10 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Bay City
By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
Bay City Library
|Organized in 1912, the Bay City Public Library was first housed in the J. P. Keller Insurance Company office. The non-profit Bay City Library Association, also formed in 1912, spearheaded community fund raising efforts to operate the library. Land . . . — — Map (db m120755) HM|
|An election in the fall of 1894 resulted in the relocation of the Matagorda county seat from the city of Matagorda to Bay Prairie (now Bay City). D.P. Moore, the postmaster at the nearby small town of Elliott, owned property in the new town and . . . — — Map (db m96314) HM|
|During the early days of Anglo-American colonization in Texas, the Matagorda Bay Prairie area was an important route for people traveling between settlements. A convenient river crossing was a necessity, and a ferry was established on the Thomas . . . — — Map (db m89332) HM|
Born in Vermont. Came to Texas in 1824. Worked to establish the Republic. Represented Matagorda in the First Congress of the Republic where he served as speaker, Oct. 1836 to April 1837. At his death in Sept. 1837 left . . . — — Map (db m117462) HM|
| . . . — — Map (db m117470) HM|
Early home of the Karankawa Indians. Landing place of LaSalle in 1685. Settled 1822-1836 by colonists of Stephen F. Austin. The municipality of Matagorda organized under the Mexican Government on March 6, 1834. Became on March 17, 1836, Matagorda . . . — — Map (db m120752) HM|
To the memory of
"Lest We Forget." — — Map (db m120757) WM|
|Near the mouth of the Colorado River, 20 miles to the south, is the town of Matagorda, the second most important port of entry in early Texas. In the Civil War, center for rich farmlands and one of 8 Texas ports that blockade runners used for . . . — — Map (db m120750) HM|
|Established 1898, four years after founding of Bay City. Private bank. Owners: Henry Rugeley, Frank Hawkins. This building erected 1903, site of many investment transactions important to Texas Gulf Coast development.
Recorded Texas . . . — — Map (db m120754) HM|
Sugar cane mills were used to make syrup from the sweet sorghum cane that grew extensively along Caney Creek in the late 1800's and early 1900's.
Once the cane was stripped, topped, and cut, it was hand-fed into one side of the mill. A . . . — — Map (db m118408) HM|