminal when it opened in 1907. Its construction took five years and displaced hundreds of small houses and businesses. Architect Daniel Burnham’s Beaux-Arts masterpiece, with . . . — Map (db m71678) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — General Post OfficeNational Historic Landmark
General Post Office has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the . . . — Map (db m28536) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), West Potomac Park — Air Mail
The world's first airplane mail to be operated as a continuously scheduled public service started from this field May 15, 1918. The route connected Washington, Philadelphia and New York. Curtiss JN 4-H airplanes with a capacity of 150 pounds of . . . — Map (db m17619) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Evinston — F-317 — Evinston Community Store and Post Office / History of Evinston, Florida
Evinston Community Store and Post Office The Evinston community store, originally a warehouse, was built of heart pine in 1884 by W.P. Shettleworth. it was bought by Joseph Wolfenden, who first operated it as a store. The post office, . . . — Map (db m54240) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — First Post Office Site
Here at what was once known as Hatterman's Point, in the early years, John Cornthwaite Hector settled and had a store built, completed in 1880 by carpenter U. D. Henderson of Eau Gallie. Hector was described as "tall, heavy-set, with white hair . . . — Map (db m48889) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Old Eau Gallie Post Office and Surrounding Area
This building was the Eau Gallie Post Office circa 1900-1925. Before the advent of automobiles, old-timers recall tying their horses and buggies to the big oak tree in the back. The building just south of the Post Office was Eau Gallie's first . . . — Map (db m49235) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Clearwater — F-318 — Clearwater Post Office
On October 9, 1933 Clearwater's first government post office building was dedicated on this site with Postmaster General James A. Farley officiating. The local postmaster at the time was Charles R. Lee. This Mediterranean-Revival style building . . . — Map (db m44616) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — First Settlement and Post Office
One fourth mile east from this point is the site of the first settlement in 1857 and the first Post Office in 1876 of St. Petersburg, then called Pinellas. — Map (db m50455) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — The U.S. Post OfficeErected - 1917 — 230 East First Street
The U.S. Post Office Building was built in 1917 by Algernon Blair of Montgomery, Alabama with James Wetmore serving as the supervising architect. The Post Office opened for business August 1, 1918. It is typical of buildings constructed by the U.S. . . . — Map (db m53081) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 88000974 — United States Post Office
This Property Has Been Placed On The National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m35885) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — The First Post Office1877
According to early sources, the first post office in DeLand was in the rear of the Jordan & Lancaster store on West Indiana Avenue somewhere "between Woodland Boulevard and Florida Avenue." Dr. G. W. Lancaster, DeLand's first druggist, was also the . . . — Map (db m45603) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — 044-7 — Old Cross Keys
Ante-bellum crossroads settlement & Post Office; James Reeve (1792 - 1852) Post Master & merchant. Prior to 1864 the Post Office was removed to a point between Chamblee & Doraville where, name unchanged, it was known as Cross Keys Post Office. To . . . — Map (db m14052) HM
Georgia (Elbert County), Elberton — 052-3 — Old Post Road
This Road is older than Elberton. Mail was carried over it by Post Riders before Falling Creek Church was built in 1788 and during Washington's Administration. Later a stage coach ran between Elberton & Lexington three times a week, stopping at . . . — Map (db m21902) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 160-105 — Site: Utoy Post OfficeOn Old Sandtown Rd.
Est. March 1836; discontinued July 7, 1866; a stop on the Decatur Marthasville (Atlanta) and White Hall & Sandtown stagecoach route in intervening years: Also a landmark in the movement of Federal troops from the Atlanta siege lines to Red Oak and . . . — Map (db m44413) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), Thalmann — 063-4B — Old Post Road
This road, formerly an Indian trail which paralleled the coast, was used by the Spanish and British. In 1778 it was traveled by Revolutionary soldiers who marched against Fort Tonyn. The first mail service south of Savannah was established over this . . . — Map (db m14444) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Screven Fork — Old Post Road
This road on the right was established in 1736 by Gen. James Oglethorpe. First postal route south of Savannah Stage Coach Road and line of march of Revolutionary Soldiers. Saint John's Parish Chapter Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m9002) HM
Georgia (McDuffie County), Thomson — Thomas Edward Watson1856 - 1922
To Honor Thomas Edward Watson 1856-1922 Author, Editor, Congressman, U.S. Senator And Father of Rural Free Delivery This Marker was placed in 1949 by Camp No. 1401 Woodmen of the World — Map (db m58543) HM
Georgia (Seminole County), Iron City — Site of U.S. Post Office Reynoldsville, Georgia / Reuben Arthur Reynolds
Side 1: Site of U.S. Post Office Reynoldsville, Georgia On this site was situated the Reynoldsville Post Office from April 5, 1898 to April 20, 1913. The community was named by the Post Office Department in honor of Reuben Arthur . . . — Map (db m55677) HM
Georgia (Stewart County), Richland — 128-11 — First Post Office Site
On this corner, in a long building, was Richland’s first post office and a shoe shop. John Audulph, son of Henry Audulph, first settler, was appointed postmaster of Chisholm, Apr. 16, 1839. Six months later, Nov. 26, 1839, Chisholm became Richland, . . . — Map (db m46656) HM
Georgia (Warren County), Norwood — 149-2 — The Original R.F.D.
In 1868 at Norwood six men along a five mile rural route hired Jerry Parsons, a Negro who could not read, to deliver and collect mail at their homes each day except Sundays and holidays for his food and clothing. The postmaster at Norwood each . . . — Map (db m16000) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — First Post Office
Near this site in 1833, the log store of John S.C. Hogan, was this section’s only post office, serving settler from miles around. Eastern mail was delivered once a week from Niles, Michigan. Erected by Chicago’s Charter Jubilee Authenticated . . . — Map (db m47724) HM
Kansas (Atchison County), Atchison — Atchison Post Office
On the Register of National Historic Places — Map (db m52975) HM
Kansas (Kingman County), Kingman — United States Post Office
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m62655) HM
Kansas (McPherson County), Lindsborg — Lindsborg Post OfficeBuilt in 1936
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m53559) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Post Office Oak
From 1825 to 1847 a cache at the foot of this tree served as a post office for incoming and outgoing wagon trains — Map (db m44951) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Post Office Oak
The stump before you is all that is left of a grand old oak tree that was about 270 years old when it died in 1990. The tree, which once stood 80 feet high, was located in the campground used by Santa Fe Trail travelers. It is said to have been . . . — Map (db m44960) HM
Kansas (Nemaha County), Seneca — The Seneca Post Office
Seneca, in 1938, was a city awakening from the Great Depression; the construction of a new post office was a sign that things were improving. This Colonial Revival building is noteworthy for its lobby mural painted in 1940 under a New Deal arts . . . — Map (db m55790) HM
Kansas (Russell County), Russell — U.S. Post Office / MuralCirca 1939
Placed January 1988 National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m59844) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — First Air Mail Flight
The first official air mail flight between cities in the United States landed on the LSU athletic field April 10, 1912. After taking off from the City Park Race Course in New Orleans, aviator George Mestache flew a monoplane with a 32-pound pouch of . . . — Map (db m87473) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Old Post Office
An excellent architectural example of Renaissance Eclecticism, this building was erected in 1894 as the U.S. Post Office. Renovated in 1935 it served as City Hall until 1955, when it was leased and remodeled by a private men's club. — Map (db m87789) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 12 — Post Office Square — The Museum in the Streets
The Post Office and Customs House was built in 1857. Until then offices were housed in various businesses around town. The building still has many original features, including ornate fireplaces and iron fireproof shutters. Post Office Square . . . — Map (db m59494) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Old Post Office
This structure, designed by James A. Wetmore and completed in 1932, is the second post office to occupy this site. Erected at a cost of $3.3 million, the neo-classical building, with its marble halls and paneled court-rooms, contained the most . . . — Map (db m6160) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — The First Complete County Rural Free Delivery Service
In the United States was inaugurated by the post office department on December 20, 1899 covering the whole of Carroll County and small parts of adjacent counties with Westminster as the central distributing point. — Map (db m3023) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — Blair Mansion: Silver Spring / Blair Station Post OfficeTRANSORMA/TRANSFORMA © 2005
[Panel 1:] Blair Mansion: Silver Spring Prior to the development of modern Silver Spring, this immediate area was a bucolic, rural landscape in a portion of Montgomery County then known as Sligo. The property was owned by Francis . . . — Map (db m23488) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), College Park — College Park AirportFirst Military Airport In The United States
The following notable events occurred on this airfield 1909 - Wilbur Wright instructed first flying officers of Signal Corps, U. S. Army 1911 - First Army flying school established here First bombsite tested from an aircraft 1912 - . . . — Map (db m70823) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), West Brookfield — Boston Post Road68 Miles from Boston
This road is the first mail route in North America, established in 1673 by King Charles II of England. In 1767, while Benjamin Franklin was Postmaster General, mileage was marked out with stone markers from Boston to New York City. — Map (db m18561) HM
Missouri (Greene County), Springfield — 19 — First Post Office in Springfield
Near this spot was located the first post office in Springfield, in a one story, hewed log cabin, occupied by John Polk Campbell, who was appointed postmaster, Jan. 3, 1834. Mail was brought on horseback twice a month from Harrison's Store, on . . . — Map (db m43120) HM
Nebraska (Hall County), Grand Island — Federal Building
Originally designed as a U.S. Post Office and Court House, the Grand Island Federal Building opened on November 26, 1910. It was designed by James Knox Taylor and cost $108,000. The 1935 west-wing addition was designed by local architect, Charles . . . — Map (db m53250) HM
Nebraska (Johnson County), Tecumseh — Rural Free Delivery
Site of the First Rural Free Delivery Mail Route In Nebraska On November 7, 1896 — Map (db m48212) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 170 — First Las Vegas Post Office
John Steele, one of the original L. D. S. missionaries, secured a mail grant for the Las Vegas Mission. The documents to establish the Post Office, and, appointing William Bringhurst Postmaster, were brought from Salt Lake City by Benjamin H Hulse, . . . — Map (db m29294) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — United States Post Office and Courthouse
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior United States Post Office and Courthouse c.1933 — Map (db m47746) HM
Nevada (Elko County), Elko — 107 — Elko AirportTerminus of the First Commercial Air Mail Route
On April 6, 1926, Varney Air Lines pilot Leon Cuddeback, carrying one bag of mail, landed his tiny Curtis Swallow bi-plane at Elko, Nevada, completing the first scheduled air mail run in the United States. The single engine, 90-horsepower . . . — Map (db m1371) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Mountainville — Mountainville Post
Established in 1880 by the Farley family, the Post stayed in the family for 100 years. It has served as Post Office, General Store and focal point for the Village of Mountainville. — Map (db m16670) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — United States Post OfficeWoodbridge, New Jersey 07095
The original post office of Woodbridge, established July 31, 1792, was located at the Cross Keys Tavern on the northwest corner of Amboy Avenue and Main Street. The first postmaster appointed by Postmaster General Timothy Pickering was the Honorable . . . — Map (db m19888) HM
New York (New York County), New York — The Federal Post Office1870 – 1939
On this site stood the western wall of the Federal Post Office. Designed by Alfred B. Mullet – architect of the Old Executive Office Building in Washington, D.C. – the ornate building’s broad north façade faced City Hall, while its sides . . . — Map (db m19685) HM
New York (Orange County), Village of Chester — First Post Office in Chester
Site of First Post Office in Chester was located in a small building here in 1794. James Wickham, postmaster — Map (db m22425) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — Eatons Corners Post Office & Store
Site of post office & store established about 1820 by Lemuel Eaton and run for years. He brought the mail each Saturday on horseback from Amsterdam. — Map (db m29760) HM
New York (Suffolk County), East Northport — First Larkfield Post Office
Site of first Larkfield Post Office – 1896 in Chester Smith’s Store. Moved across street in 1909. In 1910, it was re-named East Northport. In memory of Frank G. Becher — Map (db m42834) HM
North Carolina (Alamance County), Burlington — Post Office
During the 1870's and 80's, this building served as a community post office. The building has been restored and displays "pigeon holes" which are compartments used to sort the mail. The building on the right is a smoke house. It dates back to . . . — Map (db m34735) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-21 — First Post Road
The road from New England to Charleston, over which mail was first carried regularly in North Carolina, 1738-39, passed near this spot. — Map (db m65358) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Calabash — D-30 — First Post Road
The road from New England to Charleston, over which mail was first carried regularly in North Carolina, 1738–39, passed near this spot. — Map (db m6317) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 3 — Former Federal Court Building and Post OfficeDiscover Downtown Walking Tour A
When it was completed in 1887, this building was the first federal district courthouse and post office specifically built for those purposes in the city. A magnificent example of the Romanesque Revival style, the building was more than doubled in . . . — Map (db m35457) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Franklin — Preservation of Log Post Office"The Long Journey Begins"
[North face of the pavilion] It all started in June 1974 when Franklin Judge J.T. Riley decided to replace the white building pictured here. It was reputed that the right portion was where J.N.C. Schenck had his store and post office. He . . . — Map (db m26551) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Franklin — 7-83 — The Old Log Post Office
The oldest known structure standing in Franklin, the Old Log Post Office is a reminder of the links the community's earliest members maintained to the rest of the young state of Ohio and to the United States during the early nineteenth century. . . . — Map (db m26549) HM
Ohio (Williams County), Bryan — 3-86 — Bryan's Air Mail Field
Here, on September 6, 1918, Bryans’ Air Mail Field began oeprations as one of Ohio’s first official airfields ith the arrival of a survey flight to establish air mail service between New York and Chicago. Scheduled servcie began on July 1, 1919, and . . . — Map (db m3358) HM
Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Davenport — Davenport / Davenport Post Office
Davenport Established Immediately After Sept. 22, 1891 Land Run Rural Trading Crossroads and Stagecoach Stop 4 Miles South of Present Location Davenport Post Office Established March 29, 1892 Nettie Davenport, First . . . — Map (db m41777) HM
Oklahoma (Rogers County), Catoosa — A-21 — Old Mail RouteWill Rogers Memorial Highway
About ½ mile S-W is the site of Fort Spunky, a relay station on the Old Star Mail between St. Louis and California. After the War Between the States, Catoosa was founded as the post office with John Gunter Schrimsher (1835-1905) an uncle of . . . — Map (db m52004) HM
Oregon (Marion County), Turner — Turner
Platted March 8, 1871 by H. L. Turner with the building of the railroad to California. Site of Turner Flouring Mills. First rural free delivery in Oregon made from the Turner Post Office, October 16, 1897, under George F. Robertson, Postmaster. — Map (db m63938) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny Post Office — Historic Landmark
Children's Museum of Pittsburgh Originally Allegheny Post Office William M. Aiken, Architect 1894-97 — Map (db m58600) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Cranberry Township — Ogle
Cranberry Township's first post office, Ogle, opened 1850 in the home of Thomas Robinson on old Perry Highway (now Dutilh Road) .09 mile south of here. The post office and Ogle placename later moved to this location where postal services alternated . . . — Map (db m44378) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), New Stanton — Rural Free Delivery
On November 24, 1896, the United States Post Office Department established Pennsylvania's first two rural mail routes here in Westmoreland County. One operated from the post office here in New Stanton; the other operated out of nearby Ruffsdale . . . — Map (db m55001) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Cross — 8-26 — Cross Post Office
This post office, originally named Cross Mill, was established in 1879. Adam Cross, a local storekeeper & Civil War veteran, was first postmaster. — Map (db m22745) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — U.S. Post Office and Courthouse
Entered on the National Register of Historic Places August 13, 1974 U.S. Post Office and Courthouse Charleston, South Carolina John H. Devereux Architect 1896 This property significantly contributes to the . . . — Map (db m27449) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Mount Pleasant — Patjens Post Office
In 1899, the Patjens family built this small office adjacent to their store on Church Street, to serve as the post office in Mount Pleasant. The Patjens family served as postmasters until 1917. Patjens Post Office has been owned and maintained by . . . — Map (db m37814) HM
South Carolina (Dillon County), Latta — Post Office and General Store(Latta, S.C.)
In rural communities throughout the country, the local general store was the focal point of town activities. Not only did these stores serve to provide the necessities of life, they offered a gathering point for the exchange of information and more . . . — Map (db m45600) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Johnston — 19-14 — Lott's Tavern & Post Office
A house built for Emsley Lott about 1770, later Lott's Tavern and still later Lott's Post Office, stood here until it was demolished in 1918. Lott soon enlarged his one-room log house to become a tavern on the Columbia road. In 1839 his son John . . . — Map (db m28225) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — Post Office
Built c. 1790 as a lawyer's office at Granby on the Congaree River, this building was rolled to the new county seat called Lexington Courthouse in 1820 and was used as a medical office for Dr. Thomas Simmons (1794-1853). His widow, Mary, . . . — Map (db m21937) HM
South Carolina (York County), McConnells — 46-13 — McConnells
After the Kings Mountain Railroad was completed in 1852, the McConnellsville Post Office was established here in 1854. The town, named for the McConnell family, was incorporated in 1906. The first intendant was J.T. Crawford; wardens were J.F. . . . — Map (db m24537) HM
South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-42 — U.S. Post Office and Courthouse / Citizen's Building
U.S. Post Office and Courthouse This building was described as "handsome in every respect" when it opened in 1932. It replaced a 1906 post office and housed a new district court and federal offices. It served as a post office until 1986 and . . . — Map (db m16626) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 1862 Post Office
On June 6, 1862 Memphis surrendered to Federal gunboats. The only resistance by citizens occurred here as a shot was fired at the soldiers hoisting the U.S. flag over the post office. — Map (db m84464) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Marble Falls — 9740 — 1910 Post Office Building
Established in 1884, the original Marble Falls Post Office was built south of the Colorado River. William P. Cochran, appointed postmaster in 1901, built this structure in 1910 and leased it to the U. S. Government for use as a post office. It . . . — Map (db m27396) HM
Texas (Gray County), Pampa — 36 — 1934 Pampa Post Office Building
A post office was established here in 1892, and in 1902 the town of Pampa was formally platted. Following the discovery of oil in the area in 1926, Pampa experienced a population boom which created a need for a larger post office. Built in 1933-34 . . . — Map (db m55847) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 2488 — Hillsboro Post Office Building
This renaissance revival building was constructed as the fifth location for the Hillsboro Post Office. Work was begun in 1912 and completed three years later under the direction of Architect James Knox Taylor. The building's design features a tiled . . . — Map (db m62301) HM
Texas (Kimble County), Junction — 5219 — Telegraph Store and Post Office
This Kimble County landmark was named for a nearby canyon from which trees were cut for telegraph poles in the mid-19th century. The store and post office were built about 1890-1900. The first commissioned postmistress was Ruth Holmes in 1900. For . . . — Map (db m54845) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 2030 — Fort Worth Main Post Office Building
The Fort Worth Post Office was established in 1856 with pioneer settler Julian Field serving as Postmaster. The central offices were moved here in 1933 when this building was completed. Designed by the Fort Worth firm of Wyatt C. Hedrick, it . . . — Map (db m52509) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9359 — Taylor Post Office
The first post office established in this community opened in 1876 under the name Taylorville. In 1882, when the city was incorporated, it was renamed Taylor. The post office was housed in a number of locations until this structure was built in . . . — Map (db m24950) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Scottsville — GA-37 — Hatton Ferry
James A. Brown began operating a store and ferry at this site on rented property in the late 1870’s. In 1881 he bought the land from S. P. Gantt at which time the store became a stop on the Richmond and Alleghany Railroad. Two years later, Brown was . . . — Map (db m12882) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Arlington Post Office
In the first half of the 20th Century, Arlington County changed from a handful of separate neighborhoods to a cohesive community with its own identity and government. The establishment of a central post office was a major factor in this . . . — Map (db m54884) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — U.S. Railway Post Office Car
Government regulations required Railway Post Office cars in 1910. The RF&P owned five. American Car & Foundry built this one in 1916. Some of the first steel cars were postal cars. They were important revenue sources for the railroad. The . . . — Map (db m28946) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Callao — O-54 — Chambers Stamp Factory
Two miles northeast, at Lodge, stood the Chambers Stamp Factory, owned by the same family for our generations. Founded in Washington, D.C., about 1830 by Benjamin Chambers, Sr., an engraver and inventor of a breech-loading cannon, the company . . . — Map (db m22491) HM
Virginia (Orange County), Montpelier Station — Montpelier Flag Stop
Train service first came to Montpelier in 1880 when the rail line from Orange to Charlottesville was completed. After 1910, a Southern Railway station agent managed the freight, passenger, and telegraph operations, and beginning in 1912, served as . . . — Map (db m31752) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Old U.S. Customs House & Post Office
Built of Petersburg granite and constructed between 1856 and 1860, the U.S. Customs House and Post Office was designed by Ammi B. Young, architect of the U.S. Treasury Department building in Washington D.C. The decision to add the third story was . . . — Map (db m17653) HM
Virginia (Spotsylvania County), New Post — N-10 — Colonial Post Office
Here was Newpost, headquarters of Alexander Spotswood (Governor of Virginia, 1710-22), Deputy Postmaster General for the colonies, 1730-39. Spotswood also had an iron furnace here. — Map (db m1658) HM
West Virginia (Jefferson County), Charles Town — Charles Town
Founded in 1786 by Charles Washington, brother of the President. Here John Brown was tried and convicted of treason. Home of W. L. Wilson, Postmaster General, 1896, who here started the first rural free delivery in America. — Map (db m1650) HM
West Virginia (Jefferson County), Charles Town — Charles Town Post OfficeJefferson County Jail
On the site of this Post Office stood the Jefferson County Jail where John Brown and his fellow prisoners were confined after their raid on Harpers Ferry in October 1859. After court trial John Brown was taken from the Jail here to his death on . . . — Map (db m2027) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 10 — The Federal Building & Early Mail Service
This Federal Post Office Building was built in 1910 at a cost of $90,000. The property was purchased from the Thornton estate for $10,000. The Neo-Classical design style was often used by governmental architects of the Treasury Department during the . . . — Map (db m39009) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Neillsville Post Office
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Neillsville Post Office 1937 Henry Morgenthau Jr Secretary of the Treasury . . . — Map (db m47630) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 144 — U.S. Post Office and CourthouseJames A. Wetmore, Architect — 1927 - 1929
This impressive limestone building with its two-story Ionic colonnade is one of Madison's finest examples of the neo-classical revival style. Wetmore was acting supervising architect for the Department of the Treasury and this and similar designs . . . — Map (db m40233) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Sun Prairie — 43 — First Rural Free Delivery in Wisconsin
In 1896, the U.S. Post Office Department began rural free delivery in Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa and West Virginia on an experimental basis. On November 16, Sun Prairie became the first community in Wisconsin to initiate rural free . . . — Map (db m37566) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — Two Rivers Post Office
. . . — Map (db m57531) HM
Wisconsin (Monroe County), Sparta — 487 — U.S. Post Office
Prior to the construction of this building in 1915, Sparta's post office was housed in a variety of buildings such as the nearby Masonic Temple. Although the initial federal appropriation for the post office was secured by Congressman John Esch . . . — Map (db m9003) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-20 — Rotunda
Built in 1913 as the first federally owned Post Office in Waukesha, it is one of the best remaining examples of Classic Revival Architecture in Waukesha. The structure was built on a historic triangle previously occupied by the First Methodist . . . — Map (db m60205) HM
Wisconsin (Wood County), Marshfield — Marshfield Post Office1930
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m48110) HM

133 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement