This large stone-walled fort, located on a hilltop commanding views over Loughs Foyle and Swilly and counties Donegal, Derry and Tyrone, was the royal citadel of the northern Uí Néill from the 5th to the 12th century. It was probably built some . . . — — Map (db m71458) HM
In 1907 a young woman from Carrick, who had emigrated to America was at the centre of a national controversy. Mary Cunningham worked as a domestic servant for the famous sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudins in New Hampshire. It was claimed that . . . — — Map (db m72266) HM
This Napoleonic anchor and chain from the French frigate Romaine has connections with Napoleon's failed invasion to assist the Irish in the 1798 rebellion, Irish patriot Wolfe Tone's arrest and subsequent death and in later years Admiral Horatio . . . — — Map (db m88327) HM
Donegal Castle was built by Red Hugh O'Donnell, the young 'Eagle of the North', in the late 15th Century beside the River Eske. During the Plantation of Ulster that followed 'The Flight of the Earls' in 1607, the Castle, historic home of the . . . — — Map (db m71570) HM
Donegal Friary was founded for the Franciscan Friars in 1474 by the first Red Hugh O'Donnell and his wife Nuala O'Brien. It survived until it was plundered by the English in 1588. Four years later, they in turn were driven out by the second Red . . . — — Map (db m71608) HM
Founded 1474 and richly endowed by the Lady Nuala O'Connor and the Lady Nuala O'Brien, wives of successive O'Donnell chieftains.
The Friary followed the usual Franciscan layout of church on the south side, with cloisters and conventual . . . — — Map (db m71600) HM
At this point once stood the home place of the late Jimmy Gallagher, his wife and family. Jimmy who was an employee of the County Donegal Railway, was a guard on the Letterkenny to Strabane train, when on 11th August 1941, he was fatally injured . . . — — Map (db m71478) HM
St. Eunan's Cathedral
Work began on Saint Eunan and Saint Colmcille's Catholic Cathedral in 1890. It was designed by William Hague. It is built of white stone from Mountcharles and cost £300,000. The ceilings are the work of Amici of Rome, . . . — — Map (db m71548) HM
The Chough is called cág cos-dearg in Irish - the red-footed jackdaw. It can be easily recognized by its glossy black coat, its red bill and legs, a sharp shrill call and its acrobatic flight. They normally nest in crevices and caves on rocky . . . — — Map (db m71696) HM
Local farmers use the cliffs of Sliabh Liag as a grazing area for sheep. Hardy varieties of sheep suited to harsh mountain environments are raised to produce wool which was traditionally woven locally to produce the world famous Donegal Tweeds. . . . — — Map (db m71630) HM
The sea has always been a central part of the lives of the people who live in this area. Fishing once provided an important source of income for many local families. However, today the industry is in steady decline. Donegal Bay, once busy with . . . — — Map (db m71644) HM
Signal Towers can be found all around the coast of Ireland and date from the period around 1800. They were built as an early warning system to guard against invasion by France during the reign of Napoleon Bonaparte. Located on headlands, which . . . — — Map (db m71669) HM
The principal fuel for heating homes in this area has always been turf, which is cut out of the bog. Cutting the turf begins around April or May when wet sods are spread on the surface to begin drying. These are then 'footed' into small piles to . . . — — Map (db m71668) HM
These features were part of a monastery founded by St Tighearnach at the beginning of the 6th century. The 10th or 11th century Round Tower, the monastery's bell-tower, is the oldest surviving building on the site. Close by, in the graveyard, is . . . — — Map (db m72654) HM
This is a 10th century Ulster Scripture Cross. Cap-stone, Head & Shaft are all from different periods. However, the main shaft is dated as above. Originally a termon or boundary cross marking monastic lands limit.
Also used as a teaching aid . . . — — Map (db m73258) HM
One of the earliest examples of a round Tower. Probably built in the 10th century. The base shows evidence of attempts to destroy by burning.
The Tower lost its conical cap between 1591 and 1741. Four top windows face the cardinal points. Old . . . — — Map (db m73266) HM
Twelfth century representation of an early Christian Church. Carved from a single block of sandstone. Originally made to contain a relic possibly of Saint Tiernach. Carving on surface severely weathered.
Position of Sarcophagus probably in . . . — — Map (db m73272) HM