Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Albany, New York Historical Markers

 
Wideview of The Elms Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kevin Craft, September 30, 2016
Wideview of The Elms Marker
New York (Albany County), Albany — "The Elms"Home of Verplank Colvin
Surveyor of the Adirondack wilderness and state lands from 1872 to 1900. Champion of the N.Y. Forest Preserve — Map (db m15237) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — 10th Ward War Memorial

Dedicated to the memory of the men and women from The 10th Ward who served their country in time of war — Map (db m115725) WM

New York (Albany County), Albany — 1624-1924
In commemoration of the three hundredth anniversary of the founding in 1624 of the first permanent settlement of Albany, then known as Fort Orange, near the site of Fort Nassau built in 1614 and abandoned in 1617. With the establishment of . . . — Map (db m64993) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — 1816 Dwelling House

The Dwelling House or "Bell House" contained a kitchen, large community dining rooms, and retiring rooms (bedrooms). At the height of this community, 100 Shakers lived in the main building and the 'T' shaped wing. On its roof in a cupola, hung . . . — Map (db m115659) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — 1st Telephone Central Office in New York State
1st Telephone Central Office in New York State opened near this site March 18, 1878 — Map (db m116743) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — 200th Anniversary of Albany Charter
Tablet commemorating the Two Hundredth Anniversary of Albany As a chartered city Settled about 1624: Charter Granted by Gov. Dongan: July 22 1606: State Legislature Held Here Permanently Since 1797: Early Names Of The City: . . . — Map (db m5560) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — 200th Anniversary of the Birth of George Washington
By his faith in God and man he built our nation Erected in 1932 by the New York State Commission for the celebration of the two hundredth anniversary of the birth of George Washington Hon. Franklin D. Roosevelt, Governor Hon. . . . — Map (db m8126) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — A City of Outstanding Historical Significance
The city of Albany is home to six National Historic Landmarks and more than 4,000 properties listed on the New York State and National Register of Historic Places. In 2015, Albany was designated a Preserve America Community by President . . . — Map (db m116698) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Academy Park
Established in 1882, a hill on the site required the removal of 10,000 loads of sand and clay filling a gully on the north side of Elk Street where present houses were built. Albany 300 - 1686-1986 - Still making History Erected by Albany . . . — Map (db m64997) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Albany - Capital of New York 200 Years
In Honor of the 200th Anniversary of the 1797           City of Albany           1997 Serving as the Capital City of the State of New York For twenty years, after the establishment of the State of new . . . — Map (db m5540) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Albany Medical College
On 2 January 1839 The Albany Medical College reopened and occupied the Lancaster School designed by Philip Hooker in 1816 — Map (db m116752) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Albany Pump Station
The original Quackenbush pumping sta. engines pumped water from Hudson River to reservoirs until Dec. 1932. In Charge of Construction: I.C. Chesbrough. Engineer; J.H. Mars, Engineer For Pump Engine Constr. 1874 Designated as an Albany . . . — Map (db m4190) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — America's First Shaker Settlement

[Title is text]

Shaker Heritage Society Museum and Gift Shop — Map (db m115695) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — An English Neighborhood
After the English gained control of the Hudson Valley from the Dutch in 1674, they established a strong presence in the town they renamed Albany. Soldiers headquartered at Fort Frederick just above this intersection. They formed a masonic lodge in . . . — Map (db m76382) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — B. Lodge & Company”Albany’s Oldest Store”
The City of Albany Salutes B. Lodge & Co. ”Albany’s Oldest Store” Established 1867 Presented by Mayor Gerald D. Jennings January 11, 1999 Map (db m116738) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Birthplace of Modern Electricity
Here discovering magnetic induction, Joseph Henry pioneered the telegraph and electric motor, 1829 - 31 — Map (db m127919) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Bleecker Park
In 1835 the City appropriated $1,000 and citizens raised a fund to enclose it within an iron fence. A fountain, the first in the city, dedicated in 1863. Albany 300 - 1686-1986 - Still making History — Map (db m65000) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Boardman & Gray Piano Factory

Built as the Boardman & Gray Piano Factory in 1853, it later became the Regent Shirt Factory, then the offices of the Brandow Printing Co. — Map (db m115701) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Brethren's Workshop (1822)

The Brethren's Shop was used by the men and boys for various crafts including shoe making and tinsmithing. The porches and dormers were added in 1930 and the building is now used by Albany County as offices.

A date stone in the basement is . . . — Map (db m115662) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Chester Alan Arthur
Twenty First President of the United States Born October 5, 1830 Died November 18, 1886 — Map (db m95485) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — City Hall Carillon
Initiated by William Gorham Rice. Completed in 1927. Restored in 1986 celebrating Albany's Tricentennial of the Dongan Charter through the generous contributions of the citizens of Albany. Albany 300 - 1686-1986 - Still making History Erected by . . . — Map (db m64992) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Court of Appeals
Highest tribunal in New York State This building erected 1842 State Education Department 1940 — Map (db m64995) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Creamery (1856)

The Shakers stored milk in the creamery to keep it cool. Milk was brought from the barn in large milk cans, which were then kept cool in troughs filled by water diverted from the creek. Later the building was used as a hen house; now it is used . . . — Map (db m115688) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Declaration of Independence Centennial Memorial
The Declaration of Independence Was first publicly read in Albany by order of the Committee of Safety July 19, 1776 in front of this City Hall, then on this site. This memorial of the event was placed here by the citizens . . . — Map (db m116673) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — First Church in Albany (Reformed)
Organized 1642 Present building designed by Philip Hooker erected 1798 — Map (db m116733) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — First Plastic
Celluloid-invented 1868 by John Wesley Hyatt First Use- Billiard Balls Albany Billiard Ball Co. — Map (db m129994) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — First Railroad
Near Here Mohawk and Hudson First Railroad Chartered in this Country, 1826, Began its Run Albany to Schenectady. — Map (db m36635) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Fort Frederick
Fort Frederick Governor Edmund Andros Made an Inspection in Albany in 1676 and Found Fort Orange, Located Near the Foot of Madison Avenue in Poor Condition. He Ordered a New Fort Constructed at a Site in the Center of State Street Just West of Lodge . . . — Map (db m5248) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Fort Frederick
In the Middle of this Street To the East Stood Fort Frederick Goal of Burgoyne's Drive to Split the Colonies - 1777 — Map (db m5280) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Fort Frederick
Facing The River On an Eminence in This Broad Street. Opposite St Peters Church Stood, Fort Frederick. Built About 1676. Removed 1789. Gallows Hill to the South. Fort Burial Ground, to the North. — Map (db m5405) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Fort Van Nassau
Built 1614 By The Dutch Explorers. Christiaensen And Block First Trading Center Established In New York State. — Map (db m103295) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — NY-21 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this Place Passed Gen. Henry Knox In the Winter of 1775 - 1776 To Deliver To Gen. George Washington At Cambridge The Train of Artillery From Fort Ticonderoga Used to Force the British Army to Evacuate Boston . . . — Map (db m23717) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — General Philip Henry Sheridan Monument
Philip Henry Sheridan, General United States Army. Born Albany NY. March 6th 1831, Died Nonquitt Mass. August 5th, 1888.

Erected by the citizens of Albany and the state of New York under chapter 100 of the laws of 1914. Commissioners: . . . — Map (db m95584) WM

New York (Albany County), Albany — General Washington

traveled this road on his tours of the Mohawk Valley 1782 and 1783. — Map (db m115354) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Glenn Curtiss Flight
From This Ground Glenn Curtiss Began The First Long Distance Airplane Flight Albany To New York May 29, 1910. — Map (db m13308) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Henry Hudson
Explorer, here ended the voyage of the Half Moon in quest of the Indies September, 1609 — Map (db m116689) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Herman Melville
Author of "Moby Dick" Studied and Worked During Formative Years in Albany 1830 - 1838. Family Home at 3 Clinton Square 1834-1838 — Map (db m32335) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Historic State Street
This section of State Street is arguably the oldest continuously operating commercial avenue in the United States. What began as a path in the woods cut by Native peoples and Dutch beaver trappers and traders became the main east-west . . . — Map (db m116688) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Joseph HenryPathfinder in Science
Joseph Henry Pathfinder in Science Born in Albany 1797 Died in Washington 1878 [Left Panel]: I arranged around one of the upper rooms in the Albany Academy a wire of more than a mile in length throvgh which I was enabled . . . — Map (db m11749) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Kilian Van Rensselaer
Kilian Van Rensselaer the Progenitorof the Van Rensselaer family in America, a merchant of Amsterdam Holland, the original proprietor and first patroon of the Manor of Rensselaerwyck, under a grant from the Dutch government in 1629. In following . . . — Map (db m116749) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — LaFayette Park
Named in honor of the Marquis de LaFayette who commanded troops at Albany in 1778. Returned here in 1784 on his way to Fort Schuyler was entertained by the State of New York and the City of Albany during his visits in 1824-1825. — Map (db m64999) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Lil's Diner

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m115699) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Lincoln in Albany
"I hold myself without mock modesty, the humblest of all individuals that have ever been elevated to the Presidency....You have generously tendered me the united support of the great Empire State." - Abraham Lincoln speaking to the New York . . . — Map (db m5191) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Lincoln Mourned
"The face had an expression of absolute content, of relief, at throwing off a burden such as few men have been called upon to bear --- a burden which few men could have borne." - Recollections of New York Secretary of State Chauncey M. Depew. . . . — Map (db m5192) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Lincoln Park
In 1886 the site was unimproved: “wild and rugged in every respect.” Formerly known as Delaware Square, Delaware Park, Beaver Park — Map (db m131656) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Lydius Corner
. . . — Map (db m116731) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Ministry Shop (1825)

This brick building was used by the ministry elders. Each member of the ministry had to perform daily manual labor such as shoe making or tailoring. Elder Chauncey Copeley a cabinet maker, worked in a wing added to the building in 1850. . . . — Map (db m115660) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Mother Ann Lee1736 - 1784

First leader of the Shakers, a celibate Christian community. Their first settlement was in what is now Colonie. — Map (db m115692) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — New York State Office Building
New York State Office Building Cornerstone Laid By Gov. Alfred E. Smith, 1928. — Map (db m8024) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — NSDAR Revolutionary Soldiers Memorial
The New York State Organization National Society Daughters of the American Revolution honors the courage and valor of more than 41,000 patriot troops in the line. The levies and the militia from New York Colony and State who left their homes and . . . — Map (db m64998) WM
New York (Albany County), Albany — NYS Capitol & Albany City Hall
In 1885, American Architect and Building News named "The Best Ten Buildings in the United States." Two of those selected were the New York State Capitol and Albany City Hall, before you and to your right. The Capitol was chosen . . . — Map (db m116699) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Patroon Street
Former name of Clinton Ave. This was the dividing line between the City of Albany and the Manor of Rensselaerwyck — Map (db m116736) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Phase 1 New York City 1993-1997
When the USS Slater returned from Greece to dock at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York City on August 27, 1993, the state of the ship was appalling. The first goal was to survey the condition of the ship and develop a plan of action. . . . — Map (db m49646) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Phase 2 Albany 1997 - 2001
In 1997, the management at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum made the decision to downsize and the SLATER was asked to find a new home. The ship was towed to Albany and arrived on October 27, 1997 to a crowd of well wishers. Here, a new group of . . . — Map (db m49645) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Phase 3 Albany 2002 - Present
The whole painstaking process of restoring the ship, acquiring the parts and installing the refurbished gear, has been driven by volunteers and would have never been possible without these dedicated individuals. The SLATER's wooden whale boat has . . . — Map (db m49644) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Philip Livingston
One of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence was born on this site January 15, 1716 (O.S.) This tablet was erected under the auspices of the Sons of the Revolution in the State of New York by Philip . . . — Map (db m116732) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Railroads
In the dawn of American Railroads, the Mohawk and Hudson Line (1831), running between Albany and Schenectady, was one of the first built. Juggling funding, inventions, public relations and sheer determination, this railroad evolved from a . . . — Map (db m116703) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Schuyler Mansion
1½ Miles SCHUYLER MANSION Home of General Philip Schuyler. Residence of Alexander Hamilton in 1781 and 1795. — Map (db m58880) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Schuyler Mansion
The Schuyler Mansion 1762 Acquired By The State Of New York 1911 Restored and Dedicated As An Historic Monument October 17, 1917 Governor Charles S. Whitman Trustees Mary Margaretta Manning President James F. Tracey . . . — Map (db m58881) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Schuyler Mansion
The Schuyler Mansion Erected 1762 The Home of Major General Philip Schuyler of the American Revolution Patriot * Soldier * Statesman * 1733 1804* Acquired by the State of New York 1911 Restored and Dedicated October . . . — Map (db m58882) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Schuyler MansionState Historic Site
Major General Philip Schuyler commanded the Northern Department of the Continental Army until August 1777. After the Battles of Saratoga, British General Burgoyne stayed here as a prisoner-guest. Revolutionary Heritage Trail — Map (db m58883) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Second Albany City HallErected 1705
On the North-east Corner of Broadway then Court Street, and Hudson, then Spanish Street, stood the second City Hall, erected 1705, in which the famous Congress of 1754 “met and prepared a Union of the Several Colonies for Mutual Defense . . . — Map (db m116676) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Shaker Garage (1920)

By 1920, automobiles had become both necessary and fashionable. The Shakers never hesitated to adopt new technology that would make life easier and more efficient. They built this concrete garage for their Packard automobilies [sic]. — Map (db m115671) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Shaker Heritage Society GardenCome in.

The plants in this garden are some of the herbs used and sold by The Watervliet Shaker Community during the 1800's. The community grew large "Botanical/Physic" gardens and also gathered many wild herbs for use in their business of selling dried . . . — Map (db m115658) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Shaker Meeting House

This Meeting House, or Church, was built in 1848 to replace an earlier (1791) and much smaller Meeting House. It demonstrates many typical characteristics of Shaker architecture; double doors, one for men and one for women; a large meeting room . . . — Map (db m115663) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Sisters' Workshop (1840)

On this location was a large 3 1/2 sto[r]y stone building. Here Shaker Sisters did spinning, weaving, and sewing. Journal entries indicate that Sister Polly wove 3350 Shaker bonnets in this building.

The building was the only stone building . . . — Map (db m115656) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Site of 1 Elk St.
Residence for NYS Governors Enos Throop - 1830-2, Washington Hunt - 1850-2, Horatio Seymour - 1852-4 and Mayor J. Stevenson - 1826-8 New York State Bar Association — Map (db m64996) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Site of First Poor House in the United States
On this site once stood the first Poor House in the United States. Community care for the poor was an important feature of Dutch society, and it took root here in Albany as the city was settled in the first half of the 1600s. . . . — Map (db m116696) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Site of Main Entrance to Old CapitolErected 1806
Gen. Lafayette was received here 1824 The remains of President Lincoln and many other prominent men, lay in state here. The State Library was adjoining and with Capitol, demolished 1883. Fronting on this park stood Congress Hall, famous for its . . . — Map (db m64990) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Site of Martin Van Buren Residence
Martin Van Buren 1782 - 1862 resided at 92 State Street on this site while serving as 9th Governor of the State of New York 1828 - 1829 He is famed for his distinguished career as boy-lawyer, surrogate, judge, state senator, Attorney . . . — Map (db m5439) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Site of New York Central Railroad Erector Shop
Site Of The New York Central Railroad erector shop where Engine 999 was built in 1893. '999' was the first creation of man in the history of time to Travel 100 Miles per Hour — Map (db m32251) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Spanish-American War Memorial

Erected by The City of Albany July 22, 1928 in memory of those who served their country in the Spanish-American War —————————— William S. Hackett John Boyd Thacher . . . — Map (db m115726) WM

New York (Albany County), Albany — St. Peter's Church
In the middle of State, formerly Yonkers Street, one block below, stood the First English Church, built A.D. 1715, upon ground granted by letters patent from King George the First. It bore the name of St. Peter's Church. The parish was incorporated . . . — Map (db m76381) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — State Education Building
Dedicated 1912. Education Department Offices; State Library; State Museum; Exhibits; Open to Public — Map (db m118762) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — SUNY PlazaAlbany's Castle
The grand building before you is home to the headquarters of The State University of New York (SUNY). Founded in 1948, SUNY is the largest comprehensive system of public higher education in the United States. Among the system's 64 . . . — Map (db m116667) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Swinburne ParkAlbany 300 — 1686 - 1986 - Still Making History

Named in memory of Hon. John Swinburne, M.D., Mayor of Albany 1882-84. One of four surgeon's to found Albany Medical College. Member of Congress. — Map (db m115735) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — The Albany Academy1813...1938
Chartered March 4, 1813 Held its first classes in a frame building which formerly stood upon this site This tablet erected June 3, 1938 during the Celebration of the 125th Anniversary of the founding . . . — Map (db m116745) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The Battle of Henry Johnson
[Top Panel] The Battle of Henry Johnson First American Awarded Croix De Guerre with Gold Palm For Valor [Center Panel] In Memory of Sergeant Henry Lincoln Johnson Albany, New York for uncommon valor in combat . . . — Map (db m42675) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The Erie Canal / Albany Basin
The Erie Canal. This site marks the east end of the canal, opened in 1825. It carried products and people between the Hudson River and Lake Erie Albany Basin. For nearly 100 years boats entered the Erie Canal at nearby Lock 1, . . . — Map (db m5174) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The Four Immortal Chaplains
George L. Fox, Methodist minister Alexander D. Goode, Jewish Rabbi Clark V. Poling, Dutch Reformed Minister John P. Washington, Catholic Priest During the early morning hours of February 3, 1943 the USAT Dorchester was part of a convoy of six . . . — Map (db m64989) HM WM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The Fur Trade
Why is Albany Here? Mohawk and Mahican peoples inhabited this region for thousands of years when the Dutch ship the Half Moon dropped anchor near this spot in 1609. At that time, the world was in the midst of a "Little Ice . . . — Map (db m116700) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The King’s HighwayRoute of
First Dutch road between Albany and Schenectady c. 1663 — Map (db m127902) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The Kings Highway
First road to Schenectady began here near west gate of Albany Stockade P.B.H.P.P. — Map (db m64991) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Townsend ParkAlbany 300 — 1686 - 1986 - Still Making History

Named in memory of Mayor John Townsend 1829-1830 and 1832. Prominent banker and public servant — Map (db m115705) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — U.S.S. Slater(DE-766)
Time: The Second World War, 1942 During the “dark days” of 1940, after the German conquest of France and prior to the U.S. involvement in World War II, England stood alone against the threat of Nazi world domination. An island . . . — Map (db m18188) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Uncle Dan
One Second Avenue birthplace of Daniel P. O'Connell November 13, 1885. Albany Democratic leader 1923 to 1977. — Map (db m131671) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Wash House & Cannery (c.1858)

Shaker Creek provided water for both the canning and laundry operations. The first laundry, done on December 12, 1859, used a steam powered washing machine. Albany County used the building for laundry until the mid 1980s. Today it is a . . . — Map (db m115674) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Washington Avenue Armory

2006 Preservation Merit Award Adaptive Use — Map (db m115739) HM


88 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.