On South Main Street at 1st Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street.
to the Heroes of
List of Members Stonewall Camp #427, Amory, Monroe County, MS
To the women of the Confederacy whose pious ministrations to our . . . — — Map (db m102891) WM
On U.S. 278 1.2 miles west of Cotton Gin Road, on the right when traveling west.
On May 22, 1736, a military force commanded by Jean Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville, Governor of French Louisiana, landed nearby to attack the Chickasaw. A palisade of 600 log posts was built near here as a base of operations. Defeated in the Battle . . . — — Map (db m102615) HM
On Highland Drive (Mississippi Route 25) at Meadowbrook Circle, on the right when traveling south on Highland Drive.
Area E. of Tombigbee R., S. of Gaines' Trace ceded in Chickasaw Council House Treaty, 1816. Became part of Monroe Co., 1821. South portion severed, 1830, at formation of Lowndes Co. — — Map (db m102611) HM
On U.S. 278 at Cotton Gin Road, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 278.
South one mile. Initially an Indian trading post at southern terminus of Gaines Trace. Named for the cotton gin built by U.S. Government for the Chickasaw ca. 1801, it grew into an important river town and cotton market with formation of Monroe . . . — — Map (db m102613) HM
On South 6th Street at 3rd Street South on South 6th Street.
The Gilmore Sanitarium was built in 1916 by Ellie Davidson Gilmore and his wife, Virginia. This twenty-two bed facility included a laboratory and operating room. The sanitarium served as Amory's primary hospital until 1961, after which the building . . . — — Map (db m102610) HM
On Chickasaw Drive 0.1 miles west of Fairways Drive.
Mound built circa 100 A.D. for the burial of high-status members of an unknown Indian tribal group. Cemetery established during the mid-1800s by the Nabers family and other early settlers of Monroe County. — — Map (db m102612) HM