Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Altamont, New York Historical Markers

 
Altamont Marker image, Touch for more information
By Howard C. Ohlhous, October 21, 2011
Altamont Marker
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Altamont
Incorporated as a village 1890. Officers: President Hiram Griggs; Trustees Smith Philley, Jesse Crounse. Henry A. Wilbur — Map (db m49530) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 27 — Altamont — Museum In The Streets — Knowersville
Few settlers ventured into the wilderness prior to the War of Independence. Roads were barely expanded trails between settlements. The Great Western Turnpike (now US Route 20) carried travelers west from Albany. Following ancient routes . . . — Map (db m133581) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 2 — Altamont Free Library — Altamont, New York — The Museum In The Streets
The Village's First Freight and passenger train station was built in 1864, only months after the first train passed through Knowersville. In 1896 the old station was moved south along the tracks. In 1897, it was replaced by the newest, . . . — Map (db m115732) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Altamont High School
New York Site Of Altamont High School 1901 - 1954 Altamont High Alumni Association September 1995 — Map (db m66983) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Altamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets
WELCOME TO ALTAMONT The Village of Altamont and its immediate surroundings were once part of a tract of land deeded in 1630 by the Dutch West India Company to Killian Van Rensselaer (c. 1586-1643),a wealthy 17th century Dutch diamond and pearl . . . — Map (db m132693) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 10 — Beebe Harness Shop
IN 1887, CHARLES V. BEEBE received a patent for an easy riding, swing attachment for farm equipment seats. In 1891,he moved to Altamont and opened a harness shop in the Ostrander Building, in what is now 125 Maple Avenue. In 1895, Mr. Beebe . . . — Map (db m131475) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Dedicated
Dedicated to those who served our country in all wars. For the glory of God and American independence. — Map (db m131474) WM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Dr. Jonathan Johnson
Site of house of Dr. Jonathan Johnson first physician in Dunnsville who came here on horseback in 1808 surgeon in War of 1812 — Map (db m91509) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 12 — Enterprise Building
IN 1879, JAMES OSTRANDER BOUGHT a large lot on Church Street, and built a thriving shoe business. In 1882, he sold a portion of the lot to Charles Taber, who opened a tin shop on the site. Both businesses were lost in the 1886 fire, . . . — Map (db m131455) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Family Cemetery
Family Cemetery Of Early Pioneer Jurrian Severson Grave of John J. Vanaernam Ensign, Revolutionary War Born 1730 - Died 1814 — Map (db m44022) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 11 — Fire Department/Village Hall — Altamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets
THE ALTAMONT HOSE COMPANY No. 1 was organized in May 1893, with 25 citizens appointed as members by the Village Trustees. The Company's first location was rented space at the Temperance Hall on Lincoln Avenue. In 1926, the Company . . . — Map (db m131453) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 276 — Henry Crounse
Union Army Captain NY 91st Regiment Co. D lived and farmed on this site from ca. 1822 until his death in 1901 — Map (db m128002) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 8 — Home Front Cafe — Altamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets
ON 2 APRIL 1864, DAVID BECKER purchased an acre of land from Conrad Crounse for $400, along the newly laid railroad tracks. On this land, Silas Hilton and Benjamin Crounse built a dry goods store, with rooms to let upstairs. The store . . . — Map (db m131500) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Inn of George Severson
Old Schoharie Road Built at close of Revolution First Post Office of West Guilderland as this place was then called — Map (db m49847) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — John Groot
Farm and Burial Place John Groot Officer 3d Regiment Albany County Militia War of Revolution — Map (db m43885) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 15 — Lincoln Avenue School — Altamont, New York — Museum in the Streets
BY 1879, THE POPULATION of Knowersville had grown sufficiently to merit the construction of a larger school, and the hamlet's third school building was constructed that year on School Street, later renamed Lincoln Avenue. The Lincoln . . . — Map (db m131471) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Old Plank Road
Schoharie to Albany Followed this Route Chartered 1849 Abandoned 1867 — Map (db m44861) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 1 — Orsini Park — Altamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets
ORSINI PARK WAS CARVED FROM LAND the Albany & Susquehanna Railroad purchased from George Severson (1794-1883) in the early 1850s for the railroad's right-of-way. In addition to the railroad tracks, the land included room for a depot, a . . . — Map (db m131477) HM WM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Severson House
Built by Early Settler Jurrian Severson Located on Map of West Manor Rensselaerswyck, 1767 — Map (db m44897) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 16 — St. John’s Lutheran Church — Altamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets
St. John’s Lutheran Church, designed by Albany architect Charles Nichols and built by contractor George Rockefeller in 1871-72 was the first church built in Knowersville. The original church building was 42 x 62 feet and, completely . . . — Map (db m131427) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 14 — The Carriage Works — Altamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets
HENRY LOCKWOOD BUILT THE FIRST carriage factory in Knowersville in 1874. The VanBenscoten brothers and Charles B. Warner operated the business until the April 1886 Great Fire consumed the original building and much of the stock. . . . — Map (db m131468) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 13 — The Great Fire — Altamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets
ON 30 APRIL 1886, FIRE TORE through the business district of Knowersville, leveling all five buildings of the Lockwood Estate, including the drug and dry goods store of Davenport & Fredericks, the carriage factory of VanBenscoten & . . . — Map (db m131465) HM

22 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.