Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Auburn, Alabama Historical Markers

 
Auburn - Alabama Marker image, Touch for more information
By Tim & Renda Carr, January 16, 2011
Auburn - Alabama Marker
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn - Alabama
Settled by Judge J. J. Harper and others from Harris County, Georgia, in 1836. This region was opened to settlement in 1836-37 by the removal of the Creek Indians to lands west of the Mississippi River. Erected by The Alabama . . . — Map (db m39830) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn 1865~Present / The "Loveliest Village"
Side 1 Auburn 1865~Present Only one house was built in the village in the decade after the Civil War, and though the state took over the bankrupt college in 1872, the institution received no state appropriation until 1883. . . . — Map (db m79947) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn United Methodist Church Founder's Chapel
In 1836 Judge John Harper with 34 other Methodists from Harris County, Georgia settled here. They built a log structure on this site, the first church and school in Auburn. In 1856 church leaders inspired the Methodist Conference to open East . . . — Map (db m74442) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn UniversityAlabama’s Land-Grant University
This title given by Legislature in 1960 followed start of second century of growth in diverse services to state, nation. This act confirmed name “Auburn” used popularly from its founding by Methodists as East Alabama Male College in . . . — Map (db m39814) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn University Chapel
Side A: The University Chapel is the oldest public building in the city of Auburn. Built as a Presbyterian Church, the first service was held in the original Greek Revival-style building on September 13, 1851. Edwin Reese, spiritual leader . . . — Map (db m39831) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn WWI Memorial
In memory of The Auburn Men who gave their lives in the World War — Map (db m106948) WM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Baptist Hill
(Side 1) Auburn's first separate black community cemetery offers a rich source of the city’s black heritage. Much of the history is oral but it is known that a white man gave most of the land in the early 1870’s. The four acre cemetery . . . — Map (db m74453) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Cary HallBuilt 1940 — A Memorial to Dr. Charles Allen Cary (1861-1935) —
(Side 1) Dr. Charles Cary, a native of Iowa and graduate of Iowa State in 1887, came to Auburn in 1892 and taught the first class of veterinary medicine at Alabama Polytechnic Institute. He has been called the Father of Veterinary . . . — Map (db m74436) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Chewacla State Park(CCC)
Side 1 Under President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal (1933-1942), the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established to provide work for single young men. The CCC's Company 4448, Camp Alabama SP-12, began work in September 1935 to . . . — Map (db m85164) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — City Hall
Side 1 In 1846, Auburn's founder, Judge John J. Harper deeded the property on this corner to Simeon Perry, as town agent for two of the earliest public schools in Auburn. A member of the settlement party, Perry laid out the original . . . — Map (db m79948) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Desegregation at Auburn
The first African American student entered the library to register at Auburn University at this site. Acting on a court order, Auburn president Ralph Brown Draughon accepted the application of Harold Franklin as the first African American student in . . . — Map (db m90861) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Dillard-Lawson House
Built by Auburn merchant A.L. Dillard in 1894, the home was once part of the old Scott Plantation. It was one of the first homes in Auburn to have an indoor bath and electricity. An unusual feature of the house is the gray stone, for which Dillard . . . — Map (db m74445) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Ebenezer Baptist ChurchBaptist Hill — East Thach Avenue —
(Side 1) This simple frame structure was built by newly freed black men and women before 1870. The property on which the building stands was given to a member of the Ebenezer congregation in 1865, the year the War Between the States . . . — Map (db m74450) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Founders' Oak
This post oak started growth in 1850 and was 6 years old when East Alabama Male College was established. It was 33 years old when the Alabama Agricultural Station was established, 91 when the nation entered World War II, and over 100 when this site . . . — Map (db m74430) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — General James Henry Lane HouseWoman's Club of Auburn
The Lane House, built in 1853 at the corner of Thach and College Street, was home to several Auburn University notables, E. T. Glenn, Treasurer, leased it in 1873. Gen. James H. Lane, Aide to Gen. Stonewall Jackson and Head of Engineering, purchased . . . — Map (db m85165) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — J. F. Drake High School / Alma Mater
(Side 1) J. F. Drake High School J.F. Drake High School, formerly Lee County Training School, educated Black children of the community from 1958 to 1970. It bears the name of Dr. Joseph Fanning Drake. Drake consisted of 12 . . . — Map (db m74457) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Max Adams Morris / Max Adams Morris Drill Field
(Side 1) Max Adams Morris Max Adams Morris b. December 7, 1918, of Blountsville, Alabama, entered Alabama Polytechnic Institute (API) in 1938, was a varsity football player and became a member of "A" club, Scabbard & Blade, and . . . — Map (db m85166) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Noble Hall
Marker Front: The Greek Revival rock and mortar house was built by Addison Frazer (1809-1873) between 1852 and 1854 and served as the center for a 2,000 acre cotton plantation. Frazer owned 100 slaves and was on the Board of Trustees of . . . — Map (db m25988) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Pine Hill Cemetery
(Side 1) Pine Hill was established in 1837 and is the oldest cemetery in Auburn. Judge John J. Harper, Auburn's founder, donated almost six acres to the new town to be used as a community burying ground for white settlers and their . . . — Map (db m74474) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Robert Wilton Burton1848-1917
(Side 1) Near this site once stood "Four-Story Cottage," the home of Robert Wilton Burton. A one-story house with wide porch and bay window, Burton built it in 1885 with proceeds from the sale of four stories to children's magazines. Born . . . — Map (db m74440) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Scott-Yarbrough House
(Side 1) Colonel Nathaniel J. Scott, from Harris County Georgia, built this house, which he called Pebble Hill, on 100 acres in 1847. With its pyramidal roof and symmetrical lines, the frame house reflects the Greek Revival . . . — Map (db m74446) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Sigma Alpha Epsilon
The Alpha Mu chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon was founded on June 15, 1878 at the Agricultural & Mechanical College of Alabama (now Auburn University). John E.D. Shipp came to Auburn as a student determined to organize a chapter at a time when . . . — Map (db m66726) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Crescent
Front The Crescent was an exclusive train of Southern Railway (SR) and Alabama affiliates, Western Railway of Alabama (WRA), Atlanta & West Point Railway (AWPR), and Louisville & Nashville Railway (LNR). Excepting SR, these . . . — Map (db m98305) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Auburn Guards
. . . — Map (db m106949) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Auburn Guards Reviewed by Jefferson Davis
At the Auburn train depot on February 16, 1861, Jefferson Davis reviewed the Auburn Guards, the first Confederate military company thus honored. Davis was en route to his inauguration as President of the Confederacy. The Auburn Guards were comprised . . . — Map (db m74455) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Baughman-Honour-Stiles House
Designed by William Dryden Baughman and built by Fred Burk in 1929, the house was not finished due to the Great Depression. Because of its two-story turret and French Norman Style, it became known as "The Castle." In 1949, the home was sold to . . . — Map (db m74443) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Bottle
Built in 1924 and billed as the "the world's largest bottle", The Bottle (also know as the "Twist Inn") was built by John F. Williams, owner of the Nehi Bottling Company in Opelika, Alabama. A wooden replica of a bright orange Nehi soda bottle, it . . . — Map (db m85167) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Cullars Rotation / The Alvis Field and Cotton Rust
Side 1 The Cullars Rotation The Cullars Rotation is the oldest, continuous soil fertility study in the South and the second oldest cotton study in the world. It was started in 1911 by the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station . . . — Map (db m74463) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Lathe
Built in Selma, Alabama, during the early part of the Civil War for the manufacture of military supplies for the Confederate Army. During the war an attempt was made to move it to Columbus, Georgia to prevent its being seized by Federal troops. En . . . — Map (db m39815) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — The Old Rotation
Established in 1896 by Professor J.F. Duggar, the Old Rotation at Auburn University is: (1) the oldest, continuous cotton experiment in the U.S.; and (2) the 3rd oldest continuous field crop experiment in the U.S.; and (3) the 1st experiment to . . . — Map (db m74429) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Toomers Corner And The Bank Of Auburn
This famous intersection, now known as Toomers Corner was named for businessman and State Senator Sheldon Toomer who founded the Bank of Auburn here in 1907. He served 45 years as bank President and 25 years on the Auburn City Council. Toomers . . . — Map (db m39813) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Wittel Dormitory
Wittel Dormitory has long been admired as one of Auburn’s most significant examples of classic nineteenth-century design. Built in the early 1900’s by Samuel S. Wittel to house professional women, it also served as a home for three generations of . . . — Map (db m66725) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Wright’s Mill
Side 1 A popular recreation area for more than 100 years. Original dam located a short distance below Chewacla Lake Dam. Mill located on the west bank and ground both corn and wheat. Earlier mill owners from 1840's were Echols, Hiram . . . — Map (db m85168) HM

33 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement