Established, 1813. County seat moved here from Guyandotte and remained until taken to Huntington in 1887. Before the Guyandotte courthouse was chosen,court met at the home of William Merritt, 1809-1810, on Mud River near here. — — Map (db m73691) HM
Confederate Gen. Henry A. Wise’s army occupied the Lower Kanawha Valley in June 1861. Union Gen. George B. McClellan assigned the task of driving them out to Gen. Jacob D. Cox, who massed his troops in Gallipolis, Ohio. Cox planned to cross the Ohio . . . — — Map (db m73692) HM
Site of early Civil War battle fought
July 13, 1861. Border Rangers and
local citizens met on “Fortification
Hill” to repel an advance by five
companies of the 2nd Kentucky Infantry.
After firing several volleys, Union
troops made . . . — — Map (db m125932) HM
This park has been named Nancy Cartmill Gardens in honor of Nancy Hunter Cartmill. Mrs. Cartmill was the first woman to be elected Mayor of Barboursville and served from 1993 to 2001.
Major Cartmill was instrumental in attracting business . . . — — Map (db m125915) HM
This old toll house, built in 1837, stood below town of Barboursville on Guyan River bank; tolls collected on James River - Kanawha Turnpike from those using the ferry. Restored in 1950 by the D.A.R., Barboursville — — Map (db m64095) HM
Bridge named for Hershel "Woody" Williams, who as a corporal in 3rd Marine Div. during World War II won Congressional Medal of Honor for heroism against the Japanese at Iwo Jima, 23 February 1945. — — Map (db m73686) WM