Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Bay City, Michigan Historical Markers

 
"Ten Hours or No Sawdust" Marker - Side 2 image, Touch for more information
By Joel S., July 16, 2010
"Ten Hours or No Sawdust" Marker - Side 2
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L1413 — "Ten Hours or No Sawdust"
Side 1 When Bay City's sawmills opened in 1885, mill owners notified workers that wages would be 12 to 25 percent lower than in 1884. On July 6, 1885, Bay City millhands began to walk off the job. Their slogan, "Ten Hours or No Sawdust," . . . — Map (db m33693) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — Abraham LincolnDedicated to the Grand Army of the Republic — and the Women Who Served
Abraham Lincoln Dedicated to the Grand Army of the Republic and The Women Who Served Daughters of Union Veterans of Civil War 1861-1865 Lincoln’s Address Delivered at the dedication of the cemetery at Gettysburg, November 19, 1863. . . . — Map (db m131778) HM WM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L2122 — Center Avenue
Center Avenue presents one of the most spectacular displays of late nineteenth and early twentieth century residential architecture in Michigan. Between 1870 and 1940 Bay City's prominent citizens favored Center Avenue as "the" place to live. Early . . . — Map (db m33961) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — Charles B. & Georgiana (McGraw) Curtiss Housec. 1892
Charles came to Bay City in 1864 from Ithaca, NY, to work for sawmill owners Henry Sage and John McGraw, eventually buying the Bay City Dredging Co. His home's architecture is Shavian Manorial, a Queen Anne/Tudor Revival style named after the . . . — Map (db m33909) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — Cross Country Connections
Before the advent of the World Wide Web, indeed even before the advent of telephones and automobiles, it was the railroad that kept us connected. Communities to communities. Businesses to customers. People to one another. Americans to their destiny. . . . — Map (db m131789) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L2084 — First Presbyterian Church
Side 1 In 1848, James G. Birney and his wife led Bay City's earliest Presbyterian services in a schoolhouse. Birney, an elder in the church, twice ran unsuccessfully for president on the antislavery ticket. The Reverend Lucius Root organized . . . — Map (db m33696) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — George H. & Elva Shearer Housec. 1876
George began as a laborer in his father James' lumber business, eventually managing what became Shearer Brothers when his brother James B. joined the firm. The lumber, real estate and insurance company operated out of the Shearer Brothers Block at . . . — Map (db m131779) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — Keit's FloristMichigan Centennial Business
This plaque is issued by the Historical Society of Michigan in recognition of Keit’s Florist founded in 1856 for more than 100 years of continuous operation in service to the people of Michigan and for contributing to the economic growth and . . . — Map (db m131787) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L0858 — Trinity Church/Trinity Episcopal Church
(front side): Trinity Church Trinity Church grew from a small group of settlers served by Episcopal missionaries beginning around 1842. Church records credit William and Ann Fitzhugh with founding the church. On March 4, 1854, . . . — Map (db m33912) HM

9 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.