The causeway entrance to the 13th century Dublin Castle lies under this building on the North/South axis. The Bedford Tower was built on the medieval entrance towers. This building, comprising of the former Genealogical Office and . . . — — Map (db m22435) HM
Chris Reid completed a public artwork
consisting of 20 bronze plaques and a
printed book. The texts are based on
recordings the artist made from
2004 to 2008 with residents and people
associated with Nicholas Street,
Ross Road, Bride . . . — — Map (db m22480) HM
A valiant woman who fought for Ireland in 1916
In the 1916 Rising she was Second-in-Command to Michael Mallin in the College of Surgeons. She was sentenced to death for her activities but was released from prison in . . . — — Map (db m22504) HM
One of Dublin's major contributions to European civilisation has been in the area of literature. It is remarkable that so many writers of world renown were born here including three winners of the Nobel Prize for Literature. This Literary Parade . . . — — Map (db m22472) HM
In memory of the officers, non-commissioned officers and men of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers who fell in the South African War A.D.1899·1900
Fortissimis suis militibus hoc monumentum eblana dedicavit MCMVII
Hartshill•Ladysmith•Talana•Colenso• . . . — — Map (db m22470) HM
In 1925 a finely sculptured garden seat of Kilkenny limestone was placed in the park and inscribed on the back - “Anna Marie, 1829 - 1922 and Thomas Haslam, 1825 - 1917. This seat is erected in commemoration [sic - ‘honour’] of their long . . . — — Map (db m22485) HM
He has been described as the greatest poet of the nineteenth century. He died of cholera in 1849. The bronze bust by Oliver Sheppard was unveiled in 1909 on behalf of the National Literary Society.
In a niche in the pedestal is a marble head . . . — — Map (db m22488) HM
Acknowledged as a world figure in literature. He dismantled the English language and put it together again so that it became music. The sculpture in bronze was unveiled on June 16, (Bloomsday) 1982. — — Map (db m27047) HM
Ni dhéanfaidh gáeil bhearmao orc go brách
[Gaelic transcription is best effort]
Erected in 1954. An uncut rock of Wicklow granite symbolises the patriot's unbreakable spirit. Into the rock is set a plaque bearing an . . . — — Map (db m25316) HM
Since 1924, Leinster House has been the seat of the two houses of the Oireachtas, Dail and Seanad (Irish Parliament and Senate), who meet here a total of 90 days a year.
Designed in 1745 by the architect Richard Cassels, who also designed the . . . — — Map (db m22459) HM
Prior to 1877 St. Stephen's Green was a private square for the use of the residents of the Green. In that year, through the generosity of Sir Arthur Edward Guinness (Lord Ardilaun) negotiations were concluded for converting it into a public park. . . . — — Map (db m25311) HM
Margaret Anna Cusack was born on this site on May 6th 1829. At the time York Street was a centre of medicine. She was the daughter of Sara and Dr. Samuel Cusack. Her uncle was the interationally renowned surgeon James William Cusack, 3-times . . . — — Map (db m22454) HM
The National Memorial to members of the Defence Forces is a place of contemplation and remembrance, providing a focal point where families, relatives and members of the public can reflect on the contribution and sacrifice made by members of the . . . — — Map (db m26868) HM
Presented to the People
The Robert Emmet
United States of America
April 13, 1966
Francis J. Kane, Chairman
Ambassador Scott McLeod
Devlin W. Dormer, Esq.
Hon. Michael J. Kirwan, M.C. . . . — — Map (db m25304) HM
Tradition has it that Saint Patrick baptised the first Irish Christians in a well, situated here in St. Patrick's Park, with water from the River Poddle, which still flows underground. A small wooden church was erected here to commemorate the . . . — — Map (db m22468) HM
aural and ophthalmic surgeon, archaeologist, ethnologist, antiquarian, biographer, statistician, naturalist, topographer, historian, folklorist, lived in this house from 1855 to 1876 — — Map (db m24755) HM
This majestic view of St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin is a colour reproduction from a series of original aquatints etched by James Malton, whose work, A Picturesque and Descriptive View of the City of Dublin, gives us a glimpse of Dublin at the . . . — — Map (db m22465) HM
Erected in 1887 from funds subscribed by the Dublin Metropolitan Police to commemorate Queen Victoria's Jubilee. [From the Monuments of St. Stephen's Green marker found in the park.] — — Map (db m22483) HM
This fountain, erected in 1956, is situated near the Leeson Street entrance to the park. It consists of a group of three bronze figures – Nornenbrunnen, representing the Three Fates, who weave and measure the thread of man's destiny.
The . . . — — Map (db m25306) HM
An Irish patriot convicted of treason. He died mysteriously in prison in November 1798.
The memorial consists of a ten-foot figure of Wolfe Tone backed by a wall of rough granite columns of varying width and rising to 16 feet in height. . . . — — Map (db m25303) HM
Born in County Dublin
9th February 1880
Killed at Guinchy
9th September 1916
Killed at Guinchy during the Great War, September 1916.
“Died not for Flag nor King nor Emperor
But for a . . . — — Map (db m22489) HM
Sunday Independent journalist,
was murdered on 26th June 1996.
Be Not Afraid
Greater justice was her ideal and it was her ultimate achievement
Her courage and sacrifice saved many from the scourge of drugs and other crime.
Her . . . — — Map (db m24078) HM
“He may be regarded as the pivot around which Irish literature turned from instinctive to conscious art.” (George W. Russell).
The memorial, erected in [October] 1967, is a tribute in bronze by Henry Moore, the sculptor. — — Map (db m27039) HM
Howth Abbey, St. Marys
Sigtrygg, King of Dublin, founded the first church here in 1042. When this church was amalgamated with another on Ireland's Eye in 1235, it was re-founded by Luke, Archbishop of Dublin. Much of the present church dates . . . — — Map (db m27205) HM
A Fishing Village
References to the fishing industry in Howth can be found from the twelfth century, although in the seventeenth century the port was also known in the area as a base for pirates roaming Dublin Bay. In Elizabethan times a . . . — — Map (db m27057) HM
The monument was erected by
The Howth Fishermens Association
and commemorated the lives
of all persons lost at sea,
no matter where or no matter how.
[Representative memorial plaques follow]
Brian Faherty and . . . — — Map (db m26806) HM
Howth from Old Norse Hofuth (a promontory);
Binn Éadair (the hill of Éadar) is the Irish name.
This church, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, was collegiate; that is, it was served by a college or community of . . . — — Map (db m27183) HM
Sixth President of the
International Olympic Committee
1972 - 1980
President of the
Olympic Council of Ireland
1950 - 1973
This commemorative bronze bust was unveiled by
Dr. Jacques Rogge
Eight[h] President of the . . . — — Map (db m27050) HM
Seeing the meaning
When viewing a piece of sculpture one can see many different layers of meaning. The clues given here are only the first layer of meaning and are meant only as a gateway through which you can go on your way to see meanings . . . — — Map (db m25301) HM
[Excerpt from marker]
There has been a settlement at Malahide (Mullach Íde in Gaelige meaning the Hill of the Hydes) since ancient times. The Vikings landed in 795 AD and the Danes were settled here from 897 AD. In 1185 the . . . — — Map (db m72714) HM
This sculpture celebrates Portmarnock's unique role in world aviation history. This beach, known as the Velvet Strand, was used as a runway for the first successful East-West Transatlantic flight, on 24th June 1930.
After a gruelling 33 hours . . . — — Map (db m25788) HM
What's in a name?
Portmarnock is names after St Marnock, a prominent missionary who founded a church in the area.
The Velvet Strand and Aviation History
It was from the Velvet Strand, on 24th of June 1930, that the famous Australian . . . — — Map (db m83440) HM
Brief History of Longford
Longford is a focal point of the northern midlands where the provinces of Leinster, Ulster and Connaught all converge. Longford, where history and literature, tradegy and triumph are all woven together, takes its . . . — — Map (db m27946) HM
Brief History of Longford
Longford is a focal point of the northern midlands where the provinces of Leinster, Ulster and Connaught all converge. Longford, where history and literature, tradegy and triumph are all woven together, takes its . . . — — Map (db m27498) HM
The Mouth of the Ford of Stones
The ancient name of Lanesborough is Béal Átha Liag which means “Mouth of the Ford of Stones”. Situated at the northern tip of Lough Ree, or Loch Rí - meaning the “Lake of . . . — — Map (db m27424) HM
To Perpetuate the Memory
of the 284 Gallant Soldiers
of the County Longford
who fell in the Great World War.
This Cross was erected by
the generous subscriptions of
their sorrowing relatives,
comrades and . . . — — Map (db m27355) HM
Monasterboice — from Mainistir Bhuithe (the Monastery of Buithe)
This is the only early Irish monastery whose name incorporates the Irish word mainistir.
Monasterboice was founded by St Buite, who died around 520.
The . . . — — Map (db m24628) HM
The round tower was the Irish reaction to the Norse raids on monasteries in the 10th/11th century A.D. These tapering buildings, over 100 feet high, served as watch-towers, belfries, repositories for church valuables and as . . . — — Map (db m24693) HM
A 13th century reconstruction on the foundations of an earlier monastic building, used as a small parochial church after the monastery at Monasterboice had come to an end. It remains little of architectural interest. The east windows and most of . . . — — Map (db m24694) HM
At one time a church consisting of nave and chancel stood on this site. In the 13th century re-edification the west gable was moved back to add over two feet to the nave. The chancel having by this time disappeared, the plain round arch in the east . . . — — Map (db m24717) HM
Bective Abbey — from Mainistir Bheigthí (Abbey of Beigtheach)
This Cistercian abbey was founded in 1147 as a “daughter house” of Mellifont Abbey.
The community here was Anglo-Norman. In 1386 men of Irish birth . . . — — Map (db m24752) HM
Author of “The Red Flag”
which became the anthem of the
International Labour Movement
Born Rathniska, Kilskyre 1852
Died Lewisham, London 1929
Oh, grant me an ownerless corner of earth,
Or pick me a hillock of stones, . . . — — Map (db m27347) HM
Erected by the People of
Culmullen and District
to the memory of the Men and Women
of Wexford and Meath
who died for their Country
and lie buried in the surrounding area
There were two periods of intense
Rising activity around . . . — — Map (db m33354) HM
Donaghmore Church and Round Tower
A monastery was reputedly founded here in the 5th century by St Patrick, who placed it in the care of St Cassán, whose relics were venerated here. The Round Tower was not built until the 11th or 12th century. . . . — — Map (db m22542) HM
Close to the Courthouse along the western perimeter of the village green is Connell's House, the oldest house in Duleek. This building was in existence at the time of the famous Battle of the Boyne in 1690. — — Map (db m24793) HM
The Memorial Garden
is named after
Vol. Joe Coombes, Platin Road.
Vol. Noel Gallagher, Mountfield, Co. Tyrone
Vol. Harry McCormick, Prioryland, Duleek
and is in memory of
all those who dedicated their lives
to . . . — — Map (db m27220) HM
Duleek Courthouse was built in 1838 by John Trotter as a sessions house for the Meath Grand Jury. It was designed by Francis Johnston. The main architectural features are the Doric door-case and fanlight, a simplified eaves pediment and corner . . . — — Map (db m24803) HM
The original house was built in 1795. It was built in three stages and was acquired by Fr John Kearney to accommodate the parish priest and the curate. It was re-roofed in 1993 and presides over the very elegant village green.
At the back of the . . . — — Map (db m24801) HM
One of the great churches of the 12th century, St. Mary's Abbey, was built by the Augustinians on lands presented to them by Hugh de Lacy, Overlord of Meath.
In the 1500s a massive square tower was built alongside the earlier round tower. The . . . — — Map (db m26384) HM
William of Orange and Mary accepted the throne of England in 1698, supplanting King James II who took refuge with his ally and sponsor Louis XIV of France. The tensions between James and William would reach their highpoint in 1690 at the battle of . . . — — Map (db m24802) HM
An introduction to Fordstown
Fordstown is named after the Norman-Irish Ford family, who lived in the area. One part of the townland is sometimes referred to as Ballaghboy. Today, Fordstown is a growing, vibrant community. ‘Fordstown Street . . . — — Map (db m27318) HM
Here rest the remains of
Silvester O'Dempsey Esq.
Who departed this life the 31 Dec. 1817
In the 70 year of his age
of the most steady Friendship
Unblemished Integrity extensive charity
This frail . . . — — Map (db m26423) HM
Headfort Place was purposely widened and lined with trees in the 18th century to make it a suitable setting for its attractive Georgian houses. It is also here that a site for a parish church was donated to the Roman Catholic community by Lord . . . — — Map (db m27339) HM
The courthouse, built in 1801, was designed by the prominent Irish architect Francis Johnston. Johnston also designed the General Post Office and Nelson's Pillar in Dublin, and Townley Hall, County Louth.
A Vantage Point to the Past . . . — — Map (db m27340) HM
This tower is located on the grounds of St Columba's church and was built in the 10th century as part of the early Christian monastery. Such towers were referred to as a cloigteach meaning bell tower. Modelled on early Italian belfries, they were . . . — — Map (db m26440) HM
This 9th century high cross, the cross of the gate of the Kells monastery, is one of five high crosses still surviving in Kells. The cross of the gate, currently at or near its original site, was a termon cross and signified that a fugitive could . . . — — Map (db m27341) HM
Diarmuld MacCarroll, High King of Tara, is said to have granted the dun of Cenannus to St Columcille in the 6th century for the purpose of establishing a monastery. This may explain why in 804 the Columban community on the island of Iona . . . — — Map (db m26444) HM
Suffolk Street is an anglicisation of the ancient name Siofac, the meaning of which is today uncertain. The Annals of the Four Masters mentions a fire in 1156 burning the area of Kells from the cross of the gate to Siofoic. The name . . . — — Map (db m26424) HM
This wall marks the boundary of the original monastery and was rebuilt in 1714. When part of the wall collapsed after heavy rains in 1997, it was discovered to have no foundation. It was rebuilt again in 1998, this time with reinforced bulwarks. — — Map (db m26402) HM
to the memory of the poor
during the operation
English Poor Law System.
1838 - 1921.
R. I. P.
In the immediate aftermath
of the Great ‘Famine’, this mass
burial place was opened in 1851 for . . . — — Map (db m27326) HM
The tower, a mock lighthouse, was erected in 1791 by the First Earl of Bective in memory of his father Sir Thomas Taylor. The architect was Henry Baker who completed the design of the Kings Inns in Dublin after Gandon. The tower has an internal . . . — — Map (db m27324) HM
Within the great mound of Knowth there are two passage-tombs and around it, eighteen satellite tombs. The site remained a focal point for over 4,000 years. There is evidence of occupation from 3,000 B.C. to 1,200 A.D.
This project has been . . . — — Map (db m27219) HM
The Woodhenge/Pit circle
If you were here 4000 years ago in the Early Bronze Age you would be standing inside a large wooden enclosure. The passage tomb was no longer in use at this time but the site was still a focal point for ritual and . . . — — Map (db m22522) HM
Long established tradition tells that St. Patrick lit the Easter Fire on this Hill of Slane in 433. In doing so, he unwittingly disobeyed King Laoghaire at nearby Tara.
The inevitable confrontation had a happy outcome: Laoghaire's druid, Erk, . . . — — Map (db m22538) HM
It is believed that in 433 AD, the first Christian missionary to Ireland, later known as St. Patrick, lit a large celebration fire here on the Hill of Slane.
Soon after St Patrick, a monastery associated with St Earc was built . . . — — Map (db m22533) HM
The Hill of Tara is Ireland's most revered ancient landscape, a place where monuments, myths and memories combine to create an icon of national identity.
Tara was the chief pagan sanctuary of early Ireland, an arena for ceremony, burial . . . — — Map (db m92091) HM
The priory of Newtowntrim was founded in 1202 by Simon de Rochfort, Bishop of Meath, for a community of Augustinian canons (priests). As well as functioning as part of the monastery, the church became the cathedral for the diocese of Meath after . . . — — Map (db m27240) HM
Shortly after 8:00pm that evening a pioneering steam carriage designed and built by William Parsons, the Third Earl of Rosse, left the castle gates and drove at walking pace along Oxmantown Mall before turning the corner into Cumberland (now Emmet) . . . — — Map (db m33198) HM