Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Auburndale, Florida Historical Markers

 
"Flatiron" Triangle Building Marker on wall of building image, Touch for more information
By Tim Fillmon, December 24, 2014
"Flatiron" Triangle Building Marker on wall of building
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — "Flatiron" Triangle Building — Circa 1912
Because this building occupies a corner position on a triangular shaped lot, it has been historically referred to as the "flatiron" building, deriving its nickname from the triangular shaped electric clothing press irons popularized in the 1920's. . . . — Map (db m93173) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — Auburndale City Hall — 1927
The City of Auburndale was incorporated in 1911 and obtained a $60,000 bond in 1926 to construct a new city hall. Four proposed sites were presented as possible locations for the building until, after some indecisions, the City purchased a lot from . . . — Map (db m93171) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — Bayard Retail Building — Circa 1926
Ephraim M. Baynard built several commercial buildings and at least two residences in the City of Auburndale. Following a great fire in 1915 that destroyed the business district of Auburndale, Baynard eventually rebuilt his commercial building . . . — Map (db m93170) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — City's First Fire Engine — Chief James A. Hancock Jr. Building
This 1925 American LaFrance fire engine with its polished wooden bed and steering wheel, rare Italian tires and black leather seat was delivered to the City of Auburndale on June 23, 1925 via freight train. The City's first fire engine stayed in . . . — Map (db m93176) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — Ephraim M. Baynard House — 1894
Ephraim M. Baynard, born in South Carolina in 1861, arrived in Auburndale soon after its founding. By 1893, he owned one of the general stores in the community and acreage planted in citrus and tomatoes. As a highly successful grower, Baynard owned . . . — Map (db m93193) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — Ephraim M. Baynard House — 1894
Ephraim M. Baynard, born in South Carolina in 1861, arrived in Auburndale soon after its founding. By 1893, he owned one of the general stores in the community and acreage planted in citrus and tomatoes. As a highly successful grower, Baynard owned . . . — Map (db m93194) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — Patterson Retail Building — Circa 1916
Nearly all of the early commercial buildings in Auburndale were constructed from wood. As a result, three fires destroyed the heart of Auburndale's business sector in 1912, 1913, and 1915. The fire of 1913 was magnified by a great explosion that . . . — Map (db m93174) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — Seaboard Air Line Rail Depot — 1927
The Seaboard Air Line Rail and the Atlantic Coast Line Rail played a major role in the development of the City of Auburndale, intersecting each other in the City and bringing passengers and commerce from around the State and Country to central . . . — Map (db m93175) HM

8 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.