Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Texas

6735 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 6335
 
Pleasanton School Integration Marker image, Touch for more information
By John A Hensarling, June 23, 2012
Pleasanton School Integration Marker
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 16243 — Pleasanton School Integration
Pleasanton School District began educating African American children in 1913 with the creation of the Abraham Lincoln School. By 1955, students from the Lincoln School and white students were participating in football workouts together and . . . — Map (db m56602) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 4882 — Site of San Augustine Church
Between 1850 and 1860, Manuel, Enrique, and Francisco Esparza brought their families to settle in what is now Atascosa County. The brothers, along with their sister and mother, were within the walls of the Alamo when it fell to the Mexicans in March . . . — Map (db m56608) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 11697 — Verdi
By 1855, settlers primarily from Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, Missouri and Tennessee, as well as some of Spanish origin, were making their homes in this area and calling themselves Lucas Community because of their proximity to Lucas . . . — Map (db m56611) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Poteet — 155 — Amphion and Amphion Cemetery
Amphion traces its beginning to the establishment of Atascosa County's first courthouse which is believed to have been constructed near this site at the county seat of Navatasco in 1857. Amphion, thought to have been named after a figure in Greek . . . — Map (db m56582) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Poteet — 13595 — Anchorage Cemetery
The family of William and Mary Allen Stiggins emigrated here from Prince Edward Island, Canada, in 1882. Included in the group were their daughter Mary Jane (1855-1935), who had studied medicine, and her fiancé Thomas Whittet (1838-1913), a former . . . — Map (db m56633) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Poteet — 4092 — Poteet
The town of Poteet traces its history to the 1880s, when Francis Marion Poteet (1833-1907) established a mercantile store northeast of this area. A blacksmith and farmer as well as a merchant, Poteet began providing mail service to his customers. . . . — Map (db m56603) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Poteet — 4819 — Site of Jose Antonio Navarro Ranch Headquarters(2.3 Mi. SSE)
This land had once been allocated in the 1700s as a ranch for Mission San Jose in San Antonio (20 mi. N), but in the 1820s was left unsettled. In 1828 prominent San Antonio resident Jose Antonio Navarro (1795-1871) beseeched the Governor of the . . . — Map (db m111187) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Rossville — 4355 — Rossville
First Scottish community in southwest Texas. Founded 1873 by brothers William F.M. Ross and John C. Ross. Born in north Scotland, they came to Texas in 1867. Here they were awarded a contract to carry U.S. Mail. On the route, they noticed fertile . . . — Map (db m56606) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Rossville — 4356 — Rossville Cemetery
Texas statesman Jose Antonio Navarro (1795-1871) transferred land here along the Atascosa River to his eldest son Jose Antonio George Navarro. J.A.G. Navarro (b.1819) then gave 160 acres here to his daughter Maria Antonia Navarro (1845-1922) in . . . — Map (db m63703) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Rossville — 4559 — Sand Branch Baptist Church
Organized under a tree near this site on August 27, 1882, the pioneer Sand Branch Baptist Church began with twelve members from the surrounding rural area. Elder C.B. Hukill served as the congregation's first pastor. Early worship services, . . . — Map (db m56609) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Somerset — 3795 — Old Rock Baptist Church
Organized as Medina Baptist Church in April 1857 at Mann's Crossing, near Macdona. Until 1866, when members built an arbor here near Old Somerset, the services were held in homes or in a schoolhouse. Site for meetinghouse and cemetery (2.5 . . . — Map (db m56604) HM
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 243 — Austin County
A part of the grant to Stephen F. Austin in 1821 Created a municipality under the Mexican government in 1828 Became a county of the Republic of Texas, March 17, 1836 Named in honor of Stephen Fuller Austin, 1793-1836 Pioneer . . . — Map (db m125601) HM
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 244 — Austin County Jail
Calling their old jail "unsafe, unfit, and inadequate," the Austin County Court contracted in 1896 with Pauly Jail Building Co. of St. Louis to erect this structure at cost of $19,970. Romanesque Revival style, with crenelated parapets, bartizans, . . . — Map (db m125600) HM
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 11699 — Bellville
Brothers Thomas and James Bell came to this area from Florida in 1822 with Stephen F. Austin's colony and acquired about 2,000 acres of land in 1837. Thomas Bell offered a portion of his land at this site for a new townsite to replace San Felipe as . . . — Map (db m125599) HM
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 11703 — Bellville Turnverein Pavilion
In the 19th century two organizations, the Bellville Social Club and the Bellville Turnverein Gut Heil, sponsored community-wide social activities. The Social Club purchased this property from Herman Miller in 1883 and planned construction of a . . . — Map (db m117609) HM
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 18106 — First National Bank of Bellville
The First National Bank of Bellville, chartered on February 25, 1890, is the oldest bank in Austin County, and one of four national banks in Texas still in existence that were chartered in 1890. The first officers were E. J. Marshall, President; C. . . . — Map (db m125598) HM
Texas (Austin County), Industry — 1941 — Charles Fordtran(May 7, 1801-Nov. 1, 1900)
In Jan. 1831 Charles Fordtran, a German of Huguenot descent, joined the colony of Stephen F. Austin. His first work was to survey land for Austin's partner, Samuel May Williams. He was given a league (4,428.4 acres) as his fee. Soon he brought in . . . — Map (db m30780) HM
Texas (Austin County), Industry — 2438 — Henniger Family Cemetery(1 mi. west of this site)
Nicholaus Henniger (1794-1853) came to Texas from Germany in 1847 with his wife Fredericke and children Christian, Hermann, August, Caroline and Pauline. On his farm he built a log house, kept peace with passing Indians, and prospered as a . . . — Map (db m96289) HM
Texas (Austin County), New Ulm — 16009 — Frnka Family Cemetery
In 1926, Jan Jindrich Frnka (d. 1935) and his wife, Cecilie (Kroulik) (d. 1933), conveyed property to three trustees for use as a family burial ground. J.J. and Cecilie Frnka were parents of thirteen children; all of the children, with the exception . . . — Map (db m30737) HM
Texas (Austin County), New Ulm — 16010 — New Ulm Cemetery
The town of New Ulm was originally called Duff's Settlement at the time of its founding, and was named for James C. Duff, who in 1841 acquired title to the site upon which the settlement was founded. A post office began operation in 1853. At that . . . — Map (db m30726) HM
Texas (Austin County), Round Top — 4669 — Town of Shelby
Named for 1822 settler David Shelby, this town grew up at the mill of German pioneer Otto Von Roeder. The Ohlendorfs, Vogelsangs, Rothermels, and Vanderwerths arrived in 1845; other Germans came in ensuing years. The post office opened 1846 with . . . — Map (db m96288) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 5514 — A Town Hall
Near this site stood A Town Hall Built about 1830 in which were held the First and Second Conventions of Texas, 1832 and 1833, and the Consultation of 1835 the provisional government functioned here until March 2, 1836, when . . . — Map (db m43759) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 11707 — Early Roads To San Felipe
During the mid-1820's, When Stephen F. Austin was founding this town, the only roads in the area were wagon ruts or beaten trails marked by notched trees. Within a decade, however, the village of San Felipe, one of the first Anglo settlements in . . . — Map (db m43718) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 2678 — J.J. Josey General Store
Built by John Crutcher in 1847 on the Plaza de Commercio in San Felipe, this was the last store built in the town after its 1836 burning by military order. Purchased in 1867 by Dr. J.J. Josey, it was in continuous operation as a store until 1942. . . . — Map (db m43760) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — John Bricker
In memory of John Bricker a private in Captain Mosley Baker’s company, who was killed just across the river from this site April 7th 1836 by a shot from a Mexican cannon, and was buried where he fell. He was born in Cumberland . . . — Map (db m43758) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 4536 — San Felipe de Austin
First Anglo-American capital of Texas. Came into being on July 26, 1828, as capital of the Austin Colony, by decree of the Mexican government. Father of Texas Stephen F. Austin had begun under the 1821 grant from Mexico the settlement of more than . . . — Map (db m116924) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 4537 — San Felipe de Austin Cemetery
San Felipe de Austin was established in 1824 as the community and administrative headquarters of Stephen F. Austin's original Anglo American colony in Texas. The site for the township was chosen by Austin and the Baron Felipe Enrique Neri de . . . — Map (db m116994) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 11706 — San Felipe United Methodist Church
In 1837, the town of San Felipe de Austin was incorporated and the town council built a multi-purpose building to be used as a town hall, school, and church on land known as “Constitution Square.” The one-story building was constructed . . . — Map (db m116927) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 249 — Stephen F. Austin's Cabin
Replica of Stephen F. Austin's Cabin This structure is a replica of the only Texas home of Stephen F. Austin, “Father of Texas.” The chimney contains bricks from original (1828) cabin. Other materials were made as authentically . . . — Map (db m43761) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 248 — Stephen Fuller Austin
Stephen F. Austin • Father of Texas, November 3, 1793-December 27, 1836. He planted the first Anglo-American colony in Texas • "The Old Three Hundred"• In his several colonies he settled more than a thousand families. He was from 1823 until 1828 the . . . — Map (db m116925) HM
Texas (Austin County), Sealy — 11967 — Liedertafel
Sealy's German immigrants were famous for their love of music. A group of men, some of them Sealy's pioneer settlers, had formed a singing society, called Liedertafel, by 1899. They met primarily in the home of Ferdinand Lux. Lux and Fritz Kinkler, . . . — Map (db m71567) HM
Texas (Austin County), Wallis — 6344 — Martin Allen(November 28, 1780 - December 30, 1837)
As a young man Martin Allen assisted his father, Benjamin, in surveying roads in their native state of Kentucky. He married Elizabeth Vice in 1804 and by 1810 they and their three children were living in Louisiana. Martin joined the . . . — Map (db m61299) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Enochs — 14145 — Enochs Cemetery
This burial ground has served the community of Enochs since the early 20th century. In 1924, Isaac C. Enochs, Jr. (d. 1958), a land speculator and sheep rancher, donated land for the settlement, including a site for a cemetery. The oldest interment . . . — Map (db m73661) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Enochs — 14460 — La Pista de Vida Agua
La Pista de Vida Agua (Trail of Living Water) crossed the Llano Estacado, linking several lakes in the region. Three lakes in Bailey County lie along the trail: Coyote Lake, where the Mackenzie Expedition camped; Monument Lake; and White Lake . . . — Map (db m73662) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 276 — Bailey County
. . . — Map (db m73669) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 11719 — Bailey County Cemetery
When Mariah “Aunt Rye” Long died in 1918, Emil and Anna Wellsandt offered a parcel of their land on this site for use as a public burial ground. Several others were buried in 1918, most of them victims of the influenza epidemic. The . . . — Map (db m73698) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 1732 — First Irrigation Well in Bailey County
Dug by hand in 1909 on farm of Willard Burns. A pit well (large enough for workmen to enter), it measured 6 by 10 feet across and 15 feet deep. A 10-inch centrifugal pump removed 1,000 gallons of water per minute. Upon its completion, settlers from . . . — Map (db m104431) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 3530 — Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge
Founded in 1935 as a wintering area for migratory waterfowl, Muleshoe Wildlife Refuge is on the “central flyway” in a chain of refuges from Mexico to Canada. Migrating birds begin arriving in August and remain until April. The largest . . . — Map (db m73667) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 3752 — Old Hurleyone-half mile west to townsite of
First town in Bailey County. Promoted in 1907 by land company of Stevens A. Coldren (d. 1924). He had a townsite surveyed and named it for Patrick J. Hurley (1883-1963), New Mexico political leader. Company built general store, hotel and livery . . . — Map (db m73697) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 3531 — Old Muleshoe Ranch Cookhouse
Built in Parmer County about 1897. Bought and moved here about 1902. Dodge City couple moving to Texas found shoe thrown by mule. Used it for good luck and as branding iron on ranch to which this old cookhouse belonged. Recorded . . . — Map (db m73671) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 5337 — The Founding of Bailey County
Bailey County was created August 21, 1876, and named for Peter James Bailey, a Kentucky lawyer killed at the Alamo during the Texas War for Independence. This was thinly settled cattle country; Bailey was attached for judicial purposes to . . . — Map (db m73670) HM
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 5384 — The Mule
Without ancestral pride or hope for offspring, the mule -- along with buffalo, hound and longhorn -- made Texas history. In war he carried cannon on his back. Because he was available to haul freight, forts rose on frontiers. Indians ate horses . . . — Map (db m104432)
Texas (Bailey County), Muleshoe — 5456 — XIT Ranch South Line(About 100 feet south of this marker)
One of most famous boundaries in Texas. Marked edge of XIT — ranch empire bartered away by Texas for its Capitol building. The 16th Legislature in 1879 designated a 3,000,000-acre tract to be used in payment for the Capitol. The grant . . . — Map (db m73668) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 290 — Bandera County
A strategic Indian point in early days. Rangers and Comanches struggled here in 1843. In 1854 Elder Lyman Wight settled Mormon colony. In 1855 Poles settled here. From early days a part of Bexar County, created and organized in 1856 Bandera, . . . — Map (db m117676) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 291 — Bandera County Courthouse
First permanent courthouse for county, which was organized in 1856, but used makeshift quarters for offices and courtrooms until this building was erected 1890-91. Style is local version of the Second Renaissance Revival. White limestone for the . . . — Map (db m111201) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 18179 — Bandera Historic Town Center
The origin of the name of Bandera Pass and its namesake city and county dates back to conflicts between the Spanish Army and native Lipan Apaches in the early 18th century. The history of the townsite began in the early 1840s, when Charles de Montel . . . — Map (db m130359) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 293 — Bandera Pass
Celebrated Indian pass known from the earliest days of Spanish settlement · Identified with many a frontier fight and many a hostile inroad · Old ranger trail from the Medina to the Guadalupe River and the United States Army route between frontier . . . — Map (db m24384) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 17596 — Bandera, "Cowboy Capital of the World"
The tradition of the Texas cowboy originated from northern Mexico with the vaqueros, individuals mounted on horseback who herded livestock, mainly cattle, through the open prairie. These men became legends in Bandera County. The City of Bandera . . . — Map (db m130352) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — Bandera, Texas USAState of Texas Resolutions
July 12, 1984 - The State of Texas House of Representatives, House Concurrence Resolution No. 94, signed by Texas Governor Mark White. "Be it additionally resolved that the Texas county of Bandera be declared the international headquarters . . . — Map (db m130398) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 294 — Bandera's First Bank
Bandera's First Bank. On Texas Republic land grant. Hand-cut native rock. Built about 1860. A school, home, shop. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965Map (db m130358) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 668 — Camp Montel C.S.A. / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense
(side 1) Camp Montel C.S.A. Site 25 mi. West on Hy. 470, 1 mi. South. Established 1862 as part of Red River-Rio Grande defense line. Named for Captain Charles DeMontel, surveyor and colonizer of Bandera, leader of county . . . — Map (db m111200) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 718 — Captain Jack Phillips(1839-1876)
A Bandera County Deputy Sheriff, Capt. Jack Phillips, set out alone on Dec. 29, 1876, on an official visit to Sabinal Canyon. Indians attacked him at Seco Canyon Pass, 22 miles southwest of Bandera. Phillips raced for the nearest settlement. When . . . — Map (db m117712) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 1599 — First Bandera County Courthouse
Georgia stonemason Henry White is credited with building this structure about 1868. In 1877 a store occupied the first floor and the Masonic Lodge met on the top floor. County commissioners bought the building that year to provide space for county . . . — Map (db m130355) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 17843 — Great Western Cattle Trail
The Great Western Cattle Trail (also known as the Old Texas Trail and the Dodge City Trail) was the longest of all 19th century trails used to drive cattle from Texas to distant markets. In 1874, Capt. John T. Lytle and other cowboys led 3,500 . . . — Map (db m130351) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 3474 — Mormon Settlers in Bandera County
Entered the year-old town of Bandera in March, 1854. Leader was Lyman Wight, church elder who had separated from followers of Brigham Young and taken a colony of 250 to Texas in 1846. Settling first in Austin, then Fredericksburg (where they . . . — Map (db m130135) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 3750 — Old Huffmeyer Store
Built 1873 for E. Huffmeyer & brother, by B.F. Langford, Sr., contractor; of native stone. Bandera's oldest building. Used over 30 years by W.J. Davenport, Sr., as general store. Damaged by fire, 1936. Restored and remodeled by Thomas . . . — Map (db m111521) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 3755 — Old Jail & Courthouse
Built 1881. Local stone, cypress floors used. Housed county offices until 1890. Used 57 years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965Map (db m130354) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 3823 — Old Texas Ranger Trail
This winding, 100-mile trail from San Antonio to Kerrville was, during the 19th century, a strategic patrol road traveled by Texas Rangers to protect the surrounding area from hostile Indian attacks. During uneasy pioneer days roads such as . . . — Map (db m117711) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 5082 — St. Stanislaus Convent and First Catholic School
Polish settlers, who came to Bandera in 1855, built this convent and Catholic school in 1874. All classes, except religion and music, were moved in 1882 to a nearby frame school building. In 1922 a second story was added to the native limestone . . . — Map (db m130357) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 13423 — The Mills of Bandera
Communities in the 19th century relied on mills to provide lumber, shingles, flour and cloth. Local millers and blacksmiths were integral community members, providing the necessary materials for early development. Stephen F. Austin reported in 1833 . . . — Map (db m130356) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Vanderpool — 4862 — Site of Old Taylor School
Founded 1883, named for Henry Taylor. He, Gid Thompson and other early settlers gave land and founded school. First trustees were D. Harper, H. Kennedy, H. Taylor. First one-room frame building had homemade desks and recitation benches. . . . — Map (db m111332) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9157 — Baron de Bastrop Monument
Erected in recognition of the distinguished service to Texas of Felipe Henrique Neri, Baron de Bastrop, 1770-1829. Pioneer Red River empresario. Land Commissioner of Austin’s Colony, member of the Congress of Coahuila and Texas. Through his . . . — Map (db m126756) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9152 — Bastrop County
A part of Austin's grant in 1821 created the municipality of Mina 1834, became the County of Mina in the Republic of Texas 1836 Name changed to "Bastrop" December 18, 1837, in honor of Felipe Enrique Neri Baron de Bastrop, 1770-1829 land . . . — Map (db m118740) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9153 — Bastrop County Courthouse
Bastrop County Courthouse - 1883 Entered in the National Register of Historic Places 1975 — Map (db m126754) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9154 — Bastrop County Jail
Designed by Eugene T. Heiner of Houston, this building was erected in 1891-92 by contractors Martin, Byrne & Johnston. Red brick trim decorates the tan brick walls. A pressed metal cornice encircles the structure, and a mansard roof tops one . . . — Map (db m126757) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9163 — Captain James Burleson
Chosen commissary by General Andrew Jackson, War of 1812 Edward Burleson, his son, accompanied him as book-keeper Participated in the Battle of New Orleans January 8, 1815 Served under his son, Edward, Army of Texas, in the Grass . . . — Map (db m111111) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9151 — Early History of the City of Bastrop
Long before white men arrived, this region was inhabited by Tonkawa and Comanche Indians. In 1691 the first Spanish explorers crossed this territory en route to east Texas. From their route, parts of “El Camino Real” (the King's Highway) . . . — Map (db m126751) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 13216 — Fairview Cemetery
The City of Bastrop was first laid out between 1830 and 1832. Included in the initial community plat was a twelve-acre cemetery overlooking the colony. Tradition holds that the first known grave was that of Sarah Wells (d. 1831), a child of early . . . — Map (db m117717) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9185 — Felipe Entrique Neri, Baron De Bastrop1770 - 1829
Erected in recognition of the distinguished service to Texas of Felipe Entrique Neri, Baron De Bastrop 1770 - 1829 Pioneer Red River empresario. Land commissioner of Austin's colony. Member of the Congress of Coahuila and Texas. In . . . — Map (db m111113) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 12528 — First Baptist Church of Bastrop
On August 3, 1850, Elder G.G. Baggerly, pastor at the First Baptist Church of Austin, organized the Missionary Baptist Church of Bastrop with eleven members. On September 5, 1850, the new church sent its first messengers to the Colorado Baptist . . . — Map (db m65220) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9188 — First National Bank of Bastrop
First bank in county. In early days, money for safekeeping was placed with mercantile firms. Organized as "Bank of Bastrop County," in March 1889; became a national bank on Aug. 10, 1889. Presidents of this bank have been J.C. Buchanan, . . . — Map (db m65150) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 16996 — H. P. Luckett House
In 1892 the city sold the old Bastrop Academy lot to Dr. Humphrey Powell Luckett (1847-1925) and his wife, Frances "Fannie" (Haynie) (1849-1930). The couple married and moved to Bastrop in 1869, raising five sons. By late 1893, their home designed . . . — Map (db m65121) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 12388 — Home Town of Texas Confederate Major Joseph D. Sayers1841 - 1929
(Front) Born Mississippi. Came to Texas 1851. Enlisted here as private 1861. Adjutant 5th Texas Cavalry in Arizona-New Mexico Campaign to make Confederacy an ocean to ocean nation. At age 20 made captain for gallantry in Battle of Valverde. . . . — Map (db m126753) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9208 — Lost Pines of Texas
Located 80 miles west of the main pine belt of Texas, these trees probably were once part of vast, prehistoric pine forests. As land areas gradually rose, possibly due to glacier activity, most of the forests moved east. Ideal local conditions have . . . — Map (db m126804) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 18314 — Mina Ward School
Bastrop was established as a Mexican municipality (later renamed Mina) in 1832. As in many Texas towns, early 20th century grade schools here were segregated into three campuses, with separate facilities for Mexican American, African American and . . . — Map (db m130825) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 15947 — Primera Baptist Church
On March 1, 1903, Primera Iglesia Bautista organized as the culmination of mission work carried out by Primera Iglesia Bautista of Welder. By 1907, the congregation constructed their first church building. Led by the Rev. Paul C. Bell, the growing . . . — Map (db m65155) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9223 — Rockne
Beginning as a farming community, Rockne traces its roots to German settlers who came to the area in the 1840s. In November 1846, the Daniel and Mortiz Lehman families arrived at Indianola, Texas from Schlesien, Prussia. They soon settled in this . . . — Map (db m118404) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9240 — Samuel Wolfenberger(1804 - 1860)
Early land grantee in this area. Of Dutch descent, he was born in Virginia. Came to Texas (then part of Mexico) in 1831 as a colonist of Stephen F. Austin, the "Father of Texas."

Received a Spanish league of land (4,444 acres) here. Active in . . . — Map (db m118406) HM

Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9156 — Site of Bastrop Military Institute
A Methodist Institution · Chartered January 24, 1852 as Bastrop Academy · · Rechartered under the Auspices of the Methodist Episcopal Church South in 1853 · In 1856 became the Bastrop Military Institute — Map (db m65159) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 13123 — The Bastrop Advertiser
In June 1852, Bastrop's Colorado Reveille newspaper ended its brief run. In December of that year, William J. Cain, a young printer from Mississippi, bought the press and printing materials and started the Bastrop Advertiser. The newspaper . . . — Map (db m65157) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9190 — The Gotier Trace
Originated in 1820s. Crossed the present counties of Austin, Washington, Fayette, Lee, Bastrop; joined San Felipe, capital of Stephen F. Austin's colony, with Bastrop. Marked by James Gotier, a settler who (with several in his family) died in an . . . — Map (db m126807) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 13114 — Thomas H. Mays
Thomas H. Mays was born in 1802 in Virginia and emigrated to Texas from Tennessee in 1830. In 1834, he became Bastrop's first municipal surveyor and platted the city's new streets. Two years later, he was wounded in the leg at the Battle of San . . . — Map (db m65221) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9235 — Union Hill Missionary Baptist Church
According to local tradition this site was used by area slaves for gathering purposes. Silvie Story, William Hill, Martha Young, Paulie Johnson, Grant McBride, and Martha J. Hill organized this church in 1864 with the help of the Rev. Joshua Brice. . . . — Map (db m82620) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — War Babies
During WWII, over 300,000 troops were trained seven miles north of Bastrop at Camp Swift. Many women moved to Bastrop for a few months to be near their soldier one last time before his deployment overseas. Some of these women, upon the death of a . . . — Map (db m117781) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — Wilbarger's Bend
Founded in 1827 by Josiah Pugh Wilbarger of Austin's Colony Beginning of Wilbarger's Trace, blazed by his son James Harvey Wilbarger 1860 with slaves and ox-wagons carrying commerce to Corpus Christi and Matamoros, Mex. — Map (db m82611) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Cedar Creek — Bluff Trail Overlook
The bluff stands 80 feet above the Colorado River at Wilbarger Bend. Josiah Wilbarger was an early settler whose family owned the land on the opposite side of the river during the 1800s. Josiah was one of a few Texans who were scalped and lived to . . . — Map (db m79096) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Elgin — 9182 — Elgin Methodist Church
Organized in 1874 as the Elgin Methodist Episcopal Church, South, this was the first congregation started in the town of Elgin. A small frame sanctuary built here in 1882 was replaced by this Gothic revival structure. Built by local contractor J. C. . . . — Map (db m119483) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Elgin — 9171 — Site of the Home of Col. Robert M. Coleman — (1799 -1837) —
Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence Aide-de-camp to Gen. Houston at San Jacinto Commander of a regiment of Rangers 1836-37 Here his widow Mrs. Elizabeth Coleman and son, Albert V. Coleman were killed by Indians and . . . — Map (db m82688) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Smithville — Smithville
In 1691 missionaries on the expedition of Don Domingo Teran De Los Rios sighted a lagoon which the Indians called Nenocadda. The lagoon, known today as Shipp's Lake, is on the southern edge of present Smithville. Frederick W. Grasmeyer operated a . . . — Map (db m41902) HM
Texas (Baylor County), Seymour — Baylor County
Created February 1, 1858 Organized April 23, 1879 Named in honor of Dr. Henry W. Baylor 1818-1854 Indian fighter and Ranger Captain served in the Mexican War. Seymour, the County Seat — Map (db m128751) HM
Texas (Bee County), Beeville — 16421 — Barnard E. Bee, Sr.August 23, 1787 - April 9, 1853
Statesman, soldier and ambassador, Barnard Elliot Bee, Sr., was a significant figure during Texas’ years as a republic (1836-45). He was born in South Carolina to federal judge, Thomas Bee, and Susannah (Bulline) Bee. In 1809, he married Ann Wragg . . . — Map (db m132429) HM
Texas (Bee County), Beeville — 12317 — Bee County Courthouse
Bee County was created in 1857 from parts of five neighboring counties. The first county seat was located seven miles east of this site, and the first commissioners court was held on the banks of Medio Creek in February 1858. The city's earliest . . . — Map (db m32200) HM
Texas (Bee County), Beeville — 354 — Beeville on the Poesta
Long before Mexico granted land (1834) on Poesta Creek to the first settlers, Anne Burke and James Heffernan, savage Indians roamed this valley at will. Their colony, although successful at first, soon met disaster. In 1836 James Heffernan, his . . . — Map (db m32211) HM
Texas (Bee County), Beeville — 15808 — Beeville Post Office
The first post office was established in Beeville in 1859, the year after the town's founding. The 1918 building was the first Beeville post office constructed on Federal property - previous locations were county- or privately-owned. The building . . . — Map (db m132430) HM
Texas (Bee County), Beeville — 7146 — Commercial National Bank
The Commercial National Bank of Beeville traces its history to January 1893 when several prominent citizens met to organize a financial institution. Elected as officers were Dr. L.B. Creath, A.G. Kennedy, John I. Clare, and D.C. Stone. The bank . . . — Map (db m32293) HM
Texas (Bee County), Beeville — Douglas A4 SkyhawkCarrier Based Jet Attack Aircraft designed for the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps
Early models of the A4 entered service in 1956 and were produced over a longer time than any other jet in the world. Its simplicity and effectiveness allowed numerous improved models to be developed. The A4 series was used extensively in Vietnam and . . . — Map (db m32265) HM
Texas (Bee County), Beeville — 1692 — First Brick Building on Square
Victorian architecture. Built 1892 by grocer J.C. Thompson (1836-1905) of brick from Calavaros Kiln near Elmendorf. Upstairs in 1892 was law office of Lon C. Hill, who later founded Harlingen. Afterward on second floor was . . . — Map (db m132431) HM
Texas (Bee County), Beeville — 1790 — First National Bank of Beeville
Beeville, the county seat of Bee County since 1860, did not have a secure bank until 1890, when the First National Bank of Beeville opened for business. Prior to that year, the town's only banking facility was A.C. Jones' general store, where some . . . — Map (db m32296) HM
Texas (Bee County), Beeville — 3840 — McClanahan House
Oldest business structure in Beeville, erected about 1867 on east side of courthouse square, near Poesta Creek. General store, lodging house, post office. Pioneer western style, with southern porches. Built by G.W. McClanahan, Beeville's first . . . — Map (db m32242) HM
Texas (Bee County), Beeville — 3315 — Medio CreekSignificant natural landmark
Named by the Spaniards about 1800 because of its midway position between the San Antonio and Nueces Rivers. Rises in Karnes County; empties into Mission River. Crossed by explorers, padres, soldiers, settlers who traveled on three early ox-cart . . . — Map (db m32271) HM
Texas (Bee County), Beeville — 4104 — Praeger Building
San Antonio businessman Albert Praeger (1864-1930) moved to Beeville in the 1890s to open a hardware store and tin shop. He built this Romanesque Revival structure in 1906 to house his business, which included buggies and wagons as well as barbed . . . — Map (db m132433) HM
Texas (Bee County), Beeville — 14265 — St. Rose Cemetery
This historic African American burial ground is associated with two congregations organized in the 1880s. Many buried here were members of Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church or Jones Chapel United Methodist Church. Some burials took place prior to . . . — Map (db m32235) HM
Texas (Bee County), Normanna — 7127 — Community of Normanna
Settlement dates from about 1850. First town, 2 miles west, was called San Domingo for its location near junction of San Domingo and dry Medio Creeks. After railroad was built, 1886, citizens moved to Walton (new flag station) to be on line. Name . . . — Map (db m121886) HM
Texas (Bee County), Skidmore — 198 — Aransas Creek Settlers
Earliest known residents were Karankawa Indians who named creek. On this stream was one of the most famous ranches in early Texas, occupied in 1805 by Don Martin de Leon, who in 1824 founded Victoria. In 1830's Irish colonists came by way of . . . — Map (db m32334) HM
Texas (Bee County), Skidmore — 3934 — Papalote Creek
A few yards south passes Papalote Creek, crossed by the fierce Karankawa Indians who found kite-shaped pebbles and named it Papalote, which means,"kite-shaped" or "wing-shaped". Along its banks came the leaders of the Power and Hewetson colonists, . . . — Map (db m32345) HM
Texas (Bee County), Tuleta — 5496 — Tuleta
The Rev. Peter Unzicker led a group of Illinois settlers here in 1906. Buying 53.4 acres of land of the original Uranga Grant and later Chittim-Miller Ranch, he founded Tuleta, named for the daughter of J. M. Chittim. A rail depot and post office . . . — Map (db m121884) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 313 — Bartlett Electric Cooperative
Although the town of Bartlett had regular electric service by 1905, farmers in the surrounding rural area were not supplied with electricity until thirty years later. On May 11, 1935, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt signed an executive order . . . — Map (db m28816) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 314 — Bartlett Grammar School
By the early 1900s Bartlett had become the railroad center of a prosperous cotton growing region. In 1903 the Bartlett Independent School district was created. By 1906-07 the 5-room schoolhouse here proved inadequate to house the district's . . . — Map (db m29035) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 315 — City of Bartlett
Settlers began moving to this area in the 1830s, when Texas was a Republic, but the town of Bartlett was not established until the 1870s. The founders were J. Edward Pietzsch and Capt. John T. Bartlett, for whom the community was named. In 1882 the . . . — Map (db m29040) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 12393 — Donahoe Community
Colonists settled in the late 1840s along the fertile Donahoe Creek. Samuel Gibbs Leatherman (1799-1888) arrived in 1854 and opened the first mercantile store. He gave land for the cemetery and brought in the first doctor. In 1880 Leatherman donated . . . — Map (db m29073) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 1613 — First Baptist Church of Bartlett
Originally known as Pecan Grove Baptist Church, this fellowship was organized in 1873 by the Rev. M.V. Smith, the Rev. H.I. Kimball, and the Rev. G.W. Baines, great-grandfather of United States President Lyndon Baines Johnson. In 1884 the church was . . . — Map (db m29036) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 12974 — Site of Booker T. Washington School
With overcrowded buildings at the African American school in southwestern Bartlett, the Bartlett trustees bought four buildings from Camp Swift in Bastrop to enlarge the facilities. A bond issue passed in 1948, and plans began for a U-shaped . . . — Map (db m29037) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 2177 — Site of German-English School(50 Yards West)
Established by German immigrants in 1880, the German-English School was an early school in the Bartlett area. First called Indian Creek School, the name was changed due to popular usage and the nature of instruction, which was in English during the . . . — Map (db m29039) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 5038 — St. John Lutheran Church
The first Lutheran worship services in this area were held at the home of early German settler J.E. Pietzsch, who had moved from Austin County. In 1880 a small school and church building was erected on land donated by John Bartlett, for whom the . . . — Map (db m29038) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 5126 — Stockton Family Cemetery
The Stockton Family Cemetery is located on land originally granted in 1859 by Texas governor Hardin R. Runnels to Moses Allen, a veteran of the Siege of Bexar. Douglas Hayden Stockton and his wife Mary Elizabeth (White) brought their family to Bell . . . — Map (db m28455) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 5891 — Woman's Wednesday Club
What began in 1902 as an idea to organize a women's club with a focus on literature and history became a reality in April 1903, with the formation of a Woman's Study Club. Chartered with nineteen members under the leadership of Mrs. Vena (Holzgraf) . . . — Map (db m29041) HM
Texas (Bell County), Belton — 357 — Bell County
Settlement began on Lampasas River, 1847. Created Jan. 22, organized Aug. 1, 1850. Named for Peter Hansbrough Bell (1812-1898), native of Virginia; veteran of Battle of San Jacinto; served in Somervell expedition to stop Mexico's Raids into Texas; . . . — Map (db m29379) HM
Texas (Bell County), Belton — 12575 — Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Planing Mill
Built in 1912 at the Santa Fe rail yards in Temple, this planing mill was part of a complex of buildings that housed repair facilities for the railroad. Workers at the mill manufactured replacement parts for wooden elements of the Santa Fe's boxcars . . . — Map (db m29380) HM
Texas (Bell County), Belton — 3100 — Little River Fort
A stockade and blockhouse of the Republic of Texas. Built in November, 1836, by a unit of some 20 Rangers under Lt. George B. Erath (soldier-statesman for whom Erath County was named). By Christmas they had erected 7 or 8 cabins, a blockhouse and . . . — Map (db m29378) HM
Texas (Bell County), Belton — 5859 — Wilson Van Dyke(Dec 25, 1817 - Aug. 3, 1881)
A native of South Carolina, Wilson Van Dyke served as a member of the Somervell Expedition, which was organized in 1842 to expel the Mexican Army from Texas. Under command of Col. W.S. Fisher, he crossed the Rio Grande and was captured. A survivor . . . — Map (db m29382) HM
Texas (Bell County), Holland — 15915 — Holland Community
Present-day Holland has its origins in three different settlements. Settlers first came here during the 1830s to farm the area’s fertile soil. A community named Mountain Home (0.5 mi SE) formed along Darrs Creek and included a school, church, . . . — Map (db m75700) HM
Texas (Bell County), Holland — 12512 — Post Oak Cemetery
The only physical remnant of the Post Oak community, this cemetery began as the burial ground for the family of Isham McMillin, who acquired land in this part of Bell County in 1855. The oldest marked grave, that of McMillin’s daughter Elizabeth, . . . — Map (db m89692) HM
Texas (Bell County), Holland — 6493 — The Woman's Study Club of Holland
On January 14, 1914, a small group of local women met to organize a study club for the cultural advancement of its members. In addition to its primary focus, the club soon adopted a series of civic projects, including many that offered financial . . . — Map (db m89893) HM
Texas (Bell County), Killeen — 251 — Avenue D School
Constructed to replace an earlier brick schoolhouse destroyed by fire, the present Avenue D School was built in 1923. C.J. Leinbach of Dallas designed the three-story building, which features decorative stonework and separate entrances for girls and . . . — Map (db m117551) HM
Texas (Bell County), Killeen — 391 — Bethel Primitive Baptist Church
Bethel Primitive Baptist Church originated in the Palo Alto Community, which was located about 3.5 miles northeast of present Killeen. Organized about 1864, the congregation met in a Union Church building shared with other denominations. When . . . — Map (db m121301) HM
Texas (Bell County), Killeen — 887 — City of Killeen
When the tracks of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad were extended from Temple to Lampasas in the early 1880s, a switching station was installed near the midway point. The settlement that grew up around the site became the town of Killeen, . . . — Map (db m133597) HM
Texas (Bell County), Killeen — 1798 — First National Bank of Killeen
Chartered on Feb. 27, 1901, the First National Bank of Killeen is the oldest continuously operated bank in Bell County. It first served a primarily agricultural economy, but as Killeen began to develop the bank led in the town's dramatic growth. Its . . . — Map (db m133596) HM
Texas (Bell County), Killeen — 2622 — Immanuel Lutheran Church Cemetery
The first burial in this graveyard, that of Wilhelm Wolf, took place in 1891, two years after the German Evangelical Lutheran Emmanuel Congregation was formally organized. The Rev. H.F. Daude (1850-1924), who served as first pastor, deeded land here . . . — Map (db m121279) HM
Texas (Bell County), Killeen — 2939 — Killeen Herald
W.E. Bennett began publishing the Killeen Herald in June 1890, eight years after the town of Killeen was founded. Later owners of the newspaper included W.T. Carter, an active civic leader who served as publisher and editor from 1907 to 1950. Begun . . . — Map (db m121286) HM
Texas (Bell County), Killeen — 3264 — Maxdale Cemetery
Established in the 1860s to serve the rural community of Pleasant Grove, this cemetery is one of the oldest in Bell County. Land for the graveyard was given by Frank N. McBryde, Sr., whose 1883 application for a post office for the community . . . — Map (db m121241) HM
Texas (Bell County), Killeen — 3275 — McBryde Cemetery
Mancel T. McBryde (1821-1896), who brought his family here from Georgia in the early 1860s, began this family cemetery in 1885 upon the death of his wife, Jane W. Goar McBryde (1826-1885). A farmer and rancher, McBryde selected a site south of his . . . — Map (db m121235) HM
Texas (Bell County), Killeen — 5740 — Wednesday Review Club
Organized by twelve charter members in September 1906, this organization was originally known as the Ladies Literary Society of Killeen. The name was changed one month later to the Wednesday Review Club. Pursuing studies in American and . . . — Map (db m121291) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 113 — Alexander's Distillery
On this site in 1861-65, the William R. Alexander Distillery met a wartime need in Texas. May 28, 1862, Governor Francis R. Lubbock closed all Texas distilleries, to save grain. Army calls for medicinal liquor (for opiate and stimulant purposes) . . . — Map (db m29344) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 205 — Armstrong-Adams House
Dr. David H. Armstrong, who served as one of the first trustees of the Salado public free schools, and his wife, Julia, built this home between 1869 and 1872. It later became the residence of a succession of Salado doctors, including Dr. D.G. Adams . . . — Map (db m29257) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 3237 — Birthplace of White House Aide Mary Elizabeth Carpenter
Great-granddaughter of builders. Daughter of Thomas S. and Mary Elizabeth (Robertson) Sutherland. First woman vice president of student body, University of Texas. Married Leslie Carpenter; has 2 children. In 1954 was president Women's National . . . — Map (db m29311) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 13676 — Capt. Milton Wesley Damron
Milton Wesley Damron (1825-1887), an early settler and Salado public servant, was born in Tennessee and came to Texas as part of the Mercer Colony. He arrived in the 1840s and shortly afterwards married Sarah Pennington. When original settlement . . . — Map (db m29350) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 11722 — Dodd's Creek Bridge
One of many patented truss designs developed by American inventors and engineers in the mid- to late-19th century, this 87-foot lenticular truss bridge represents an unusual truss type in the United States. The lenticular design features a curved . . . — Map (db m29256) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 12600 — Dr. Samuel J. and Charlotte H. Jones
Educators Samuel Jackson (1858-1918) and Charlotte Hallaran (d. 1904) Jones taught at Salado College in 1884-1885. In 1890, the Joneses opened Thomas Arnold High School in the former Salado College buildings. Charlotte died in 1904, leaving five . . . — Map (db m29375) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 13331 — Dr. Welborn Barton and Louisa Adeline Barton
A graduate of the medical department of Kentucky's Transylvania University, South Carolina native Dr. Welborn Barton (1821-1883) came to Texas in the late 1840s. After two years of practicing medicine in Bastrop County, he returned to South Carolina . . . — Map (db m29349) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 11723 — First Baptist Church of Salado
A Baptist revival was held on the banks of Salado Creek as early as 1854. By about 1860, members of area Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian and Church of Christ denominations were meeting in an ecumenical house of worship. Each group held an all-day . . . — Map (db m29083) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 2044 — Fowler House
Built 1872 by Josiah Fowler, a settler from Tennessee, Confederate veteran, co-editor of "Fowler's Arithmetic", and a college teacher. — Map (db m29307) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 279 — George Washington Baines House
Built in the 1860s, this house was the residence of the Rev. George Washington Baines (1809-83) from 1870 to 1883. A pioneer Baptist preacher, missionary, editor, and educator, the Rev. Baines was the great-grandfather of United States President . . . — Map (db m29313) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 14567 — Hermon and Margaret L. Aiken
New Hampshire native Hermon (Herman) Aiken worked in Illinois and Tennessee before moving to New Orleans. There, he served as a ship’s captain taking supplies to Galveston in support of the Texas Revolution. He lived in Texas by 1840. In 1846, with . . . — Map (db m29351) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 2535 — Home of Elijah Sterling Clack Robertson
This house was built 1856-1860 by Elijah Sterling Clack Robertson 1820-1879 Texas pioneer, patriot, soldier and jurist, and one of the founders of Salado College. — Map (db m29312) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 5586 — Home of Orville Thomas Tyler
Pioneer Texan--County Judge Member of the legislature President of the board of trustees of Salado College Built in 1857 — Map (db m29250) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 316 — Home of Wellborn Barton
Home of Wellborn Barton 1821-1883; Pioneer physician of this region. For many years a trustee of Salado College, built 1866. (John Hendrickson, Contractor) Old military road and Chisholm cattle trail passed here. — Map (db m29255) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 13500 — Louisa Adeline (Addie) Barton
When Addie Barton (1858-1921) was seven years old, her parents, Dr. Welborn and Louisa Barton, moved to Salado so their children could attend Salado College. Upon graduation, Addie became a teacher. She felt called to become a missionary in 1883 and . . . — Map (db m29249) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 3161 — M. H. Denman Cabin
M.H. Denman built cabin 1867 (15 mi. NW), of handhewn, square cedar logs joined by wooden pegs; has fireplace of native stone; restored 1955. — Map (db m29259) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 3189 — Main Street Bridges
A number of bridges have been built over Salado Creek on Main Street since 1870. After the town of Salado was laid out in 1859, citizens crossed the creek using various combinations of rocks and logs. When local citizens and students at Salado . . . — Map (db m29081) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 4348 — Major Archibald Johnson Rose1830 - 1903
Before migrating to Texas, A. J. Rose made a fortune in the 1849 California Gold Rush. In 1857 he and his wife Sallie (Austin) brought their family from Missouri to Travis County, Texas. Later they settled in San Saba County, where Rose ran a mill . . . — Map (db m29345) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 3614 — Norton-Orgain House
Built about 1872 by Edward R.A. Buckles, this I-plan vernacular house exhibits Classical and Victorian detailing. Its two-story gallery features Doric columns on the ground level, which contrast with the Victorian turned wood columns and balusters . . . — Map (db m29254) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 159 — Old Anderson Place
Built 1860 at edge of an old Indian campground, by James B. Anderson, one of town’s founders and a school trustee in Salado. Community leaders, lawyers and doctors have lived here. Boarding here in 1883 while a student at Old Salado College was . . . — Map (db m29252) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 17448 — Old Salado Graveyard
This burial ground was likely in use about the time a U.S. Post Office was established in Salado Springs in 1852. In 1854 Col. Elijah Sterling C. Robertson purchased a large tract of land north and south of the springs that included the cemetery. It . . . — Map (db m29348) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 2344 — Robert Bonner Halley(May 14, 1823 - October 4, 1875)
A native of Georgia, Robert B. Halley brought his family to this area about 1853. With partner T.J. Eubanks, he operated a liquor distillery and a flour and grist mill on the Lampasas River. Halley served as Bell County Commissioner in 1859 and as a . . . — Map (db m29374) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 4305 — Robertson Home
Built by Col. E.S.C. Robertson and wife, Mary Elizabeth (Dickey). Rare ante-bellum plantation complex, comprising home, servant quarters, land, family cemetery, stables. Still a working ranch. The house, occupied by fifth generation of . . . — Map (db m29310) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 15828 — Salado
Salado was officially establish in 1859 when Col. E.S.C Robertson donated land for a townsite and for a college. Col. Hermon Aiken drew a plat for the town, which developed along its main street. However, there had been activity here long before . . . — Map (db m79922) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 4491 — Salado Cemetery
Established 1856 on 2.5-acre site given by E.S.C. Robertson. Distinguished Texans interred here include the Rev. G.W. Baines, great-grandfather of President Lyndon B. Johnson; the Rev. and Mrs. J.E. Ferguson, parents of Governor James E. . . . — Map (db m29376) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 4492 — Salado Church of Christ
Founded in March 1859, this congregation first met in a brush arbor on the north bank of Salado Creek. The first two elders were James Anderson and J.W. Vickrey, both of whom were instrumental in the organization of Salado College. A frame . . . — Map (db m29258) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 4493 — Salado Creek
Gushing limestone springs, abundant fish, flowers, and trees have long made the banks of Salado Creek a good home site. Indians camped beside stream; Spanish explorers named it; the first Anglo-American settler was Archibald Willingham, 1851. . . . — Map (db m29082) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 13272 — Salado United Methodist Church
In 1854, the Rev. Thomas Gilmore, a Methodist circuit rider, led a revival at Pecan Grove on the north side of Salado Creek. He organized a Methodist church and a Union Sunday school in a small frame building. During the next decades, the . . . — Map (db m29347) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 5464 — Site of Thomas Arnold High School
Dr. Samuel J. Jones (1857-1918) and his wife, Charlotte Hallaran Jones (d. 1904), established Thomas Arnold High School on this site in 1890. The school, which was actually a private academy, occupied the stone buildings vacated by Salado College, . . . — Map (db m35242) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 5091 — Stagecoach Inn
Constructed during the 1860s, the Stagecoach Inn was known as Salado Hotel and as Shady Villa before the current name was adopted in 1943. Military figures George Armstrong Custer and Robert E. Lee, and cattle baron Shanghai Pierce are among those . . . — Map (db m29080) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 1179 — The Davis Mill
Built in 1864 by William A. Davis First stone mill with carding machine in this vicinity. A sawmill and gin were added in 1866. French burrs, Leffel water wheel and silk bolt brought from Galveston by wagon in 1871. Made flour for Central Texas . . . — Map (db m29251) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 4349 — The Major A.J. Rose House
Built in 1870-72, this structure typifies the Greek Revival style with its symmetrical facade. The residence was constructed for former Confederate officer Archibald Johnson Rose (1830-1903) and his large family. A prosperous farmer, Rose . . . — Map (db m29346) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 12584 — The Rev. James E. and Fannie F. Ferguson
Alabama native James Ferguson (1824-1876) became a Methodist preacher in Arkansas before moving to Texas in 1847. As a circuit rider for the next 20 years, he served Methodists in numerous parts of central and southeast Texas. Ferguson wed native . . . — Map (db m29373) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 5577 — Twelve Oaks
Twelve Oaks, 1867-69. Greek Revival mansion built of stone from adjacent land, for B.D. McKie, Texas doctor who fought and was wounded in Mexican and Civil wars. Restoration by parents of Lt. Henry Clay DeGrummond, Jr. World War II combat hero, . . . — Map (db m29343) HM
Texas (Bell County), Salado — 5761 — West Salado Cemetery
Located in an area populated by former slaves following the Civil War, this cemetery dates to the 1870s. The earliest documented grave is that of Jozie Fulbright, who died in 1877, although according to local oral tradition there may be earlier . . . — Map (db m29308) HM
Texas (Bell County), Temple — 15999 — Bernard Moore Temple(November 4, 1843 - October 5, 1901)
Born near Fredericksburg, Virginia, Bernard Moore Temple was a noted railroad engineer. In 1862, he enlisted in the Virginia artillery, joining the Confederate Army, where he acquired engineering experience in artillery and ordnance. Temple made use . . . — Map (db m90018) HM
Texas (Bell County), Temple — 5224 — City of Temple
Founded in 1881, on the Santa Fe line, Temple, like dozens of Texas towns, owed its beginning to the railroad and was, in fact, named for a Santa Fe official, B.M. Temple. On June 29, 1881, a gala town lot sale, with free barbecue, was held by . . . — Map (db m89965) HM
Texas (Bell County), Temple — 18315 — Cora Anderson Negro Hospital
Officially opened on May 17, 1953, Cora Anderson Negro Hospital offered medical services to the growing African American population of Temple and greater Bell County. The hospital featured 16 patient rooms and a surgical suite. It was located only . . . — Map (db m131552) HM
Texas (Bell County), Temple — 13051 — Moffat Cemetery
This burial ground began as a family and Masonic cemetery. Although many, possibly older, graves exist, the oldest marked grave is that of Mary Marshall (d. 1861). In 1869, eight years after Marshall's death, J.A. Grimes sold his farm to Mary E. . . . — Map (db m118964) HM
Texas (Bell County), Temple — Pool of Tears Veterans Memorial
The Sacrifice and Endurance Of Those Who Have Served, And The Ones Who Loved Them, Captures Our Hearts, Abides In Our Minds, And Protects Our Very Existence. They Will Not Be Forgotten; Their Memory Will Live In Each Generation As We . . . — Map (db m90039) WM
Texas (Bell County), Temple — 6448 — Site of Organization of the Texas Forestry Association
One of Texas’ oldest conservation organizations. W. Goodrich Jones (1860-1950), who came to Temple as a banker in 1888, felt need for trees in this prairie town. He led planting drives in Temple, and in 1889 saw to establishment of a statewide Arbor . . . — Map (db m89966) HM
Texas (Bell County), Temple — 5223 — Temple Public Library
On March 29, 1900, the Women’s Literary Club and the Self Culture Club formed a city federation for the purpose of organizing a public library. Soon the first library opened in a corner of the post office building and later moved to a book store. In . . . — Map (db m90017) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Fort Sam Houston — Ft. Sam Houston Quadrangle and Staff Post
The Quadrangle, a scaled-down version of Jeffersonville Depot in Indiana, was begun in 1876 and originally served as a Quartermaster Depot and Headquarters for the Department of Texas. Designed as a fortress-like building with both one and two . . . — Map (db m31802) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Fort Sam Houston — M-1905 Field Gun3" Towed on M-1902 Carriage
Adoption of the 3" field gun in 1902 gave the US Army its first rapid fire, breechloading gun with a hydrospring recoil system capable of indirect fire. The complete gun section included the gun and a caisson with 70 rounds of fixed ammunition. . . . — Map (db m31613) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Fort Sam Houston — M-48 Medium Tank 90mm "Patton"
Introduced in 1953 as part of a "family" of tank designs. The elliptical hull and turret provided greater armor protection while the M-41 90mm gun increased offensive power. Variants of the M-48 series saw service in Europe, the Middle East and . . . — Map (db m31804) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Fort Sam Houston — M-56 Howitzer 105mm Towed (Yugoslavia)
Based on the German M18/40 Light Field Howitzer used in World War II. This gun was probably sold to Iran, then captured by Iraq in the Iran-Iraq War. It was damaged in a firefight with US forces in February 1991 north of Kuwait City and abandoned. . . . — Map (db m31688) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Fort Sam Houston — M-59 Armored Personnel Carrier
Introduced in 1953 to provide armor protected mobility to infantry squad operating with tanks. Variants included cargo carrier, ambulance, mortar carrier and reconnaissance vehicle. Weight • 42,000 lb Crew • 12 Made by • Ford Motor Co. . . . — Map (db m31810) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Fort Sam Houston — Tether Wall
This brick wall, built circa 1890, replaced the original wood fence which enclosed the corrals, stables and wagon parks for the quartermaster depot in The Quandrangle. The two nearby buildings served as blacksmith and wheelright shops. — Map (db m85540) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Fort Sam Houston — 16246 — The Pershing Chinese
In March, 1916, President Woodrow Wilson ordered General John J. Pershing to lead an expedition into Mexico to punish Pancho Villa, the Mexican revolutionary whose troops crossed the U.S.-Mexico border and attacked the town of Columbus, New Mexico. . . . — Map (db m85539) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Helotes — 2432 — Helotes
According to archeologists, human occupation of the Helotes area dates to about 7000 years before present, when small bands of Nomadic Indians who migrated seasonally in search of food and game camped in this vicinity. Early Texas Pioneer John . . . — Map (db m46922) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Lackland Air Force Base — Aviation Cadets
In Honour of the Aviation Cadets Who Worshipped in Chapel No. 1 Their Heroic Deeds and Noble Sacrifices in Defense of Our Country Serve to Inspire Future Generations — Map (db m33893) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Lackland Air Force Base — C-121 "Constellation"General William V. McBride
The C-121, so designated by the USAF in 1948, was developed from the C-69 military transport that had originated as a commercial transport for TransWorld and Pan American Airlines. The C-69's were assigned to Air Transport Command during the last . . . — Map (db m31584) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Lackland Air Force Base — MTI Monument
Dedicated to the United States Air Force Enlisted Corps represented by the Military Training Instructors who mold the Air Force of today and tomorrow Presented to the Air Force Military Training Center Lackland AFB Texas 16 . . . — Map (db m31606) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Lackland Air Force Base — OCS Class 62-A
Dedicated to those young airmen who became known as Class 62-A U.S.A.F. Officer Candidate School Apr. 3 1961-Sept. 22, 1961 To Our Fallen Comrades Rest Easy, Sleep Well My Brother. Know The Line Was Held, Your . . . — Map (db m33830) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Lackland Air Force Base — One More Roll
We toast our hearty comrades who have fallen from the sky..... And were gently caught on God's own hand to be with him on high..... To dwell among the soaring clouds they knew so well before From Dawn Patrol to Victory Roll at . . . — Map (db m33897) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Lackland Air Force Base — Order of Daedalians / Fighter Aces Association
Order of Daedalians The National Fraternity of Military Pilots Established in 1934 by Army Air Corp pilots who flew in World War I, today the mission of the Order is being perpetuated by pilot officers of all the military services of the . . . — Map (db m33898) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Lackland Air Force Base — USAF Officer Candidate SchoolLackland AFB 1947 to 1963 — Enlisted Stripes to Officer Bars —
In Memory of Our Departed Classmates — Map (db m33889) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Randolph Air Force Base — Building 100"The Taj Mahal"
In 1928 the San Antonio Airport Company purchased 2300 acres of land near the city and donated it to the United States Army Air Corps for development of a consolidated flight training facility. Called “The West Point of the Air”, . . . — Map (db m31480) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Randolph Air Force Base — Cessna T-37 Tweet
First jet aircraft of its type with side-by-side seating for instructor and student. Used in pilot instructor training at Randolph 1965- Speed: 380 mph Range: 663 miles Weight: 6,600 lb Service Ceiling: 35,100 ft — Map (db m31482) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Randolph Air Force Base — Gas and Electric Sub Station
Site of US Army Air Corps Primary Flying School Gas and Electric Sub Station Construction completed 6 Jun 1931 Dedicated on 27 Dec 1996 — Map (db m31776) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Randolph Air Force Base — Missing Man Monument
Dedicated to Those Americans Lost In Southeast Asia Combat 4 March 1977 Sculptor: Mark Pritchett — Map (db m31134) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Randolph Air Force Base — Post Chapel
Site of US Army Air Corps Primary Flying School Post Chapel Construction completed 19 Jul 1934 Dedicated on 30 Sep 1993 ——————— Chapel One 50 years dedicated service to the . . . — Map (db m31786) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Randolph Air Force Base — Post Exchange
Site of US Army Air Corps Primary Flying School Post Exchange Construction completed 23 Apr 1931 Dedicated on 30 Sep 1993 — Map (db m31774) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Randolph Air Force Base — PX Filling Station
Site of US Army Air Corps Primary Flying School PX Filling Station Construction completed 23 Feb 1935 Dedicated on 27 Dec 1996 — Map (db m31775) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — "Flower the Tower"Convention Center Service Project — June 24, 2001 —
Founded in 1905, Rotary International is headquartered in Evanston, Illinois and is the world’s oldest service organization. This plaque is erected on the occasion of the 92nd Annual Convention in which more than 20,000 Rotarians from over 120 . . . — Map (db m30193) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 6 — "Kelly No. 2" Flight Line
In November 1916, Maj. Benjamin Foulois of the Aviation Section of the U.S. Army's Signal Corps chose a tract of land approximately three-fourths of a mile to the southeast of this spot to serve as a flying field for the Army Aviation Corps. In . . . — Map (db m65285) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 17054 — In Re Ricardo Rodriguez
In 1896, a court case involving Ricardo Rodríguez brought attention to questions of citizenship and voting rights for Mexican Texans. Although several actions had granted citizenship to large numbers of Tejanos during the 1800s, some sought to . . . — Map (db m130096) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — San Antonio: The Flavor of Its Pastby Donald Everett, San Antonio Express, June 3, 1879 — Main Plaza —
In years gone by, the southern portion of Main Plaza was devoted to the restaurant purposes of the Mexicans, and there one could obtain at any time a plate of chili-con-carne, frijoles, tamales, or whatever his taste might crave in the way of . . . — Map (db m30206) HM

6735 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 6335
Paid Advertisement