Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Anderson, South Carolina Historical Markers

 
"Old Reformer" Cannon Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brian Scott, May 3, 2011
"Old Reformer" Cannon Marker
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — "Old Reformer" Cannon — ca. 1764
The history of the brass cannon reflects the history of the Upstate of South Carolina during some of its most critical eras of conflict and change. The "Old Reformer" is also one of the oldest artifacts in the Upstate, since it arrived here . . . — Map (db m42194) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — A Living Tribute
This area planted in appreciation of Mr. & Mrs. Wilton E. Hall who since April 7, 1955 have contributed the facilities of radio stations WAIM & WCAC-FM to carry the ministry of this class to many thousands of people each Sunday morning. . . . — Map (db m107216) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Abney Athletic Center
This building was made possible by the generous support of The Abney Foundation and John R. Fulp, Jr. It will forever serve as a tribute to the dedication and work of the many thousands of men and women who are a part of the . . . — Map (db m19810) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson Boys' High School
This archway formerly stood at the entrance to Anderson Boys' High School "Home of the Yellow Jackets" Anderson Boys' High School was located on this site. The school educated many of our city's young men from the year . . . — Map (db m59359) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson College Infirmary
Presented by Mr. & Mrs. Rex Rice of Belton, South Carolina in 1960 for the Advancement of Christian Education and to the Glory of God. — Map (db m19812) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson County Confederate Monument
[North]: (Palmetto Tree) (Crossed swords in scabbards with a laurel wreath - representing the cavalry.) (Confederate Battle Flag) "Though conquered, we adore it! Love the cold dead hands that bore it!" . . . — Map (db m10732) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson County Court House -- 1898
This is Anderson County's second court house. It stands on the site of the first small brick court house where the first court session in Anderson was held on the third Monday in October, 1820. The present building of pronounced Victorian . . . — Map (db m10692) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson County Courthouse Annex Park
The location of the Anderson County Courthouse Annex on the corner of Fant and River Street has unique significance to Anderson's history. The site is the location of the 1865 federal encampment of the First Maine, 33rd Regiment, United States . . . — Map (db m19838) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson County Farmers Market Pavilion
This Building was originally constructed in the 1930's for use as the Anderson Petroleum Company. It was renovated in the fall of 2005 to be the new home of the Anderson County Farmers Market Pavilion. 2005 Anderson County Farmers Market . . . — Map (db m42257) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson County Fire Fighters Memorial
Remembering those that gave their lives protecting people and property ---------- "...We are the defenders from fire, of the art which has beautified the world, the product of the genius of man and the means of refinement of mankind. But, . . . — Map (db m19915) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson County Law Enforcement Officers Memorial
A memorial to the Memory of the law enforcement officers of Anderson County South Carolina who gave their lives in the line of duty. Their valor and sacrifice will be long remembered. William Gibson        Anderson Police Dept.               . . . — Map (db m11399) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson County Library
For over a decade, the Board of Trustees, the staff, and Friends of the Anderson County Library have pursued a dream of building a library adequate in size and scope to meet the needs of the community. Today, the original Carnegie-endowed Anderson . . . — Map (db m81274) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson County Veterans Monument
This monument is dedicated to the war veterans of Anderson County. On its walls are listed the names of our natives who served in World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and the Persian Gulf War. In addition, the monument lists . . . — Map (db m21367) WM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-18 — Anderson Mills
Founded in 1888, Anderson Cotton Mills, later a division of Abney Mills, was the first textile plant established in the town of Anderson. It is said to be the first textile mill in the United States powered by electricity transmitted over long . . . — Map (db m52093) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson Presbyterian Church Cemetery
Anderson Presbyterian Church Cemetery Founded 1837 Land Given by Judge J.N. Whitner Used as the First Public Burial Ground For the Village — Map (db m49496) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson Regional Airport
The first municipal airport in Anderson was just a grassy field located near where the Civic Center now stands. An historical marker notes the site where Amelia Earhart landed there on November 14, 1931. In the early 1930s land was purchased . . . — Map (db m53938) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson, S.C. — The Electric City — Founded in 1827
Named in Honor of Gen. Robert Anderson A Revolutionary Hero — Map (db m10671) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-25 — Anderson: "The Electric City"
Front: Anderson was dubbed "The Electric City" in 1895 when William C. Whitner, an engineer and native of Anderson, built a hydroelectric power plant which was the first in the South to transmit electricity over long distances. The . . . — Map (db m10693) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Bank of Anderson Building - ca. 1891
This building was erected as the home of the Bank of Anderson, an outgrowth of the Anderson National Bank founded in 1872 with Col. Joseph Newton Brown as president. The early bank was located on the west side of the square. It was the second . . . — Map (db m21221) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Blue Ridge Railroad Passenger Station -- c. 1913
This building was erected as a passenger station for the Blue Ridge Railroad. It bridges the railroad cut under North Main Street which was excavated by the Blue Ridge Railroad Company as part of a project to build a line over the mountains to . . . — Map (db m94745) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Boy High School
The original Anderson High School sat on the corner of North Fant and East Calhoun Streets. All grade levels were taught despite being called a high school. This school burned down in 1904 and was rebuilt the following year. Due to overcrowding, . . . — Map (db m65305) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Building History / Major Frank R Thompson (1903-1977)
Building History Built in the 1930s by Frank R. Thompson, this building was the main street depot for the Anderson Petroleum Company and Dixie Distributors, Inc., both successful petroleum distributors in Anderson, Oconee, Pickens, . . . — Map (db m42762) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Denmark Hall
This building constructed in 1912 is named in honor of Dr. Annie Dove Denmark associated with Anderson College for 36 years, serving as President of the college from 1928-1953. Dr. Denmark was a resident of this dormitory during . . . — Map (db m19738) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Dr. Samuel Marshall Orr House
National Register South Carolina Department of Archives And History Marshall Orr House of Historic Places — Map (db m54790) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-39 — Ebenezer Methodist Church
[Front]: This church, formally organized by about 1800, is thought to be the oldest Methodist congregation in Anderson County. Circuit riders and other itinerant ministers held early services in a nearby brush arbor. Its first and second . . . — Map (db m55621) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Fant's Book Store -- 1851
This store is the oldest business firm in Anderson. It has been owned and operated consistently by the same family for 175 years. Established by George W. Fant and originally named G.W. Fant & Son the store is an outgrowth of Dr. Edmund Webb's Drug . . . — Map (db m21292) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — First Lady of the Skies
Famous aviator Amelia Earhart landed on an airfield near here on November 14, 1931. She was piloting a Beechnut Autogiro on a nation wide tour promoting Beechnut Products. It was shortly after completing this tour that she made her famous solo . . . — Map (db m21250) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — First Presbyterian Church
Organized Sept. 23, 1837 on land given by J. N. Whitner. First frame structure was built in 1839. Anderson's first cemetery is here, and city's first Sunday School was organized here about 1855. Present sanctuary's cornerstone was laid in 1879. . . . — Map (db m10727) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Flat Rock Cemetery Veterans Monument
Serving Country and Jesus Christ Veterans Who Are buried in Flat Rock Cemetery [Left Column] Harry Drake, Daniel Y. Culbertson, J.C. Culbertson, Luther M. Borders, John T Neims, Charles A. Thornton, Berry Faine, Edward . . . — Map (db m54779) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Frierson School House — ca. 1886
Miss Sarah Jane (Janie) Frierson was a well known educator and the daughter of Dr. David Frierson, an early pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Anderson. Miss Frierson opened her one room school in the late 1880s. One room schools of this . . . — Map (db m42189) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — G. Ross Anderson Jr. Federal Building and United States Courthouse
Entered on the National Register of Historic Places December 13, 1971 Federal Building U.S. Courthouse Federal Postal Station Anderson, South Carolina Thomas Harlan Ellett Architect 1938 This . . . — Map (db m19912) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — G.F. Tolly Building -- c. 1910
This building was erected as the home of G.F. Tolly Furniture Company, an outgrowth of Anderson's first cabinet shop established at this site by Ezekiel George. George F. Tolly entered business with Mr. George in 1856. Later married George's . . . — Map (db m42725) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Girls High School
The Anderson County Museum is situated on the former site of Anderson Girls High School. The original structure, an imposing multi-story brick building, was built in 1918. At that time, both boys and girls attended the school known as Anderson . . . — Map (db m42249) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-30 — Grace Episcopal Church
Front This Parish, organized in 1851 with the Rev. Benjamin Webb as its first vicar, grew out of occasional Episcopal services held in Anderson as early as 1844. The first church here, a frame Carpenter Gothic building, was completed in . . . — Map (db m10417) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-2 — High Shoals
2.9 miles south on Rocky River Anderson Water, Light, & Power Co., organized in 1894 by William C. Whitner, was successful the next year in transmitting electricity over the distance of six miles to Anderson. This achievement was a . . . — Map (db m88441) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Historic Wilhite House — Antebellum
Home Of Dr. P.A. Wilhite Discoverer Of EtherMap (db m10737) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-13 — Hopewell Church
This Baptist church, which was first located about 1.5 miles northwest, was constituted in 1803. The congregation moved to the present 4.4 acre site after it was surveyed December 14, 1822. Two houses of worship were built here before 1891, when . . . — Map (db m10668) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — In Commemoration of Black Pioneers
[Front]: Business Tenure Dr. N.H. Jenkins, M.D. 1907 1920 Dr. Moses Jenkins, Pharmacist 1907 1920 Stewart Anderson, Merchant 1913 1925 E.J. Thomas, Tailor 1918 1977 W.I. Peek, Mortician 1919 1941 Arfelton Adger, . . . — Map (db m19914) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — In Honor and Remembrance
In Honor and Remembrance of the heroes and victims of September 11, 2001 and to celebrate the enduring spirit of all Americans. — Map (db m19891) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — In This Burial Ground
In this burial ground the first public burial ground in the City of Anderson, S.C., rest fifty or more persons known only to God. This plaque is in honor of those unnamed persons who lived and died as a part of the Anderson . . . — Map (db m54638) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — James Lawrence Orr
Born August 29, 1852 Died February 26, 1905 ---------- Founder and President Orr Cotton Mills ---------- Honest and Fearless in the Discharge of Every Duty. Rest in Peace. — Map (db m15269) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Korean War / Viet Nam Veterans
[Front] In honor of the Korean War veterans of Anderson County 1950-1955 [Reverse] In honor of the Viet Nam veterans of Anderson County 1964-1975 — Map (db m10674) WM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Lebanon Baptist Church — est. 1815
At the Site of the Old Lebanon Church Cemetery. Relocated to Present Site in 1860. Present Sanctuary Built in 1911. — Map (db m52076) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — M42A1 "Duster"
• A mobile, full tracked, lightly armored antiaircraft & ground support weapon system. • Manufactured by Cadillac at the Cleveland Tank Arsenal in the 1950s. • Weight of 49,500 pounds and a crew of six. • Powered by a continental air cooled . . . — Map (db m19918) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Masonic Temple -- 1889
This is the second Masonic Temple to occupy this location. After its organization in 1848, Hiram Lodge No. 68 met in the second story of a store building on the east side of the square for several years. The first temple was erected at this . . . — Map (db m38438) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — McDuffie High School — "Home of the Fighting Scots"
McDuffie High School stood proudly at this location from 1964 until 1996. Serving Anderson as a comprehensive vocational high school, McDuffie enrollment averaged 1000 students each year it was open. Many of Anderson's current . . . — Map (db m59360) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — McGee Harness Shop
The McGee Harness Shop was located on the corner of West Benson Street in downtown Anderson. Mr. James L. McGee was listed in the 1905 Anderson City Directory as a dealer in stock, buggies, wagons, and harnesses. By 1910, the small shop located . . . — Map (db m42151) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Mountain Creek Baptist Church
Organized in 1789 initially as an Arm of the Shockley Ferry Church. Known for a time as Bethesda. Cooper Bennett was its first pastor. The oldest church in the Saluda Baptist Association, it has been a Lighthouse for the lost and a . . . — Map (db m10132) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Mrs. J.D. Chapman
In Memory of Mrs. J.D. Chapman First President of Woman's Missionary Union Auxiliary to South Carolina Baptist Convention 1902-1907 1913-1930 Dedicated Christian Missions Leader of Vision and Ability Honored by Name of WMU State . . . — Map (db m19867) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — New Silver Brook Veterans Monument
In Memorial To All Veterans Who Have Served Their Country Honorably and Bravely. May They Rest in Peace. — Map (db m57675) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-14 — Old Hopewell Cemetery
Located 1.09 miles northwest, this cemetery marks the original site of Hopewell Baptist Church which was constituted in 1803. The cemetery contains graves of Revolutionary and Confederate veterans. Some graves are marked by field stones with . . . — Map (db m10724) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Old Silverbrook Veterans Memorial
In Memoriam To All Veterans Who Have Served Their Country Honorably and Bravely. May They Rest in Peace. — Map (db m19886) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-26 — Oliver Bolt's Cotton Gin
The first cotton gin to be powered by electricity transmitted over a long distance stood near this site on the farm of Oliver "Duck" Bolt (1847-1922). In 1897 Bolt, whose gin had previously been powered by a steam engine, contracted with the . . . — Map (db m15161) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Orr Mill Cemetery — Preserving Our Cemeteries
Deeded to the City in 1992, these humble grounds are the final resting place for some Orr Mill employees and family members dating to the 1800s. Numerous graves are here, marked and unmarked, including infants. Help us improve these unique . . . — Map (db m50102) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Orr Monument
The Orr Monument was never a tombstone, but a cenotaph, or memorial, to Colonel James L. Orr, son of South Carolina Governor James L. Orr. Colonel Orr was an Anderson native, the founder and president of Orr Cotton Mills, and a well known . . . — Map (db m42246) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Portman Dam and Power Plant
[Front Marker]: In 1889, the City of Anderson contracted with a 26 year old native son, an engineering graduate of the University of South Carolina, to build a steam power plant and water system for the city. Keeping up with the . . . — Map (db m10697) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-1 — Portman Shoals
Half mile West on Seneca River the Portman Shoals Power Plant, built by William C. Whitner, began in 1897 the transmission of high-voltage electricity over the longest lines then in use for that purpose in the United States. The . . . — Map (db m10696) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Pratt Hall
This building constructed in 1912 is named in honor of Dr. and Mrs. R.N. Pratt Outstanding Teachers at Anderson College Dr. Pratt - 1922-1927 Mrs. Pratt - 1922-1946 — Map (db m19745) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Robert Anderson Memorial Fountain
The idea for a memorial fountain to honor General Robert Anderson, the American Revolutionary hero for whom our county is named, was part of an overall plan to beautify downtown Anderson. Through the efforts of Mrs. Rufus Fant and the Anderson . . . — Map (db m42186) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-23 — Roberts Church
Organized in 1789 and sometimes called Simpson's Meetinghouse, this church is one of Anderson County's oldest Presbyterian churches. The Reverend John Simpson was the first minister, and the Reverend David Humphreys served here for 39 years until . . . — Map (db m31002) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Site of First African American High School in Anderson County — Reed Street High School
After another high school was built, Reed Street High was renamed Perry Elementary School. Perry Elementary later became known as Perry Child Development Center. This memorial is dedicated to the students teachers and principals who were a . . . — Map (db m60542) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Site of Rose Hill -- 1794
The home of Judge Joseph N. Whitner, Anderson County's founding father, was located at the crest of this will. It stood until recent years when it was torn down. Judge Whitner was a South Carolina House of Representative from Pendleton District . . . — Map (db m59361) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-7 — St. John's Methodist Church
Organized in 1828, this was the first church in Anderson. A log meeting house built in 1830 on West Benson Street served the church until 1858 when a frame building was erected on this site. A brick church replaced it in 1888. The . . . — Map (db m10733) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — St. Paul's Baptist Church -- 1865
This is the first Negro church established in Anderson County. It was founded immediately after emancipation and incorporated in 1873. The Rev. Philip Morris was its first pastor. The present edifice, built in 1903, replaced two earlier frame . . . — Map (db m60543) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Sullivan Hardware Co. -- 1875
This building was erected in 1891 and has been the home of Sullivan Hardware Company since 1903. In earlier years it was occupied by the Alliance Store operated by Rufus Hill. The Sullivan Firm was founded as a general merchandise store by J.M. . . . — Map (db m42745) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Sullivan Music Building
This building was donated to Anderson College in 1914 by Mr. Charles S. Sullivan, Sr. to be used as the President's Home. In 1965 it was renovated to serve as the music building. — Map (db m19804) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-41 — Temple B'Nai Isreal
Front Anderson's Jewish Community dates to the antebellum era but grew significantly after 1900 with the arrival of several families from Eastern Europe. This congregation founded as Temple B'nai Israel (Sons of Israel) as early as 1911. . . . — Map (db m77333) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The Anderson Sports and Entertainment Complex
Civic Center of Anderson - 1992 Chris Taylor Memorial Park - Dedicated 1998 Anderson Sports Complex - 1999 Anderson County Amphitheater - 1999 --------------------------- The Anderson County Sports and Entertainment Center . . . — Map (db m36170) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The First Baptist Church Bell
Originally mounted in the church tower during the alterations to the building in the year 1892, and removed in 1976 when the old tower was razed. The bell is mounted here as a symbol of the influence on the community of this church for the . . . — Map (db m11248) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The Four Way Test — Rotary International
In 1932, Rotarian Herbey Taylor created The Four Way Test, a code of ethics adopted by Rotary 11 years later. The test, which has been translated into more than 100 languages, asks the following questions: Of the things we think, say or . . . — Map (db m62432) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The Greeley Institute — 1870 - 1954
The Horace Greeley Institute Trust was established in 1870 in the name of abolitionist Horace Greeley. Because the trust was to be used for the advancement of the education of "Freedmen and their Children," a school, known as the Greeley Institute, . . . — Map (db m61078) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The H.H. Watkins Teaching Center
In Memory of Henry Hitt Watkins 1866-1947 and Maude Wakefield Watkins 1870-1963 This building was made possible through the generosity of Judge and Mrs. Watkins, the South Carolina Baptist Convention, and other dedicated friends . . . — Map (db m19816) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The Hole
This structure is called a "sweatbox" and was commonly used throughout the United States as a government-recommended method of disciplining prisoners during the mid-1900s. It was very much despised and feared by the prisoners, who referred to it as . . . — Map (db m19917) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The J.E. Rouse Dormitory
Erected 1962-63 Named in honor of Dr. John Edward Rouse Baptist Leader, Friend of Youth Champion of Education President of Anderson College 1957-73 This dormitory is named to honor him in grateful recognition of his . . . — Map (db m19829) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The Old Reformer
Though not engaged in actual warfare since the Revolutionary War, when it was used by both the American and British Army, this old cannon has had much to do with the making of South Carolina history. It came into this section, first in 1814, in . . . — Map (db m21310) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The Original Back Door Step
The Original Back Door Step of the Flat Rock Union Church Dedicated October 9, 1988 Flat Rock Presbyterian Church Chartered November 10, 1888 Flat Rock Baptist Church Chartered November 17, 1832 — Map (db m54639) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The Wilton E. Hall Bridge
Named in honor of Wilton E. Hall Publisher of The Anderson Independent and Daily Mail For his dedicated service to Anderson County and South Carolina — Map (db m19493) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Thompson Centennial United ME Church -- 1867
This was the second Negro church founded in Anderson. It was organized at a meeting of approximately 15 persons at the home of the Rev. Henry A. Mikell, who served as the first pastor. A lot was purchased from Bale Clayton for $100 and a small . . . — Map (db m11745) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-11 — University Hill
Three educational institutions have been in this immediate area: Johnson Female University (1856-63) named for William Bullein Johnson; the Carolina Collegiate Institute (about 1866-90) under W. J. Ligon; and Patrick Military Institute . . . — Map (db m10524) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Vandiver Hall — Whyte House / White Building
Whyte House The west wing of this building was constructed in 1920 and is named in honor of James Primrose Whyte Dean and beloved Professor of Literature and Sociology at Anderson College from 1918 to 1922. John E. White . . . — Map (db m19784) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Veterans of All Wars
This flagpole is erected to the memory of an in honor of our fighting forces who have defended this country in all wars. — Map (db m60011) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Vietnam Veterans Monument
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Vietnam 1957 --- Dedicated to the memory and honor of all Anderson County Vietnam veterans. They will always be remembered for their sacrifices and their . . . — Map (db m84131) WM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Virginia "Jennie" Gilmer
Out of Whose Vision, Leadership and Love to Humanity was Born a New Hospital Virginia "Jennie" Gilmer is widely recognized as the founder of Anderson's first hospital, which over the years evolved into Anmed Health, the largest private . . . — Map (db m59427) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Weather Reporting Station
This structure once housed the Anderson County Airport's Weather Reporting Station. Located across the street where the Civic Center is now and constructed in 1931 at a cost between $5500 and $6000, this building was designed to provide shelter . . . — Map (db m15327) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Westview Cemetery World War Casualties Memorial
In Memory of World War Casualties War No. I Thomas Adjer Scott Hill Ollie Rutledge War No. II James Joyner Johnnie M. Leroy Frank Lewis John M. McBride Mayor Richard A. Shirley City Manager John R. . . . — Map (db m49493) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — William Arthur Floyd — May 1, 1945 - May 13, 1999
William A. Floyd, a man of vision, served Anderson County as the first African-American elected to the Anderson County Council. He touched the lives of many county residents in various ways, as a husband, father, teacher, coach, councilman, . . . — Map (db m21328) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-12 — William Bullein Johnson — 1782 - 1862
President of Triennial Southern, South Carolina Baptist Conventions. Johnson Female University founded here in 1848 as Johnson Female Seminary was named for him because of his support for female education. From 1853 to 1858, while Chancellor of . . . — Map (db m10526) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — William Church Whitner — Centennial Anniversary of Duke Power
Native son William Church Whitner developed the concept and spearheaded financing for the first hydroelectric plant to transmit power over a long distance in the South. On May 1, 1895, electricity travelled six miles from a generator at High . . . — Map (db m10695) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — William Law Watkins — Meals on Wheels Center — Anderson County
This facility was originally built in 1951 and was the cafeteria for the McCants Middle School. Renovation of the space for Meals on Wheels was completed in 2000 to allow for the expansion of the successful community program, which was begin in . . . — Map (db m59442) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — World War I and II Veterans
i>[Front] In honor of the World War veterans of Anderson County, 1914-1918 Erected by the American Legion Auxiliary W.H. Hudgens Unit No. 14 1933 [Reverse] In honor of the World War veterans of Anderson . . . — Map (db m10673) WM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — World War I Memorial
. . . — Map (db m10681) HM

91 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.