11 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Anderson
By Brian Anderson, January 13, 2019
Anderson Baptist Church
|Organized November 11, 1844. Baptist General Convention of Texas organized here in 1848. Twenty-three of Texas' thirty-four Baptist churches were represented. Present building was constructed with native rock by slave labor and finished in 1855. . . . — — Map (db m128637) HM|
|Built in 1834 by Henry Fanthorp as a home for his bride, Rachel Kennard. Enlarged for hotel purpose. Served as first mercantile establishment and first post office (1835) in the region. Here Kenneth Lewis Anderson, Vice-President of the Republic of . . . — — Map (db m118940) HM|
On road used 1690 by Spanish explorer Alonso de Leon. In 1821 Andrew Millican began settlement. Henry Fanthorp opened his inn 1834, a post office 1835. Kenneth Anderson, last Vice-President, Republic of Texas, died at Fanthorp's, 1845. After his . . . — — Map (db m118977) HM|
Unique Victorian Texas public building. Third courthouse here. Site, in an 1824 land grant from Mexico, was donated 1850 by Henry Fanthorp, first permanent settler in county.
Built 1891 of hand-molded brick with native stone trim. Vault is . . . — — Map (db m118975) HM|
Civil War military concentration point for troops and ordnance. Rich farm land.
By 1861 densely populated. Favored secession by 907 to 9 vote. Sent 5 cavalry, 4 infantry companies to Confederate Army.
Arms and ordnance works at Anderson . . . — — Map (db m118976) HM|
|Mathew Caldwell was called Paul Revere of the Texas Revolution. Caldwell’s daughters Lucy Ann and Martha Elizabeth came to Grimes County from Gonzales. Martha E. Married Isham Dixon Davis and settled N. Grimes County at Mesa, near Iola, by 1846. . . . — — Map (db m111903) HM|
Erected by the State of Texas
in memory of
Kenneth Lewis Anderson
Born in Hillsboro, North Carolina, Sept. 11, 1805
District Judge, Speaker of the House of the Sixth Congress
and last Vice President of the Republic of Texas . . . — — Map (db m118937) HM|
|This short stretch of road is the last remaining local portion of two very important early Texas roads. La Bahia Road (early 1700's) was an old Spanish military road that forked southwesterly from the Old San Antonio Road west of Nacogdoches, to . . . — — Map (db m118974) HM|
|Born in Tennessee. In 1828 he and family joined Robertson's Colony, bound for Texas. Arrived in 1830, probably having stopped to "make a crop" along the way.
Lived in present Grimes County; was granted a third of a league of land in Robertson's . . . — — Map (db m118939) HM|
|This historic bridge was originally located on CR 263 (known locally as CR 180) over Rocky Creek. Constructed around 1905, the Warren pony truss measured 50 feet in length and is a rare survivor of a once-common structure. The single-span, four . . . — — Map (db m111910) HM|
In memory of
Colonel Benjamin Fort Smith,
Dr. Robert C. Neblett, Veterans of
The War of 1812
Colonel Benjamin F. Smith
Veteran of the Black Hawk War, 1832
Jared E. Groce, Joshua Hadley
William Robinson, delegates to the . . . — — Map (db m118943) HM|