Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Arlington, Massachusetts Historical Markers

 
Arlington Reservoir Marker image, Touch for more information
By Unknown, circa 1920s
Arlington Reservoir Marker
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Arlington — Arlington Reservoir
On this site Arlington erected a standpipe 1894 The Metropolitan Water Works acquired the standpipe and began to supply water to Arlington 1899 From the standpipe were also supplied Lexington 1903 Belmont 1909 The first standpipe . . . — Map (db m50842) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Arlington — Captain Cooke’s Mill Lane1630 – 1930
The road to Captain Cooke’s grist mill, built in 1638; the first water mill in this vicinity. — Map (db m43050) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Arlington — Cooper’s Tavern
Here stood Cooper’s Tavern, in which Jabez Wyman and Jason Winship were killed by the British April 19, 1775. — Map (db m18137) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Arlington — House of John Cutter
Site of the house of John Cutter. Set on fire during the British retreat, April 19, 1775. — Map (db m18140) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Arlington — Jason Russell House1630 – 1930
Built by Martha, widow of William Russell, about 1680. Occupied until 1890 by her descendants, of whom Jason Russell lost his life in the conflict of April 19, 1775. — Map (db m43052) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Arlington — Old Men of Menotomy
At this spot on April 19, 1775 the Old Men of Menotomy captured a convoy of eighteen soldiers with supplies on its way to join the British at Lexington. — Map (db m18138) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Arlington — Samuel Whittemore
Near this spot Samuel Whittemore, then 80 years old, killed three British soldiers April 19, 1775. He was shot, bayoneted, beaten and left for dead, but recovered and lived to be 98 years of age. — Map (db m18142) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Arlington — The Foot of the Rocks
1635 Menotomy 1807 West Cambridge 1867 Arlington This park is dedicated by the people of Arlington to the memory of Colonial Minutemen and British soldiers who met here in the first great battle of the Revolutionary War. British troops in retreat . . . — Map (db m18613) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Arlington — The Foot of the Rocks
In this neighborhood “The Foot of the Rocks” Henry Wellington, a commissioned officer of the War of 1812-14, and his wife Eliza Teele, natives of this town, made their home in 1819; in honor of his parents, and ancestors, this memorial . . . — Map (db m18615) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Arlington — Whittemore Park
“Uncle Sam”           The birthplace of Samuel Wilson once stood near the main crossroad of the Northwest parish of Cambridge, the center of the district known as Menotomy. Wilson, born on September 13, 1766, was only eight when . . . — Map (db m45243) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.