This plaque marks the location of an 1890 seawall on the Alameda shoreline. Behind you are the stairs where bathers went down to the beach. The wall was built by architect Joseph A. Leonard, who constructed many homes here during the 1890s. . . . — — Map (db m62215) HM
This city hall is one of oldest operating city hall buildings in the State of California. It was constructed in 1895 in the Romanesque style and has been in continual use as a city hall since its completion.
Building cost . . . — — Map (db m62216) HM
Alameda Lodge No. 1015 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks was formed by 25 Alameda residents who were members of Oakland Lodge No. 171. The Lodge was instituted on March 17, 1906 and it received its charter from the Grand Lodge on July . . . — — Map (db m79864) HM
[Center and Main Marker:]
This plaque marks the terminus of the First Transcontinental Passenger train that started in New York City and terminated at Alameda Point Pier On September 6, 1869. Erected by the U.S. Naval Air . . . — — Map (db m29447) HM
Rev. James McGowan
In 1854 the first church building was erected on land donated Bishop William Taylor and dedicated by Bishop Matthew Simpson - the first appointed minister was Rev. David Deal, 1854-56. . . . — — Map (db m79863) HM
Donated to the city of Alameda in 1920 by Park Avenue resident Isabella Derby Clark, this concrete bench was designed by Myrtle Maillot. Mrs. Clark was a proponent of animal welfare. The inscription "In memory of my dumb friends" is a reference to . . . — — Map (db m101553) HM
Organization of the First Presbyterian Church of Alameda began in 1864. By 1865, the church had 12 charter members. Traveling ministers delivered Sunday sermons until 1867 when Reverend Nash was installed as the first pastor.
The first sanctuary . . . — — Map (db m62217) HM
Architect; Carl Werner
Builder: Cochran Boehm, Inc.
Superintendent of Schools: W.G. Paden
Original Cost: 1,125,000
The historic Alameda High School was dedicated on 18 August 1925, and provided for the first time a modern high school . . . — — Map (db m79875) HM
The Meyers House was erected in 1897. This Colonial Revival style home was designed by and built for prominent East Bay architect Henry H. Meyers. It served as the family residence from 1897 to 1993.
Meyers designed the Posey Tunnel Portals, Twin . . . — — Map (db m79862) HM
Pan American World Airways fabled China Clipper (Martin M/130 Flying Boat) left Alameda Marina on November 22, 1935 under the command of Captain Edwin G. Musick. The flight would reach Manila via Honolulu, Midway, Wake, and Guam. The inauguration of . . . — — Map (db m100565) HM
One thousand feet due west was a prehistoric mound, 400 feet long, 150 feet wide, and 14 feet high. The remains of 450 Indians with stone implements and shell ornaments were found when the mound was remove in 1908. — — Map (db m79861) HM
On April 1, 1942, sixteen B-25 bombers were hoisted to the flight deck of the carrier Hornet and parked there, while moored at Pier No. 3 at U.S. Naval Station in Alameda. The B-25 detachment consisted of seventy officers and one hundred thirty . . . — — Map (db m29431) HM
This home built in 1854 for John Nelson Webster and Caroline Webster is Alameda’s oldest house. The house is a primary example of Gothic Revival architecture by renowned architect Andrew Jackson Downing. The house was prefabricated in New York, . . . — — Map (db m78903) HM