Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Aiken, South Carolina Historical Markers

 
1953 Gas Explosion Marker along Laurens Street image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, March 14, 2010
1953 Gas Explosion Marker along Laurens Street
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 1953 Gas Explosion
On January 27, 1953, an explosion caused by a natural gas leak killed ten people and destroyed five buildings on the northern half of this block. The five buildings destroyed were Platt's Drug Store, the Jones Electric Company (the site . . . — Map (db m28716) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-23 — Aiken
Aiken, chartered in 1835 and the county seat of Aiken County since its creation in 1871, was an early stop on the railroad line from Charleston to Hamburg. It was named for William Aiken (1779–1831), the first president of the S.C. Canal and . . . — Map (db m9640) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2–8 — Aiken County
Aiken County, created in 1871 from parts of Barnwell, Edgefield, Lexington, and Orangeburg counties, was named for William Aiken, first president of the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company. Older industries in the county today are textiles, . . . — Map (db m9707) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Aiken County 125th Anniversary
In Commemoration Of The Founding Of Aiken County on March 10, 1871 Celebrating 125 years County Commissioners: Sen. C.D. Hayne, Rep. Gloster Holland, Rep. William B. Jones, Rep. Sam J. Lee, William Peel, Rep. Prince Rivers, . . . — Map (db m34610) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Aiken County Confederate Monument
(South Face) They gave their all in defense of Home, Honor, Liberty and the Independence of their native land They fought the patriots fight They kept the faith of their fathers Forever honored And forever mourned . . . — Map (db m17047) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Aiken County Courthouse Bell
Forged in 1882 at Troy, N.Y., the bell hung in the courthouse 1882-1981. In 1931, lightning cracked the bell, and caused a fire that destroyed the cupola. — Map (db m9850) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-32 — Aiken County Farmers' Market
The Aiken County Farmers’ Market, founded in 1951, was originally an open air market sponsored by the Edisto Grange. This building, which opened on May 21, 1954, was designed by Woodrow Jackson and built by the Aiken County chain gang. Farmers . . . — Map (db m28630) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Aiken County Museum
Life in Aiken The coming of the railroad was a major factor in the birth of Aiken. The all-important cotton crop and Graniteville fabrics could get to market. Add to life in Aiken a lady lonesome for her wealthy friends up North and you . . . — Map (db m63263) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-29 — Aiken First Baptist Church
This church, founded in 1805, predates the city of Aiken and was first called Levels Baptist Church. Its first location was a mile south of present-day Aiken. In 1836 the congregation joined with the members of the Wise Creek congregation to . . . — Map (db m10060) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-47 — Aiken Hospital / Aiken County Hospital
Aiken Hospital The first public hospital in Aiken, at the corner of Richland Ave. and Vaucluse Rd., was built in 1917 for the Aiken Hospital and Relief Society, with donations from members of the “Aiken Winter Colony.” The City of . . . — Map (db m54518) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2–16 — Aiken Institute
The Aiken Institute, which gave this area the name of “Institute Hill,” was chartered in 1888. The main building, designed by I.F. Goodrich in 1891, includes a wing added in 1913. All grades attended the Institute until 1937, when a . . . — Map (db m9942) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Aiken Vietnam War Monument
In Memory of Those Who Died in the Vietnam War Adams, Dwayne Lonnie Adams, Joseph Boyce Barton, Jere A. Boyd, Wayne Butler, Linnell Callahan, Clifton Eugene Clark, Allen Howell Douse, James Louis Garrett, Alonzo Gay, James . . . — Map (db m86815) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Author Jeff Scott
In this building on October 31, 1898 the author Jeff Scott began collecting notes for the Southern novel Beneath The Glass Door. Due to unforeseen circumstances the book was not completed until much later. Out of the scenic . . . — Map (db m86818) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Battle of Aiken
Near this spot on February 11, 1865 was fought one of the final Confederate victories of the War Between The States. Federal Cavalry commanded by Major General Hugh Judson Kirkpatrick were attacked by Confederate Cavalry commanded by . . . — Map (db m10061) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Coker Spring
The source of water for early settlers. A stagecoach stop on route from Abbeville to Charleston, S.C. Deeded to City of Aiken 1844 by Wm. Peronneau Finley. Restored by many friends in 1972. (Upper Medallion) The National . . . — Map (db m56810) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-46 — Coker Spring
The freshwater spring 1/2 mi. SE was used by prehistoric Indians. It was deeded to the town of Aiken in 1844 by William Perroneau Finley (1803-1876) and furnished Aiken´s drinking water throughout the 19th century. A regular stop on the . . . — Map (db m63615) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Defense of Aiken
In Memory of the Confederate soldiers who lost their lives in defense of Aiken, Feb. 11, 1865 Erected by the Memorial Association 1911 — Map (db m88573) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-40 — First Presbyterian Church of Aiken
This church, founded in 1858 with 14 charter members and W. Peronneau Finley and John D. Legare as elders, first met in the Aiken Town Hall on Laurens St. Its first permanent sanctuary, a frame building designed by Charleston architect Edward . . . — Map (db m29274) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Frederick Ergle Log CabinBuilt in 1808
A sesquicentennial memorial gift to the city of Aiken by the family of Thomas H. Williamson (1888-1962), former county treasurer, member of the Aiken County Historical Commission and direct descendant of this cabin's builder. — Map (db m102353) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — H. Odell WeeksAugust 3, 1908 - December 14, 1992
Mayor 1946 - 1952 1957 - 1991 His office was our city's sidewalks and storefronts, and from his walks about the downtown he gained the information needed for leadership. He was an advocate for harmony and teamwork, regardless of . . . — Map (db m15136) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-42 — Highland Park Hotel
The Highland Park Hotel, Aiken’s first grand tourist hotel, stood atop this plateau. It was built in 1869-70 and opened in 1870. A four-story Second Empire wing built in 1874 doubled its capacity to 350 guests. Open from November to June, it . . . — Map (db m29974) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-31 — Hitchcock Woods
Hitchcock Woods, one of the largest urban forests in the United States, is an area consolidated between 1891 and 1898 by Celestine Eustis (d. 1921), Thomas Hitchcock (1860-1941), and William Whitney (1841-1904). Described as "the greatest equine . . . — Map (db m9776) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Hofmann1876 - 1957
Josef Casimir Hofmann, internationally known Polish pianist, resided with his wife, Aikenite Marie Eustis Hofmann, in a three~story house located several hundred feet west of here. Born near Cracow, Poland, he was recognized as a gifted . . . — Map (db m10184) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — James F. Byrnes1879-1972
Lawmaker Supreme Court Justice "Assistant President" Secretary of State Peacemaker Governor Citizen of Aiken, 1900-1926 He gave a lifetime of service to state, nation, and the world. — Map (db m15133) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-25 — Millbrook Baptist Church
This church, formally organized in 1884, had its origins in a Sunday school class organized in 1874. With 16 charter members and Rev. Arthur Buist as its first minister, Millbrook built its first sanctuary here in 1886. The frame church, built by . . . — Map (db m38281) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-26 — Original Survey of Aiken
The town of Aiken, on land donated by Mr. Beverly M. Rodgers to the S.C. Rail Road in 1834, was laid out around a core of 27 city blocks bounded by Edgefield and Park Aves. and Newberry and Williamsburg Sts. This area was surveyed by civil . . . — Map (db m29613) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-24 — Pickens - Salley House
(Front text) This plantation house, first known as “Edgewood,” is an excellent example of Federal-era architecture. Originally near Edgefield, it was built in 1828 for Francis W. Pickens (1807-1869), state representative and . . . — Map (db m43154) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Robert M. Bell Parkway
Named in 1985 by action of the Aiken County Legislative Delegation and Highway Commission in recognition of an outstanding citizen and his many contributions to the life and well being of his county, district. and state 2nd . . . — Map (db m44725) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-19 — Schofield School
This school was founded by the Freedmen's Bureau shortly after the Civil War to educate freedmen, women, and children. In 1868 Martha Schofield, a Quaker from Pennsylvania, came to Aiken and began her long career as superintendent. The school soon . . . — Map (db m28821) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-1 — South Carolina Canal & Rail Road CompanyOriginal Track Location
Began first successful scheduled steam railroad service in America on December 25, 1830, and by 1833 its 136 miles from Charleston to Hamburg made it the world’s longest railroad. Now part of Southern Railway System. — Map (db m9999) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-35 — St. John's Methodist Church
This church has its origin in 1825 as a Methodist congregation on the Hollow Creek Circuit that predates the city of Aiken. Rev. John Reynolds was the first circuit rider serving St. John's, which shared a minister with St. John in Graniteville . . . — Map (db m10163) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2–12 — St. Thaddeus Church
This Episcopal Church (cornerstone laid Sept. 5, 1842) was consecrated Aug. 9, 1843. It is the city’s oldest church structure, having retained its Greek revival style through subsequent remodeling. Church purchased bell in 1853, Cornish . . . — Map (db m19634) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-38 — The Augusta & Aiken Railway
The Augusta and Aiken Railway, a 26 mile interurban electric trolley line between Augusta, Ga., and Aiken, operated from 1902 to 1929. In Aiken the line began at the corner of Park Ave. & Union St., proceeded west on Park, then north on Laurens . . . — Map (db m10137) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-44 — The Detection of the Neutrino, 1956 / The Nobel Prize In Physics, 1995
The Detection of the Neutrino, 1956 On August 27, 1956, at the Savannah River Plant (now Savannah River Site), Drs. Clyde L. Cowan, Jr. (1919-1974) and Frederick Reines (1918-1999) used P Reactor to detect the neutrino, a sub-atomic particle . . . — Map (db m43146) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — The One Room Schoolhouse
Originally located in China Springs, near Aiken, and believed to have been built in the 1890's this schoolhouse was given to the Aiken County Historical Commission by Mrs. Guerin Hermann of Sandersville, Georgia in 1975. The one room . . . — Map (db m63475) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-1 — The S.C. Railroad
The tracks of the S.C. Railroad, operated by the S.C. Canal & Railroad Company, ran here from 1833 to the 1850s. The company, chartered in 1827, began constructing a 136-mile long line from Charleston to Hamburg (near North Augusta) in 1830. . . . — Map (db m36676) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Transit Of Venus Observatory Structure, 1882
Iron heliometer tower, which served as an observatory, and housing for instruments, including powerful telescopes, used in viewing the December 6, 1882, Transit of Venus in Aiken, South Carolina. The observatory was built in two sections, each . . . — Map (db m10193) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Water Trough and Drinking Fountain
For many years, the water trough was located behind the County Courthouse. The following are to be commended for their efforts in restoring and re-establishing the trough as its new location on South Boundary. Aiken County Historical Commission . . . — Map (db m102364) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-39 — Whitney Park
(Marker Front) This park, laid out in 1904-05 was named for William Collins Whitney (1841-1904). Whitney, a lawyer, Secretary of the Navy 1885-1889 under Grover Cleveland, and financier, was also an avid sportsman and leading member of the . . . — Map (db m10210) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — William Aiken, Sr.
URS Corporation on the occasion of the City of Aiken's 175th year, graciously donated this symbolic representation of William Aiken Sr. (1779-1831), for whom the city was named in 1835. Aiken was an entrepreneur and president of the South Carolina . . . — Map (db m86825) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Woodmen Of The World
(West Face) This Memorial is erected in the memory of deceased members of the Woodmen of the World whose Individual resting places could not be marked (East Face) Woodmen of the World Regional Memorial (List of . . . — Map (db m10270) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-41 — World War II POW Camp
German prisoners of war were held in a camp on this site from November 1943 to May 1946. This camp, one of 21 in S.C., was at first a sub-camp of the POW camp at Camp Gordon (now Fort Gordon), in Augusta, Ga. It was later a sub-camp of Fort . . . — Map (db m36396) HM

42 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.