Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Albany, Texas Historical Markers

 
Albany's First Public School Marker image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
Albany's First Public School Marker
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — Albany's First Public School
On this hill stood Albany’s first public school, a wooden building, erected 1884. It was replaced, 1909, by a stone structure which was enlarged – to the west, 1923, to the east, 1927, a gymnasium was added on the north, 1928. The school and . . . — Map (db m85275) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 17611 — Black Cemetery
This pioneer burial ground contains more than a dozen graves of African Americans. The land was part of the Veals Addition to the town of Fort Griffin. Milton Sutton bought the property at public auction in April 1882. Two visible markers are for . . . — Map (db m105366) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 557 — Bud Matthews Switch of the Texas Central Railway
In 1900, the Texas Central Railway extended a line northwest from Albany across this portion of Rose Ella (Matthews) Conrad’s cattle ranch. Ella and her brother John A. “Bud” Matthews, for whom this site is named, promptly constructed . . . — Map (db m79194) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 584 — Butterfield Overland Mail
The trail of the Butterfield Overland Mail passed this point 1858 — Map (db m79196) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 879 — City of Albany
Chosen county seat of Shackelford in 1874, Albany had a 43-acre townsite donated by Sheriff Henry C. Jacobs. County Clerk W.R. Cruger named city for his old home, Albany, Ga. A wooden picket courthouse was erected. The post office opened Aug. 1, . . . — Map (db m94055) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 16822 — Civilian Conservation Corps at Fort Griffin
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) operated nationwide between 1933 and 1942 to conserve natural resources and to provide work for young men during the Great Depression. The Federal program provided employment for 2.5 million young men working . . . — Map (db m101585) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — Cold War Hardline Communications Pit1961 - 1965
In 1961, Dyess Air Force Base, of Abilene, Texas, was one of six United States Air Force bases selected to host the Atlas F Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) system. Twelve launch sites, complete with launch control centers and silos, were . . . — Map (db m105204) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 16347 — Dr. Jack Shackelford(March 20, 1790 - January 22, 1857)
Physician and military commander, Jack Shackelford, was born in Richmond, Virginia. He earned an M.D. degree and in 1811, moved to Winnsboro, South Carolina, where he opened his first practice and met Maria Youngue, whom he married. Shackelford . . . — Map (db m85600) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 1565 — Family Forts, C.S.A.
(Front Side) Few in numbers and with little protection from the military but refusing to abandon their country, certain families of courageous and determined people on the Texas frontier during the Civil War gathered together in hastily . . . — Map (db m93646) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 17640 — First Christian Church
In December 1886, Evangelist J.P. Pinkerton led 26 people from 19 families to found this church. Members met in the Shackelford County courthouse. Miss Betty Parker then gave $50 to buy land for a one-room frame building completed in January 1889 at . . . — Map (db m85200) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — First Producing Oil Well in West Texas
Commemorating First Producing Oil Well In West Texas The Texas Company - J.E. Wild A 1 Survey 65, University Lands Shackelford County Completed Nov. 9, 1913 Presented to The Texas Company By Texas Mid-Continent Oil and Gas . . . — Map (db m85638) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 1879 — First United Methodist Church of Albany
Oldest congregation in Northwest Texas Conference of Methodist Church. First church of any denomination founded in Shackelford County. Organized in 1873 at ranch home (8 mi. E) of J.C. Lynch (1828-1912), a later county judge, after Shackelford was . . . — Map (db m94024) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — Fort GriffinShackelford County Texas — July 31, 1867 - May 31, 1881
Established by Brevet Colonel Sturgis acting under orders of Lieutenant General Charles Griffin, Commander Sixth U.S. Cavalry and Commander Frontier Area, for whom named. Headquarters of Companies A, F, & G, 11th Infantry and two companies 4th . . . — Map (db m101560) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 1987 — Fort Griffin Civil Jail
This structure was the jail used in the town of Fort Griffin near the United States Army post of Fort Griffin which defended the frontier from 1867 to 1881. During this period lawlessness was common in the town. Citizens built this thick-walled jail . . . — Map (db m93645) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 14396 — Fort Griffin Fandangle
In July 1938, area residents gathered here to participate in the first showing of the Fort Griffin Fandangle. Earlier that year, Albany High School drama teacher Robert Nail, Jr. wrote and directed a play depicting the settling of the Fort Griffin . . . — Map (db m85274) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 1988 — Fort Griffin Lodge Hall
On site acquired Aug. 18, 1877, for Fort Griffin Lodge No. 489., A.F.&A.M., chartered on Dec. 14, 1878. Stone was quarried nearby on Collins Creek. Volunteers built hall. School, civic affairs, church services of many denominations were held . . . — Map (db m101586) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 13028 — Frontier Town of Fort Griffin
In the 19th century, the U.S. government established forts along Texas’ frontier to protect pioneers. By the early 1850s, Col. Jesse Stem farmed along the Clear Fork of the Brazos River, and Thomas Lambshead established his Clear Fork farm. As . . . — Map (db m93641) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — Georgia Battalion Memorial
In Honor of the Georgia Battalion Georgia was the only state in the Union to supply arms from its state arsenal when her sons came to Texas to join the fight for freedom. The Georgia Battalion of 5 companies of volunteers came as a . . . — Map (db m94068) HM WM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 12365 — Hartfield Building
Charles A. Hartfield purchased the lot on this site in 1881. A noted area cook, he quickly established “Charley’s Restaurant,” which included a bakery and boardinghouse. Hartfield was so successful that he planned an elegant rock . . . — Map (db m85239) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 2707 — Jackson Warehouse
T.E. Jackson, a prominent businessman from Fort Griffin (15 mi. N) built this structure in the late 1870s as a warehouse for a general merchandise store. For more than 100 years, it served the town of Albany as the site of various commercial . . . — Map (db m85234) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — James Robert Green1924 - 2009 — Rancher, writer, conservationist, historian
Bob Green was born on his family ranch about 17 miles northeast of this spot in 1924, and he died there just before Christmas in 2009. Bob was a noted local rancher, conservationist, historian, writer, public speaker, and musician. He was immensely . . . — Map (db m85560) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 3059 — Ledbetter Picket House
William Henry Ledbetter (1833-84), a native of Georgia, came to Texas in 1858, and established a salt works on Hubbard Creek (8 miles SW) in 1862. Ledbetter withstood fierce Indian attacks before moving near Fort Griffin (15 miles N). He was elected . . . — Map (db m94057) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 3060 — Ledbetter Salt Works CSA
Located 8 miles southwest on Salt Prong, Hubbard Creek. Discovered 1861 by trail drives. W. H. Ledbetter began extensive development of deposits in 1862 with increased Civil War demand for salt. A large furnace was built, kettles and materials for . . . — Map (db m46594) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — Lieutenant Colonel William Edwin DyessDefender of Bataan
(Center Panel) Graduated John Tarleton College May 18, 1936 Graduated Advanced Flying School Kelly Field October 6, 1937 “I want you to know I love every one of you” Last words spoked to Albany friends . . . — Map (db m93987) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 13109 — Lt. Col. William E. Dyess(August 9, 1916 - December 22, 1943)
A native of Albany, and a graduate of Albany High School and John Tarleton Agricultural College, William Edwin Dyess was the son of Judge Richard T. and Hallie Graham Dyess. Trained as a pilot at Randolph Field, San Antonio, he led the 21st Pursuit . . . — Map (db m85559) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 13108 — Lt. Col. William E. Dyess(Aug. 9, 1916 - Dec. 22, 1943)
A graduate of Albany High School, William Edwin Dyess was an aviation and infantry commander in the Philippines during World War II. Captured at the Fall of Bataan in 1942, he survived the Death March and escaped his captors a year later. Back in . . . — Map (db m93986) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — Lt. Colonel William Edwin Dyess1916 - 1943
Edwin Dyess remains Shackelford County’s most decorated serviceman. Dyess Air Force Base in Abilene is named in his honor. Born and educated in Albany and John Tarleton College, he joined the Army Air Force in 1938 and received his wings at Randolph . . . — Map (db m85586) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — Lt. General Robert Boyd Williams1901 - 1977
The highest ranking serviceman from Shackelford County during World War II, Robert Williams was a native of Albany. After attending schools here, he graduated from Texas A&M in 1923 with a degree in Civil Engineering and a commission as a Second . . . — Map (db m85585) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 3257 — Matthews Memorial Presbyterian Church
(Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No. 3257)Map (db m86401) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — Rear Admiral Emory Arden Grantham1914 - 1998
Arden Grantham moved to Albany as a small child and grew up here. In 1930, he was considered one of the most brilliant students ever to graduate from Albany High School. Albany Congressman Thomas L. Blanton secured him an appointment to the U.S. . . . — Map (db m85587) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 17619 — Robert Edward Nail, Jr.(1908 - 1968)
Robert (Bobby) Nail graduated from Albany High School in 1926. In New Jersey, at Lawrenceville Prep. School and Princeton U., his literary activities were highly acclaimed. Nail directed theater groups in Fort Worth, Dallas and Abilene before . . . — Map (db m85201) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — Russell Young Gilbert
. . . — Map (db m101583) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 4397 — Rye-Caperton House
Built in 1874, and used as an office building, this structure was moved here in 1879 from Fort Griffin. Owner Edgar Rye was a newspaper publisher, cartoonist, and held numerous elective offices. Rye sold the building in 1896 to Anna F. Caperton, who . . . — Map (db m94070) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 4647 — Shackelford County
Formed from Bosque County Created February 1, 1858 Organized September 12, 1874 Named in Honor of Dr. Jack Shackelford 1790–1857 Captain of the “Red Rovers”, a company from Alabama which became a . . . — Map (db m80001) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 4648 — Shackelford County
First inhabited by nomadic Indian tribes, Shackelford County was created in 1858 and named for Dr. John Shackelford (1790-1857). The first permanent Anglo-American settlers in this area included J.C. Lynch (1828-1912), a native of Ireland who moved . . . — Map (db m85633) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 4649 — Shackelford County Courthouse
Built 1883-84 from plans by J.E. Flanders of Dallas, architect for several other 1880s Texas courthouses. Edgar Rye of Albany was construction superintendent. Kilted Scottish masons erected the walls of stone quarried a few miles southwest of town. . . . — Map (db m85635) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — Shackelford County War Memorial
Forever Honored Dedicated to the Men Who Served in All Wars and to Those Who Gave Their Lives In Service to Our Country Center front panel: Guy Taylor · Franz Miller · Gene Mauldin · Charlie Taylor · Bonnard Stafford · . . . — Map (db m85589) WM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 4650 — Shackelford County's First Permanent Jail
Erected 1877-78 by architects and builders Thomas & Woerner of Fort Worth. Gerard B. Allen of Saint Louis furnished ironwork. Initials on many of the native limestone blocks show masons’ claims to payment for work.      An early prisoner, John . . . — Map (db m94071) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 4879 — Site of the Reynolds Presbyterian Academy
Founded on counsel of the Rev. French McAfee; named in honor of pioneer rancher, Barber Watkins Reynolds (d. 1882). The Reynolds Presbyterian Academy opened in 1898, with classes meeting in a vacant storehouse. A Richardsonian Romanesque-style . . . — Map (db m94025) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 4958 — Smith's Station
From 1858 until the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, a station of the Butterfield Overland Mail route was located here. Despite a brief existence, it was an important stop on the early stage line that reached from Missouri to California. Stages . . . — Map (db m105201) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 5250 — Texas Cattle Trail
In Memory of Texas Cattle Trail To Dodge City, Kansas and Other Northern Points. 1875     1890 — Map (db m85640) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 5253 — Texas Central Railway Company
The Houston & Texas Central Railway, which began building north from Houston in 1856, was tapped in 1872 by a branch line from Waco. In 1879, the Texas Central Railway Co. was chartered to extend the branch from Ross, 11 miles north of Waco, to the . . . — Map (db m94053) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 16916 — The Albany News
In 1866, a Union Army Regular, Harry Hall (H.H.) McConnell (1837-1895), left Pennsylvania and traveled to Fort Belknap near Jacksboro. A natural journalist, he was a talented writer with an inquisitive mind and sense of humor. Along with his . . . — Map (db m94054) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — The Cable Tool Oil Field1936
The first cable tool oil field drilling rig was introduced in Texas in 1866. A cable tool rig consisted of a steel drilling cable with a bit suspended at the end. The bit would be dropped into a hole, and the impact would break up the ground. A bail . . . — Map (db m105202) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 1052 — The Cook Ranch Oil Field(5 mi. NW, on FM 1084)
William Ivy Cook (1857-1923) and his wife Matilda moved to this county in 1895. With a brother-in-law, J.H. Nail, Cook purchased a 27.75-section ranch. The Cooks bought out Nail in 1898, and have owned the ranch ever since. During the 1918 . . . — Map (db m80000) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 2313 — The H.C. Jacobs House
First permanent home in Albany. Built 1875 of stone from nearby deposits by Henry Carter Jacobs (1842-94), an organizer and the first sheriff of Shackelford County. A Kentuckian, Civil War veteran, and surveyor, Jacobs platted town of Albany, . . . — Map (db m94069) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 5373 — The Lynch Building
This was Albany’s first stone mercantile store. It was erected in stages, combining Greek Revival and Victorian Italianate designs. In 1878, W.H. Miller built 1-story east unit, and permitted Albany Masonic Lodge to erect a second story. Local . . . — Map (db m85198) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — The Mackenzie Trail
In the fall of 1874, Col. Ranald S. Mackenzie and his 4th Cavalry Regiment were under orders to drive large bands of hostile Indians in northwest Texas back to the Ft. Sill Reservation. In a fierce battle Sept. 26-28, 1874, in Palo Duro Canyon, the . . . — Map (db m105367) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 13676 — The Rev. John Brown, Clara Barton and the 1886-1887 Drought Relief
Scottish immigrant John Brown (1842-1903) moved west following his theological studies in New York. He married Mary Jane Matthews Larn near Fort Griffin and in 1884 became minister of Albany Presbyterian Church, just as West Texas farmers and . . . — Map (db m85634) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 14110 — The Western Cattle Trail Crossings at Fort Griffin
Cattle have been important to Texas’ economy since early Spanish mission days. Before and after the Civil War, routes developed for driving herds through Texas to sell in Missouri and Kansas. The best known was the Eastern, or Chisholm Trail, but . . . — Map (db m93643) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 5559 — Trinity Episcopal Church
The oldest church building in Albany. Methodists, who organized their church in 1873, built this sanctuary on Schoolhouse Hill in 1889, moved it to Main Street in 1909. Trinity Episcopal Mission, founded 1910, bought structure in 1913, remodeled it . . . — Map (db m94026) HM
Texas (Shackelford County), Albany — 14887 — White Elephant Saloon(Blach Building)
The land on this site, Lot 9, Block 3 of the original town plat of Albany, was purchased in 1882 by noted local restauranteur Charles Hartfield. He planned to build a restaurant next door, and the pending establishment was much anticipated by local . . . — Map (db m85238) HM

52 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement