Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Avon, Connecticut Historical Markers

 
1st Company Governor's Horse Guards Marker image, Touch for more information
By Michael Herrick, July 7, 2010
1st Company Governor's Horse Guards Marker
Connecticut (Hartford County), Avon — 1st Company Governor's Horse Guards
1778 1978 1st Company Governor's Horse Guards Organized Militia – State of Connecticut 20 May, 1978 This memorial is dedicated to the Horse Guardsmen who have honorably served this illustrious cavalry unit since it's founding during . . . — Map (db m33060) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Avon — Avon
Avon This area, formerly Northington or the North Parish of Farmington, was settled in 1645non land that had belonged to the Tunxis Indians. It prospered as a farming community and, in 1830, after the construction and opening of the Farmington . . . — Map (db m33019) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Avon — Avon Veterans Monument
[ center panel ] Avon Remembers "No Greater Gift" Mexican War Sperry, Orrin Civil War Beman, Job Booth, Austin C Brewer, Gilbert F Buckley, Frederick O Calkins, Obed H Clark, Henry W Evans, Henry D Evans, Newton J . . . — Map (db m33168) WM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Avon — Birthplace of Wilford Woodruff 1 March 1807- 2 September 1898
Wilford Woodruff, fourth President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was born 1 March 1807 in a section of Farmington, Connecticut, known as Northington (now Avon). He and his parents, Aphek and Beulah Thompson Woodruff, lived in . . . — Map (db m92453) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Avon — Charter Oak descendant
State Tree of Connecticut White Oak Constitutional Convention July 1, 1965 John deKoven Alsop Delegate — Map (db m94515) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Avon — Constitution Oak
Constitution Oak 1902 Avon, Conn. Constitution Oak Centennial Celebration June 18, 2002 — Map (db m94497) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Avon — The Farmington Canal in Avon
In 1829 the Farmington Canal opened in Avon and operated until 1847. The Markers, here and across the street, show where it crossed the Albany Turnpike, now Rt. 44. They are made of the same sandstone used in in the Farmington Canal construction. — Map (db m92442) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement