Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Arizona, The Presidio Trail Historical Markers

A 2 ½ mile loop trail through downtown Tucson, highlighting historic sites. Nicknamed the Turquoise Trail for the turquoise stripe along the sidewalk.
 
Spanish Translation Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, January 10, 2010
Spanish Translation Marker
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Allande Footbridge
Memorial to Pedro Allande, first resident commander of the Royal Presidio of Tucson and energetic captain of the Mexican Dragoons, regular Spanish army. Near this site he was wounded severely in his right leg during the attack of May 1, 1782, by 600 . . . — Map (db m82943) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Carrillo Intermediate School
Carrillo School was named for the prominent Tucson businessman, Leopoldo Carrillo. During the 1880's, the site contained the Carrillo Gardens, the city's first park with eight acres of spring-fed artificial lakes, gardens and a recreational center. . . . — Map (db m83016) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Commemorating the Raising of the First American Flag within the Walled City of Tucson
Commemorating the raising of the First American Flag within the Walled City of Tucson Dec 16, 1846 — Map (db m74174) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Edward Nye Fish House
E.N. Fish came to Arizona as an enterprising merchant in 1865. Three years later he built this adobe house which served as the family residence for the next half century. Fish developed many successful businesses and his wife Maria was prominent in . . . — Map (db m83026) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — El Tiradito(The Wishing Shrine)
This is the only shrine in the United States dedicated to the soul of a sinner buried in unconsecrated ground. It is affectionately called "El Tiradito"- the castaway. The many legends about its origin all involve a tragic triangle love affair in . . . — Map (db m83030) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Exchange at the PresidioThe Mormon Battalion Enters Tucson, 16 December 1846
Near this site on December 16 – 17, 1846, the U.S. 101st Infantry ("Mormon") Battalion under the command of Colonel Philip St. George Cooke peacefully occupied the Presidio San Agustin del Tucson. Organized in Council Bluffs, Iowa, to . . . — Map (db m73983) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Garcés FootbridgePuente de Garcés
Memorial to Francisco Garcés, explorer and first Franciscan missionary to the Pima village at the foot of Sentinel Peak. In 1770 Garcés and the Pimas constructed at that site the first substantial building in Tucson, a mission residence with two . . . — Map (db m83034) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Hiram S. Stevens House
Hiram Sanford Stevens came west as a soldier, settling in Tucson in 1856. Three years later, he married Petra Santa Cruz, great granddaughter of a Spanish Pioneer. In 1865 the couple built this residence, which featured an aviary, orchard, . . . — Map (db m83199) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — La Casa Cordova
This adobe house incorporates portions of one of the oldest standing structures in Tucson. The two west rooms are believed to have been built before the Gadsden Purchase of 1854. Four front rooms were added in 1879. The house was named for Maria . . . — Map (db m83202) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Leonardo Romero House
This house is named for its first known residents, living here in 1868. Although construction dates are not known, the Washington Street wing lies along the course of the Presidio wall, completed in 1783. Leonardo Romero, a carpenter whose shop was . . . — Map (db m83203) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — N. W. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson
N. W. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson Marked 1926 by D.A.R. — Map (db m26462) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — N.E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson
N.E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson Marked 1926 by D.A.R. — Map (db m26460) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Pima County CourthouseHistoric Site
The first Pima County Courthouse, a single-story adobe structure built in 1868, was replaced in 1881 by a large two-story stone and red brick victorian building which, in turn, was removed in 1928 to make way for the present structure. This . . . — Map (db m55222) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Plaza de la Mesilla
One of the few remaining sites which recall the Mexican heritage of Tucson, it acquired its name after the Gadsden Purchase (1854) as the terminus of the wagon road joining Tucson to the territorial capital, then at Mesilla. When San Agustin, the . . . — Map (db m83208) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Plaza de las Armas
The largest plaza within the Spanish presidio of San Agustin del Tucson, founded in 1775, this area was originally used for military formations and drill. After construction of the first Pima County courthouse (1870), the name was changed to Court . . . — Map (db m83209) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Plaza Militar
Once an open space, this area was within the original Spanish presidio. The plaza was probably named in the Mexican years (1821-1854), when soldiers drilled here. Saddle horses for the troops were stabled along the north side, next to the presidio . . . — Map (db m83210) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Presidio Wall
This marker locates the northwest corner of the adobe wall which surrounded the Royal Spanish Presidio San Agustín del Tucson. In 1776 the new outpost was garrisoned by seventy Spanish cavalry troopers and Indian scouts, transferred from Tubac under . . . — Map (db m83212) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Presidio Wall & Pithouse
This marker locates the northeast corner of the adobe wall which surrounded the Royal Spanish Presidio San Agustin del Tucson. It is thought that a bastion, used as a lookout and as a defensive position, stood here. The site was excavated in 1954 by . . . — Map (db m83213) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — S. E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson
This disc marks the southeast corner of the old adobe wall that protected Tucson from the Indians in the early days - prior to 1845 Moved to this location in 1955 — Map (db m26461) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Sosa-Carillo-Frémont House
The earliest documents for this property indicate that the pioneering Sosa family lived here in the 1850s. In 1878, Manuela Sosa and her husband, Michael McKenna, sold the property to Jesús Suárez de Carrillo, wife of businessman Leopoldo Carrillo, . . . — Map (db m83228) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Southern Pacific Railroad
The S.P.R.R., building the nation's second transcontinental rail line eastward from California, reached Tucson on March 20, 1880. It was the occasion for one of the greatest celebrations in the history of the city and foretold the coming of a new . . . — Map (db m83229) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Teatro Carmen
Named for its founder, Carmen Soto Vásquez, this was one of the first theaters in Tucson devoted exclusively to the presentation of dramatic works in Spanish. From the opening night, May 20, 1915, with a performance of "Cerebro y Corazón" by the . . . — Map (db m83233) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Temple of Music and Art
This cultural center was built through the efforts of the Saturday Morning Music Club. The grand opening October 28, 1927, starred violinist Jascha Heifetz. Many world-renowned artists followed upon the stage and in the galleries while local talent . . . — Map (db m26442) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The First Presbyterian Church in Tucson
On this site stood the first Presbyterian Church, and the second Protestant Church in Arizona. It was organized in 1874 for Presbyterian Missions in the Territories by the Reverend Sheldon Jackson and constructed by the Reverend J. A. Anderson, with . . . — Map (db m83238) HM

24 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement