Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Alexandria, Virginia Historical Markers

 
"For God and Country" Marker image, Touch for more information
By Allen C. Browne, March 15, 2014
"For God and Country" Marker
Virginia, Alexandria — "For God and Country"
In Loving Memory of Kate Waller Barrett, 1859-1925 First President American Legion Auxiliary Department of Virginia 1922 National President American Legion Auxiliary 1923 ▼▲▼▲▼ This Tablet . . . — Map (db m72401) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — "Pursuers of Booth the Assassin"Alexandria National Cemetery
. . . — Map (db m73446) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — 115 Prince StreetCaptain's Row
George Washington's 1749 Survey shows this lot fronting the Potomac River. The original house on this site was built in 1783. It was destroyed in the great fire of January 18, 1827, which consumed 53 houses and numerous outbuildings in Old Town. . . . — Map (db m71794) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — 1323 Duke Street – From Slavery to Freedom and Service — Alexandria Heritage Trail
Text, upper half of marker panel: This house, built by Emmanuel Jones by 1888, stands at the corner of a block that witnessed the extremes of 19th century African American experience. From a slave trading company to significant . . . — Map (db m46124) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — A National Cemetery System
Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union troops. . . . — Map (db m92115) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — A Tale of Three Jurisdictions
Did you know that you traverse the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia when you cross this bridge? The brass lines in the walkway mark the boundaries. They also commemorate the cooperation required to build this bridge. Follow the . . . — Map (db m60241) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — AlexandriaAlexandria in the Civil War
“Alexandria is ours,” declared Col. Orlando Wilcox of the 1st Michigan Vol. Inf. as his regiment captured the city on the morning of May 24, 1861. When Virginia's vote of secession became effective, Union forces immediately crossed the . . . — Map (db m159) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-89 — Alexandria Academy
On 17 Dec. 1785, George Washington endowed a school here in the recently established Alexandria Academy “for the purpose of educating orphan children.” In 1812, an association of free African Americans founded its own school here in . . . — Map (db m813) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria Canal (1843 - 1886)Lock #3
Buried beneath this canal stone lies Lock #3 of the Alexandria Canal, which connected the Harbor of Alexandria with the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal in Georgetown, D.C. between 1843 and 1886. After Crossing the Potomac on an aqueduct bridge near the . . . — Map (db m80668) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E 88 — Alexandria Library Sit-In
On 21 August 1939, five young African American men applied for library cards at the new Alexandria Library to protest its whites-only policy. After being denied, William Evans, Edward Gaddis, Morris Murray, Clarence Strange, and Otto L. Tucker each . . . — Map (db m82774) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria National Cemetery
Securing the Capital On May 24, 1861, Gen. Winfield Scott ordered eleven regiments of Union troops from Washington, D.C., across the Potomac River, where they captured Arlington and Alexandria. After their defeat in July at Manassas, . . . — Map (db m92113) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria Railroads
Three railroads developed in Alexandria during the mid-19th century, a period of limited industrial expansion for the City. Alexandrians had a invested heavily in the Alexandria Canal which opened in 1843, giving the city access to the rich . . . — Map (db m72379) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria Washington LodgeNo. 22 AF & AM
Chartered A.D. 1788 Destroyed by Fire May 19, A.D. 1871 Rebuilt A.D. 1874 Adolf Cluss - Architect This plaque mounted in cooperation with the City of Alexandria by the Alexandria-Washington Lodge No. 22 Ancient Free and . . . — Map (db m69947) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria, VirginiaMarket Square — Alexandria Historic District
Wording on stone tablet to left: Alexandria, Virginia County seat of Fairfax 1742-1800 Organized 13th July, 1749 Incorporated by the Assembly of Virginia 1779 Ceded to the Federal Government 1789 First boundary . . . — Map (db m69923) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — E 124 — Alfred Street Baptist Church
Alfred Street Baptist Church is home to the oldest African American congregation in Alexandria, dating to the early 19th century. It has served as a prominent religious, educational, and cultural institution. In 1818, the congregation, then . . . — Map (db m14623) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Bank of Alexandria
Established in 1792, this was the first financial institution authorized by the General Assembly of Virginia. The building was completed in 1807. It is one of the oldest surviving commercial structures in Alexandria and is a fine local example of . . . — Map (db m81250) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Battery Rodgers
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Battery Rodgers Here stood Battery Rodgers, built in 1863 to prevent enemy ships from passing up the Potomac River. The battery had a perimeter of 30 yards and mounted five 200 pounder Parrott . . . — Map (db m41413) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E 139 — Beulah Baptist Church
African Americans escaping slavery found refuge in Alexandria after Union troops occupied the city in 1861. The Rev. Clement “Clem” Robinson established the First Select Colored School in 1862. Hundreds of students registered for day and . . . — Map (db m98079) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Bombproof
Two bombproofs, each measuring 200 feet long by 12.5 feet wide, were located in the center of Fort Ward. During normal operations the bombproofs were used as meeting rooms, storage facilities, and sometimes as a prison. In the event of an attack, . . . — Map (db m7716) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Braddock Cannon
(North Side): This monument marks the trail taken by the army of General Braddock which left Alexandria on April 20, 1755 to defend the western frontier against the French and Indians. Erected by the Society of Colonial Dames of America . . . — Map (db m7567) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Brigadier General Montgomery D. Corse, CSA
Brigadier General Montgomery D. Corse, CSA Born here in 1816, died Alexandria 1895. Volunteer, Mexican War 1846-1848. Prospector in California, Commander, 17th Virginia Infantry Regiment, CSA. Post-war civic leader and banker. Buried . . . — Map (db m65489) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Bush Hill
Josiah Watson, a wealthy merchant and postmaster of Alexandria, established his 272-acre plantation, “Bush Hill”, in 1791. Richard Marshall Scott purchased the plantation in 1791; his family stayed here for 200 years. Scott was an . . . — Map (db m2610) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Capt. James McGuire House
Built 1816-18 by Capt. James McGuire Occupied for much of his Alexandria ministry by Rev. Samuel Cornelius, Pastor First Baptist Church, 1824-41 Restored 1964-65 by Mr. & Mrs. John Page Elliott Alexandria Historical Restoration . . . — Map (db m66551) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Colross-Alexandria's Urban PhoenixAlexandria Heritage Trail
For over a century, this two-acre block was occupied by a mansion known as Colross. Built in 1800 by John Potts, the mansion, with its outbuildings, gardens, orchard, and a "clover lot" was in effect a small plantation. Colross's owners . . . — Map (db m72384) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Contrabands and Freedmen Cemetery Memorial
The Contrabands and Freedmen Cemetery Memorial is dedicated to honoring more than 1,700 people of African descent buried here during and following the Civil War, as well as those who may have been laid to rest after the cemetery officially . . . — Map (db m77244) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Contrabands and Freedmen Cemetery Memorial
Seeking freedom and a chance to begin a new life thousands of African Americans fleeing slavery flooded Civil War-era Alexandria. The city was quickly overwhelmed, and as living conditions grew dire, many perished from disease and deprivation. In . . . — Map (db m86652) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — D.C.'s First Building BlockJones Point Park
In 1791, surveyors on Jones Point began to lay out the ten-mile square that would become Washington, D.C. The first marker for the survey—the south cornerstone—was set in place on this spot. Although the stone within this protective . . . — Map (db m60162) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Engin Artemel
As Planning Director (1977-1984) Engin Artemel led the City of Alexandria in planning for the transformation of its industrial waterfront to one that can be enjoyed by visitors and residents alike. Inspired by beautiful active urban waterfronts in . . . — Map (db m99596) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Entrance Gate to Fort WardOfficers' Hut
The Fort Ward entrance gate, completed in May 1865, provided the only access to the interior of the fort. The gate's decorative details include stands of cannonballs and the insignia (castle) of the Army Corps of Engineers which designed and . . . — Map (db m7680) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — T-45 — Episcopal High School
Episcopal High School, on the hill to the southwest, was founded in 1839 as a boys' preparatory school, one of the first in the South; girls were admitted in 1991. The school was a pioneer in the establishment of student honor codes in preparatory . . . — Map (db m7559) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Fighting BackStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
With Alexandria under British control in August 1814, top-ranking U.S. military men gathered at this high point above the city. President Madison conferred with Secretary of the Navy William Jones, Brigadier General John Hungerford, and U.S. Navy . . . — Map (db m81243) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — First Catholic Church in VirginiaA. D. 1795
This stone taken from the canal of the Potomac Company of which Washington and Fitzgerald were Directors commemorates the erection of the First Catholic Church in Virginia, A. D. 1795, which stood until 1839 about twenty feet behind this . . . — Map (db m79678) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — First Original Federal Boundary StoneDistrict of Columbia
Placed April 15, 1791. Protected by Mount Vernon Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, April 30, 1926. — Map (db m60178) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — First Presbyterian Church of Alexandria"Old Presbyterian Meeting House"
Panel 1 - upper middle of east face: The First Presbyterian Church of Alexandria founded A.D. 1772 House of worship erected 1774. Destroyed by lightning July 20, 1835. Rebuilt on the same lot A.D. 1836. Panel 2 - . . . — Map (db m77843) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Former USCT Burial GroundRather Die Freemen Than Live To Be Slaves
This corner of the cemetery was probably reserved for members of the U.S. Colored Troops, some of whom were veterans of battles like the siege of Petersburg and the Battle of the Crater. In 1864, a group of USCT convalescing at L'Ouveruture Hospital . . . — Map (db m87058) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Fort Ellsworth
Fort Ellsworth, one of 68 earthen forts built to protect Washington during the Civil War, was constructed in 1861. When completed, the fort had a perimeter of 618 yards and was an irregular Vauban-type star design of French origin. The fort was . . . — Map (db m45046) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Fort Ward1861-1865
On May 24, 1861, when Virginia's secession from the Union became effective, Federal forces immediately occupied Northern Virginia to protect the City of Washington, D.C. After the Confederate victory at the Battle of First Bull Run (First Manassas) . . . — Map (db m7676) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Fort Ward1861-1865
This stairway leads up the west wall of Fort Ward between the Northwest Bastion (to the left) and the Southwest Bastion (to the right). Fort Ward had 14 cannon emplacements along this area of the wall that created overlapping fields of fire. . . . — Map (db m7709) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Fort Ward
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Ward Here stands Fort Ward, constructed in 1861 to protect the approaches to Alexandria by Little River Turnpike and Leesburg Turnpike. In 1864, the fort was enlarged to a perimeter of 818 . . . — Map (db m41117) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Fort Williams
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861 - 1865 100 yards to the west stood Fort Williams, built in 1863 to guard the approaches to Alexandria by Little River Turnpike and Telegraph Road. It had a perimeter of 250 yards and emplacements . . . — Map (db m80467) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Fort Worth
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861 - 1865 Here stood Fort Worth, built in 1861. It had a commanding view of the Cameron Valley and guarded the approach to Alexandria by Little River Turnpike. The fort had a perimeter of 463 yards . . . — Map (db m80466) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-131 — Franklin and Armfield Slave Office(1315 Duke Street)
Isaac Franklin and John Armfield leased this brick building with access to the wharves and docks in 1828 as a holding pen for enslaved people being shipped from Northern Virginia to Louisiana. They purchased the building and three lots in 1832. From . . . — Map (db m72628) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-109 — Freedmen’s Cemetery
Federal authorities established a cemetery here for newly freed African Americans during the Civil War. In January 1864, the military governor of Alexandria confiscated for use as a burying ground an abandoned pasture from a family with Confederate . . . — Map (db m68192) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Friendship Fire Company
Organized 1774 Original building erected July 23, 1855 New addition erected October 30, 1972 Housing relics for future generations. Gift of Bernard B. Brown — Map (db m65818) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Gadsby’s Tavern
Erected 1792. Popular resort and famous hostelry of the Eighteenth Century. Here was held in 1798 the first celebration of Washington's Birthday in which he participated, and from its steps Washington held his last military review and gave his last . . . — Map (db m146) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Gazette House
This building dates to 1801. Between 1852-1911 the Alexandria Gazette newspaper was printed here. In 1862 while Alexandria was occupied by the North during the Civil War, Union soldiers burned this building because it was reported here that St. Paul . . . — Map (db m41832) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — George Washington High School
Dedicated to the memory of those of our boys who served in World War II and did not come back Erected by the graduating classes of 1943**1944**1945**1946**1947 (west side) Robert Rumshin • Herbert Joseph Petrello • Benjamin J. . . . — Map (db m80571) WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Green & Brother Furniture
Steam Furniture Works. Established 1828. Green & Brother, manufacturers of chamber, hall, parlor, dining-room, school, and church furniture. Wholesale and retail. Ssend for price list. Handrail, newells, balusters, brackets, bed-posts, table-legs; . . . — Map (db m71742) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Guarding the PotomacBattery Rodgers 1863-1865
The area around Jones Point, which lies just south of the nation’s capital, was an obvious location for early defensive fortifications. During the Civil War (1861-1865), Battery Rodgers was built overlooking the cove to guard the river approach . . . — Map (db m69911) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E 86 — Historic Alexandria
Alexandria was named for the family of John Alexander, a Virginia planter who in 1669 acquired the tract on which the town began. By 1732, the site was known as Hunting Creek Warehouse and in 1749 became Alexandria, thereafter a major 18th-century . . . — Map (db m47) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Historic Street
In the 1790's many Alexandria streets were paved with cobblestones. According to legend, Hessian soldiers provided the labor to cobble Princess Street. These cobbles remained essentially untouched until 1979, when the street was restored using the . . . — Map (db m71813) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Home of Dr. James Craik(Born 1730 - Died Feb. 6, 1814)
Close personal friend and family physician of Washington. Surgeon in Braddock's campaign, also with Washington throughout the Revolutionary War. Was at his bedside when he died and received his last messages. — Map (db m72341) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Home of Edmund Jennings LeeCompleted 1801
Eminent lawyer, he lived here until 1837. His son, Cassius Francis Lee until 1865. Edmund Jennings Lee served as Vestryman and Warden of Christ Church, whose Glebe lands he successfully defended from confiscation after the Revolutionary War. Major . . . — Map (db m8566) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Home of Elisha Cullen Dick(Born 1750 - Died 1825)
Was consulting physician in Washington's last illness. At the moment of Washington's death he stopped the bedroom clock, which can be seen in Alexandria Washington Lodge, and conducted the Masonic Funeral service at his grave. — Map (db m71751) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Home of Henry Lee(Light Horse Harry)
Famous Revolutionary Soldier, Father of Robert E. Lee. Was ardent supporter of Federalists. Defended Washington in political contests and delivered eulogy before Congress at Washington's Death in which he used the now famous phrase: "First in . . . — Map (db m72316) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Hooff's Run BridgeAlexandria Heritage Trail
The bridge is one of the last remnants of Alexandria's first railroad, the Orange & Alexandria. The “O&ARR,” as it was commonly called, opened in 1851 and had 148 miles of track in 1860. The bridge was constructed by the railroad as it . . . — Map (db m99330) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — James Bland Homes
Funded by the U.S. Public Housing Administration and built by the Alexandria Housing and Redevelopment Authority (ARHA) between 1954 and 1959, the James Bland Homes was Alexandria's fourth public housing project, and it more than doubled the city's . . . — Map (db m72374) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — James Harris House
Built 1816-17 by James Harris Owned 1835-37 by George W. Carlin Occupied late 1830's by William C. Reynolds, twice Secretary Alexandria Lodge of Washington No. 22, A.F. & A.M. Restored 1964-66 by Jean Keith Alexandria Historical . . . — Map (db m66549) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — John Douglass Brown House
Farm house in Fairfax County, Virginia, located upon part of a seven hundred acre land patent granted to Margaret Brent in 1654. Owned and occupied by descendants of John Douglass Brown and Mary Goulding Gretter since 1816. Placed by John . . . — Map (db m71738) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — John Fitzgerald1776-1976
This building was the warehouse of John Fitzgerald, Alexandria merchant and officer of the third Virginia Regiment of the Continental Line.

Colonel Fitzgerald was a close friend of General George Washington and he was his secretary and . . . — Map (db m81247) HM

Virginia, Alexandria — E 117 — Jones Point
American Indians first frequented Jones Point to hunt and fish. The point is likely named for an early English settler. By the 1790's, military installations were established at Jones point due to its strategic location on the Potomac River. The . . . — Map (db m79997) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Lake Cook
Lake Cook is named for Dayton L. Cook, P.E., the City of Alexandria's Director of Transportation and Environmental Services, who was instrumental in the purchase, design, and construction of the Eisenhower Valley public improvements. Mr. Cook helped . . . — Map (db m27160) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-91 — Lee’s Boyhood Home
Robert E. Lee left this home that he loves so well to enter West Point. After Appomattox he returned and climbed the wall to see “if the snowballs were in bloom.” George Washington dined here when it was the home of William Fitzhugh, . . . — Map (db m8548) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-93 — Lee-Fendall House
“Light Horse Harry” Lee, Revolutionary War officer, owned this land in 1784. The house was built in 1785 by Phillip Fendall, a Lee relative. Renovated in 1850 in the Greek Revival style, the house remained in the Lee family until 1903. . . . — Map (db m8567) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Lee-Fendall House
Built by Philip Richard Fendall in 1785 on land purchased from Henry (Light Horse Harry) Lee. Lee was a brilliant cavalry officer in the Revolution, close friend of George Washington, Virginia Assemblyman, member of Congress and Governor of . . . — Map (db m8596) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Lloyd House
Built 1797 by John Wise, tavern keeper, and his residence, until 1799. Rental property when sold to Major Jacob Hoffman 1810–1825, included outbuildings, gardens, small sugar refinery. Next owner Elizabeth Thacker Hooe leased house to Benjamin . . . — Map (db m8613) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Lodge No. 38, Independent Order of Odd Fellows
The first story was built in 1812 as the first female free school in Virginia endowed by Mrs. Martha Washington and Mr. W. B. Dandredge. Potomac Lodge No. 38 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows purchased the property on November 15, 1841 and . . . — Map (db m67083) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Lord Fairfax House
Erected (c.) 1800 by William Yeaton. Residence of Thomas, Ninth Lord Fairfax and his son Dr. Orlando Fairfax until 1875. — Map (db m71811) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — L'Overture Hospital HQFebruary 15, 1864
During the Civil War, 217 was the headquarters of the L'Overture Hospital. It was named after Tousaint L'Overture — Hispaniola's (Haiti) slave revolt leader. Patients were African American Union Soldiers & “contrabands” (escaped . . . — Map (db m74279) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Mistress Margaret Brent(c1601–c1671)
On September 6, 1654, this site was included in a patent of 700 acres granted by the Colony of Virginia to Mistress Margaret Brent (c1601–c1671). An extraordinary woman, she spent most of her adult life fighting discrimination of her sex, she . . . — Map (db m62020) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Mountains of Materials and Massive ManpowerFighting World War I
The concrete foundations you see here were part of a craneway servicing two shipways and launch sites -- elements of an enormous World War I-era shipyard. To speed delivery of cargo ships needed for the war effort, the Virginia Shipbuilding . . . — Map (db m62323) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Northwest Bastion
The plan of Fort Ward consisted of five bastions with positions for 36 guns. The Northwest Bastion illustrates how the entire stronghold appeared in 1864. This bastion is armed with six reproduction weapons based on Fort Ward's original table of . . . — Map (db m7713) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Oakland Baptist Church Cemetery
In 1939, Samuel Javins conveyed the land which was referred to as "Oakland Church lot" nine years earlier, to the Oakland Baptist Church, after the death of his wife, Florence McKnight Javins. She inherited the property from her mother, Harriet . . . — Map (db m81223) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Orange & Alexandria Roundhouse
Orange & Alexandria Railroad roundhouse, formerly located near Duke and South Henry Streets. Engine named after Brigadier General Herman Haupt, Chief of Transportation, U.S. Military Railroads during the Civil War. Mathew Brady photograph after . . . — Map (db m72622) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 1
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791 - 1792 Protected by Mt. Vernon Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m72932) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 2
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Mt. Vernon Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m73042) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 3
Original Federal Boundary Stone Southwest 3 District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 This plaque placed here on the 200th anniversary of the founding of the City of Washington D.C. Placed here and protected by Colonel John Washington . . . — Map (db m7638) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Panoramic View of AlexandriaMathew Brady – 1864
Camp of the 44th New York Volunteer Infantry, also known as the "Ellsworth Avengers" and the "People's Ellsworth Regiment." The unit was raised in honor of Colonel Elmer E. Ellsworth, who was killed at the Marshall House Hotel on May 24, 1861, . . . — Map (db m196) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E 137 — Parker-Gray High School
Parker-Gray School opened on Wythe Street in 1920 to serve African American students in grades 1-8. Until upper-level classes were added in 1932, African Americans had to travel to the District of Columbia to attend high school. Civil rights . . . — Map (db m98083) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Powder Magazine and Filling Room
Ammunition for the fort's guns was kept in underground storage facilities called magazines and filling rooms. Shells were armed and sometimes stored in the filling room, while the magazine was used to hold black powder and crated rounds. Implements . . . — Map (db m7711) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Prehistory to Colonial Settlement
Jones Point was once a wooded wilderness, ringed by marshes and periodically cut off from the mainland during high tide. American Indians made use of both woodland and wetland for food, tools and supplies. By the 17th century, Europeans had . . . — Map (db m62028) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Profile of Fort
This exterior view of the restored Northwest Bastion illustrates the effectiveness of an earthwork fort. The fort walls were 18-22 feet high, 12-14 feet thick, and slanted at 45 degrees. To gain access to the fort an attacker would have to cross . . . — Map (db m7714) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Raise the White FlagStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
In the early 1800s Alexandria was part of the District of Columbia and an important port with its own militia. In summer 1814, though, Alexandria’s militia had been sent to defend Maryland from the British invasion. So on August 28, four days after . . . — Map (db m81226) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Residence of General William Brown, M.D.Born 1748.      Died 1792.
Physician General and Director of Hospitals, Middle Department, Continental Army, Charter member, Society of the Cincinnati. Author of the first American Pharmacopoea. President of Board of Trustees of Alexandria Academy, at General Washington's . . . — Map (db m71757) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Rifle Trench
This rifle trench extended from the North Bastion toward Battery Garesche located beyond Leesburg Turnpike (Route 7). Another rifle trench extended from the tip of the South Bastion near the Fort Gate. The rifle trenches prevented enemy troops from . . . — Map (db m7715) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Robert Robinson Library -1940Alexandria Black Resource Center / History Museum - 1989
Panel 1: In the summer of 1939, Attorney Samuel W. Tucker organized six youths — William Evans, Otto Tucker, Edward Caddis, Morris Murray, Clarence Strange, and Robert Strange — for a “sit-in” at the segregated . . . — Map (db m69887) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Saint Mary's Catholic Parish
Founded 1795 by Very Rev. Francis Jonatus Neale, S.J. of Georgetown College and Colonel John Fitzgerald, Aide de Camp to General George Washington and one time Mayor of Alexandria Prior to 1785, the Catholic community of Alexandria . . . — Map (db m72355) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Saint Paul's Episcopal Church
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m39307) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-136 — Shiloh Baptist Church
Alexandria, occupied by Union troops during the Civil War, became a refuge for African Americans escaping slavery. Before the war ended, about 50 former slaves founded the Shiloh Society, later known as Shiloh Baptist Church. Members held . . . — Map (db m91684) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Site of Alexandria's First Sugar Refinery1804-1828
The northern half of this block of Cameron Street, bounded by North Columbus Street on the east and North Alfred Street on the west, was the original site of the Moore-McLean Sugar Refinery. Within this half-acre lot was a five-story structure . . . — Map (db m67028) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Site of Assembly HallAlexandria City Hall
Here was held March 22 1785 the first conference between representatives Alexander Henderson and George Mason of Virginia and Major Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer, Mr. Chase and Mr. Stone of Maryland. This conference resulted in the framing of the . . . — Map (db m81249) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Site of First Services of the Salvation Army
Alexandria, Virginia May 1885. On this site stood Captain Joseph Pugmire and three lassies who conducted the first Salvation Army services in Alexandria. Later, the Salvation Army was located at 319 and 316 King Street from 1922 to 1965, when it . . . — Map (db m143) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-92 — Site of First Synagogue of Beth El Hebrew Congregation
On this site stood Beth El Hebrew Congregation’s synagogue, the first structure built as Jewish house of worship in the Washington metropolitan area. Founded in 1859, Beth El, the first reform Jewish congregation in the Washington area, is northern . . . — Map (db m8604) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Southwest Bastion
The Southwest Bastion was the most heavily fortified area of the fort with emplacements for seven guns, as well as a magazine and a filling room. The largest gun in Fort Ward, a 100-pounder Parrott Rifle, was located in the Southwest Bastion. This . . . — Map (db m7684) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary
Founded in 1792, the Stabler Leadbeater pharmacy operated on this site for 141 years serving many early patriots. The shop is a unique reminder of the period when manufacturing, wholesaling, and dispensing of medicines were combined as a single . . . — Map (db m875) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Stabler-Leadbeater House(1847 - 1933)
Built circa 1818 by Josiah Hewes Davis (1783-1862), rope maker and ship chandler who operated a rope walk at Jones Point. Purchased in 1847 by William Stabler (1795-1852) as a home for John Leadbeater (1808-1860), his brother-in-law and business . . . — Map (db m71772) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — 7 — The Alexandria Ford Plant — Ford's Landing Park
One of the last and most architecturally important of the industrial facilities constructed on the waterfront was the Alexandria Branch of the Ford Motor Company. Designed by Albert Kahn (1896-1942) and built on wood pilings over the Potomac River . . . — Map (db m69852) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Bank of Potomac BuildingBuilt 1804-07
Here Union Governor Francis Harrison Pierpont established the “Restored Government of Virginia” and used the building as the official Governor's Residence 1863-65 This Property is protected by a preservation easement held by . . . — Map (db m71611) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Bluemont Line
The Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad was formed in 1847 to carry the agricultural produce of the Shenandoah Valley and western Virginia coal to the port of Alexandria. Financial difficulties, however, meant that the line never got farther . . . — Map (db m73579) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Cameron ValleyEarly Industrial Development in Western Alexandria
The area west of the Mill Race complex once was a sloping meadow through which ran the meandering tail race of the Cameron Mills. The mill site itself was located beneath what is now the parking garage of the Hoffman Center complex. Built in the . . . — Map (db m27230) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Carlyle House and the 18th-Century Site
The Carlyle House, completed in 1753, was the residence of one of the 18th-century Alexandria's leading citizens—John Carlyle—a prosperous merchant and landowner. 1. Although the earliest known engraving of the Carlyle House appeared . . . — Map (db m142) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — 4 — The Civil War and Battery Rodgers — Ford's Landing City Park
With the outbreak of war in the spring of 1861, Alexandria was immediately occupied by Federal troops as a bulwark in the defenses of the national capital, and the city became a central distribution center for men and material for the Army of the . . . — Map (db m70411) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Confederate Statue
The unarmed Confederate soldier standing in the intersection of Washington and Prince Streets marks the location where units from Alexandria left to join the Confederate Army on May 24, 1861. The soldier is facing the battlefields to the South where . . . — Map (db m8605) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Duke Street TanyardAlexandria Heritage Trail
Peter Wise, a city councilman and tanner, established the Duke Street Tanyard in 1797. The Business was situated near the stone bridge on the east bank of Hooff's Run by West End Village. The tannery's ownership and name changed many times; Quakers . . . — Map (db m72479) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Emerging Nation
From the late 1700s into the 1800s, the pastoral calm of the Point was interrupted repeatedly—by soldiers manning cannon emplacements, by surveyors laying out the boundaries of the nation's capital, by workers at a ropewalk and the lighthouse, . . . — Map (db m62029) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Fairfax House1749 ▿ 1771
This house was built and owned for twenty years by the Fairfaxes of Belvoir Col. William Fairfax 1691 ▿▿▿ 1757 Col. George William Fairfax 1724 ▿▿▿ 1787 Patrons Instructors and friends of Washington, . . . — Map (db m92329) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Fitting-Out DockShipshape and Cargo-Ready — 1918-1921
This dock, constructed of reinforced concrete on concrete and wood pilings, was once the last stop for cargo ships under construction at Jones Point's World War I shipyard. Here, ships received final fittings before heading out for service. The dock . . . — Map (db m62201) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Front Door of Gadsby's Tavern
This Doorway was returned to Gadsby's Tavern From the Metropolitan Museum by Charles Beatty Moore, Colonel. U.S.A. Retired (1881-1951) in 1949 by the Alexandria Assocation. 1949 marked the Bicentennial of Alexandria's Founding. — Map (db m71777) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Gadsby's Tavern Ice Well
Underground ice wells were used in the 18th and 19th centuries to store ice for use during the warm months. In Alexandria, blocks of ice were cut from the Potomac River. Ice was placed in this well through a square opening which is marked in the . . . — Map (db m53609) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The George Washington Masonic National Memorial
Let prejudices and local interests yield to reason. Let us look at our national character and to things beyond the present period. —George Washington (Left Plaque) This classic sculpture commemorates the 50th Anniversary of the . . . — Map (db m198) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Hump: Open Lots For Blocks
The racially integrated working-class neighborhood known as the Hump, named for the high ground at its northern boundary, once spanned three blocks, centering on the 800 block of Montgomery Street. The Hump was first settled in the decade following . . . — Map (db m72500) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Jones Point LighthouseShedding Light on a Landmark — Jones Point Park
In the 1850's, Alexandria was one of the busiest seaports in the Chesapeake region. To help guide Potomac River ship traffic, the federal government built the Jones Point lighthouse, illuminating the beacon for the first time on May 1, 1856. It was . . . — Map (db m60242) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Lost Village of Cameron at Great Hunting Creek
Three hundred years ago, a river as wide as the Capital Beltway—Great Hunting Creek—emptied into the Potomac River at this spot. In the absence of good roads, this river and its tributaries were vital corridors for travel and trade. . . . — Map (db m62000) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The LyceumThe Jean E. Keith Memorial
Built in 1839 by the Alexandria Lyceum Company under the leadership of Benjamin Hallowell, this building housed the Alexandria Library and was the scene of concerts, meetings, debates and lectures featuring such speakers as John Quincy Adams and . . . — Map (db m8607) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Marshall House
The Marshall House stood upon this site, and within the building on the early morning of May 24, 1861 James W. Jackson was killed by Federal soldiers while defending his property and personal rights as stated in the verdict of the coroners . . . — Map (db m65490) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Memorial Fountain
The Memorial Fountain in this garden rededicated on June 2, 1967 by The Mount Vernon Chapter National Society of The Daughters of the American Revolution on the occasion of the Dedication of tavern square the fountain was previously located at the . . . — Map (db m71758) WM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Memorial PoolCasualties of Segregation
African Americans in Alexandria suffered, along with other of their race, when a segregated system prevented them from enjoying recreation facilities in their hometown. From 1926 to 1951, the city had a municipal pool for white residents only. . . . — Map (db m80843) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Nations Capital Begins Here 1791-1793Jones Point Park
After the Revolutionary War, the new nation searched fora permanent seat of government. President George Washington favored a 10-mile square territory along the Potomac River that encompassed the economically important ports of Georgetown and . . . — Map (db m60165) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Oakland Baptist Church
Several residents of "The Fort" community were founders of the Oakland Baptist Church, which is located at the intersection of King Street and Braddock Road. The congregation started worshiping in a bush arbor as Oak Hill Baptist Mission in 1888 and . . . — Map (db m81185) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Original Saint Mary's Church
About eighty feet to the west of this site the original Saint Mary's Church was constructed between 1794–1796 by father Francis Neale, S. J., at the corner of what is now Washington and Church Streets. It was the first catholic church in the . . . — Map (db m86633) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Panel 4 — The People of Potomac Yard
When Potomac Yard opened in 1906, it employed 1,200 people. At its peak during World War II (1941–1945), yard expansion increased the workforce to almost 1,500 people. Inspectors, brakemen, switch operators, locomotive engineers, mechanics, . . . — Map (db m97024) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Race to Build Ships on Jones PointAlexandria Goes to War — 1918 - 1921
In response to a shortage of ships and shipbuilding facilities at the start of World War I, the U.S. government decided to enter the shipbuilding business. In 1917, the U.S. Emergency Fleet Corporation was created and eventually oversaw construction . . . — Map (db m62022) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Ramsay House
Owned by William Ramsay, a founder of Alexandria in July, 1749, and first Mayor. Restored by the City of Alexandria in 1956 and dedicated to the memory of Mrs. Robert Miller Reese (Rebecca Ramsay) (1870–1955), great-great-granddaughter of . . . — Map (db m144) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Remarkable Margaret BrentLandowner, Lawyer, Suffragette — 1601 - 1671
Despite occasional conflicts between European settlers and local Indians, Mistress Margaret Brent of Saint Mary’s City, Maryland, was granted the first land patent on Piper’s Island (later known as Jones Point) in 1654. An extraordinary woman for . . . — Map (db m62026) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The West EndAlexandria Heritage Trail
The area around duke street between Hooff's Run and the base of Shuter's Hill was once known as "West End." Originally subdivided and sold by John and Thomas West in the 1780s, West End became a thriving community well positioned for commerce along . . . — Map (db m72367) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Torpedo Factory Art Center / United States Naval Torpedo Station (Building Two)
Marker on the left side of the North Union Street entrance:Torpedo Factory Art Center City of Alexandria, Virginia Dedicated April 30, 1983 Alexandria City Council, Charles E. Beatley, Jr,. Mayor; James P. Moran, Jr., Vice Mayor; . . . — Map (db m98078) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — T-44 — Virginia Theological SeminaryFounded 1823
Half mile to the southwest. The idea for such an institution was conceived by a group of Alexandria and Washington clergymen in 1818. Among those interested was Francis Scott Key, author of the Star Spangled Banner. Originally at corner of . . . — Map (db m7561) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — War, Rails, and Wells — Alexandria Heritage Trail
This city block became part of the Alexandria town grid in 1798. Near the rural outskirts of the developing town, the block remained vacant throughout the nineteenth century. Colross, a country estate, was established in the vicinity, and outside . . . — Map (db m70671) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Washington’s Town House
Replica of Washington's Town House. Lot purchased by George Washington 1763. House completed 1769 – torn down 1855. Rebuilt by Gov. and Mrs. Richard Barrett Lowe 1960. Bricks & stones from excavation used in construction. Worth Bailey, . . . — Map (db m147) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-106 — Washington-Rochambeau RouteAlexandria Encampment
Most of the American and French armies set sail from three ports in Maryland—Annapolis, Baltimore, and Head of Elk—in mid-Sept. 1781 to besiege the British army in Yorktown. The allied supply-wagon traln proceeded overland to Yorktown, . . . — Map (db m8570) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Washington's Tenement House
Built for investment in 1797 by George Washington Lot purchased by Washington in 1763 Conveyed by will in 1799 to Martha Washington — Map (db m71716) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Waterfront Walk
(Panel 1) The Alexandria waterfront reflects the perpetual relationship between people and the Potomac River. The Old Town shore documents a history rich in individual and collective maritime, commercial, and cultural concerns. Waterfront . . . — Map (db m81244) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Who Owns the River?
According to Lord Baltimore's land grant from King Charles I in 1632, Maryland owns the "River of Pattowmack...unto the further Bank of said River." But with Virginia's shoreline constantly shifting how could the border be fixed? In 1929, a survey . . . — Map (db m60179) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Wilkes Street Tunnel
The Wilkes Street Tunnel was part of the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, founded in 1848 to promote trade with western Virginia. The Orange and Alexandria inaugurated its track in Alexandria on May 7, 1851 with a run to the north end of Union Street . . . — Map (db m72346) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Within Its WallsA Foundation for Education and Opportunity
Clara Shorts Adams and Robert Adams conveyed a quarter-acre to the Falls Church School District of Fairfax County in 1898 for the purpose of educating African American children. The one-room "Colored School Building at Seminary" was the first public . . . — Map (db m81515) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — World War I-Era RudderEvidence of the Shipyard at Jones Point
In May 2000, this rudder was recovered along the banks of the Potomac River near Jones Point. Measuring over 22 feet high and 4.5 feet wide, the rudder is of the variety used to outfit steel cargo ships constructed between 1918 and 1920 at the . . . — Map (db m61952) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — World Wars to the Present
In the 20th century, Jones Point continued to be shaped by the changing needs of the federal government. With proximity to the capital and access to land and river transportation, the peninsula was chosen as the site for several military . . . — Map (db m62030) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Battery Sater
Battery Sater and Other Defensive Tactics Fort Hunt became fully armed as a coastal defense installation upon completion of Battery Sater, the last of the four gun batteries. Battery Sater also served as a command center for mines placed in the . . . — Map (db m41177) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Beacon Field Airport
In 1929, Airway Beacon No. 55, a pilot’s navigation aid, was installed on this site owned by W.F.P. Reid. Beacon Field is named for the beacon tower. Under the Civilian Pilot Training Program established in 1938, Ashburn Flying Service trained . . . — Map (db m69516) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Bethlehem Baptist Church
According to tradition, the earliest congregation, which would become the Bethlehem Baptist Church, was organized circa 1863 by Samuel K. Taylor, a former slave, who preached in the homes of the African-American residents of Gum Springs. Shortly . . . — Map (db m100708) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Beyond What You See Today
In addition to its use as a coastal defense during the Spanish-American War, Fort Hunt served further military purposes in later years. During World War II, the military transported enemy prisoners here in unmarked, windowless buses, literally . . . — Map (db m41176) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Civilian Conservation Corps
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), originally designed as a New Deal Program under the administration of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, provided work for young men during the Depression Era, a time of excessive unemployment. From 1933-42, . . . — Map (db m41173) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — E-70 — Colonial Fort
Nearby at John Mathew’s land on Hunting Creek, Governor William Berkeley constructed a fort authorized by the Virginia House of Burgesses on 21 Sept. 1674. Militiamen from Lancaster, Middlesex and Northumberland Counties garrisoned the fort under . . . — Map (db m775) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — E-81 — Defenses of Washington
During the Civil War, the U.S. Army constructed a series of forts and artillery batteries around Washington to protect it from Confederate attack. Forts O’Rourke, Weed, Farnsworth, and Lyon stood just to the north, and Fort Willard which still . . . — Map (db m2330) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Defenses of WashingtonFort Willard Park
After Virginia seceded from the Union on April 17, 1861 the District of Columbia was on the dangerous border between the divided states. Because of the city’s importance, the Union Army immediately occupied Northern Virginia, which allowed troops to . . . — Map (db m47967) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Fort Hunt Park
Welcome to Fort Hunt Park. The concrete platform in front of you, Battery Mount Vernon, once held a set of heavy guns designed to protect Washington, D.C. from naval attack. In 1885, Secretary of War William C. Endicott chaired a commission that . . . — Map (db m41175) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — E-102 — Fort Lyon
In this vicinity stood Fort Lyon, the major fortification on the left flank of the Federal defenses guarding the city of Washington during the Civil War. Named in honor of Brig. Gen. Nathaniel Lyon, the fort covered an area of nine acres with its . . . — Map (db m8029) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Fort Washington—The Capital’s Guardian
Fort Washington, directly across the river, is the oldest existing fortification erected for the defense of the national capital. It was begun in 1814 to replace the first fort which was destroyed during the War of 1812 with Great Britain. . . . — Map (db m46152) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Fort WillardFort Willard Park
Fort Willard Park contains significant earthworks and archaeological remains of a fort built in 1862 by the Union Army. It was one of 63 forts that were built surrounding the District of Columbia during the Civil War as part of the Defenses of . . . — Map (db m47971) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Fort Willard
. . . — Map (db m47976) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — George Washington, Farmer
One of the most progressive farmers of his day, George Washington believed America’s future depended on improvements in agriculture. From 1754-1799, he worked to improve his farming methods at Mount Vernon. Abandoning tobacco, which depleted the . . . — Map (db m829) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — E-94 — Gum Springs
Gum Springs, an African-American community, originated here on a 214-acre farm bought in 1833 by West Ford (ca. 1785-1863), a freed man, skilled carpenter, and manager of the Mount Vernon estate. The freedman’s school begun here in 1867 at Bethlehem . . . — Map (db m952) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — B-260 — Historic Green Spring
A 1784 brick house, spring house, and a designed landscape showcase the unique 1942 collaboration of two American masters of design, Walter Macomber and Beatrix Farrand. Green Spring is the only known place where both designers' work is extant. . . . — Map (db m33710) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Historic Jones Point
In the distance is Jones Point, designated as the southern corner of the District of Columbia by President George Washington. In 1790 Congress established the nation’s capital with a ten-mile square of land ceded by Virginia and Maryland. Alexandria . . . — Map (db m798) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Hybla Valley Airport
Virginia's first airport permit was granted to Elvin W. Robertson's Hybla Valley Airport in February 1929. As President of Mount Vernon Airways, he utilized the airfield as a site for barnstorming and air circuses. Robertson, Fairfax Supervisor . . . — Map (db m53880) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — In Support of American Defense
Fort Hunt played a key role in military development and defense. It was used as a major fortification during the Spanish-American War, as a logistical/training support center during peacetime, and as a military installation during WWI and WWII. By . . . — Map (db m41172) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — E-69 — Little Hunting Creek
The Washington family land south of here, named Mount Vernon in the 1740s, was part of a grant made in 1677 by the Northern Neck proprietors to Col. Nicholas Spencer and Lt. Col. John Washington. George Washington’s great-grandfather. John . . . — Map (db m794) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Original Mount Vernon High School
The original Mount Vernon High School was located here on 8.8 acres that were once part of George Washington's Mount Vernon estate. Fairfax County purchased the land for $400 per acre in November 1938. Construction funding was provided by Fairfax . . . — Map (db m100772) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — P.O. Box 11421942-1946 — Alexandria, Va
This flagpole is dedicated to the veterans of P.O. Box 1142 who served this country as members of two military intelligence service (MIS) programs during World War II. Their top secret work here at Fort Hunt not only contributed to the allied . . . — Map (db m71583) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — People and the Land
American Indians occupied the region at least 13,000 years ago. They hunted game and gathered nature's bounty while residing in temporary seasonal camps. Approximately 3,000 years ago, they began to grow crops and establish permanent villages. . . . — Map (db m41174) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Protecting America's Legacy
Fort Hunt, part of a national park known as the George Washington Memorial Parkway, reflects the history of Virginia and the nation. Places along the Parkway represent outstanding examples of cultural landscapes; historical, architectural, and . . . — Map (db m41178) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Saint Mark's Episcopal Church
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church is one of several congregations that evolved from the efforts of nineteenth century students from the Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria. The first congregation met at the original Groveton Schoolhouse on . . . — Map (db m42387) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — The Rose Hill RaidA Not-So-Tender Reunion
On September 28, 1863, Confederate Maj. John S. Mosby raided the house that stood nearby on the bluff at the end of May Boulevard. The day before, Mosby and eight of his men road from Fauquier County toward Alexandria, where Mosby planned to capture . . . — Map (db m67535) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — The Thirteen Adjacent Elms
1732–1932. The thirteen adjacent elms representing the thirteen original colonies were planted in commemoration of the bicentennial celebration of George Washington’s birth and to revere the ancient and honorable artillery company of . . . — Map (db m939) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — These Trees
These trees were planted in commemoration of the eight Presidents of the United States who were sons of Virginia. George Washington, 1789-1797 • Thomas Jefferson, 1801-1809 • James Madison, 1809-1817 • James Monroe, 1817-1825 • Wm. . . . — Map (db m814) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — To Commemorate the 250th Anniversary
To commemorate the 250th anniversary of the birth of George Washington the citizens of the original Washington, Tyne and Wear, England present to the people of the United States 250 trees planted along the Mount Vernon Memorial Highway. 1732-1982 — Map (db m940) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — US Route 1 Wall of AviationHybla Valley and Beacon Field — EW Robertson and HJ Lehman
Hybla Valley From Dream to Flight School This section of Historic Route 1 boasted two private airfields that began operations in the mid 1920’s. When Dr. Hugo Eckener and First Officer Captain Ernst Lehmann flew the Graf Zeppelin . . . — Map (db m68104) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — WW II: A Battle Fought at Home and Abroad
The United States engaged in World War II (WWII) at home and on foreign soil. With formal entry of the United States into WWII, the Military Intelligence Service (MIS) began two top-secret programs, known as MIS-Y and MIS-X, at Fort Hunt. Under the . . . — Map (db m41161) HM

168 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement