Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Mississippi

1228 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1028
 
The Natchez Burning Marker (side 2) image, Touch for more information
By Robert M. Cook, Jr.
The Natchez Burning Marker (side 2)
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — 36 — "The Natchez Burning"
(side 1) One of the deadliest fires in American history took the lives of over 200 people, including bandleader Walter Barnes and nine members of his dance orchestra at the Rhythm Club (less than a mile southeast of this site) on April 23, . . . — Map (db m70811) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — 20-30 St. Catherine Street and EduationNatchez Trails
. Eliza Smith, an antebellum "free woman of color," purchased property on St. Catherine Street in the 1850s. Her daughters and their families built new houses on the property in the 1880s.

28 St. Catherine Street (above) was the ca. 1885 home of . . . — Map (db m108276) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — 300 Block of Martin Luther King Streetformerly North Pine Street — Natchez Trails
300 North Martin Luther King Street (above) is home to the city's oldest funeral business.

Robert D. Mackel (below) opened Bluff City Undertaking in 1898 at the corner of Jefferson and North Rankin Streets. About 1911 he relocated the business . . . — Map (db m108600) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Andrew Marschalk
Site of the printery of “father of Mississippi journalism.” Printed first book in state, 1799. Became first public printer and in 1802 founded famed newspaper, “Mississippi Herald.” — Map (db m70851) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Bernardo De Gálvez
Don Bernardo de Gálvez, Spanish Governor of Louisiana, 1776-1783, in a brilliant campaign, with the aid of regular troops, militia, volunteers, and a few Americans, captured Baton Rouge from the British on September 21, 1779. Terms included the . . . — Map (db m76211) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Bluff Park - Memorials and Louisiana ConnectionsNatchez Trails
The Richard Wright historic marker recognizes the city’s most famous 20th-century writer. Born in 1908 on a cotton plantation near Natchez, Wright spent his early childhood in town in the home of his grandparents at 20 East Woodlawn . . . — Map (db m87176) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Bluff Park - Playground for the CityNatchez Trails
When the Spanish laid out the town of Natchez about 1790, they set aside land on the bluff for use as a public park. In 1839, after the city had sold off most of the park and built Broadway Street, writer Joseph Holt Ingraham complained . . . — Map (db m87177) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Bluff Park and South Broadway StreetNatchez Trails
Bontura, built in 1851, was the home of Robert Smith, a free African American who ran the city’s most successful carriage business in the 1850s. The house stands at the head of Silver Street, which leads to Natchez Under-the-Hill. Smith . . . — Map (db m87179) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — 123 — Bud Scott
(side 1) Clarence “Bud” Scott, Sr., led one of the most popular dance bands in the Mississippi-Louisiana region for several decades beginning around 1900. Scott (1876-1938), a lifelong Natchez resident, was renowned among both . . . — Map (db m70852) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Ceremonial Center
Archaeological and historical evidence indicates that the Grand Village of Natchez Indians was not really a "village." It was the main ceremonial mound center for the Natchez Indians during the period of French exploration and colonization of the . . . — Map (db m104481) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Commercial Bank Building
Built ca. 1836, this structure, a National Historic Landmark, is a fine example of the Greek Revival style. A Banker’s House attached to the rear insured security & gives the structure an unusual and practical plan. — Map (db m79346) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — DAR And The Natchez Trace
Mrs. Egbert Jones and Mrs. Ferriday Byrnes, members of the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), played important roles in the development of the Natchez Trace Parkway. Mrs. Jones, of Holly Springs, State Regent 1906 . . . — Map (db m42629) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Dr. John Banks House - 9 St. Catherine StreetNatchez Trails
The Dr. John Banks House was built in the Queen Anne style about 1890 and was slightly remodeled in the Colonial Style after about 1905. Frank Robinson, grandson of Dr. John Banks, retired part time to Natchez and restored the house in the . . . — Map (db m106297) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — 129 — Ealey Brothers
(Front Side) The Ealey family of Sibley has produced some of the most talented musicians to emerge from the Natchez area. Brothers Theodis, YZ, and Melwyn Ealey performed together locally in the band YZ Ealey and the Merry Makers in the . . . — Map (db m87181) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Forks of the Road
Site of the South's second largest slave market in the 19th century. Enslaved people were also once sold on city streets and at the landing at Natchez Under the Hill. Natchez slaves were freed in July, 1863, when Union troops occupied the city. The . . . — Map (db m37433) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Forks of the Road Historical Site
[Panel 1:] Natchez in the Center of Slavery Slavery is central to American history. The labor of enslaved African Americans built much of the nation’s wealth and enabled it to gain its economic independence. The enslavement of people . . . — Map (db m41533) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Fort Rosalie
On bluff to south stood Ft. Rosalie, established by the French in 1716. Became nucleus of settlements from which the Miss. Territory was founded. Near this marker stood the French warehouse that was a center of bloodshed during the Natchez Massacre . . . — Map (db m5143) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Gloucester Cemetery
Here are buried the families of Winthrop Sargent, 1st Gov. of the Mississippi Territory, and Seargent S. Prentiss, Congressman. "Let no monumental marble deface with its mock dignity the patriot's grave." — Map (db m103804) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Grand Village of the Natchez IndiansMississippi Mound Trail
Of the six mounds identified on the early 18th-century maps of the Grand Village, three remain. Mound A is now eroding into St. Catherine Creek. Mound B is a pyramidal platform mound, roughly seven feet tall, built in four stages. Each stage served . . . — Map (db m103758) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — History of St. Catherine StreetNatchez Trails
Pre-Civil War St. Catherine Street The road, for the first mile, after leaving town, passed through a charming country, seen at intervals, and between long lines of unpainted, wretched looking dwellings, occupied as 'groggeries' by free . . . — Map (db m106918) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Holy Family Catholic ChurchDedicated July 1, 1894.
First Catholic church in the Mississippi valley with entire congregation of Afro-American descent. Its school has been continually educating youth since 1890. — Map (db m103798) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Holy Family Church and SchoolNatchez Trails
In 1889 Bishop Thomas Heslin started the first parish for Roman Catholic African Americans in Mississippi. He first oversaw construction of a small frame church (above left) on Beaumont Street and brought Father A.N.J. Peters to Natchez to become . . . — Map (db m104502) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Hospital Hill NeighborhoodNatchez Trails
The portion of St. Catherine Street that extends from the site of the Rhythm Night Club to D'Evereux Street was originally part of the property of the city's first public hospital (above).

The hospital fronted St. Catherine and stood on a hill on . . . — Map (db m108586) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Immaculate Conception Shrine c. 1846Oldest Extant Outdoor Shrine Dedicated to Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal
1830: July 18-December 30- The Blessed Virgin Mary appears to St. Catherine Lebouré, Daughter of Charity, in Paris, France 1830: July 27 Revolution - Louis Philippe overthrows King Charles X of France 1832: - First Miraculous . . . — Map (db m104067) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — In Gratitude
In Gratitude To the men and women of Adams County Who served in World War I And to those who died in the line of duty — Map (db m106177) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of High and North Wall StreetsNatchez Trails
Joseph Neibert built Choctaw in 1836 as his mansion townhouse. Neibert was a cotton planter. In the 1830s he and his partner Peter Gemmel, operated the city's most successful building firm, which employed both white and enslaved . . . — Map (db m104476) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of Jefferson and North Union streetsNatchez Trails
Ethel Clagett and Mabel Porter were among the first women in America to own a car dealership that was not inherited from a male spouse or relative. They opened their dealership in 1914 on Main Street and moved to a larger new facility on . . . — Map (db m108610) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of Main and South Union StreetsNatchez Trails
An 1890 view of Memorial Park shows the Confederate soldier monument draped for unveiling. Like many others across the south, it faces north towards the opposing army.The park's creation was part of the Lost Cause Movement that expressed . . . — Map (db m104480) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of Washington and South Pearl streetsNatchez Trails
The two matching brick houses at the corner (behind you) date to 1901 and stand on the site of a brick chapel (no longer standing) built in 1849 by the First Presbyterian Church. The chapel held Wednesday evening prayer services, . . . — Map (db m107249) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Jefferson Street Methodist Church
This was the first Methodist congregration in Natchez formed in the early 1800s, and the 1st building was constructed in 1807. The 1st Sunday School south of Philadelphia, Pa., was organized here in 1829. — Map (db m29749) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Jersey Settlers
Erected, 1968, by Descendants of the New Jersey Settlers Organization (formed 1940) in memory of settlers of 1772, including Captain Amos Ogden. The Swayzes, Thorns & others now rest in the Kingston Cemetery — Map (db m103816) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Jersey Settlers
Erected, 1968, by Descendants of the New Jersey Settlers Organization (formed 1940) in memory of settlers of 1772 & their descendants who rest in Caleb King & Daniel Farrar Cemetery, Kingston Plantation. — Map (db m104044) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Judith Sargent Murray
An early American feminist writer and champion of women's rights, Murray (1751-1820) was also instrumental in fostering the Universalist Church in America. Murray lived for two years at Oak Point Plantation on this site. She died on July 6, 1820, . . . — Map (db m103817) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Kingston
S.E. 1 mile is site of Old Jersey Settlement now known as Kingston. Here settlers from New Jersey organized first Protestant church in Mississippi with Samuel Swayze as pastor. — Map (db m104043) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — MississippiThe Magnolia State
Explored, 1540-1, by De Soto. Colonized first by French, 1699. Became a colony of British, 1763; Spanish, 1779. Territory organized by U.S., 1798. Became 20th. state, 1817. — Map (db m103799) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Music on St. Catherine StreetNatchez Trails
Alexander Lightfoot "Papa George" Papa George Lightfoot [1924-1971], he lived down the street from the alley I came up in, down on St. Catherine Street....He was a hustler, he had a snowball wagon, he sold peanuts. He would blow his harp . . . — Map (db m108160) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Natchez
First settled by French, 1716-29. Lasting growth came with Britain, 1763-1779, and Spain, 1779-98. Cotton and trade made it commercial and cultural capital of Old South. — Map (db m4479) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Natchez
Here passed, in 1543, De Soto’s men under Moscoso. In 1682 La Salle and De Tonti here visited the Natchez Indians. In 1716 Bienville here built Fort Rosalie and established a French settlement. In 1763 the fort was ceded to the English and renamed . . . — Map (db m87167) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Natchez Bluffs and River ViewsNatchez Trails
The Harper family mansion had a spectacular view of the river from the bluff. The construction of the railroad and related development made its land valuable for commerce, and the house and its garden were destroyed to build a large warehouse (no . . . — Map (db m104673) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Natchez City Cemetery
Established in 1822 on a ten acre tract, this cemetery grew into a park notable for its variety of 19th century iron and marble work. People of all walks of life are buried within the cemetery. — Map (db m50659) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Origin of the Natchez Trace
After the American Revolution, frontiersmen from the Ohio Valley carried their products down stream to Spanish controlled New Orleans and Natchez. Returning home, boatmen followed a series of Indian trails from Natchez to Nashville—trails . . . — Map (db m87224) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — 83 — Papa Lightfoot & The Natchez Blues
Side 1The rich legacy of blues, jazz, and gospel in Natchez has often been obscured by the tragic shadow of the notorious Rhythm Club fire that claimed some 200 lives here in 1940. Alexander “Papa George” Lightfoot was one of the . . . — Map (db m105233) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Ravennaside
An outstanding example of Colonial Revival architecture, Ravennaside, built 1902, was the home of Roane Fleming Byrnes (1890-1970) and headquarters for her efforts in the creation and development of the Natchez Trace Parkway, the 444-mile National . . . — Map (db m103821) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Rhythm Night Club
On April 23, 1940, 209 African Americans died in a fire at the Rhythm Club, located at this site. An overflow crowd, which included civic and cultural leaders, had come to hear the Walter Barnes Orchestra of Chicago. Considered among America's most . . . — Map (db m103794) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Richard N. Wright
Noted African-American author of Native Son and Black Boy was born in 1908 near Natchez, where he spent his early childhood. His lifelong quest for freedom led him to Paris, France, where he died in 1960. — Map (db m10059) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Rosalie Cemetery
This marker is placed as a memorial to those early settlers of Natchez whose buried remains were discovered here during the Natchez Bluffs Stabilization Project in 1999. This bluff was originally part of the property purchased on December 22, 1820, . . . — Map (db m50696) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Rose Hill Missionary Baptist Church
Rose Hill is the oldest black baptist congregation in the state, with origins dating to 1837. This 1908 building replaces the first wooden church and contains a 1912 Moller pipe organ. Randle Pollard was the first official pastor, serving from . . . — Map (db m105229) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Seargent S. Prentiss(1808-1850)
S. ½ mi. is grave of orator & statesman who came from Maine to Natchez in 1827 & won fame in law & politics, serving with distinction in legislature & in Congress. — Map (db m103801) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Site of Bank of Mississippi
Chartered in 1809 as the only bank in Mississippi Territory and given a monopoly as the official state bank in 1818. It occupied this site in 1826 but was supplanted by Planters' Bank in 1831. Closed solvent. — Map (db m70854) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Site of Cokesbury ChapelEarliest Methodist Church in Natchez
Erected 1807. Launer Blackman, Elder. Caleb W. Cloud Pastor. Trustees: Launer Blackman, Newit Vick, Reuben Gibson, W. Foster, Phillip Gorral, David Lattimore. This tablet placed 1935 by Jubilee Circle of W.M.S Jefferson St. Ch. — Map (db m97262) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Soldiers Retreat
"Soldiers Retreat," located here, was the home of Ferdinand Leigh and Magdaline Claiborne. F.L. Claiborne (1772-1815) moved to the Mississippi Territory from Virginia in 1807 and served as Brig. Gen. with the 1st Mississippi Volunteers during the . . . — Map (db m105260) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Spanish Colonial Natchez1779 ~ 1798
Following acquisition of the Natchez District in 1779, the Spanish founded the City of Natchez ca.1790 to serve as the capital. Under Governor Manuel Gayoso, the city was planned and surveyed by John Girault in a typical Spanish grid plan around a . . . — Map (db m10058) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — St. Catherine Creek
In the early 1700's, French colonists established a plantation called the "St. Catherine Concession" on this creek about two miles upstream from the Grand Village. The name was applied to the creek during the French colonial period in the Natchez . . . — Map (db m106308) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — St. Catherine Creek Italian Colony
On January 21, 1905, a number of families from struggling farming communities near Bologna, Italy, left Genoa bound for New York aboard the S.S. Montevideo. Many of these families ventured south, some settling in this area near St. . . . — Map (db m105231) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — St. Mary's Cathedral
In 1837 Natchez was designated the See of the Roman Catholic Church in Mississippi. In 1842 Bishop J. M. Chanche began construction of this structure, the only church built as a cathedral in Mississippi. — Map (db m103791) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Temple B'Nai IsraelEstablished 1843
Jewish Americans have been part of Mississippi’s economic, social and political life since the 1780’s. In 1843, the Jewish community of Natchez grew large enough to organize and sustain the state’s first permanent religious congregation, Temple . . . — Map (db m79345) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — The First Presbyterian Church
Congregation organized in 1817. The Sanctuary was built in 1828-29 and enlarged in 1851. The Romanesque Revival rear addition was built in 1900 in honor of Joseph Stratton, Pastor, 1843-1903. The church and its companion manse on South Rankin Street . . . — Map (db m19027) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — The Forest Plantation
Home and grave of William Dunbar (1749-1810), Scot settler who surveyed the boundary line between the USA and Spain-1798 and led 1st exploration of LA Purchase 1804. World-famed scientist and inventor in Miss. Territory. — Map (db m103857) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — The Natchez Trace
Marked by the Daughters of the American Revolution in Mississippi 1909. This historic thoroughfare from Natchez to Nashville, Tenn. was used as a mail route in 1796. Although it was a well known Indian trail in far earlier days. — Map (db m4555) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — The President's HouseCirca 1835
Originally the home of Washington physician John C. Inge, the school purchased this frame building in 1842 for $1,350 to house the college president. — Map (db m105846) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — The William Johnson House
The house to your left, completed in 1841, was built by William Johnson. Born a slave in 1809 in Natchez and freed in 1820, Johnson learned the profession of barbering from his brother-in-law. At an early age, he owned a barbershop and later . . . — Map (db m92857) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — United States CourthouseNatchez, Mississippi
This building, completed in July of 1853 and known as Institute Hall, was re-christened Memorial Hall in 1921 in honor of veterans of World War I. Re-dedicated in 2007, the structure was extensively renovated and now houses the United States . . . — Map (db m106223) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Views of St. Catherine Street - Western EndNatchez Trails
Photographer Earl Norman stood on Jefferson Street and snapped this view of the intersection of St. Catherine, Martin Luther King and Jefferson streets.

A single column of the portico of Zion Chapel A.M.E. Church appears on the far right. Holy . . . — Map (db m108599) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Voss Family and A-B Motor CompanyThe Natchez Trails
Axel Voss spoke little English when he emigrated in 1925 from Copenhagen, Denmark. He worked as a mechanic for Chris Anderson and John T. Belt, who founded A-B Motor Company in a backyard garage at 114 St. Catherine. The first Voss business venture . . . — Map (db m103882) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Washington Campground1804-1847
Site of first Methodist camp meeting in state, Dec. 14-17, 1804. Led by Learner Blackman, Nathan Barnes, Lorenzo Dow, and Randal Gibson. — Map (db m105847) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Wharlest Jackson, Sr.1937-1967
Wharlest Jackson was a Natchez Civil Rights activist who lost his struggle for racial equality on February 27, 1967. The explosion of a bomb implanted under his truck took his life. Members of the Ku Klux Klan targeted Jackson, because he was . . . — Map (db m105223) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — William Johnson HouseNatchez, Mississippi — Friends of Libraries U.S.A. Literary Landmark
William Johnson 1809-1851 was a free African American Businessman and Diarist. His diary, covering the period from 1835-1851 and published in 1951, contains an extensive description of everyday pre-Civil War life; it is a valuable . . . — Map (db m34877) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Zion Chapel A.M.E. Church
Acquired 1868 by Zion Chapel whose minister Hiram R. Revels became the first black U.S. Senator and first president of Alcorn State University. Originally built in 1858 as the Second Presbyterian Church. — Map (db m103793) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Sibley — Wirt Adams's Raid
On December 1, 1863, Confederate Brig. Gen. Wirt Adams moved his cavalry from Gallatin to retake Natchez. Finding the city heavily fortified with Union infantry and heavy artillery, Adams moved south of Natchez to Ellis's Cliff, eight miles west of . . . — Map (db m103788) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Stanton — A National Road
(Marker #1) A National Road Natchez in the extreme south-western corner of the United States was threatened by Spain in 1800 and later by France and Great Britain. President Jefferson in 1801 decided that a road from Nashville . . . — Map (db m87267) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Stanton — Emerald Mound
Before you is the second largest temple mound in the United States. Only Monks Mound in Cahokia, Illinois, is larger. This eight acre mound, constructed from a natural hill, was built and used from about 1300 to 1600 by the Mississippians, ancestors . . . — Map (db m61974) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Stanton — Emerald Mound
Before you is a 30 foot secondary mound on which once stood a temple containing sacred Indian images. Archeological evidence indicates that at least two small mounds stood along the North and South sides of the primary platform. These mounds . . . — Map (db m87272) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Stanton — Emerald MoundMississippi Mound Trail
Covering roughly eight acres, Emerald Mound is the second largest Mississippian mound north of Mexico. The main platform was constructed in three stages beginning ca. AD 1350. Archaeological excavations have confirmed that the first and second . . . — Map (db m97256) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Stanton — Loess Bluff
This bluff shows a deep deposit of windblown topsoil known as loess (pronounced LOW–ess). It was formed during the Ice Age when glaciers covered the northern half of the United States.    At this time nearly continuous duststorms swept in . . . — Map (db m62182) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Stanton — Old Trace
Across the Parkway behind you is a portion of the Old Natchez Trace - - a wilderness road that originated from a series of trails used by the southeastern Indian tribes. The Natchez Trace was politically, economically, socially, and militarily . . . — Map (db m87265) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Andrew Jackson at Washington
Here, on April 22, 1815, over 200 citizens of the Old Natchez District entertained General Andrew Jackson on his return from the victory over the British at the Battle of New Orleans, January 8, 1815. — Map (db m105788) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Dr. John W. Monette
Scientist-historian (1803-51). Lived ¼ mi. S.E. Research on yellow fever brought first quarantine in Old S.W. at Natchez, 1844. Author of scholarly book on the discovery and settlement of Mississippi Valley. — Map (db m105397) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Elizabeth Female Academy
First school for women chartered by Mississippi Legislature located here. Elizabeth Roach led in organization. School was important from 1818-1843. — Map (db m87231) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Elizabeth Female Academy
The Natchez Trace was still active and Mississippi had just become a state when the Elizabeth Female Academy opened its doors in November of 1818. Much can be learned about the culture of early Mississippi here in the community of Washington. As the . . . — Map (db m87232) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Foster MoundsMississippi Mound Trail
Foster Mounds consists of two mounds located on either end of a large village or plaza. Mound A was built in four stages during the Plaquemine Period, sometime after AD 1400. Its original size and shape have been modified to accommodate the late . . . — Map (db m105230) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Jefferson Military College
N. 200 yd. Founded 1802. Mississippi's oldest school. Received the first charter to be conferred for any purpose by legislature of Mississippi Territory. — Map (db m105790) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Site of Elizabeth Female College
First women’s college in America chartered on Feb. 17, 1819 to confer degrees on women. Named in honor of Elizabeth Roach, through whose generosity the College was made possible. Audubon was on the faculty. — Map (db m87235) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Washington
Territorial capital 1802-17. Statehood constitutional convention held here in 1817. Legislature met here until 1820. During its great days, it was known as the "Versailles" of the territory. — Map (db m105353) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — "A beehive of activity..."A look at Civil War Corinth — --through the eyes of wartime artists and photographers
Tents, army wagons and soldiers crowd the area around the railway depot and Tishomingo Hotel in this view. Over the course of the war it is estimated that about 300,000 troops served in Corinth or passed through this railroad junction. Civilians, . . . — Map (db m51752) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — "Decision at the Crossroads" Corinth: October 4, 1862
On the morning of October 4, 1862, nearly 20,000 Confederates under Maj. Gen. Earl Van Dorn launched a massive assault on Maj. Gen. William S. Rosecrans' 20,000 Federal soldiers defending the interior line of Corinth's entrenchments. Attacking from . . . — Map (db m63296) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — An Act to Establish and to Protect National Cemeteries.Approved February 22, 1867. — Section 3.
And be it further enacted, That any person who shall willfully destroy, mutilate, deface, injure, or remove any monument, gravestone, or other structure, or shall willfully destroy, cut, break, injure, or remove any tree, shrub, or plant within . . . — Map (db m89097) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Battery FBattle of Corinth
Only extant redan of six built in 1862 by U.S. troops as outer defense south and west of town. Taken on Oct. 3, 1862, by C.S. forces after fierce fighting. Battle resumed on Oct. 4, but C.S. troops forced to withdraw. — Map (db m66613) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Battle of Corinth - 1862
Site of Battery Williams. On Oct. 4 the cannonade from here devastated the Confederate troops attacking Battery Robinette. The advance failed, forcing Gen. Van Dorn to withdraw his forces. — Map (db m50324) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Battle of Corinth - 1862
Site of Battery Williams. On Oct. 4 the cannonade from here devastated the Confederate troops attacking Battery Robinette. The advance failed, forcing Gen. Van Dorn to withdraw his forces. — Map (db m66590) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Battle of Corinth Battery F1st. Day, October 3, 1862
The South suffered a strategic disaster when Corinth and its railroads fell to Union forces on May 30, 1862. The destruction of the Union force garrisoned in Corinth and recapture of this rail center quickly became vital Confederate objectives. In . . . — Map (db m66676) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Brigadier-General Joseph Lewis HoggBattery Robinett
. . . — Map (db m89039) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — C.S.A. Rifle Pit
S. 3/10 mi. to rear of school. Of unique circular design, about 50 ft. in diameter, this pit was one of series built in 1862 as second line of defence against U.S. troops advancing from Shiloh. — Map (db m50318) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Caboose #2994
The caboose was built in 1970 by the International Car Company of Kenton, Ohio. It operated on the Gulf, Mobile and Ohio Railroad until 1972 when the G,M & O merged with the Illinois Central Railroad forming the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad. In . . . — Map (db m107788) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Corinth
Began 1854 as Cross City. Proximity to Tennessee River and the railroads made it of great strategic value during Civil War. Battle of Corinth fought here, Oct. 3-4, 1862. — Map (db m21305) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Corinth
Began 1854 as Cross City. Proximity to Tennessee River and the railroads made it of great strategic value during the Civil War. Battle of Corinth fought here, Oct. 3-4, 1862. — Map (db m66533) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Corinth Confederate Memorial
In Memory of Confederate soldiers April -May 1862 who died from wounds or disease in the Siege of Corinth — Map (db m37280) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Corinth Confederate Monument
(front) Col. W.P. Rogers 2nd Texas Reg't. Killed at Ft. Robinette Oct. 4, 1862. As long as courage, manliness and patriotism exist, the name of Rogers will be honored among men. He fell in the front of battle in the . . . — Map (db m89036) WM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Corinth Panorama -- 1862
This view of Corinth appeared in Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, June 21, 1862, not long after the Union army captured the town. Despite some inaccuracies, it depicts a scene familiar to many thousands of troops from both armies. The . . . — Map (db m51758) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Fillmore Street Chapel
Corinth's oldest church bldg.; erected 1871 by Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the First church est. in Corinth. 1906~1976 served as Fillmore St. Pres. Ch. Now used as chapel by First United Methodist Church. — Map (db m28472) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Ft. Robinette
W. 1/2 mi. Now Confederate Park. Here, Oct. 5, 1862, during Battle of Corinth, occurred a C.S.A. charge as heedless of cost as those of Pickett at Gettysburg and Light Brigade at Balaclava. — Map (db m66738) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Generals' Headquarters
Built about 1857 for Hamilton Mask. Used in Civil War as Hq. of Generals Braxton Bragg, H.W. Halleck, and John B. Hood. Donated to Corinth in 1960 by S.H. Curlee family. — Map (db m66558) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Grant’s Headquarters
Site of hq. of Gen. Ulysses Simpson Grant in June, 1862. In mid-July Grant removed to plantation home of F. E. Whitfield, Sr., about 1 mi. S. of Corinth. — Map (db m21157) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Henry Cemetery
Founded in 1879 by the Milton B. Henry family on land sold by the Chickasaws to the U.S. government in 1832. Henry purchased 160 acres in 1856. Robert Henry Young, an infant grandson of M.B. Henry, was the first person buried here. The Henry . . . — Map (db m66591) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Johnston's Headquarters
Site of hq. of Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston, April 1~4, 1862. After his death at Shiloh, April 6, body was brought here where it lay in state, April 7, 1862. — Map (db m29280) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Oak Home
Built in 1857 for Judge W.H. Kilpatrick. Used in Civil War as headquarters of General Leonidas Polk. Bought in 1866 by Mrs. Thomas Quincy Martin and occupied continuously by her descendants. — Map (db m66557) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Oak HomeA look at Civil War Corinth — through the eyes of wartime artists and photographers
Judge W.H. Kilpatrick of Corinth had Oak Home built in 1857 by Tom Chesney, a local house designer and builder. Mr. M.S. Miller, a civil engineer working in Corinth shortly before the war, made this sketch in 1860, the only known Civil War vintage . . . — Map (db m66700) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Retreat From Battery F
This 5-gun Union battery stood between the attacking Confederates and Corinth's inner defenses. As the Battle of Corinth progressed, Confederate troops of Brig. Gen. Dabney H. Maury's division crossed the railroad and attacked from the north; Maj. . . . — Map (db m66689) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Site of Rose CottageA look at Civil War Corinth — through the eyes of wartime artists and photographers
Among Corinth’s countless stories of personal wartime tragedy is that of General Albert Sidney Johnston, Confederate Commander of the War in the West, who made his headquarters in Rose Cottage. After Johnston received a fatal wound at the Battle of . . . — Map (db m29291) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Site of the Corinth House Hotel
The Corinth House stood in the distance, facing the historic railroad crossing and the Tishomingo Hotel. This photograph shows it after the Union Army occupied Corinth. In the exciting months before Corinth fell to the Union Army in 1862, . . . — Map (db m51757) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Site of the Mitchell HouseA look at Civil War Corinth - — through the eyes of wartime artists and photographers
Corinth City Hall now occupies this site, but early in the war the Houston Mitchell family lived in this spacious home. A favorite house among the general officers who served in Corinth at various times, the Mitchell residence was used as . . . — Map (db m88942) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Site of the Provost Marshal's OfficeA look at Civil War Corinth — through the eyes of wartime artists and photographers.
The Moss House, one of Corinth's popular hotels, stood across this intersection. When the Union army occupied Corinth in 1862, the Provost Marshal established headquarters in the building. Army officers who served as provost marshal had the . . . — Map (db m66739) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Texas Memorial
(Front): Texas remembers the valor and devotion of its sons which served at Corinth and its surrounding environs during the Western Campaign of 1862. Here in the days following the retreat of Southern forces from the battlefield of . . . — Map (db m42632) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — The Curlee HouseA look at Civil War Corinth - — through the eyes of wartime artists and photographers
One of Corinth's founders, surveyor Hamilton Mask, built this Greek Revival home in 1857, pictured above as it appeared about 1862. It became known as the "Verandah House" because of its porches and served as headquarters for both Union and . . . — Map (db m88943) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — The Old Tishomingo HotelA look at Civil War Corinth — --through the eyes of wartime artists and photographers
Here, at the hub of activity in 1862, stood the Tishomingo Hotel. The railway station (hidden by the train) is at the crossing of the Mobile & Ohio and Memphis & Charleston railroads. The Tishomingo was popular as an unofficial railway station and . . . — Map (db m51753) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Union General Thomas Addresses the TroopsA look at Civil War Corinth - — through the eyes of wartime artists and photographers.
This unusual Civil War photograph captures a news event as it is happening, rather than recording its aftermath. In the middle of the scene is a canvas topped speakers platform from which Union Adjutant General Lorenzo Thomas is speaking to . . . — Map (db m89030) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — Union Troops at CorinthA look at Civil War Corinth — --through the eyes of wartime artists and photographers
Not a "spit and polish" outfit, but tough and practical fighters. A Civil War photographer caught this group in a candid mode. Before the 1850s, the public's conception of battle formed mostly from romanticized drawings and paintings. Photography . . . — Map (db m51755) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — View Toward Batteries Robinett and WilliamsA Look at Civil War Corinth — --through the eyes of wartime artists and photographers.
Looking northwest in this view along the right-of-way of the Memphis & Charleston RR, you can see the earthworks of Battery Williams to the left of the tracks. Battery Robinett lies in the distance to the right. One of the many military tent camps . . . — Map (db m29273) HM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Corinth — William P. RogersBattery Robinett
(front) Rogers Erected by the Texas Div. United Daughters of the Confederacy the surviving members of the family, and admiring friends August 15, A.D. 1912. (back) William P. Rogers A native of Alabama . . . — Map (db m89042) HM WM
Mississippi (Alcorn County), Jacinto — Jacinto
E. 9 mi. Founded 1836 as seat of “Old” Tishomingo, including present Alcorn & Prentiss counties. Named for battle of San Jacinto. Courthouse dates from 1854. Lost county seat, 1870. Home of Sen. E.W. Carmack. — Map (db m77399) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Centreville — Centreville(Elysian Fields)
Began as Spanish relay post. Was known prior to 1824 as Elysian Fields, or Amite Courthouse. Chartered in 1880. After 1884, new town, springing up on railroad, gradually absorbed old site. — Map (db m96426) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Crosby — Crosby
Named Dayton in 1884 in honor of David Day who gave the R.R. right-of-way. In 1917, Foster Creek Lumber & Mfg. Co. mill & town of Stephenson est. here. In 1934, named for L.O. Crosby who bought the vast co. holdings. — Map (db m96180) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Gloster — Gloster
On Mar. 11, 1884, Gloster City was chartered. Named for Capt. Arthur W. Gloster, R.R. engin. Located on watershed of Amite & Miss. Rivers. Elev. 435 Ft. On Apr. 6, 1935, a tornado hit the town killing 9 residents. — Map (db m96030) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Amite County Courthouse
The State's oldest courthouse, built in 1839-41, replaced the building located on this historic square. Seat of Amite County, formed Feb. 24, 1809. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m92615) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Amite Female Seminary
Locally known as the Little Red School House, the Amite Female Seminary was established in 1853 by Rev. Milton S. Shirk. The school's curriculum included music, literature, history, mathematics, modern languages, philosophy, science and physical . . . — Map (db m92629) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Battle Of Liberty
On November 16, 1864, Union cavalry under Col. Benjamin Marsh captured a small Confederate force at Liberty. Marsh had hoped to capture Brig. Gen. George Hodge, but he escaped. The next day, Brig. Gen. Albert Lee reinforced the Federals with 1,700 . . . — Map (db m92730) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Confederate Monument
Erected on land donated in 1868 by the Liberty Masonic Lodge, this Confederate monument was designed and built by A.J. Lewis. The shaft is inscribed with the names of 279 Amite County Confederate soldiers who died during the Civil War. Dedicated in . . . — Map (db m92709) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Herbert Lee
Herbert Lee, a 42-year-old dairy farmer in the Amite County area, became a member of the NAACP in the early 1950s. In the fall of 1961, Lee began transporting voting rights activists within the Pike and Amite County area. On September 25, 1961, . . . — Map (db m92564) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — 7 — Jerry Clower
(Side A) A Liberty native, Jerry Clower (1926-1998) brought his colorful, observant, comic stories of southern life — developed as a sales tool as he worked as a fertilizer salesman — to live shows, recordings, television, . . . — Map (db m92559) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Liberty
Founded 1809 and chartered 1828. Site of first Confederate monument in state, 1871. Here Gail Borden conducted condensed milk experiments. Dr. Tichenor's antiseptic was also originated here. — Map (db m92616) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Liberty Missionary Baptist Church
Founded as the Liberty Colored Church in March 1870 after fifteen black members requested letters of dismissal from Liberty Baptist Church to organize their own congregation. Under the leadership of their first pastor, Rev. Fred Stirling, these . . . — Map (db m92617) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Old Natchez District
Ceded by Choctaws & Chickasaws in Fort Adams Treaty, 1801, confirming earlier British treaty. Contained most of present Warren, Jefferson, Claiborne, Adams, Franklin, Wilkinson & Amite counties. — Map (db m92556) HM
Mississippi (Attala County), French Camp — Bethel Mission
About half a mile northwesterly, Bethel, meaning “House of God” was opened in 1822 as one of thirteen Choctaw mission stations. Indians, slaves, and other men “labored hard during four weeks ... frequently till 10 o’clock at night, . . . — Map (db m87479) HM
Mississippi (Attala County), French Camp — Cole Creek
Forests are fascinating places – whole new worlds unfold to anyone who takes time to explore them.      Across Cole Creek you will find a typical mixed hardwood forest. Here you can discover for yourself the many marvels in a bottomland . . . — Map (db m87477)
Mississippi (Attala County), Kosciusko — Hurricane Creek
Plants need water as much as men need money. Some are satisfied with little; some cannot flourish unless they have a lot; the majority can live contentedly with medium amounts.      From here, a trail descends to the vegetation that thrives in the . . . — Map (db m87476)
Mississippi (Attala County), Kosciusko — MFWC Birthplace
The Mississippi Federation of Women’s Clubs was founded here on May 25, 1898. Organized by Mrs. Fannie Clark Coleman of Kosciusko, charter clubs included Clarksdale, Jackson, Verona, Sallis, Okolona, Vicksburg, and Meridian. Mrs. D.N. Hebron was . . . — Map (db m72683) HM
Mississippi (Benton County), Michigan City — Mississippi Central R.R. Campaign
On October 14, 1862, Confederate Gen. John Pemberton assumed command in Mississippi and east Louisiana. Eleven days later, Gen. Ulysses Grant became commander of Union forces in the region. Over the next 8½ months, their forces fought for . . . — Map (db m84782) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — 9 — Amzie Moore — Mississippi Freedom Trail
Front Returning home from WWII, Cleveland businessman Amzie Moore (1911-1982) became a principal architect of early civil rights activism as a founding member of the Mississippi NAACP and the Regional Council of Negro Leadership. . . . — Map (db m90128) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Amzie Moore Home
Amzie Moore (1911-1982), a local Civil Rights leader, built this house in 1941. An army veteran, Moore also worked for the U.S. Postal Service. After returning from WWII, Moore dedicated himself to the civil rights movement, co-founding the . . . — Map (db m90074) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Bolivar County Confederate MonumentC.S.A.
Front (East) To the memory of our Confederate Dead. 1861-65. Dead upon the field of glory Hero fit for song and story. Rear (West) Bolivar County's tribute to southern heroism. No nation . . . — Map (db m90270) WM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Bolivar County Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of those veterans who made the supreme sacrifice in the World Wars. — Map (db m90465) WM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Cleveland
Named for President Grover Cleveland. Founded along Jones Bayou and Yazoo and Mississippi Valley R.R. in 1886. Downtown historic area listed in National Register of Historic Places in 1999. — Map (db m90069) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — David R. Bowen
A Cleveland High School graduate, Bowen (D-Miss.) served five terms in Congress (1973-1983). As chair of the Cotton, Rice, and Sugar Subcommittee and a member of the House Agriculture, Foreign Affairs, and Merchant Marine and Fisheries Committees, . . . — Map (db m89935) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Delta Blues Inspires W.C. Handy
While leading his orchestra at a dance on this site c. 1905, Handy was unable to perform requested blues numbers. A local band stepped in and stole the show. "My enlightenment came in Cleveland. That night an American composer was born," he . . . — Map (db m89932) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Hill Demonstration School
In 1926 the Hill Demonstration School opened for grades one through six, with kindergarten classes added in 1929. This laboratory-style school for Delta State student teachers had an initial enrollment of twenty-five and was housed in the basement . . . — Map (db m90127) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Margaret Wade
Lily Margaret Wade (1912-1995) was a standout on Cleveland High School’s girls basketball team and Delta State’s women’s basketball team. Compiling a CHS coaching record of 453-89-6, she began coaching the Lady Statesmen in 1973, winning the AIAW . . . — Map (db m90125) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — The Cleveland Chinese Mission School
Founded in 1937 by parents, Cleveland First Baptist Church, and community leaders to provide an education for children of Chinese descent who were excluded from area schools by the 1927 US Supreme Court decision, Gong Lum v. Rice. Students . . . — Map (db m90066) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — The Cleveland Depot
Four railroad depots have operated here since Cleveland was incorporated in 1886. The first depot—two Yazoo & Mississippi Valley RR cars tied together and parked on a side track—disappeared when a prankster hooked it to an outgoing . . . — Map (db m89937) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — 173 — The Enlightenment of W. C. Handy
Front In W.C. Handy's famous account of his "enlightenment" in Cleveland, a ragged local trio was showered with coins after Handy's orchestra of trained musicians had been unable to similarly excite the crowd. In early manuscripts of . . . — Map (db m90071) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — The Marshall Plan
A plan for relief of postwar Europe, suggested by Mississippi native Will Clayton, was first announced here May 8, 1947, by Under Secretary of State Dean Acheson at a meeting of the Delta Council. — Map (db m90126) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — AKA Mobile Health Project
From 1935 to 1942, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority established mobile health clinics to provide medical care to black people in the Delta. Dr. Dorothy Ferebee, a member of the sorority, was the project's director. Primarily based in Mound Bayou, the . . . — Map (db m89762) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — AKA Mobile Health Project
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. sponsored its first mobile health initiative, the Mississippi Health Project from 1935 - 1942. Dr. Dorothy Ferebee, a member of the sorority, was the project director. Ida Jackson was the . . . — Map (db m90149) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Delta Health Center1967
First rural community health center in the United States Opened by Tufts University as Tufts Delta Health Center Third health care facility in Mound Bayou Serves as a much needed health resource for the poor and . . . — Map (db m90509) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Friendship Clinic1948
United Order of Friendship of America opened Friendship Clinic under the leadership of Dr. T. R. M. Howard Second medical facility in Mound Bayou Renamed Sarah Brown Hospital Renamed Mound Bayou Community Hospital . . . — Map (db m90501) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Mound Bayou
Largest U.S. Negro town; settled July 12, 1887 by ex-slaves of Joe Davis, who conceived idea before Civil War: Isaiah T. Montgomery (member of 1890 state convention) & his cousin, Benjamin T. Green. — Map (db m89761) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — 161 — Mound Bayou Blues
Front Music has been one of the many facets of African American culture proudly nurtured by the community of Mound Bayou, ranging from blues and R&B in cafes, lounges, and juke joints to musical programs in schools, studios, and . . . — Map (db m90065) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Newton (Keys) Hotel Site
First hotel built in the Village of Mound Bayou "In the matter of sanitary surroundings, in the way of rooming arrangements, and culinary excellence with the matter of dining, the service at the Newton Hotel will satisfy the mostly . . . — Map (db m90470) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Site of Mound Bayou Oil Mill & Manufacturing Company(Cottonseed Oil) — 1912
Organized by Charles Bank Building dedication led by Booker T. Washington More than 15,000 attended dedicatory event Constructing Architect: Thomas W. Cook Construction Foreman: W. H. Cook — Map (db m90504) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — 8 — T. R. M. Howard — The Mississippi Freedom Trail
Front Mound Bayou businessman and physician Theodore Roosevelt Mason Howard (1908-1976) founded and led Mississippi's pre-eminent civil rights organization in the 1950s, the Regional Council of Negro Leadership. A charismatic speaker . . . — Map (db m90148) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Taborian Hospital1942
International Order of Twelve Knights and Daughters of Tabor, Inc. opened Taborian Hospital under the leadership of P. M. Smith Second oldest hospital for Blacks in Mississippi First hospital in Mound Bayou Placed on the . . . — Map (db m90467) HM
Mississippi (Calhoun County), Bruce — 194 — Calhoun County Blues
Front The musical heritage of Calhoun County was illuminated in 2014 via international acclaim for longtime Bruce resident and Sabougla native Leo “Bud” Welch, The guitarist and vocalist began playing blues in his teens and . . . — Map (db m107618) HM
Mississippi (Calhoun County), Calhoun City — Thomas T. Gore
First settler in what is now Calhoun City. Born 1776. Left S. Carolina in 1817 for Alabama. Came to Mississippi in 1840. Pioneer, politician, patriot, planter. Died October 20, 1855. Buried on old homesite ½ mi. NW. — Map (db m107543) HM
Mississippi (Carroll County), Coila — Sgt. John A. PittmanMedal of Honor
The Medal of Honor is the highest award for valor in action against an enemy force which can be bestowed upon an individual serving in the Armed Services of the United States of America. Sgt. Pittman earned this medal by his actions in Korea on 26 . . . — Map (db m62805) WM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Egypt — Egypt Station
During a raid in the winter of 1864-65, Union Brig. Gen. Benjamin Grierson's cavalry encountered Confederates at Egypt Station on the Mobile & Ohio R.R. The Confederate force included a large number of former Union prisoners of war released on . . . — Map (db m107541) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Houston — Bynum Mounds
(Marker #1) Prehistoric Trade Raw materials and articles from distant areas reached the Indians of the Bynum site by trade along trails that were the forerunners of the Natchez Trace.
  • Spool-shaped objects made of . . . — Map (db m84830) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Houston — Carnegie Library
Estab. in 1909, this is one of Mississippi's oldest community libraries and its first Carnegie library. School superintendent L.B. Reid secured money from Andrew Carnegie Foundation for this facility. — Map (db m107610) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Houston — Chickasaw County CSA Monument
(Front Side) Dedicated to the men of Chickasaw County who served in the War for Southern Independence 1861 - 1865 (Back Side) Infantry 2nd Miss. Regiment, Co. G 6th Miss. Regiment, Co. F 9th Miss. Regiment, . . . — Map (db m97568) WM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Houston — Chickasaw County Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the citizens of Chickasaw County who served our country in peacetime and war with honor Dedicated to the memory of all boys of Chickasaw County who gave their lives in service to their country World War I John . . . — Map (db m97569) WM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Houston — Houston
On Natchez Trace. Named for Sam Houston, friend of Joel Pinson, donor of site. Made county seat at creation of Chickasaw Co., Feb. 9, 1836. In 1909 state's first Carnegie library built here. — Map (db m107556) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Houston — Natchez Trace Through Chickasaw County
This monument marks the Natchez Trace through Chickasaw County. By the Treaty of Pontotoc in 1832, the Chickasaw Indians ceded to the United States their lands east of the Mississippi. In 1801-1802 the old Indian trail was converted into a wagon . . . — Map (db m97567) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Houston — Pinson SquareJoel Pinson — 1786 - 1852
Erected in 1982 in honor of Joel Pinson who donated 80 acres original survey for the town of Houston in 1836. He requested it be named for his friend, Sam Houston, previous governor of Tennessee and only president of Republic of Texas. — Map (db m97570) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), New Houlka — Archaeology at Owl Creek MoundsEarly Archaeology - Mound II
The first archaeological work at Owl Creek Mounds was supervised by Moreau Chambers in August, 1935. He was employed by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History and assisted by Slater Gordon. E.T. Winston, a Pontotoc journalist and local . . . — Map (db m84697) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), New Houlka — Archaeology at Owl Creek MoundsModern-Day Archaeology - Mound I
In the summers of 1991 and 1992, archaeology field schools from Mississippi State University worked to learn more about the site. Most of the excavations were done on top of Mounds I and II, with small test units dug into Mounds III, IV, and V. . . . — Map (db m84698) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), New Houlka — Archaeology Determines the Age of Owl Creek Mounds
Owl Creek Mounds were built between 800 and 900 years ago and were used for only about 100 years. This was determined by the dating of charcoal samples collected at the site and by studying the artifacts and type of building remains found in the . . . — Map (db m84699) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), New Houlka — De Soto's ExpeditionWas Owl Creek the Town of Chicasa?
Hernando De Soto landed in Florida at Tampa Bay in May, 1539. His army numbered around 800 Spaniards including two women. He also had 240 horses and several pigs. The expedition traveled through the Southeast to Texas and returned to the Mississippi . . . — Map (db m84690) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), New Houlka — Owl Creek MoundsA Ceremonial Site and Its Surrounding Area
The first humans came to North America by crossing the Bering Strait land bridge, which connected Siberia and Alaska. Their descendants arrived in this part of Mississippi nearly 12,000 years ago. The oldest mounds in the state were built by people . . . — Map (db m84696) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Battle of Okolona
In this vicinity on February 22, 1864, Benjamin Grierson ordered McCrillis' Federal brigade into a line of battle opposite Col. Barteau's Confederate brigade of Forrest's cavalry corps. Barteau's men, from the ridge east of the railroad, advanced as . . . — Map (db m102742) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Battle of Okolona
On February 22, 1864, Col. Jeffrey Forrest, commanding a Confederate cavalry brigade, was killed in action in this vicinity, near the extinct town of Prairie Mount. Born in 1838, Forrest was the younger brother of Lt. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, . . . — Map (db m102744) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Chickasaw County Confederate Tribute1861—1865
Chickasaw County's tribute to the sons who wore the gray and were faithful to the cause. Erected under auspices of Okolona Chapter U.D.C. No. 117. — Map (db m102750) WM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Confederate Cemetery
As a station on the Mobile and Ohio Railroad, Okolona was the site of a large hospital during the Civil War. In 1862, following the battle of Shiloh, hundreds of wounded Confederates were brought here by train. Those who died were buried in this . . . — Map (db m102747) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Okolona
Founded as Rose Hill 1845. Chartered as Okolona 1850. Named for Chickasaw Indian brave. Scene for three Civil War battles. First Mississippi Cavalry, C.S.A., was organized and equipped here. — Map (db m102748) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Okolona
Founded as Rose Hill 1845. Chartered as Okolona 1850. Named for Chickasaw Indian brave. Scene for three Civil War battles. First Mississippi Cavalry, C.S.A., was organized and equipped here. — Map (db m102749) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Okolona College
The Okolona Normal and Industrial School was founded in 1902 by Dr. Wallace A. Battle. It educated African Americans through high school and provided industrial training for young adults. At its peak, the school's enrollment topped two hundred . . . — Map (db m102740) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Okolona in the Civil War
Throughout the Civil War, Confederate forces were stationed in Okolona, taking advantage of the agriculturally rich prairie region. With a large supply depot, the town was the object of Union Raids at least twice. On February 22, 1864, Maj. Gen. . . . — Map (db m102746) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Our Confederate Dead Soldiers' Monument
Front Love's tribute to a thousand Southern soldiers who sleep in our Confederate cemetery, who died in the war 1861—1865. Right Side List of Dead Rear List of . . . — Map (db m102936) WM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Woodland — Old Trace
Preserved here is a portion of a nearly 200-year old road – the Old Natchez Trace. Maintaining this 500-mile long wilderness road in the early 1800's was a difficult if not hopeless task.      As you look down the sunken trench note the . . . — Map (db m84832) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — Ackerman
Chartered February 16, 1884, upon the arrival of the Canton, Aberdeen, & Nashville Railroad, and named for the company's president, William K. Ackerman. Since 1896 County Seat of Choctaw County. — Map (db m51200) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — Coleman's Mill
On Yockanookany, 1/2 mi. S., was built in 1836 water mill of W.R. Coleman of Fairfield Co. S.C., first white settler after Choctaw cession in Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek. — Map (db m51198) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — Jeff Busby Park
On February 15, 1934, while serving as U.S. Congressman from Mississippi, Thomas Jefferson Busby (1884-1964) introduced a bill authorizing a survey of the Old Natchez Trace. Four years later the historic road was designated a unit of the National . . . — Map (db m87481) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — The Great Eastern Hardwood Forest
(Marker #1) The Great Eastern Hardwood Forest Before Columbus, the world of the eastern Indian was one of a vast continuous forest stretching from Canada to the Gulf coast. A mature forest, it changed little over the centuries, and . . . — Map (db m87480) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — 139 — Two Steps From The Blues
"Two Steps From the Blues" might refer to Choctaw County's location, a bit off the path from the well-known blues highways and byways of Mississippi, but it is also the title of a classic blues song written by a native of Ackerman, "Texas" Johnny . . . — Map (db m51199) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), French Camp — Col. James Drane
President pro tem of the state Senate, 1857-65. Defeated by W. McWillie in governor’s race, 1857. Delegate to Charleston Dem. Convention, 1860. Son and grandson of Rev. soldiers. House moved here, 1981, and restored. — Map (db m87486) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), French Camp — French Camp
Louis Leflore first traded with the Choctaw Indians at a bluff now part of Jackson Mississippi. About 1812 he established his stand 900 feet to the northeast on the Natchez Trace.      Because of the storekeepers nationality, the area was often . . . — Map (db m87485) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), French Camp — Natchez Trace at French Camp
This memorial marks a stage on the “Natchez Trace.” The first highway opened through the lower South, by the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek in 1830, between the American government and the Choctaw Indians. The surrounding country became . . . — Map (db m87495) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Mathiston — Pigeon Roost
Pigeon Roost Creek, to your left, is a reminder of the millions of migrating passenger pigeons that once roosted in trees in this area. The species has been completely destroyed.      One mile east where the Natchez Trace crossed the creek, . . . — Map (db m87484) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Mathiston — The Old Natchez Trace
In the early 1800's many thoughtful Americans believed that isolation and the difficulties of communication would force the Mississippi Valley settlements to form a separate nation. Hoping to hold the frontier, Congress in 1800 established a post . . . — Map (db m87483) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Bruinsburg — Battle of Port Gibson – Grant’s MarchWindsor Battlefield Tour
The Battle of Port Gibson was one of the turning points of the War between the States, since this defeat of the Confederates led to the capture of Vicksburg. This strategic battle was fought eight miles west of Bethel Church on May 1, 1863. When . . . — Map (db m105841) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Bruinsburg — Battle of Port Gibson – The BattleWindsor Battlefield Tour
Confederate General Martin Green had posted his brigade near magnolia church with at outpost at the A.K. Shaifer House. Shortly after midnight, Green rode forward to check on his pickets. The General found Mrs. Shaffer and the ladies frantically . . . — Map (db m105844) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Bruinsburg — Bethel Churchc. 1845. Greek Revival. — Windsor Battlefield Tour
The original congregation of the Bethel Presbyterian Church organized in 1826 under the direction of Dr. Jeremiah Chamberlain, constructed this building in the mid 1840s. On the interior, ornamentation is completely lacking. The use of pilasters on . . . — Map (db m105784) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Bruinsburg — Canemount PlantationCa. 1855. Italianate Revival — Windsor Battlefield Tour
This house is considered the finest example of the Italianate Revival influence in Claiborne County. The house is located on the site of an earlier house built about 1826. — Map (db m105845) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Bombardment of Confederate Fortifications by Federal GunboatsFort Gibson Historic Tour
The river on April 29, 1863, was at flood stage and falling. It was overflowing its banks from the bluffs on the east to high ground beyond the flood pain to the west. The river bend upstream just above the "Point of Rocks" force the current of the . . . — Map (db m105714) HM

1228 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1028
Paid Advertisement